Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Onneechan ❯ Girls Night Out ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

For the record, Ranma and company are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. Evangelion is the property of Gainex (and not Ms Saotome) And so without further ado, Montanto Productions presents.

Oneechan

A Ranma/Evangelion Xover

(Sort of)

Chapter Two

Girls Night Out

One of Misato's most vivid childhood memories was watching her mother practice katana. She looked so poised and beautiful, as she stood in the backyard in her white obi holding the sword before her. The light of the morning sun flashed against the steel blade. Lost in concentration Nodoka stared at the straw post she was using for practice. At the right moment she rose the sword and swung. A loud "thunk" could be heard behind her.

Nodoka looked at her empty hands and the unharmed target confused. She realized what had happened and spun around to see her young daughter standing next to the katana imbedded in a wooden post. Misato glanced at the meter long steel blade, which had missed her by mere centimeters. Her face was ashen gray.

"Mommy? I think I wet myself."

* * * * * * *

"I don't want to talk about it," Ritsuko gritted her teeth, concentrating on her compact, and washed some dirt off her face with a tissue. She had refused to so much as look at Misato since the Saotomes had found her waiting impatiently under a street sign in Chiba.

She was dressed in a white Hello Kitty polo shirt; denim cut offs, an L.L Bean backpack and leather-hiking boots. A yellow and black bandanna around her neck completed the look. Ritsuko favored hiking gear as her usual look. It gave her the excuse of saying she was "off on a little stroll" whenever her "incidents" occurred. This worked for most situations. Though, as certain Ainu folktales about the blonde wanderer showed, it was hardly enough.

Misato shrugged. Ritsuko's favorite method of dealing with her "incidents" was to deny they ever happened. This usually provided Misato with a great source of amusement but with her mother walking just ahead she wasn't in the mood.

"Would you stop doing that?" Ritsuko asked as Misato yanked her arm to keep her from turning at a corner.

"Girls, there's no need to fight," Nodoka said cheerfully.

"Sorry Mother," Misato said quickly. "Honestly, it's like I stopped growing when I turned ten, " she whispered to Ritsuko.

"Oh, Poor baby." Ritsuko ran to catch up to Nodoka. "Are we nearly there, Mrs. Saotome?" she asked.

"Just a few minutes, Ritsuko-chan," Nodoka smiled.

"Brown nose," Misato muttered as Ritsuko returned to her side. Ritsuko grinned.

"Say, I've been wondering. What's the deal with the katana, anyway?" Ritsuko pointed at the silken bundle in Nodoka's arms.

"Ixnay on the ordsway," Misato hissed. She had far too many memories regarding that damn sword. Of course it did make parent-teacher meetings interesting to say the least.

* * * * * * *

The Tendou household was a medium sized estate surrounded by a large wall, which dwarfed everything else in the neighborhood.

"Gee, this guy must be loaded," Ritsuko whistled as they passed through the large wooden gate. She didn't think houses like this still existed, at least not in this part of Tokyo. Here was a place you could forget about the madness of the outside world just by sitting in the garden, with a koi pond no less. The only thing that really spoiled the effect were a pile of broken cinderblocks and a rather sad looking straw dummy with a black pigtail made of yarn nailed to it. Misato's mother had said her friend ran a martial arts dojo.

"I thought I told you to stop that," she growled, as Misato yanked her arm again.

"Look, it's a big garden. Even with the gate shut you could be going around in circles for hours," Misato explained, ignoring Ritsuko's glare.

"Girls, could you please behave while we're here?" Nodoka begged, knocking on the door.

A young woman in her late teens came to greet them. She had a natural beauty that shone even through her hausfrau getup. She wore her long brown hair in a ponytail. She smiled warmly.

"Why, Auntie Saotome, what a pleasant surprise. How are you today?" she bowed politely.

"Hello, Kasumi-chan. It's wonderful to see you again." Nodoka returned the bow, "Is Ranma here today?"

Kasumi turned to listen to what sounded like a loud argument coming from inside the house. It ended with the sound of splashing water. "I'm sorry Auntie, but Ranma and Uncle Saotome left on a short training trip just this morning," she frowned shaking her head

"Pretty good timing, " Ritsuko whispered to Misato.

"Be quiet," Misato whispered, jabbing her friend in the ribs.

Her mother ignored them and hung her head sadly. "That's a shame, Kasumi-chan. May we come in? It's always nice to talk to friends."

