Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Uses of Adversity ❯ Liars and Cheats ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:

Liars and Cheats
"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not. You have to move on."
~ (Stephen Sondheim)
---
Dear Mr. Hatake,
I write to you on behalf of my deceased guardian, Nagato Uzumaki, regarding the testament he had written and confirmed with the village council prior to his death. As you must know, my caretaker was the proprietor of the Land of Whirlpool, a sizeable island located off the coast of the Land of Fire. With no son to inherit it, it shall henceforth belong your family. The household staff, and I are already making plans to vacate the premises, and the contract requires you to be present on the date that this testament is to take effect (21 days after the death of the deceased). We look forward to meeting with you.
Sincerely,
Naruto Uzumaki
---
Dear Mr. Uzumaki,
I send my condolences for your Uncle's death, and pray for your family's welfare in these difficult times. Unfortunately, I am impelled to remind you that our family is also entitled to your Uncle's remaining wealth, according to the rules set down by the village council regarding any inheritance that binds separate households. I thank you in advance for your steady cooperation.
Regards,
Sakumo Hatake
---
Mr. Hatake,
I regret to inform you that my uncle has recently spent the last of his savings and income on lavish gifts for a number of relatives as well as early preparations for his funeral. Any valuables belonging to my uncle will certainly be forwarded to your family. However, your family is not entitled to any property, with the exception of land, that has belonged to my aunt or myself for over one year. I thank you in advance for your understanding.
Sincerely,
Naruto Uzumaki
---
Nagato Uzumaki had been preparing for his own death for two years.
Two years before, a doctor informed him that he suffered from some fatal illness that was rapidly spreading throughout his body. There was no cure. The doctor gravely told him that he had only one or two years left to live, and to use this time to spend with his loved ones as much as possible. He had calmly accepted his fate and dealt with it at once. Nagato knew that without a son to ensure the well-being of his estate his family would be at the mercy of his selfish brother-in-law, Sakumo, who would likely leave them homeless or sell them into slavery at once.
Thus he devised a plan.
He wrote to all of his close relatives, most of them on his wife Konan's side, and sent them large sums of money; sending only small amounts at a time in case any of the deliveries were intercepted. Nagato was reasonably wealthy and sparing in his use of his money; he purchased only out of necessity, and he put much of his annual income away for saving, so he had much to 'give away as gifts'. A quarter of his savings would be given to the relatives, and the rest was evenly divided between his wife and his nephew. This was enough for each of them to live on their own in relative comfort.
"I've already spoken with the Inuzukas," Nagato had announced, "They invited you to live with their family, for which you should be extremely grateful. I offered them an extra sum of money, but they wouldn't accept it. I'm told their daughter is married and no longer living at home, so they would be more than pleased to receive the both of you."
Chastised, Naruto looked away. He didn't like this conversation at all.
"Remember that I'll always be proud of you Naruto, for as long as you are you." Nagato squeezed Naruto's neck, gently kneading. "Just be true to yourself, as you've always been; whatever you choose, know that I'll still be there."
The warm hand left a vague ache when it dropped from his neck to pat his back affectionately. It made his throat tight.
"Uncle Nagato..."
His uncle's eyes were moist with worry and it made Naruto all the more uncomfortable.
"Yes, Naruto?"
"… thanks." It was distressingly hard to even say the word, but he felt he owed it to the other man, for trying.
Nagato's answering smile was brighter than anything Naruto could imagine and it filled some of the empty spaces within him with a tentative hint of warmth.
"Anytime."
Mr. and Mrs. Inuzuka were the kind parents of Naruto's childhood friend, Kiba, and he couldn't think of two better people to look after his aunt, but Naruto was sixteen, almost seventeen now, and desired something far beyond living a quiet life in the village with nothing to do. As much as he appreciated these comfortable arrangements, his mind was set on something very different.
"Did you know that another missing-nin had been reported seen in Konohagakure?" Konan murmured that morning, "Apparently S-class..."
Naruto brushed the comment off with a snort. Ever since he had made his plans of leaving public, his friends and family had been relentlessly tried to discourage him, but Naruto expected nothing less from anybody, except perhaps Konan, who was surprised by the news but fairly understanding.
