Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Return To Konoha ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6
Return To Konoha
 
 
The next morning dawned clear and bright over the hidden sand village. The sun shone a path through the entrance to the village and straight into Mizuki's hospital room where she was finishing the last of her breakfast while going through her traveling supplies with Sakura. In contrast to the day's bright greeting, Mizuki's demeanor was positively stormy. Frightening enough to not have any idea who she was or what had happened to her, she now had to leave the safety of the place where dwelled the only person she trusted in favour of traveling with people who, her instincts practically screamed at her, were only going to get her hurt. She felt as though all the strength she had summoned so far during these last truly strange days was leaving her with every item she packed. Her only comfort was that she knew Gaara trusted them. If he trusted them, she thought she could be strong for a little while longer.
 
She zipped her pack and slung it over her shoulders and Sakura did the same. “How's your breathing Mizuki-chan?”
 
“I'll live.” She replied rather subdued. Sakura nodded in understanding.
 
“Shall we go then?” They made it to the door when a knock was heard upon it. It opened before they could say anything and Gaara entered. Sakura saw the look on his face and said, “Um…I'll wait for you downstairs okay Mizuki-chan?” And she left.
 
Gaara stood motionless before Mizuki. He looked like he was having a very hard time finding the words he wanted. But Mizuki didn't have to be incredibly perceptive to understand. Without a word, she crossed the space between them and threw her arms around his neck. She felt him hesitate but then his arms enfolded her and he hugged her so tight she could feel her breathing restrict much more but she didn't care. As far as she and her screwed up memory was concerned at that moment, she was leaving her only friend. Her face pressed against his neck, she barely managed to whisper, “Thank you.”
 
Reluctantly, Gaara released her and stood back. He could see the tears hiding behind the smile she forced into her eyes and he was amazed to find that the strange, uncomfortable feeling had come over his heart again. It had been with him for a few days now, ever since he had first pried her hands away from her face and looked into her terrified yet warm eyes. It felt like years ago. He hadn't felt it in so long he was almost willing to believe he was imagining it. She reminded him so much of Matsuri. Her smile, her laugh and the way she always said exactly what was on her mind. He didn't say anything but he reached into a pocket and held out a small corked bottle with sand in it. He took it and placed it in Mizuki's hand.
 
“This sand is special. It is infused with my chakra and therefore with my will. If you are in trouble, open the bottle and it will protect you. Because it is my will to protect you.” He paused. “I am sure Naruto and his friends will help you regain your memory and find your home. But when they do…if you wanted to…you could…”
 
“Can I come back?” She blurted out what she knew Gaara couldn't say. “When this wonderful enigma that is me has been sorted out I mean…I'd like to visit again one day.”
 
“I would like that very much.”
 
Mizuki nodded and smiled with renewed energy. “Then I should get going. After all, the sooner I get fixed up, the sooner I can come back.” She walked over to the door and opened it. She turned back and gave Gaara an impatient look to follow her.
 
Gaara just shook his head with a small smile. He really was going to miss her.
 
XXX
 
A few hours later, the effects of her heartwarming adieu with Gaara had worn off and Mizuki was feeling nervous and moody again. She was determined not to reveal her nervousness to the others, especially Sasuke so she pushed herself on, keeping up with the others and even getting ahead of them, despite the feeling that her lungs were becoming the consistency of sandpaper. Sakura wanted to stop her from pushing herself so hard but Kakashi stopped Sakura from saying anything. “It's what she needs to do right now. We'll just have to stop for a break sooner that's all.”
 
But Mizuki surprised them all. She kept her pace up until well after the lunch hour though when they finally did stop, she could not keep silent her small gasps for air.
 
“And how long do you intend to keep this up?” Sasuke asked taking a sip from his canteen.
 
“I don't believe I know what you're talking about.” She answered back flippantly.
 
“You're going to end up making your condition even worse if you don't take it easy.” He lectured her.
 
“Aww Sasuke I didn't know you cared.” Sarcasm dripped from her voice.
 
“I'm concerned that you'll slow us down even more. It's already going to take us almost twice as long to reach Konoha as it would usually.” He shot back.
 
“What, you got a hot date you're gonna miss then?”
 
