Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Road to Chunin ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was a cold December morning. December 1st, in fact. Yugao Uzuki shivered as she approached the Konoha graveyard. Sure enough, the usual white rose was sitting on Hayate's grave. Someone had been putting one there the first day of every month since Hayate died. All she knew was that Kakashi had sworn it wasn't him.
 
“I suppose being an ANBU, I could have this place observed next month,” she muttered to herself. “Still… Naw, let whoever it is have their privacy.”
 
It was at that moment that she realized what the first day of the next month signified. The start of the very event that had been going on when Hayate was killed. The start of the semi-annual Chunin Exams.
 
 
 
THE ROAD TO CHUNIN
By jak981125
 
 
“Get down, you silly twit!” hollered Sakura as she shoved Ino into the dirt. “Honestly, you worry about the dumbest things at the worst possible times.”
 
“Can it, Billboard Brow,” retorted Ino. “You know how much this outfit cost? And now it's ruined! Thanks a lot!”
 
“Well crawling through the dirt would have done that anyway. And who wears an expensive outfit to a training exercise anyway?”
 
It was a couple of weeks after the graveyard incident and the two of them were crawling on their bellies through a field under barbed wire while shuriken periodically whizzed over them. Ino had caught her skirt on the wire and had raised herself up a little to try and get it loose.
 
“Great. It ripped. Now my butt is exposed. I hope you're happy, Sakura. I really do.”
 
“I cannot believe you're even thinking about this right now,” groaned Sakura. “And besides, nothing's exposed except those leggings of yours. Now hurry up, we have a minute left.”
 
The two of them continued to inch their way forward a few more feet until they reached their goal. Lying in front of them, wrapped in bandages in order to simulate an injured comrade, was Izumo.
 
“Um, like help, I'm kinda dying here,” he said with intentional melodrama. “I forget what the script says is supposed be wrong with me but I'm sure it's bad. Uh-oh, Ino, you have a wardrobe malfunction in progress.”
 
Ino glared angrily at Sakura. Sakura did her best to stay focused. “You're supposed to have all four limbs broken and thus can't move yourself and severe internal injuries on top of that.”
 
“Wow,” replied Izumo. “And what was I doing that earned me all that? The only activity besides a really dangerous mission that would get you THAT banged up is peeping at the hot springs. Um… not that I would know.”
 
“It doesn't go into that much detail,” replied Ino. She and Sakura went through the motions of healing him with medical ninjutsu, giving him a plasma pill, and at the same time staying low and watching for enemies. They didn't have to wait long. Within fifteen seconds, Shizune and Iwashi Tatami, both disguised as enemy ANBU, leaped out from nowhere.
 
“Ino!” hollered Sakura.
 
“I'm on it,” replied Ino. She tossed a smoke bomb. The two picked up Izuma and leaped through an opening in the barbed wire using the smoke screen to cover them. The downside was a limit to their own visibility. They needed to dodge shuriken and avoid tripping over barbed wire, all while carrying a 130 pound man in poor visibility.
 
Just as they had managed to lose Shizune and Iwashi, Kotetsu appeared directly in front of them. Without exchanging so much as a glance, Ino let go of Izuma, and Sakura, bearing his full weight, charged off in another direction. It was smarter to hand Izuma off to the much stronger Sakura. Ino pulled out a pair of kunai and squared off against Kotetsu. Sakura conjured up a group of regular clones and had them disperse as a pre-emptive move if there were any further pursuers. This was a wise move as there were indeed several more potential pursuers lying in wait for any signal from Tsunade.
 
A loud whistle blast signaled the end of the exercise. Tsunade emerged from the woods nearby accompanied by several Chunin and Tokubetsu Jonin all dressed up in fake ANBU attire. She looked pleased.
 
“Not bad, not bad at all. Oh, and Ino, for heaven's sake, lose the vanity. Sakura, I certainly hope Izuma's limbs were healed BEFORE you two picked him up by his arms and legs. But overall you two pass with flying colors.”
 
“Thank you, Lady Tsunade,” replied Sakura. “Oh, and by the way, we splinted the limbs and in real life would have numbed them so he wouldn't feel it if we had to get out in a hurry.”
 
Tsunade glanced over at Izuma who was being freed from his splints by Kotetsu. “So you did. Interesting approach to the situation. Lets you deal with the critical injuries first. OK, you're both dismissed. Go ahead and put something warm on.”
 
Sakura and Ino didn't have to be told twice. It was freezing outside but neither wanted to risk wearing bulky winter attire for the training.
 
“Not to sound like Naruto,” said Ino, “But I could REALLY go for some nice hot ramen right about now.”
 
“I could go for a nice hot ANYTHING,” replied Sakura. “I'd suggest the hot springs but I don't trust Izuma's proclamation of innocence.”
 
The two of them giggled and ran off in the direction of Ichiraku's. Tsunade watched them go and grinned. She turned to Shikamaru, who had been among the Chunin ambush team.
 
