Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 32: Death of a Dream ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 32: Death of a Dream
 
Thanks to Doug Dennis for prereading and helping me out with the story. As usual, thanks to Chris, Danny, and Tex for their help and ideas, you guys rock! Now, onto the story!
 
Several minutes earlier... 
 
Rei and Kensuke were sharing a rare moment of peace and quiet that was not common when living with four other teenagers who had just been forced to spend every waking minute together in a small apartment with 'one' bathroom. 
 
Sitting by one of the windows, Kensuke was smiling with a goofy expression on his face, while Rei was trying out something that she had seen Asuka do.  She was sitting sideways in his lap with her body curved into his, just resting her head on his shoulder. 
 
Rei: Ken-kun? 
 
Kensuke: Yea Rei-chan... 
 
She smiled expressively at the affectionate name. 
 
Rei: I... I like this… closeness and am not looking forward to you moving out again. 
 
Kensuke: (Sighs aloud) I know, but since things have been so quiet, I'm not sure how much longer we'll have. 
 
She nods her head and then sits up to look him in the eyes. They seemed to quiver for a quick moment.
 
Rei: In that case…
 
Smiling she moves in to kiss him… just as their lips touch a loud "SHEISSE!" is heard followed by an explosion. All of the pilots, as well as an ex-agent, rush to the windows to see a building in the distance go up in flames.

Kaji: That... that looks like the local market... 

Rei's eyes go wide as she realizes what this all entails. 
 
Rei:  Mom... 
 
Kaji mutters a curse under his breath and frantically begins trying to call Misato on her cell phone, but his calls... go unanswered.
 
Five minutes pass as the pilots just stand there unmoving by the window.  Kaji can be heard in the background muttering every curse word imaginable as he frantically dials Misato's number… but still receives no answer. Rei just looks towards the flames with tears falling from her eyes.  Kensuke is not sure what to do, so he just silently holds Rei as she weeps in silence.  Not far from her... Shinji has fallen to his knees as he watches the smoke rise.  Behind him Asuka is for once, deathly silent.
 
As they stand there, another five, then ten minutes more pass.  Down below them they can see the Section Two agents with their rifles out and not bothering to hide their presence. 
 
Toji looks at the men below and mutters softly "Damn, its begun..." 
 
Hikari turns to look toward him but a blinding flash and another explosion knock them both off their feet as a nearby apartment building goes up in flames, then slowly crumbles to the ground.
 
While, in another part of town; Maya was tired and was looking forward to a nice warm bath. Going home and relaxing was definitely the goal she had set in mind as she walked over to her car.

Maya: Thank the gods this day is over with... 
 
Getting into her car she pulled out of the parking garage and thanked the gods again that she didn't have to worry about the Major's driving as Misato had left some time ago.  Pulling out onto the road, she was about to take her usual way home when her cell phone rang. 
 
Maya: Damn it... (Answers phone) ... Yes? 
 
Voice: Turn right at the next light. 
 
Maya: What?  Why should I? 
 
She didn't like this. Whoever this was, was trying to lead her away from her home. 
 
Voice: If you want to live to see tomorrow, DO IT NOW! 
 
Maya thought the voice sounded familiar… but a moment later her eyes went wide after realizing who it could be… 
 
Maya:  Sempai!
 
Voice: Damn it TURN NOW! 
 
Maya let out a shriek and turned, even if it was too late to make the turn legally. A collection of honks filled the air, expressing the anger of some of the other drivers on the road. 
 
As she straightened out from her turn, she refocused back to her phone.
 
Maya: Sempai... is that you? 
 
The line went dead... Maya pulled over to the side of the road and looked at the phone wondering what all that was about.  However, her thoughts didn't get much farther as she saw a large truck barreling down the road that she just turned from. 
 
Maya:  That... that could've killed me... 
 
Before she could comprehend what almost happened, there was a large explosion just down the road from where the truck had gone.  Slowly it occurred to her that had she not listened to that voice, she would probably be dead by now.
 
The sudden ringing of a phone breaks the silence in the Katsuragi apartment. Toji, being the closest one to the phone, quickly runs over to it.
 
Toji: Hello?
 
Voice: This is Commander Ikari. Evacuate the premises immediately.
 
The line goes dead and Toji places the phone back down on its holder. Everyone in the apartment is staring at Toji, wondering who was just on the phone.
 
Kaji: Was that Misato?
 
Hearing her mothers' name, Rei looks up, but was disappointed by the answer.
 
Toji: (Shakes his head) Shinji, yer dad told us to get out.
 
Kaji: That makes sense… this building could be next. (Turns to look at the pilots) I'll get Pen-Pen… you guys head over to the escape hatches…
 
Pulling herself together, Rei gets up and with the others, they all head to the escape chutes. However, Asuka pauses at the door and watches as Kaji gets Pen-Pen…
 
Asuka: (Concerned) You're coming… right? I know they think you're dead… but you can't stay here, not anymore.
 
Kaji smiles and picks up Pen-Pen.
 
Kaji: Of course… staying here now wouldn't be a good idea. (Motions towards the exit) Let's go!
 
A moment later, Asuka, Kaji, and Pen-Pen are at the escape chutes.
 
Kaji: Okay guys, into the chutes! I'll go last; just to make sure nothing happens…
 
Asuka looks at Kaji for a moment before her silent question was answered by Kaji's warm look. She nodded before lifting the hatch and jumping into the chute. Shinji follows right behind her. A nervous Hikari is about to lift the other hatch when Toji whispers a few comforting words in her ear. She takes a deep breath, nods her head, and then lifts the cover. Hikari jumps in and disappears into the darkness of the chute.
 