Sasuke glared at her and Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi sighed in unison. “And here I thought that she and Sasuke would finally start to get along.” Naruto thought as he watched the strangely comical and yet really not funny exchange happening before him. Mizuki had told them all the conversation she'd had with Sasuke yesterday after he had suddenly disappeared from her room. It had sounded like they were finally able to talk without irritating each other. “Huh, must have been a fluke. I guess they really can't be friends.” Naruto found however that he wasn't really upset about that. On the contrary, for reasons he couldn't quite explain to himself, he was glad that Sasuke and Mizuki didn't get along. Watching Mizuki verbally wail on Sasuke, he was reminded of the conversation he'd had with her yesterday.
 
XXX
 
Mizuki sat straight up as Naruto walked purposefully into the room, closed the door behind him and sat down in the chair. “What is it Naruto-san?”
 
“Nothing I'm just here to keep you company for a while that's all.” He answered and settled himself comfortably in the chair, resting his feet on the edge of Mizuki's bed.
 
She looked at his feet with an eyebrow raised for a moment but then found herself smiling. She didn't trust him as far as she could throw him, but out of all of the leaf ninja's, she'd found him the easiest to tolerate. He had a way of making her drop her guard without her even knowing it.
 
“Comfortable?”
 
“Very.”
 
“Oh I'm glad.” Resigned with having what Sakura had termed `the world's number one hyperactive, knuckleheaded ninja' as company for the next while, Mizuki sat back against her pillows and said, “So who did you tick off to get stuck with guard duty?”
 
“I volunteered actually. Sakura-chan was really tired after healing you, Gaara and Kakashi-sensei had work to do and I know you don't want to be in the same room as Sasuke so that left me.”
 
“My condolences.”
 
Naruto regarded her quizzically for a moment. “You are a really weird girl aren't you?”
 
“You should be careful Naruto-san, you could turn a girl's head with talk like that.”
 
“Huh?” Naruto looked at Mizuki confused momentarily before realizing she was being sarcastic and shaking his head. “Hmph. You may not like him much but you're just like Sasuke you know that?”
 
“There's no need to be insulting now.”
 
Naruto smiled. “Sorry but it's true. He's sarcastic like that. Always has been. I never understood it coming from him either.”
 
“That just makes you an easier target that's all.” She smiled smugly at him. “I'll probably be able to have a lot of fun at your expense.”
 
“Join the club.” Naruto groaned but he was smiling as he did it. Mizuki once again felt her defenses begin to dissolve.
 
“Just like the first time he spoke to me.” She thought as she watched Naruto get up to get a glass of water. “I was terrified of him but with one sentence he was able to make me smile. I hadn't even realized I'd done it until it was too late. What it is about him?” Naruto brought her a glass as well and sat back down.
 
“So I know you're worried about tomorrow and leaving here but from what Sasuke said, Itachi should be out of it for a while so we shouldn't have to worry about him.”
 
“Sakura-san said something to that effect earlier as well. But I'm not really worried about Itachi.” She played with the glass in her hands as she searched for the right words. “I don't know how to explain it but my fear of leaving tomorrow doesn't really have anything to do with the thought that he might attack again.”
 
Naruto's eyes clouded over. “You still don't trust us? Even after we saved you from Itachi?”
 
Mizuki shook her head. She was beginning to feel somewhat ashamed of her feelings of mistrust, at least where Naruto was concerned, but she couldn't help how she felt. “It's not personal Naruto-san. I wish I could explain to you what it feels like. It's like, with Itachi, I know he's after my life for some reason and even though I don't know exactly when he'll come after me again I know he will come after me so at least I can try to prepare myself. But with you guys…to be honest, I can't quite figure out what to expect.”
 
“I think I understand a little.” Naruto said slowly.
 
“Frankly, the only reason I'm going to be able to leave with you tomorrow is because I know Gaara trusts you completely. Especially you Naruto-san. Gaara holds you in really high esteem. As far as he's concerned, you changed his life. But even knowing that, I just can't make these feelings go away.”
 
Naruto seemed to study his hands for several seconds and did not look at Mizuki. She thought she could see a serious frown on his face. Just before she could say anything though he looked right at her with a bright smile on his face.
 
“Well if you can't take Gaara's word for it then I'll just have to work harder. I'll make you trust me if it's the last thing I do.” He grinned mischievously. Mizuki felt herself smiling again, almost against her will, but her heart was troubled.
 
“For a second there, I thought I'd seriously hurt his feelings.” She thought as he did a 180 and started going on about Konoha and how much he knew she would love Ichiraku Ramen. “But I guess I was wrong.”
 
XXX
 
“Are we going to have to listen to this the whole way home?” Sakura finally yelled in exasperation, bringing Naruto out of his thoughts. Kakashi eyes flicked up from his book at Sakura's outburst and both Sasuke and Mizuki stopped fighting immediately and looked at Sakura.
 