“That ANBU outfit suits you well, Shikamaru. Ever think about joining up?”
 
“Hell, no,” replied Shikamaru. “That cloak and dagger stuff is a pain in the ass. I'm perfectly comfortable where I am.”
 
“Well don't get too comfortable. Life is something unpredictable that's constantly changing. Especially if you're a shinobi. Now you take those two for example. Their ability to adapt at the drop of a hat is perfect. Tell me… do you think they'll make it this time?”
 
Shikamaru sighed. “We're talking about the upcoming exams, aren't we? Well… no. Sorry but I don't think either of them brings anything impressive enough to the table to sway the feudal lords. I think Neji and Shino will be promoted this time for sure but the others are anyone's guess. Of course I could be wrong. I didn't see anything particularly impressive about myself either and look where that lead.”
 
“I'll tell you where else it's lead,” said Tsunade with a smirk. “It's lead to you being a proctor this time around.”
 
“What? What are you talking about? They're holding it in the Hidden Rain Village this year, aren't they?”
 
Tsunade sighed. “This is still classified. But no. We can no longer consider our alliance with that land valid. Some disturbing intelligence reports have been coming in. I can't give you all the details but the area feudal lords agreed at my suggestion that the faction that defeated Hanzo in the Rain Village Civil War cannot be trusted. Something's not right about them. They'll have to hold their own exams until we feel comfortable with their new leadership.”
 
“Good,” replied Shikamaru. “Their Genin sure loved to play dirty in that last exam. I won't miss having them this time around. Still, can't some other village take a turn?”
 
“Nope. Excluding the Rain was our idea and therefore we owe it to the other villages not to put a huge last-minute burden on their shoulders.”
 
“Can't you at least get another proctor?”
 
“No. Hayate died, Genma is on a long assignment in the Land of Water, and I'm sure as hell not doing it myself. I trust your judgment in proctoring the combat phase of the exam more than anyone else.”
 
“Damn.”
 
“Oh and be vigilant. Proctors are often approached with bribes by those with a financial stake in the outcome and occasionally assassination attempts will occur if a refusal is given.”
 
Shikamaru grinned. “You gamblers sure are an interesting bunch.”
 
“Hardly call it gambling if you only lose all the time,” muttered Shizune under her breath.
 
“I HEARD THAT!”
 
“EEP!”
 
---
 
Within 48 hours, notices were given to the various sensei via messenger hawks. Squad leaders were given one day to recommend and register their three man units.
 
“Three man?”
 
Kakashi looked up over the notice at Sakura. “Um, Sakura, unless you can become three people I think we may have a problem.”
 
“Kakashi Sensei, can't we get another two recent academy graduates to sign on with me? I told myself I'm not putting my life on hold just because Naruto and Sasuke are gone.”
 
“That's admirable,” replied Kakashi, “But think about what you're suggesting. All those kids graduated in mid-October. Barely even two months ago. No battle experience, probably all Class D missions, plus they already have sensei and teams of their own. It can't be done and even if it could, it just wouldn't be practical. Imagine going through the Forrest of Death with two teammates that are totally wet behind the ears. It would be suicide.”
 
“Are there any units I could join? I mean, what if one unit is short a member?”
 
Kakashi thought for a minute. “Well… now that you mention it… there is one. Just one problem.”
 
“What's that?”
 
“It's Asuma's team. Since Shikamaru was promoted they DO technically have an opening. But I'm sure there's a lot of demand for that opening. And… Well let's face facts. You and Ino haven't exactly been on real friendly terms.”
 
“Sensei, the Hokage herself would tell you that Ino and I are capable of working together perfectly well. You should have seen our last training exercise.”
 
“It's not up to the Hokage,” replied Kakashi. “It's not up to me either. It's up to Asuma to recommend you and it's up to her to accept or deny the recommendation. And frankly, Asuma thinks the two of you are both crazy.”
 
“Humph. Wears an ugly beard like that and says WE'RE crazy?”
 
Kakashi couldn't stop himself from laughing over that one. “Careful there, Sakura. If he takes you on, then for the duration of the exam HE'S your sensei. Wise not to insult a sensei's facial accessories.”
 
“Well I've gone this long without insulting yours,” replied Sakura in reference to the mask.
 
“And I thank you for it. Well, I suppose we'd better approach Asuma and try to reason with him as best we can.”
 
---
 
Gaara's eyelids opened slowly as he took in his surroundings. Around him was the same laboratory equipment he'd seen last night. Same diagnostic equipment was hooked up to him. It was slightly more quiet and the lights were dimmed now.
 
“How long was I out?” he asked.
 
“About four hours,” replied a technician. “How do you feel?”
 
“Hmm… perhaps a bit lighter.”
 