Rei: (Forcing a smile) Into the garbage chute, Ken-kun…
 
Though he opens the hatch, he is very concerned about Rei and Misato as well.
 
Kensuke: That line sounds familiar…
 
Rei smiles and whispers the words “Star Wars” loud enough for only him to hear before giving him a gentle push… sending the love-struck otaku sliding down the chute.
 
Kaji: Your turn, Rei… I'll be going down the other hatch with Pen-Pen here. I'll see yah at the bottom… wherever that is… A small hand grasped the older man's bicep.
 
Rei: Be careful…
 
Rei turns methodically, opens the hatch and slides down into the darkness. Kaji sighs then looks down at Pen-Pen and says “Ready?” which gets a quick nod from the penguin. After seeing that, Kaji reaches for the hatch and opens it… and jumps into the chute.
 
`This is fun…' Asuka thinks to herself as the darkness continues, save for an occasional light. `I wonder how fast I'm going?' Before she can think about anything else, she feels Shinji's feet against her back…
 
Asuka: You're hitting my back lover… spread out your legs Shinji…
 
Shinji does as Asuka says and she can feel him reach his arms around her body. She blushes and then smiles.
 
Asuka: Bold move, Shinji… we're escaping for our lives… and you're feeling me up…
 
Shinji: (Realizing that his arms are around something soft and round) Oops… (Decides to tease her a little bit) Well, umm… if we're gonna die… then I wanna…
 
Asuka: (Leaning her head back slightly) Naughty boy… (Pauses and then speaks in a serious tone) Shinji… it's okay… you can hold me like this…
 
A few moments pass before Asuka feels Shinji moving his arms down around her stomach… though she's pleasantly surprised that he does so slowly, almost reluctantly... without a hint of his past nervousness. The inclination of the chute starts to increase… and so do the curves. Asuka feels Shinji's hold around her tighten and the voices of the others in the chute become louder.
 
Asuka: Hang on, Shin-chan…
 
About one minute later, the chute suddenly flattens out and the lighting begins to increase dramatically.
 
Shinji: I think we're at the end…
 
Asuka: Yeah… it looks like the chute ends just up ahead…
 
Asuka's thought is confirmed a few moments later when the pair slide out of the chute and land on a large blue mat. Both quickly stand up, straighten out their clothes, and hear a very unsettling sound… the sound of a gun being loaded.
 
A man with what looks like a semi-automatic weapon steps into the light surrounding the mat. “Step away from the mat…” Realizing the threat yet being Asuka, she yells back.
 
Asuka: Who the hell are you?
 
Head Agent: I'm with Section Two Miss Soryu… please move away from the mat.
Asuka shrugs her shoulders as both her and Shinji move away from the mat, where they are taken into custody by other Section Two agents. It isn't long before Toji and Hikari's voices are heard and the couple lands on the mat… in a very compromising position.
 
Toji: (Looking down at his hands, which are on Hikari's chest) Umm…
 
Hikari gives him a good shove, sending him airborne for a split second. She blushes for a moment and then hears the sounds of muffled laughter behind her. “Who's there?”
 
Head Agent: I'm with Section Two… please step over here, Miss Horaki, Mister Suzahara…
 
It was very disconcerting for Hikari as the quivering lips of the agent made her embarrassment that much worse.
 
Hikari and Toji get to their feet and hesitate for a moment… but hear Asuka calling out to them a few seconds later. They move away from the mat just in time, considering that Kensuke lands on the mat with a loud “OWW!” not a minute later.
 
Toji: (Chuckling) You okay? He says with his trademark smirk.
 
Kensuke: (Adjusting his glasses he sees his friend) Ha-ha, Toji… (Looks around) Where's Rei?
 
Rei tumbles out of the chute a moment later… running right into Kensuke. Both teens are sprawled across the mat… and both are surprised to hear the sounds of laughter in the nearby darkness…
 
Shinji: You had to ask, Kensuke…
 
Kensuke begins to move his hands across the mat in an effort to find his glasses, which were knocked off when Rei hit him. All he can see is a sea of corelian blue…
 
Rei: (Picking up Kensuke's glasses) I have your glasses, Ken-kun… I will put them on for you…
 
Rei gently puts Kensuke's glasses back on the shaken otaku and he smiles. Just when she was about to move closer for a kiss, the sound of a penguin squawking is heard in the distance though it was getting louder and louder. The agents in the darkness rush forward and quickly take Rei and Kensuke to the back of the room.
 
Head Agent: (Talking into his walkie-talkie) Sounds like something else is coming down… we do have all six of our people… and there's a loud squawking noise coming down the tube…
 
Voice: Move them to a safe location… and 'deal' with anything else that comes down.
 
Head Agent nodded: Yes sir.
 
Twenty agents begin to cock their weapons and prepare for whoever is coming down the chute next. The four remaining agents begin escorting the six teens out of the room… when a loud thump was followed by a SQUAWK … along with a “Damn!”
 
Kaji: (Looking at Pen-Pen after they had stopped) That certainly was some ride… wasn't it?
 
Pen-Pen nods his head as Kaji looks up and finds twenty guns pointed at his head. He begins to sweat and slowly raises his arms…
 
Kaji: Why... hello there! That was a thrilling ride. (Kaji then smiles)
 
Head Agent: (Narrowing his eyes) And who the hell are you?
 
Kaji: My name is…
 
Asuka: (Yelling from the back of the room in her “Cute” voice) It's Mister Kaji!
 
Head Agent: (Confused) Who?
 
Kaji: (Clears his throat) My name is Ryogi Kaji… and this is Misato's pet penguin, Pen-Pen.
 