“Sorry Sakura-san.” Mizuki said sheepishly.
 
“Whatever.” Was Sasuke's reply.
 
“And on that cue,” Kakashi put his book away and stood up. “I think it's time we got going. We have a lot of ground to cover before dark. Mizuki-chan, please don't be afraid to tell us we're going too fast. If you wear yourself out too quickly before we're ready to camp for the night, we'll have to carry you.”
 
“Huh, like that'll happen.” She murmured as she grabbed her bag and followed Sasuke's already retreating form.
 
Two hours later….
 
“I'm really sorry about this Naruto-san.”
 
“It's no problem at all Mizuki-chan. You're as light as a feather.”
 
“Well I highly doubt that but if it's working for you, by all means keep telling yourself that.”
 
Naruto grinned as he heard Mizuki sigh and rest her head on his shoulder. Kakashi's prediction had come true just as they'd reached the border between the Wind and Fire countries. Mizuki had been keeping up a red hot pace despite her breathing troubles but had finally stumbled against a tree and it had taken several minutes for her to get her breathing under control again. After that, much to her extreme annoyance, Kakashi had insisted that she be carried until they reached the spot they were going to camp for the night. So she was now riding piggyback style on Naruto's back. The pro of this being that they could move a lot faster without having to wait for Mizuki, the con being that Mizuki felt like an idiot.
 
“Really, what was I thinking?” She said aloud without intending to.
 
“I know you feel the need to prove to us you're strong Mizuki-chan but I wouldn't worry about that. We all know how strong you are.” Naruto replied having heard her.
 
“Of course you really meant to say stubborn right?” Mizuki mumbled.
 
“Well yeah that too. But you're determined not to let your injuries keep you down. I
admire that.”
 
“You do?” She asked in real surprise.
 
“Of course.” He answered simply and said no more.
 
Mizuki rested her head as comfortably as she could, which was hard considering it was against something that was constantly moving, and closed her eyes. She hated with a passion having to be carried like some invalid. But she was really glad it was Naruto doing the carrying.
 
It was after dark when the group finally stopped for the night. They had made much better time with Naruto carrying Mizuki and they made it to the small clearing where they had spent the second night on their trip to the Sand village. Mizuki was really glad to not be moving anymore; there was a reason Naruto was a human and not a horse and her muscles were complaining about the difference rather loudly. She heard Naruto sit down next to her by the fire but she was somewhat lost watching the dancing flames and did not notice Sakura's dark look when he did.
 
Contrary to Naruto, Sasuke had seated himself as far away from Mizuki as he could. He prepared himself for Sakura's stare-a-thon but she was practically scowling into the fire and occasionally shooting dark looks at Naruto. Kakashi was lost in his own little world once again reading his perverted novel. Sasuke sighed and looked to where Naruto had gained Mizuki's attention with a joke and they talked and laughed for a while. Mizuki made several sarcastic comments at Naruto; most of which went right over his head and Sasuke found himself fighting a smirk. He couldn't help it. When it came to teasing Naruto, the girl was pretty damn funny. Eventually Mizuki yawned and excused herself to her sleeping bag. Sakura went not long after and Naruto got up, walked over to where Sasuke was sitting and sat down next to him.
 
“Are you going to carry her all the way back to Konoha?” Sasuke asked in an undertone.
 
“Are you going to fight with her all the way back to Konoha?” Naruto countered just as quietly.
 
“There's no law saying I have to like her you know.”
 
“And there's no law saying I have to hate her.”
 
Sasuke was silent for several moments before saying, “She's so weird.”
 
“You got that right.” Naruto smiled. “Even Gaara couldn't figure her out and they became really good friends before we left. Maybe things will become clearer when she gets her memory back.”
 
“Either that or they'll get more complicated.” Sasuke said thinking about the disturbing theory that had formed in his mind the day before.
 
“I think you're just looking for problems Sasuke. I think you're looking for an excuse to hate her.”
 
“I am not.” Sasuke said glaring at Naruto who was grinning mischievously back at him. “She doesn't like me and believe me, the feeling is mutual. You can be friends with her all you want, I want nothing to do with it.”
 
“I think I will thanks.” Naruto stood up and brushed himself off. “Get some sleep tonight huh? The problem will still be there in the morning.”
 
“Whatever.” Sasuke said morosely. Just as Naruto turned to walk away he said quietly. “G'night dobe.”
 