"Of course, Auntie, you're always welcome here," Kasumi smiled.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Misato studied their host, Soun Tendou. He was a tall man with stern features. He was very handsome for his age. He was obviously a free thinker who didn't give a damn about traditional mores as his shoulder length hair showed. It looked fantastic on him. It was so rare for a man of that generation to wear his hair long. A simple black gi covered what was obviously a fantastic physique.

A quick nudge from Ritsuko brought her out of her train of thought. She gave a quick glance at the room's other occupants. There was Kasumi, of course, and her sisters, Nabiki and Akane. Misato recognized Akane from her student teaching. Akane looked a little tenser at home then she did at school. She was feeding table scraps to a small black piglet sitting on her lap. Another girl with red hair, tied in a pigtail, sat next to Akane, fidgeting constantly. Misato returned her attention to Tendou-san.

There was a look of intensity in his eyes. In one of her more romantic phases in high school Misato was convinced that the eyes were a window to the soul. If this was the case she could tell that Soun Tendou was a controlled and stable man who probably wasn't willing to take any crap from anyone.

"I'm delighted to see you again, Saotome-san," Soun said folding his arms. "I'm sorry that you missed Ranma and Genma yet again."

Wow, a baritone too. I wonder if he's single, Misato wondered.

"Thank you, Tendou-san, Nodoka said politely. "I'd like to introduce my daughter, Misato . . . "

"It's an honor to meet you, Tendou-san," Misato interrupted, bowing formally.

"And her friend, Ritsuko Hibiki." Nodoka continued giving her daughter a stern glance. Ritsuko responded with a quick nod.

"Hibiki?" Akane asked. "You wouldn't know a Ryouga by any chance?"

"Who?" Ritsuko looked puzzled.

"Oh, he's a friend of mine, he wears a bandanna like that," Akane pointed at Ritsuko's bandanna and, ah . . . "

"Gets lost easily?" Misato asked with a grin as she narrowly avoided Ritsuko's elbow.

"Couldn't cross the street by himself if his life depended on it," the pigtailed girl broke in. She winced as Akane's pet jumped at her and began biting her finger.

"Ranko, it's very rude to say such things," Nodoka said firmly.

"Oh, sorry Auntie. I guess I wasn't thinking," Ranko giggled, putting the hand that didn't have a pig attached to it behind her head.

"Say no more," Misato put her finger to her nose and winked. "Look, Rits, you hardly ever see your family, right? Considering your parents' 'condition' you might have dozens of brothers and sisters you've never met."

Ritsuko slowly turned to Misato and gave what Misato had come to know as the "Hibiki stare". Over the years Misato had built up a resistance to this cold, piercing and unstoppable technique but today she was sure that she was getting a double dose. She looked around for the other source. The only possibility was Akane's piglet, which had stopped its attack on Ranko and looked like it was shaking with rage. For the first time Misato noticed it had a bandanna that looked just like Ritsuko's around its neck. One might almost think . . . . Nah!

"Tell me, Akane-chan, how is your cooking coming along?" Nodoka asked changing the subject.

Akane blushed and stared nervously at her fingers. "It's getting better, Auntie," she mumbled.

"Yeah, right," Ranko sniffed.

"I gave Akane-chan some lessons just a few weeks ago," Nodoka explained to Misato and Ritsuko.

"Now she can boil water!" Ranko grinned.

"Ranko! Please give your cousin some support," Nodoka admonished the small redhead.

"Sorry, Auntie," Ranko said meekly.

"That's great, Akane!" Misato grinned giving her a thumbs up sign. "Boiling water is all a woman needs in today's society. You go girl!"

"What?" she asked as Ritsuko jabbed her in the ribs. Ritsuko said nothing and frowned.

"So, I hear you're engaged to my little brother?" Misato asked turning back to Akane changing the subject.

"Yes," Akane said slowly looking slightly sheepish.

"What's he like? Have you two gotten anywhere yet?"

"What?" Akane demanded.

"Oh you know," Misato winked." First base? Second base?"

Akane glanced at Ranko who gave her a stern look. Both of them quickly turned away, blushing furiously.

" I don't believe it," Misato laughed. "Sweet sixteen and already the heartbreaker! The little squirt moves fast!"

Ranko started coughing violently as Akane giggled.