Head Agent: I heard about the penguin… wait a second… (Pause) 'The' special agent Kaji? I thought you were dead…
 
Kaji: (Mumbling to himself) You aren't the only one…
 
Asuka: (Concerned) He's not with SEELE… don't shoot him!
 
Shinji: He's with us…
 
Toji: Yeah…
 
Hikari: Don't shoot!
 
Rei: (Adamantly) He is innocent… do not injure him!
 
Kensuke: Stop!
 
Head Agent: Well, it appears as though the pilots know you which is lucky for you. So… please come with me. I'll have to check your story out…
 
Kaji breathes a sigh of relief and follows the Head Agent. Several other agents surround Kaji and escort him out of the room. The six teens also breathe a sigh of relief… and hope that he'll be okay. Another agent motions to the nearby exit and the six teens and one waterfowl follow her… the remaining agents turn off the lights and then escort the teens out of the room. After several minutes of going down dimly lit hallways, Asuka voices the question that has been nagging her ever since she had slid out of the chute.
 
Asuka: Umm, excuse me… but just where the hell are we?
 
Female Agent: An isolated part of the Geofront… we're taking you six down to NERV headquarters right now. All of these hallways will be sealed off and monitored after we leave… in case anyone else decides to take a ride down those chutes.
 
Rei: What will you do with Kaji?
 
Female Agent: They're taking him down to NERV HQ as well… but using a different way out. Once his story is checked out, you can see him again…
 
Rei and the others are satisfied with that answer for now… but during all of the commotion, they had forgotten about another critical issue… which Shinji brings up.
 
Shinji: Umm… have you heard anything from Misato?
 
Female Agent: One second… (Points at a nearby elevator) Get in…
 
The teens get in the elevator and their armed escort files in right behind them. The Female Agent presses a few buttons and the doors close…
 
Female Agent: Major Katsuragi is okay… one of our special teams went in and extricated her from the rubble. She's being treated down in NERV HQ for some minor injuries…
 
Rei: (Relieved) Mother… is okay… (Rei leans on Kensuke, who in turn hugs her)
 
Shinji: Thank goodness… (He takes and Squeezes Asuka's hand)
 
Hikari: When that market exploded… I… (A few tears run down her now dusty cheeks)
 
Toji: (Comforting his fiancée) I know Hikari… I was worried too…
 
The agents guarding the pilots are touched by the teens' concern for Major Katsuragi… the rumors about her and her “kids” were definitely true…
 
A little while later, down at NERV Headquarters, a very surprised Gendo and Kozo enter the detention room where Kaji is being held. Kaji gives them a wave as they enter and both are unable to speak for several seconds… (Gendo almost as pale as Rei normally is.)
 
Kozo: (After gaining some of his senses) I thought you were dead!
 
Kaji: (Shakes his head) It takes more than a bullet to the head to keep me down.
 
Gendo has a sudden thought about the situation… and comes to a conclusion rather quickly.
 
Gendo: You came back to life… just after the failed Third Impact, correct?
 
Kaji knows the truth behind his “resurrection”… but isn't sure whether to tip his hand so to speak to Gendo. He carefully words his answer…
 
Kaji: You say it as though it's a bad thing…
 
Kozo: (Looking at one of the guards) You did a blood test, right?
 
Guard: Yes sir… the man in front of us is Ryogi Kaji… there is no doubt about that.
 
Gendo: (Considering this revelation mentally) I see…
 
Kozo: What were you doing in that apartment? I don't remember anyone else being there except for the six children, the penguin, and Major Katsuragi.
 
Gendo: Why should we not end your life again?
 
Kaji: What? And ruin all of my hard work? You do remember that SEELE had at one time given me access to their systems to spy on you. You don't want to loose that access do you?
 
Gendo: (Has that same implacable stare he always seemed to have in these types of situations.) Indeed…
 
Kaji: And you know I've been in that apartment for quite some time…
 
Kozo: I see… you were the bearded man Misato was talking about…
 
Kaji: And Commander Fuyutski... I'm shocked. Section-2 must be slipping. Surely such an elite security team should be able to see though a fake beard. Don't they still keep tabs on Katsuragi's computer? Didn't they notice anyone doing research into SEELE's activities? You may not believe what I've found… and you never know if some of that information may prove… useful to your search.
 
Kozo and Gendo are both silent and contemplate what the former spy has just said. Kozo begins thinking out the situation. `If he's working against SEELE… and he can outwit Section-2… then it'd be best to have him on our side. Major Katsuragi wouldn't have become involved with him again if he was with SEELE… and he's definitely pointed out a weak point of our current situation. We still haven't found out where SEELE is hiding…'
 
Kozo: Make me a believer in your data, and you will find the rewards are… most gratifying.
 
Kaji: Sounds like a deal to me…
 
Just after Kaji says this, a guard approaches Commander Ikari and whispers something to him.
 
Gendo: It seems Major Katsuragi has requested your presence in the infirmary. Once you are finished there, report to the main command center. You will then show us this “data” that you have collected…
 
Kaji nods his head curtly and then the two Commanders leave the room. Worried about Misato, he asks to be taken over to the infirmary right away.
 
Over in the infirmary a slightly groggy Misato sits up on the bed, with her hand on her forehead. She closes her eyes, hoping that the migraine will go away after she gets some rest.
 
Kaji: (Whispering) Wake up, my purple haired princess.
 
Misato: (Wearily) K... Kaji?
 
Kaji: We found us a room down here… it's not safe to go back to the surface. When you're ready, I'll take you there...
 
A nearby guard glares at Kaji.
 
