Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Troubled Reunion ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
Troubled Reunion
 
 
 
“No chakra?” Naruto asked obviously confused.
 
“But that's not possible!” Kakashi said, his eyes betraying his normally cool exterior. “All living things possess chakra, even if they aren't capable of using it the way shinobi can. Life itself isn't possible without it! Are you absolutely sure Sakura?”
 
Sakura looked at him with daggers for questioning her but she responded calmly. “Yes I'm absolutely sure Kakashi-sensei. You can check her out with your Sharingan if you want. You should be able to see it…or rather, not see it. I don't know how to explain it but she's lying there, breathing and alive, but with no chakra at all. That's why it took so much out of me to heal her.”
 
“Yeah I guess so.” Sasuke spoke up but in truth, he wasn't paying all that much attention. All he could think about was how Gaara kept calling Itachi `The Uchiha'. Like it was the name of some unspeakable bug. And while that shouldn't have bothered Sasuke seeing as he saw his brother in pretty much the same way, the tone with which Gaara said it was obviously intended to lump Sasuke under that same opinion. And he didn't appreciate that one bit.
 
“Not to mention that she shouldn't have been in a genjutsu at all without chakra.” Kakashi said thoughtfully. Everyone looked at him surprised as they digested his words.
 
“You're right Kakashi-sensei.” Sakura said sitting up straight. “Genjutsu is something that works on the opponents five senses by controlling the chakra flowing through and linking their cranial nerves. So how did he do it then? And so severely?”
 
“I don't know.” Sasuke answered being brought out of his thoughts by Kakashi's revelation. “It could be because it was the Mangekyou Sharingan but I've never met anyone without chakra (cuz they shouldn't exist) much less tried to put them in a genjutsu so I have no clue how or why it would work.”
 
“Wait.” Naruto interrupted. “What does the girl not having chakra have to do with you being so out of it from healing her?”
 
“Naruto, you really are clueless aren't you?” Sakura sighed in exasperation. Out of the corner of his eye, Sasuke could swear he saw Gaara hiding a small grin. “You know I use my chakra to heal people but that's only half of it. I actually use my chakra to manipulate the patient's chakra to cause the individual cells to repair and heal themselves. Seeing as this girl has no chakra that I can see, all of the effort was on mine and the other nin's parts. And seeing how badly she was injured…” Sakura looked away suddenly as though the mere thought disturbed her to her core.
 
“How badly was she injured Sakura-san?” Gaara finally spoke up.
 
“The bleeding has been stopped and most of the external damage has been dealt with but…that other part…” She looked at Gaara seriously. Naruto was surprised when Gaara suddenly hit the table with his fist.
 
“What other part Sakura?” Kakashi asked cautiously.
 
“I don't know what he made her see but while she was under this genjutsu, she was being beaten and raped. Violently and repeatedly. The injuries to her internal organs are extensive. Her lungs were almost crushed and…” She paused and whitened visibly. “She'll likely have a hard time breathing properly for a while. I did the best I could but in truth, Tsunade-sama's probably the only one who could heal her completely.” Sakura's eyes looked positively haunted by what she had seen.
 
Sasuke's attention was fully on Sakura now. “Itachi made her believe she was being raped? Repeatedly?” Sasuke felt sick and his sense of foreboding was tightening itself around his throat, making it hard to breath. What had his brother done? And for God's sake, why? He looked up when he felt Gaara's eyes on him. The malevolence in them was unmistakable. And he suddenly understood. Gaara was blaming him for what happened. He hadn't been able to kill Itachi who now was unleashing untold horrors on an innocent girl. Sasuke was angry but almost more than that, he was surprised that Gaara should care so much about some stranger. “Naruto was right.” He thought. “Gaara has changed.”
 
“That's horrible.” Naruto said through clenched teeth. “How could he do something so despicable to an innocent girl? What the hell could he have been trying to prove? Is she awake Sakura?”
 
“Not yet. The genjutsu took a lot out of her. She'll likely sleep for a day or more.”
 
