Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 10: Toyko-3 Renaissance (Rebirth) ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Toyko-3 Renaissance (Rebirth)
 
Emerald edition notes: We're moving along here… 10 down, 25 more to go before all are in narrative… I will be adding new ones along the way, of course. Thanks to Daniel and Luke for the prereading for this chapter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sunday, November 8th.
 
 
 
A new day dawns for the world... down in NERV headquarters, repairs are already underway. Over in the secondary command center Gendo Ikari and Kozo Fuyutski discuss the current situation...
 
 
 
“What's the status on Unit 02?” Asks Commander Ikari.
 
“It's capable of being restored... but it will take at least 5 weeks to be back at 100% status.” Commander Fuyutski says with a sigh.
 
“And Unit 01?”
 
“No problem there.... it has been restored completely. The sync test went remarkably well...”
 
This gets Gendo's attention. “What do you mean?”
 
“The 2nd child had a sync rate of 70% on her first try. That's pretty amazing considering that it was her first time in another EVA... the other two pilots had 78% sync rates. You also have to consider what she went through in that last battle... I'm surprised she could sync at all... “
 
 
To see what this scene looks like, look at picture #2 on my first picture page on my website...
 
 
Gendo folds his hands. “Hmm... this is even better than I expected...” After pausing for a moment, he continues. “Onto other matters. The UN has been restored, after flushing out all of the corrupted individuals. None of the members of SEELE were apprehended... they are still out there, somewhere... bent on revenge.”
 
“Which means they could be rebuilding as we speak- but where? All of the NERV bases have been shut down.”
 
“Correct. Either they have another NERV location that we're unaware of, or they are making a new base. Time is on our side, however. We have one EVA and another one under repair... they are no match for us.”
 
“Unless, they construct EVA's of their own...” Kozo says, trying to make a point.
 
“It will take a long time for them to do that, we have the best scientists in the world working in this facility. It's a shame that Dr. Akagi disappeared...”
 
 
Kozo feels a sense of dread within himself as Gendo makes that statement. He fears that "disappeared" means that she's probably dead... and Gendo was probably the one who killed her...
 
Kozo tries to push that thought out of his mind for the moment before replying back to Gendo.
 
“Yes, it is. Still, Lt. Commander Ibuki was her capable assistant, and I think she'll do just fine for what we need to do here. We also may be able to construct another EVA of our own with the parts that were salvaged from Units 05-13, we're looking at 6 to 8 weeks to piece something together...”
 
 
“Excellent. I think that the 4th child would be perfect for this new EVA, and also, look for an alternate pilot as well...”
 
Kozo immediately protests. “I don't think that the 4th child will want to pilot again... but there is a fellow classmate that has expressed an interest in piloting...”
 
Gendo decides to use this knowledge to his advantage. “See to it that both are brought in for initial testing once the entry plug and basic systems are online. The UN will be setting up a base here in the building, the JSSDF will be setting up a headquarters here as well... see to it that both are `serviced' adequately...”
 
“Both agencies will be setting up here? Why?” A surprised Commander Fuyutski says a moment later.
 
“The UN still has its suspicions about us, and the JSSDF is making the Geo-Front into a bomb shelter and a secret base. This is part of the deal I negotiated, so that the Geo-Front surface level will be restored, as will our funding...” Commander Ikari says, revealing his latest labor of work… and the results to his vice-commander.
 
All Kozo can do is sigh and be a little impressed by what he just heard. “You've done it again, Ikari.”
 
“Everything is proceeding smoothly...” Gendo says with a slight grin.
 
 
 
 
Commanders Fuyutski and Ikari continue to discuss plans for rebuilding the base and for restoring the Geo-Front. Meanwhile, back on the surface, Rei Ayanami wakes up and decides to head over to Misato's apartment...
 
 
Rei pushes on the ringer... twenty seconds pass before a tired voice answers and opens the door... a very sleepy Misato answers it…
 
 
“Come on in, Rei...” Misato glances at her watch. “You're up early... it's only 7:30...”
 
Misato finds it weird that Rei would show up- she was just researching her background on the computer.
 
 
“I have something to ask you, Major Katsuragi...” Rei says, taking a step closer.
 
“Sure. Go ahead and sit down at the table and we'll talk... and please call me `Misato'...”
 
 
 
Rei sits down at the kitchen table as Misato gets out a bowl, spoon, and a box of "Corn Flakes"...
 
