Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Marriage of Hyuuga Hinata ❯ The Proposal ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two - The Proposal
 
 
The next day was rather a short one where Nori was concerned. Hinata met him at the mansion as usual and walked with him around the village. She started at the Academy where Konoha shin obis receive their training and finished at the Hokage Museum which told the history of Konohagakure no Sato. At about noon Nori ended the tour saying he had to make sure his wares were properly prepared for the trip.
 
 
As Hinata was heading home she discovered something. She was tired. She wasn't tired so much from physical exhaustion but from emotional exhaustion. Nori had been pretty good at keeping his word and not pressuring her about their betrothal and truth be known Hinata thought that he was actually a very nice guy. But having to escort him everywhere he went in Konoha had cut into her time with Naruto-kun. It seemed like if she was free he was out on a mission and if he was free she was with Nori. She could recall a few times when she was with Nori, either dining or just walking, and she would feel this killing intent coming from somewhere. She wasn't sure if it was Naruto-kun or not but she just wanted to go to him and reassure him that everything was fine. However before she could even begin to locate him the killing intent would disappear. And now she was going away to Suna with Nori for two weeks and the thought of being away from Naruto-kun for that long was taking its toll on her.
 
 
Well, at least she and Naruto-kun would be having a nice quiet dinner tonight since Nori has to prepare some correspondence before leaving Konoha. And since Nori was busy right now Hinata thought that she would visit her favorite sweet shop and have some tea and daifuki (soft rice cake with red bean jam). After placing her order Hinata sat outside watching the village she loved going about its everyday life. She noticed what looked like a Jounin instructor with his team of genins sitting about two tables away.
 
 
As Hinata watched them she thought about her genin days with Kurenai-sensei, Shino, and Kiba and of course Akamaru. Kurenai-sensei would also treat them to a meal after a successful mission. It was suppose to increase a sense of teamwork but what it really gave Hinata was the family closeness she never got at home. She always wanted to be a Jounin instructor with her own genin team but all the duties that come with being the clan heiress prevented her from taking on a group. Most of her friends became team leaders except for Sakura who was too busy at the hospital to lead a team and Shikamaru who was too lazy. Even Naruto-kun had a team. When Ebisu was permanently crippled during one of their mission Naruto volunteered to take on Konohamaru, Moegi and Udon as his own team. Hinata's internal ramblings were interrupted when the waitress brought her order.
 
 
As she settled down to eat, she overheard one of the genin asking their instructor who he wanted for the next Hokage. After the incident with Danzo it was decide that instead of a single candidate the Council would choose two or more candidates and then let the Jounins vote for the one they would follow. And if there wasn't a clear winner then the Hokage position would be selected from the top two candidates with another round of voting.
 
 
The Jounin looked at his students and said “There are a lot of good candidates out there but I'm hoping they pick Uzumaki Naruto.”
 
 
The second genin asked “Why, Sensei? My dad says that Nara Shikamaru should be the next Hokage.”
 
 
Then the third one said “Well my father thinks it should be Hatake Kakashi or at least the Hyuuga guy.”
 
 
The Jounin sat back in his chair and said “As I have said, there are a lot of good candidates but I will tell you what I think. I believe Hyuuga Neji can be eliminated immediately because though he is a very strong shin obi no one wants a Hokage who can be taken down at the slightest whim of a Main family member.”
 
 
This statement broke Hinata's heart. Right here was another reason the rift in her family had to be repaired. Neji was being punished again for something he had he had no control over.
 
 
Then the Jounin said “That Nara kid is a pretty good strategist and not a bad fighter when he is motivated but that the main problem. He isn't motivated enough to take the job seriously.”
 
 
The third genin piped up again “So what about Hatake Kakashi? I hear he's a great fighter. Wouldn't he make a good Hokage?”
 
 
The Jounin answered “Yes, he would make a great Hokage but he's a lot like the great Sannin Jiraiya. He would not want to be tied to a desk. He is more of a lone wolf.”
 
 
The first genin who started the conversation asked “Why Uzumaki Naruto, then?”
 
 
At this point the Jounin sat up straight and looking each genin in the eye said “Like I said before, there are a lot of great shin obis I would follow to the gates of hell and back again. But there is only one shin obi I would go through those gates with and that is Uzumaki-san. Because I know that if he is leading the charge then we actually have a chance of winning. And even if we were repelled I know that if there is a breath of life in any shin obi's body Uzumaki-san would make sure that person was not left behind.”
 
 
Upon hearing this Hinata smiled knowing that her Naruto-kun was finally getting the recognition he deserved. The rest of the conversation drifted off into bravery and teamwork so Hinata finished her treat and went home to relax for tonight.
 
 
When evening came Hinata left the Hyuuga estates and headed towards Yuuhi Kurenai's place. Even though she was meeting Naruto for dinner she wanted to be able to look her father in the eyes and not lie should he asked where she had been tonight. She felt the chakra of her temporary bodyguard following her. Since Neji was preparing for the trip tomorrow she had been assigned one of the other branch members as a guard while she walked to the old Sensei's place. As she entered the apartment building she felt his presence stop atop the roof of the apartment complex. Hinata took the elevator to Kurenai's floor, got off and walked to the apartment door. She softly knocked and soon she heard foot steps coming to the door.
 
 
When the door opened she politely bowed and said “Hello, Kurenai-sensei.”
 
 
Kurenai smiled when she saw Hinata and said “Hinata, what a nice surprise. What brings you out here tonight?”
 
 
Hinata smiled and said “May I come in? I have a favor to ask you.”
 
 
Kurenai's interest was piqued and so she stepped aside to allow Hinata to enter while saying “Certainly, you know I am always available if you need to talk about something.”
 
 
Hinata walked in the apartment and sat down on the sofa and waited for Kurenai to sit down and get comfortable before she made her request. She watched as Kurenai removed some of Asumakuzu's toys from the other end of the sofa and then sat down and gave Hinata her full attention.
 
 
Hinata prepared herself and said “I was wondering if you could create a genjutsu that shows us spending a quiet evening here for my bodyguard who is on top of the roof?”
 
 
Kurenai stared at Hinata closely for a moment and answered “Normally that would be impossible because of the Byakugan but if he stays on the roof there should be enough interference from the building itself to make that possible. But the next question is `Why should I?'”
 
 
Hinata looked down at her hands for a moment and then raising her head said “Tonight I want to spend the evening with Naruto-kun but I don't want anyone from my clan to find out.”
 
