Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Within the Pale White Light ❯ Truth or heresy ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fic of the Chapter: Sequestration by PaperXflowers. Is a Halo story about the MC and Cortana. Only 3 chapters as of now but I’m hoping for an update. Thus far well written. In fact my absolute favorite thing about this story is that the author actually explains things. Why Cortana does what she does, Why the Halo universe isn’t like Ghost in the Shell (read and you’ll know what I’m talking about). That is something that is rare in the Fanfiction world and is something I highly respect. After all this is Fanfiction, anything can happen to anyone at anytime. but only the great authors go out of their way to explain why, rather than just forcing the reader to play along.

It is by far worth the read.

AN: I’m moving along. J I’ve actually had this chapter done for awhile, as those that answered the question right will know. I’m a mean ass though because I wanted to make everyone else wait a bit before I posted this chapter. Oh and for those that want to know, the Name Aeon comes from FABLE as in the Sword of Aeons. I don’t know if that sword would count, but it is a legendary sword in the game.

Working on chapter nine now…err I’m having a bit of trouble with writers block, but I’m trying to plow through it. Hopefully it won’t take long. Still working on redoing the other chapters to make them line up right.

Also just want wanted to thank Drunkenwerewolf again for being willing to beta me.

00000

The world was hazy, out of focus.

His mind wondered freely, not particularly caring about the dark shapes moving just beyond the fog that surrounded him. If he tried really hard he might have been able to guess what was going on. But there was something…his eyelids felt so heavy. Heavy as if someone had put weights on them. His limps felt sluggish and unnatural, his whole body felt strange like he was floating on nothing.

So this is what it feels like to sleep.

He was sleeping, really sleeping. There was no self control, there was no demon attacking his sanity. His mind was empty, at peace. For the first time in his life he was really sleeping. It felt wonderful, so relaxing so calming. The world inside his mind turned a little brighter as his over stressed brain finally gave a long overdue sigh of relaxation.

How long?

He found himself wondering. His internal clock wasn’t working right. He couldn’t even remember where he had last been. He vaguely remembered talking to his sister. He could see her face in his mind. Her blonde hair spiking out of her head as she smiled at him.

She has the looks of her mother. Poor child.

He frowned as he heard a voice echo through his mind. It wasn’t the demon, but rather a voice he had heard before. He remembered over hearing someone say that. Who had it been? He couldn’t remember…all he saw was a tall man in black shadows. What he did remember was that he had gone straight to Temari’s. It was nighttime but that didn’t stop him. He had to see, to look at her. He wanted to see his mother in her.

It probably had taken at least a few years off her life as she woke up to find him staring at her. He had been crouched down, balancing on the footboard of her bed.

“Gaara!”

She had been so frightened. He had seen it in her eyes. She hadn’t been looking at an 8 year old boy. A curious 8 year old boy that was wondering how to see the mother in the daughter. Maybe he had to rip her apart and look on the inside?

He had and still often wondered about the woman that had given birth to him and then died. He wanted to love her, not matter what his traitor uncle had said to him. His mother didn’t hate him. No mother hated their child. Wasn’t that what everyone said, everyone believed that. His mother was the sand, had become the sand so she could protect him.

But before him there had been Temari. She supposedly looked like their shared mother.

No woman hates her child.

If his mother had died for him, had become the sand. Then it must mean that the sand was meant to protect her other child as well. They were the same…even though they were so very different. Temari had the family’s blonde hair, the blue eyes. She was pretty, smart and respected in her blossoming power.

Gaara had red hair, the color of blood, ice green eyes and the fear and hatred of the village.

He had merely raised an eyebrow at her terrified silence. He hadn’t been able to say the things on his mind then. He had forced himself to forget his wonderings.

For if a mother loved her children, that meant their mother loved Temari as much as him…so shouldn’t the sand protect her as well. He had control over the sand, Temari didn’t so did that mean……that he had to protect Temari. Just as the sand was an extension of their mother, was he supposed to reach out and make the sand go further?

He had forced that thought away as he had left. Back then he cared about no one save himself.

Love only thyself.

Gaara winced as something, some kind of feeling throbbed through his body.

It felt horrible and kind of sharp. He didn’t understand.

Is this pain? I remember pain, Naruto made me feel it.