“Did you eat breakfast yet? Normally one of the kids would make it, but they're still sleeping...” She says as she yawns and scratches her stomach.
 
“I have not… so I will have some of that cereal...”
 
Misato smiles. “Great!” She grabs another bowl and spoon, then brings everything to the table and fills both bowls up with "Corn Flakes"
 
After taking a spoonful of cereal, Misato decides to get right to the point. “What's on your mind, Rei?”
 
Rei was going to start eating but stops for a moment to answer Misato. “My apartment complex is going to be demolished in two weeks... and I was wondering if I could stay here...”
 
 
Misato is silent and begins to think about Rei's request as she begins eating her cereal. The sensation of eating this “new” food makes her think of one word- “Tasty”…
 
 
 
 
“Rei… are you sure that you wanna stay here? I thought you would maybe want to stay with Commander Ikari or something...”
 
“No...” Rei says, unable to hold back a momentary flash of anger.
 
“Well, if I can get authorization from headquarters, I don't see a problem with this... there is a small studio apartment next to this one. I'm sure with a little work; we could connect the two through that wall...” Misato points down the hallway. “You would be connected the main apartment here, but have your own space. What do you think?”
 
Rei nods her head. “Sounds acceptable.”
 
“Great! I'll ask when I head in tomorrow morning for work...” A grinning Major says, contemplating the idea even further.
 
“I also came to talk to Ikari...”
 
“Maybe you should wait a little bit before heading into his room... he's probably pretty worn out. He was out with Asuka yesterday, and I think those two are finally getting their feelings straight. They were probably up pretty late...”
 
Rei sighs softly. “Oh…”
 
 
Misato decides that now is the time to ask Rei about her statement yesterday at NERV.
 
“Rei, I have a question for you...”
 
“Go ahead...”
 
“What did you mean by the statement `I am as you are', yesterday?”
 
Rei's face turns red a little. “I uh... well... that is what I came to discuss with Ikari...”
 
“Really? Look, I don't mean to embarrass you here, but I do know everything now... what the Commander was trying to do with you, how you were made, and stuff like that...”
 
 
Misato watches Rei's reaction and notices that she's appearing to be getting a little nervous.
 
“Then you know why I want to get away from Commander Ikari. He tried to use me to achieve his own ends; with no thoughts about my feelings... that is why I want to `live' my own life...” Rei says that last part with a sad expression on her face.
 
 
`This is a different Rei, I swear she's changed... she wants to live instead of viewing herself as replaceable...'
 
A smile crosses Misato's face as she nods her head. “Rei, it's ok... I'll help you out here... it's nice to see you making an effort to live a real life independent of Commander Ikari...”
 
Rei cheers up a little after hearing that. “Misato… you said you read all of the information about my creation... so you know that I would be Ikari's... sister... in a sense...
 
“Yeah, that's right...”
 
Inwardly, Misato is grinning. `Asuka's going to flip over this one... she thought Shinji and Rei had something going on...'
 
“If this works out, then I guess we'll have a really big family here... is that what you were going to talk to Shinji about?”
 
“Y... yes it was.”
 
“Go ahead and talk to him before Asuka gets up, otherwise, who knows what will happen...”
 
 
Misato goes over to the refrigerator and pulls out a beer and proceeds to guzzle it down, Misato style while Rei gets up and heads over to Shinji's room.
 
“All right…” She says softly to herself before open the door and heading inside. Misato watches the door close and begins thinking about her new “family”…
 
 
Inside Shinji's bedroom, Rei quietly walks up to Shinji's bed and notices him talking in his sleep...
 
 
“Please, Asuka... don't tease me like that... you are so pretty... mmm... that's better... your lips are so warm... don't stop kissing me... your body is so warm...”
 
Rei gently shakes Shinji. “Ikari...wake up...wake up...”
 
“Huh... who's there?” Shinji says as he opens his eyes.
 
“It is me... Rei Ayanami...”
 
 
 
Shinji turns his head and sees Rei sitting on his bed, staring at him...
 
“Uh... how long were you here...” An embarrassed Shinji says a moment later.
 
“Just a minute... right before the `don't tease me like that' part...”
 
“S-sorry you had to hear that... well... uh... what's up?” Shinji says nervously.
 
“Ikari... there is something I must tell you...” Rei says while looking intently at the Third Child.
 
 
Not knowing what to expect, Shinji just nods his head and says “Go... go ahead, Rei...”
 