“Night teme.” Naruto said without turning around. Sasuke couldn't hide a small smile as Naruto retreated to his sleeping bag in the darkness. As annoyed as he was with the weird girl and the current circumstances, he couldn't help but feel extremely thankful once again that he was fortunate to have friends such as these. He was still getting used to the feelings of affection for his friends and he still had trouble showing it even after all these years but that was the best part. Naruto just knew. Sasuke went to his sleeping bag and fell asleep quickly.
 
XXX
 
Mizuki insisted she felt fine the next morning but Sakura's concern about getting back to Konoha as quickly as possible together with Sasuke's insisting how nice it was not having to wait for her to keep up ended up with Mizuki once again riding horseback with Naruto. Mizuki buried her head against the rush of wind as Naruto sprinted and did not speak to anyone for the entire day, despite Naruto assuring her he was happy to do it.
 
When they stopped for the second night they were very close to Konoha and could have made it if they'd continued running into the night but Naruto carrying Mizuki all day had tired him out so they decided to save the last few miles for morning. Mizuki went straight to her sleeping bag without dinner or speaking to anyone. Sasuke huffed his own disgruntlement and went to his sleeping bag not long after. Naruto, who was the most tired out of all of them, waited up until Sakura and Kakashi had retired then silently crept over to where Mizuki was laying. He could tell by her breathing that she was still awake.
 
“You alright Mizuki-chan?” He sat down next to her but facing away, giving her the chance to pretend to be sleeping if that's what she really wanted.
 
There was nothing for several seconds and Naruto was just about to get up when out of the darkness came the bitter reply. “I'm nothing but a useless source of information to you aren't I? A nuisance who has to be taken care of until you can get what you want from me. And don't ask me where I'm getting it from either. The only reason Sasuke is in such a hurry is because he wants me to get my memory back so I can help him find his brother that he hates so much.” At Naruto's small gasp, “Yeah I know Itachi is his brother, he didn't do a very good job of hiding it. Well what would you do if I did get my memory back and refused to help you find Itachi huh? Would you let Sasuke hurt me to get the information?”
 
Naruto was shocked by her accusation but he also noticed her tone and he understood what she was really trying to say. She desperately wanted to trust them but Sasuke was not making it easy at all and she was genuinely disappointed in his attitude towards her. But even though she claimed not to trust him still, Naruto was heartened by her last question. He knew she wasn't asking if he would let her be hurt, she was asking if he would protect her.
 
“Not at all.” He said simply but he turned towards her and looked at her as he said it. She had turned towards him and raised into a half sitting position as she spoke. The fire had burned down to almost nothing but he could see the fear and anger alight in her eyes. She was as alone as any one person could be and badly needed someone to count on. Naruto was determined to be that person.
 
He leaned in as close as he dared and whispered intently, “You're not prepared to believe anything I say right now anyway Mizuki-chan but I am going to say this and I'm only going to say it once. I care very much about what happens to you and I promise you on my life that whether or not you get your memory back and whether or not we find Itachi I will not let anyone hurt you and I will help you find somewhere you belong, whether it's in Konoha, back in the Sand Village with Gaara or wherever it is you're really from. I want to help you get better but I won't be able to do anything for you if can't believe in me a little.” His gaze was fierce when he started talking but it had softened by the time he finished. She didn't look away from his eyes the entire time he spoke and he knew she was appraising whether or not he was telling the truth. He saw her eyes become almost overwhelmed by emotion but she swallowed it back and turned on her side away from him.
 
“It's only a few miles to Konoha in the morning right?” Came the question so quiet he almost didn't hear it.
 
“Yeah, it should only take a few hours to get there.”
 
“I don't want to be carried tomorrow Naruto. Even if it is you. I don't care how impatient that idiot is. I want to walk into your village.”
 
Naruto smiled and was glad she couldn't see him do it. He understood. “Okay I won't carry you tomorrow. How about if I just walk beside you?”
 
She was quiet for several moments and he wasn't sure she would answer but she whispered, “That would be okay.”
 
Naruto smiled and got to his feet. He started back towards his sleeping bag but whispered to Mizuki one more time. “Try not to be too hard on the teme over there eh? He's been through more than you can imagine. And believe it or not, he's better than he used to be.”
 
XXX
 
Mizuki's mood was still dark the next morning even when Sasuke relented and agreed she could walk on her own the rest of the way to Konoha. She walked alongside Naruto in a gloomy silence. Every step closer to the Hidden Leaf Village was a step closer to her doom she could feel it. But once they cleared the surrounding forest and she set sight on the Village Hidden in the Leaves, she couldn't suppress a gasp.
 
