Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Smiling Mask of ANBU ❯ Ill-Fated Team 7 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- I do not own Naruto. It belongs to Masashi Kishimoto. I am not doing the Konohamaru part. Let's all just say that I did. I have run out of excuses on why this is so late. Sorry. Anyways, important facts regarding this chapter. No, Naruto didn't kiss Sasuke. No, Naruto doesn't like Sakura. Or even pretend to like her.
 
Now, I will do a scene request-meaning that I will write a scene for this story that you suggest- if someone can correctly identify who says the line that Naruto repeats throughout this chapter or if you can identify what show the scene between Kakashi and Naruto is from. The scene I am talking about is during the exam, just before they get the first bell the one that's flashbacked to. I will do two requests if you can get both. Remember, one is from an anime; another is from a sci-fi show. Good luck.
 
Please see my profile for update information. In your reviews please make a note of what side-pairings you'd like to see. As long as they don't mess with the original pairing any will do. The votes end once the wave mission is over, o you have till then.
 
“Talking”
(Thinking)
;Kyuubi:
Kyuubi Talking
 
The Smiling White Mask of Anbu
Chapter 2-The Beginning of the End; Ill-fated Team7
 
Naruto stared at his reflection and slowly shook his head, one hand tugging on the sleeve of his orange jacket. In slight disgust he reached out and grabbed his headband. With a few sharp tugs the headband was wrapped tightly around his forehead.
 
He looked back up and frowned. He couldn't have acted like a prodigy, he just had to pretend to be an idiot. He shook his head and left the clan house. The light of the raising sun reflected of the metal of the headband, his orange jacket open and flapping in the wind.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------
He didn't even realize how early it was until he entered the class room and found it empty. He shook his head, a soft smile on his face as he slid into his seat. He leaned back, propping his feet up on the desk and crossing his arms over his chest. He stayed like that for a few minutes before sighing and shaking his head. “Spying is a crime, you know.”
 
He heard a soft chuckle as the shadows shifted and an Anbu stepped forward. The Neko-masked Anbu hopped up onto the desk and settled next to her Taicho's feet. “I'd say I feel sorry for you, but I don't.” The blonde rolled his eyes. “Thanks Natsuki. I feel a lot better now.” Natsuki laughed lightly and shrugged, tilting her mask to the side to reveal pure white eyes and straight black hair. “That's what I'm here for.” She stared at him for a few minutes before she asked in a quiet tone. “Are you okay, Taicho?”
 
Naruto looked away, a soft, sad smile on his face. “I'm alright. I'm always alright.” Natsuki's eyes softened and she patted the foot closest to her. “We're here for you, Taicho. If you ever need us, we're right here.” Naruto nodded, keeping his eyes averted. “I know. If I need help…” He trailed off. Natsuki got the impression that he wouldn't anyways. “You're never alone, Naruto.”
 
Eyes darker than night looked up at her. Natsuki opened her mouth to say something when the door slid open and Uchiha Sasuke walked in. Naruto smiled widely at the boy, feeling the misplaced air next to him. Natsuki had disappeared long before Sasuke had seen her. Sasuke ignored him.
 
He kept his eyes on the boy as Sasuke took a seat. Once again Naruto found himself cursing the man he'd once freely called his friend. Uchiha Sasuke was cold and closed off from the world, keeping away from anyone who could come to care about him. Naruto knew the reasoning. If someone was close enough to care then they were close enough to hurt. And so Sasuke had put himself in a self-imposed exile, to walk by society but never with them. It broke a part of Naruto's heart; the other part was frozen to the world.
 
Naruto smiled grimly as other students started to file in. Sasuke and he had both been betrayed by the same person in almost the exact same way. But where Sasuke closed himself off from everyone Naruto did the exact opposite, clinging to anyone important to him, and protecting them with everything he had. The only person Naruto never tried getting close to was Sasuke, finding it hurt too much to even try to get close. So Sasuke became something of a rival.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
Naruto stared wide-eyed at the pink-haired girl in front of him from where he lay on the ground. (Oh, I am so going to kill the old man for this.) He thought. This was going to be great. (Are we sure these kids are shinobi?) He sighed and stood up, brushing the dust from his jacket. He sighed and slid into the seat next to Sakura, shaking his head. He let his head fall forward to land on the desk. (God help Team 7 and give me the strength not to kill them.) He stayed like that when the teams were called out and during lunch, ignoring Iruka's chuckles.
 