Kaji: Maybe Shinji or Kensuke or Toji may have to escort you... the commander wishes to speak with me…
 
Misato: Kaji… just hold me for a second… please…
 
Kaji pulls Misato into a warm embrace. He gently kisses her cheek and then seeing her hold her head whispers in her ear. “I'm glad you're okay… the kids and I thought you…”
 
Misato stops him from saying anymore with a kiss on the lips. She pulls away and then speaks in a somber tone. “When I saw those apartment buildings explode… I thought... you were... all gone…”
 
Kaji says nothing but holds Misato even tighter. Tears stream down her face as she lets her emotions flow… Kaji cries a little as well… knowing that he came very close this day to losing the love of his life.
 
The two hold each other for some time and then Kaji explains his new “situation” with NERV to Misato. She smiles and comments… “Looks like all that work you did has paid off…”
 
Kaji: Yeah, all I gotta do is download it from your computer… and then wipe the hard drive, just in case someone comes into the apartment while we're gone.
 
Misato: Okay… (Pauses) That reminds me… where are the kids?
 
One of the guards steps a bit closer and addresses the couple.
 
Guard: They were taken down to the lower level of the infirmary for some tests that the Commander ordered. They should be done within an hour…
 
Misato: Well… if that's the case… maybe I should get our new apartment set up.
 
Kaji: I'll find you after I'm done downloading the info I gathered and presenting it to Commander Ikari…
 
Misato places a kiss on his cheek. “See you later… and be careful.”
 
The two split up, Kaji heads up to the Main Control Center while Misato begins checking out the available living quarters on a nearby computer. Within five minutes she finds one that fits the bill quite nicely…
 
Misato: (To herself while looking over the floor plans) Not bad… not bad at all. I didn't even know we had quarters like this down here. I'd better take a look myself before making a decision…
 
Misato motions to a nearby guard and he walks with her out of the infirmary and over to the elevator. After a short ride down, both exit and walk about a hundred yards down the hallway.
 
Misato: (Stopping in front of a large metal door) I think this is it… (Inputs a code into the keypad on the right side of the door)
 
After hearing the door unlock, Misato turns and addresses the guard. “Could you stay here while I look inside?”
 
NERV Agent: No problem. (Stands next to entrance)
 
Misato heads inside and reaches around in the dark for a light switch… and eventually finds one. She takes a few steps into the apartment and begins scanning the room. A large TV sits in the NW corner of the room… with a couch about eight feet behind it. The SW corner of the room has another couch, which is light blue in color, just like the one in front of the TV. `Looks good so far… there's a place to relax or read… and a couch for the TV. The right side of the room has a plain dining table and eight chairs in one corner and an entrance to the kitchen in the other.
 
Misato walks over to the east portal and turns on the light for the kitchen. A fully stocked but small kitchen is illuminated before her eyes. `Nice… a little small… but we'll just have to make due…' Misato thinks as she finishes checking out the room.
 
Before she can exit the kitchen, she hears voices in the distance. Her hand instinctively reaches towards her gun… but stops after she hears a familiar voice.
 
Asuka: (Calling out) Misato! Are you in here?
 
Misato: (To herself) Thank goodness… I thought it was… damn… I still keep thinking I'm out on the streets- not inside NERV. (Out loud) Yeah, I'm in the kitchen…
 
Asuka walks over to the kitchen and begins looking around. “Not bad…”
 
Misato: I think it'll do… (Notices that Asuka is holding a small red case) What's that?
 
Asuka: (Noticing where Misato is looking) Oh, that… umm… well… (Mumbles a few words in German softly)
 
Misato: (Straining to hear what Asuka just said) Did you just say that you got new glasses?
 
Asuka: (Sighs) Damn it… I forgot for a second that you knew German…
 
Misato smiles. “It'll be okay… I'm sure that you'll look great with them on.” Misato moves closer, gives Asuka a reassuring hug, and whispers… “It'll be alright… we'll be safe here… no one's gonna get us down here…”
 
Asuka: (Softly) I hope not… I was scared… and worried. I thought that you… died…
 
Misato: When I saw that building collapse… my heart just broke. I don't know what I'd have done if you guys were really gone…
 
Silence fills the room… both women know that they were very close to losing each other tonight. The tender moment is interrupted, however, by the sound of the main entrance door opening…
 
Shinji: (Talking to a guard) It's ok... you don't have to come in too... (Enters the room with a sigh) We're here…
 
Asuka runs out of the kitchen and into Shinji's arms. The other people behind him just sigh.
 
Rei: Looks like Asuka is very happy to see my brother…
 
Hikari: (Nods her head) Yeah… (Looks around the room) This looks like a nice place…
 
Misato: (Stepping into the main room) Glad you think so… because this is our new apartment!
 
Rei: (Overwhelmed by emotions) Mom!
 
With tears falling from her eyes Rei runs up to Misato and gives her a hug. Misato motions for the others to come closer. She can see the look of concern in their eyes… she can tell what they must have been feeling earlier…

Misato: (Addressing everyone) I'm okay… I'm okay. (Pauses) I thought you guys were gone, too…
 
Misato gently runs her fingers through Rei's hair… allowing for a feeling of comfort for both individuals. She whispers a few words into her daughter's ear while Rei, in turn, tightens her hug.
 
Toji: It takes more than that to take us down, right Kensuke?
 
 
Kensuke: Yeah, that's right… those guys nearly got us… but we're safe now.
 
Misato: We should be… and I know Commander Ikari will order more security. We should be fine…
 
Toji: Well, I got some good news from da doc…
 
Misato: (Curious about what he means) Oh, what's that Toji?
 
Toji: (Excited) I got my arm and leg back!
 