“D-do you know how I came into being? And who made me?” A slight hint of nervousness is in Rei's voice as she asks the question.
 
“No, not really...”
 
“It is important that I tell you...”
 
 
Rei starts to relate to Shinji the information about her creation, her true purpose, what her relationship was with his father, and other important details…
 
 
Meanwhile, Asuka wakes up and heads into the kitchen, to find Misato drinking a second can of beer...
 
 
Asuka looks at the empty beer can on the table and sighs. ”Geez... you ever heard of coffee or tea?”
 
Misato replies with subtle sarcasm back. “And a good morning to you, too... it's my usual morning drink, you should be used to it by now...”
 
“Yeah, yeah... where's Shinji?” Asuka pauses to scratch her stomach. “I wanna eat breakfast... and I'm sure I could get him to make something for us...”
 
“He's talking to Rei in his room...”
 
This takes Asuka totally by surprise. “What!? He's alone with Rei in his room right now? How long have they been in there?”
 
“At least five minutes now...” Misato says as she sips on her beer.
 
Anger inside of Asuka begins to bubble. “What did she want?”
 
“She came over a little while ago, she wanted to ask a favor of me, and to talk to Shinji... she said it was important...”
 
`Asuka's going to be SO pissed off at me after this for not telling her about Rei...' The Major thinks as Asuka begins plotting out her next course of action.
 
Asuka cannot help but get very jealous about the situation. “Well, I'm going to go in there and make sure nothing is going on...”
 
 
The Second Child starts to walk towards Shinji's room… Misato makes a comment that she hopes will be heard by the red head…
 
“I wouldn't be too worried, Asuka...”
 
“Why should you be, he's not your boyfriend...” Asuka snaps back and then begins to blush.
 
A change in tactics by Misato leaves an opening for a snappy remark back. `Hopefully this will calm her down a little…'
 
“Soooo... it's official, huh? You two are really an item?”
 
Unfortunately, this backfires and makes Asuka's resolve even stronger. “Yeah... and I intend to keep him all to myself...”
 
 
 
 
Asuka storms into the room, sees Shinji holding Rei…
 
 
 
(Flashback to two minutes ago)
 
 
“So... you see that I was just a tool for OUR father to use... please tell me that you will help me out... all of these new feelings...” Rei starts to cry because she cannot hold back all of the new emotions that she is feeling.
 
“Rei... come here...”
 
Shinji puts his arms around Rei and starts to comfort her. “It's ok. I'll help you out... I asked you to come back to be your own person, remember?”
 
Rei sniffles. “I remember... I should have told you sooner... there would have been less trouble between you and Asuka, and less conflict between Asuka and myself...”
 
“Uh... yeah. All that matters now is that we'll be together here... as a family. I'm sure Asuka will be nicer to you once she gets to know you better...”
 
`At least… I hope she will. Asuka has opened herself up to me, but to other people, well... we'll see. Both women need me now...' Shinji thinks as Rei silently contemplates his words.
 
”Brother...” Rei says as she rests her head on his shoulder.
 
(End flashback)
 
 
 
“What the hell is going on here? I thought you told me that you were mine alone?” Asuka says, venting her anger before giving into some of her other emotions. She starts to cry as Shinji tries to explain…
 
“Asuka... it's not what it seems here...“
 
“How could you?”
 
Before Shinji can say a word in response, Asuka turns and runs out of the room.
 
 
”I think Asuka has misunderstood the situation...” Rei says softly.
 
Shinji sighs aloud. “That's an understatement. Rei, stay here for a second...“
 
 
After taking a moment to figure out what to say to Asuka, Shinji gets up and heads into the kitchen where he finds Asuka sitting down in a chair at the kitchen table. Her hands are over her face and Misato is trying to console the weeping girl…
 
“Asuka, listen to me for a second... Rei is...”
 
“I don't want to hear it! How could he do this to me... after all we've done together...”
 
 
Shinji comes up right behind Asuka and wraps his arms around her waist... Asuka immediately realizes that it's Shinji's arms that are around her and begins to get angry. “Get your hands off of me, baka!”
 
 
Asuka gets up and looks at Shinji with a look that could burn through lead. Shinji starts to recoil in fear... but then speaks, hoping to get through to the young woman...
 
“Asuka... please listen to me!” Shinji says, pleading with her.
 