Iruka walked forward towards his student who really wasn't his student once everyone had left. “Hey Naruto.” Naruto let out a soft groan, keeping his head on the desk. Iruka grinned. “What was that? I can't hear you.” Naruto lifted his head and glared at him. “I said curse you and whatever demented thought process made you put me on this team.” Iruka laughed.
 
Naruto sighed and placed his head in his hands. He sat like that, unmoving as Iruka's laughter slowly trailed off. He felt Iruka's eyes burning a hole in his head and knew he should look up and smile and pretend everything was alright but it wasn't. “Hey, kit. You alright? And don't give me that bull about always being alright.” Naruto sighed. `Today's their anniversary.' There was silence from the link.
 
“Naruto, are you alright?” Iruka asked. The blonde nodded slowly. “I'm alright. I'm always alright.” He whispered. He was getting sick and tried of pretending. But he just had to get through the day.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
Naruto stared at the door, feeling bored and tired. He shifted his gaze away to the blackboard and found himself staring at an eraser. (Prank, ignore. Prank, ignore. Prank, ignore. Prank.) He stood up, walked over, and grabbed the eraser. He ignored his other two teammates as they stared at him. A minute later he had the stupid thing in place and could feel Kakashi's chakra behind the door. He let a snicker when he saw the head of silver hair become incased in chalk dust. That snicker quickly became a laugh when he saw the dull grey eye blinking owlishly at him. “Hm, let's see. A prankster, a fangirl, and a brooder. I think I hate you. Let's meet on the roof.”
 
So when a minute after the man had left and silence still pervaded the classroom and no one had moved, Naruto decided he liked the lazy freaking guy.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
Naruto stared at the man in front of him as he sat on the roof. (This'll be good.) He thought. “Now, why don't you introduce yourselves? Likes, dislikes, hobbies, and dreams for the future. Things like that.” Sakura bit her lip before asking. “Why don't you go first sensei?” Naruto sighed. Couldn't the girl follow a simple order? “Oh, me? My name is Hatake Kakashi. I don't feel like telling you my likes and dislikes. My dreams are none of your business. I have lots of hobbies…” He trailed off. “Okay we'll start with you on the right.”
 
Naruto stared for a minute before deciding he'd throw the man a bone. (The guy was once an Anbu. Let's see how long it takes him to figure out I'm not an idiotic Genin.) “I'm Uzumaki Naruto. I like my precious people, protecting my precious people, training, and working on seals. My dislikes are people who hurt my precious people, people who don't try to change their situation by blaming it on fate, people who think their better then others because of their family, and traitors. My hobbies are hanging out with my precious people, making new seals, and pranks. My dream for the future is to become the Hokage so I can protect this village to the best of my abilities.”
 
Everyone stared at the blonde in surprise. (When did he get so mature?) Sakura and Sasuke thought. Kakashi stared hard at the boy. This was not the attitude the Sandaime had warned him about. (It's odd. Every other Genin would have said something stupid or selfish. But nothing in that statement showed anything of the sort.) A grin slid onto his face. (He'll be interesting to watch.) “Next, pinky.”
 
Naruto grinned when he saw the brief flicker of annoyance in the green eyes before it was covered up. “I am Haruno Sakura. My favorite thing is… uh… let's move on to my dream.” She stopped there, blushing deeply. “I hate Naruto!” The blonde next to her shook his head, sighing lightly. The girl couldn't have made this easier. Just had to make things difficult. Kakashi sweatdropped, “Um, okay. Next, Mr. Brooder.”
 
Sasuke frowned, “My name is Uchiha Sasuke. I don't haves many likes. I have many dislikes. I don't have a dream…but…I do have an ambition. It's to rebuild my clan and to kill a certain man.” Naruto stiffened, his eyes widening. Slowly he relaxed, a sad, grim smile shifting on to his face. (I should have known. The Sandaime was right. He does need to be protected from himself.) He glanced over at the boy, wondering. He knew the darker boy was talking about Itachi and felt glad. There were very few people with the skill to take down Itachi. Only two people had the drive to kill him, Sasuke and himself. And Naruto was unsure of the latter. He didn't think he had the heart.
 
Kakashi stared at his students, taking in how they had responded to that statement. He resisted the urge to snort when he saw Sakura staring at Sasuke with a blush on her face. The girl had yet to learn the value of a human life. He almost felt sorry for her. He glanced at Naruto before doing a double take. The blonde had his head bowed, his hands gripping so tightly together that they were white. He could make out what looked like a dark, grief-filled smile on the tanned face. The sight tore into his heart. No child should feel the amount of pain so evident in Naruto's smile.
 