 
Kurenai then asked “Does this have anything to do with this Nori affair?”
 
 
Hinata just quietly nodded.
 
 
Kurenai sat back and said “Look Hinata, you're of age now so I have no right to interfere with your sex life but I will not be a party to an illicit affair.”
 
 
Hinata's eyes got wide and she quickly said “Oh no, Sensei. It is not what you think; we are only having a moonlight picnic. It just that I have to go to Suna tomorrow for two weeks and I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with Naruto-kun these past two weeks. So I just wanted ….” she softly said as her voice got lower and her head hung low.
 
 
Kurenai looked at Hinata for a while and then said “And how long are we supposed to be enjoying ourselves?”
 
 
Hinata looked up quickly and saw the warm smile on Kurenai's face and replied gratefully, “Only until midnight at the latest.”
 
 
“Well,” said Kurenai “then I will needs some chakra paper seals to keep it going consistently in case I am interrupted by Asumakuzu.”
 
 
Kurenai rose from the sofa and headed for a small hall closet. Opening the door she took a small wooden box from the top shelf and brought it back into the living room. When Kurenai opened the case Hinata saw a number of paper seals stacked neatly into bundles.
 
 
As Kurenai took out a bundle she said “I have these pre-charge with my chakra and I only have to set the design of the genjutsu on top of them to activate them.”
 
 
Hinata watched as Kurenai set out a dozen seals on the table in front of the sofa and then concentrate as she put her hand upon each one.
 
 
After a few minutes Kurenai sat back and said “Done. Now all I have to do is place these on the walls of this room and the kitchen and we should be all ready.”
 
 
As Kurenai placed each seal around the rooms she asked “Hinata, is Nori really all that bad a person?”
 
 
Hinata replied “No, not really. He does have a certain boyish charm just like Naruto-kun and if I had never met Naruto-kun I might even seriously consider marrying him.”
 
 
After Kurenai had finished placing the last seal she said, “Now, when I say the word `now' I want you to conceal your chakra. Do you understand?”
 
 
Hinata just nodded her head in agreement. Then Kurenai performed a few hand seals and said “Now!”
 
 
Hinata suppressed her chakra and looked around the room. She couldn't tell any difference so she asked Kurenai “Did it work?”
 
 
Kurenai smiled and answered “Yes. If your bodyguard doesn't decide to take a closer look then all he will see from up there are you and I having tea and talking. Now you must keep your chakra suppressed until you get a least two blocks away or he might detect it from all the other shin obi out in the night.”
 
 
Hinata smiled brightly and hugged Kurenai saying “Thank you, Sensei.”
 
 
When Hinata released Kurenai she said “I'll be back before midnight” and turned to head for the door but Kurenai stopped her and saying “Wait, you better leave this way.”
 
 
Hinata looked confused as Kurenai headed for the kitchen but followed anyway. Once inside she saw Kurenai moving the refrigerator away from the wall which surprised Hinata as the heavy unit seemed to move quite easily. Once the path was clear enough to step behind the refrigerator Kurenai made a few hand signs and a small panel opened in the wall leading to a ladder going down.
 
 
Kurenai stepped away from the wall and said “I had this installed a few months back in case of emergency. It leads to a tunnel underground and comes up in the abandoned building next door.”
 
 
This caught Hinata off guard and she said “Installed? Didn't the landlord object?”
 
 
Kurenai eyed Hinata with a puzzled look and replied “Didn't I tell you?”
 
 
When Hinata shook her head Kurenai continued “I bought this property and the one next door two years ago. I used my saving and the money I received after Asuma death to purchase it from the previous owner. After the attack by Pein and subsequent attack by Rock he decided living in a ninja village was too dangerous so he put it up for sale. With the income from this complex I will be able to choose which missions I will or will not take and still be able to spend time with Asumakuzu. I still don't know what I will do with the building next door but I have to keep it so I can have an exit from the tunnel.”
 
 
“Now I won't be able to reset the seal until after you've returned or your bodyguard might notice. You can use this route to get back in the apartment” Kurenai finished.
 
 
Hinata hugged Kurenai once more and stepped through the small door and climb partially down the ladder. She stopped as Kurenai closed the door and the passage way became very dark. She let her shin obi trained eyes become accustomed to the darkness and then preceded down the ladder until she came to the bottom. Next she moved through the passage about a hundred feet and then came to a second ladder. This one she climbed up until she came to a wooden panel above her head. She carefully pushed the panel up to peer out and see if anyone was around. Finding no one she quickly hurried out of the tunnel and closed the floor panel remembering it location for her return. As she quickly left the room she entered a dark hallway which had a few doors on the right and left and a door at the far end. She hurried down to the end of the hallway and listen to the door for any noise before slowly opening it. As the door cracked open she could feel the outside air flowing inside and she knew she had made it. When she stepped out she stayed close to the wall and quickly got her bearing. She was outside an abandon building which was north of Kurenai's apartment complex. The building itself shielded Hinata from her bodyguard's line of sight so she crept carefully away and headed for Ichiraku to meet Naruto.
 
 
As Hinata turned the last corner on her way to the ramen stand she saw Naruto in the distance waiting in front of the shop next to a large basket. As she sprinted the final distance she called out “Naruto-kun.”
 
 
Upon hearing his name Naruto turned towards the sound and smiled as he saw Hinata running towards him. As soon as Hinata reached him she hugged him tight burying her face in his jacket and enjoying the aroma that only Naruto-kun.
 
 
Naruto held onto Hinata and said “Wow, I didn't expect a greeting like this.”
 
 
Hinata rubbed her cheek against his jacket and said “I missed you so much.”
 
 
Naruto chuckled and said “As much as I am enjoying this I think we better get going before the food gets cold.”
 
 
Hinata pulled her head back without releasing her grip and looking down said “What's in the basket?”
 
 
Naruto replied “I dunno. I asked Ayame nee-chan to make us a dinner for tonight and when I came to pick it up she said not to open it until we were at our picnic site. Whatever is in there sure smells good.”
 
 
Hinata pulled back releasing her grip on Naruto and said “Oh?!”
 
 
Then Naruto picked up the basket which was actually a twelve inch wide by twelve inch deep by thirty inch tall container made from bamboo with shoulder straps for carrying it one one's back.
 
 
After placing the basket on his back Naruto grabbed Hinata's hand and said “Let's go. I know the perfect place for our dinner.”
 