“Then we have time to investigate.” Kakashi said standing up. “With your permission Kazekage-sama, we'd like to look around the area where you saw Uchiha Itachi and around the village for any clues as to where he would have gone or his intentions.”
 
“The shinobi team I assigned to the task were not able to find anything of use and evidence doesn't have a habit of staying put for very long here with the sand storms but you are free to search wherever you need to.” Gaara replied also standing up. Sasuke and Naruto did the same.
 
“Oh and I'll also ask you to please take care of the girl for a while longer. When she is awake and able to move, we'll take her back to Konoha with us to be treated by the Hokage. Then we'll get her home.”
 
“This girl was brutally and mercilessly attacked within the vicinity of this village and by one of our most hated enemies. She has the full protection and care from the sand village as long as she's here.”
 
“I knew we could count on you Gaara.” Naruto smiled at his friend but his eyes were haunted by what he had learned. Gaara nodded and the team turned to leave the room.
 
Sasuke made to leave but turned to Gaara one more time. “One more question Gaara. Did you happen to see Itachi's eyes when you found him on the roof?”
 
Gaara looked at him for a moment but answered, “No I'm afraid not. As soon as he saw me he disappeared. I did not have time to take notice of his eyes.” Sasuke nodded and turned to leave.
 
“Sakura perhaps you should get some rest for now. We can search around just fine ourselves.” Kakashi said, noticing how hard a time Sakura was having keeping her eyes open.
 
“I'll take her to where you'll be staying while you're here. And I'll alert all of you if the girl wakes up.” Kankurou looked at Sakura who nodded tiredly and followed him out the door. Kakashi and Sasuke followed and Naruto made to leave as well when Gaara spoke up.
 
“Naruto.”
 
“Yeah Gaara?”
 
“What the Uchiha did….it's unforgivable.” Murderous rage that hadn't been seen in Gaara in a long time suddenly flared in his eyes.
 
“Gaara.” Naruto was worried about Gaara. He'd never seen him so upset, and especially over a stranger. He spoke seriously. “Don't worry. He will NOT get away with it.” He turned to leave when Gaara interrupted him again.
 
“Naruto.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“It's…….good to see you again.”
 
This time Naruto's smile was bright. “It's good to see you again too Gaara. I'm glad to see you've got this whole Kazekage thing still under control. Makes me feel better about it when I'll have to do it back home.” He chuckled and left the room. Gaara watched him go and allowed a small smile to escape his otherwise stoic demeanor. He believed in Naruto and knew now that he was involved, things would eventually work out. Gaara sighed and set off back to the hospital to check on the girl.
 
As he approached the room he heard yelling and broke into a run. When he reached the doorway he was shocked the see that the girl was already awake and by the looks of it she'd tried to run. The medical ninjas had restrained her on the bed but that was having an even worse effect. She was struggling against her bonds and she was near hysterical.
 
“What are you doing? Release her!” He yelled as he ran into the room.
 
“Kazekage-sama!” One of the medical ninja's stepped away from the bed. “The girl awoke and started ripping the IV's out of herself. We restrained her so she wouldn't harm herself.”
 
“You know what happened to her and you do this? Can't you see what this is doing to her?” He rushed forward and ripped the bonds loose. The girl sat up with such force that she fell out of the bed but Gaara caught her and held her tightly enough so that she could not escape but gently so that she could still move. The girl fought Gaara for only a moment before collapsing against him, crying.
 
“Where am I? What is going on?” She cried into Gaara's shoulder. Her breath was indeed hitching shallowly and Gaara understood that Sakura had not been able to heal her completely. He said nothing but continued to hold her until her crying subsided. When she had calmed down enough that he could be sure she wouldn't try to run, he gently released her. She sat still on the floor with her hands over her face slowly trying to bring herself under control. Slowly her breathing eased but it was still shallow. Keeping one hand on her shoulder Gaara addressed the medical ninja's.
 
“Get Temari. She can keep an eye on the girl until Sakura-san has had a chance to rest. Also, find Naruto and the others. They will want to know she's awake.”
 
