Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Storm Warning-Part 2 ❯ Chapter 16

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

This story contains scenes of explicit sex, naughty words, and other horrible, offensive things.  If you are underage in you house, village, town, city, community, state, province, country, or continent: READ NO FURTHER!  If that type of thing offends your tender sensibilities, or you are stupid: READ NO FURTHER!  All characters are the copyright of their respective creators and/or owners; no copyright infringement is intended by this story.  Any resemblance to people, places, or situations alive, dead, or otherwise is purely coincidental.
 
Chapter 16
 
Early Afternoon, Four Days Later
 
The crowd thronging the stands surrounding Gash's PokeGym battleground was loud and boisterous, looking forward to the day's match. It wasn't often that the Harem Master himself fought and bets were furiously exchanging hands. Nobody was giving the challenger much of a chance against the experienced Gym Leader, but there was always someone desperate for credits who was willing to take a chance on long odds. Plus, there were numerous side bets out as well: which Pokegirls would be used, first Pokegirl to be knocked out, length of the match, and so on. Since this was a formal, Level One PokeBattle there were many possibilities and the bookies were busy keeping track of things.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen!!” The crowd stilled and began to settle down as the announcer's voice sounded over the excellent loudspeakers. “Thank you for coming to today's PokeBattle at Gash Central PokeGym! We're sure we have an outstanding treat for you today!! This is a Level One battle: 6 Pokegirls to a side, only two of which can fight in the arena at one time and no Ice types allowed!! And now…!” The announcer paused to build anticipation. “The Tamers who will fight before you today!!” A thunderous cheer rose from the audience, but it was cut off like a knife when the MC began speaking again.
 
“First, our challenger!!” As Tank walked into view at one side of the battleground, the audience's reaction rose once again: a pounding collection of cheers, jeers and catcalls that nearly drowned out the announcer as he continued talking. “His name is Tank and he's from McKenzie City right here in the Great White League! With two unique Pokegirls in his Harem I'm sure we can expect great things from this young Tamer!!” The answering cries from the audience sounded doubtful about that, most of them booing and telling Tank he was wasting his time. Tank smiled ironically and raised his arm in acknowledgment of the crowd's jeering criticism while his six Pokegirls glowered at the people yelling at them. Since he couldn't use his Ice Pokegirls, Tank had really had no choices in deciding who he'd fight with. Thus, standing near him were Asuka, Kodachi, Ryoko, Lulu, Washu and his newest Pokegirl Rei. If he could have, he wouldn't have included the Growlie, but…There was no other option for him, unless he wanted to only fight with five Pokegirls against the Harem Master's six.
 
“And now our Champion!!!” As soon as the announcer said those words, the audience's noise trebled as everyone jumped to their feet to cheer the famous Gym Leader. Tank was stunned at the level of sound the crowd was making, the screams and yells like white-hot noise beating against his eardrums, so loud that he could feel the ground trembling beneath him. Even with the mechanical and electronic aid of the loudspeakers, it was completely impossible to hear what the MC was saying. Not that it was really necessary. Everyone in the Great White League knew Kiichi Goto's history. Everyone knew his reputation. Everyone knew his standing in their world. And as the tall, slim, black-haired Tamer climbed into the view, a slight, depreciating smile on his face the noise inside the arena increased yet again until Tank thought he'd never be able to hear normally again.
 
Tank allowed the continuing, rising roar of the crowd to beat on him like the surf at Broad Bosom Bay. Then he did his best to ignore it as far as possible. He and Gym Master Goto stood on opposite ends of a massive arena, which primarily consisted of a seething lake of molten lava. From the two Tamers' position a narrow ledge of rock led to a large stone island that stuck up from the burning death down below. In addition, there were a number of spires of rock and smaller islands, some moving, some stationary, dotting the other areas of the arena. The battleground wasn't quite the deathtrap it appeared to be, though. Sensors would detect if a Pokegirl was in danger of falling into the fiery lava and would immediately collect them like a Pokeball would, saving their lives, but counting them as defeated for the purpose of the fight. For those Tamers lucky enough to have a Pokegirl powerful enough to actually be able to survive the molten rock and use it to their advantage in battle, they could request that the sensors be set so as not to collect her. Tank, of course, had no such Pokegirls, but he knew his opponent did.
 