Naruto had defeated him and the monster. Had made him bleed and fall exhausted to the ground. He hadn’t been terribly hurt though, the worst of the battle had been the chakra exhaustion. The injuries were minor.

This didn’t feel minor.

I don’t want to wake up.

You need to wake up.

Instinctively Gaara lashed out at the sound in his head. All to often had he heard that voice. THAT voice was terror and blood, pain and death. THAT voice was what haunted him and tore at his sanity.

Oh relax fleshling. Remember you die I die. So wake up. Get us out of here.

Wake up wake up wake up wake up.

The voice grew softer as Gaara finally started to wake up.

“Oh good. The humans awake again.”

Gaara’s eyes snapped open. He remembered. In the fog of sleep he had forgotten. But now…

His body hurt. Pain! So much Pain. He’d never felt like this, not when Sasuke hit him, not when Naruto defeated him. His body ached and his blood was dripping out of his body.

Gaara pulled on the bonds holding him up against a wall. Blue glowing orbs of light that somehow were stronger than steel shackled him to said wall. Holding him up, keeping him from making hand seals or even to stand. His feet just barely touched the ground, enough to keep his weight off his wrists but not enough for any kind of freedom. His wrists were raw and bleeding from where he tried to force his hands through. He was in a room. Dark and kind of damp with purple lights and walls covered in blood, not all of it human.

The creature that had spoken walked into Gaara’s line of sight. He didn’t know what it was but he hated the bastard. Gaara’s green eyes narrowed.

His present bloodied condition was all this things fault.

He didn’t know how or why but somehow he had been captured…and all his sand taken away. He then had been hung up and interrogated.

Or rather tortured.

It hurt, a lot. He had never knew pain could have so many different feelings and intensities. Some pain was dull, throbbing low, other was sharp and stabbing.

The creature was looking for answers. Answers Gaara for the most part couldn’t give. Other questions…what was his name, how did he kill the grunts, Gaara merely ignored. He wasn’t going to tell them anything. He might have never felt pain before like this, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t handle it. This was nothing compared to the pain in his heart.

Gaara blinked, trying to get the blood out of his eyes. His left eye didn’t work so very well thanks to the swelling. His nose was probably broken and his lip spilt. He had bruises all over his body as the creature had first tried its fists against his flesh.

His throat felt scratchy and swollen, no doubt due to when the creature had lost its temper at Gaara’s silent stare and had tried to strangle him.

That was probably why he had been asleep. He’d been choked unconscious.

“Look up Human. You see this?”

Gaara didn’t answer, or even shift his stare. He could sense the creatures anger at his actions. However unlike last time it didn’t lose its cool. Merely it smiled, or at least he thought it was a smile, kind of hard to tell with the spit lips it had.

“this is a striker human. Now we’ll start from the beginning. What are you called?”

Gaara didn’t answer. He stared at this called a striker, looked like a glowing whip. It was long about 3 feet, not including the handle. Gaara could see the gleam of metal under the glow, kind of link links in a chain. Gaara wondered at the blueish glow. Why did it glow? Was it just for effects? He swallowed as he prepared himself. This probably was going to hurt.

The monster smiled again, and then with slow movements raised the weapon.

“Last chance.”

It paused a moment, and then without mercy brought the whip down as hard as he could.

Gaara choked back a scream as pain so intense it caused light to flash in his eyes hit him. It burned, intense and unforgiving.

His body was shaking uncontrollably. Just that one hit was…it was horrible. Gaara had often heard of torture, in fact he’d used it a few times himself. Maybe he just didn’t have a tolerance, cause usually from his experience Ninja’s didn’t come this close to breaking so quickly. Or maybe…Gaara thought as he tore his eyes off his own blood to look at the striker. Maybe that weapon had something to do with the pain. It didn’t make sense that the metal hitting him would do this. Maybe…it was the glow? Some sort of nerve stimulator? The injury itself wasn’t to bad. It had cut the skin, burned it a little but it really shouldn’t hurt so badly.

“Answer Human!”

Gaara started to laugh…soft and disturbing. This creature was calling him a human. No one had ever called him human before. Even after he had become the KazeKage, the village still feared him and called him a monster.