“Yes Kazekage-sama.” Both medics answered and in an instant they disappeared, leaving Gaara alone with the girl. He knelt down and gently pried her hands away from her face. Terrified brown eyes looked up at him. Gaara could feel the terror coming off of her in waves and while it used to be that this would have awakened his blood lust and pleased him to no end, now it was breaking his heart. Even Naruto would have been surprised at this reaction but even Naruto had underestimated just how much Gaara had changed. Once he delighted in causing terror and pain, now he worked hard to protect everyone important to him from being hurt. And even though he had no idea who this girl was, knowing what had happened to her and seeing her like this made him want to protect her even more. The difference in him was night and day but unlike anything else in his life, it made Gaara happy. It was all thanks to Naruto and he thought about what Naruto would do and say as he faced the girl and tried to convince her to calm down.
 
“You should return to bed. We have healed your wounds as much as possible but your lungs are still injured. If you move too much right now you may hurt yourself again.” He held out his hand to help her up.
 
She seemed to consider him for a moment but her tear-filled eyes looked him straight in his own as she took his hand and allowed him to help her back to the bed. Once she was sitting comfortably she asked quietly. “Who are you?”
 
“I am Gaara.”
 
She looked at him uncertainly. “Uh huh. And where am I?”
 
“You are in the hospital in the Village Hidden in the Sand.”
 
“The Village where?”
 
“The Hidden Sand village. We are the shinobi village of the Wind country.” Gaara raised an eyebrow at the confused look on the girl's face. “You have not heard of the Village Hidden in the Sand?”
 
“I haven't heard of the Wind Country.” The girl replied and Gaara's eyes widened in surprise.
 
“What is your name?”
 
“My name….my name…” Her eyes grew round and fearful as she answered. “I don't know!”
 
XXX
 
“Amnesia huh? Can't say I blame her. After what she's been through I wouldn't want to remember either.” Temari's tone was dark as she spoke to Gaara outside the hospital room waiting for the medical nin's to finish. She had arrived ten minutes after the medic had left to fetch her. In that time, Gaara had convinced the girl to let the medics examine her with the promise that they would not restrain her again and he would return soon. “I'm glad you were able to calm her down Gaara, it must be terrifying not only to not know anyone around you but more so that you don't even know yourself! But it seems that she trusts you and that's a start.”
 
Gaara was silent as he stared at the door. He had asked the girl a few more questions, none of which she was able to answer. She had begun to panic again but when Gaara moved to her she held her hand up and within a few moments, brought her emotions under control. When she looked at Gaara again, she actually managed a small smile! “I'm alright.” At Gaara's disbelieving look. “Well I'm disturbed and terrified as all hell but I am alright. I promise I won't make a fuss like that again. I'm grateful for the help you've given me, even if I can't remember why I needed it in the first place.”
 
“I will do everything in my power to help you get better and regain your memory.” Gaara said then, surprising even himself. The girl looked shocked for a moment but then her face melted into a true smile.
 
“You know what? I have no idea where I am or who I am but…I trust you. And I'll do whatever you ask if it will help things start to make sense to me. Just please…” She had lowered her voice at that point. “Don't let them tie me down again okay?” Gaara could see the fear in her eyes and nodded gravely.
 
“You have my word.”
 
“Gaara. Gaara! Are you listening to me?” Temari's impatient voice cut through his memory. He tore his gaze away from the doorway to look at his big sister.
 
“She does trust me. I have no idea why.” He said almost as if to himself.
 
“Don't you?” Temari asked surprised. “The whole village trusts you with their lives Gaara. And it doesn't take much to see you care about what happens to her. I'm sure she can sense that and that's why she trusts you.”
 
“She is foolish to trust me with her life.” Gaara said quietly, again almost to himself.
 
Temari just looked at him. She was about to respond when they were interrupted by Naruto, Kakashi and Sasuke. Temari greeted the three warmly, congratulating Sasuke on finally getting his head screwed on straight. Naruto laughed heartily at that. Gaara just glared at Sasuke.
 