Misato: (Stunned and not sure of how to respond) Huh? Say that again…
 
Toji: Remember I used to have one of those artificial arms and legs… but… (Flexes his arm) It's real! I think Shinji's wish had something to do with it… thanks Shinji…
 
Shinji: (Happy for his friend) No problem… I didn't even realize… that I helped you out, too…

Hikari: Thank you Shinji… (Clutches onto Toji)
 
Asuka: (Whispers into Shinji's ear) You did good, Shin-chan…
 
Shinji: (Blushes) T-thanks…
 
Misato: (Letting go of Rei) Why don't we check out the rest of the apartment? I haven't even been in the rest of it yet…
 
Rei nods her head and reaches for one of Kensuke's hands. He blushes as she gently grips his hand into hers
 
Misato: (Teasing her daughter) You two make a cute couple…
 
Rei and Kensuke blush… and then walk forward into the next room. The click of a light switch is heard a moment later… along with the word… “Wow”
 
The others walk up behind Rei and Kensuke and are also taken by what they see.
 
Misato: Yep… just like I thought. Two bathrooms… one to the right, one to the left… and four bedrooms…
 
Asuka: Thank God! At least we don't have to fight over one bathroom…
 
Hikari: (Realizes something) Four bedrooms? That means… (Blushes)
 
Toji notices her reaction and gently touches her shoulder. “Hey… it'll be alright… I think you and I can handle it…”
 
Kensuke: (Whispers to Rei) I guess we get to spend more time together… you know… in private…
 
Rei: (Blushes) Yes… that is true…
 
Misato: (Opens all four bedroom doors for all to be able to look inside) Hmm… (Takes a quick look in all four) I think I'll be taking number one…
 
Asuka: Damn! That one looked really nice!
 
Misato: (Trying not to giggle) It has the biggest bed…
 
Asuka: (Shakes her head) That's not what I was looking at…
 
Toji: Yeah right…
 
Asuka turns around. “Are you trying to start something?”
 
Misato: Calm down now… you guys decide what bedroom you want from the other three… while I… (Stretches her arms towards the ceiling and yawns)… take a quick nap…
 
Misato walks into the master bedroom and closes the door, leaving the three couples alone to make their decision.
 
Toji: How we gonna decide who gets what room?
 
Hikari: (Tugs on Toji's sleeve) Actually… room 4 looks nice…
 
Toji looks at Hikari and makes a quick decision. “Sure… I guess we'll take that one…”
 
Hikari: I guess we'll see you guys in the morning… good night.
 
Kensuke gives Toji a “Thumbs up” while Rei, Asuka, and Shinji say goodnight. Toji nods his head and walks with Hikari into Bedroom #4 and closes the door. The two remaining couples peer into the two middle bedrooms…
 
Asuka: Well, we've got two rooms left… which one do you two want? (Motions at the two doorways) Left or Right?
 
Rei: Hmm… I think the left bedroom will do… it seems to have a lot of the color blue in it…
 
Kensuke knows that Rei likes blue… and the bedroom looks pretty nice… so he heartily agrees with her.
 
Kensuke: Yep… Bedroom #2… works for me…
 
Asuka: Great! I was hoping you'd take that one… the one on the right has some red in it… and it reminded me of my room. (Nudges Shinji) Besides, red is the color of what, Shinji?
 
Shinji blinks owlishly.
 
Shinji: Besides the color of your hair?
 
Asuka cannot help but sigh.
 
Asuka: Baka.... I meant of love!
 
Shinji: Oh... well yeah there is that.
 
Asuka: Of course! So this will be our new… (In a sultry tone of voice) Love nest…
 
Shinji's face turns as red as a tomato and he looks at Asuka… who's wondering why he's so embarrassed about that. Rei notices her brother's situation and wants to say something… but Kensuke tugs on her sleeve and motions towards the bedroom door…
 
Kensuke: (Out loud) Let's leave the 'Love Birds' alone...
 
Asuka sticks out her tongue as Kensuke gently shuffles Rei towards the door. After the door closes, Asuka just sighs.
 
Shinji: Asuka… umm…
 
Asuka: (Looking at her nervous companion) Mmm… are you okay, Shinji?
 
Shinji: (Softly to himself) I won't run away… I won't run away…
 
Asuka smiles after hearing him say that… `His behavior today… shows that he really does want me… and more than ever…'
 
Shinji notices a devilish grin on Asuka's face and before he can say a word, she grabs him and pulls him into the bedroom. The door is quickly shut and locked. Shinji's heart is beating wildly in his chest… he feels both nervous and excited. Asuka feels her emotions surge as she begins to passionately kiss Shinji.
 
Shinji returns her passionate kisses and circles his arms around his one true love. `I almost lost her today… and I do want her… just as much as she wants me…'
 
Asuka begins to moan as Shinji slowly lowers his hands down onto her behind and begins to gently squeeze it. His kisses begin moving lower and lower… and soon Asuka can feel him gently kissing her neck.
 
`God… he's so excited… and he feels so good…' Asuka thinks as she gently tilts her neck back, allowing Shinji easier access.
 
Asuka: Mmmm… Shinji…
 
Shinji: (Trying to stay bold) Asuka… I… I want you… and…
 
Asuka: No more lessons for you… I think you've passed with flying colors… (Moans aloud)
 
Shinji: (Looks into Asuka's eyes and smiles) Anything for my naughty girl…
 
Asuka blushes and turns away slightly for a moment… but then returns her gaze to Shinji's face. “As long as you're my naughty boy…” Asuka says as she places a finger on his lips. “Let's check out this new bed…”
 
Without a moment of hesitation, Shinji follows Asuka deeper into the room. The narrow hallway soon opens into a medium sized room with a queen-sized bed in the middle. Several dressers line the right wall… and on the left wall, a large mirror hangs above a small vanity.
 
