Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Road to Chunin ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
Hajime's funeral had a large turnout. All of Choji's Genin friends attended as well as the Sand team. Tsunade and Shizune came as well. Choji's father, Choza, was taking it very hard. Inoichi and Skikaku each kept a hand on one of his shoulders the whole time.
 
Hiashi Hyuaga stood a few feet away with Hanabi, Hinata, and Neji.
 
“I'm just so glad the three of you made it out alive,” he said softly. “Not that I doubt your abilities. You have the Hyuga fight within you. But no one wants to go through this. No one should ever outlive a child.”
 
The funeral ended and everyone went their separate ways. Grief-stricken or not, they had to get ready. Asuma was headed home when he sensed someone behind him. He turned around and to his surprise, Neji was following him.
 
“Oh, hey there. Didn't see you there. Did you need something?”
 
“Yes. I want you to train me.”
 
Asuma was surprised.
 
“I thought your uncle would be doing that.”
 
“I told him to train Hinata,” replied Neji. “It will do wonders for her self-esteem. But more importantly, I need your specific skills. I know Choji is being trained by his family, Ino by Shizune, and Sakura by Lady Tsunade. That leaves you available.”
 
“But what do you need from me?” asked Asuma.
 
“You're a wind user. So is my first round opponent. She's one of the most powerful Genin in the tournament and what's worse is that she's a long-range fighter. I'm a wind type myself but I have very little experience putting it into practice. I need your help or I'll lose.”
 
“Alright,” replied Asuma. “I'll have to see what you're capable of before we start.”
 
---
 
“I know what you're going to tell me, Gai Sensei,” moaned Ten Ten. “You're training Lee so I'm stuck. Probably end up with Ebisu or someone like that.”
 
“No, Ten Ten, not at all,” he replied. “While Ebisu is a qualified teacher, a fighter of your talents needs a proportionally talented sensei. And if that sensei happens to have expertise with weapons, even better.”
 
“So who did you get?”
 
Gai smiled. “I obtained the one Jonin in the entire village who can keep up with my level of skill. My lifelong rival in all things. Except he's late as usual.”
 
Kakashi appeared in a puff of smoke behind him. “Sorry I'm late. I was contemplating the sound of one hand clapping and lost track of time.”
 
“It sounds like this,” replied Gai as he clapped the fingers of his right hand against the palm.
 
“Ah. I see. Another one of life's mysteries solved and now I can sleep better at night. Are you ready, Ten Ten?”
 
“I guess so. Are you really a weapons expert like me, Kakashi Sensei? Or is Gai Sensei just calling in a favor?”
 
Kakashi responded by tossing a kunai at a crow one hundred meters away that was attacking a baby rabbit. He easily hit his target.
 
“Oh, a little of both, I guess,” he replied.
 
---
 
“Well Kiba, I guess it's just you and me,” said Kurenai. “Hinata's training with her father, Shino's doing the same with his. And yet you seem to have no particular desire to train with your own family.”
 
“Can you blame me?” replied Kiba. “You know how terrifying my mom is. My sister's a way better teacher but if I even suggested working with her instead, my mom would have a fit. But she has no excuse for being upset about me training with my own sensei.”
 
Kurenai laughed. “You're pretty whipped, aren't you?”
 
“Let's just say I lack strong male role models in my life. As such, `whipped' becomes a condition necessary for survival.”
 
“For the time being your survival depends on being able to defeat a couple of taijutsu experts,” replied Kurenai. “Ten Ten and Lee are no slouches.”
 
Kiba nodded. “If only I could use genjutsu this would be easier for both of us.”
 
“Most shinobi can't. The figure I heard once was that only 35% are capable to any useful extent. But don't worry. It's certainly not my only area of expertise. We'll focus on how to use that canine-style taijutsu of yours to get through the first two rounds. After that, it'll get trickier.”
 