“I'm glad the other medic was able to find you so quickly.” He said.
 
“We were still on the roof of your office Kazekage-sama. So we were able to make it here quickly.” Kakashi answered.
 
“Did you find anything?” Temari asked as though she really didn't expect a positive response.
 
Sasuke shook his head. “No Gaara was right. The frequent sandstorms in this area have obliterated any evidence that anything ever happened up there. It seems we lost his trail again.” He said the last through gritted teeth.
 
“Calm down Sasuke. I told you we'll find him.” Naruto chided him. “Besides, right now the girl and her condition are more important.”
 
“You're right Naruto. She'll be able to give us some information.” Gaara's glare became even more dangerous. Temari quickly spoke up.
 
“I don't think she'll be able to help you right now Sasuke-kun. For one she's still absolutely terrified about what's going on and two…it seems she has amnesia.”
 
Sasuke sighed. “That's not surprising. The Tsukuyomi is a genjutsu that is so fierce it breaks a person's spirit. The visions were probably so traumatizing that her mind suppressed everything in an attempt to keep itself from falling apart. Dammit!” He hit the wall with his fist. “We were so close and now our only lead is completely useless.” Gaara looked like he was having extreme difficulty not saying something but he was saved the effort as the door opened at that moment and the medical ninja's came out.
 
“How is she?” Gaara asked.
 
“For the most part physically she's fine thanks to Sakura-san. A couple of small cuts reopened but we've bandaged them for now and they pose no danger to her. We put the IV back on her as she's not yet ready to eat anything and emotionally she's recovering quite quickly. She was even making jokes with us.” The medical ninja shook her head in amazement. “I know she can't remember what Uchiha Itachi did to her but…she's strong. Still, try not to upset her, it makes her breathing worse and limit your visit. She's lost a lot of blood and even with the blood pills, she needs rest.”
 
“We won't be long.” Kakashi said brightly as he pushed his way past the medic. Everyone else immediately followed.
 
Sasuke's eyes went wide when he entered the room. The girl was sitting up in the bed with a few bandages on her arms from the cuts that had reopened when she had gotten upset. But the difference between the tortured soul he saw unconscious earlier and the bright face he saw now was extreme. She had shoulder length brown hair that was layered and framed her face and though she was still very pale her eyes were warm, bright and full of life. He could hear faintly the difficulty she was having breathing but she even managed a smile when she saw Gaara. However, Sasuke saw barely disguised fear in her eyes when she saw him, Kakashi and Naruto. Still, he couldn't help but respect her for trying to disguise it at all.
 
“So how are you feeling?” Kakashi said brightly when he reached her bedside. The girl did not answer him. The fear in her eyes was increasing by the second as she looked from Kakashi to Naruto to Sasuke. Gaara stepped forward.
 
“It's alright. They are my friends. Their comrade is the one who saved you and they are here to help you.” He introduced each of them, trying a little too obviously to hide the sneer as he said Sasuke's name. He purposely did not say his last name.
 
She did not look convinced. Naruto snaked around Kakashi and sat down in the chair beside the bed. “Don't worry about Kakashi-sensei. The mask is pretty weird, I've been trying to see around it ever since he became our teacher but he's actually a pretty nice guy…when you can tear him away from Icha Icha Paradise that is.” He chuckled and Sasuke saw the girl smile, although somewhat involuntarily.
 
Sasuke smirked to himself. “That's Naruto for you. He can bring a smile to the face of an enemy.”
 
“So you don't remember your name huh?” Naruto asked. The girl slowly shook her head. “Well that won't do. What the heck are we gonna call you? I know.” He snapped his fingers. “We'll have to give you a name for now until you can remember the real one okay?”
 
“Actually that's probably a really good idea.” She finally spoke. “After all, I wouldn't want people to address me as `hey you with the broken brain!' you know what I mean?”
 
Naruto just looked at her shocked for a second then he burst out laughing. Even Kakashi suppressed a chuckle. A genuine smile hit the girl's face, although the fear never left her eyes.
 
