Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Trinity Chronicles: Rewind ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Buds: Love Comedy, Part 1
 
--------------------------
 
“That is the last time I'm gonna piss old man Hokage off…” Naruto declared as he rubbed his back. Laharl had been rubbing his own sore legs, while the relaxed Buds looked at them with a small grin.
 
“You guys deserved it,” he muttered.
 
The Hokage had made those two pay for that absolutely ridiculous clone war two days earlier, which had most of the active jounins and chunins fight some thousand plus Naruto clones into one useless waste of energy of a battle. That night, when the three brothers arrived at from their trip to Kyubi's lair, they were surrounding by a whole lot of jounins with the old man on front.
 
Buds may have been called the Tag-Along, but this was one punishment he would not join in the two brothers. The Hokage had spared no mercy in planning the punishment for them, and he did in all his power to convince the old man that he had no part of it… even going as far as to place himself into Ibiki's interrogation to prove that.
 
Thankfully, the Hokage knew he was telling the truth, and spared him from any penalty… but when asked what were they doing out, the brothers lied. Kyubi's Lair, their adventures, and artifacts they had come to posses, and even the ghost that chased them… even before the brothers set foot on Konoha, they agreed talking about it would raise too many questions.
 
The pink teddy bear that Naruto had brought back was kept in one of the shelves in the apartment, along with the scroll that he found. Laharl's sword, which the squinty-eyed Uzumaki kept studying with his limited free time, was hanging on the wall. No matter what he tried, the sword would never leave its sheath.
 
Not that it mattered. The two Uzumakis were given probably one of the most tiring jobs, and the most disgusting, in fact. The Nara's deer feeding grounds and cages have never been cleaner, nor have the Inuzuka's kennels more pleasant to stay in… but probably the worst the Aburame's Kikai bug hives. Cleaning up the hollow pockets of where the young pupae evolved to adults… was absolutely ghastly.
 
Laharl and Naruto swore to themselves to never woo an Aburame girl and have advised Buds to do the same thing. After all, how do you cope with cleaning gigantic hives while those bugs were crawling all over you?
 
The answer never really came even until now, where presently, the three brothers were in Ichiraku for lunch, cleaning house. Naruto was already taking in his sixth bowl, while Laharl, who was too tired and exhausted to do his usual demand for steak, was on his fourth. Buds, modestly, was on his second.
 
“Orientation Day tomorrow…” Buds declared, earning him the sound of relief from his brothers.
 
“Heh… yeah… finally… going to a team!” Naruto declared happily. “Wonder who I will land with this time…”
 
“Probably Team 7 again…” Laharl muttered.
 
“Wha? Why?” the blonde demanded.
 
“Face it, Naruto, between the three of us… you rarely go to class, barely pass your exams… you're the class' number one `Dead Last',” Buds declared.
 
“Ugh! Only Sasuke-teme gets to call me that!” Naruto muttered, looking hurt. “Besides… Laharl barely gets to classes as he usually goofs out with me!”
 
“Yeah, but I passed the exams… dead last…” Laharl countered.
 
“I'm gonna make shish kebab out of you, Ovvie Brat…” Naruto declared with a narrowed death-glare towards his brother.
 
“Heh, now, now you two,” Buds stated, trying to calm things down.
 
“I wish we could form our own team,” the blonde affirmed with a frown. “Would be so cool if the three Uzumaki Brothers were grouped together, eh? We can call ourselves the Trinity Team.”
 
“I can't deny that it'll be one heck of a way to spend the whole time in this world… but…” Buds looked at his brother. “Don't you want to spend time with Sakura again?”
 
“Uh… well… yeah, sure,” Naruto scratched his head. “But… she's nothing compared to…”
 
The blonde boy turned silent, and began slurping his noodles, leaving the two brothers looking between themselves knowingly.
 
“Sister-complex,” Laharl muttered, dead-panned.
 
“Oh shut up!” Naruto muttered. “It's not like she's my real sist… er… I'll shut up now.”
 
“Yes, please do,” Buds laughed.
 
“Well… what about you!?” the blonde demanded towards his brown haired brother suddenly. “I thought you said you were going to admit your love for Hinata-chan at graduation day. Until now, you haven't even said a word about it!”
 
Buds looked at Naruto, and to Laharl, who now looked interested. He scratched his head.
 
“Well?” the squinty-eyed Uzumaki asked. “How'd it go? Rejected?”
 
“Uh… well… truthfully…” Buds swallowed. “I… I kinda chickened out.”
 