The creature took a step back. It was afraid of him. He could sense it. He had slaughtered the little ones, the ones called grunts. They hadn‘t even had a chance to fight back. And if he had his sand…Gaara let that thought trail off. He didn’t have his sand. So he supposed for the first time in his life, he was like a human. Still laughing Gaara looked up.

Without warning it struck Gaara again, and then again. Blood splattered against the walls, floor and monster as the striker cut deeper and deeper into the red-heads flesh.

Gaara gritted his teeth he couldn’t stand it. It hurt so much.

“AHHH! hahahaha”
His screams turned into laughter, his voice rough and raw.

This only made the creature attacker harder.

Irka Iasamee panted as he finally let the striker rest at his side.

“by the prophets.”

He muttered as the human continued to laugh softly even as it fell unconscious again. What was this human made off? Granted there have been humans that refused to tell him anything, even after hours of interrogation, still…those humans had at least screamed at him. They said things, they called him names. They showed emotions, hatred, pain, hopelessness the list went on.

All this green eyed human did was stare. The only emotion he could gleam from it was pain and the occasion stunned surprised look. Strange, almost like the human was surprised by its own pain.

Turning away from the human, Iasamee shook his head. He was getting to old for this shit. It lacked honor, it lacked the warriors edge.

What kind of pride was there in torturing already captured humans.

There is none. There is no honor, no respect. Still…

“It is the will of the prophets.”

Forcing himself not to glance back at the human, Iasamee walked out of the interrogation room. He had gotten nothing of worth out of it. Hell he had gotten nothing period. The higher ups weren’t going to be happy.

“You, Sangheili!!”

Iasamee stiffened and spun toward the deep voice. He wasn’t sure what he expected but it sure as hell wasn’t what he saw.
“Tartarus?”

The large white Brute grinned. He seemed pleased to have caught the elite off guard.

“Do you have anything to report.”

Iasamee paused. Technically the Brute wasn’t his superior. He didn’t have to tell him anything. However…this particular Brute had more sway in the Prophets Counsel than most. Irka narrowed his eyes. He did not like brutes. They were barbaric and honor less.

He could go on for days about why he didn’t like them, and even longer why he didn’t like their chief.

“That…Tartarus, is not for you to know.”

Iasamee took great delight in the suddenly fury in the brutes eyes. Granted he wasn’t a young warrior anymore. He’d seen countless battles and had been injured to the point that he could no longer go into battle. He’d have ended his own life with his sword, however the prophets had asked him not to. Instead they had sent him to the ‘Interrogators’ program. Something new the Prophets had cooked up to learn more about the humans.

What was that human saying he heard during his training.

Ah yes, knowledge is power.

Iasamee wondered briefly if he could goad Tartarus into attacking him. He doubted he could win although the Brute would have a true fight on his hands. That way Iasamee could perhaps die in battle against a hated enemy rather than grow old like he was.

“How Dare you speak to me in such a way! Cripple!!”

The white brute growled out. Iasamee stood his ground. Out of the corner of his eye he could see two more brutes. No doubt they would add their chief.

Iasamee smirked, gripping the striker in his hand tightly. It wouldn’t do damage, as per its design but it would cause intense pain. And that sometimes was just as good as a mortal wound.

“Enough!”

Iasamee’s eyes grew wide as the Arbiter himself came walking up. He held his hand up, looking between the brute and his fellow warrior.

“This is not the time for squabbles and bickering among ourselves.”

Iasamee looked down and away ashamed by his actions. Or rather that he had been caught picking a fight like a rookie.

“Tartarus.”

The Arbiter continued, turning his head toward the brute.

“I believe the Prophets would like to speak to you.”

The brute grinned, his horrid features turning more ugly…if that was possible.

“What’s this? The great Arbiter turned into a mere message boy?”
Iasamee saw red! The words had barely left the brutes mouth when Irka roared in fury as he struck out with his striker.

HOW DARE, this ugly honor less son of a jackal say such a thing to the Arbiter.

Then as suddenly as it happened…it stopped. Irka blinked, the red haze fading as he stared. The Arbiter…he had raised his arm. And without even a thought had stopped the attack using his own arm. Iasamee could smell flesh as it burned.

“Hmmm I remember that smell.”

Tartarus muttered with a sneer. He leaned forward, putting his face right into the Arbiters.