“But what to call you?” Naruto pulled a face as he thought. Temari took advantage of the momentary silence and stepped forward.
 
“By the way you were wearing this jewelry when you were brought here. We took it off so it wouldn't get broken while we were treating you. I've been keeping them safe for you” She handed over a silver bracelet of crescent moons with little crystals in the their centers. Along with a pair of silver crescent moon earrings.
 
“Gee. You think I like moons much?” The girl said eyeing her belongings. “They are beautiful though. Thank you.” She smiled warmly at Temari and slipped the earrings in. She held on to the bracelet as the IV was still in her hands.
 
“Then I think you should be called Mizuki.” Gaara spoke up. Everyone looked at him while he looked at the girl for approval. “It's means `beautiful moon'.”
 
She looked at Gaara for a second before smiling and nodding. Naruto yelled out, “That's awesome Gaara. Mizuki. It fits! Alright Mizuki-chan, we need to talk a little bit about what happened to you.”
 
Mizuki's face darkened but she pushed on. “Are you finally going to tell me what happened to me?”
 
“Well we're not exactly sure what happened to you Mizuki-chan.” Kakashi said. “All we really do know is that you were attacked by a criminal we've been searching for, for a long time. He placed a genjutsu on you that hurt you. Do you remember anything about that?” He watched her closely for her reaction.
 
Mizuki looked blankly at Kakashi. “He put me in a what? What the heck is a genjutsu?”
 
Kakashi looked thoughtful for a moment then said, “Never mind that. Why don't you tell us what you do remember Mizuki-chan?”
 
Mizuki seemed to think hard for a moment. “…Red light. I remember red light.” She closed her eyes, willing the image to become clearer. But after a few seconds her hands began to shake and she became even whiter. “I'm sorry. I can't see anything more clearly than that.”
 
“And there's nothing about your family, your home?” Naruto asked with genuine concern on his face. Mizuki gave a small smile at the look on his face but she shook her head.
 
“There's nothing. It's like my memory is a completely blank slate that's being written over with everything I'm doing now. Except for the red light and that…” She paused. “I don't think I want to remember that.”
 
“Why not?” Gaara asked.
 
“Because when I try to think about it, my heart starts racing and I feel afraid. More afraid than I think I've ever been.”
 
“It may have been when he first placed the genjutsu on her.” Sasuke thought to himself.
 
“Then you don't have to think about it right now.” Kakashi said turning to Sasuke. “Sasuke, use your Sharingan to see if we can confirm what Sakura said.” Sasuke nodded and looked straight at Mizuki. She stared hard at Sasuke, for the first time noticing his eyes. When she saw those eyes drill into her, terror filled her own eyes.
 
“No.” She whimpered. She dropped her bracelet and tried to push herself away from Sasuke. Naruto stood up and reached for her but she slapped him away. “NO!” She yelled. “Stay away from me! Don't look at me with those eyes!” She hid her face in her hands and her breathing became increasingly shallow. “Not those eyes. Not again!”
 
“Mizuki-chan.” Naruto said, feeling helpless.
 
“That's enough Sasuke.” Kakashi held up his hand. Sasuke blinked and the Sharingan was gone.
 
Gaara sat on the edge of the bed and put a hand on Mizuki's shoulder.
 
“Poor thing. She's shaking like a leaf.” Temari walked around the other side of the bed and stroked Mizuki's hair. “It's okay Mizuki-chan. It's over.”
 
“Interesting.” Kakashi said thoughtfully.
 
“Interesting? What the hell were you thinking Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto growled. He stood up and picked up the moon bracelet where it had fallen on the floor. He placed it into Mizuki's hand as she had uncovered her face. Which was whiter and more drawn than he had seen it. It took her several seconds before she could bring her breathing under control.
 
“Well first of all I wanted to see if Sasuke could locate Mizuki-chan's chakra.” He looked at Sasuke who shook his head.
 
“There's not a trace of any chakra anywhere. Not that it's possible but that's what I saw…or didn't see that is. And it's not as though it's being suppressed either. It's just not there.”
 
