Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ The Intense Clash of the Gods ❯ Tale 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"I look forward to seeing how they do," Aiacos said to his fellow Judges as they walked together to the stadium, located on the banks of the river Styx. "Has there been any word about their training?"

"None at all," Radamanthys answered as he shrugged. "Lady Persephone selected one Specter and he gave some advice, but they were isolated and we have no idea what they've been doing the past eight days. What I'm wondering is which one of us they'll have to fight."

"Optimistic, aren't you?" Minos asked, smiling as Radamanthys pumped an arm, the black Surplice of the Wyvern of Celestial Fierce Star shining brightly.

"I'm a soldier," Radamanthys stated, "For Lord Hades, I would fight all the Gold Saints at the same time. Might not win, but..."

"Point taken," Aiacos said. "I took the 'Greatest Caution' head-on once... not a pleasant experience even with my Surplice protecting me."

"You two..." Minos muttered as he shook his head.
_
The stadium itself was filled as far as it could go, Hades and Persephone sitting in their private box while Radamanthys, Aiacos, and Minos sat in their own a few feet below. Below them were the three substitute Judges, Lune von Karma for Minos, Alessi "Pharaoh" Sethan for Aiacos, and Rudo "Kaiser" Stroheim for Radamanthys, each sporting the Surplice of their respective animals. And lastly, below them, were the remaining Specters, eager for battle.

Eventually Hades stood up, his Surplice materializing on him, six white wings like an angel's offsetting the otherwise completely black armor. He unsheathed his sword, Abyss, and pointed it skyward as the Specters instantly silenced themselves. When Hades then spoke, it was at room-volume, at ease, and in no way forced.

"It is very rare for a person to be capable of partaking the Trial of 108 Fates, let alone four of them," Hades said as he put his sword back in its sheath. "As many of you know, they have been thrown into a conflict I myself wish to take part in, if only to end it as soon as possible. However, due to my pact with Poseidon, Zeus, and then his daughter Athena, as well as the Eastern goddess Ambrosia, I am barred from taking action against mortals, even if they wield the power of a god. Instead we must test those that have the potential to end it and show no mercy, for their enemies will give no quarter and therefor we cannot either. So let the battles of the 108 Fates begin!"

The crowd cheered as they saw the first of the four step into view, Fenrir Volsung. He wore no God Robe, instead donning the clothes he had day after day in the wilderness of Asgard. His hair had been trimmed, but the style remained nonetheless.

On the other side of the arena came the great Harpy of the Celestial Mourning Star, Valentine Bia. The Specter removed his helmet, letting his short white hair be revealed to the crowd, a misleading appearance due to his young age. In fact, he was only three months older than Fenrir.

Hades watched from above, hoping for the outcome he wished when he felt a gentle hand move a strand of hair out of his face.

"Shun," Persephone whispered, saying the name of the boy that had discovered himself to be the god's reincarnation. "We must have faith in them."

"Indeed, Malon," he answered, returning the favor.
_
"This won't be long," Valentine said as he put his helmet back on and looked Fenrir up and down. "Volsung eh? Word was that we got a lot of Volsungs that one day fourteen years ago."

Fenrir didn't answer, instead dropping into a fighting stance more meant for defense than offense.

"What, no playful banter?" Valentine asked honestly. "You idiots take all the fun out of public executions, you know that?"

He flew up into the air, his Surplice's wings opening up as he dived down. Valentine sent punch after punch shooting in Fenrir's direction, but through it all the wolf boy kept his guard up, side-stepping the attacks and then kicking Valentine in the chest when he came into range.

Valentine staggered back, unable to believe what had just happened. Did he really manage to crack my Surplice?!? he thought as he looked down to see an ugly and noticeable scar running vertically across the entirety of his armor. He looked up just in the nick of time, Fenrir charging at him with his hands curled into fists.

"BUSTER WOLF!" The fist surged out, Valentine flying out of the way and utterly horrified by the sight he saw...

Fenrir's fist had slammed straight into the ground, leaving a crater twenty feet in diameter and at least fifty feet deep. He looked up at Valentine's shock and then back down at his hand. "It took me all eight days," Fenrir said as he curled his fingers back into fists. "All eight days I stood there, punching that plank again and again... correcting my aim after every single hit. And even when I was hitting dead-on, I still needed to hit harder. So I did, over and over and over again. The Buster Wolf is the pinnacle of my physical strikes... a punch that shatters bedrock like nothing."

"But useless against one who can fly!" Valentine shot back as he spread his wings, feathers falling to the ground. Fenrir could faintly sense the smell of chocolate among them. "AND YOU'RE DEAD! SWEET CHOCOLATE!"

The feathers suddenly exploded, Valentine relieved of how easy it had been as Fenrir vanished in the smoke. With any luck, he could get his Surplice repaired and-

"No, Valentine... you're dead."

The Harpy of the Celestial Mourning Star turned in horror to see that Fenrir had leapt up behind him and calmly extended his arms straight out.

"Dead Howling."

There was a flash of blue light as the image of a wolf shot out of Fenrir's hands, accompanied by a howl, and then it blasted straight through Valentine, killing him practically on contact.

Fenrir landed on his feet and then stared up at the audience. Hades was smiling, and then he stood up and clapped.

The Specters followed immediately.

Fenrir walked away, exchanging a quick glance with Isaac as he stepped out to fight.

"Don't lose," Fenrir said.

Isaac responded on impulse. "I'm fighting for justice. I can't lose."