 
Together they sprinted for the North Gate and then outside the walls of Konoha into the deep forest surrounding the village. As they got further away from the lights of Konoha their shin obi training took over their senses, heightening them to make the dark of night no deeper than twilight. After a short while they came to a clearing that sloped down into a small valley with a spring rambling through it. They stayed up at the top of the slope with a view of the night sky right above the tree line, the star twinkling like little diamonds in the sky. Naruto took off the basket and set it down and opening the top cover pulled out a blanket and spread it on the ground.
 
 
Then he sat down on the blanket and asked Hinata, “Well, what do you think? Do you like it?”
 
 
Hinata turned to look at Naruto and said “No.”
 
 
Naruto's face turned crestfallen and then Hinata smiled brightly saying “I love it! It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen!”
 
 
Naruto's smile returned and he said “Come on; let's eat before the food gets cold.”
 
 
As Hinata sat down across from Naruto he opened the front of the basket and saw that inside there were six shelves and each shelf had food on it. The display looked like a smorgasbord of different types of food.
 
 
Hinata saw all the food and said “Naruto-kun, all this is for us? We won't be able to eat it all.”
 
 
Naruto replied “I didn't know she was going to do all this.”
 
 
The bottom shelf was occupied by two thermos jugs. On the second level there were nigiri-zushi (pieces of tuna over vinegared rice balls), tekka-don (pieces of tuna over rice), chakin-zushi (vinegared rice wrapped in a thin egg crepe), inari-zushi (vinegared rice and vegetables wrapped in a bag of fried tofu) and odori-ebi (live shrimp).
 
 
Naruto and Hinata looked at the odori-ebi and each other and both said "No!"
 
 
There were condiments like oshinko (pickles), neta (sushi topping), wasabi (Japanese horseradish), gari (vinegared ginger) and shoyu (soy sauce).
 
 
On the third shelf were maki-mono (vinegared rice and abalone rolled in nori seaweed), tekka-maki (tuna-filled maki-zushi), kappa-maki (cucumber-filled maki-zushi), oshinko-maki (pickled radish rolls), umejiso-maki (Japanese ume plum and perilla leaf roll), negitoro-maki (scallion and tuna roll), toro-maki (marbled tuna roll), natto-maki (sticky, strong-tasting fermented-soybean rolls) and ana-kyu-maki (conger eel and cucumber rolls).
 
 
The fourth level held anago (conger eel), awabi (abalone), ebi (boiled shrimp), hirame (flounder), hokkigai (surf clam), hotategai (scallop), ika (squid) ikura (salmon roe), kani (crab), katsuo (bonito), mirugai (surf clam), ni-ika (squid simmered in a soy-flavored stock), nori-tama (sweetened egg wrapped in dried seaweed), suzuki (sea bass), tako (octopus), tamago (sweet egg custard wrapped in dried seaweed).
 
 
The fifth level had two bowls of noodles for the ramen. The top shelf contained the desserts. There was Anpan (a Japanese sweet bun filled with red bean paste), Castella (Japanese sponge cake), Hakuto jelly (Japanese style jelly made from fresh white peach), Imagawayaki (a bun made of batter in a special pan and filled with sweet azuki bean paste), Melon bread (a sweet bakery product), Dango (a Japanese dumpling made from rice flour), SÄtÄ AndÄgÄ« (sweet deep fried buns of dough similar to doughnuts).
 
 
Naruto thought “I wonder what's inside these” and then pulled out both thermos and gave one to Hinata.
 
 
Hinata took the one Naruto offered and asked “What is it?”
 
 
Naruto shrugged saying “I don't know. Let's open them and see.”
 
 
When Naruto opened his jug and took a sniff the sweet smell of ramen broth hit him and he smiled while saying “Mmmm, this is the ramen broth.”
 
 
When Hinata opened her jug and took a sniff she knew exactly what it contained. This liquid had been served at the end of many Hyuuga formal dinners and clan meetings.
 
 
She looked up at Naruto and exclaimed “Sake! Naruto-kun, this bottle contains Sake.”
 
 
Then she stared at Naruto and said “Naruto-kun, did you intend on using this to get me drunk and then take advantage of me?”
 
 
Naruto's eyes widen and he quickly put up his hands in a placating gesture while saying “No! No! Honest Hinata, I didn't know what was in these bottle! I swear! I would never do anything like that. I would never try to take advantage of you….”
 
 
As his voice trailed off he sheepishly looked at Hinata and asked “Would it have worked if I did?”
 
 
Hinata put her hands on her hips and harrumphed while staring at him.
 
 
Naruto just placed his right hand behind his head and said “Well, you can't blame a guy for asking, can you?”
 
 
Hinata stared at Naruto for a few more seconds and then relaxing her posture said “I'll have just one cup after dinner and that's all.”
 
 
The Hinata removed the bowls of noodles and poured the ramen broth over them letting them steep while she prepared their plates with samples of everything available. She made sure that anything she believed was made from soft-shelled fish ended upon Naruto's plate. When she felt that the ramen was sufficiently warmed she broke a pair of disposable chopsticks and handed them to Naruto with his bowl of ramen. Naruto dove into his bowl of ramen with his usual gusto so he finished before Hinata had eaten half of her bowl. When he started to reach for some of the food on his plate Hinata lightly rapped his hand with her chopstick.
 
 
When he looked up in surprise she handed him her bowl and said “Finish this first.”
 
 
Naruto was confused but he was never one to turn down free ramen so he smiled and dove into her bowl.
 
 
After he was finished with the broth Hinata said “Now I am going to feed you so put your head in my lap.”
 
 
As Naruto reclined with his head on Hinata's lap, Hinata grab a tekka-don and dipping it in the wasabi-soy mixture placed it in his mouth. Next she took kappa-maki, placed a little gari on it, took a bite and then fed the rest to Naruto. She continued to do this while occasionally leaning down to kiss Naruto deeply.
 
After the meal was finished Naruto rose from Hinata's lap, grabbed the bottle of Sake, the two drinking cups and stood up. The he reached down, took Hinata by the hand helping her to her feet, walked over to a nearby tree and sat back down in a notch created by the tree roots. With his back against the tree he beckoned for Hinata to sit between his legs with her back against his chest. After Hinata got comfortable he opened the bottle and poured one cup for her and one cup for him. Hinata gingerly sipped her sake and felt the burn while it traveled down her throat. Naruto just tilted his head back and drank it in one gulp.
 