“Secondly, her reaction to Sasuke's Sharingan shows us that it was indeed Itachi who attacked her and not a copycat who was using henge no jutsu. We all know the Sharingan cannot be copied, even with a henge, it being one of the oldest and most powerful kekkei genkai's out there. And thirdly, since she reacted so strongly to Sasuke's Sharingan even though it wasn't the Mangekyou Sharingan it shows that her memory likely isn't buried that far beneath the surface. I am sorry Mizuki-chan.” He placed his hand over hers as she started to calm down. “I didn't want to put you through more pain but we needed to be sure.” Mizuki looked at Kakashi as though she didn't really understand but she nodded. Kakashi stood up. “Of course this leaves us with a most perplexing mystery.”
 
“Why is she here and alive if she has no chakra?” Naruto asked as though he wasn't really sure he was giving the right answer.
 
“Exactly.”
 
“Um…excuse me but what is chakra?” Mizuki asked a little irritated. “Everyone here keeps talking about it but I have no idea what the heck it is.” The others just looked at her.
 
“You don't know what chakra is?” Sasuke asked incredulously. Mizuki shook her head but would not look Sasuke in the face.
 
“Why don't I explain it to her? I think she's had more than enough of you clowns.” A voice came from the door and everyone looked to see Sakura standing there with Kankurou. She had a tired smile on her face.
 
“Sakura-chan what are you doing here? You're supposed to be resting!” Naruto ran to her at the doorway. Mizuki watched Naruto and her apparent saviour with interest.
 
“I'm fine Naruto. I did sleep some but when Kankurou came and told me the girl had awoken I had to come down here.” She gave him a reassuring smile which by the look on his face he didn't buy for one second. She walked past him and over to the bed. “Kankurou told me you have amnesia but other than that how are you feeling?”
 
“I'm okay considering. And we've decided that my name will be Mizuki until I get my memory back.”
 
“Oh yeah? Well it's nice to meet you Mizuki-chan. I'm Sakura and I'm going to officially order everyone in this room to get out now. I'm going to examine Mizuki and talk to her a little bit about the problems we're facing and then she's going to sleep for the rest of the day. Understood?” Her gaze dared anyone in the room to contradict her. Which of course everyone in the room knew better than to do. They filed out of the room one by one. Naruto yelled a `feel better Mizuki-chan' and `you better take your own advice Sakura-chan' before leaving. Gaara was the last to leave.
 
“You'll keep me updated Sakura-san?”
 
“Of course Gaara. I won't be too long.”
 
Gaara looked at Mizuki. “You can rest knowing you're safe here. I won't let anyone harm you.”
 
Mizuki gave Gaara a grateful look. “Thank you Gaara. For everything. Including my name!”
 
Gaara nodded and left.
 
Sakura looked after Gaara puzzled. “What was that all about?” But she shrugged it off and turned her attention to Mizuki. “Alright get comfortable. I'm going to explain everything to you about chakra and why you not having any is such a point of interest.”
 
XXX
 
It was a full two hours later when Sakura finally left the hospital room. She found Sasuke leaning against the wall in the hallway beside the door.
 
“How is she?”
 
“Fast asleep. I can't believe she woke up as soon as she did. The last time Kakashi-sensei was put in a genjutsu like that, he was unconscious for several days! She's also…” Sakura trailed off, remembering what Mizuki had said when she was examined.
 
XXX
 
“My breathing is not too bad Sakura-san but I'm still kind of sore in my lower stomach.”
 
“Here?” Sakura replied, gently touching the area just below Mizuki's navel. She nodded and looked at Sakura as though she knew there was something she wasn't being told. Sakura felt horrible. As a girl, she could only imagine what it would be like to go through what Mizuki had. Sakura didn't want to imagine it. And she was determined that Mizuki should not know until she'd had more of a chance to recover physically. There would be enough time to face her trauma later. “Oh I wouldn't worry about that. There's some scar tissue there from the attack but when we get back to Konoha my master will have you fixed up in no time. She's great like that.”
 