---
 
“So what you're saying is that Ino's Chakra Scalpel cancelled out the Gentle Fist?” asked Tsunade.
 
“Sure looks like it,” replied Sakura. “That might come in handy. There are two Hyugas in this tournament, after all.”
 
“It might be a good defensive tool,” admitted Tsunade. “But you and I are alike in that our best offensive asset is our ability to hit so incredibly hard. No hand signals involved, just one quick kill with no preparation and no time for an enemy to react. However, against a Hyuga, it may very well be just the ticket. Just to be safe, let's devote equal attention to everything. Taijustu, medical ninjutsu, even some genjutsu while we're at it. And of course our regular training on avoiding getting hit. That's especially important since so much is unknown about your first opponent.”
 
---
 
“You're an odd one, Hinata,” said Hiashi. “A water type. Whoever heard of a Hyuga with a water type? I don't even know how to teach what to do with that. I guess this explains a lot of the differences I've noticed in you over the years compared to the rest of us.”
 
“But you can help me with taijutsu, can't you, Father?” she asked.
 
“Help? I can turn you into a wrecking machine if you can keep up with the training I'll give you. But I do want to take advantage of what you can do that the rest of us can't so that you can compensate for what you can't do. Your chakra element will affect all your jutsu. That includes taijutsu. That's why you can't use Heavenly Spin yet and maybe never will. We need a water expert to supplement your training.”
 
“Is there any water source in the stadium?” she asked.
 
“I'll talk to a geologist and find out if there are any underground sources beneath the competition area. Maybe they aren't frozen. I won't spare any resources here. It won't be just your reputation on the line here, Hinata. Once it becomes known that I'm training you personally, my reputation will be affected too. So like I said, I will spare no resource because you MUST pass. I know that will put pressure on you, won't it?”
 
“Um… yes,” replied Hinata.
 
“Good. You need to learn how to deal with that too. You'll be better off for it.”
 
---
 
“Hit that thing faster, Ino!” hollered Shizune.
 
Ino was swinging at a speed bag as rapidly as she could.
 
“You can't rely on what you told me,” continued Shizune. “You can't assume you'll be able to use Chakra Scalpel effectively against a Hyuga. If chakra points get shut off, all you'll have to rely on are your muscles and your fighting skill. And don't even think about using that Mind Switch thing at any point in the tournament. It won't help you.”
 
“Ugh, sometimes I think my clan's kekkei genkai is the worst in the village,” she replied.
 
“It has it's uses,” replied Shizune. “But in one-on-one combat, it will get you nowhere.”
 
“Oh, don't tell my dad I said that. Please.”
 
“My lips are sealed,” promised Shizune.
 
---
 
“So, more Usagi?” asked Temari.
 
“Maybe later,” said Baki. “I want to work on your wind control a wee bit. Let me see that fan a second.” Temari handed it to him. Baki picked up a stone and tossed it in the air. He was able to keep it in the air and have it change directions several times. “If you can do that one thing, you won't be lacking much.”
 
“Except maybe that Wind Sword technique of yours,” she replied.
 
“This is more important. This fundamental stuff. You make Jonin and I promise to teach you that. But poor fundamentals will be the undoing of any ninja.”
 
Temari tossed up a rock and tried it. It came crashing down. “Hmm… good point.”
 
---
 
“And what do you think you're doing?” asked Shikaku.
 
“I think that cloud looks a little like a poodle,” said Shikamaru with a grin.
 
“Isn't there something more constructive that should be occupying your time?”
 
“Dad, I memorized the tournament rulebook backwards and forwards. Ask me anything. I'm ready at a moment's notice.”
 
Shikaku smiled and shook his head. “It never even occurred to you that I might be talking about training. But hey, since you're not in this thing as a competitor I guess you can forego that kind of thing from now on, eh? I guess you're already perfect because you already made Chunin.”
 