 
Asuka was almost ready to mouth a response, but is stopped by a swift kiss from Shinji. She steps back and looks at him with a look of bewilderment.
 
“Asuka... Rei is my... my sister...”
 
 
 
Slowly, Shinji puts his arms around Asuka, who is now trembling. “I'm sorry about all of this... but you didn't give me a chance to tell you before you stormed out of the room...”
 
“I'm sorry too, Asuka. I didn't tell you before you went into Shinji's room...” Misato says, apologizing for not making more of an effort earlier.
 
Asuka pulls Shinji closer. “It... it's ok. Shinji... I'm sorry I went overboard...”
 
“It's ok... you know that I will always be yours... heaven help anyone who tries to take me away from you... I know you would beat them senseless...” Shinji says, whispering in Asuka's ear.
 
“That's right, my baka Shinji... so don't pull that again, ok? Your sister, huh? I was jealous of your sister the whole time...”
 
 
 
As if by cue, Rei walks into the room and sits down at the table. She begins to observe the situation… and soon realizes something…
 
“So that what it means to love another person... to be there for one another...”
 
Asuka and Shinji turn their head and look at Rei... Misato decides to explain something to Rei.
 
 
 
“That's right. Those two lovebirds over there have one type of love between them... but I think Shinji loves you as well, that's why he was comforting you. Rei, you and Shinji have a different kind of love between you... family love. It's not the same as what Shinji feels towards Asuka... but it's still love...”
 
“That was insightful, Misato. Maybe that beer did help you wake up this morning...” Asuka says playfully.
 
A smile is the first response to that from Misato… and a finger pointed at Asuka is the second. “Yep... so stop making fun of my wake up drink!”
 
“Rei... uh...”
 
Asuka stops and takes a deep breath before continuing in her effort to make amends for what just happened… she's fighting her internal pride as the words come out.
 
“I'm sorry about all of this...”
 
“It is ok... we should try to be friends... since we may be seeing a lot more of each other soon...”
 
 
That immediately gets Asuka's attention. “What do you mean, Rei?”
 
“The city council will be building a new construction site and power substation in my area. My apartment building and the surrounding ones will be demolished in two weeks... so... I asked Misato if I could move in here...”
 
“Ummm... that's nice. I guess this family keeps getting bigger and bigger...” Asuka says with a soft sigh.
 
“Rei, come here...”
 
Shinji motions at Rei, who gets up and stands next to Shinji. He puts one arm on her shoulder and the other on Asuka's shoulder.
 
“What do you think, Misato? Do you think I can handle having these two wonderful women in my life?”
 
Asuka blushes. “Shinji...” She puts her arm around him tugging him towards her.
 
“Ikari... my brother...” Rei puts her arm around him and pulls him towards her… making Shinji feel like a tug-o-war rope…
 
“Stop that! He's all mine, Rei!” A protesting Asuka says as she tugs at Shinji some more.
 
“He cares for me, too. I do not want him to be with you all the time...” Is Rei's response back as she gently tugs him towards her. “You and Ikari said earlier that you would help me be more of a person...”
 
“Really?”
 
It takes a few moments for Asuka to remember her near death experience and the events immediately thereafter.
 
“Oh... yeah... fine. Just don't take too much of my Shin-chan's time..”
 
“Aww... how cute.” Misato pauses and winks at Shinji. “I'll be praying for you, Shinji...”
 
Shinji lowers his head in resignation. `Why me? Why me? Now I got two women fighting over me... this is going to be one interesting new world...'
 
 
 
A moment later, Misato comes up with a spur of the moment "evil" thought. “Why don't you show Asuka and Rei how well you can make breakfast? Show your sister how well you can cook, and show Asuka that you appreciate her...”
 
Shinji narrows his eyes. “I know what you're up to, Misato. You just want me to make breakfast, so you don't have to...”
 
“Maybe... but don't you want to prove yourself to these `wonderful women?'"
 
Asuka puts on her best "cute" face. “Please, Shin-chan?”
 
Rei picks up on what's going on and does her best to have a warm smile on her face as she asks “Will you make us breakfast, Ikari?”
 
“I guess...” Is the resigned reply from Shinji a moment later.
 
 
 
 
Shinji gets to work preparing a deluxe breakfast for the whole group, including Pen-Pen, who finally comes out after all of the commotion dies down... he gets to work making a breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, and orange juice...
 
Conversation soon flows at the table...
 