Asuka: (Sitting down on the bed) Isn't this a nice room?
 
Shinji: Yeah… I like it…
 
Asuka: I guess this will be our room for a while… so… (Motions Shinji closer) We'd better break it in…
 
Shinji knows what Asuka is referring to… at least, if she means breaking in the bed. His face turns red for a moment but he gathers his resolve and sits down next to Asuka. He can feel a gentle pulling on his shirt a moment later…
 
Asuka: (Softly and with a flirty tone of voice) Shin-chan…
 
Shinji: (Voicing some of his feelings before things get out of control) Asuka… I don't know if I'm ready for that yet…
 
Asuka: (Flirtatiously) Shinji… I just wanna play around a little… I'm not trying to seduce you…
 
Shinji: Asuka… (Takes her hand) Promise me… okay? Not until we're both ready for that…
 
Asuka: (Leans over and kisses Shinji) Deal. (Looks down at the bed) Actually… I umm… don't think I'm ready for `that' either…
 
Shinji: (Stunned by this comment) You… really mean that?
 
Asuka: (Looks at Shinji) I mean I wanna… but I don't… God I'm so confused right now… we nearly died… and Misato nearly died…
 
Shinji: Asuka… (Holds her close) I promise… that I'll always be here for you… and I'll protect you… just like you would for me.
 
Asuka: (Wrapping her arms around Shinji) Yeah… you and I… together forever…
 
Shinji and Asuka hold each in silence… each one contemplating how close to death they actually were earlier. Their building could've very easily been targeted and destroyed… leaving no hope… no way of escape from the jaws of death.
 
Asuka rests her head on Shinji's shoulder for a moment and wonders how long it'll take to find those SEELE bastards. Her thoughts are interrupted, however, by a gentle tugging on the back of her shirt.
 
Shinji: (Trying not to sound or be timid) Asuka… umm… did you still wanna… you know…
 
Asuka looks up at Shinji. “Maybe just a little bit…”
 
Shinji smiles. “I get to take off your shirt first…”
 
Asuka: (Teasingly) And just why is that?
 
Shinji: Ladies first. (Chuckles to himself)
 
Asuka: (Not amused) Ha-ha, Shinji… (Raises her arms up towards the ceiling) You just wanna get another look at my wonderful figure, don't you? Do you remember my first night in the apartment? A certain someone almost kissed me in my sleep…
 
Shinji: (Remembering the incident in question quite clearly) Umm… yeah… but I stopped. I didn't wanna take advantage of you… you were having a bad dream…
 
Asuka: (Nods her head) And I'm glad you didn't… but… I know you were taken by my beautiful figure from day one… (Looks down at her chest) Especially those…
 
Shinji: (Blushes) Asuka… (Motions her closer) After umm… seeing you in your… you know…
 
Asuka: (Finishes his sentence) Lingerie?
 
Shinji: (Blushing slightly) Yeah… you looked nice… can I see you in it again?
 
Asuka: Sure Shinji… I told you that was okay… and we have our promise so… (Smiles) Let's get started…
 
While Shinji and Asuka express their feelings for each other, Rei and Kensuke are busy talking while sitting on their new bed.
 
Kensuke: Can I see it?
 
Rei slowly stands up and walks over to the mirror. She opens up the small blue case that she has been holding since she left the infirmary. Kensuke peeks over Rei's shoulder and notices the contents of the case for the first time. “So that's what they gave you…”
 
Rei: (Slowly takes the glasses out of their case) Yes… (Puts on the glasses) How do I look, Ken-kun?
 
Kensuke: Beautiful… (Places an arm around her) (Decides to joke with Rei) We're looking more alike each day…

Rei looks at Kensuke with a raised eyebrow. “I do not mind the glasses at all…”
 
Kensuke: You look great… especially in those pajamas…
 
Rei: (Blushes slightly) T-thanks… (Looks at Kensuke and smiles)
 
Kensuke slowly moves his lips towards Rei's and she closes her eyes. The warm feeling of his lips is soon on hers. The couple kisses for a few moments before Kensuke feels something warm and wet touching his cheek…
 
Kensuke: (Gently pulling back) Rei… are you okay? You're… crying…
 
Rei: Ken-kun… I…
 
Kensuke: (Gently brushes away her tears) Rei… I'm here for you.
 
Unable to keep the tight lock on her emotions any longer, the dam finally bursts and in doing so, tears begin falling from her eyes.
 
Rei: Ken-kun... I...
 
Unable to voice her concerns, Rei just cries. She sheds tears over the terrors she had felt thinking she had lost her 'mom', as well as being happily reunited with her. But those were not the only reasons she cried. Just moments ago she had been given several surprising shocks.
 
Unable to deal with the many shocks to her system, she clutches onto Kensuke and cries... and even cries over the fact that she has lost control and can't stop crying adds to the shocks she has already suffered and fuels her growing sadness.
 
Knowing that something is terribly wrong with Rei and wanting to help, Kensuke pulls her closer. But seeing how she keeps crying, he takes a few steps back towards the bed, pulling her with him. When he feels the bed against the back of his legs, he begins to sit down while pulling her off of her feet and into his lap. All the while, her sobs continue, unabated…
 
Kensuke: Rei… I know this is new for you… and I'm here to help… or listen, if yah need me to…
 
Slowly her crying comes to a stop, though neither one says a word for a while… Rei because she notices that crying has caused a lump to form in her throat… and Kensuke because he just doesn't know what else to say.
 
Rei: Ken-kun...
 