 
After swallowing, Naruto declared “This is some of the best sake I have ever tasted” and then poured himself another cup.
 
 
In the time it took Hinata to finish her single serving Naruto had gulped down six servings.
 
 
Hinata looked up at Naruto from her position with concern and said “Naruto-kun, that's enough. You have had six serving already. You're going to be sick.”
 
 
Naruto just chuckled and said “Don't worry, Hinata. All I can get out of this is the kick and the taste. That stupid fox always burns off the alcohol before I can even get a buzz started.”
 
 
Hinata replied “Even so, I don't want you to reek of alcohol while you're holding me like this.”
 
 
At that statement Naruto put down the Sake bottle, placed his arms around Hinata's waist and leaned back against the tree. Hinata placed her arms atop of Naruto's and leaned into him and felt the warmth of his `pulsating' chakra engulf her.
 
 
After a while Naruto said “Don't the stars look beautiful tonight?”
 
 
Hinata nodded her head and replied “Yes, they really are pretty.”
 
 
“All of them look close enough to touch”, Naruto said.
 
 
Hinata was enjoying her closeness to Naruto so she didn't comment.
 
 
Then Naruto quietly said “Hey Hinata, do you want me to grab one for you?”
 
 
Hinata quietly giggled at the silly idea and replied “That would be very nice, Naruto-kun.”
 
 
“Okay,” Naruto replied, “how about that one right there?”
 
 
Hinata, deciding to play along, asked “Which one, Naruto-kun?”
 
 
Naruto replied “That one right there.”
 
 
Hinata couldn't see anything special about any of the stars and so she repeated “Which one? I don't see it.”
 
 
Then Naruto pointed the index finger of his right hand and said “That one right there. Don't you see it?”
 
 
Hinata tried to see better by squinting her eyes but still she could not see what Naruto was looking at and said “I still can't see it, Naruto-kun.”
 
 
Naruto held his arm straight and said “Here, lay your head on my arm and look straight past my finger.”
 
 
Hinata was beginning to think that maybe the Kyuubi hadn't burned all the alcohol from Naruto's system but decided to do as he asked. When she placed her head on his arm and looked past his finger she saw nothing at first but soon she noticed a blue sparkle just past Naruto's finger. As she marveled at it she began to notice it was getting brighter. Then she realized it was not only getting brighter but growing larger too. As she pulled her head from Naruto's arm Naruto made a sudden grabbing motion at the blue orb and then cupped it with his other hand. Keeping his arms around Hinata, he brought both hands in front of her and opened them slowly. Inside his hands was a small glowing blue orb about the size of a small hen's egg. Hinata recognized it as a rasengan but she had never seen one so small. As she marveled at the spiraling patterns and swirling hues of blue with wisps of purple and red, Naruto slowly let the rasengan dissipate.
 
 
As the rasengan slowly faded Hinata noticed a shape inside the disappearing ball. As the blue ball got thinner and thinner and the strange shaped became more defined, Hinata's eyes got bigger and bigger. When the rasengan had finally disappeared Hinata could not believe what was sitting in Naruto's hand. In his hand was a simple silver ring with three gems; the center gem was a blue sapphire and on the right and left side of the sapphire were two diamonds. The diamonds were one half the size of the sapphire and recessed slightly below the center gem.
 
 
Naruto took the ring from his palm and placing it on Hinata's ring finger said “Hinata, you have been the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't see me living the rest of my life with anyone else. Would you marry me?”
 
 
Hinata's hadn't heard a thing as her mind had shut down. Though she was still conscious, Hinata was ignoring all her senses except for her eyes which were fixated on the ring on her finger.
 
 
As she stared at the ring there was but one thought being repeated in her head; `This is an engagement ring!' `This is an engagement ring!'
 
 
When Naruto didn't get an answer to his question he repeated “Uh, Hinata. Will you marry me?”
 
 
When she still did not answer him Naruto placed his hand under her chin to turn her face towards his but he felt resistance as Hinata kept staring at her hand. Using a little force he was able to slowly turn her face to his but her eyes stayed focused on her hand. When Naruto covered her hand with his, Hinata finally regained her senses and slowly turned her eyes to look at him.
 
 
Seeing that he finally had her attention Naruto repeated his question “Hinata, will you marry me?”
 
 
Upon hearing Naruto's proposal Hinata immediately spun around and with her knees on the ground grabbed him around the neck in a fierce hug and said “YES!”
 
 
Then Hinata started to rain kisses upon Naruto's face, kissing his forehead, his eyes, both cheeks and finally his lips. As she deepen the kiss, Hinata poured all the love and passion she felt for Naruto in that one act such that when they finally separated it was Naruto's turn to be dazed.
 
 
After a few seconds Naruto returned to his senses and quietly uttered “Wow.”
 
 
Then Hinata moved so Naruto could put his legs together and then she sat on his lap and snuggled up beneath his chin.
 
 
As she kept looking at her ring Naruto said “You really like it?”
 
 
Hinata nodded and said “It is the most beautiful ring I have ever seen.”
 
 
As Hinata once again snuggled into Naruto chest she said “I love you, Naruto-kun.”
 
 
Naruto rubbed his cheek on top of Hinata's head and said “I love you too, Hinata-chan.”
 
 
Smiling Hinata said “I wish we could stay like this forever.”
 
 
As Hinata snuggled closer to Naruto she started thinking that maybe they should finally make love.
 
 
She thought “My father think I'm old enough otherwise he wouldn't be trying to marry me off.”
 
 
“Naruto-kun definitely loves me as much as I love him” she continued.
 
 
“And Kurenai-sensei is right, who I share my body with is no one's business but mine” she concluded.
 
 
Then Hinata's mind echoed “Kurenai-sensei” and she suddenly sat up just missing Naruto's chin.
 
 
Surprised Naruto asked “What's wrong Hinata?”
 
 
Hinata asked “What time is it?”
 
 
Puzzled Naruto looked at the night sky and said “About eleven o'clock I would guess. Why?”
 
 
Hinata rose from Naruto's lap and replied “We have to go. I promised Kurenai-sensei I would be back before midnight.”
 
 
While standing up Naruto asked “What has your old sensei to do this?”
 
 
As Hinata started gathering up their things she replied “In order to sneak out of the estates tonight I told my father I was visiting Kurenai-sensei. Right now she has a genjutsu running that shows me and her talking at her place in order to fool my bodyguard.”
 