He sighed before straightening and explaining the final exam. Sakura was outraged and Sasuke was indifferent but seemed a bit annoyed while Naruto…Naruto sat there with a dark smile, no light in his eyes, seeming to stare right past him into the distance. Kakashi wondered if this attitude was normal for the boy.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
Kakashi stared at his Hokage, faintly annoyed by the amusement he could see on the wizened face. He got the distinct impression that Saratobi was laughing at him. “You called, Hokage-sama?” Saratobi nodded, still staring at him. “I wanted to know what you thought of your team.”
 
Kakashi nodded, thinking. “Well, Naruto's got potential; he's nothing like what you'd told me to be careful of. Out of all of them he's the one most likely to pass my test. But I am slightly worried. He seemed lightly out of it today. I'm not to sure about the other two though. Sakura seems more interested in boys than training and Sasuke's too focused on revenge. I don't have much hope for this team.”
 
The Sandaime looked pensive. “Naruto will be better tomorrow. And give the team a chance. They'll surprise you.” Kakashi sighed, it was best not to argue with the Sandaime when he got into these moods.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
Saratobi chuckled as he watched Kakashi leave the room. “I take it that your own test has already started ne, Kaze-kun?”
 
A young figure stepped out of the shadows, face hidden behind a white mask in the shape of a fox. “The clock is ticking. The more time it takes the worse their grade. Which one will call the Fox first? The Crow, the Flower, or the Avenger? Each will have their own clues but apart their useless. It's time Hatake's teamwork game was turned against him.” Saratobi chuckled, “You always loved your riddles, didn't you?” The masked head tilted, and the Sandaime could easily imagine the hidden smirk.
 
Three more masked people appeared, “Hokage-sama, you called for us?” Saratobi nodded and gently picked up a scroll, tossing it towards the first. “Hai. Anbu Team 2, lead by the Kaze Kitsune, I have a mission for you.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
Kakashi really hated the Sandaime right now. He had to have gotten the weirdest team, ever. And when you think about how messed up his old Genin and Chunin team was, that was saying a lot. Sasuke was indifferent to practically everything, responding only with apathy and anger. Sakura seemed like the normal fangirl, the ones who acted mature but really weren't.
 
But Naruto, Naruto was a mystery. He was an enigma wrapped in a puzzle locked in a box where the only key was a riddle…hidden in a god damn maze. Kakashi didn't like riddles, or puzzles. They just meant nothing but trouble. So Naruto was going to cause problems, he could already feel it.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
Naruto grinned at the memory of him and Sakura practically blowing over Kakashi as they screamed at him. He listened with half an ear, thinking back to last night. `Natsuki got a broken ankle but that was it. Looks like this team might be able to survive the curse I hold. Team 7 on the other hand…' He smiled dimly at the thought. `Kit, they're getting ready.” That was the only warning he got before he and his teammates disappeared into the woods.
 
He waited for a moment before taking off and following his darker-haired teammate. “Do you think that will work?” Kyuubi asked. He grinned. `Oh, yes. Just watch the master at work.' He waited and watched. Two minutes later Sakura's scream echoed through the forest. He sweat-dropped. `Idiot.' Kyuubi snickered. “Oh, here he comes.” Naruto grinned, watching as Sasuke was thrown around a bit. `And for a dramatic entrance, we intervene now.'
 
He grinned, jumping down. One kunai was stabbed into the ground as he launched a high kick at his teacher's head. He twisted to calculate the fact that he missed and landed easily next to his downed teammate. He grinned, “Need help?” His efforts were rewarded with a glare. “Not from you.”
 
Naruto shrugged, “Well, if you'd rather deal with him on your own…” He stated, making as if to walk away. “Wait.” He fought the urge to grin. “Yes?” he asked, turning around to look at the other boy. Sasuke narrowed his eyes. “You got a plan?” He walked back over, standing beside the boy. He looked at Kakashi who was staring at them with something akin to approval. “Yeah, but you need to trust me. Stay here for a minute. When the time comes, you'll know when to intervene.” Sasuke frowned but nodded. “Wow, he listened.” Naruto grinned, `In his mind, even if I betray him he'll be able to take the bell back from me.'
 