Rei is surprised at how soft and weak her voice sounds, but having never cried like this before, she decides that it must be normal.
 
Kensuke: I'm here Rei... just take your time.
 
Nodding her head, she lets out a tired sigh.
 
Rei: I... I feel... out of control.
 
Ken: Out of control?
 
Rei: (Nodding her head): Yes... I... Mom, she almost... and then later... I...
 
She lets out a frustrated groan as she had trouble even putting her thoughts into words now. Kensuke holds her close and begins rubbing her arms, hoping to convey the feeling that he is there for her.
 
Taking a deep breath, Rei concentrates on what she wants to say.
 
Rei: For most of my 'life' I have been on my own, and now that I have a brother, and a mom, I am learning so much, but I still feel... it's hard to describe.
 
Kensuke: Lost?
 
Thinking about it, she nods her head.
 
Rei: Lost is a good word. And there is something else… that the doctors mentioned to me…
 
Kensuke: (Concerned but also curious) What's that, Rei-chan?
 
Rei: I knew I was completely human when I came back from the failed Third Impact attempt, but I had no idea…
 
Kensuke: (Getting more worried every second) No idea about what?
 
Placing a hand on her heart, she then looks up at her worried boyfriend.
 
Rei: My body… is “catching up”… at least, that is what the doctors said.
 
Kensuke: (Having no idea about what she means by that) Catching up?
 
Rei: (In a serious tone of voice) Kensuke… I was created in 2004 and aged artificially to look like I am now… my body is in reality only about 12 years old…
 
Kensuke: (In shock) Twelve? You're only twelve?
 
Rei: (Nods her head) Yes… and I am the last of many clones…
 
Kensuke: I remember you mentioned that to me before… around Christmas time…
 
Kensuke looks off in the distance and then grins.
 
Kensuke: Never thought I'd be accused of 'Robbing the cradle...'
 
Rei: (Confused) Robbing the cradle? Who's child did you steal?
 
Kensuke sighs aloud and shakes his head.
 
Kensuke: Um... well you see it's like this... it's um... you see...
 
Rei: (Getting more curious by the second) Kensuke, tell me…
 
Kensuke: Well... it's a gaijin saying that was to mean... um... an older person dating a younger person.
 
Rei: Then does that mean Kaji is 'Robbing the cradle' since I believe he is older than mom?
 
Kensuke can say nothing as his mouth just refuses to work after that. Rei wonders why Kensuke is silent…
 
Rei: Are you okay, Kensuke?
 
Kensuke slowly nods his head and smiles at Rei. She takes it as a sign that he's all right and decides to explain more about her current situation to him.
 
Rei: My body… is undergoing an accelerated growth towards my `correct' age of fifteen… which I will be in about a month or so…
 
Kensuke: (Not knowing what else to say) Oh…
 
Rei: I am sure that you have noticed… changes in my body…
 
Kensuke's face turns bright red and he turns his face away from Rei for a moment. He pulls her into a hug and Rei can feel his hands move down towards her hips, where they come to a stop.
 
Kensuke: Well… umm… I noticed that you're… looking more womanly…
 
Rei: (Places a kiss on his cheek) Thank you. I've noticed you've grown some too…
 
Kensuke's face turns red once again and he mumbles the word “Rei” softly…
 
Rei: (Softly) Ken-kun… give me your hand…
 
Kensuke pulls back slightly and puts his hands on her shoulders. He looks into his love's eyes as she gently takes his right hand into hers…
 
Rei: (With a slight blush on her face) I am having… thoughts about our current situation… but I am unsure about what to do next…
 
Kensuke: (Feeling nervous and thinking about what she just said) Well, umm… did you want me to umm… touch you?
 
Rei shakes her head slowly as if unsure herself.
 
Rei: I... I feel... I believe... I want to do more...
 
Kensuke can hear the emotion, the desire in her voice. He slowly looks down and his eyes are soon staring at her chest. `She's… definitely excited… umm…'
 
Rei notices where Kensuke is staring and then looks into his eyes.
 
Rei: (Feeling her emotions rising) Ken-kun… I…
 
Kensuke: (Trying to keep his cool despite the obvious signs that Rei is excited) Rei… are you sure… that you wanna do more? I mean…
 
Rei: I… do not know…
 
Rei thinks about this dilemma silently and the struggle soon gets the better of her. She holds onto Kensuke and cries as she doesn't understand what she wants, or needs…
 
Kensuke: Rei… I'm here for you… I'll help you through this…
 
Rei stops crying and looks at her boyfriend intently.
 
Rei: Thank you… I do not know what I would do without you, Ken-kun… (Snuggles her head against his chest)
 
Kensuke whispers the words “Me either” before gently rubbing her back with his hands to comfort her. He slowly leans back on the bed, allowing her to continue to snuggle against his chest but allowing them both to relax and be comfortable. Kensuke reaches for the covers and pulls them over their bodies.
Over in Room #4, the last teen couple is having a conversation in bed before they go to sleep. Hikari brings up a topic that is quite important in her eyes…
 
Hikari: Toji… I know we talked about what happened in the bathroom but…
 
Toji: Look, I told ya before… I heard the scream and I was worried about you. You know I'm not interested in Asuka…
 
Hikari: Actually… that's not what I was going to talk about…
 
Toji: (Relieved) Oh… thank goodness. Hikari… the only person I'd ever wanna see naked would be you…
 
Hikari blushes and leans against Toji. Toji can barely hear her say “Really?”
 