 
At that moment Hinata stopped and looked at her ring and said “Oh, Naruto-kun. What are we going to do about Father and Nori?”
 
 
Naruto just walked up to Hinata and taking her hands in his said “Don't worry about them. I told you I was working on a plan and as a matter of fact it has already begun.”
 
 
Hinata looked in Naruto's eyes with hope and said “Really. Tell me all about it.”
 
 
Naruto just shook his head and replied “Nope.”
 
 
Puzzled, Hinata asked “Why?”
 
 
Naruto smiled and said “Because if it doesn't work I don't want any of the blame to fall on you.”
 
 
“But if it fails I don't want you to get into trouble all alone” Hinata replied.
 
 
She looked at the ring and said “Me accepting this ring says that if anything happens to you then it happens to me too.”
 
 
Naruto placed his right hand under Hinata's chin and tilting her head back gave her a slight kiss and said “If anything does go wrong we will face it together but I need you to trust me on this one.”
 
 
Hinata smiled and said “I do trust you. It just that we don't have much time left before I have to refuse Nori's request and then the Council will try to force me into a marriage of their choosing.”
 
 
Naruto just smiled and said “Don't worry. So far everything seems to be going according to the plan but I will tell you this. The Jounin's vote for the next Hokage is a part of the plan so I will explain everything after that happens. Okay?”
 
 
Hinata smiled and replied “Okay” and then kissed him lightly before saying “Now let's hurry before I'm too late.”
 
 
Gathering up all their gear and packing it away Naruto and Hinata sped back to Konoha.
 
 
When they were a few blocks from Kurenai's place Hinata stopped and said “I have to suppress my chakra and go on my own now to sneak back in.”
 
 
Then she focused her Byakugan towards the apartment complex and saw the guard still perched on the rooftop.
 
 
Turning to Naruto she said “Will I see you tomorrow before I leave?”
 
 
Naruto replied “You can count on it.”
 
 
Then Hinata leaned in giving him a quick kiss and then took off for Kurenai's. Following the same route as she did when leaving, Hinata was able to get back inside the abandoned building with no problem. After entering the tunnel and reaching the hidden door behind the refrigerator she realized that she had no way of knowing if anyone was in the apartment besides her old sensei. Deciding to take a chance she pushed on the door which made a small noise as it hit the back of the refrigerator and then both moved away from her effortlessly. After entering the kitchen she put everything back the way it was and walked into the living room where she found Kurenai on the sofa reading a book. Kurenai had heard the noise in the kitchen and carefully gripping her hidden kunai, just in case, waited for her visitor to appear.
 
 
Upon seeing Hinata she released her kunai, put down her book and said “How was your evening?”
 
 
Hinata smiled a dreamy smile and replied “Just perfect!”
 
 
Kurenai gave a warm smile and said “I see. And from that rock on your hand I'd say congratulations are in order.”
 
 
In her haste to get back Hinata had forgotten she was still wearing the ring.
 
 
Hinata pleaded with her sensei “Please don't tell anybody yet, it will ruin everything.”
 
 
Kurenai rose from the sofa and coming toward Hinata said “Don't worry; I'm on your side. In our previous conversations I just wanted to cushion the fall in case you and Naruto didn't work out. I think it is the best thing to happen to both of you.”
 
 
And with that statement Kurenai held out her arms and gave Hinata a big hug.
 
 
“You know I am so proud of you, growing from a shy little girl to the confident kunoichi I see before me” Kurenai said.
 
 
Hinata hugged Kurenai right back and said “Thank you, Sensei.”
 
 
Pulling back Kurenai said “Now let me probe where we are in the genjutsu.”
 
 
Releasing Hinata Kurenai moved across the room to each of the paper seals and upon reaching the kitchen she said “Here we are, in the kitchen. You're sitting at the table watching me wash the dishes. So come in and sit down right there.”
 
 
Kurenai pointed out the proper chair and then stood by the counter with her hands inside the sink and when Hinata was ready she did a few hand signs and released the genjutsu.
 
 
“Now if you can stay a little longer I liked to hear how he proposed” asked Kurenai.
 
 
Hinata and Kurenai moved to the living room while telling her sensei how the evening went and after she finished Kurenai said “I didn't know the boy had it in him. That was pretty good. Asuma had such a hard time asking me I almost ended up proposing to myself.”
 
 
Then standing up, Kurenai said “Well, it's late and I know you have leave for Suna tomorrow so I'll let you go now.”
 
 
When Hinata rose from the sofa Kurenai walked her to the door and then turned to embrace her saying “Congratulations again, your wish has come true.”
 
 
Hinata returned the hug and with tears in her eyes she said “Thank you, Sensei.”
 
 
When Hinata reached the main floor of the complex she removed her ring and placed it on the gold chain that she wore around her neck next to the locket she had received from her mother. After leaving the apartment complex Hinata felt the chakra of her bodyguard leave the building and follow her toward the Hyuuga estates. Once she passed through the main gates she felt her bodyguard move towards Neji's quarters where she assumed he was going to give his report about the night's `lack' of activity. When Hinata entered the manor she headed straight for her room however, in going to the sleeping quarters, she had to pass her father's study. She noticed the glow coming through the shoji screen signifying that her father was working late again. Though she loved him and knew he only wanted what was best for the clan, and as a consequence their family, she felt that somehow he had lost his way and had forgotten just how to be a father. Moving quietly she headed for her room and after entering placed her hand on her chest so she could feel the ring which nestled with her locket between her breasts. With her night clothes already laid out by one of the servant she quickly washed up and changed into her sleeping attire and nestled into bed. Tonight she knew she would dream of Naruto and if she was lucky maybe even dream of their wedding night.
 
 
Hinata awoke the next morning feeling great. Praying that last night wasn't a dream she reached for the chain around her neck and when she felt both pieces of metal through her night clothes she smiled and laid back to relish the feeling of being the future Uzumaki Hinata. After a few minutes Hinata realized it was time to get up and dress for the trip to Suna. Even though she knew she was not going to marry Nori she had given her word that she would give him a chance to change her mind. Though Hinata hated having the servants perform tasks for her she that she could do herself, she had to admit, when packing for a long non-ninja related journey, having someone to help you is truly wonderful. All her civilian clothes necessary for a two week period were packed by the servants last night while she was out. The only thing she had to do was verify that her ninja equipment was easy to access and choose a few pieces to be hidden on her in case of an emergency. Having done that she went to the bathroom to wash up and change into her traveling clothes.
 
