Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tawny Town was a fairly large fortified village situated between Suna and Konoha. The community was in a small valley, surrounded by desert and mountains on all sides. Fortunately however, the village was on top of the local aquifer, which nearly reached the surface. With the rainfall from the mountains to the east running down the water table, Tawny Town was both well protected and fertile.
 
Kakashi appreciated the strategic importance of Tawny Town-He'd helped liberate it when a Stone/Cloud force had made a daring raid and captured it. The sand-colored buildings were draped with red, green, and blue banners, women on the balconies tending to small gardens or waving out laundry. Below, the streets were wide as in Konoha, but packed with merchants and peddlers of a decidedly Wind Country bent.
 
Despite the Fire Country flag that had been flying over the city's administrative heart (even when Sand and Sound had attacked three years ago), Tawny Town was only defended by Konoha. Everything else was left up to it's citizens.
 
“Kakashi,” Sakura said quietly, as she and the jounin walked the streets. Both had stowed their forehead protectors and now wore slightly more civilian clothing. However, Kakashi knew that a train shinobi couldn't be fooled. The crowds moving past them would hopefully offer cover as they searched for the three Sound-nin. Sai and Naruto had gone off to cover another part of the city.
 
“Hm?” He responded at last. Sakura frowned, looking about.
 
“Do we have an actual plan for finding these nin, or are we making it up as we go along?” Kakashi raised an eyebrow under the hood of his cloak. His Sharingan eye was disguised with a contact lens matching his other. He couldn't see with it, but at least it wouldn't be draining his chakra or giving him away.
 
“We're sweeping the city first. There are several likely locations for them to hide or head for. Orochimaru would be aware of several of our old safe houses, and potentially he told his subordinates about them.” Kakashi frowned beneath his mask. “However, if they're smart enough to escape the Hidden Sound, they would know that Orochimaru would search these sites first.” Sakura frowned as they passed a loud peddler bragging about his spices. She flushed when he leered at her and mentioned their “aphrodisiacal properties”, but she simply ignored him and resumed Kakashi's pace. Inner Sakura flashed a few images of what she could do with those spices and Naruto, which Outer violently suppressed.
 
“Why would Orochimaru be so desperate to get these nin back though?” Sakura posed. “Their files indicate that they're not experiments of his, nor that they're particularly powerful.” Kakashi nodded.
 
“However, therein lies the problem, Sakura. Those are estimations of their abilities and statuses. We may not know if they are some of Orochimaru's experiments or personal projects. He does not focus entirely on young boys, after all.” Sakura grimaced at this.
 
“More to the point, however, Orochimaru cannot risk these three falling into enemy hands, for three reasons.” Sakura frowned in thought, and nodded.
 
“One, they escaped from Hidden Sound, and therefore know where it is. Two, they may have access to some of Orochimaru's plans and can provide us with additional intelligence on his recent activities, even if only from one angle. And three… They have knowledge of Oto ninja techniques and tactics.” Kakashi nodded.
 
“This would be an intelligence coup for any nation able to capture them, or persuade them to defect, as Sound is easily the most mysterious of all the Shinobi nations.” Sakura frowned once more.
 
“Then why is it classed only as an A-Rank mission? Something this big… Orochimaru isn't going to hold anything back if he can, right?” Kakashi smiled, both eyes closing.
 
“Simple. No missing nin of any notable power or strength have been confirmed as disappearing or joining the Sound in the last two years. The Sound Five were all trained from childhood into the powerhouses we faced, and were the only ninja Orochimaru gave his Curse Seal to aside from Sasuke. Therefore, Orochimaru is down to Sasuke, Kabuto, and perhaps a few higher level nin still in training. He knows Konoha would send shinobi who would be more than a match for any of them to find the missing nin, and obviously he has no desire to lose his new vessel or his doctor.” Kakashi twitched slightly as Sasuke's name left his lips, but pressed on.
 
