Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shinji Saotome ❯ Chapter 5 - The Black Rose ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5 - the Black Rose

*clong*

"Ouch!"

"Dammit, why does this have to be so hard?" wondered a slightly frustrated Akane Tendo as she traded her clubs in for a hoop.

When the gymnastic martial arts club from her school had asked her to compete against St. Hebereke Akane had agreed instantly. Now some might wonder why the club members didn't fight themselves. It seemed the number one gymnast Kodachi Kuno, also called the Black Rose had a bad habit of taking her competitors out of commission before the real match to win it by default. Up till now this tactic had worked very well, leaving St. Hebereke undefeated.

Hearing this Akane immediately thought herself the right person to break that record.

That was before she started training.

She had now gone through nearly all of the weapons available for this kind of fight and had yet to find a single one she could use without hurting herself in the process.

Akane threw the hoop into the air, first wanting to get a little feeling for it.

Unfortunately she misjudged its path and it hit her square on the head instead of coming down by her side.

"Ouch!"

"Akane-san, what are you doing?"

Akane whirled around to face the door, startled by the intrusion, to see Shinji standing there, looking as shy as always.

"Oh, you mean that?" She asked while lifting the hoop. "I have to compete against St. Hebereke in gymnastic martial arts on behalf of our school, because our team is out of commission."

"Huh, how come the whole team is out?" asked a slightly confused Shinji.

Akane's face darkened.

"Because the one I'm going to fight likes to take her competition out before the fight, winning it by default. Hah, I'll show this Black Rose that no one messes with me!"

Shinji sweat dropped. Akane was a little bit too sure of herself, judging from her performance.

"Uhm…Akane-san…how long do you have to train?"

"Only a week…..*sigh*….damn, who am I kidding? There's no way I'll be ready till then at this rate!"

"Maybe you could get Ranma to train you?" asked Shinji helpfully.

"Hah! That jerk hasn't got a clue about this; he would just make fun of me anyway." Akane promptly shot his proposal down.

"Now, what are you doing here Shinji?"

"I came here to train alone. Ranma said he and Ryouga want to `beat the crap out of each other' again, since their last fight was interrupted. He also said he would check to see if I worked out when he came back today. If I don't he'll up my training some more….slave driver. "

Shinji paused a moment and gestured at the various equipment strewn about.

"But since a challenge is more important I'll leave you alone to train."

"Wait....Maybe we could train together? I'm sure I would learn a lot more when training with someone."

Shinji stopped as he heard Akane's timid request.

"Uhm…sure I could train with you…but I've never done anything like that, so don't expect too much."

Akane smiled, something not seen very often, at least in the presence of males.

"Thanks, Shinji."

"No problem, Akane. Now, could you explain the rules to me?"

"They're rather easy. You're not allowed to hit your adversary with anything but your appointed weapons…that means no punches, kicks or other bodily contact. That's all there is to it, you can only use hoops, ribbons and clubs to hit your enemy."

Shinji blinked.

"……Okay, I think that could pose a problem, since all the attacks we know are rendered ineffective unless we modify them for fighting with weapons. We have a lot of work to do if you want to be fit for this match. Where should we start?"

Akane threw three clubs at him, which he caught.

"We'll start with these. I'm sure with you as a partner I can get good enough."

Somehow Shinji couldn't share that optimism as he started juggling his clubs and one promptly hit his head.

`I have a bad feeling about this….'

******************

3 hours later

Shinji winced as the bad feeling he had three hours prior was once again proven correct as Akane managed to get tangled up in her own ribbon.

Right now Shinji was really astounded at just how clumsy Akane really was.

Not that he would ever say that too her face, that would be impolite.

`…and she would knock me out' he added silently as he helped a frustrated Akane to get out of her self made prison.

"Akane, why don't we stop for now and wait for Ryouga and Ranma. I'm sure that would help."

Akane glared at him and he cowered back instinctively.

"I will NOT wait for these two. If you can get this down I can do so as well!"

Shinji winced again as he remembered that it took him only an hour to get a feeling for the equipment, which left Akane angry with him. It was just like the whole Asuka episode all over: Just because he was better at something people got angry with him. He couldn't really understand that, especially since it was only dumb luck anyway.

However, knowing that he couldn't change her mind and that Akane wasn't very far from blowing up on him Shinji decided to leave the girl alone for now.

"Ok. I'll go and help Kasumi to prepare dinner."

The girl huffed.

"Sure, why don't you just go and leave me alone. I can understand that Mr. Perfect doesn't want anything to do with me!"

Shinji ignored her comment, his face filled with sadness…and determination.

`So much anger….just like Asuka…it should not be like this…maybe I can help….this time'

****************

Shinji walked into the kitchen with a thoughtful expression and absently asked if Kasumi had anything to do for him.

Kasumi smiled radiantly, as always.

"Right now I don't need your help Shinji-kun."

Then she noticed the absentminded expression on the young boys face.

"Shinji-kun? You seem to have something on your mind."

Shinji snapped out of it and nodded.

"Yeah…you could say that."

"Then let's have a seat, maybe I can help with your problem."

Shinji took the seat opposite of Kasumi on the small kitchen table.

Ignoring the food cooking on the stove for now he looked at the eldest Tendo-sister seriously.

Up to that point she had always treated him kindly, and he had to admit he liked her very much. Basically they had become instant friends, something that Shinji, being as taciturn as he normally was, couldn't quite comprehend.

He really didn't want her to take what he had to ask the wrong way.

"I do not want to insult your sister, Kasumi-san, but…could you tell me why she is always so angry?"

Kasumi smiled at the boy reassuringly, knowing the temper of her younger sister the question was a valid one.

"You're not insulting her Shinji-kun. She has quite a temper that is true. But why do you want to know?"