"Oh my Ranko-chan! Are you all right?" Nodoka asked going over to the girl.

"I'm fine, Auntie, I just swallowed my tea wrong. Auntie, I was wondering, Uncle Saotome never mentioned Ranma having a sister."

"Imagine that," Ritsuko whispered.

"Quiet," Misato hissed.

"Really? I wonder why. I'm sure that he had a good reason," Nodoka said matter of factly. "He probably was concerned sentimentality would interfere with Ranma's training to become a true man."

Now it was Misato's turn to choke on her tea. "Oh please, Mother, don't tell me you're still going on about that man among men crap?"

"Misato! We are guests in this house! Apologize to Tendou-san at once!"

Misato closed her eyes taking a deep breath. "Please forgive my outburst, Tendou-san," she said bowing low.

"It's quite all right, Saotome-san, It happens to all of us," Soun waved it off smiling.

Misato smiled warmly before turning back to Nodoka. "But Mother, it's ridiculous. I don't know why you even keep that contract."

"Probably in case she ever comes to her senses and needs grounds for divorce," Ritsuko whispered sotto voice.

"You stay out of this," Misato hissed, "and anyway, Mother, the last time I brought someone home who met your standards of a manly you nearly cut him in half!

"That was different, dear."

"Oh really? How?"

"I don't think it's appropriate to discuss these things with company, dear."

"Mother . . ."

Nodoka's glare and slight frown ended the argument once and for all. A second later Nodoka smiled. "Well now, how about I help Kasumi in the kitchen."

* * * * * * *

The rest of the visit had gone uneventfully other then Ranko narrowly avoided being scalded by a boiling pot of water, which had gone flying when Nodoka had tipped during an inappropriate moment. Misato could quickly see that Ranko was her mother's latest project. Oh well, better her then me, she thought.

"Ranko-chan is such a sweet young lady wouldn't you say, Misato-chan?" Nodoka had asked.

"Oh please, Mother, she fakes it worse then I do," had been Misato's reply.

They had left Nodoka with the Tendous after supper was over. Nodoka was staying the night and was going to take Akane and Ranko shopping the next day.

"He had a very nice . . . . Mustache," Misato said dreamily as she and Ritsuko walked towards the Nerima train station.

"That was odd," Ritsuko scratched her chin pensively.

"What?" Misato asked.

"Oh please. Don't tell me you didn't notice anything strange about that kid?

"Which one?"

"The redhead, Ranko."

"You mean other than the pleasure of watching someone else getting Mom's special treatment?"

"Come on, Misato! Don't tell me you didn't notice the way she nearly choked or held her breath every time your Mom so much as mentioned Ranma. Or the way she was acting with, what's her name, Akane."

"Oh that's easy to explain," Misato said smugly.

"All right then, Holmes, tell me."

"She obviously has the hots for my little bro and she's jealous."

Ritsuko sighed, shaking her head as she rolled her eyes skyward. "Okay how about this? Comb out the pigtail and dye her hair purple and would she remind you of anyone?"

"Should she?"

Ritsuko gave Misato a look.

"You're not suggesting that my Dad sleeps around do you?" Misato asked sternly.

"From the few actual facts I can get from your ridiculous hero worship I wouldn't put it past him. But in this case I doubt it. She looks like a 16 year old version of your Mom for crying out loud. And the other thing. Where did she get the panda?

"What panda?"

"The one you might have noticed eating at the table next to you if you weren't so busy ogling the host. "

"Oh, that Panda. Who knows? Maybe it escaped from a circus."

"Unless your government was given one as a gift you are not going to see one outside of China. And the way that one acts is hardly like any of the ones I've seen in the zoo. All they ever do is sleep."

"Oh no, I know that look. You're not going to stop until you've figured out the answer to whatever riddle it is. Even if it's none of you're business."

"Damn straight. Meet me after class tomorrow afternoon. I have an idea," Ritsuko smiled mischievously.

* * * * * * *

"How could you do something so foolish?" Captain Katsuragi demanded. "It's bad enough that we are at the brink of destruction. Fighting between ourselves is just the opportunity the Seele empire is looking for to defeat us once and for all. And with that radioactive automation heading towards Tokyo 3 they won't have to work very hard."

The senior executive of the coalition that had built the robot hung his head in shame. For the past hour they had done everything in their power to shut down by remote. So far it had done them no good.