 
When Hinata was finished dressing, making sure her chain was not visible, she grabbed the bag containing her ninja gear and personal items and headed out to the courtyard. There she found Neji and Tenten waiting for her, standing by the main gate, alongside the horse drawn carriage with her luggage and theirs plus any necessary supplies. Though Hinata was capable of defending herself she was still the clan heiress and thus it was necessary for her to have a bodyguard. Neji knew that with himself, Kajou Nori's entourage and the Hyuuga branch family carriage driver there was more than enough protection for Hinata. However Tenten was an excellent range fighter and since Hinata would be the only female on this trip, he felt having another female to talk to would make things much smoother.
 
 
When Hinata approached them she said “Neji nii-chan. Tenten-san, I didn't know that you would be joining us on this trip.”
 
 
Tenten grinned and answered “Neji thought you could use some female company and I thought it would be a great chance to get away from Guy-sensei for a while.”
 
 
Hinata giggled at that last line and then handed her bag to Neji who placed it in the carriage.
 
 
Then Neji said “Please give me your hand, Hinata-sama, and I will help you step into the carriage.”
 
 
Hinata looked at Neji and said “Neji nii-chan, I am perfectly able to walk to Suna just like the rest of you.”
 
 
Neji just replied “Hinata-sama, as clan heiresses it would be undignified for you to walk to Suna on non-shin obi business.”
 
 
Hinata just sighed and said “May I at least walk to the West Gate like everyone else?”
 
 
“That would acceptable”, Neji replied.
 
 
As Neji was about to turn and lead them out of the estates he saw Hyuuga Hiashi coming toward them.
 
 
“Hinata-sama, your father is here” he said.
 
 
Hinata steeled herself for the confrontation and turned around to face Hiashi asking “Father, is there something you need?”
 
 
Hiashi looked at Hinata and then stared at Neji and Tenten. Neji understood this to mean that Hiashi wanted some privacy so he ushered Tenten out of earshot.
 
 
Once they were alone Hiashi said “Hinata, you should make the best of this time to really learn about your future husband.”
 
 
Hinata calmly replied “Father, you know that I do not want to marry this man so no matter what happens on this trip nothing will change.”
 
 
Hiashi stared at her while not showing any reaction to what Hinata said and replied “For the good of the Clan and yourself it is necessary that you marry this man. You may not have agreed with my methods but I have always had your best intentions in mind. Now don't make me regret my choice.”
 
 
With that said Hiashi turned around and walked away without giving Hinata a chance to reply. Hinata was frustrated but for the life of her she could not truly hate her father so she just pitied him and the man he had become. Touching her hand to her chest so that she could feel the ring she calmed down and turned to join Neji and Tenten.
 
 
When Hinata reached Tenten and Neji, Tenten was fuming and said “Can you believe that? Are you going to just let him tell you who to marry and how to live your life?”
 
 
Hinata answered “He has his plans and I have my plans. Let's go.”
 
 
The group moved out of the estate's main gate and headed towards the West Gate of Konoha. As they neared the West Gate Hinata could see Tsunade speaking with Kajou Nori and to her left, opposite Nori, stood Naruto. They pulled along side Nori's horse drawn carriage and went to greet the Hokage.
 
 
As the group approached, Tsunade turned to greet them saying “Good morning Hinata, Tenten, Neji.”
 
 
The group bowed and replied somewhat in union “Good morning Tsunade-sama.”
 
 
Then Hinata turned to Nori and gave a courtesy bow saying “Morning, Nori-san.”
 
 
Upon hearing this Nori said “Please Hinata, just Nori.”
 
 
As Hinata rose from her bow she took a quick glance at Naruto and noted he was smiling at her.
 
 
“I see everyone is ready for the trip so I won't keep you any longer” Tsunade said.
 
 
Just then Tenten spoke up saying “Hey, Naruto, why don't you join us? I'm sure you would like to see the Kazekage again since he is one of your best friends.”
 
 
This caught Hinata off guard as she didn't know what Tenten was planning however Naruto declined saying “Sorry, I can't. I have to stay here for the Jounin voting.”
 
 
“Neji and I voted early” stated Tenten.
 
 
“Well, I want to wait for the results. Who knows? If I'm lucky you might have to bow to me when you return” Naruto said.
 
 
Tenten smirked saying “As if. And even if you did win, don't bet on me bowing anytime soon.”
 
 
Naruto chuckled saying “Dissention in the ranks already.”
 
 
As Naruto and Tenten bantered back and forth Hinata noticed that something was off. Though she could not tell what was wrong she knew something was just `not right'.
 
 
“As interesting as this conversation is,” Tsunade said, interrupting Naruto and Tenten, ”I said it was time for us to leave, gaki. So again, Nori-san, Hinata, Neji, Tenten, we will see you when you get back. Come on, Naruto.”
 
 
As Tsunade and Naruto left, Hinata realized what was wrong but in order to figure out why she would need to talk to Naruto alone.
 
 
At that moment Neji interrupted Hinata's thoughts by saying “Okay everyone, let's move out.”
 
 
Then Neji held out his hand to Hinata saying “Hinata-sama?” indicating he wanted to help her enter her carriage.
 
 
However before Hinata could answer Nori asked “Hinata, would you like to accompany me in my carriage?”
 
 
When Tenten heard this she thought “Yeah, fat chance of that”, however she was shocked when she heard Hinata reply “Thank you, Nori. That would be nice.”
 
 
Then Hinata walked over to Nori's carriage where Nori helped her to climb inside and sat opposite from him when he entered and sat down.
 
 
Totally taken aback Tenten moved closer to Neji and said “I don't believe it. When Naruto was around Hinata was acting formal to this Nori character but as soon as Naruto leaves she starts acting real cozy with him.”
 
 
“Hinata-sama understands the situation and she is reacting accordingly” Neji replied without looking at Nori's carriage.
 
 
While Tenten stared at Neji incredulously Neji's gave a signal and the carriages started moving out with Nori's leading the way followed by the Hyuuga carriage. Neji and Tenten were walking in front of Nori's carriage and Nori's bodyguards were walking behind Hinata's carriage. Normally the trip to Suna would take three days at ninja speed however traveling with civilians always took longer because, despite having horses, the horses were usually pulling a lot of weight.
 
The ride through the forests of Konoha was uneventful. Occasionally Hinata would point out a landmark tree and explain its history but otherwise the conversation was lacking. Usually when Nori would asked anything about Hinata personal life she would give a polite `yes' or `no' answer but she would never elaborate. Sometimes Nori would wonder what she was thinking and if she could ever like a man like him.
 