Shinji's face showed clearly that he was warring with himself as he tried to decide whether to answer or not. As his inner conflict finally settled only determination and a deep hidden sadness could be seen in his eyes.

"I…once knew somebody who was angry very often, just like Akane. She was very prideful…but I think she was just hiding something behind that façade. I was blind back then, not seeing her anger at me for the warning that it was."

Then his voice took on a regretful and even sadder tone. Kasumi thought she saw some tears shimmering in his eyes.

"Kasumi, she became angry more and more often….and last I have seen her I think she was well on her way to destroy herself by doing something in a fit of rage she would have regretted later on."

Kasumi's eyes widened as the boy told his little tale, making the connections to her little sister herself.

Shinji didn't notice and continued on, his voice now growing firm.

"But I was really scared back then …and I had enough problems of my own. In hindsight it was rather selfish of me to simply take what she dished out and not once question why she did it. That has changed now, thanks to Ranma. It's really surprising what training with him and his father can do for a person, but that's not the point. I want to help Akane… before she starts down the same path as Asuka. For that I need help Kasumi-san, your help. I'm not strong nor understanding enough to do something like that myself. That's why I need you to give me some idea of what is going on with Akane."

Kasumi sat in silence for a while. For someone of his age Shinji had just given her quite an issue to solve. In truth it surprised her that he actually thought of these things. Seeing how serious he was Kasumi didn't even think about not helping him. Besides, Kasumi had noticed Akane's tendency to violence in the past and she didn't like it. Who knew, maybe this serious young boy before her could really help her little sister mellow out?

"Don't worry Shinji-kun, I'll try to help you."

"Thanks, Kasumi-san."

"She is my own sister; of course I want to help her to prevent from doing what this person you knew did. You don't have to thank me Shinji-kun. If anything I thank you for trying this. Now let me think for a moment…."

The well-being of her family and those living under the same roof in mind Kasumi remembered back to her own hurtful past, to the first years after their mother had died.

She closed her eyes to banish all unpleasant thoughts to tell Shinji what he had to know.

"You have probably wondered what happened to our mother, didn't you?"

Shinji nodded.

"She died nearly 10 years ago because of a car accident. Her death hit all of us pretty hard. Daddy broke down totally. He stopped teaching and didn't care about anything anymore……….that left the three of us to cope with her death alone. Each of us had her own way: Me, I was the oldest daughter and I wanted to make sure my family was all right, so I took over all the chores, while still going to school. It was hard, but it helped forget and someone had to do it to give the others hold."

Kasumi paused a moment to collect herself, and missed Shinji's frown.

"However, with daddy not working our money would have run out rather quickly, that's why Nabiki started to bring in money by charging fees for information, favors and photos. It was also her way to shield herself…I think. It helped her forget as well, just like me. That left both of us with something to do, something we were good at, something that helped our family."

Again, Shinji frowned slightly. If Nabiki was bringing in all the money, then the budget couldn't possible handle the Saotome's prolonged stay. Filing that information away for later Shinji concentrated on Kasumi's words.

"And that's where Akane comes in. She was the youngest when mother died. Only six years old. With us sustaining the family she had to find something else to be the best in. Seeing how daddy had stopped training she wanted to carry on the school. Of course, training yourself doesn't help to forget as good as sustaining a family. I think she is still not over mother's death yet. Maybe she feels the need to prove herself by being the best at something? You and Ranma pretty much took her title of best martial artist from her, Shinji. That probably left her with a sense of failure and now she gets angry more often because she doesn't live up to what she has set for herself."

Kasumi paused to see if she missed something and came up blank

"Mind you, that's all just second-guessing Shinji-kun. Anyway, that's all I can tell you."

Said boy could only nod dumbly. Kasumi had just stuffed his head full of information like no ones business, and frankly, he was a bit shocked anybody could understand another human being as good as Kasumi had just shown she did.

He didn't show it, but he planned to give Soun the beating of his life. For any adult to break down in such a situation so his children had to take care of themselves and him was…Inexcusable. Even his own biological father, bastard that he was, wasn't that irresponsible! At least Gendo gave him to his aunt and uncle, not to mention that he had a mega powerful organization to run. To think Kasumi took care of all the chores at age nine…Shinji could only marvel at her strength of character.

Shinji was just about to ask another question when both of them suddenly heard the distinct sound of something overcooking and Kasumi jumped out of her chair immediately to save dinner.

"Oh my! If you could help me with that Shinji-kun? It seems we have forgotten the time."

Shinji nodded and helped clean up the mess. Once both of them had brought order into the kitchen once more, Shinji broke his last query to the as of now second most trusted person in his current life.

"Kasumi? You said Akane becomes angry because she doesn't live up to her own expectations. Then how come she always takes out her anger on others, namely Ranma and sometimes me?"

Kasumi once again lost the recently replaced smile as she contemplated that question.

"Honestly…I do not know Shinji-kun. Maybe it's her way of coping with failure…blaming you two instead of herself? Let us not talk about this anymore Shinji-kun. I have had enough bad memories for one day and I am sure you have as well."

"Yeah. You're probably right. We should concentrate on cooking now…don't want the master cooks delicious meal go to waste. And thanks again for figuring your sister out, I'm not exactly good at this kind of stuff."

Kasumi smiled, really smiled, catching the implied compliment.

They spent the rest of the time in silence, strangely at ease in each others presence. While Shinji thought of the previous talk, Kasumi contemplated the young person next to her.

`For somebody who doesn't know how to figure other people out you sure know how to make their day a little brighter Shinji-kun. Stay that way…'

***********************

Ranma and Ryuoga were limping their way back to the Tendo-dojo, both of them looking like death warmed over.