He grinned and ran forward, aiming a rough punch at his sensei's stomach. Kakashi dodged and attacked back, keeping one eye on Sasuke. `That will be why he will loose.' Naruto thought, allowing himself to slide into defense. Kakashi grinned at him under his mask. “Not going to fight back, Naruto?” the blonde grinned back. “But, But, it looks like it will hut if I loose.” He looked down slightly, his grin turning sly. “And if I were to win…”
 
“You think you can beat me?” Kakashi asked. Naruto smiled, rocking back on his heels slightly before pushing forward, easily sliding past the man's defenses until he was right next to him. “But of course.” He looked past the man to where Sasuke was waiting patiently and nodded. The taller boy grinned slightly. Naruto continued past Kakashi, “I guess.” He finished.
 
Naruto stopped and turned back to the man staring at him with wide eyes. A black blur slid past Kakashi who now had his entire focus on Naruto. Sasuke appeared next to Naruto and held out his hand, a bell dangling from his finger. Kakashi's eyes widened and he felt for the two bells. There was only one. His eyes narrowed, he looked back up at Naruto. The blonde grinned and held up his hand, a kunai hung from his middle finger.
 
Flashback:
 
“You think you can beat me?” Kakashi asked. Naruto smiled, rocking back on his heels slightly before pushing forward, easily sliding past the man's defenses until he was right next to him. “But of course.” He looked past the man to where Sasuke was waiting patiently and nodded. The taller boy grinned slightly. Naruto reached out and cut the string on one of the bells before slipping the kunai back into his sleeve. He grinned and continued past Kakashi, “I guess.” He finished.
 
End Flashback.
 
Naruto turned his head and gazed t the boy next to him. “That won't work again. You distract, I'll set up the trap.” Sasuke nodded and tucked the bell into his pocket before attacking their teacher. Naruto stared at his kunai before throwing it into the ground. He needed three more. He pulled out another, and carefully took aim. The kunai sailed past Kakashi, narrowly missing the string of the final bell. Kakashi pulled back and smiled. “Close Naruto, very close.”
 
Naruto grinned, “It was worth a shot.” He stated and charged forward. He battled beside Sasuke for a minute before he pulled a fourth kunai. He made as if to slash Kakashi and let the man knock the kunai from his hand. He grinned when it landed in just the right place. “Trying to kill me, Naruto?” The blonde grabbed Sasuke and pulled them both back. “You should pay better attention, sensei.” Naruto pulled out one more kunai and channeled charka into it. It glowed faintly blue before he slammed it into the ground. A blue line of charka flew through the hoops of the five kunai, creating a rough circle with Kakashi in the middle.
 
Kakashi frowned and winced, collapsing to one knee. He looked up slowly at Naruto, “What did you do?” Naruto walked calmly forward, passing easily through the blue line. He seemed unaffected by what ever he was doing. “I said it before, didn't I? I'm good with seals.” He reached down and pulled the bell from Kakashi's belt. He walked over to the first kunai he'd dropped and pulled it up. The circle disappeared and Kakashi let out long breath. He straightened and looked over at the blonde. Naruto gently unwrapped a paper from around the handle and handed it to his teacher. A seal was scribbled around it. “A gravity seal?” Kakashi asked, looking up at the blonde.
 
Naruto nodded and smiled. “It's considered one of the harder seals but if you create a small area to cover than its fine. I'm a bit tried though.” He made an act of scrubbing at one eye. Sasuke walked over to them. “Why wasn't Naruto affected?” Kakashi smiled at the boy. “It was Naruto's charka creating the field; it only makes sense that he'd be a part of the field, able to move freely.” Sasuke nodded.
 
A bell rang through the area. Kakashi smiled. “Looks like you won.” Naruto nodded absently looking around. “Where's Sakura?” he asked. There was a rustle in a bush a way's away. The girl stumbled through, blinking up at them. “I guess, I lost huh?” Naruto stared at the girl. “Don't you dare!” Naruto ignored him. “Hey, Sakura.” He grinned at the girl and tossed her his bell. “Eh?”
 
Sakura glanced between him and the bell over and over, confused. “What are you doing, Naruto?” Sasuke asked. He smiled. “There you go Sakura. You win.” Sacra looked up at him. “But, Naruto, without this bell, you can't pass the test.” He laughed and turned his head into the breeze, letting it blow through his hair. “I failed this test before Sakura, I can fail one more time.” Sasuke looked up at his teacher. “Can he do that?”
 