"A letter from Konohagakure for you, Naruto." The housemaid announced and handed a thick, official-looking envelope to the blond. Naruto thanked her and opened the letter with interest. When he saw the signature, however, he scowled deeply. Konan looked up and asked who it was from. Naruto read it aloud without any shortage of sarcasm:
Dear Mr. Uzumaki,
I first offer my condolences for your recently deceased relative, a report that unfortunately did not reach us until well after the funeral. He was an honourable man, and I am deeply sorry for your loss.
I also write to discuss another report of a more pleasant nature that has reached me: that you intend to journey and settle down in Konohakagure. I realise that we have never spoken in person and would very much like the chance to meet you when you arrive.
I invite you to stay in my home for at least your first night in the city until you have found a suitable place to live of your own. I also offer my long-distance carriage services to you, for your travelling convenience, if you should wish it. Until then, I wish you the best.
Sincerely,
Kakashi Hatake.
"Why, he sounds like a perfect gentleman," The housemaid said enthusiastically. "Will you accept his offers, Naruto?"
"Not a chance." Naruto replied disdainfully, "Manners and false promises are the least someone of his status could do. Isn't it enough that he's inherited our home? Must he pester us needlessly as well? I want nothing to do with him!"
"His status is hereditary, Naruto," Konan said calmly. "He has little choice in the matter. You may not want to hold that against him."
"And why shouldn't I?" Naruto snapped irritably. "His status is hereditary, so he's been blessed with a fortunate life that he hasn't earned it at all!"
"So have you." Konan said warningly. "Nagato gave you the freedom to do whatever you wish with your life, and very few who exist who can say the same. What have you done to earn this special treatment?"
Naruto fell silent.
"Don't misunderstand me, Naruto," His aunt continued, "I do not defend his father who has long ago proven himself a disgraceful man. I am merely warning you not to be prejudiced against a man who has done nothing wrong yet, and who deserves the benefit of the doubt as much as anyone else."
"Fine," Naruto conceded, annoyed. "But I still won't accept his offers." He added stubbornly. Konan was right, as always, but that didn't mean he had to like it.
---
Dear Mr. Uzumaki,
Enclosed with this letter is a signed document permitting the manager of your estate to sell the inherited property for money, all of which is naturally to be forwarded to myself. Once again, accept my condolences for your loss.
Regards,
Sakumo Hatake.
---
Naruto stepped down from the rickety carriage after what had felt like an eternity and took his very first steps on the smooth brick road of Konohagakure. He inhaled deeply with excitement. The weather was warm, the sun shone pleasantly on the vast sea of brown terracotta roof tiles, and a heavy ocean breeze occasionally passed through the paved streets. Houses were pressed closely together and everyone hung their laundry on their window sills and balcony rails for lack of much yard space. Children were running around in the middle of the street, crying out with laughter at the top of their lungs, and a pleasant smell of pastry wafted from someone's kitchen nearby. Everything seemed so perfect and the blond was more convinced than ever that he had made the right decision to move here.
Naruto pulled his small suitcase out of the carriage, paid driver, and approached one of the squished-looking buildings. Nagato had done some business with the man that lived here and he wrote to him asking for a temporary stay. He agreed to this, and Naruto knew to be extremely grateful for it.
He had paid them upon request, which was more than enough to stay at an inn for three days, but Naruto hoped that these people may be able to offer him some better protection than an inn might. For one, they would not raise their fees because he was a foreign country-boy. Also, he wouldn't have to worry about having his things stolen as long as he was courteous to them, and he might be able to acquire useful tips about living in the city.
Shaky with a mix of apprehension and eagerness, Naruto went up to the front door which was coloured with faded red paint and gently knocked twice.
There was no answer.
Naruto listened carefully but he heard no sounds of the stirring when hasting to the door. It hadn't occurred to him that nobody would be home. Perhaps he had been too quick to assume that they had household staff? He backed up on the short dirt path that was the walkway to the front door and looked up at the closed windows of the house, unsure of what to do.
Then suddenly without warning, Naruto bumped into something.