“Soooo, you guys have school tomorrow... are you excited about going back?” Misato says, teasing the three teenagers.
 
A very bored sounding Asuka replies back. “Not really... we are going to have a substitute teacher for tomorrow's half-day of classes... that's what Hikari told me when I talked to her...”
 
“What they need is another teacher permanently... the one we have now goes on and on about Second Impact, and it's not the real truth behind it.” Shinji says with a nod.
 
Rei agrees 100% with that statement. “That is why I look out of the window all of the time... to think about something else...”
 
Misato realizes something… `No wonder Asuka was always complaining about the teacher…'
 
“That bad, huh? My job not too much better, its gotten really quiet at headquarters since that last battle... all that's happening right now is repair work and restoring the Geo-Front... so... what do you guys want to do today?”
 
 
 
Asuka's mood quickly picks up. “How about some shopping? I didn't get everything I needed yesterday because SOMEONE here wanted to cut the shopping trip short...”
 
 
Shinji feels Asuka's elbow nudging him as Rei says her answer to the question.
 
“I would like to learn how to cook, since I have never done it before...”
 
“Well then... it's settled. I will go with Asuka shopping, while Shinji shows Rei some of his cooking techniques... after we clean up, of course.” Misato says, quickly figuring out the best way to handle this.
 
 
Not everyone is happy with this, however. “But I wanted to go out today...” Protests Shinji.
 
“When Asuka and I get back, you can go out with her. I'm sure she'll want to spend some time with you, right Asuka?”
 
All it takes is a quick look and Asuka nods her head in agreement. “That's right... so be ready for me when I get back. We're going to spend some time together...” Asuka stops and points at Shinji. “And I won't take no for an answer!”
 
 
 
Shinji mumbles something softly to himself. “I don't know whether I should be happy or afraid...”
 
“What was that, Third-Child?” Asuka says, her eyes narrowing because of what she thinks she heard Shinji just say.
 
“Nothing, Asuka. Nothing...” Shinji looks away and Asuka lets the matter drop.
 
 
A little while later, after Asuka takes a shower, her and Misato go out shopping. After they leave, Shinji decides to show Rei how to make some basic soup as a starter lesson.
 
 
 
“Rei, I'm going to show you how to make some vegetable soup...we'll need some bullion cubes and then some vegetables. Grab whatever vegetables you like and we'll throw 'em in...”
 
“Okay.”
 
The First Child opens up the refrigerator and rummages through it, emerging with some onions, tomatoes, celery, carrots, corn, and peas. “Will these do?”
 
“Yeah. Here's what you do...”
 
 
 
Shinji shows Rei how to cut and chop up the vegetables for the soup, and soon the soup is on the burner being cooked...
 
 
Rei is stirring the soup with a spoon and realizes something. “That was interesting... so that is all you have to do to make this soup?”
 
“Yep... it's pretty easy.”
 
The aromas of the soup begin to really make Rei curious about the taste. After tasting the soup a smile slowly forms on her face. “I think the soup is done... and it tastes... good.”
 
“Great.” Shinji turns off the burner. “Help me make some sandwiches, and we'll surprise Misato and Asuka with lunch when they get back...”
 
“All right.”
 
Rei assists Shinji with the sandwiches… he starts to grab bread and other necessary items out of the fridge and after some basic instructions, the pair get to work on the sandwiches, engaging in some small talk as they work...
 
 
 
Over at a department store, Misato and Asuka are having fun trying to pick out something new...
 
Misato grabs a dress off of the rack and holds it in front of Asuka. “What do you think? A new me?“
 
Asuka takes a closer look at the very revealing low-cut blue dress that Misato has picked and immediately knows what to say. “Umm... maybe. Isn't that a little bit revealing, even for you?”
 
“Oh... you're no fun! How about you? Find anything?” Is the response back by Misato with a little pouting thrown in for good measure.
 
“Well... um... follow me!” A slightly blushing Second Child says as she leads Misato to another part of the department, where she grabs a pink dress.
 
 
 
“I was thinking of getting this one... in case we have some kind of... formal dance or something...”
 
 
After taking a closer look at the dress, Misato smiles. “I think you would look fine in that dress! I'm sure Shinji would be speechless if he seen you it that...” She says that last part with a wink, causing Asuka to grin.
 
 
`Yeah... he would... and he would focus more on being with me...' Is the thought passing through Asuka's mind as she contemplates what would happen if he saw her in this dress.
 