“Good times.”

With that he turned, the two brutes following quickly behind him.

“Arbiter?”

Irka Iasamee shuddered in shock as he tried to get the striker whip untangled from his arm.

“Why did you stop me? He..that…animal..he.”

Iasamee was to stunned to even mutter out a full sentence.

“Its ok.”

The Arbiter said, as together they got the weapon off his flesh. The wound was deep, deeper than normal thanks to the whip actually circling his arm a few times. It smelled too, and probably hurt like hell.

Iasamee should know, he had once miss handled the weapon. It was easy to disrespect a weapon that couldn’t kill. However the first time had been the last time.

“His kind is new to the Covenant. We must…allow, for a time, a little leeway.”

The Arbiter didn’t even seem to mind the wound as he continued.

“They don’t have generations of loyalty and tradition to fall back on. To learn from and honor.”

“AND they never will!”

Iasamee hissed out.

“They are disrespectful. Worse than Humans! AT least humans are smart!”

The Arbiter raised an eye ridge at the elder Warrior. He’d never actually fought one on one with a human. Only fighting from his ship deep in outer space. It didn’t seem like the older warrior was just making the remark to slam the Brutes. Did he really think the humans were than smart?

“Never mind. Give them time. Now…”

The Arbiter placed a hand on the warriors shoulder.

“Have you gotten anything out of the human?”

Irka flushed looking away. Never would he have dreamed he’d have to report failure to the Arbiter. And here he’d been dreading reporting to his superior officer.

“Actually Arbiter, I was just going to report that the human has said nothing.”

“Nothing?”

Shifting uncomfortably Irka continued.

“The human hasn’t said a word.”

“Even when you hit it with the Striker?”

Irka nodded.

“I hit it several times, until it passed out. Pausing each time to allow for speech. It..”

Iasamee paused, not entirely sure he wanted to reveal everything the human had done.

“Well…”

Sighing he realized he’d have to make a full report. To do any less was dishonoring the Arbiters name.

“It laughed.”

The Arbiter paused, and Irka noticed him glancing at his own charred arm. No doubt he was wondering how a creature could laugh in the face of such pain. Granted he didn’t make a big deal of it, but the striker had a accumulative effect. The more times it hit you the worse the pain got.

“Do you really think Humans are smart?”

The question, out of the blue, startled the older elite.

“Well…I..I meant to say…I guess I did say that didn’t I?”
“Hm, yes you did. I’ve never actually fought with a human. I take it you have.”

“Yes, I’ve…slaughtered thousands.”

The Arbiter frowned as he wondered about the pause.

“Are they such easy kills?”

“The civilians yes. They are not trained. They have no weapons. I’ve slaughtered thousands, but have only killed a few hundred.”

The Arbiter remained silent, sensing perhaps the old one needed to sort out what he was talking about.

“Humans, are strange creatures. Humans will run like cowardly grunts, but then the same human will turn and fight if its family is threatened. I’ve seen the old, women, and even children try to defend its family. The soldiers are…”

The old elite sighed.

“Human soldiers are hard to kill one on one. The soldiers I count as personal kills, not just slaughter. Yes, I believe they are smart. They also adapt very well making them more dangerous than they seem.”

“Why haven’t I heard of this?”

“Well sir…Most respected Arbiter, you were a ship master. And this kind of talk is something that is…discouraged.”

“Discouraged by whom?”

The old elite stopped, his mouth snapping shut with an audile snap. He seemed to be regretting the entire conversation.

“I’m sorry most respected Arbiter. This…”

The elder elite bowed low.

“It is nothing. I’m just an old fool.”

Iasamee rubbed his left arm. He’d fought for what felt like forever against the humans. Then almost eight years ago a grenade had almost sent him on his own personal great journey. He’d barely survived. However the injury had left his left arm with limited function. He could barely make a fist, much less fight. The scars from the blast, started at his hand. It went all the way to his shoulder, ending with a few scars on his neck. They were just now starting to fade, as time started to wrinkle his skin. Old Age came late in a Sangheili’s life. A warrior was able to fight in top condition until very late, however when age did hit. It hit fast and hard. It was difficult for him. He’d been in his prime, granted it was late in his prime but it was still prime, when he’d been injured. One human, one lucky toss and it had all come to a screeching halt.