“So, he's going to be sending either paid mercenaries-Many of whom we or our allies have hired ourselves-or grunt troops. At best, perhaps a few talented lower level ninja. More than likely experts in genjutsu and deception. However, considering your talent with genjutsu, and my Sharingan, plus our exceptional combat abilities…”
 
“There isn't much to worry about,” Sakura finished. “Aside from the unknown quantities.” Kakashi chuckled.
 
“Indeed, Sakura. You're going to find this mission somewhat unique as compared to previous ones. In that the rank is bumped up because of a lack of intelligence, rather than downgraded.” Sakura laughed wryly, as they continued down the streets of the crowded city.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Naruto frowned, leaning back against the dusty stone wall. Down in a courtyard below, a large group of people were gathered, hooting and hollering and cheering in a rough circle around a dirt-covered pit. Money changed hands, a few punches were thrown, and drinks tossed back as the match went on.
 
A desert fox yipped, leaping away from a much larger cobra as it lashed out, fangs glistening in the dry heat. The fox rolled away from another strike, lashing out with red foam flying from it's muzzle. By all appearances the fox should be dead by now-It was only a kit, and the snake clearly full grown. But the little creature didn't give up, and used it's gifts and cunning to outmaneuver it's much larger, stronger opponent.
 
Naruto couldn't help but appreciate the irony with a foxy smirk of his own. Especially in light of the Kyuubi agreeing to his terms earlier in the day. He leaned forward, his goggled eyes narrowing as though focused on the match. The face mask he had gotten from Kakashi hid his whisker marks, but he still kept his blond hair uncovered. It drew attention… Particularly the attention of their current surveillance target.
 
Rei Enkidu. By her records before she became a missing nin from the Cloud she was a compulsive gambler. It makes sense that she could be found doing such a thing even while on the run, Sai said quietly over the radio link. The dark-haired boy was posing as a gambler in the midst of the noisy mob, calmly drinking a bottle of cheap sake.
 
Naruto rolled his eyes. The boy stood out like a sore thumb, standing there stiff as a board. How the hell did he become a Zero anyway?
 
“Well, that and it's a good way to earn some cash while on the run.”
 
He felt eyes on him once more, and noted that their woman was once more looking away from the game. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her. She was short, with a curvy body and modest bust. Combined with her long black hair done up in a tight braid and pale face, she had a passing resemblance to Kin Tsume. If not for her bright green eyes and thinner facial structure, they could have been sisters.
 
Enkidu looked back at the game, joining the other spectators in shouting, encouraging her bet (the fox). Her eyes kept darting to Naruto, which the blond shinobi mentally nodded at. She was probably aware of who he was-Her constant focusing on him pretty much spelled that out.
 
I believe we can follow her after this event is over, and capture her. Over,” Sai further added. Naruto's gaze flitted back to his partner, and he groaned. He was edging nearer and nearer to her!
 
“Sai, stop. No need to spook her. And for God's sake, put your hand down!” Sai pressed his right ear even more, a frown on his face.
 
Repeat that, over?” Enkidu's gaze turned away from her nervous observation of Naruto, to scan the part of the crowd Sai was currently standing in. Naruto, from this angle, was able to clearly spot the shock and sudden recognition on the woman's face when she spotted Sai…

Just before she bolted, leaping over the heads of the crowd and up over the wall. Her flight caused a panic, people knocking eachother about, some into the pit where the fox kit had just managed to dig it's teeth into the neck of the snake.
 
“GOD DAMNIT!” Naruto cursed, before taking off after the missing nin. He ignored Sai's report to Kakashi over the radio, as Enkidu began racing over the rooftops, Naruto maintaining pursuit.
 
Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Why did I have to get the idiot for a partner on my first mission?!
 
Sai leapt to the upper level of the courtyard, avoiding the panicked mob. He nodded to himself as Naruto and the target raced above Tawny Town, before vanishing in a swirl of leaves.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Next time: The chase is on, as Team Seven tries to catch up to their first missing nin! Meanwhile, back in Konoha, certain rumors are growing stronger. R&R!