Looking across the shimmering heat waves that distorted the air over the arena, however, he wasn't able to tell if the Harem Master had chosen one of those Pokegirls for this battle. Unlike Tank, Gym Master Goto had well over a hundred Pokegirls to choose from and he was keeping the six he had chosen for this battle in their Pokeballs until he actually needed them. That was what Tank had expected. After all, why would anyone give their opponent extra time to plan a strategy against you if you didn't have to?
 
While Tank had been looking things over and thinking to himself, the audience's cheers and yells finally began to subside somewhat. The cameras that were simultaneously recording the PokeBattle and beaming it out across the Great White League pulled out from their tight focuses on the two Tamers and got into position for the wild action to come.
 
“Challenger? Are you ready?!!” The announcer's voice rang out, silencing the last few rumbles of the crowd. Tank raised his hand in confirmation.
 
“Champion? Are you ready?!!” Kiichi Goto raised his hand to signify his readiness. Now there wasn't a sound from the crowd. Tank could clearly hear the bubbling of the lava below, the excited pants of his Pokegirls; almost he thought he could hear his own hammering pulse.
 
“THEN LET THE FIGHT…BEGIN!!” As the MC shouted a clanging bell sounded to signify the start of the contest and the crowd surged to its feet once again.
 
“Lulu! Ryoko! Go! Kodachi, get ready!” Even with his Pokegirls standing right next to him, Tank was forced to yell as loud as he could for them to hear him. The large crowd was cheering and screaming even louder than before as the battle they had been waiting for began.
 
It wasn't really necessary for him to say much anyway. They had discussed their strategy numerous times over the past few days, as well as they could without knowing exactly what they would be up against. At least the beginning tactics he felt confident would work no matter who they were fighting against. After that, they'd just have to play it by ear.
 
Lulu and Ryoko reacted immediately to his command; the Sorceress soaring high into the air using a flight spell, while Ryoko also flew, but close to the stone path, just barely skimming it with her energy sword in her hands. Tank smiled as he looked at that sword knowing whoever came up against her and Washu would be in a lot of trouble after the hard training the pair had been doing with Gourry. Kodachi, of course, couldn't enter the arena yet as it was a two-on-two battle, but she got as close to the edge as she could and smirked, putting her hands on her shapely hips and got ready for her Tamer's command.
 
While Tank's two Pokegirls flew into battle, Gym Master Goto released his first two fighters as well. Red light flashed brightly, even in the glowing presence of the lava down below and two forms appeared on the large central island. One of them was quite small and had fiery red hair with darkly tanned skin; a Firetit, maybe exactly the same one Tank had talked with to arrange this battle. The other was larger and quickly launched itself into the air on feathery wings; an Avariel. Tank nodded thoughtfully as he looked the other Pokegirls over. Lulu and Ryoko shouldn't have any trouble with them, he thought. But I can't get overconfident. Goto likes to feel out his opponent with his first Pokegirls.
 
“Lulu! Bravo-3!!” Tank pointed at the Fire Pokegirl on the island who was generating a large fireball in her hands, preparatory to launching it at her opponents. <Ryoko! Take down the flier! Ice her wings!> The young Tamer simultaneously sent a second order to his Space Kit through their mental bond with one another.
 
<No problem!> Ryoko replied, immediately swooping up at her enemy, but lobbing a few energy balls at the Firetit before she did so. The blasts didn't hit the other Pokegirl directly, but the exploded close enough to knock her around and make her fire attack whirl off harmlessly, nowhere near Lulu or Ryoko. The little Pokegirl snarled in anger and began to start her attack again, but soon found herself in trouble from Lulu's magical assault. Floating out of reach, the Sorceress began launching ice attacks at the Fire Pokegirl, quickly piling up damage on her.
 