Misato begins nudging Asuka and tries to return her to reality. “Say... Asuka... that was a pretty mild reaction you had earlier today about Rei... I was expecting you to explode...”
 
“Well... um... I... am trying to practice self-control... besides...” Asuka turns away. “Shinji and I did promise to help her out...”
 
“That's very nice of you two... she was being used. Rei seems a little different now...”
 
“She feels mortal now, since there are no more clones...”
 
Misato immediately begins looking at Asuka. “How did you know about the clone thing? Only Shinji and I seen the Chamber of Goff...”
 
Asuka turns around and makes up a quick excuse… she doesn't want to reveal the truth, at least, not until her, Rei, and Shinji agree on doing so. “Well... Shinji told me about it. Don't worry, I didn't tell anyone else...”
 
“Okay... don't tell anyone that you know, it could get us in trouble. You going to try that on or should we keep looking?” Misato says as her mood softens and returns back to normal.
 
”Yeah... I think I'll see if this dress will fit... then Shinji will be so mesmerized by my beauty that he will be all mine...” Is the reply back… along with a wicked smile now present on Asuka's face.
 
 
`That's Asuka for yah... I think she's jealous of Rei... I can tell by the last thing she said... I just hope she doesn't get too pushy about it. Shinji needs to spend time with his sister, too...'
 
Misato claps her hands together. “All right, then. I`m going to get that blue dress that I was looking at...”
 
 
The Major heads off one way to get the blue dress that she had been eying earlier while Asuka walks into the changing room and looks into the mirror.”
 
 
“I'm sure this will do the trick... I... don't want to lose Shinji's attention for a second... but Rei needs help... what's a woman like me to do?”
 
Asuka changes into the dress... Misato has in the meantime gotten the blue dress and changed as well, both women step out almost simultaneously out of the stalls in the changing room...
 
 
“Looking sharp, Asuka!”
 
Asuka turns around and looks at Misato. “Thanks! I think it fits just fine... you look nice too, but I wouldn't walk around with that during the day, you might cause some auto accidents...”
 
Anger begins building inside Misato. I oughtta..” After a short pause, an evil idea comes to mind. “Say, Asuka, how much does that dress cost? It looks really expensive... I hope you have enough money...”
 
 
Since she hadn't done that yet, Asuka looks at the price tag… Misato can see her eyebrows go up as she looks at the price tag. “So, how much is it?”
 
 
“Well... umm… since this is made out of silk and other quality materials... it's very expensive.”
 
Realizing that she's caught between a rock and a hard place here, Asuka cannot help but think `Damn it! I don't have enough money. Maybe I could borrow some from Misato…'
 
 
Asuka tries her best not to be nervous as she asks “Misato... could I...”
 
Before Asuka finishes her sentence, Misato does it for her. “Borrow some money? Well, I'll pay for the difference... but there's one condition.”
 
 
A moment later, a nod by Asuka signals to Misato that the red head is willing to what she says to get the dress in question. “You have to promise me that you will be nice to Rei and not try to compete with her too much. She's trying to open up, and I don't need you stifling her progress. Do we have a deal?”
 
“Yeah, yeah...” Asuka says unenthusiastically.
 
“I'll be holding you to your word Ms. Soryu... remember that.” Misato says sternly.
 
 
The two women change back into their regular clothes and go pay for the two dresses. They head back to the apartment, window-shopping as they head back...
 
 
Arriving in the apartment, they find a lunch on the table waiting for them. Pen-Pen is sitting in a chair at the table, waiting for the rest of the family to sit down...
 
“How was the shopping trip?” A curious Shinji asks as the women walk in.
 
“Great! I got a new dress and so did Asuka...” Is the happy response from Misato.
 
“Yeah, its really pretty! I'm saving it for a special occasion, so you'll have to wait to see my gorgeous self in it!” Asuka says as she winks at Shinji. “So... what did you two do while we were shopping?”
 
“Ikari and I made vegetable soup and cucumber sandwiches…”
 
“Yeah. I showed Rei how to make sandwiches and vegetable soup. It was fun... and we got to talk.”
 
“Well, I'm glad you two had some fun here...” Misato pauses to rub her stomach. “I'm famished. Let's eat!”
 
Asuka eyes the sandwiches and soup while Misato hastily digs in. “Looks pretty decent, Rei” She puts her arm around Shinji. “It should be, though. You did learn from the master chef here...”
 