There was a slight moment when Naruto and Laharl looked at their brother incredulously, before proceeding in falling off their chairs.
 
“WHAT!?” Naruto shouted, as he flipped back to his seat. “You were dropping hints for years! And you chickened out!?”
 
“Heh… he's the Luckless Wonder…” Laharl chuckled, and finished his last bowl. “It may actually be better for him…”
 
“Yeah… if I remember correctly, he was the one who would always get caught by the mob of girls when we were developing the Sexy no Jutsu,” Naruto considered their excursions in the bathe houses, and many females chasing them out for peeping at them. Buds was the only one who got caught.
 
“He also was the one who strolled in the female locker rooms the first day in the academy… pretty much branded him as the pervert for the first year,” Laharl smirked.
 
“How about the time he crashed into Kurenai's apartment back when she was still a chunin, hands on her breasts, head on her crotch?” the blonde asked, chuckling. “Hokage had to stop her before she was about to stab him to death!”
 
“Yeah… Buds… take it from us…” Laharl nodded, “its better not to engage a relationship. Knowing your luck… you're gonna get rejected.”
 
“Big time,” Naruto finished.
 
Open palms slammed the counter-table of Ichiraku, and Buds stood up, a brownish aura flaring up around him. His mouth formed a rather cruel smile, his eyes covered by his hair.
 
“Ku ku ku…” he chuckled. “You're both gonna eat those words.”
 
Swiftly, the usually calm brother walked away from the other two, leaving Naruto to look at Laharl confused. The squinty eyed Uzumaki could only just look back, and then both shrugged.
 
“One more bowl! Beef!” the blonde had ordered.
 
--------------------------
 
Back at the Uzumaki's apartment, Buds wondered how he was going to get to it. His mind raced as he thought of many ways to finally woo his long time crush, but with the implications brought out by his two brothers made him wonder if they were right all along… was this worth it?
 
No! Don't listen to those idiots! Buds thought rather deliberately. If there is a will… there is a way!
 
“Eh… even if I think that… I got nil,” Buds whispered to himself. “How am I supposed to confess?”
 
The brown haired Uzumaki found himself in the middle of the clutter of their apartment, and had a great idea.
 
Let me clean up to calm down…
 
Then past that, it was almost supper.
 
Let me think about it after doing dinner…
 
Then following supper...
 
And after I do the dishes…
 
Until it was finally at dead of night, Buds sitting up in his futon, biting the blanket.
 
Muuu… I haven't thought of anything at all!
 
Buds sighed as he slid down from his position; beside him were the peaceful sleeping forms of his brothers. He covered his head with a blanket. It didn't really matter now, did it? Perhaps his brothers were right… who was he kidding?
 
The image of Hinata's fleeting smile appeared on his head… and he sat up again.
 
Was he really okay with this? They were about to get their teams… unless if by some stroke of luck… no, miracle! would the gods suddenly plan to bring him and the Hyuga girl together in one team, he would not be seeing her again in a while.
 
Rather regret doing nothing at all… its better to regret after doing it.
 
He knew what he should do.
 
I should confess my feelings!
 
Out of the futon, Buds left his sleeping brothers to their dreams, and went immediately towards the desk, and switched on the lampshade. He grabbed a piece of paper, and stared at the white emptiness for minutes.
 
Any great writer had only started with a blank piece of paper and a piece of pen… Hinata-dono… watch as I write my feelings in a chain of melody, unwrapped in the ethereal bonds of love!
 
But… what do I write? Hmmm…
 
Buds began spinning the pen around his thumb.
 
Well… I suppose I could start with `suki'… love. Yes… All I have to do… is write suki.
 
--------------------------
 
Dear Hinata…
 
I su… su… love to see you ski…
 
 
--------------------------
 
Buds slammed his head on the paper, before ripping it to shreds. He grabbed another piece of paper, and forced himself to make it right.
 
--------------------------
 
Dear Hinata…
 
I su… su… skip…
 
--------------------------
 
Buds dropped his pen down in shock, and ripped out the paper again.
 
Calm down! Calm down!
 
--------------------------
 
Dear Hinata…
 
I su… su… sukiyaki -
 
--------------------------
 
NO!
 
--------------------------
 
Dear Hinata…
 
I… su… suki ga nai kamae…
 
--------------------------
 
I asked her to show me the stance without weakness…!? I'm… I'm pathetic!!
 
--------------------------
 
Dear Hinata…
 
I su… su… skill-up…
 
--------------------------
 
AUGH!
 