Fighting all out for two hours straight does that to a person. Both were covered with a multitude of bruises and cuts.

Ryouga grunted in pain as he tried to talk

"Argh…Next time I challenge you to a fight, please send me to hell Ranma… I still can't believe we fought that long."

Ranma nodded.

"I know what you mean man. The same goes for me."

Normally Ranma would have continued with something like `nonetheless I won the match pig-boy', but being together with Shinji these past six weeks had clued him in to the fact that playing down one's victory assured that the loser didn't hold a grudge….besides, it was a very close call. In fact, Ranma's knockout blow lead to Ryouga's battle umbrella connecting with his left leg, which was even now hurting like hell.

So instead he opted to say:

"I must admit, I'm impressed Ryuoga. I never had to go to such lengths to win a match."

Ryuoga smirked, which looked quite silly with his bruised lip.

"Hah, just you wait Saotome! Next time I'll be the one left standing!"

"Ryuoga, remember what you said moments ago?"

"Oh, yeah, right…forget about it. Oh look, we're already here!"

"Right, now let's check if Shinji's still training. Afterwards we can eat and hit the sack."

What greeted them when staggering into the dojo was quite…different from what they were expecting. Shinji was nowhere in sight. In his place was Akane, lying on the floor tangled up in what must have been a ribbon.

Needless to say Ranma started laughing like crazy right away.

"The tomboy can't get anything right!

Ryuoga opted to stay silent, although he had problems holding his laugher in.

She was looking rather funny like that.

Akane growled.

"Will you two stop standing there and get me out of this mess?!"

Ranma didn't hear her and kept laughing, which left Ryuoga to open her bonds (Akane tm).

The moment she was free Akane stalked towards a still laughing Ranma, mallet-sama in hand.

*smash*

One mallet-use later the dojo was filled with silence, a very pained Ranma quietly moaning on the floor.

"Dammit you sexless tomboy, do you have to hit so hard?"

Akane snorted.

"You deserved it! Why can't you be as understanding as Ryuoga here? I have to prepare for a challenge in gymnastic martial arts and all you do is laugh at me. That's so…YOU!"

A now standing Ranma glared at Akane.

"That's still no reason to get violent! Anyway, what's that about a challenge? And where is Shinji? He should be training, not lazing off somewhere!"

Akane told them what she had said to Shinji and added a heavy dose of anger to her voice when she informed them, that `Mr. Perfect has already left because he was sick of waiting for her to get the basics down.'

"I could train you, if you let me. I know quite a bit about this."

Both Ranma and Akane looked at Ryuoga in surprise.

"Where did you learn THAT?"

"You can really teach me?"

Ryuoga opted to ignore Ranma's query and instead concentrated on Akane.

"Yeah, If you want me to."

Akane nodded happily.

"Thanks Ryuoga! Can we start right away?"

"Of course, Akane."

"Hey Ryuoga, Can you handle another student?"

Ryuoga looked at Ranma confused.

"Huh? You want me to teach you as well?"

Ranma snorted.
"As if. I meant Shinji. He hasn't done his daily routine yet" Ranma smirked "and there's no way I'm gonna let him out of it just because Akane is using the dojo."

Now Ryuoga smirked as well.

"Of course I can take on another student. Why don't you go and fetch him, don't want to him to miss anything, right?"

**************

At the same time in the Tendo kitchen.

As he waited for Kasumi to call everybody for dinner, Shinji felt the hair on his back standing on edge and couldn't help but think that something just went very, VERY wrong.

***************

4 days later

Akane lay down in her bed after a day of hard training…only to jump out again as she saw Kodachi Kuno flying towards her with a huge mallet in hand.

As her bed broke under the force of impact Akane took up a stance.

"What are you doing in my room?!"

Kodachi, clad in her trademark leotard, smiled sweetly.

"Why, I am only trying to settle our match next week in all fairness…TODAY!"

Without further warning the slightly deranged girl threw a club at Akane and her ribbon flashed out.

Akane dodged both by tucking herself into a roll to come up before her opponent.

Her punches were easily evaded as Kodachi sailed overhead.

Instead of attacking again Kodachi smiled again.

"Akane Tendo. It seems your reputation is earned. You shall fall before the grace of the Black Rose of St. Hebereke nonetheless! We will meet again!"

Just as Kodachi disappeared out the window Soun burst into the room

"Are you alright Akane? I heard sounds coming from your room…I…Who did this! Who attacked my baby?!"

Akane tried calming her father down.

"It's alright daddy, nothing happened, right?"

Needless to say, her efforts to calm Soun down were doomed.

********************

Up on the roof Shinji and Ranma were looking at the stars, when somebody suddenly landed lightly on the ledge above Akane's window. The person proceeded to bound over the roof.

Did I mention that some of the tiles were loose?

Suddenly the strange girl in leotard slipped and fell off the roof.

Before Shinji could even begin to react Ranma was already moving.

The pigtailed martial artist swung down and caught the girl in his arms, before they hit the ground. With a powerful leap Ranma pushed them away from the house wall to lessen the impact. He quickly redirected his jump on a tree and landed safely on the roof, right in front of Shinji.

"You all right?" he asked concerned.

The girl didn't release the grip around his neck but looked at him dreamily.

"Thank you for saving me. I am Kodachi Kuno, the Black Rose of St.Hebereke. May I know your name?"

Ranma shrugged, quickly getting over the shock of seeing Akane's future opponent.

"Sure. I am Ranma Saotome, heir of the Saotome School of Anything Goes Martial Arts."

Before Ranma could react he found himself on his back, lying on the roof.

"I am truly thankful Ranma-sama! Please, accept my love and let us consummate our relationship. Take this rose as a gift."

Watching on the sidelines Shinji watched incredulously.

