Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Generation ❯ Missions and Failures ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Don't own Naruto, only Ryu, Hitori, Shikato, Fuji, Kitaro and Koteshi
 
Missions and Failures
 
Sasuke stepped forward and rapped smartly on the Hokage's door.
 
“Come in.”
 
Turning the doorknob, both shinobi entered the office.
 
“You called, Hokage-sama,” Ryu said as he stood in front of the Hokage. Out of the corner of his eye, Ryu could see that Sasuke was leaning casually against the wall, scrutinizing them intensely.
 
“Ah, Captain Ryu, just the man I need. You've been promoted to Anbu captain recently, am I right?”
 
“Yes, Hokage-sama.”
 
“Perfect. I need you to find a partner and investigate whether the rumours of Akatsuki appearing at the borders are true or not. Who do you want to join you?” Tsunade looked questioningly at the shinobi.
 
Ryu smiled and replied, “Sasuke sensei.”
 
The Uchiha heir's eyes widened for a second before he composed himself. Pushing himself off the wall, he nodded once at the Hokage before exiting.
 
Tsunade continued, “Good. You will be leaving tonight. Report back here in two days time.”
 
“Understood, Hokage-sama.” With that, the Anbu captain turned around and disappeared.
 
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
 
The two ninjas met at the gates. Without saying a word, they took off.
 
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
 
Having reached the border in half a day's time, Ryu and Sasuke stopped for a rest.
 
“No traces of anyone so far, least of all Akatsuki.” Ryu slumped down against the tree trunk and grabbed two rice balls from his pack. Handing one to Sasuke, he started to eat.
 
Sasuke looked curiously at his student.
 
“Ryu, we've known each other for some time, yet I don't even know why your left eye is like this.”
 
Ryu gaped at Sasuke. Swallowing his mouthful, he laughed and said, “Some time is pretty much an understatement, don't you think? I mean, twelve years is a long time. Well, I was born like this. My left eye was always blind.”
 
Sasuke suddenly tensed as he sensed someone's presence above them. Looking up, he saw
 
“Kisame,” Sasuke ground out.
 
The Mist missing ninja landed gracefully in front of them. Lifting his Samehada, he brought it onto the ground with all his might. The two leaf jonin split up with Sasuke flanking the right and Ryu on the left. Sasuke ran forward as Ryu started performing the hand seals.
 
“Katon: Goukakyu no jutsu!”
 
A giant fireball forced its way through the forest, consuming everything in its path. Sasuke dove underground as the fireball made its way towards Kisame. He reappeared just as Kisame neutralised the ball with his water dragon jutsu. Shooting upwards, his chakra infused fist met Kisame's gut, forcing the Akatsuki member to double up.
 
Ryu slipped his hand into his holster before he felt a sharp stab at the base of his neck and everything went black.
 
Sasuke turned to glance at his partner just to see him pitch forward to reveal another Akatsuki behind him.
 
The Akatsuki waved at him.
 
“Hi! I'm Tobi,” he said cheerfully.
 
Sasuke looked at Kisame before snarling, “What the hell do you want?”
 
Kisame chuckled, showing all his pointed teeth.
 
“Our goal is to kill you Sasuke, that's all.” At that, the three ninja resumed their fight.
 
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
 
Ryu groaned as he felt the coppery taste of blood in his mouth. He slowly pushed himself up and saw Sasuke holding the Samehada's blade. He could see that Sasuke was growing weaker as the sword sucked his chakra. Standing up, he started as he saw another Akatsuki coming in for the killing blow. With Sasuke occupied, Ryu knew that if he didn't act, his sensei was dead.
 
Launching himself forward, he deflected the blow with his kunai. The man in the orange mask was surprised to see him.
 
“Hey! What happened?”
 
“You're my opponent now!” Ryu shouted as they traded blows. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion as Ryu could see every move that his enemy was going to make.
 
“What's going on? This is weird.” Ryu thought.
 
Tobi suddenly stopped and stepped backwards.
 
“Change of plans, Kisame. Let's go.”
 
The Akatsuki disappeared in puffs of smoke and left the Konoha shinobi feeling even more confused than ever.
 
The Uchiha heir walked over to his partner. He placed a hand on his shoulder as he said, “How did you manage to keep up with Tobi? He's pretty fast for someone without the Sharingan.”
 
Ryu turned to look at Sasuke just to see him take a step backwards. His face was paler than usual and shock was registered on his face.
 
“Your eyes…the Sharingan.”
 
Crimson eyes met crimson eyes as the shinobi faced each other.
 
“No way! You can't be an Uchiha!”
 
Ryu's mouth felt dry. “I…don't know what's going on.”
 
Sasuke did not respond. He seemed to be in a trance. Without looking back, he leapt across the tree tops towards Konoha, leaving Ryu staring at his back.