--------------------------
 
The next morning, Naruto woke up from his restful sleep, finding it odd that he wasn't smelling any garlic aroma in the air. Standing up, he noticed the lampshade open, and Buds sitting there, stiff as a board.
 
“Hey… Buds…” Naruto muttered, yawning. He approached his brother from his back, and there, he could see a blank piece of paper, and a pen… on his shaking right hand. “Uh… you okay?”
 
“WHAT AM I GONNA DO!?” Buds suddenly shouted, grabbing the shocked blonde at the collar of his shirt, tears pouring like waterfalls out of his eyes. His voice was so loud that even Laharl had awoken from his slumber.
 
“What the hell!?” Laharl declared, sitting up from the futon.
 
“I didn't write anything at all!!! I can't write anything at all!!!” Buds continued to moan.
 
“C… calm down!” Naruto stated, trying to take out Buds' hands off his shirt before he ripped them apart. “Look… uh… I'll prepare breakfast… you just write… whatever… okay?”
 
“Wh… whatever?” Buds asked, calming down. He then nodded, and went back to the desk.
 
That's right! he thought. I'll just tell her how I feel… and then just tell her to meet me somewhere so I can explain myself better!
 
Seeing his brother cool down and going back to the desk and paper, Naruto wandered around the kitchen, wondering what the heck that was about. Write what? Sheesh… his brother could be so desperate and weird at times.
 
Knowing his cooking skills were not up to par, the only thing he put on the stove was a kettle with water, grabbed a few instant ramen cups from the cupboards, and then grabbed three cartons of milk from the fridge. He knew he would hear Laharl's complaints later, but didn't care. Buds needed a break it seems, and after he had been kind enough to usually cook food for them each and every morning, it was Naruto's turn to give him the rest he needed.
 
Waiting to boil, then the cooking of the instant ramen itself took about six minutes, and by that time, it seems Buds had calmed down, though obviously lacking in sleep; his eyes had bags under them. He stalked towards his place in the table, and without complaint, and slurped on his noodles and drank his milk without much emotion.
 
“Ugh… what is it with this instant shit?” Laharl demanded as he came towards the kitchen.
 
Naruto sighed… it was going to be a long morning.
 
--------------------------
 
The Uzumaki brothers strolled on to school quite earlier than usual, very much oblivious to all the stares given to them. Naruto, for one, because he had gotten used to it by now; Laharl, because he would stare back at them, and they'd flinch away; Buds, finally, because he was more worried of what's to come.
 
When they finally arrived at the academy, the brown haired Uzumaki suddenly looked towards his brother, and announced something.
 
“Um… guys…” he scratched his head. “I… I gotta go somewhere for now. I'll meet you back at the classroom later… alright?”
 
Naruto and Laharl looked at him with a slight surprise, and then just nodded. They were somewhat curious as to what spawned the behavior of their usually calm brother… he was the one that asked the two brothers to leave for the academy earlier than usual, and he was, just this morning, in a state of nervous wreck.
 
As the two left Buds on his own, he immediately went for the lockers. Studying Hinata a lot of times during their tenure as academy students, he always knew what time she came to school, usually, and what she does when she arrives. Therefore, armed with that knowledge, Buds immediately went towards the lockers, and his hand gently went towards his left inner jacket pocket, and extracted a crisp white envelope with Hinata's name written in front.
 
He looked around for a moment and made sure no one was around.
 
Hinata-dono, be prepared to receive the greatest love letter I have ever written, Buds thought with a rather confident smile, and inserted the envelope through the slit of the locker door, and immediately left the vicinity, running up towards his classroom.
 
--------------------------
 
“Beginning today… you are all real ninjas,” Iruka stated with a proud smile as he addressed all of his students. “But remember… you all are just rookie genin. The hard part just started. I want you all to remember that.”
 
Buds looked at his side, and checked over at Hinata's, trying to see if she had received his letter… and from her somewhat embarrassed and surprised look, it seems she did.
 
Of course, she could just have stomach cramps… Buds chuckled jokingly.
 
“Now… we are going to divide you up into three-man teams, and assign you a jounin sensei to complete missions with…” Iruka smirked as some of the students looked surprised. “We… tried to balance each team's strength, so we have decided on these. Team 1…”
 
As Iruka continued down on his list, Buds wondered for a moment what he was going to tell her when they meet later on.
 
How do I start? he thought. Do I open with something sweet?
 
“You have beautiful eyes… makes me want to kiss it.”
 
Ugh… that's something Naruto would say… Buds hit his forehead with an open palm. “How about something… cool?
 
“Yo…”
 
Reminds me too much of Kakashi… how about something… normal?
 