“Light Arrow!” Tank heard the Harem Master command his Avariel and the flying Elf Pokegirl immediately complied, firing a series of flowing yellow bolts at the magic user that was assaulting her Harem mate. Her mouth was open in fury and her eyes were closely fixed on her target, thus she was completely surprised when Ryoko smashed into her from the side, sending her tumbling away from the force of the impact. The Avariel quickly snapped her wings out in order to recover from the tailspin, but soon found that that was no help as the Space Kit's eyes flashed blue and a heavy, constricting build up of ice and snow began forming on the flier's wings. Only able to manage a faltering glide, the flying Pokegirl was soon trailing down near the lava where the sensors detected her and activated the containment rays, snatching her away from harm's way.
 
As Gym Leader Goto's first Pokegirl was taken out of play, she was quickly followed by his second. The Firetit, already weakened by Lulu's ice magic, was nailed from behind by the returning Space Kit and collapsed to the ground. There she was quickly encased in ice by Lulu, the Sorceress's red eyes burning bright with the lust of battle. That crimson glare was redoubled when the Harem Master recaptured his defeated Fire Pokegirl with her Pokeball. Then Tank and his Pokegirls waited to see what he would produce next for them to battle, Ryoko continuing to float in the air while Lulu descended to the edge of the large central island. Tank could here murmurs from the crowd at his Pokegirls' quick defeat of their opponents. Everyone knew Goto liked to test the waters at first, but usually it wasn't over quite so soon. Also, this was the first time for anyone to officially see Ryoko's new ice powers and those who had been looking over his Pokegirls' abilities, either for betting purposes or just because they were interested in Pokegirls and/or League battles, were quickly reassessing what this new Pokegirl type might be capable of.
 
Gym Leader Goto didn't wait long before he made his decision. Red light flashed and revealed Ryoko and Lulu's new opponents. On the island directly across from the Sorceress was the large, tough form of a Galem while above her hovered a Demoness. Tank raised his eyebrows; I guess we're in the Big Leagues for sure now! Then he yelled the attack he wanted them to try, “Tango-F!”
 
In response to the teenager's commands, his two Pokegirls ganged up on the Demoness, ignoring her rocky companion for now. Lightning crackled in Lulu's hands briefly before it sliced through the air toward the floating Pokegirl, only to be deflected from a shield she had summoned. The Demoness smiled at her success, but then screamed in pain as Ryoko abruptly materialized behind her and began slashing away at her with her energy sword.
 
“Earthquake! Fog of Obscurity!!” The two experienced Pokegirls immediately responded to the Harem Master's command, the Galem creating an intense ground tremor in the fabric of the island that made Lulu stop her lightning attack, too busy trying to keep her balance and not tumble off the edge into the lava that seethed below her. The Demoness was suddenly surrounded by a purple mist that clogged Ryoko's eyes and mouth, making her quickly retreat, coughing and hacking as she rubbed at her eyes in attempt to shake off the cloud's effects. She was also soon busy dodging as the Demoness turned on her tormentor in a fury, launching a series of dark bolts at her. Luckily none of them connected. So far.
 
“Stone Spray!” “Lambda!” Goto and Tank shouted simultaneously. In response, Lulu once again used her magic to levitate into the air, thus securing her balance so she could once again attack the Demoness. The Rock Pokegirl, meanwhile, pointed her arm at the furiously dodging Ryoko and launched a shower of rocks, sand and other debris that slammed into her side, making her wince in pain. That wince became a yell, though, as she was hit by her other opponent's attack which the first Pokegirl's blow had knocked her into. Stunned by the assault, the Space Kit dropped out of the air to fall heavily onto a small spit of rock, her upper body dangling dangerously over its edge.
 
“Shit!” Tank snarled as he saw the Demoness swooping down, ready for the finishing blow on the injured Pokegirl. “Kodachi!! You're on!!”
 
“Of course, Tank-dono!!” Kodachi sucked in a huge breath, making her already prodigious chest seem even larger and then…
 
OH, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO, HO!!!!!!
 
The horrible cry the Killer Queen had been practicing with Naga rang out hauntingly loud and clear. The crazy laughter seemed to penetrate through every corner of the arena, stilling the excited crowd to utter silence for a short time, before they screamed in reaction, some audience members so overcome that they collapsed to the ground unconscious while others ran away, panic-stricken figures jamming into the exits and fighting to get away.
 