“It's beautiful!” She gasped and despite her premonition of doom she found her pace quickening. She even passed Naruto in her haste to see more. The great gate towered above her and she could see several buildings stretching out before her. They seemed to be in a straight line aiming at a building that, she assumed, marked the centre of the village. It was larger than the others she could see and it was white with a red roof with a large kanji for fire on the front. And everywhere, dotted among the buildings were trees and plants of all kinds.
 
Mizuki was so taken by the beauty of the village she didn't hear Naruto call out for her to wait for them before passing through the great gates. She had barely taken two steps in when two figures appeared directly in front of her so quickly she was sure she hadn't even blinked. And before she could blink again, one of them had grabbed her and was holding her arms behind her so she could not move. Mizuki gasped in pain as her arm was twisted behind her and fought the rising panic she felt at being pinioned.
 
“Kotetsu-san, Izumo-san wait!” Naruto called as he ran into the village, the others close behind. Kakashi leapt over him and landed in front of the two guards.
 
“It's alright Kotetsu you can release her, she's with us.” Kakashi said to the ninja holding Mizuki. He paused for a moment but relented. Mizuki pulled away from him with such force that she stumbled straight into Naruto who had caught up at that point. Naruto caught her by the shoulders and massaged her arms while Mizuki shot the two guard ninja's a look that was at the same time furious and sheepish. She remembered Kakashi explaining to her that she would have to enter the village with them and not on her own or, being a stranger and unannounced, she would be restrained.
 
“I'm sorry Kakashi-san. I forgot what you told me earlier.” She said through hitching breaths. She stood up straight and tried to shake the feeling back into her arms. Or at least she would have if Naruto wasn't still holding her. “I'm alright Naruto-san.” Naruto was looking at her concernedly but didn't seem to have heard her. When she said his name again he blinked at her as if just noticing she had spoken. He quickly let her go.
 
“It's alright Mizuki-chan. As long as you are unhurt.” Kakashi said, taking note of how audible her breathing had become.
 
“I'm fine.” She said straightening herself and looking at the guards annoyed.
 
“Sorry Kakashi-sempai but rules are rules.” The one called Kotetsu said as Izumo walked back over to the booth they had previously occupied.
 
“It's no problem. We're just heading off to see Tsunade-sama about Mizuki-chan's health.”
 
“Yes to think about it I remember getting a memo about that a couple of days ago.” Kotetsu turned to Mizuki. “Sorry about that little lady. I hope I didn't hurt you too badly.”
 
Sasuke felt himself wince internally before Mizuki even had time to register what Kotetsu had said. “Little lady?” She repeated, her eyes narrowing. Sasuke rushed forward and gave Mizuki a suggestive push.
 
“Come on Mizuki, we shouldn't keep Tsunade-sama waiting. This way. Come on Naruto.” He grabbed Mizuki's arm and led her away towards the large building in the centre of the village.
 
Kotetsu scratched his head, clearly confused. “Did I say something wrong?”
 
XXX
 
Just as Sasuke was dragging a loudly protesting Mizuki away followed by an even more loudly protesting Naruto, a young Genin by the name of Konohamaru was running to the West training ground outside the West gate near the Hokage Mountain to meet his team. He was running really late and as a result he didn't notice the guards call hello to him. He also didn't see the shrouded figure hidden behind a clump of dense bushes just outside the gate. But he was on the path of a promising career as a shinobi and his senses picked up that someone was there. He skidded to a halt and looked back over his shoulder. The figure was barely discernable from the background as it did not move, it could have been mistaken for a rock if not for the slight but steady rise and fall of the shoulders as he/she drew breath and then exhaled.
 
Konohamaru was an expertly trained shinobi but he was still technically a kid. Instead of alerting the guards as he should have, he crept closer to the figure, concerned that it was someone in need of help.
 
He didn't even feel the dark veil close over his mind. His thoughts were crystal clear one second and the next, they were enclosed in pitch blackness. The only sense that seemed to be working was his hearing and all that registered was a soft, menacing voice whispering…whispering.
 
Konohamaru walked past the figure and proceeded several yards down the wall, away from the gate, until he reached an overgrown patch of bushes by an old sakura tree. Without a word he lifted the tangled branches aside, revealing a hole, long forgotten through the barrier.
 
Beneath the black hood, the figure smiled.