“You sound like a dork when you get sarcastic,” replied Shikamaru. “I guess a jog to get the blood pumping to the old brain wouldn't hurt.”
 
“Not what I had in mind. Son, how'd you like to learn the Shadow Sewing jutsu?”
 
“The what?”
 
“Oh boy, do I ever have a good one to show you this time, Shikamaru.”
 
---
 
“I wish there was time to make a swordsman out of you,” said Kakashi. “If weapons are your forte, you must expand beyond projectiles.”
 
“Tell me about it,” replied Ten Ten. “That match against Temari was so embarrassing I wanted to crawl in a hole and die.”
 
“It's a shame that Hayate's gone. Now there was a guy who could handle a sword like a pro. No one could touch that guy when it came to fencing. Not even me, and I was ANBU. But in your case I think we'll try focusing on the nunchaku. Also we should focus on using a kunai in hand-to-hand combat rather than throwing it.”
 
“Got it,” she replied. “So no target practice for the seasoned pro, eh?”
 
“We might,” said Kakashi. “If we do, it's be trick throws though. Straight up projectile tosses telegraph way too much and everyone who knows anything about you will be expecting it.”
 
---
 
With Lee and Gai there was no discussion. They had known for months how to approach each and every single one of these fights and now it was straight up sparring and training. The two were amazing to watch. For all their quirks, they were very dedicated and talented. Their styles matched so closely and they were so used to one another that when they sparred, it was rare for either of them to land a blow. Lee never felt inferior around Gai. He knew Gai was just as incapable of using genjutsu as he was and that while he was capable of ninjutsu, he had no expertise in it. He had achieved exactly what Lee had his eye on: a taijutsu-only elite ninja. Someone who felt, thought, and experienced everything he did. This time, win or lose, Lee was going to show the world what he was made of.
 
---
 
“What you do with those puppets is impressive,” admitted Yura. “But a decent puppet master typically has a larger collection.”
 
“Granny Chiyo always said that quality matters more than quantity,” replied Kankuro. “So I decided to pour all my efforts into just a few.”
 
“Um, Kankuro, she did say that but she also has twelve puppets.”
 
“Oh.” Kankuro felt embarrassed.
 
“Most Jonin level puppet masters carry five,” continued Yura. “But that's where the quality ends. Usually they have one or maybe two good ones in their collection and the rest are crap. If you could master three at a good level of quality for each, I think you'd do better than any of them. That's why I have a surprise for you.”
 
“And it's not even my birthday,” said Kankuro with a grin.
 
“Smartass,” muttered Yura. He yanked out a scroll and summoned another puppet. “We never told you but we found the third and final piece from Sasori's stalker collection. Kankuro, meet Salamander.”
 
Kankuro was stunned. “Where did you find this?”
 
“There was a hidden passage in Sasori's old house no one knew about. The current owner just discovered this recently. It's attack abilities are limited. It can bite and hit with its tail and possibly use its claws. But defensively, this thing is beyond belief. We're going to have loads of fun learning how to use this bad boy!”
 
---
 
Shino winced slightly as he pricked his fingers with a kunai. His father pulled out a large scroll, and opened it.
 
“Just put your handprint and fingerprints here and sign your name in blood right here.” Shino did as he was told. “Now you have access to the summonings of the Aburame clan. Some of the gigantic bugs summoned from this scroll are older than the Hidden Leaf itself.”
 
“Hope they don't slow down with age,” remarked Shino.
 
“Not a chance,” replied his father. Just then the oldest bug's name disappeared from the scroll. “OK, maybe a slight chance.”
 
“Great.”
 
“Well that oldest one wasn't very strong anyway. What is of greater concern though is this: we are going to train you to carry way more insects than usual.”
 
“How come?” asked Shino.
 
“In a word: Gaara. He'll be your second round opponent and a massive cloud of insects might just be able to give his sand a run for its money. We'll specifically use beetles found in the desert in addition to our normal arsenal.”
 