Gaara rose from a cot that was surrounded by a sealing circle and slowly removed the various sensors attached to his body. He had agreed to take part in an experiment to see if the Shukaku could be suppressed during periods where he was unconscious. Normally sleep would have been dangerous for Gaara. He could survive and function on no sleep due to the effects of having the Shukaku inside of him but it wasn't quite the same as the way a person who sleeps functions.
“I'm surprised to see you awake after such a short sleep,” commented the technician.
 
“I'm not sure my body enjoyed that,” replied Gaara. “Maybe that's why I woke up. I was dreaming. I don't like that.”
 
“Dreaming about what?”
 
“I don't want to talk about it,” replied Gaara quietly. He had dreamed about his mother.
 
“Well at least tell me if the Shukaku made an appearance in any dream.”
 
“No,” replied Gaara. “He must be mad at me for doing this.”
 
“Hell with him. You earned a rest. As far as the scans indicate, your pulse was a little slower than a person in a state of sleep should be and your body temperature was a little lower as well but all else seems normal.”
 
“Hmm… yes, I do feel a little cold. And hungry. Please excuse me.”
 
Gaara got up, put on the rest of his clothes, and walked out. The sky was starting to show the first signs of morning. It was cold. Nights in the desert are often cold and the fact that it was December wasn't making it any warmer. Nothing was open, no one was awake. Gaara was alone in the street with his thoughts. Well… not quite alone. As he looked up he noticed Baki standing on a balcony looking down at him. Baki waved to him and Gaara nodded in reply. Gaara didn't give it much thought really. Baki often worked night security detail. He continued on his way home.
 
Baki watched as he disappeared into the shadows. Another man in Sand Shinobi attire with a lab coat worn over that came and stood next to him. He was Shigeru, a village council member, a skilled physician, and the head of scientific research and medical services for the entire village.
 
“So, what do you think?” asked Baki.
 
“I'm seeing positive development,” replied Shigeru. “Everyone's commented on how his temperament seems to have magically changed. He's still sort of quiet but I don't see the hostility or signs of disturbance I used to. It's as if some inner conflict has resolved itself.”
 
“And the sleep experiment?”
 
“Well Baki, we've only done it once so it's too early to say just yet but he seemed to tolerate it pretty well.”
 
Baki looked up at the new morning sky. “He's strong as a lion. We need to make him steady as a rock as well. You know how important he may become to us. He's the son of the Fourth and the strongest shinobi in the village. And we've operated without a Kazekage for quite some time now.”
 
“Well you know my feelings on that,” replied Shigeru. “I favor a wait-and-see approach. We've functioned well so far with the council running the village and I think it would be a mistake to rush into anything hastily. Especially with Gaara. If for no other reason, I want him to feel at ease.”
 
“The people want a Kazekage,” said Baki. “And he has started to show signs of ambition. He trains so much harder these days.”
 
“What do you say we test him out a little?” said Shigeru. “We were going to let him retake the Chunin Exams in July. Why not have him enter earlier by putting him in the session that was just announced?”
 
Baki thought for a minute. “I'm sure he'll be up for it. Temari and Kankuro are another story. I spring this on them with a mere two weeks' notice and they're liable to have a conniption.”
 
“Perfect. We'll see how he handles their reaction.”
 
Baki sighed. “It was easier in the old days. They were scared of him so they'd do anything he said without objection. Damn family bonding!”
 
---
 
Asuma took a deep drag on his cigarette. “I'll come right out and tell you, I'm not crazy about this idea. My team's had outstanding chemistry up until now.”
 
“Any new addition is going to rock the boat somewhat,” replied Kakashi. “One way or another, it's not going to be Ino-Shika-Cho this time around.”
 
“I'll tell you who wants Shikamaru's slot more than anyone. Hanabi Hyuga. She became a Genin back in October and was pestering for it even before then.”
 
“I assume she's already been assigned to another squad,” replied Kakashi.
 
“She is, she hates it, her sensei has not and will not recommend that team for this exam. She's damn powerful but her two male teammates are just average rookie genin. She's actually gone to the Hokage herself to ask for a transfer. I was told by Lady Tsunade and by Hiashi that it's up to me.”
 
“I know you,” said Kakashi. “And I know all too well that you would have brought her aboard already if you thought she was the best candidate.” Asuma did not answer. Kakashi continued. “These kids have been through the exam together before, have been on actual combat missions; Asuma, they've been to hell and back.”
“Then we'll put them to a test,” replied Asuma. “My recommendation is due tomorrow at noon. So tomorrow at 6 AM sharp, they'll take the bell test together. One way or another, at 11:30, I'm leaving to give my recommendation. If the bells have been captured by then, Sakura gets the slot. If not, it goes to Hanabi. Oh, and one additional condition.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Not one word to Sakura or the other two about this. No chance to prepare, no chance to discuss strategy together. Just have her at the field by six.”
 
End Chapter 1
 
© 2009 Joseph Kerner
 
Disclaimer: Naruto is the creation of Masashi Kishimoto. This work is entirely fictitious. Any resemblance to any person living or dead is pure coincidence.