“You mean I can't stay here until I regain my memory?” Mizuki looked positively terrified. “I have to go to your home with….” She paused. “I can't stay here?” Sakura understood what she was trying not to say.
 
“Please don't be afraid Mizuki-chan. We're here to help you.”
 
“I'm not so sure.” Mizuki said with a sour look. “I think all you want is for me to regain my memory so I can help you find your enemy.”
 
Sakura was surprised that she had read Sasuke that well and that quickly. She feigned innocence. “What makes you say that Mizuki-chan?”
 
“I've lost my memory, not my hearing. I could hear `him' talking with the others earlier outside the door.”
 
Sakura smiled reassuringly. “Sasuke-kun's attitude is not my own nor is it Naruto's or Kakashi-sensei's. And besides, Sasuke-kun does really care about what happens to you, he's just….a little obsessed.”
 
“With the man who attacked me? The one who has his eyes?” Mizuki's tone was one of someone who had pretty much figured it out. But this was one secret Sakura didn't have the authority to share.
 
“Sasuke-kun is after this man's life. He has his reasons and believe me, they're worth being a little obsessed over.”
 
“Even at the expense of friendship?” At Sakura's shocked look. “It just seems to me that Sasuke is a bit of an outsider compared to you and Naruto. I can tell you're all close but with him it's different.” She seemed at a loss for words to explain what she meant. “I'm sorry. I think I'm just tired. I'm noticing things that probably aren't there.”
 
Sakura forced back her shock at Mizuki's accurate perception and said, “Oh don't worry about it.” And eager for a change of subject, she had started explaining to Mizuki the basic workings of the world she had forgotten.
 
XXX
 
“She's also what Sakura?” Sasuke prodded.
 
“Nothing.” Sakura wasn't going to talk about something so personal with Sasuke. Especially since Mizuki's perception had been so good. Sasuke didn't seem to care much about her, only what she could provide in terms of finding Itachi. So she stuck to the information he already knew.
 
“It's weird Sasuke-kun. She knew nothing and I mean nothing about chakra, shinobi, the five great countries, hidden villages or any of it. Things that even a farmer in the most remote village should know were complete mysteries to Mizuki-chan. Her memory has been completely wiped.”
 
“Even with her memory gone, it still doesn't explain why she has no chakra.”
 
“No it doesn't. We have more questions than answers right now and it seems like the only way to get any answers is to find Itachi.”
 
“And how do you suggest we do that?” Sasuke asked sarcastically.
 
Sakura glared at him. Worried or not, she was too damn tired to take any bullshit, even from Sasuke. “Think about it Sasuke-kun. Itachi attacked her here, left when he was discovered by Gaara and then he came back (albeit in shadow form). Don't you think it's altogether too possible that he'll try and attack her again?”
 
“Then we should have someone in there guarding her every second shouldn't we?”
 
“That's what I'm here for.” Temari appeared from around the corner. “Gaara sent me to baby-sit for a while so Sakura-chan can get some rest. Then she can relieve me in the morning.”
 
“Why doesn't Gaara do it himself? It seems the girl has become quite attached to him.”
 
Temari didn't miss the scorn in Sasuke's voice. “In case you've forgotten, Gaara is the Kazekage of the Hidden Sand Village. He's spent enough time away from his duties because of this. Now that Mizuki-chan is doing better he has work to do. And it is true that Mizuki-chan trusts Gaara but then again he doesn't scare the daylights out of her like you do.” And with that she walked into the room and shut the door behind her.
 
“I'm not my brother!” Sasuke yelled before Sakura shushed him.
 
“For goodness sake Sasuke-kun we're in a hospital!” She said urgently, remembering what Mizuki had said about being able to hear them. Sasuke said nothing but he stalked past Sakura, down the hall and out of sight. Sakura sighed. She could tell Gaara and Sasuke had a problem with each other, she just couldn't understand what it was about or why they had to be such pains about it. “Why can't we have an easy mission for once without the drama?” She sighed again and started off to give Gaara an update before heading to her room. She could practically hear the bed calling to her.