Toji: Umm… yeah… you're beautiful… and I told yah that I wanna marry yah someday…
 
Hikari: (Still not totally believing what she's hearing is real) Toji… tell me more…
 
Toji: Well, umm… I'm sorry about touching ya like that earlier… that was an accident. I did wanna umm…. try that again sometime, though…
 
Hikari takes a moment to consider what he just said. `I know that I maybe overreacted earlier… but I felt embarrassed when he touched my breasts. Maybe… it'd be different if it was in private… it did feel good each time he did that…'
 
Toji looks over at the silent Hikari and notices that her face is red as a tomato. He wonders what she's thinking about… and hopes that he isn't in trouble for what he just said…
 
Toji: (Trying to break the silence) I hope dat didn't sound too perverted… umm…
 
Hikari surprises him by kissing him full on the lips… and Toji keels over on the bed with a goofy look on his face. `She… liked what I said before?'
 
Hikari: (Giggles) You're so silly, Toji…
 
Toji: (Sits up on the bed) And umm… you're so… cute when you do that.
 
Hikari: Do what?
Toji: Yah know… giggle. I think it's kinda cute.
 
Hikari: (Blushes and snuggles her head against his chest) Thank you. (Silently debates her next move for a moment) Toji… did you want to…
 
Toji: (Thinking to himself) Yes, yes… go on… tell me what you wanna do…
 
Hikari: (Softly) I wanna… you know… get to know you a little better… (Shyly) Did you want to… cuddle?
 
Toji: (A little disappointed… but still happy that she wants to be close) Sure… (Pulls the blanket over both of them) There… now we'll be warm…
 
Hikari snuggles her head against his chest and sighs softly. Toji gently runs his fingers through her hair as she begins to fall asleep.
 
Toji: (To himself) I didn't wanna push it… but hey, at least she didn't say no to dat idea… she does have nice… (Blushes)
 
Toji gently runs his fingers across the smooth material of Hikari's pink pajama top from her shoulder and down her arm.
 
Hikari: (Her eyes fluttering open) Toji…
 
Toji: (Nervously) I'm sorry if I umm… woke you up…
 
Hikari: It's ok… my mind is still racing… after all that happened today… I hope my sisters are all right…
 
Toji: Why don't we find out in da mornin'? I should go see my sister, too…
 
Hikari smiles. `I like it when he's like this… he does have a compassionate side… and it's nice when he shows this side of his personality…'
 
Toji: (Feeling her shake a little) You okay?
 
Hikari: I'll be fine… because I'm with my boyf… I mean fiancée… (Blushes)
 
Toji: Oh… yeah… (Wraps his arms around Hikari, allowing her to snuggle closer) We'll get thru dis, okay?
 
Hikari: (Softly) Thank you, Toji. Good night.
 
Toji: Good night… (Gently kisses Hikari on the forehead)
 
 
Later that night, up in the control center, Kaji is wrapping up what he hopes is the last discussion of the information that he's found. The hard drive back in the apartment has already been wiped… and now's the time to act on that info- at least, that's the point Kaji is trying to make…
 
Kaji: (Pointing at the computer screen) So you see… that's why Russia isn't a valid place to be searching now…
 
Aoba: I see… so we should just focus on North America, right?
 
Hyuga: (Looking at the information on the screen in front of him) Looks like somewhere in Canada or Alaska…
 
Kaji: That's what I was thinking… I believe they're somewhere up north…
 
Kozo: This theory appears to be valid… most of the Russian cities in the search area were destroyed during Second Impact- it would be quite easy to notice a large scale development there…
 
Gendo: I concur… the terrain and lack of infrastructure makes that area useless for what SEELE wants to do…
 
Kaji: (Yawns) I'm ready to call it a night… (Looks up at Commander Ikari) If that's okay with you, Commander Ikari….
 
Gendo: We will discuss this issue again in the morning… (Turns and walks away, Kozo follows him)
 
Kaji waits until the Commanders are out of sight before sighing aloud.
 
Kaji: Whew… I thought they'd never leave…
 
Aoba: It's about time for me to turn in too… and I gotta see how Maya's doing before I go to sleep…
 
Kaji: (Curious) Did something happen to her?
 
Aoba: Oh… you didn't hear about what happened. She nearly got ran over by that truck that went into the market and exploded…
 
Kaji: The same one that went after Misato?
 
Hyuga: We checked out the security cameras recordings for the surface… it was the same truck…
 
Aoba: (Shakes his head) It scared Maya to death… she went straight home and got some of her stuff together… and moved into one of the small apartments here…
 
Kaji: Damn… looks like SEELE's going after everyone…
 
Hyuga: You can say that again… (Shakes his head) Knowing Commander Ikari, we'll probably have to live down here too… which could be a good thing…
 
Kaji: Good point. (Yawns) I'm going to bed… see yah in the morning…
 
Hyuga: Good night.
 
Aoba: `Night.
 
To be continued in Chapter 33: The Morning After
 
 
Hope you enjoyed this chapter, once again, I'm sorry about the wait. I normally work about 50 hours a week plus attend full time college, so my time is very limited. My next project is my Pokemon chapter and then I come back to this story… if I get a chance, I will start on my Sailor Moon story as well. Enjoy the omake below and see y'all next chapter! Make sure and leave me a review, so I know you're out there (My beloved fans) Peace!
 
 
 
 
 
Omake:
 
Asuka: Great! I was hoping you'd take that one… the one on the right has some red in it… and it reminded me of my room. (Nudges Shinji) Besides, red is the color of what, Shinji?
 
Shinji blushes and leans in towards Asuka and whispers in her ear. What ever he whispered caused the German's eyes to open wide and her eyebrows to shoot upwards.
 
Rei: Brother did you just mention the color of her hair do...
 
What ever she was about to say was cut off as Shinji quickly placed his hand over his sisters' mouth.