 
After a while the forest opened up into a small valley which was occupied by a tavern. The caravan made a stop there for lunch and a bathroom break. It was a light meal for which Nori offered to pay. On the way out Hinata noticed a small alcove which housed curios. She decided to go inside to take a look. In the small room were numerous shelves of hand carved wooden likenesses of Konoha. However one in particular was a likeness of the Hokage Tower with the Hokage Mountain in the background. The carving was so intricate that you could actually make out each face on the cliff.
 
 
Nori came up beside Hinata and said “That pretty good, don't you think?”
 
 
Hinata replied “It's beautiful.”
 
 
Then Nori said “If you like it that much it's yours.”
 
 
Hinata looked at his face and said “Thank you.”
 
 
This surprised Nori because all the other times he had offered to buy her a present Hinata had declined. After the gift was paid for, Nori and Hinata returned to the carriage and the caravan resumed their travel. Because of the small valley the road through the forest expanded a little giving Neji and Tenten a safer comfort zone while guarding the carriages. As they came to the end of daylight the caravan spotted the inn, where they would be spending the night, in the distance.
 
 
When they arrived at the inn Neji said “I will go in to see if the rooms are ready.”
 
 
Hinata replied “Thank-you, Neji nii-chan” and turning noticed the beautiful colors of the evening sky.
 
 
Nori walked up beside her and asked “Tonight, after dinner, would you like to go for a walk?”
 
 
Hinata turned to look at Nori and answered “Yes that would be lovely.”
 
 
As Tenten overheard the conversation she couldn't believe her ears. She was so sure that Hinata couldn't see any other man except Naruto and yet here she was going for a moonlit stroll after dinner.
 
 
Neji returned saying ”The rooms are ready, Hinata-sama. The owner will escort you and Nori-san to your individual rooms while I will make sure the luggage is brought up to your rooms.”
 
 
“Thank you, Neji-nii-san” Hinata replied and entered the inn with Nori.
 
 
As Neji conversed with the Hyuuga driver Tenten crossed her arms, walked over and stood by him.
 
 
“Yes, Tenten?” Neji inquired.
 
 
“Can you believe that? As soon as she away from Naruto she starts flirting with another man” Tenten replied with irritation.
 
 
“Hinata-sama understands her situation and she is acting appropriately. I suggest you leave them alone” Neji stated.
 
 
Tenten looked at Neji stunned and then shook her head as she walked away.
 
 
After the evening meal Nori asked Hinata if she would like to go for a walk now. Hinata nodded and rose from her chair and both Nori and Hinata headed out the front door. Tenten just sat there watching in disbelief. When Nori and Hinata stepped outside he slowly reached for Hinata's hand. Again he was surprised when she intertwined her fingers with his fingers. Previously when ever Nori tried to take Hinata's hand she always found a use for it. She would point to an interesting landmark, move a strand of hair out of her face or yawn lightly and excuse herself. They walked for a while toward an area where the land sloped down into a stream running behind the inn.
 
 
When they stopped, Hinata looked up at the stars and said “Isn't it just beautiful tonight?”
 
 
Nori looked at Hinata and said “Yes, you are.”
 
 
Suddenly Hinata spun toward Nori, hugged him and gave him a deep kiss on the mouth. Nori, to say the least, was shocked.
 
 
When Hinata broke the kiss and nuzzled her cheek into Nori's chest, Nori said in his normal voice “You know who I am, don't you?”
 
 
Hinata just nodded her head into Nori's chest and said “Of course, Naruto-kun.”
 
 
As Naruto held her he wondered “How does she do that?”
 
 
In the two years they have been dating Naruto had noticed that Hinata could somehow always tell the difference between him and his clones. At first he thought it was just a coincidence but after a while he had tried to fool her on purpose but she always seemed to know which one was him. He was hoping that using a henge would make a difference but right now that idea was shot down.
 
 
Suddenly Hinata pulled her head back and said “What I don't understand is what happened to Nori? You didn't hurt him or anything, did you?”
 
 
That question caught him off guard and Naruto chuckled saying “Uh, Hinata that was me. I'm Nori.”
 
 
Hinata shook her head with determination and replied “No, that was not you. Except for today you have never been with me disguised as Nori.”
 
 
Realizing what she was talking about Naruto smiled and said “Yes, Hinata, it was me or should I say my clones.”
 
 
Hinata replied “Oh” but then asked “How did you fool Father and the Council of Elders?”
 
 
“Actually I didn't have to fool your father because it was his plan from the beginning” Naruto replied.
 
 
This revelation caught Hinata totally off guard and Naruto could see the confusion in her face as Hinata thought “That's impossible. There's no way Father would do that! Why would he do that?”
 
 
“Yep, it's true” Naruto said.
 
 
“About three days before Nori appeared, I receive an unsigned message in my room that said “Meet me in the alley behind the theater at eight tonight. It's a matter of life or death” Naruto continued.
 
 
“Because the letter was unsigned I knew it was probably a trap but, you know me, I like an adventure” Naruto said.
 
 
Hinata replied with a weary voice “Yes, I know.”
 
 
“Well when I arrived at the alley it was all dark and gloomy and I was immediately reminded of the old detective movies we would watch in the theater. I imagined myself as…..” Naruto was saying before Hinata interrupted saying “Naruto-kun, please continue!”
 
 
“Oh, yeah, sorry about that Hinata” Naruto replied.
 
 
“Anyway I was walking through the alley looking for my mysterious `client' when suddenly I felt a hand in my back and an arm around my neck. A voice in my ear said `You would be dead now if I were a Hyuuga assassin. It is such a poor performance from a future Hokage'. Suddenly my attacker felt the kunai at his throat and a voice in his ear saying `It depends on which one you kill first'. Well my attacker push a pulse of chakra through my body in front dispelling it and at the same time expelled chakra from his neck to protect it while he began his Kaiten. My body in the back was force into the wall and it too disappeared and when my attacker stopped a kunai flew into the ground near his feet from above. When my attacker looked up he saw three of the Oni statues lining the roof of the theater suddenly change into me. All three of me spoke at the same time saying `Are we done yet, Hiashi? Because I can do this all night and I know that you will run out of chakra long before I ever will'. Your father nodded his head and then all three of my bodies disappeared and I came out from around the corner of the entrance to the alley.”
 