He whirled around wide-eyed only to see a small scruffy looking boy with an amused, impish look on his face. Embarrassed to have been startled by a child, Naruto cleared his throat in an attempt to reassert his authority and asked him what he wanted.
"Only to return to you something that you dropped." The brunet said, smiling so that his milk-teeth, currently few and far between, gleamed in the sunlight. He handed the blond a small leather money pouch.
Naruto thanked him for his kindness and watched him leave, having an odd feeling about him. And just when he dismissed the feeling, Naruto peered into his pouch and saw that half of the money had disappeared. Angry for being so naive, Naruto realised that he'd been pick pocketed. He made to follow him, but the little brat was nowhere to be seen. He cried out in frustration.
"Is someone there?"
"Ack!" Naruto gapsed in surprise, and turned around to see a short, strict-looking woman with her hair in a frayed bun, standing in the doorway. "Yeah, I'm Naruto Uzumaki."
"Who?" The woman asked loudly, looking annoyed.
Seeing as Naruto never with held his colourful comments, or even reviewed them in his head before they were ushered out his mouth, he had an aggravated reply on his lips in seconds; but in an attempt to be diplomatic he swallowed it and with uncharacteristic restraint, instead replied:
"I wrote to Mr. Mizuki last week about staying here."
"I see." She replied, her expression relaxing but still not entirely friendly, "You're the boy from Whirlpool country."
Naruto felt a little encouraged by this familiar connection.
"Fine, come in then." The woman, who Naruto guessed was a member of the household staff, started to shuffle back into the house before adding, "You don't need help with that bag, do you?" The woman eyed him in a way that clearly warned her not accept the offer. Naruto mischievously toyed with the idea of accepting it anyway, but decided against it.
"Your room is here next to the bathroom," She said gruffly, nodding her head in the direction of a small door across from a narrow staircase. "If you need anything, help yourself quietly and don't bother me or my staff, do you understand?"
Naruto nodded with a smile, which hid the sinking feeling of regret that he felt in his stomach. His room smelled musty and the floor was covered in the sticky residue of something that Naruto didn't care to identify. The bed was dusty, and he saw some small black insect scurry away when he prodded it.
"This isn't so bad..." Naruto whispered to himself, opting to grin widely. The grin slid immediately off of his face as he surveyed the mouldy room once more. He tried again. It was hard to maintain this happy expression, but he would manage it somehow.
Naruto decided to take the initiative to clean his room but he would need to shop for a few things at the market. He wondered if he should announce to the middle-aged woman where he was going, but remembered the woman's warning not to bother her, so he simply went out the door without a word.
The bazaar was crowded with people and Naruto was wary of those that came too close to him. Once or twice, he saw a hand move toward his cloak, and Naruto would swiftly move away from it, but besides the lack of personal space and the number of shameless pickpockets, Nauto liked the general atmosphere of the marketplace. He purchased a large sturdy fishing net, a small blanket, some rope, and two long nails. With these he would fashion for a nice hammock in that dreadful room of his. At the end of the day, he felt satisfied with his purchases and carried them all to the Mizuki's with some difficulty.
Halfway back, Naruto bumped into someone and clumsily dropped all of his things. The someone stooped to help him and piled them all into his fishing net, which he could use as a shopping bag. Naruto was amused by his efficiency and was about to compliment him, until he recognised the thieving brat from early that morning.
"You again!"
The boy's eyes slowly travelled upwards, and, glimpsing Naruto's face, his brown eyes widened, mouth forming a horrified 'o'. Naruto's hand instinctively flew to his money pouch, and realised with a shock that he'd been slyly tugging on it.
"Son of a bitch!"
And the bandit bolted.
Naruto instinctively attempted to pursue him, but bashed his head against an unnoticed plank of scaffolding. Bright green spots hurled in his eyes and as a knot formed in his head and began to throb furiously. Stating a very lively word would make a sailor wince, he trailed quickly after the thief.
Darting left and right, past stall after stall, Naruto chased the elusive brat relentlessly, catching only peeks at the person's appearance - obviously he couldn't handle a confrontation with Naruto's intimidating figure without peeing in his pants. However, after several minutes the blond was forced to conclude that he'd lost him, leaving him to fume heavily with his mounting rage.