The Demoness and Galem were battle-hardened, well-trained, and experienced Pokegirls, so they weren't as affected as normal humans were, but they still couldn't help react to the terrible, hooting cry. Both Pokegirls froze for a moment, ceasing their attacks on Ryoko while they stared around wildly in wide-eyed, open-mouthed surprise, trying to locate the source of the laughter. It was only a moment, but that was long enough for Lulu. The Sorceress had known what to expect as it was something Tank had discussed with his Pokegirls before the battle began. Only two Pokegirls were allowed to fight in the arena at a time, but there was no rule against a Pokegirl outside of the battlefield from backing up her side in some indirect way. Thus, Tank's use of his Killer Queen's amazingly ghastly laughter was perfectly legal.
 
Given an opening, Lulu immediately went into action to exploit it. Wave after wave of lightning and magical energy left her hands, blue sigils glowing on her pale skin as a result of the spells she was casting. The attacks slammed without pause into her flying enemy making her scream in pain and tumble down out of the sky. Unluckily, the falling Pokegirl's momentum carried her directly toward the same spire of rock that Ryoko was just shakily starting to stand up on. The dazed Space Kit couldn't react in time and was knocked off the stone pillar by the now unconscious Demoness and both Pokegirls soon disappeared from sight, captured by the automatic sensors surrounding the pool of lava.
 
Stunned into action by the magical assault on her companion, the Rock Pokegirl swiftly whirled around and began pounding toward Lulu, rocks and gravel flying from her hands to pound into the Sorceress. Reeling under the force of the assault, Lulu lost control of her flying spell and fell to the hard surface of the island. There she managed to conjure a few mystical bolts that hammered into the other Pokegirl that was sprinting closer, making her grunt in pain. The attacks couldn't stop her, though, and she was soon able to tackle the magical Pokegirl, blood flying at the force of her assault. Tank immediately recalled Lulu, knowing she wouldn't be able to stand up to the Galem in a physical fight.
 
With the recall of his second Pokegirl, there was a brief lull in the battle. The crowd was still catching its collective breath from Kodachi's terrifying laughter while Tank and Goto took a moment to mull over their situations and next moves. Tank had four Pokegirls available to choose from, while the Harem Master had three. They looked across at one another and then made their choices at nearly the same time.
 
<Kodachi! Asuka! Go and take out that Galem as quickly as possible!> Tank mentally commanded his two Bonded Pokegirls. As his Succubus swooped into the air on her large, bat-like wings and his Killer Queen uncurled a vicious looking whip, the Harem Master's choice was revealed in a crimson flash. Standing in the center of the island was a fairly human-looking Pokegirl, but a wave of her hands sent a glittering stream toward the Rock Pokegirl, immediately healing all of the damage she had taken in the fight so far.
 
<Kodachi, get a mist up around that magic Pokegirl!> In response to her Tamer's order, Kodachi's whip began twirling, generating a black fog that quickly moved toward her target. The Galem ignored the choking cloud of poisonous vapors as she ran toward the black-haired Killer Queen, just as she was ignored by Kodachi. The Enchantress was unable to ignore the mist, however, as its poisons began affecting her, making it difficult to attack her enemies. Asuka, meanwhile, swooped in behind the charging Galem and struck, draining the other Pokegirl of energy.
 
Seeing that the magic Pokegirl was occupied for the moment, Kodachi snaked her whip around the Rock Pokegirl's legs, bringing her crashing to the ground then she and the Succubus began skillfully alternating their attacks, never letting up for a second until their opponent was nearly unconscious. That's when the world exploded around them.
 
The Enchantress had discovered that the bank of venomous fog around her was too thick to stumble out of, so she had levitated herself above it. After curing herself she then launched a large, crackling ball of fire at Tank's Pokegirls, the explosion stunning them and scattering them almost over the edge of the island. In addition to hurting her targets, however, the magical Pokegirl had also finished off her compatriot, who was recaptured by Gym Leader Goto. While Asuka and Kodachi staggered to their feet, the Harem Master produced his fifth Pokegirl and issued his orders.
 