 
“I asked your father `Why do you want to talk to me and why here?' and he answered `What are your intentions with my daughter?' I was pissed and I said `What's it to you? It's none of your businesses.' Your father replied `I'm her father so I have a right to know what your intentions are.' I laughed at him and said `Father?! You don't have the right to call yourself her “father”; the way you treated Hinata while she grew up, the way you and the clan belittled her, physically abusing her during what you called “training” and mocking her dreams. I never grew up with a “father” but even I knew no one should treat their child that way. You know, if I wanted to, I could take her away from you. I could asked her to leave you and your clan and she would follow me but I don't because for some unknown reason she still loves her family and it would kill her if I made her make that decision. And I would never do anything to ever hurt her.”
 
 
“Hiashi looked at me with the same face he always wears and said `You have answered my question. I want you to marry my daughter'. Well when I heard that you could have knocked me over with a leaf. When I regained my senses I asked `What did you just say?' Hiashi replied `I don't have a speech impediment. I want you to marry my daughter'. As I just stared at him he must have seen the confusion on my face as he continued `The Council of Elders has been pressuring me to select an heiress to the clan. When I finally make my decision the daughter not chosen will be placed into the Branch family and branded with the Falcon Seal. I believe Hinata would make a good leader but she doesn't want the position. And, as you know, a leader who doesn't want to lead is a danger to a squad, to a clan or even to a village. I have been able to delay them by stating that Hanabi is not of age yet for me to make a final decision. As soon as I announce Hanabi's position as heiress the Council will force me to place Hinata into the Branch family unless she is already married into another clan before then. At this time I have the right to pick a suitor but he must be approved by the Council. However if she doesn't have an acceptable suitor after her twenty-first birthday, the Council is granted the right to select a suitor to ensure an heir to the clan. How assured are you that you will be elected Hokage?'”
 
 
“When he asked me that question I stuck out my chest and said `As sure as I am that I could take you in a fight'. After your father looked at me a while he said `We will need a distraction to fool the Council until you are elected. I understand you specialize in the Henge no Jutsu?' I said proudly `You should see my Oirke no Jutsu'. If that brought up any ideas to your father's mind he didn't show it and continued `Good, you will arrive at the Hyuuga estates in three days henged into a suitably dressed suitor. I can set you up with papers to give you a background'. I just shook my head and said `I've got that covered. Jiraiya-sensei had a lot of aliases while gathering information for the Village. One of those identities was of a rich womanizer from the Wave Country'. `Like that was a stretch' Naruto thought sarcastically as he continued `I know some important people in the Wave Country and I can get them to supply some papers stating that I am the grandson of Kajou Yoshi. My name will be Kajou Nori'”.
 
 
“`Good' your father said adding `when you arrive in three days you will be presented to the Council. You will have to convince them that you are worthy by yourself as I can not be there to influence them. One thing; you can not reveal your identity to anyone especially Hinata'. I couldn't understand why I couldn't tell you and asked `Why not?' He said `Her feelings for you are so strong that if she were to show any affections to Kajou Nori the Council would suspect that something was amiss'. I must emphasize that this plan will only work if you become Hokage as I can see no other way to block their decision without destroying the clan.' I looked him over and said `Don't worry, I will make it work'.
 
 
Then he said `Fine' and turned to leave but when his back was to me he said `Uzumaki-san, I do love my daughters but I also love my clan. It is hard to walk the delicate line between being a leader and being a father. You would do well to learn that lesson if you are to lead this village'. As he was leaving I was going to make some remark but then I realized there was some sense to what he said. You know Hinata; your father isn't as big of an asshole as I thought” Naruto finished.
 
 
Hinata's head was down against his chest when Naruto stopped talking and then he realized that his shirt was wet. Naruto looked down and put his hand under Hinata's chin making her look up at him. She was crying.
 
 
Naruto said “Hey, what's the matter?”
 
 
She softly replied “He loves me. I always knew he still loved me.”
 
 
Naruto placed Hinata's head back against his chest and just let her cry as much as she wanted while he held her tight in his arms. Later on in the evening after Hinata had collected herself they headed back to the hotel making sure to be only holding hands.
 
 
Before they reached the entry Hinata stopped and said “Nar….” caught her self and then she activated her Byakugan to search the area.
 
 
Naruto tensed and asked “What is it?”
 
 
Hinata found Neji and Tenten sitting in the lobby talking and the owner at the reception desk writing. She made sure no one was near and replied “I'm just making sure no one can hear us.”
 
 
Naruto relaxed and Hinata continued “Nori, so all those times in Konoha when you were angry were for my benefit?”
 
 
Naruto put his hand behind his head in traditional Naruto fashion and answered “Well, yes and no. I also wanted to make sure that anyone spying for the Council would believe that `Nori' was the real thing.”
 
 
“Well, what about that time in your apartment when I told you I was leaving. You had me on the verge of tears.” Hinata retorted.
 
 
Now Naruto was really feeling guilty and he answered “I know and I'm really sorry about that. I got carried away and I didn't realize I had over done it until I saw the tears in your eyes. Hinata, I nearly died when I realized how badly I had scared you and I hope to Kami that you'll forgive me.”
 
 
Hinata thought a while about how Naruto had never purposely hurt her before; as a matter of fact he usually went out of his way to try to protect her feelings.
 
 
Hinata realized that she would forgive him but tonight she was going to make him sweat so she said “Right now I'm tired and I'll let you know in the morning.”
 
 
Satisfied with that answer Naruto nodded and they both entered the inn where Hinata suddenly came to another conclusion. Neji had been leaving Hinata in the company of Nori on their last two stops. Though the first stop was short, this time she and Nori had spent a couple of hours alone. He has not trusted her care to anyone else before except to another Hyuuga bodyguard, Kurenai-sensei or Naruto-kun. That is when she realized Neji must know who Nori really is. Hinata wondered if Tenten also knew. She was thinking of confronting them when she remembered Naruto saying that nobody was to know his identity. So she decided to play along as long as it was necessary.
 
 
When she and Naruto reached Neji and Tenten she said “I am ready to retire now, Tenten.”
 
 
Looking at Neji she said “Good night, Neji nii-chan” and turning to Naruto she said “Good night, Nori.”
 
 
With that Tenten arose from her chair, said her goodbyes and she accompanied Hinata upstairs to their room.
 
 
When they were gone Naruto turned to Neji and somberly asked “So, do you drink?”