`That girl sure is fast moving.'

Ranma took the rose reluctantly and inhaled its scent, only to be hit in the face by some kind of powder, inhaling it in the process. Wanting to get the substance out of his face he tried to move, only to find himself paralyzed.

"What the hell did you do?"

"Do not worry yourself Ranma-sama, I will do all the work."

Ranma watched in horror as the girl started working to open his pants.

"Will you stop that? Dammit, I can't move!" Then Ranma became aware of his brother sitting there in stunned silence. "Shinji! Stop her! This girl is crazy!"

Shinji nodded and stood up. He put a hand on Kodachi's shoulder to get the girl's attention.

Kodachi's head snapped up immediately when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Her Ranma-sama should have been unable to move, which meant someone else was there.

She found herself looking at a boy that was looking one, maybe two years younger than her. Needless to say she was annoyed with the little guy for interrupting her interlude with Ranma.

"What do you want peasant? If you have not noticed, I am very busy right now! Now be gone and mind your own business."

Shinji frowned slightly. This Kodachi Kuno had the same self-righteous attitude like her brother Kuno and he didn't like it one bit. Obviously Nerima had a lot of loonies running around. Normally he would have been intimidated by her words, but even he didn't take loonies for full.

"Excuse me, Miss Kuno, but I do believe it is my own business if you try to violate my own brother on the roof of our hosts. Don't you think? I would appreciate it if you let go of my brother immediately."

When she heard who the young boy before her was Kodachi schooled her features into a cool mask. Obviously this person was only trying to deny his own brother the pleasures of love.

"Never! I will not leave him just because you are jealous of our newfound love."

Kodachi easily ignored Ranma's protest to the contrary.

Shinji quickly dodged the bunch of Black Roses the girl flung his way, having seen them in action on his brother.

`Just like her brother. No reason, all violence' he thought sadly and rushed the girl.

Kodachi, seeing how she wasn't going to get some time alone with Ranma tonight jumped back to avoid Shinji's attack and ran away into the night, laughing maniacally

"HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA…:"

Ranma watched the girl disappear in the distance and sighed.

"Damn, I wonder who's more insane, Kuno or his sister." He said jokingly

Shinji didn't find this as humorous and kept silent. He couldn't help but ask the silent question: 'What happened to make them like this?'

*************

The next day

Akane, the Saotome brothers and Ryuoga, who was also attending Furinkan while he was around, were walking out of the school gates, happy to have finished another boring day at school.

Suddenly a shower of Black Rose petals was raining down on the school-grounds, confusing the heck out of everybody.

"What is that?" asked a bewildered Ranma.

To answer his question Kuno came to his side, for once not death-set on killing his newly appointed arch-enemy.

"That, foul sorcerer Saotome, is the great entrance of my slightly deranged and misguided sister."

Kuno hadn't even finished his little speech before his sister appeared, standing before a cautious Akane.

"So we meet again harlot! My brother has told me all about this unholy union between my darling Ranma and one of your kin! I will not allow that. This is why I came here. If you are woman enough, then you will give him to me, when you lose the fight!"

Akane, being as stubborn as always was quick to agree.

"It's a deal." She said through clenched teeth. "I will pound you into the ground little prissy!"

In the background Ranma looked on shocked.

"Hey, now wait a moment! Don't I have a say in this?"

"NO!" The two girls' outburst left Ranma's pigtail standing straight up, not that they were noticing, what with being busy throwing insults at each other.

Next to his brother Shinji was already trying to find a way to stop this unfolding insanity. It seemed trying to solve his brother's problems was becoming a habit for him, with a stress on trying. He wondered what that said about Ranma's life.

Then he caught sight of Kuno, who was watching the proceedings calmly, a state the kendoist had never been in since Shinji met him…at least when conscious. Knowing how Kuno reacted to Ranma's name alone Shinji decided on a course of action.

`let someone else solve this one for us.'

"Kuno-sempai, how can you allow this travesty? Surely you do not want your own sister to fall for my evil brother's magic?"

Tatewaki smirked down at Shinji contemptuously.

"Why should I stop my sister? She has always had a rather strange taste. The foul Saotome would fit her perfectly." Then Kuno's eyes got all dreamy " My deranged sisters sacrifice will help free my fierce tigress Akane Tendo from his evil clutches and even though I would hate to see the beauteous Akane lose to my sister, it has to be like this for her own good. Only I can shower her with the glorious affection she needs."

Shinji could only sweat drop. For someone who was posing as a Samurai he sure had a strange logic. He wanted to see his sister come together with someone he thought lower than dirt and he wanted to have the girl he supposedly loved beaten to the ground so he could date her. If he weren't such a loony Shinji probably would have called him a self-centered bastard.

As it was he viewed him as a crazy self-centered bastard.

For just one moment Shinji wanted to tell Kuno that he would still be left in the picture, but he quickly decided against it when he remembered just what Kuno did to guys that were in his way.

Meanwhile the argument between Akane and Kodachi was reaching another climax.

The Black Rose had a predatory look on her face that was directed at the little pest who had interrupted her little get together with her darling-Ranma from the night before

"So you believe yourself so much better then me Akane Tendo? Tell you what. If you are that confident in your abilities surely you do not mind adding my darlings annoying little brother as a prize for the victory?"

Akane simply nodded, not even realizing what she was doing in her rage.

" Yeah, sure. We'll do that. Not that it matters anyway."

Suddenly Kodachi broke out into a grin.

"Good to hear that. I'm sure he'll make a nice dinner for my little pet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…."

A shower of rose-petals later Kodachi was gone, leaving a seething Akane and two very stunned Saotomes behind.

Shinji's jaw hit the floor.

`Did she just say I'll be her pet's dinner? This isn't supposed to happen to me! These kinds of things are Ranma's forte!'