“Chain Lightning! Battle Rush!” The magic Pokegirl cast a spell that sent electrical energy bouncing between the Succubus and Killer Queen. While they were occupied by that attack the new Pokegirl, a GunValkyrie, pointed her arm toward them, the barrel of some weapon popping into view from her armor. From the grin on her face she was obviously looking forward to inflicting some major damage.
 
<Lambda-U!!> Tank ordered, gritting his teeth as he felt his Pokegirls' pain from the lightning pouring through their Bond.
 
Asuka and Kodachi flung themselves apart, separating far enough that the ball of lightning that had been blasting them couldn't continue to bounce between the two. Asuka allowed her body to fall off the edge of the island, bringing a gasp from the crowd, but her bat-like wings snapped out to catch her before either the beams or lava itself could knock her out of the fight. Instead she began flying among the islands, keeping as out of sight as she could.
 
Kodachi, meanwhile, launched into an attack even as she was completing her roll away. Her inky black hair swept out at the Killer Queen's command and the GunValkyrie discovered that she was not actually outside melee range after all. The armored Pokegirl abruptly found herself toppling to the ground as her feet were tangled up in those tough tresses. Kodachi didn't allow her opponent much time to contemplate her situation as her hair quickly began penetrating the other Pokegirl's armor and started injecting various chemicals designed to render her unbearably and completely submissively horny.
 
The Enchantress stopped her futile attempts to shoot down the swiftly dodging Succubus at her companion's growling roar of defiance as the GunValkyrie tried to fight off Kodachi's poison love attack. Frowning, the floating Pokegirl launched a series of magical bolts that peppered the Killer Queen, but with Tank's mental encouragement, Kodachi merely gritted her teeth and continued her attacks, trying to wear down the will and strength of the powerful Pokegirl wrapped up in her hair.
 
Luckily she didn't have long to wait before help came. Alerted by Tank's mental summons, Asuka launched herself at the distracted Enchantress. The other Pokegirl tried to turn and face her opponent, but it was too late to do any good, the Succubus's draining attack was already in operation and Asuka's strong hands quickly locked her opponent's hands down to her sides where they were unable to help her. As the magical Pokegirl's power drained out of her like the liquor at a college Oktoberfest, the two Pokegirls spiraled down under the control of Asuka's wings to just behind where Kodachi was grimly pressing on in her own fight. Once on the ground, Asuka forced the Enchantress' head into the gritty stone beneath them and with a sneer on her lovely face ripped off the Pokegirl's clothes to the cheers of the audience. Soon both of Goto's Pokegirls seemed to be on the verge of losing this round of the battle due to will-breaking orgasms under the influence of Tank's Succubus and Killer Queen. In fact, Tank was beginning to feel a bit smug about the whole thing, especially as he felt his two Pokegirls' superior, gloating emotions loud and clear through their Bonds with him. Of course, that's when everything went to hell.
 
Somehow or other, the Enchantress managed to snake one of her arms free even as Asuka expertly frigged her, driving her closer and closer to defeat as her body was deprived of power while simultaneously being aroused. Trembling with the effort as her mind was becoming overwhelmed with lust the Pokegirl cast a last spell. Even as she screamed in climax and submission a flickering stream of pearlescent grey motes left her hands and sank into the struggling GunValkyrie. The magic counteracted the effects of Kodachi's chemicals and the powerful Pokegirl found herself clear-headed and in total control of her body once again. She acted at once.
 
Kodachi jerked back in surprise as the weakening Pokegirl beneath her suddenly regained sufficient strength to toss aside the hair binding her and a cord darted out of her armor to punch into the Killer Queen's pale skin. Before she could react, Kodachi felt an incredibly powerful charge of electricity jolt through her. In seconds she collapsed to the ground, small wisps of smoke curling from her unconscious body.
 
<To the air!> Tank commanded Asuka even as he recalled the fallen Killer Queen. “Washu, keep that GunValkyrie off balance. Keep dodging, keep tossing blasts at her.”
 
“No problem, Tank,” His Alpha reassured him as she entered the battleground.
 
Tank frowned as he realized that while Goto had also recalled his defeated Enchantress, he hadn't brought out his final Pokegirl yet. He must have lots of confidence in this GunValkyrie, the teenager thought. And it quickly became apparent why.
 