“Age does not define a warrior. An old warrior is merely a successful one.”

Iasamee blinked as the Arbiters words sunk in. he clutched his mutilated limp harder.

“Not so successful. Mangled, crippled, forced from the field…”

The old warriors turned his head. Gesturing toward the ‘interrogation’ room.

“Forced to torture already downed enemies.”

“The work is necessary.”

“IS it? I’ve done this work for eight years. I’ve asked them all the same question. And in the end it was a…Mistake that found the answer.”

“Earth.”

Irka Iasamee nodded.

“The humans have too much to lose. And when everything is on the table, they will bet everything. Even their lives.”

The Arbiter didn’t speak. He merely studied the old one in front of him. He had guts. Talking to him in such a way. Questioning the position given to him by the prophets. It was borderline treason, or worse. Still the Arbiter would give the old one this much…it was a good argument.

“Who discourages talk about the humans?”

Irka flinched as the Arbiter asked the question in a tone that left no room for refusing.

“The Prophet of Truth.”

He finally muttered softly. He could hear the Arbiters sharp intake of breath.

“The Prophet of truth has complete control over the information that comes from combat.”

Irka continued.

“His subordinates, edit, and misplace anything referred to as new intelligence from the field. There have even been some…’transfers’ if a warrior says to much.”

The Arbiter shook his head. He wasn’t sure he was following all of this. It didn’t help any when Irka kept on talking. He had his head low, his voice even lower. But the Arbiter could still hear him just fine.

“Its not…said. But almost everyone knows the unwritten law. Don’t say anything, don’t even hint that the humans are more than what’s been told.”

“But why?”

The Arbiter finally choked out.

“What is the reason fooling others into thinking the human is harmless and stupid?”

Irka Iasamee took a deep breath as he lifted his head up. He didn’t want to die. Well rather he didn’t want to die a death without honor. He knew very well that what he was saying could get him killed, or worse, branded a heretic.

“My guess…politics Sir. This war has been going on for better than twenty years. The Prophets…they don’t want the others in the council to realize how deep we are in it.”

The Arbiter narrowed his eyes at the elder elite. He however held his head high, ready to accept his punishment.

“How deep are we?”

“The humans…they are getting smarter. Look at the Demon.”

Irka flinched slightly he could only guess how the Arbiter felt about that particular human.

“The demon has armor and shields even better than ours…if you’re to believe the rumor.”

“Oh I believe them.”

The Arbiter muttered darkly.

“The humans are catching up. If we don’t finish this soon. I’m…I don’t know if we can win.”

The silence that settled after this declaration felt heavy. Irka could hardly breath. His chest felt tight. His thoughts drifted. He wondered where his sons were. Both were strong warriors and moving fast up the ranks. He wondered about his mate and daughter. What would they do if he was murdered for saying this?

“And why….”

The Arbiter paused to read the markings on the elites armor.

“And why Irka Iasamee should I not punish you for this…borderline if not outright heresy?”

Irka swallowed hard but kept his eyes and head up straight.

“Because it is the truth.”

The Arbiter didn’t say anything for a long time.

“Perhaps…perhaps…?”

The Arbiter muttered to himself.

“Very well Iasamee. Although I would strongly suggest, no I order you not speak of this to anyone else.”

Irka Iasamee blinked. He couldn’t believe it. Not only did the Arbiter believe him, but was allowing him to go free without punishment.

“Of course, Most Honored Arbiter.”

000

Temari was close to losing it. She was exhausted. She was worried about her brothers. She was on edge. It was almost enough to make her go crazy

Especially that little whiny bitch that was following her.

Should have left him.

Kept ringing through her mind. He wouldn’t shut up. Every time they had to turn around, or came to a dead end he would whine about how they should have stayed in their cell. He was surprisingly close to getting his throat slit.

Ok…we’ve been here before.

Temari stopped as they came to an intersection. She could see a small nick in the paint on two of the doorways. It was the only way she could tell where they had been and where they hadn’t. Every hallway looked exactly like the other, even to her well trained eye.

So every time they came to a doorway, she would make a small scrap.

Sighing in frustration of another turn around she slashed the next doorway.

“Where are we?”