“Hey, Hinata-san… fancy seeing you here…”
 
Of course, I can just act like a total imbecile…
 
“Hinata-chan, my darling!”
 
Buds laughed aloud as that thought entered his head, earning him a look from everyone around the class.
 
“Buds, do you have something to add?” Iruka asked, looking curious.
 
“Maybe he thinks you suck at making teams, sensei,” Laharl interjected. The class laughed.
 
“Of course not, idiot!” Buds declared back, earning another laugh from the class.
 
“Now, now, quiet down,” Iruka said. “Team 7… Haruno Sakura, Uzumaki Naruto…”
 
“Wha…!?” Sakura stood up, about to protest.
 
“… and Uchiha Sasuke.”
 
“YAY!” the pink haired declared, raising her arms as her protest was now drowning in her celebration of just snagging the hottest (in her mind) boy of her year.
 
“Meh…” Naruto muttered, looking at Buds and Laharl, who both shrugged their shoulders. Looks like they were right.
 
“Team 8,” Iruka continued. “Hyuga Hinata, Inuzuka Kiba, and Aburame Shino.
 
“Team 9, Uzumaki Laharl, Uzumaki Ten… uh, Buds, and…” Iruka smirked slightly, knowing full well the last person in the team. “Morino Ami.”
 
Buds and Laharl looked at each other, confused. Who the hell was Morino Ami? She wasn't part of the class, that was obvious.
 
“Team 10,” Iruka continued, “Yamanaka Ino, Nara Shikamaru, and Akimichi Chouji…”
 
“Time out! Time out!” Naruto declared, looking somewhat annoyed. “Why am I in a team with this bum!?” he pointed towards Sasuke. “Why not with my brothers!?”
 
“Naruto…” Iruka sighed. “You and Laharl are among the bottom list… you were dead last. And Buds was just average, really. There is no way you three would have balanced each other.”
 
“Eh… come on! Damn it…” the blonde Uzumaki muttered, before sitting down.
 
“Hn… don't get in the way, dead last,” Sasuke muttered with an arrogant smirk.
 
“Don't worry, chicken butt,” Naruto muttered with a growl, earning ire from almost all the females in the room, but the Uzumaki didn't care, a bit teed off that he wasn't with his brothers.
 
“Now, now…” Iruka called, distracting the class. “This afternoon, we'll introduce the jounin senseis. Until then… take your lunch break.”
 
--------------------------
 
Lunch break… outside the Academy, at the back. Buds had immediately left the classroom when Iruka called the break, and hid among the numerous trees present. This was the area where he asked Hinata to meet him and until now, he had no idea what to tell to her. Then, a sober thought hit him… what if she didn't show up?
 
That will definitely suck…
 
He then remembered then what he wrote, his panic now increasing at a rather alarming rate.
 
Maybe… maybe the letter wasn't good? What would I do then? Or… or… or maybe she won't come because it's not from… Naruto…
 
Above his head, thunder and rain clouds were forming, pouring down on his fallen head.
 
Oh… what the hell… who am I kidding? Buds thought darkly. It's hopeless. I'm hopeless. Maybe those were really right… maybe it's not meant to-
 
“Oh… Hinata-san…” Sakura's voice was heard.
 
Its fate! Its destiny! The gods have spoken! Buds cheered up suddenly, the rain clouds gone replaced by the sun and chirping birds. Looking from his hiding place, Buds could easily see Hyuga Hinata and Haruno Sakura, talking together.
 
In the shy Hyuga's hands… was the letter Buds had written.
 
YES! YES! YES! Buds thought happily, pumping his hand up and down with ever `yes' coming through his head.
 
“What brings you here?” Sakura asked.
 
“Uh… ano…” Hinata blushed. “I'm… I'm waiting for someone…”
 
“For who…?” Sakura paused as she noticed the letter Hinata had been holding. “Oooh… is… is that a love letter?”
 
“Uh… h… hai…”
 
“Let me see!” Sakura exclaimed, immediately grabbing the letter from the shy Hyuga.
 
“Ano… wait!” Hinata protested, but that was ignored as Sakura opened the letter, and looked at who it was first.
 
“Wha… it's anonymous?”
 
WHA-!? Buds' eyes widened. I didn't sign with my name!?
 
The brown haired Uzumaki then began slamming his head towards the tree.
 
IDIOT!
 
SLAM!
 
MORON!
 
SLAM!
 
“Well… no wonder!” Sakura muttered, reading the contents. “If I wrote a poem as stupid as this… I wouldn't sign my name!”
 