"There's nothing for it then." Katsuragi said at last. "The only thing that can be done is to shut it off manually."

"It is possible," Ritsuko said. "If we were able to catch up with it on one of the EVAs we could probably get you into its control room. The only problem is getting the right security clearances otherwise there's a chance we'll have a fifty kilometer wide crater just by touching the controls."

"Hope," said the senior executive.

"What?" asked Katsuragi.

"The security password is 'hope'," the executive clarified.

The robot was several kilometers ahead but the EVA had speed on its side. Its fast gait caught up with the robot in no time. Katsuragi rode in its palm dressed in a radiation suit.

"We're nearly there, Ritsuko, I'm ready to board," she said into her comlink.

"Good, now remember this is our only chance so try to make it count."

"Got it."

"Good luck, Misato, we're all counting on you," Lt. Ryouji called out.

"That means a lot, Kaji."

"Ms. Saotome!" Commander Ikari shouted.

* * * * * * *

"Yes sir! Misato shouted, jerking her head up from her notebook.

"Are we keeping you awake, Ms. Saotome?" Professor Ikari slowly pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. He looked more then a little annoyed.

Misato blushed as several of her classmates began to giggle. "Ah, no, sir. I was just taking some notes and I got wrapped up in what you were saying."

"Yeah, right," someone behind her whispered.

The rest of the class had gone even slower then usual with Ikari using her as the victim of a private interrogation. The bell came as a relief to Misato.

"One moment, Ms Saotome. Would you see me in my office?" Ikari asked just as she was getting up from her desk.

Misato slumped back down in her chair and sighed. It seemed that escape would be impossible.

* * * * * * *

Professor Gendou Ikari slowly turned another page studying Misato's file. Misato fidgeted as she fought the two conflicting emotions of terror and boredom. Ikari finally closed the folder, steepled his hands and stared up at Misato. "I must say I'm surprised, Ms Saotome. Your grades are actually quite good. Are you bored here?"

"Oh no sir! Never! Everything is hunky dory!"

"I'm glad to hear that," Professor Ikari pushed his glasses up his nose yet again, " I was afraid you might have a little too much free time. I happened to be talking to the principal of Furinkan High School. He told me they have a counseling position available. Since I see you were minoring in psychology, and doing your training there already, I took the liberty of suggesting you for the job."

"Oh sir that really isn't necessary," Misato said quickly, "not that I'm not grateful of course, but. "

"No trouble at all, Ms. Saotome, and don't worry. It won't effect your work load, much." Ikari handed her a piece of paper. "You'll only be dealing with three cases to start with. I'm sure you know them already."

Misato looked at the names written on the paper. If she hadn't already come up with Emperor Keele of the Seelie Empire she would have made Professor Gendou Ikari the villain of her story.

* * * * * * *

"Scary," Ritsuko muttered watching the girl select vegetables at a corner stall.

"Huh? What?" Misato asked. She had been too wrapped up in her own problems to notice anything.

"Kasumi, she's so much like this classmate of mine it's scary," Ritsuko repeated.

"Anyone I know?" Ritsuko asked.

"I doubt it. She's this gaijin transfer student. She just started this semester and lives with another classmate. If you met her you'd see what I mean."

Misato shrugged and walked up to Kasumi who was inspecting tomatoes. "Hi there, Kasumi wasn't it? It's me, Misato Saotome. We met last night, remember?"

Kasumi turned to the pair and smiled. "Oh my, Saotome-san, Hibiki-san, how nice to see you again. How are you today?"

"Terrific, Kasumi, thanks for asking. Say, I was wondering. Rits and I were talking and we couldn't help but notice you looked a little stressed out yesterday. Anyway, we're on our way for a night on the town and we were wondering if you'd like to come along."

Kasumi's eyes widened in surprise. "Really? You mean it? . . . . I mean, thank you, Saotome-san, I'd love too."

* * * * * * *

"And then he said, 'no, that's a scrub brush!'" Kasumi burst out laughing, pounding her fist on the table.

Ritsuko and Misato looked at each other slightly confused. This was a facet of bathroom humor that had never occurred to either of them.

"I don't get it," Misato mumbled as she finished her third Yabisu.

They had taken Kasumi to one of their favorite hangouts, the Peach Blossom. The Peach Blossom was a karaoki bar popular with many secretarial pools and most of the female students at the university.

"Oh, I like this, I want another," Kasumi giggled as she downed her drink. "It's so fruity. What did you call it again?"