Kakashi was staring at the blonde with something that was defiantly approval. “How about we eat lunch first, hm?” Naruto nodded and started for the area with the lunches. Once they got there, Kakashi rubbed his chin in thought. “Well, Naruto since you gave up your bell, meaning you don't have one, I'll have to give your lunch to Sakura. However since you did well I'll won't tie you up. But you two can not give him your food. Now, please excuse while I go try and figure out what to do with you.” He smiled at them and disappeared with a puff of smoke.
 
They continued to eat in silence for a minute, Naruto lightly humming to himself, before Sasuke handed his food over. “Eh? Your going to get into trouble.” Naruto stated, in a slightly sing-song manner. “Take it. You deserve it. Back when we got the bells you made the plans and did mot of the work.” He looked away. Sakura reached over Naruto and pushed the food away before handing her's to Naruto. “No, Sasuke, keep it. You did something, I just fell asleep. I don't deserve to pass this test.”
 
Sakura looked over at Naruto when he didn't take the food, ready to yell at him when she noticed his look. He was glancing between them wildly, seemingly with no clue what to do. He looked lost. “Naruto, it's okay. Take mine.” Naruto looked over at her and she was surprised to see the confusion and loss dancing in his eyes. Finally he just bowed his head. “No, Sakura. I made my choice when I gave you the bell. I'm not going to go back on. Eat.”
 
Sakura looked over at Sasuke but he too was staring at the blonde in surprise. Naruto was normally a glutton. “Naruto, are you alright?” Sakura asked. Naruto looked up and smiled widely. “I'm alright. I'm always alright.” They sat there, staring at each other when Kakashi appeared. “You all pass.” No one said anything for a minute. Then Naruto uttered a small, “Wha…”
 
The Jonin grinned at him, “You, Naruto, exceeded my expectations. You have a good sense of teamwork and planning skills. You also contain a measure of self-sacrifice and can except the concrescences of your own actions. That is something few people learn to do. You Sasuke know when the credit is due to someone else but do not overlook your own efforts. If you had not been distracting me I would have noticed what Naruto was trying to do. And you Sakura, you convinced me when you tried to give the food to Naruto. Knowing when you did nothing is an important skill because it shows you where you need to work. So, you all pass.”
 
There was a moment of silence before Sakura let out a shout of joy, throwing herself over Naruto to hug Sasuke. “We did it!” Naruto grinned before laying one arm over Sakura and looping the other one around Sasuke. “Quick Kakashi-sensei. Take a picture!” the older man laughed as Sakura flung Naruto off of her proceeded to chase him around. `By far, you all exceeded my expectations. Good job.'
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
The Sandaime smiled at the man sitting behind the mission desk. “Why don't you go home, Iruka? Everyone else has.” The academy teacher smiled. “I'm just finishing up here sir.” Saratobi nodded, “Have you heard? Naruto passed his exam with flying colors.” Iruka grinned. “Yes, I heard. I expected no less.” He looked down briefly. “Yesterday, Naruto seemed a bit off. Do you know what was wrong with him, sir?” Saratobi looked away.
 
“Taicho will be fine, Iruka-sensei.” A voice stated. Iruka turned and stared as a young man appeared from the shadows. Ink lack hair fell into ice blue eyes which glowed upon a young, boyish face. He looked roughly 16. Despite the fact that he was dressed as a Chunin an Anbu mask was atop his head. The Sandaime smiled at the young boy. “Iruka this is Yamoto Takako, he's a member of Naruto's team. Takako-san, I believe you've heard of Umino Iruka.”
 
The boy nodded while Iruka blushed. “You've heard of me?” Takako smirked at him. “Oh yes. I think all of Anbu Corps. has. The man capable of catching Uzumaki Naruto when not even his own teammates can.” Iruka blinked, “Eh?” Takako laughed. “It's true. We can't catch him. Don't worry about Taicho, Iruka-sensei. He had a bad day. But he's alright.” The young Anbu's smile turned grim. “He's always alright.” He whispered. He laughed again. “If you believe him that is.”
 
Iruka frowned at him. “You don't?” Takako looked away. “I used too. Than I realized he said that everyday. Truthfully, I don't think he ever is. Being an Anbu leaves pretty deep scars. But you shouldn't worry. Normally he's pretty good, happy even. But he gets that way every year that day. He'll be fine.” Iruka smiled. “I think I'll go find him.” Takako grinned, “You do that Iruka-sensei. It will make him very happy.”