---
When Naruto arrived, Mrs. Mizuki was waiting for him at the door with an ugly expression on her face. When he asked her what was the matter and the older woman thrust an opened letter in his face before storming away. Naruto was annoyed that this woman dared opened a letter that was addressed to him, but forgot his annoyance quickly upon reading:
Dear Mr. Uzumaki,
I am sorry to have missed your reply to my previous letter, but am pleased to have been informed by your aunt that you have arrived safely in Konoha this morning at the residence of a Mr. and Mrs. Mizuki. I am still impatient to meet with you and I ask you to do us the honour of visiting us whenever you find it is convenient.
Sincerely,
Kakashi Hatake.
When Naruto finished reading the letter, he felt the sting of insult. This Kakashi Hatake, for whom offering such favours was no trouble at all, still seeked the same gratitude deserved by a saint! Kakashi must have known what conditions Naruto was living in and was rubbing his cool refusal of his services right in the blond's face!
Naruto went red in the face and grew spiteful of the spoiled brat of a man. Suddenly he felt sympathetic towards Mrs. Mizuki. It must be very uncomfortable to have to accommodate for a complete stranger on such short notice, and Naruto was grateful for her rude but honest nature when comparing it to the niceties that hid the selfish and derisive intent of someone like Kakashi Hatake.
Naruto held his letter to the candle and set it on fire at once.
It was around evening when Naruto was finished constructing his hammock. But even after his idea had resulted in success, Naruto still felt restless and agitated by the letter. His mood did not improve when Mrs. Mizuki snapped at him for driving nails into her "precious furniture," and reminded the blond that they were not responsible for feeding him. Naruto then made the mistake of daring to ask why he had to pay so much to stay here in spite of the ill treatment he'd been given by Mrs. Mizuki since the moment he arrived.
In a wave of unnecessary fury, Mrs. Mizuki screamed herself hoarse about how she and her husband put themselves at great risk in taking in an ungrateful wretch like Naruto, who, for all they knew, might rob them blind once they were asleep. Hearing this, Naruto went white with anger; he could not even begin to convey to this woman the injustice that he felt in that moment.
Sat still, sulking beneath the weight of his bewilderment and fury with no one to throw it at Naruto decided to take a stroll outside and calm down before he did something rash.
---
Naruto wasn't lost.
He honestly meant to wander down some streets, without paying much attention to where he was going and cross the bridges of Konohagakure at random until he found himself approaching an unfamiliar shadowy cluster of boulders and trees.
Nope. Most definitely not lost.
Lost or not, Naruto noticed, sitting upon one of the rocks, that he had a magnificent view of the ocean and the multi-coloured sunset. He closed his eyes and took deep breaths of the salty ocean air as if to expel from his body all of ill sentiment. When Naruto lazily opened his eyes after a few moments, he felt the same kind of peace that he did back in Whirlpool country. Seized by some unexplainable impulse, Naruto suddenly burst into a fit of childish laughter. Just as he did that, something moved from behind.
Naruto turned around slowly, curious (and most definitely not afraid) of what he might see.
A young man approached with a surly look on his face. The fellow youth was carelessly dressed in countrymen's clothing but it could not obscure his reticent confidence, nor the striking elegance with which he moved. He looked about Naruto's age, and was likely taller than he; ebony hair that was a touch too long, a whisper too wild perhaps, fell slightly over his eyes and contrasted directly with very, very pale skin—the type of skin one only develops from never going outside or employing too much skin care cream. The most memorable feature about this person, however, was the colour of his eyes - a deep, blood red (or, at least, that's what Naruto thought they were because in the next instance they appeared to be a limitless black).
It took a moment for Naruto to realise that he was staring quite openly, and he turned away quickly, training his gaze on the grass.
A low, sharp timbre settled languidly in the empty air without invitation.
"Is there a reason your eyes are so earnestly searching the soil?"
Naruto blinked in surprise. "What?"
"Might your interest be located there? Or is it my horrendous features that offend you so?" The other elaborated further in a very uninterested voice.