“OK, but they better all play nice with each other. I don't want any beetle brawls inside my body.”
 
---
 
Choji struggled as he tried to pull a sled loaded with heavy rocks up a steep hill. His combat training for the day was done. But he just had to keep going. Stopping meant thinking. Thinking was bad. Too painful. Just had to keep moving. Had to make good on his word.
 
Suddenly the rope broke. Choji hollered angrily as the sled flew back down the hill and crashed into a tree, breaking it. Choji ran down to the bottom of the hill and surveyed the wreck. All of the sudden he snapped.
 
“DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT!” he screamed at the top of his lungs as he punched the rocks until his hands bled.
 
Suddenly he felt someone grab him and stop him from what he was doing. It was Choza. He yanked Choji to his feet and looked him in the eye. Choji broke down and started sobbing uncontrollably again. Choza wrapped his arms around him and held him tight.
 
“I know. I know son. It hurts.”
 
“He didn't belong there,” sobbed Choji. “If we'd just taken that damn scroll away from him he'd still be alive.”
 
“And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass so much. Choji, he's not dead because of you. Nobody is blaming you. Not your aunt and uncle, not me, not anyone. It just happened. This is a dangerous profession and if there weren't so many sociopathic assholes with power in the world we could live in peace and we wouldn't have to bury so many people we love. But that's just not how it is, and that's that.”
 
Choji was silent for a moment. “Isn't this exam business sociopathic? Kids fighting to the death?”
 
“We've never found a way around it,” replied Choza. “How else can you figure out if someone has what it takes to make it as a Chunin? If you can figure out an answer to that, believe me, there's no lack of worried parents that would hear you out. But in the meantime, people's lives are riding on the suitability of a ninja to handle his assignments and protect his team. Without quality ninja, political systems fall and people live as slaves to evil tyrants.”
 
“My little cousin's life was the price of freedom. Well that's just wonderful. What a world.”
 
“What a world indeed,” replied Choza. “Let's get those hands of yours fixed up. Your mother's under enough stress as it is without worrying about you injuring yourself training. Then let's get home. She'll have supper on by then. And do try to keep one thing in mind. The object is not kids killing each other. Not here. It can and does happen but the test is supposed to measure skill and ability. Keep that in mind as you prepare.”
 
---
 
“Have you felt the Shukaku's presence at all lately, Gaara?”
 
“Not particularly,” he replied.
 
Shigeru and Gaara were perched on the roof of a tall building near the Leaf Hospital. Gaara was trying to create small hands of sand and then make them stack checkers without knocking them over.
 
“I want you to take as much conscious control over the sand as possible,” said Shigeru. “Don't let it act on its own. It's not your mother protecting you at that point. It's the demon. You want to put as much distance as possible between yourself and that thing inside of you.”
 
“Easier said than done,” replied Gaara. “If I tried to sleep without a sealing circle, he'd come out in all his glory. I don't feel him at all when I'm mellow and wide awake. Fortunately, I've felt both for a while now.”
 
“That's what worries me. Gaara, you may not always feel that way. The day may come when we have to seal that thing completely. When that happens, there's no way of knowing if you'll be able to use sand anymore.”
 
“If that happened, I'd deal with it and learn how to do something else,” he replied. “Are you trying to worry me?”
 
“I'm sorry,” said Shigeru. “It must seem that way. I have a ton of things on my mind and perhaps I'm letting my own worry get the best of me. It's just that people are expecting so much out of you. And until recently you had so much sorrow. I'm glad to see this change in you. I just want to see it last.”
 
Gaara looked at him and smiled. “It will. Sit down. I'm going to tell you about someone I know who permanently changed my life. You may as well know about this person now. Because someday he will be Hokage of this village and thus become important to us and to the entire ninja world.”
 
End Chapter 9
 
© 2009 Joseph Kerner
 
Disclaimer: Naruto is the creation of Masashi Kishimoto