Asuka and Washu quickly started the fight the way their Tamer had wanted. They stayed in the air, quickly moving and dodging around in order to make them difficult to track. The Brainiac, meanwhile, kept throwing up a series of energy bolts toward their opponent, hoping to force her into a mistake. The armored Pokegirl was a careful fighter, though. After a couple of laser blasts toward her flying foes made it clear the futility of that attack a couple of rocket launchers suddenly popped out of the armor on her forearms. Before either of Tank's Pokegirls could react, both missiles were burning through the air, targeted on Washu. The small, fiery-haired Pokegirl immediately began weaving in and out of the various stone islands dotting the lake of lava in an attempt to avoid getting blown out of the sky. At first Asuka moved to help her Alpha, but soon found herself in enough trouble of her own to deal with.
 
<Asuka! Watch it!!> Tank's warning was too late, however, as the GunValkyrie popped into the air as soon as her missiles were launched. The propulsion seemed to come from her boots and short, sharply swept back wings extending from the back of her armor. They provided enough force to allow her to smash directly into the distracted Succubus. Once wrapped around the voluptuous Succubus, the armored Pokegirl began pummeling her with her metal fists, letting her weight bring them both crashing down onto the unyielding surface of the central island. In a few moments it was over, with Asuka dangling bloody and unconscious from the GunValkyrie's fists. The Pokegirl didn't have much time to gloat, though, as a couple of explosions in her back sent her sprawling to the ground.
 
Whirling over, snarling, the GunValkyrie was met with a couple of energy bolts to the face. Washu had managed to juke the rockets into homing in on their own launcher and was now intent on finishing the job.
 
“Rei! Go help out!” Tank encouraged his Growlie as he sent her into her first PokeBattle even as he wondered about Goto continuing to hold back his final Pokegirl.
 
The Puppy Pokegirl raced nimbly down the thin ledge of rock that led toward the central island and her flamethrower attack soon engulfed her opponent from behind even as Washu continued to blast her from above. The armor-clad Pokegirl spun and her laser shot out, sending Rei scampering away as she nimbly dodged the attacks. Then the GunValkyrie again launched herself into the air to duel with her smaller flying opponent, leaving the Growlie alone on the ground to watch the battle above her.
 
The GunValkyrie had stronger weapons and armor than the Brainiac, but Washu was faster and more agile. These qualities offset one another and left the two Pokegirls well balanced in their battle until the armored Pokegirl made a slight mistake, drifting too close to her enemy in dodging an attack. Washu lashed out immediately, her energy sword ripping a huge gash in the other Pokegirl's armor. Severely damaged, the Pokegirl's armor abruptly cut off its propulsion and she plummeted toward the lava below. Realizing she wouldn't be able to save herself the GunValkyrie suddenly caused dozens of small missile launches to pop out on her armor. Just before the detectors swept her from the battlefield she was enveloped in smoke and scores of rockets began screaming after Washu.
 
“Washu!” Tank yelled at his Alpha and gestured wildly in order to try and get across what he wanted. “Come in low across the island! Rei! As soon as Washu passes, blast your Flamethrower! Try to get as many of the missiles as you can!” The puppy Pokegirl nodded in confirmation and narrowed her eyes as the red-haired Brainiac came shooting closer, trailed by numerous deadly rockets.
 
The flaring explosions that resulted when the missiles hit the path of Rei's flames forced Tank and everyone else viewing the battle to shield their eyes. When he was finally able to blink away the tears and afterimages the severe blasts had caused, he wasn't able to see much as the arena was covered in a thick layer of smoke. Peering anxiously into the haze, however, he was eventually able to make out two forms. In the middle of the island was his newest Pokegirl, the Growlie shaking her head to clear it from the ringing devastation that had taken place right above her. In addition, her thick dark red pelt was charred in a few areas where shrapnel from the explosions had peppered her. For the most part she seemed fine, though.
 