It suddenly occurred to Naruto that the boy was mocking him, that he had probably seen him laughing like an idiot. When Naruto thought about how that might have explained the strange look he was being given, he involuntarily grew self-conscious, embarrassed and highly defensive.
"I don't believe that is any of your business." Naruto snapped, feeling his face scrunch up into a nasty scowl.
One dark, unimpressed ebony brow lifted opposite him, and Naruto instinctively knew that this was as close to a surprised expression as the boy was capable. Truthfully, Naruto wasn't quite sure why he was acting so rude either, though it might have had something to do with the supreme arrogance radiating from brunet, the sound of his aggravatingly self-assured voice.
"An astute observation. Truly worthy of you, dobe."
Naruto couldn't stop his jaw from dropping ungracefully, feeling the blood rush to his face he felt his ego and pride crash horribly to the ground. Dobe? DOBE? Just who the hell did this boy think he was? Naruto may not have been in the top 30 (okay, maybe 50) of his class back home, but he was definitely not dead last.
"Hey, listen here asshole!"
"Asshole?" The bastard turned his black, mocking eyes back to Naruto. "You have a very limited vocabulary, do-be." He said, emphasising his last word and purposely drawing out each syllable in poisoned honeyed tones. The dark-haired asshole shook his head condescendingly at him and that dug deeper than anything. Dug deep and rooted in his head until the indignant Dobe? spews forth and Naruto growls, feeling a rush of anger sweep through his veins.
With all his built-up might Naruto howled at the receding black figure:
"Bastard! Stuck-up arrogant prick! Who the hell do you think you are?"
Still wearing that supercilious smirk, the arrogant bastard simply walked away into the nearest alleyway and vanished from sight without another word.
---
It was getting quite dark by the time Naruto headed back and he had no idea where he was. Looking up and down the street that he was on, nobody was in sight, and everything was much harder to recognise in the dark. Frustrated, Naruto looked around for a building with lights on so that he might ask for directions, and soon found one.
It was an old brick building with the upstairs windows boarded up, and a sign hung from inside the downstairs one that read, 'FOR SALE!' Naruto opened the heavy wooden door, making a small wind chime sound and thus announce his arrival. Inside, the floor was dusty and showed the footprints of the few places visited by people. Cobwebs were all over the window sill as well as the small chandelier that hung by the staircase across from him. Beneath the chandelier was a desk on which two candles were lit, and when a short, elderly man came shuffling in, he sat behind it and greeted the blond.
"How can I help you, young man?" The old man said with a toothy grin that reminded Naruto so much of the pint sized thief, that it immediately put him on guard.
"I'm lost and need some directions," Naruto said, a touch impatient. "Would you tell me how to find the Uzunomichi Bridge? I know how to find my way home from there."
"Certainly," He replied, and drew for her a small map of the streets leading to the bridge. Eyeing the blond intently, he added: "Is that all I can do for you?"
Naruto had every intention of leaving as soon as possible, but he recalled the sign by the window and had another idea. "Actually there is something..." he said slowly, forcing a charming smile. "What exactly is this building for?"
The old man seemed pleased with his interest in the building and answered with enthusiasm. "It used to be a popular tavern," he recollected wistfully, "But I'm afraid it's been neglected for many years and now the landowner wishes to have nothing more to do with it."
"I see," Naruto murmured, appearing thoughtful. "I'm sorry to hear that. Just how much is he selling this land for?"
But this was apparently the wrong thing to say, because the old man's expression suddenly turned sour and he regarded Naruto suspiciously. "Why would a stupid little brat like you want to know? That kind of information is nobody's business except those who wish to buy it!"
"What if I was interested in buying this place?"
"I'll be damned before I see some snotty-nosed, backward country fool own aged and reputable properties like this!" He snapped angrily, making Naruto flinch. "Now get out before I get really angry!"
Naruto took this suggestion eagerly and ran out the door as the crazy old man continued to swear loudly and shake his fist at him. A few people stuck their head out of their windows and screamed back at the man to be quiet.
