Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So. Freaking. Typical…
 
Naruto sighed, leaning back against the fence. A fence, predictably enough, bordering a hotsprings. It was the woman's section, and about three women were already in there. From the sounds he heard, the giggles and laughter, they had to be young. If Jiraiya's drooling was any hint, they were also probably good looking and having the kind of fun that appeared in his Icha Icha Paradise books.
 
Naruto closed his eyes, resisting the urge to sigh. First ten minute back home, and this is where he decides to stop. Yeah. Thank you, Ero-Sennin.
 
“Seriously, you'd think that…” Naruto paused his internal griping, his ears twitching slightly. Sakura-chan…? He leaned backwards a bit more, shifting his head in the direction of the voice.
 
“… Who does Shizune think she is? Just because I'm now Tsunade-sama's secretary is no reason for her to get so bent out of shape!” Naruto clenched his fist, noting that Sakura's voice (and, presumably, Sakura herself) was approaching the hot spring.
 
“Well, you are no where near as experienced as she is, Forehead Girl,” sniffed Ino's voice, familiar if slightly lower pitched than when he'd last heard it. So they made up enough for this, hm?
 
“Ero-Sennin, I think we should go,” he muttered. Jiraiya shook his shaggy head and chuckled.
 
“No, no… I believe my writer's block is finally coming loose! Yes, let's see…” He leaned closer against the wall, one eye shut tightly, the other wide open, and his mouth in a lecherous grin. Naruto opened his eyes and sent a glare at his mentor.
 
“We need to go.
 
“What? Just because I can do the job better than she can, doesn't mean she can insinuate I'm some sort of suck up!” Sakura was protesting. Ino scoffed.
 
“Yes, but it was really low to point out how her most frequent companion was a pig, while strutting about going out with-“
 
“Hey! That was fair game after what she said!” Sakura snarled back.
 
“Cat fight, heh heh heh,” Jiraiya leered. Naruto swallowed once, hard, closing his eyes again. He took a deep breath, as Jiraiya continued scribbling in his ever-present notebook/sketchpad.
 
“Now then… C'mon, tug on the hair… You can do it! Escalate, escalate! Naruto, maybe you could-?” Jiraiya had taken his eyes from the action to ask his pupil to help him (the Toad Sage doubted Naruto believed the old “It's for training!” line anymore, but still…), but he was no where in sight. Jiraiya managed to contain his surprise at this.
 
Most surprising ninja ever, indeed, the old pervert mused with a more sedate, but still proud smile, before returning to his work.
 
Woah! Definitely Tsunade's pupil, that Sakura! Look at the size of those…! Mm, mm! And Yamazaki… Oooohhh yes, the flower shop girl is getting a full chapter this issue!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
While strutting about going out with… Who? Naruto wondered, running across the rooftops of the city silently. He had to stifle a grin. He hadn't even caused a flock of sleeping birds to wake and take flight as he passed. I'd like to see Kakashi do that…
 
Still, he admitted his new advantages weren't too much of a distraction to, well… Sakura. Who was she going out with?
 
Who cares? Countered a voice in his head. He stopped short.
 
I care! I care about her!
 
Sure, you care about her, but did she ever do anything to deserve that? Naruto mentally opened his mouth.
 
Aside from looking cute, the voice added snidely. Naruto slumped slightly. He shook his head, sighing.
 
Well, screw it. She's not the one I wanted to check in with…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Tsunade grimaced, pushing back a single blonde hair out of her face as she strolled the hallway. The council member's demands had been growing increasingly… Demanding as of late. She smirked a bit at her lack of invention. Gods, I must be tired.
 
She knew it would probably be wiser to turn in for the night, but the sake was always warm in her office. Tsunade opened the double doors, wandering over to her desk. The heater next to the sake bottle was, mercifully, still working, so she poured herself a bowl and leaned back to take a long draught…
 
“Haven't changed a bit, huh obaa-chan?” With a shriek Tsunade threw the sake cup in the direction of the voice. It spun with her deadly strength behind it, whizzing like a shuriken, before it's buzz ceased. Tsunade blinked, panting in shock as she held a hand over her chest.
 
“N-Naruto?!” The blonde woman managed to keep from gaping. The dark clothing, the chiseled jaw, the cool, sardonic smirk that fit better on an Uchiha's face than her Naruto…
 
My Naruto… Is this him?
 
The blond ninja walked towards her, tossing her intact sake cup back to her. Numbly she caught it, as Naruto rubbed his fingers a bit with a wince.
 
Obaa-chan, I'm not sure if I ever told you this, but you have a heck of a wrist.” He looked over his finger, looking almost rug burned, before he reached out and gave Tsunade a hug. Still a bit shocked, Tsunade's emotions rushed onto her soon enough for her to grab Naruto in a bone-crunching hug.
 
“Gah!” Naruto gasped, his lungs emptied.
 
“Damnit, three years you little brat! Three years!” She hugged him harder, shoving her face into his shoulder. He could smell saline, and felt warm inside that she was getting teary-eyed over him.
 
“Why the hell didn't you send me any mail?!” Tsunade snarled, gripping his arms hard enough to make his bones creak. She'd pulled her face from his shoulder and her anger-filled face was incredibly frightening. Naruto managed to keep his expression light and cheerful, if a bit nervous.
 
“Well, um… I did.”
 
“I didn't get any letters! All I got were those godforsaken notes that pervert takes for his books!” Naruto grinned a bit deviously.
 
“Well, that's probably because Ero-Sennin took care of the mail,” Naruto sighed and shook his head. “No wonder his editors are pissed. They've been getting my letters to you.”
 
Tsunade stared at Naruto. Naruto stared back, the corners of his lips twitching, before they both broke down into hysterical laughter, leaning against eachother in their mirth. It just felt so good to hold, and be held again…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
In truth, I had wanted to take a kind of Bond approach to this-But the “Casino Royale” style of Bond, not the campy movie versions. Aside from the “Casino Royale” movie, that is, heh. So, I guess we'll just have to see where the story leads me-and you. Stay tuned. And feel free to share your views of the story so far via review.