The annoying kid whimpered. The longer they wondered around the more of a pain he was becoming. He was getting scared she knew, however she couldn’t find it in her heart to feel for him. She was the one doing all the work to get them out. The least he could do was shut up.

Suddenly Temari heard something, footsteps.

Short kind of shuffling sound. Whatever is coming is short, probably has short legs.

Looking around her Temari realized they had very limited options. However there might be a chance to hide. Turning slightly Temari’s hand shot out and grabbed the kid. Twirling him around, one hand went around his waist, the other to his mouth as she jumped up and away. There was one darkened corner, in the left-hand side of the hallway. If they stayed very still.

“Shh.”

She whispered into Larry’s ear as she let go of his mouth so she could grip the wall using Chakra. The surface was smooth, yet it was surprisingly easy to stick to.

Not two seconds after she whispered, something…shuffled around the corner. Temari’s eyes widened as she looked at the short…things. She didn’t even now what to compare them to. She felt Larry tense up as he also saw the creatures. In her mind she begged him to remain quiet. The things didn’t seem to know they were there.

One of the creatures seemed to be injured. It was covered in what looked like gauze.

The other seemed rather excited the way it was gesturing and speaking in high pitched squeaks and grunts.

Don’t see us. Keep going. Keep walking, don’t see us.

She could feel Larry’s heart and breathing. He was starting to freak out. Tightening her grip on his waist she tried to tell him to relax. She couldn’t let go of the wall to cover his mouth without falling, and she couldn’t let go of his waist without him falling.

The second of the creatures gestured wildly, its arms rising up and swinging.
It was more than Larry could take. He did try to choke it back, she’d give him that, but he still gasped in fright.

Instantly and quicker than Temari would have guessed both of the creatures turned with weapons out.

The one that had startled Larry barked out some words in a language Temari had never heard before. The one that was injured said nothing, in fact she hadn’t heard anything from that one.

Dropping to the ground Temari moved Larry behind her. She would deal with him later. First though she had to take care of the threat.

She didn’t recognize the weapons at all, and the walkway was to narrow to fight. She was out numbered and mostly unharmed. The tiny shiv felt small and harmless in her hand.

The creature chuckled obvious agreeing with her own thoughts about the tiny metal flake.

Temari felt the killing intent as it filled the air. It was about to attack. Crouching low she readied herself to either dodge or attack…she was ready for anything.

Except for what happened.

The one in gauze fired its weapon.

Temari stood there, glued to the floor. She was stunned and confused and could only stare in shook as the first of the creatures fell to the floor. Bright blue blood was splattered everywhere. She watched as it rolled onto its back. Its face was one of extreme pain and shock. Withering in its death woes it managed to locked eyes with the other. She could almost hear the question in its eyes. The one in gauze merely raised its weapon again and finished the job in a shower of green light.

Temari held the shiv ready. She didn’t understand what the hell was going on.

“What the hell?”

Larry muttered behind her. He made no attempt to come out from behind her.

“What is that thing?”

Temari whispered as she stared at the creature.

“Its called a grunt.”

“Do they do that often? Kill each other?”

Larry shook his head.
“I…I don’t know.”

The so called grunt kneeled down beside its murdered comrade and muttered something that suspiciously sounded like a prayer to her. It then picked up its weapon. Completely ignoring her and Larry the creature took out a cloth from some pocket in its outfit. It started to clean the blood from its body.

Finally after it was done cleaning itself, it looked up and gestured. A single digit (she wasn’t about to call it a finger) held up to its face. It made no sound as it gestured again.

“I think it wants us to follow it…quietly.”

“Ah hell no!”

Larry exclaim. Both Temari and the grunt winced at the volume. The grunt looked around the corner, it didn’t look happy.

“You shut the hell up!”

Temari yelled louder than she meant to. Pausing for a brief moment she held up her hands as she tried to calm herself.

“When I helped you escape I told you. You follow my lead. Do what I say.”

“Now wait a min..”

“NO!”

Temari hissed her eyes flashing.

“I will kill you.”

Larry’s eyes widened.

“I will kill you and leave your body here with this grunts.”

“You..you wouldn’t. That would be murder!”

“You think I care. Now shut the fuck up.”

Turning Temari nodded at the grunt. It was looking at her with surprise in its eyes.