Buds' eyes narrowed as she said that. She just didn't diss his poem now did she? He looked at them again, and to his shock, he saw Sakura preparing herself to read the contents aloud.
 
Wha… NO! WAIT!
 
And his protests died when Sakura opened her mouth… and read his poem out loud.
 
“Thank you!” is what I want to say…
First of all, for raising you to be such a cute girl
I want to say “Thank you!”
To the gods and your mother…
 
Sakura couldn't help herself, and snorted and laughed herself silly, holding her stomach in pain caused by the induced laughter.
 
“Hahahaha! Who wrote this!? What was the point of writing a serious love letter that's so hilarious!?” she asked.
 
Behind the trees, the killing intent sent out by Buds was scaring the birds as he heard the pink haired shinobi laugh even louder.
 
I'm going to kill you, Haruno Sakura… I will beat you to bloody pulp, break your bones, cut you to little pieces, and feed you to the SHARKS! Oh yes… your screams will induce euphoria as pull out your limbs one by one… YOU JUST WAIT!
 
“Uh… really?” Hinata suddenly interjected, making Buds pause on his murderous thoughts. He looked back at the Hyuga who was now looking at the letter.
 
“I… I can understand the feelings from this letter…” the shy Hyuga said with a bit of longing. “And… and I'm inspired by it…”
 
She closed her eyes, folding the note.
 
“This warm and heartfelt letter…” she whispered. “I wish I had the… the courage… to do this.”
 
Hinata-dono… Buds felt his tears falling. You're… an angel. And… I'm a damn idiot. Why the hell am I hiding here?
 
The brown-haired Uzumaki gathered his courage, inspired by the girl of his heart, and slid from his hiding place, and approached the two girls, his head held up high. Win or lose… it doesn't matter. What is important is how someone plays the game. The real loser… is the one who never even tries.
 
A coward.
 
He took a step, and another. Each felt easier as he continued, so he continued on… step by step… until he gained speed. This was it. He was finally going to tell her… he was going to tell Hyuga Hinata his heartfelt…
 
Krrrrrr...
 
“Ugh!” Buds clutched his stomach suddenly as it felt like it was spinning around on its own, his legs twisting across each other like snakes. “Wha… what the hell…!?”
 
Bathroom… NOW!
 
Sakura was the first to realize his presence, followed by Hinata. The sight of Buds speeding at towards them took them by surprise.
 
“Wha… Tenshin-san was the one that wrote that-”
 
Sakura never finished her sentence as the speeding boy shoved her away.
 
“OUT OF THE WAY!”
 
Buds raced away from the two, leaving a spectacular cloud of dust in his wake. The two kunoichis looked more confused when he disappeared from their view.
 
“Oh… I guess not…” Sakura sighed, rather disappointed. “Still… why was he in a hurry?”
 
Hinata had no reply. She was more confused than the other kunoichi was.
 
--------------------------
 
In the Uzumaki apartments, the Hokage, Kakashi, and another male jounin looked around the kitchen.
 
“Well… this is where they lived…” the Hokage stated.
 
“Hmmm…” Kakashi looked towards table, one of the milk cartons there opened. He grabbed it, and sniffed it.
 
“What is it, Kakashi-sempai?” the male jounin asked.
 
“This milk has gone bad recently…” Kakashi replied.
 
--------------------------
 
Slamming the bathroom door, the brown-haired Uzumaki rushed towards the stall without a moment lost, took down his pants, and sat down the throne. Instantly, he felt relief.
 
“Damn it… I was so close!” Buds muttered. “What the hell set that off?”
 
“I'm also curious,” replied a voice from the next stall.
 
“Laharl!?” the brown haired Uzumaki asked, surprised.
 
“Ehehehe… you two as well?” another voice came from another stall.
 
“Naruto!?” Buds demanded.
 
“Yeah… I think we all ate something bad…” the blonde's voice stated.
 
“You think!?” Laharl muttered with disgust. “Ugh… something's coming out again…”
 
Buds groaned. He was just about to tell Hinata his feelings… and thanks to his luck…
 
“This stinks…” the brown haired Uzumaki muttered.
 
“Like yours don't!” the squinty-eyed Uzumaki declared.
 
“Ugh…” Buds just groaned as a comedic coda played.
 
To Be Continued…
 
--------------------------
 
Next:
 
While Team 7 wait for the ever late Kakashi, Team 9 is now meeting their third member, and their jounin sensei… but… she's… kinda weird. Very weird.
 
--------------------------
 
Author's Note:
 
What can I say? Luckless. XD Ja ne!