"Margarita," Ritsuko said signaling the waiter.

The waiter was a tall gaijin dressed in very tight jeans with black suspenders. A pink muscle shirt covered a massive chest. He was far too handsome for his own good. "Vot can I get tchu ladies?" he asked in a thick German accent flashing a blinding smile.

"Another round, Klaus. A Manhattan for me and whatever rot gut Misato's drinking."

"Und vat vould di new girl like?" the waiter asked winking at Kasumi.

"Oh my." Kasumi stared at the waiter blinking rapidly.

"Another margarita," Ritsuko smiled showing her fangs as she rested her chin on her fist.

"Coming right up, Rits-chan," Klaus turned and sauntered over to the bar.

"Hello? Earth to Kasumi-chan." Misato waved her hand in front of Kasumi's face.

Kasumi said nothing. She was completely hypnotized watching Klaus walk over to the bar to get their order. "He models to," Misato whispered in her ear.

"Do tchu need anyting else?" Klaus asked as he handed out their drinks.

"Your phone number?" Kasumi blurted out.

"Rookie" Misato mumbled covering her hand with her hand.

Klaus smiled radiantly. "Dot is need to know information, Lieb-chan." He said gently.

"But I need to know," Kasumi pouted. "I need to know really bad."

"Forget it Kasumi-chan," Misato said patting her on the shoulder. "Greater people than us have tried and failed." Kasumi stared at her drink looking very much dejected. "So, Kasumi-chan, can you tell me what my father's like? I haven't seen him since I was eleven."

Kasumi looked at her drink again and took a long sip finishing almost half of it. She winced from the temporary brain freeze. "Don't get me started about that lazy slob," she muttered.

"Hmm, sounds like him," Ritsuko nodded.

"Be quiet," Misato growled finishing off her beer. "Go on, please, Kasumi-chan."

"At least Ranma tries to do the right thing, even when he is constantly breaking things and messing up my house. At least you get a good laugh when she finally remembers the reason you're supposed to keep the toilet seat down, again!" Kasumi finished her Margarita. As if by magic Klaus appeared at the table with replacement drinks for her and Misato. "But Mr. Saotome," she continued, " when he isn't just lying around or cheating at Go with father he's eating us out of house and home." Kasumi sipped her next drink. "And don't get me started on how he clogs the bathtub with his shedding!"

"Wait a minute, did you say she?" Ritsuko asked.

"My father sheds?" Misato added.

"I don't know, Misato, this is beginning to sound as weird as that story you're working on" Ritsuko commented.

"You write?" Kasumi asked.

"It's a hobby," Misato looked a little embarrassed.

"That is so exciting! I tried once but nothing I tried once but nothing I did was any good. What's it about?"

Misato proceeded to tell Kasumi about the EVAs and their valiant battle to save the world from the evil Seelie Empire. She even got out her notebook. Kasumi looked through it fascinated.

"Well what do you think?" Misato asked.

"I'm afraid I'm a little confused. In this last scene here. Who's piloting the EVA?" Kaasumi asked pointing to the last page of the notebook.

"Err."

"It's her first draft," Ritsuko said. "Other then that how do you like it?"

"Oh. I like it so far but I'm afraid some of it seems a little derivative," she said closing the book.

" What would you suggest?" Misato asked.

Kasumi took another sip of margarita thinking. "I know, make it so the world is hardly worth saving at all. Make it a dark and messy place that has to be tidied up. Make the Seelie Empire the least of the heroes' problems."

"Interesting, but how would the world get that way?"

"I don't know. How about if you have a bunch of dumb as dirt martial artists getting into a fight over something, a rice cake for example, and then all hell breaks loose. Eventually half the world is destroyed when they blow up a nuclear reactor. Something like that. "

"Oh, come on Kasumi-chan, what sort of idiot would start a fight over something that trivial?" Ritsuko asked. "And you can't suggest they'd cause that much damage?"

Kasumi gave her a look that seemed to imply Ritsuko had asked the stupidest question ever. "What does it matter?" she asked finally. "The world is a mad house anyway."

"Whoa, time out, time out, you're getting too serious, Kasumi-chan cheer up!" Misato interrupted. "You can't let life get to you like that! Here, it's our turn at karaoke, let's sing!" Misato grabbed Kasumi by the arm and dragged her to the stage.