 
Shinji blushes as a result of that comment. “T... thanks, Asuka. Let's eat... the soup is getting cold...”
 
 
 
The others join Misato in eating lunch, joining Pen-Pen who had been waiting patiently for the rest of the group to start eating before doing so himself.
 
 
 
Asuka tries to sort out her feelings for Rei as she eats. She thinks to herself `Rei does have good qualities, but I still can't help but be competitive with her. I just found someone who really cares for me, and I don't want to lose his attention, even if it's for a good cause.'
 
 
After a while, lunch is finished. Rei heads back to her apartment and begins to pack her few material possessions up into boxes for moving. A pair of shattered glasses lie on the floor, ignored by Rei...
 
 
 
Shinji and Asuka watch television together on the floor as Misato returns to the computer in search of more information... a short time later Asuka starts a conversation...
 
“Sooooo... you have fun with your sister today?” Asuka asks in a playful tone of voice.
 
“Y... yeah. It was nice to talk to her and teach her how to cook. I don't think she's done much cooking at all...”
 
“But not as fun as being with me, right?” Asuka says, pressing the matter further.
 
 
Shinji does not immediately respond… he tries to answer in a way that will not put down his new sister. “Well... um... being with you is a different kind of fun then being with Rei...”
 
Asuka knows what he means but decides to continue teasing him. “Oh, really? And here I was about to kiss you...”
 
 
As Asuka turns her head to watch the television screen, Shinji begins thinking to himself for a moment, trying to figure how to give an answer that will please Asuka but will not demean his position about Rei...
 
 
He slowly moves backward, moving to sit right behind Asuka, who is watching the television and not paying attention to his movements. Gently, he puts his arms around Asuka's stomach and pulls her back...
 
Asuka feels herself being dragged backward and wonders what's going on. “What the… what are you doing, Shinji?”
 
Shinji blushes as Asuka turns to stare at him. “I... um... I'm just want to let you know how I feel about you, Asuka. I want to have you near me all of the time... but I have to share some of time with Rei... I never had a sibling before, so this is sorta new for me…”
 
“Well... if you feel so strongly about it... I guess I'll try to let you go for a little while... since this my time with you, let's have some fun. You seem to be in a loving mood today so...”
 
Asuka stands up and then continues her thought. “Come here.”
 
 
 
Shinji pauses for a moment, then stands up. Asuka immediately puts her arms around him and holds him close...
 
“Let's try to do better than last time... show me how much you want me...” The Second Child says in a near whisper as she lovingly stares at Shinji.
 
A smile forms on Shinji's face. “All right.” He puts his arms around Asuka and brings her even closer. “This is how much I want you...”
 
 
Shinji closes his eyes and moves his lips forward to meet Asuka's lips. The two slowly kiss each other for a while before Shinji starts to be more passionate in his kissing... he wants to show Asuka that he has deep, warm feelings for her, and that there will always be a place and a time for her...
 
 
`He's getting more passionate with these kisses... he does really want me... who would known that Shinji would be this good of a kisser?' Is the thought passing through Asuka's mind as Shinji intensifies his kissing.
 
Shinji is also thinking about Asuka as things “heat up”…
 
`I hope Asuka will be more understanding towards my sister... I DO want her... and the way that she kisses... WOW...'
 
 
The couple continues to make out in the front room as Pen-Pen emerges from his fridge. He waddles forward into the front room and sees them kissing. "They're at it again" is the impression that he gets in his mind... "I need attention..."
 
Pen-Pen goes into Misato's room and tugs at her leg...
 
 
“Awww... you feeling neglected? Come here...”
 
 
Misato picks up Pen-Pen and places him on her lap. “Let me guess, those two are `busy' with each other in the other room.” The penguin nods his head affirmatively. “Well, I need a break... so let's talk...”
 
 
 
The day passes on into night... Asuka and Shinji continue to watch television together after ending a long kissing session. Misato spends some quality time with Pen-Pen... and all seems to be all right in Katsuragi apartment. Asuka has a pleasant dream that night, the first good one that she has had in a long time...
 
 
The next day will bring unspeakable despair on Asuka, Rei, and Shinji as the day they feared most has finally arrived: School is back in session!
 
 
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 11: Return to Class
 
At least one new redone chapter should be up before I go on vacation on next Thursday… if not, should be up on Monday 10/2.