Hm I think it understands me.

“Lets go. And don’t try anything funny.”

The grunt nodded. Temari’s eyes narrow. That just confirmed that the grunt thing did in fact understand them.

Glaring at Larry, Temari pushed him forward. She was going to keep him in front of her, just so she could keep an eye on him. The grunt made sure they were following before peeking around the corner. Seeing that it was safe, it waddled forward quickly.

Well at least it seems to know where its going. Better than being lost I suppose. I just hope I’m not making a mistake. But…what choice do I have. This grunt killed its comrade. I don’t sense any killing intent from it either. I honestly don’t think it wants to kill us.

Larry on the other hand was starting to piss her off. She meant what she said about killing him. Her loyalty went first to her village, her brothers and then her own life. She didn’t want to kill him. She wasn’t a monster, but if he got in the way. Not only would she kill him, but she wouldn’t feel an ounce of regret over it.

Quickly and quietly they hurried down the hallways…well as quietly as Larry could be. Surprisingly the grunt was almost as silent as she was. She didn’t understand how it knew where to go. Left, right, another left, the Grunt seemed to know exactly where they were going. A few times it would gesture for them to stop, once they had to hurry and hide in another hall as a small group of grunts walked by.

Finally they came to a door. The grunt looked around, one last time before pushing a few buttons. The door opened with a whoosh.

Temari instantly readied herself for a fight when the room proved to have several…things in it. There were a few grunts, but most were other creatures.

However none of them attacked, although some seemed surprised. Temari couldn’t feel an ounce of killing intent.

Larry opened his mouth, no doubt to scream. She could almost smell the fear coming off him. With a disgusted growl Temari’s arm lashed out. Larry barely had time to fill his lungs for a loud scream when she hit him upside the head. Larry’s scream turned into a rush of air as he went limp.

I’m such a wuss. I should have killed him.

She even managed to catch him before he fell. With little effect she lifted him up and draped him over her shoulder. The silent grunt motioned for her to enter the room which she did. The door whooshed behind her. Still she felt no killing intent.

“Ok.”

She said looking around as the looks she was getting. They ranged from startled to amused.

“Someone here what to tell me the hell is going on?”

Several of the creatures chuckled. Finally one stepped forward. It was one of the larger creatures, it was wearing some kind of armor that was red in color. It spoke…then paused as it noticed Temari’s confused look. Like the grunt it spoke in a language foreign to her.

It turned barked out some words and was rewarded with a tiny circle looking thing.

It then offered said circle to her.

Temari took it. It almost looked like….

The creature gestured that she should bring it up to her ear.

Ah so it is an ear piece. it’s a lot smaller than the ones Suna uses.

Bringing up to her ear Temari was startled when the big one spoke and she could understand.

“Is the translator working human?”

“Er…ya.”

She said surprised. This translator devise worked so well she couldn’t even tell that it was translating. It actually seemed like the creature was speaking her language.

“I am called Eevre Eeroemee. Thank you for silencing the other. It would have been hard to explain a human scream here.”

“No problem, he’s an idiot.”

The creature tilted its head studying her.

“I am…surprised you trusted Ootewa to bring you here. If I may be so bold.”

“I didn’t trust him with anything. However I didn’t feel any intent so I allowed him to lead me.”

“Intent? I’m sorry, I’m not sure if that is translating right. What do you mean by Intent?”

Temari shook her head as she dumped Larry on the ground.

“No way. I want answers first.”

The creature paused at her demanding tone, then bowed its head.

“Very well. I will answer if I can.”

“How did I get here?”

“You were brought up with the other. You were unconscious so the…Covenant, placed you in a cell for later interrogation.”

“Other?”

“Yes the red haired human.”
Temari’s eyes widened.

“GAARA! He’s here! Is he Ok? Where is he? Tell me!”

The creature seemed rather surprised at her outburst. He held up his hands.

“Yes. The other is here aboard this ship. And as for his health I do not know, he has been taken to the interrogation room.”

Temari froze.

“Did you say interrogation room?”

Suddenly murderous Temari grabbed the tall alien under the arm pits where she could get a good grip on his armor and yanked down hard. Taken by surprise, his upper body was forced down until they were almost face to face.