Ranma, who had recovered a lot faster than Shinji started grinning as he started dragging the dazed boy away.

"Hah, seems like we're together in this one bro!"

Ryuoga, who hadn't said one word the entire time, couldn't help but chuckle.

"You know Ranma, it really sucks to be you…or your brother for that matter!"

Ranma glared at the lost boy.

"Oh, will you just shut up! And try to take Akane on a little bit harder in training today…I don't even want to think about the consequences if she looses."

**************

Later that day - Tendo training hall

Akane danced through the training hall with grace and speed as she twirled her ribbon and fought an imagined opponent.

That would have been the impression the untrained eye would have had, if it weren't for the fact that Shinji was doing the same thing with a lot more grace and complex moves.

Over the last days it became painfully obvious that Shinji was by far the better learner. That may have had something to do with the fact that Akane expected to get everything right the first time, which led to frustration, which in turn led to her becoming unfocused.

Shinji on the other hand had a lot of patience. He seemed to take initial failure as granted, even though that wasn't the chase.

Add to that the fact, that Ryuoga couldn't say an unkind word to Akane if his life depended on it and that he was training Shinji all the harder for it and you get the current situation:

Akane was just now moving to more complex moves, while Shinji was already perfecting them.

Currently Ryuoga and Ranma were watching the other two performing their katas.

When Akane wound down first Ryuoga walked over to her, intent on giving her a few pointers.

"So, how did I do?"

The hopeful expression Akane had quickly erased all his notions of giving her pointers.

"…Very well… Akane.I don't see…too many problems?"

Ranma rolled his eyes.

"Oh get a grip on yourself, Ryuoga." Then addressing Akane " In truth, your performance sucked big time. Your movements are too erratic, you're too slow and a lot of your moves weren't timed right."

Akane's face darkened considerably.

"What would a jerk like you know anyway? Ryuoga is the one training me, not you!"

"Uhm..Akane..you know…he may have a point." Said Ryuoga quite timidly. Seeing how Akane's expression darkened even more, he made warding gestures with his hands.

"I…mean…not that you're bad or anything, but just look at Shinji over there."

Akane did as he said and watched the boy for a moment. Once again little perfect Shinji outmatched her! The nerve of the kid: First he beats her in hand-to-hand combat, then he shows her up in a new martial art. All she wanted to do was to pound him flat for doing this to her…but her roaring fire of rage was dosed by a cold realization:

She wasn't good enough, that was all there was to it. As Shinji performed an extra flashy move Akane's aura flared.

`I will be damned, if I give up! I'll show them what I can do!'

"Ryuoga!" Said boy flinched from the force of her voice. "You will train me for real now, until I have this down, is that clear?"

Ranma slowly edged away from the lost boy and tried to stay well out of Akane's way as Ryuoga started giving her pointers.

With every error Ryuoga told the girl Ranma felt her aura flaring, yet she kept it in check with pure will and determination to get the style down.

He couldn't help but let a small smile cross his lips.

`She's starting to learn...'

After Shinji finished his kata a few minutes later the two Saotomes left the dojo in the hands of a lost boy and a highly motivated girl.

Once outside Ranma clapped Shinji on the shoulder.

"Come on, Shinji. Let's spar for a bit, don't want you to become lax, do we?"

Shinji, however, hadn't heard his brother. He had just seen a very tired and frustrated looking Nabiki enter the house. Seeing her come home that late wouldn't have bothered him too much, but she was doing that an awful lot lately…and in light of the talk he had with Kasumi a few days ago, he could guess why that was.

"Sorry Ranma, but not today. Maybe you can ask your dad?"

"Oh? Chickening out little brother?"

Shinji shrugged.

"If you want to call it that, then yes. I have to go now."

Ranma watched his younger brother enter the house with mixed feelings. Something was up.

Shinji NEVER backed down from training unless something very serious turned up.

Then Ranma shrugged.

`Nah, why am I even worrying? Shinji's dealing with it, after all! Time to beat the crap outta pops!'

*************

Shinji was looking at the door of Nabiki's room with trepidation. So far, he hadn't dealt all that much with the middle Tendo-daughter and was therefore still very unused to her presence. However, standing in the hall wasn't going to help matters at all, so Shinji knocked on the door hesitantly.

As he got the confirmation to come in he opened the door silently and stepped into the room.

He turned a nice shade of red as he caught sight of Nabiki stretching on her bed in _very_ low cut shorts and a tight fitting top. Currently she was lying on her back and lifting her legs repeatedly.

"What do you want?"

Shinji tried to sound firm, but this new situation along with Nabiki's cold tone brought back his shyness in full force.

"I…well….you see…I wanted to talk to you Nabiki-san."

Nabiki paused in her motions, slightly surprised to find out she was speaking with Shinji since she hadn't bothered to see who it was up till now. The two of them hadn't spoken too much since he arrived at the Tendos, so she was wondering what the boy could possibly want from her.

"What's on your mind Shinji-kun?"

Shinji cleared his throat and fidgeted nervously.

"Well…you see…I was wondering….your father doesn't teach anymore …and he doesn't have a job either. … and I kind of…you know….wanted to help some…since we're probably eating you out of house and home…"

Nabiki stopped abruptly and sat up to look at the boy perplexed. She had expected a lot of things, but not that.

"Why would we need your help?" She asked a little rasher then intended

Shinji flinched back.
"Well, Kasumi kind of told me your pictures and deals at school are the only income… that's keeping the house running…and I'm pretty sure with Ranma,… father and me here that won't be enough…so…I wanted to help."