The other form was, of course, Washu. The Braniac was also on the large central stone island and even as Tank watched she slowly crumpled to her knees, and from there to her face. The wisps of smoke curling up from her battered body told the story: evidently enough of the mini-rockets the GunValkyrie had launched as her last strike had made it through or around Rei's barrier of fire and had hit Washu. She was clearly out of the battle and Tank quickly recalled her back to her Pokeball. He was down to his last Pokegirl, Rei, and now he could only wait for Goto to produce his last one as well. He didn't have long to wait.
 
In a crimson flash the Gym Master activated his final Pokeball and called on…a Fireburst. The powerful Pokegirl looked down on Rei and smiled evilly, her gorgeous, glowing wings spreading wide as she floated into the air above her enemy, simultaneously raising her hand to launch her first assault. Before she could do so, however, Tank acted.
 
“Rei! Return!” The crowd gasped in shock as the teenager recalled his Growlie, conceding the match to Goto. The PokeBattle was over.
 
Everyone was silent for a few moments, then the audience leapt to their feet roaring and cheering. The battle had taken much longer than any of them had expected and it was rare indeed for Harem Master Goto to be forced to use his final Pokegirl. Thus, this had been one of the most memorable PokeBattles in recent years despite the fact that the challenger had lost. The crowd shouted its approval for both Tamers as they walked down to the central island to exchange handshakes; honoring the victorious Gym Leader, but also his young opponent. The noise was so deafening that anything the announcer was saying at the moment was completely swamped.
 
“You fought well,” Kiichi Goto shouted in order to make himself heard as he and Tank shook hands.
 
“Thanks. I really learned a lot,” Tank replied honestly.
 
“Could you bring out your last Pokegirl, Tank?” The Gym Leader asked in a more normal tone of voice as the audience slowly began to quiet down.
 
“Sure,” Tank summoned Rei who looked around her in surprise, not sure what exactly was going on. It was a feeling her Tamer shared.
 
“I asked Tank to release you,” Goto explained to the Growlie, but also to Tank too. By this time the crowd realized that something beyond the normal after battle formalities were happening and had quieted enough so that the recording equipment could pick up the two Tamers' conversation and broadcast it over the speaker system. “I wanted your Tamer to explain to you why he didn't let you fight Keiko here.” He indicated the grinning Fireburst beside him. Everyone's attention turned expectantly toward Tank.
 
Tank stammered a bit under the unexpected attention, especially that of the large, murmuring crowd in the stands around the arena. “Uh, well…To be honest, there didn't seem to be any point to going on. Rei was already injured and a bit tired from fighting. She was by herself and couldn't expect any other help. Her strongest offensive weapons were fire attacks that couldn't hurt a Fireburst and her other physical attacks would be difficult if not impossible to use given her opponent's ability to fly and her nimbleness.” The teenager shrugged as he tried to explain his thoughts, rubbing his scalp nervously. “Given all that, why would I keep Rei in and let her get beat up? She had fought well, all my Pokegirls did, but…Well, it was over, you know? We just need to train more and come up with better tactics, but there wasn't any need for Rei to get smacked around because I wasn't smart enough to put her in a position she could win. I don't know…I guess that's what I was thinking.”
 
Kiichi Goto had listened to the young Tamer's explanation seriously, occasionally nodding his head in understanding. When Tank finished he smiled and reached forward to shake hands once again. When the handshake was finished Tank realized there was something in his hand, passed to him by the Harem Master. Looking down the teenager saw a golden medal in the shape of a volcano with three red-enameled flames on it; one at the base, one in the middle and one on the top of the volcano. It was the Level One Gym Badge for Gash Central PokeGym!
 
Tank looked at Goto in shock as the audience again gasped in surprise, the small medal picked up by the surrounding cameras and beamed up onto video screens dotting the sides of the arena. “But…But I lost!”
 
The Harem Master shrugged, his mouth quirking in a slight, sardonic smile. “Despite what some might say, Tank, winning isn't everything. And it isn't the only thing either. I can give out a Gym Badge to anyone I think is qualified for it and I think you are. If the League doesn't like it, they're more then welcome to remove me from my position. Otherwise they'll just have to put up with how I do things. Congratulations.” Once again the older man shook hands with the teenager and the arena shook in reaction to the cheering, stamping crowd.