“Are you telling me…that my Brother…MY LITTLE brother! Is being tortured!!”

The instant she moved, the other creatures in the room had reacted. She could see all of them had weapons similar to Ootewa and they were all pointed at her.

“Stand down.”

Eeroemee spoke out. He didn’t try to remove her hands as he met her eyes.

“There was nothing we could do. We are renegades. Our leader was assassinated not even a week ago. Most of our warriors were killed in the battle. We were once spies and recruiters among the false prophets army, now we to are prisoners. We are forced to do as ordered or be revealed.”

Temari glared, but finally let Eeroemee go.

Renegades? Ah well that explains why the grunt killed the other one.

Shaking slightly Temari ran a hand through her hair. What was she going to do? Her littler brother…she never imagined she’d have to worry about him like this. Did these things know how to pierce the sand? Was her brother, the Kazekage actually being hurt?

“What is your name Human?”

The elite asked as it watched the human start to pace back and forth. She almost didn’t seem to hear him, however after a moment she finally spoke.

“Temari. Temari of the Sand.”

Closing her eyes Temari forced herself to calm down. She steeled her nerves. First…information. Information was the key to getting her brother out of here alive. After she learned all she could, THEN she could plan a course of action.

“Alright.”

She turned to face the Elite.

“Alright Eevre Eeroemee.”

She said perfectly. The creature looked pleasantly surprised at her correct pronunciation. It wasn’t easy. The words formed weirdly on her tongue. However languages was something every ninja was taught. One never knew when a foreign diplomatic or whatnot would come calling. And whether normal people believed it or not, remembering names and correctly pronouncing them was a handy tool in gaining respect.

“I think…”

She started.

“That something weird is going on here. I don’t know what’s going on, but I don’t particularly care. I will get my brother out. With or without your help. I’d prefer with since I’m at a disadvantage. I don’t have my fan. I know nothing of this Covenant or your weapons.”

Eevre once again was giving her a strange look. It was weird, for such an inhuman face they had similar expressions.

“Are you saying you’re willing to risk your life to save the red haired human. And if so why should we help you? He almost Killed Ootewa. Slaughtered two other of our men while they were undercover.”

Temari was silent for a long moment. Her face softened as she thought about her brother. Thought about the many faces he had, the depth of his insanity and his fight to regain some sense of humanity.

“Gaara is a monster.”

Temari softly said shuddering as she remembered the old Gaara. He was totally different now, but sometimes…she could still sense the wild uncontrolled monster he had become as a child.

“But he’s also my brother and Kazekage. And as to why? I don’t know how they managed to capture Gaara of the desert. But He will get free, and when he does.”

Temari again shuddered. If they had actually managed to injure Gaara then she didn’t know what he would do. It’d only been a year and a half since Naruto defeated the monster. Gaara still fought with it all the time. It wanted blood and was pissed that Gaara no longer allowed himself to be used in such a way. Still if Gaara was hurt…he might kill them all…even her.

“If he loses it. We all lose.”

She finally muttered just barely loud enough for Eeroemee to hear her. He frowned obviously confused by her words.

“Very well Temari.”

The room suddenly had a tension in it there hadn’t been before.

“We will help.”
Sighing he lowered his head.

“It is probably for the best. Sesa ‘Refumee is dead. And his killer walks these halls. It is no longer safe on this ship.”

Temari nodded as a sudden insight hit her. These ‘renegades’ were hiding amongst enemies. No doubt they would be killed if found out. Helping her would blow their cover, if it hadn’t already been blown. They were risking their lives.

“Thank you.”

The elite nodded then turned.

“Ootewa, get a ship ready. We will need a quick exit once we get the prisoner out. No doubt he’s under guard. We will hit fast and hard.”

Eevre lifted his weapon into the air as his voice became cold and hard like steel.

“The covenant has murdered our kind for far to long. Led us astray as they seek to destroy us all. As of now we are few…but someday. The rest of our brothers will see the false prophets as we do. And the Prophets will fall upon our swords in the name of our fallen fathers and sons.”

The rest of the renegades lifted their weapons in silent tribute. None said anything, however Temari could feel the intent. It wasn’t deadly intent…just…a total and utter will to do what they set out to do.

Temari closed her eyes. She just hoped they weren’t to late.