Nabiki smiled at the boy. Truth be told their budget was extremely stretched, and she had planned on asking Mr. Saotome to get a job. Seeing the youngest Saotome taking the initiative on things Nabiki couldn't help but wonder what else the little guy had hidden behind his somewhat meek exterior, beside a level head and a good heart that is.

But first things first, now she had some business to do.

Shinji watched as the older girl stood up and walked over.

She smirked at him.

"I think, I have a few ideas of how you can help us out, sweetheart."

As the girl ruffled his hair, Shinji couldn't help but wonder what he had gotten himself into this time.

"Now then, first off….."

*******************

When Shinji closed the door to Nabiki's door nearly half an hour later he hung his head. She had told him how to make money, all right. That didn't mean he was looking forward to some of her schemes.

However, as Shinji thought of one particular thing he had to do, he smirked broadly.

`It seems like you'll have to earn your keep from now on lazy old man!'

Of course, all this could wait until tomorrow

*******************

In the yard Genma Saotome shuddered violently, giving his son the needed opening to knock the overgrown man into the koi pond

"I win pops!"

"growf, growf" Translated that meant as much as `No fair, I was distracted', as you could read on the sign the Panda was holding up.

******************

After dinner

Ryuoga and Akane were still in the dojo training, the latter making a lot more progress then before.

Ryuoga was very pleased with her progress, but he didn't see that Akane was running on will alone after she had trained a good 6 hours straight, only pausing to get some dinner.

So he was slightly shocked when Akane didn't notice the ball lying in her path and fell.

*thud*

"ouch!"

"Akane, are you all right?"

"I can't stand..."

***************

After the rest of the household was informed of Akane's accident Dr. Tofu was called to check on her.

The doctor said she had sprained her ankle and that she wouldn't be able to do anything the next few days. After bandaging her ankle Dr. Tofu immediately left, leaving a very frustrated Akane behind.

Said girl was currently sitting on her bed and tried to show her older sister that she could take part in the match 2 days later.

To proof her point Akane tried standing up, only to fall back down again.

Kasumi frowned slightly.

"Akane, I want you to promise me not to go to this match!"

Akane looked at her older sister near tears.
"But Kasumi, I have promised to go and if I don't Kodachi will win by default!"

Standing near the window Nabiki Tendo smirked.

"Then we just have to find another girl to take your place."

"But whom Nabiki? We don't know any girls good in that kind of thing!"

The middle sister's grin widened even more

"So sure about it?" She accentuated her question with a pointed glance in Shinji's direction, who was standing in the hall with his brother to see what would happen.

As all heads turned in his direction Shinji sweated heavily.

"You can't be serious! No, not me! Why not Ranma? He's far better then me! Right bro!?"

Ranma looked panicked for a moment. No way was he fighting as a girl in a friggin leotard!

"But Shinji, you'd be the better choice. You've trained the whole week to get this down! I don't want to butt in here."

"But…"

The rest of Shinji's protest was cut of by Akane "You don't have to let it look like you don't want to Shinji. I'm not going to be angry with you…just…give her a good beating for me." The girl tried smiling, but her weak attempt to do so couldn't conceal her sadness.

Shinji stopped protesting at her words. He could tell she wasn't happy with the situation, but him not going to the match would make her even more unhappy.

"Ok. I'll try my best Akane. Good night all."

As Shinji started down the hall Ranma smiled at Akane.

"Don't worry; he'll be a worthy replacement for you Akane. I hope you get better soon. Night!"

With that he closed the door and hurried after his brother.

In the Room Akane sighed and whispered.

"When he wants to…he can be really nice."

"What did you say little sister?"

Akane looked up startled, having totally forgotten her sisters for the moment.

Her cheeks flushed as she looked down at her feet.

"Nothing."

Nabiki walked past her younger sister and gestured for Kasumi to stand.

"Come on Kasumi. I think we should leave her alone to rest."

When Nabiki was alone in her room she finally let a frown cross her face.

She had seen the look Akane had in her eyes when she looked at Ranma only minutes before and while it wasn't love…it could easily become that.

`Just take good care of her Saotome…or I'll become very unpleasant very fast.'

***************

2 days later - the challenge match

Shinji, or rather Rei, as they had decided to call Shinji's female form when in public, was walking behind her older brother Ranma to get to the changing cabins. Shinji decided to use Rei's name because she had always felt some kind of bond to the girl…and she was supposed to be her own sister...so the name was very fitting.

It didn't take them long to arrive at the right door and Ranma promptly opened it.

Everyone immediately spotted the black roses lying on the table and backed away, already knowing that only Kodachi would use these. That meant they couldn't be very healthy.

As it was, Mr. Saotome, who was also along to watch Shinji's debut didn't know that and promptly took the bouquet into his hands.

*pshhhhh*

Suddenly a red mist was streaming out from the flowers and Genma fainted on the spot, hitting the small pot of flowers that stood on a small stand with his head. That in turn caused the water inside to spill on his form, leaving an unconscious Panda with a big lump on his head snoring on the floor. Naturally everyone got a good laugh out of it while waiting for the narcotic to clear.

When the smoke cleared a few minutes later Shinji quickly changed into her leotard while the others walked to the great hall to take their seats..

As she waited for the match to start Shinji grew increasingly nervous.

Yesterday she had been trained by Ryuoga in her female from all day to get used to it some more and even though Ryuoga had assured her she was up to the challenge…she couldn't share the sentiment.

This was the first time she was fighting an official challenge. The fact that she had to do it before hundreds of people didn't help at all.

If you asked her, she would have told you she was more nervous then when she fought in her EVA. Eva may have been more deadly, but if she screwed up then, nobody would be there to laugh at her...literary.

When the time came Shinji stood up, once again noting that these leotards were _far_ to tight to be decent. Heck, if Shinji would have seen a girl clad like she was now a few months back she would have fainted on the spot.