When the blond finally stopped to catch his breath he pulled at his coarse, flaxen locks in frustration. Everywhere he went, it seemed, he met nothing but contempt and unkindness. Was this yet another sign that he'd made the wrong decision in leaving home? Perhaps this entire attempt of was nothing but a collection of naïve delusions that was finally punctured by reality and left behind a lingering cloud of disappointment in the air.
Naruto sighed deeply and made her way back to the miserable home of the Mizuki's, only to find that he'd been locked out. They probably didn't realise that he'd been out. He walked around the house to where his room was - hoping his window was unlocked for him to crawl through, when he heard two voices coming from within it.
"…was a poor investment if there ever was one!" A rough, male voice said followed by the sounds of ripping fabric.
"Don't go blaming me for your lack of judgement," A female voice that was unmistakably Mrs. Mizuki said; "How was I to know that the stupid country boy had no valuables?"
"You were the one who said that Sakumo was cheated out of his inheritance money by Nagato, woman!" Mr. Mizuki snapped. "What good comes from harbouring a kid crazy enough to live alone in thiscity and refuse the services of a rich acquaintance? You talk as if you know everything, so do answer that for me!"
"He's still in the good graces of Hatake's son," whispered Mrs. Mizuki hastily, trying to reassure her moody husband. "He wrote to him this afternoon. I say we exploit our connection to him… say he vandalised our home or stole some valuables, and demand some compensation!"
Mr. Mizuki fell silent and Naruto didn't dare to show his face through the window to see his expression, although he wanted to. He then grunted something incoherently and the reply to that was also incoherent.
Eventually, to Naruto's immense relief, the sound of their heavy footsteps moved out of the room and the bedroom door was slammed shut. The blond sat still for a few moments in case someone was still in the room. Then, slowly, he raised himself from the crouching position he was in and peered through the window.
All clear.
Naruto knew that he couldn't stay in this house for another instant. He waited for a very long time, ignoring the bugs that bit and irritated his skin, and wouldn't move until every light in the house went out and the only sound made was from Mr. Mizuki's snoring. Naruto carefully pushed the window open, which, luckily, was unlocked and crawled inside. He noiselessly wrapped all of his belongings in the fishnet hammock as the thief did and then took off in a desperate run.
The blond stepped into the first decent-looking inn he could find, roused the man dozing behind the front desk, and paid for a room.
For the rest of the night, Naruto lay awake on his bed, thinking about how little he'd understood when his aunt said that he was fortunate. Naruto felt ashamed at how much he took his sheltered life for granted. He buried his face into the soft, clean pillow and let himself be relieved at how it was such a far cry from the other room.
All night he tossed and turned, so seriously disturbed at how terrible life in Konohakagure could be; that it's outer image as a thriving modern city was as deceiving as Kakashi Hatake's attempt to forge a friendship with him. This was to be his life now; Naruto had desired change and he had been given it, but all he wanted now was to give up and go back home after all that had happened - he was shaky and terrified at the prospect of life alone in Konohakagure.
(. . . be true to yourself . . .)
(. . . as you've always been . . .)
Nagato's steady brown eyes were a hot, heavy reminder at the back of his mind and Naruto felt that old and familiar strength rekindle inside of him, still feeling that, despite the factual evidence, there was hope yet. He needed to deal with these new conflicts and learn how to survive, because Naruto was determined to believe that there was more to life than this cruelty.
You know what, Uncle Nagato? I won't give up, because that would mean giving up on myself and I won't give up on either of us. I can't. I never will.
I promise.
With that in mind, the blond began to compile a list of things to be done. Tomorrow, he would return to that dusty old inn and argue with that old man as much as he needed to.
---
A/N: End of chapter one! It's a little odd setting for a Naruto plot, true, but it'll gravitate towards more Naruto-esque lines later.
Well, I'd love to hear from you guys as to what you think. As to what I think? Well I think this chapter is well, to avoid obscenities let's just say... not so fantastic (I feel like I've committed some sort of cardinal sin making Hatake Senior something of a menance.. haha).
Be honest please! And if you've read it, review it, since I'd do exactly the same to you, and it's only fair.
Right.
Well.
Thanks for reading!