"Misato wait! Not Sinatra again!" Ritsuko cried in desperation.

Too late.

* * * * * * *

"Are you sure Misato will be all right?" Kasumi asked as they stumbled out of the Peach Blossom.

"Don't worry, this happens all the time," Ritsuko laughed. "Right now I'm more worried about you, Kasumi-chan. I called you a cab, you should get home just fine."

"Yeah, just hunky dory," Misato slurred.

"Are you sure?"

"Our apartment is just a few blocks away. I'll be able to walk Misato home no problem."

"Just a nice midnight stroll," Misato giggled.

Kasumi hesitated as her cab pulled up. "Thank you for everything, you guys are the greatest," she said hugging both of them. She got into the cab and drove away.

Ritsuko smiled shaking her head. "Come on champ," she said putting Misato's arm around her neck. "Let's get moving."

* * * * * * *

Ranma looked down at his plate of eggs and burnt toast. The eggs still had the shells in them. Akane claimed it was breakfast. He looked at his father who was still in panda form and Mr. Tendou who looked to be suffering just as badly. Nabiki had gone to school early. "Is Kasumi sick?" he asked.

"I don't know she hasn't woken up yet." Akane said looking at her watch.

"Oh my, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was this late." Everyone turned to see Kasumi stumble into the dining room. She was still dressed in her nightgown and wrapper. Her hair was a mess and judging from her bloodshot eyes she could probably use another day of sleep.

"Kasumi!" Are you all right?" Soun asked.

"Please, Father, don't shout so loud, " Kasumi begged. " I just have a bit of a headache and I'll be able to . . . . excuse me." Kasumi covered her mouth and ran for the bathroom.

Everyone waited in silence until they heard the flush of the toilet. Kasumi stumbled back into the dining room. "I'm sorry, the eggs got the better of me," she muttered.

"Are you all right, Kasumi?" Akane asked softly.

"There's no need to raise your voice, Akane," Kasumi muttered rubbing her temples.

"What happened to you last night?" Soun asked. "When you didn't come home we were so worried!"

"We had to eat Akane's cooking!" Ranma added earning a blow upside the head from Akane.

"Oh my. I'm sorry I went out with some friends we had such a wonderful time." Kasumi winced as she rubbed her forehead. She sat down next to her father and poured herself some tea. "Akane, could you get me some aspirin," she asked.

"This is just a great end to a terrific week," Ranma said sarcastically. "First a sister I never knew I had shows up, Then Mom visits with her in tow. Then I have to go shopping with Mom and Kasumi disappears so I have to eat Akane's cooking!"

"Watch it," Akane growled as she came back with the aspirin.

"To make matters worse Pop refuses to change back rather then telling me anything about her and for all I know, I might run into her again today."

"You're being ridiculous, Ranma. She has no reason to see you until school starts again." Akane was getting tired of this particular rant fast.

"How can I be sure of that?" Ranma asked no one in particular.

* * * * * * *

Misato was finally awakened by the smell of Ritsuko cooking rice. She had a splitting headache and she wasn't sure if she would be able to keep anything down for the rest of the day. Of a scale of one to five she would give this hangover a four and a half. There was only one cure for this, beer.

She slowly got up and trudged towards the refrigerator. On the way she noticed that she had been sleeping in her clothes again and had passed out before she even had a chance to get the futon out of the closet. Oh well, not the first time that had happened. So far the fact she was walking in grass had escaped her.

"Ah, so you're finally up." Misato looked around bleary eyed to see where Ritsuko's voice was coming from.

"Yeah, yeah, where's the fridge? Need beer." A can of Yabisu hurtled towards her. Misato's instincts took over. Without looking she caught it in one hand. It was a bit warmer then she would have liked but it would have to do. She popped it open and took a long swig.

"Yeahahh! That hit the spot! I can face the day now!" She shouted.

"We're all happy for you," Ritsuko muttered.

Misato turned to see her roommate cooking rice at the campfire next to the pup tent that Ritsuko kept in her backpack for just such emergencies. As lucidity finally kicked in she realized she had spent the night sleeping in the woods.

"Where are we, Ritsuko?" she asked.

"Damn good question, " Ritsuko refused to turn as she answered.

"Where are we, Ritsuko?"

"You wouldn't believe it, the batteries on this global locator died. After I've had it for only a week. What a rip off!"

"Ritsuko!"