As Shinji heard the announcer say her fake name she dismissed her idle thoughts.

If she wanted to win, she had to be at her fullest.

****************

"Hello ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the official match of gymnastic martial arts between St. Hebereke and Furinkan high. I hope you will all enjoy today's performance.

Now allow me to introduce our combatants for today:

The champion and captain of the St. Hebereke team, the lovely Kodachi Kuno, the Black Rose!"

The whole audience cheered as light flooded the hall and rose petals began to fall from the ceiling. Through it all Kodachi was lowered down into the ring, sitting on a small log that was suspended between two ropes.

She was clad in a white, fancy looking dress and looking like she was going to some party, not like she was going to fight.

She kept blowing kisses to the audience and once she was on the floor she started bowing until the applause died down.

Standing in the shadows next to the ring Shinji found the whole thing just plain ridiculous.

Why didn't she just walk into the ring like normal people?

"And now I introduce the challenger: A big applause for Rei Saotome, the representative of Furinkan high!"

Once again the audience cheered, this time with far less enthusiasm, as Shinji walked up to the ring.

Shinji herself had noticed that as well, but wasn't very surprised, considering most of the audience was from St. Hebereke.

She stepped onto the ring and bowed once.

The announcer once again took the word.
"Now for the rules: You can only hit your opponent with any weapon that is issued in gymnastic martial arts. Bodily contact with your opponent is not allowed! That same goes for sharp weapons or any other lethal implements! First one to submit, get knocked out or knocked out of the ring loses! And NOW LET THE FIGHT BEGIN!"

Immediately Shinji shifted into a ready stance, while Kodachi stood relaxed, smirking confidently.

"So it seems that Akane Tendo hasn't managed to answer my challenge. A pity that she sprained her ankle…and that without my help. Hopefully you will give me a sufficient challenge Rei Saotome. May the better girl win!" She said while offering her hand

Shinji was a little perplexed. That girl could be quite nice if she wanted.

For a moment Shinji relaxed and stepped forwards to take the offered hand from the girl.

That was Kodachi's cue. The next moment Shinji found the white dress flung her way…and managed only barely to dodge the piece of cloth.

Kodachi's following attack with her ribbon sliced trough the dress, but missed Shinji.

"The Black Rose takes the offensive with a very sneaky attack, using her dress to obscure her real attack! Rei dodges with quick reflexes!"

Shinji ignored the speaker as she desperately dodged strike after strike form Kodachi's ribbon. Even now it was clear to her that she was way in over her head. Of course, that didn't mean she couldn't try.

As Kodachi's ribbon flew at her once again, Shinji rolled to the side and took out her own ribbon. Kodachi once again attacked and this time Shinji dodged to the left. In one swift movement her own ribbon flashed out and caught her unsuspecting opponent's wrist.

Before Kodachi could react Shinji tugged at the ribbon with all her might, flinging Kodachi to the ground. This move had the side effect of loosening the ribbon, which enabled the prone girl to slip out of the hold.

Kodachi jumped back to put some distance between herself and Shinji and caught the hoop one of her teammates threw into the ring.

"Not bad little girl. Let's see how you fare against this!" Said Kodachi as she hurled the hoop towards Shinji.

The smaller blue-haired girl threw out her ribbon to ensnare the incoming hoop, only to watch the hoop slice right through it.

Thinking that coming anywhere near that particular hoop was a _very_ bad idea Shinji twisted to the side the last possible moment. However, she wasn't fast enough and the front of her leotard was ripped open in the middle.

Immediately Shinji's mind shifted gears. It was obvious Kodachi had every intention of winning this fight…even if it meant seriously hurting her opponent. Shinji didn't mind Kodachi doing that to her…but she would do the same to others. THAT made Shinji's blood boil.

On the sidelines Ranma noticed the slight shift in Shinji's stance right away and knew that Kodachi was in deep shit. The younger girl seemed totally unaware of the superficial wound on her stomach and was now focusing the other girl with an intense gaze.

Kodachi, seeing how her opponent didn't move, obviously too shocked after being hit, acted quickly. She ran forward and brought out a club.

"Now beware of my ultimate technique: The dance of a hundred clubs!"

Shinji stood stock still as the enemy ran towards her, but caught the club Ranma threw at her nonetheless.

When Kodachi was only a few feet away her eyes narrowed and she darted forward.

Kodachi, totally unprepared for her opponent sudden aggressiveness was hit in her ribcage several times before she could recover and start her attack.

"Dance of a hundred clubs!"

Shinji found herself on the defensive as seemingly dozens of clubs flew at her at once. Normally the attack would have overwhelmed her, but she was fueled by a cold rage at the other girl's reckless behavior and held her ground.

For a few seconds clubs flashed back and forth between the two fighters. Shinji felt various hits all over her body and knew she wouldn't be able to keep standing at this rate.

Instead of blocking the next barrage she left herself open, taking a few very hard hits, and struck Kodachi's wrist.

The other girl lost her grip on her weapon, forcing her to stop her attack as it fell down.

The audience could only stare in shock as not one but over ten clubs fell out of Kodachi's hand.

Ranma, who was standing next to the ring, was surprised as well, but for other reasons.

What had him surprised was his brother's speed. In the current stage of his training Shinji shouldn't have been able to move even half that fast, yet he…or rather she still pulled it off somehow.

Shoving the incident to the back of his head Ranma turned back to the fight.

Shinji gave Kodachi a cold smile, the various bruises and abrasions forming on her body not even registering in her mind as she calculated her next move.

Kodachi watched the other girl cautiously as she backed away. The little girl shouldn't have been able to block that move, yet she managed anyway. That alone wouldn't have bothered Kodachi too much….but the way the blue-haired hell spawn was smiling at her sent chills down her spine.

When Kodachi was on the other end of the ring Shinji saw her chance.

She rushed forward; looking like she wanted to skewer the other girl with the club she held pointing straight forward.

Kodachi nearly laughed out loud when seeing the obviously rage-driven and pathetic attack.

In the last possible moment she jumped upwards, sailing over her opponents head.

Under her Shinji, having fully expected that move, turned 180 degrees and threw her club at Kodachi's flying form.

Readjusting herself in the air Kodachi whipped out another ribbon to ensnare the other girl, only to be hit by a club straight in the solar plexus.

Shinji smirked as the added force of his throw carried Kodachi's form clear over the ring

Next to the ring Ranma smiled proudly. That was one clever move his younger brother had used.

Up in the ranks Genma Saotome, who had woken up sometime during the fight, bragged to Soun.

"See! That's my student! Only one of my students can come up with something like that!"

Akane snorted

"Pa! Like that was such a great move. "

Nabiki was busy taking another snapshot of Shinji's female from.

`This is going to make a fortune'

Needless to say everybody was stunned when Kodachi whistled, and suddenly the whole ring moved to where she would land.

Next to the ring Ranma frowned. After the ring stopped moving he crouched down and pulled the material covering its side away a little bit. Instead of wooden boards he found that most of the area behind was hollow, that is if you disregarded the other members of the St. Hebereke team that were happily chatting away. Obviously they had carried the ring around.

`Now what can we do about this?'

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw a rat making its way through the hall.

`Perfect' He thought and quickly grabbed the small animal at the tail.

Ignoring the rat's protests he drew some of the material to the side and threw the rat under the ring.

`3…2…1..'

"EEEEEKKKKK A RAT!"

The next moment nearly 20 girls came stumbling out under the ring in panic.

Of course, the referee once again didn't take notice of this.

Not that Ranma cared anyway. Shinji would win one way or another…he had been trained by the best after all.

In the ring Shinji waited silently as Kodachi tried to get her bearings back.

It seemed that one hit had tipped the odds in her favor quite well.

The only problem she was facing was the issue of knocking the other girl out, since she obviously couldn't throw her out of the ring. Kodachi may have been looking bedraggled, but she felt her own strength slowly fading because of the many hits she had already taken..

As if on cue the screams under her feet started and twenty some girls fled from under the ring. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Ranma giving her thumbs up. Shinji also noted that Kodachi was unaware of what just happened, still to shook up from their last clash.

`Okay... that takes care of that problem. Now let's see if we can do this again'

The crowd cheered as Shinji ended the short pause by charging at her opponent, one club in each hand.

Then Shinji was onto the other girl, both hands nearly blurring as she committed herself to an all out attack. The Black Rose dodged, but soon she was cornered.

When Kodachi once again jumped overhead to get away from her Shinji grinned. She whirled around and threw both clubs at her.

The Black Rose gave Shinji a condescending grin as she caught both clubs in her hands, this time prepared for the move.

"Do you think this will work twice? Hah!"

Kodachi one again whistled, still grinning….and watched in horror as the ring didn't move to catch her.

Down on the ground Shinji watched the grin on Kodachi's face give way to horror with amusement clearly written in his features.

`I wonder if father is always such a bastard just so he can see this kind of expression on people's faces. I could understand that…somewhat.'

*thunk*

And so the rather comical meeting of one Kodachi Kuno's bottom with the hard ground signaled the first victory of one Shinji Saotome in the world of martial arts.

****************

Author's notes:

Wow, this one flowed out of me like no ones business. It was just like a dam broke or something. The scene with Shinji and Kasumi in the kitchen turned out longer than I thought it would…but I think it showed some of the motives for all three Tendo-sisters very well. Aside from that, I wanted to show that Kasumi isn't just some little girl who's oblivious to her surroundings….as the saying goes: calm waters are deep……..

Yeah, I know this chapter is revolving around Shinji for most of the time, but I can assure all of you Ranma fans that we will see a lot more of our pigtailed hero later on. AND it's not just to let something blow up in his face….well, not all of the time anyway.

Hope you enjoyed the fight-scene at the end. It was rather drawn out, but I think Shinji's first fight has a right to be that detailed, eh?

Last but not least I want to thank my pre-reader Ranshin for once again correcting my horrible grammar and spelling.

I also want to thank kuracao for his suggestions that helped in lightening the story up a bit. He's also done a little omake.

Now I'll just ask you nicely to drop of a review after going to the trouble of reading through this and then I'll leave you alone to read kuracao's omake..

NOW OMAKE TIME:

(a little change to the scene in Nabiki's room

Shinji watches as the older girl stands up and walks over.

She smirks at him.

"I think, I have a few ideas of how you can help us out, sweetheart."

As the girl ruffles his hair, Shinji can't help but wonder what he has gotten himself into this time.

"In fact, if what you said just now is true, you will help me a great deal…"

Shinji raises an eyebrow at the remark, not fully processing the sentence…

"You see, Shinji-kun, I already have a request from Ms Washu for a little experiment, well paid. Sorry but she will be here in a few second so…" Nabiki is smiling like the cat that ate the canary

Shinji, not fully understanding the situation but knowing that experiment is not something that he will like, activates the final Saotome technique: RUN AWAY!

Rushing to the door, Shinji notices too late that it looks like a mirror and promptly vanishes.

Ten seconds later, Washu Hakubi, greatest genius of the universe, in her nurse outfit, hands Nabiki a bundle of 500-Yen banknotes.

"He will be back in one hour, probably a little winded I think. Taking the final sample, from a non-willing subject, can be rather difficult."

Nabiki doesn't raise her eyes from counting the cash in her hand and nods her head, while a small corner of her mind wonders just what the final sample is.