Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 2: The Earth Renewed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The Earth Renewed
 
 
I'm combining all three parts of chapter 2 into one chapter as part of my “Emerald” Edition redo… the originals were just too short to justify separate chapters. I'm glad to see that I'm getting people's attention again with this story- it will always be updated on all 3 sites at the same time: Here, fan-fics-r-us, and Mediaminer, so to whichever one you want to and leave me a review, so I know how the rewrites are looking. Now, onto the chapter!
 
 
 
Asuka and Shinji have just awakened in Kaji's melon patch in the Geofront, having passed out just moments ago. The melon patch and the rest of the area is exactly like it was moments before Third Impact. Asuka is still in her plug suit, she is holding her hand on her head- a throbbing head pain is bothering her. Shinji is standing up, observing the area...
 
Asuka places a hand on her head and then looks at Shinji. “Shinji, my head hurts for some reason...”
 
Before Asuka can say another word, a stream of light comes from the sky and hits her. “Oww... Shinji! I'm seeing...”
 
A flood of images engulfs her mind- mainly images of Third Impact, from her own perspective and others including Shinji.
 
Shinji sees what's happening and is very concerned. “Asuka, are you okay?”
 
Asuka shakes her head. “My head...”
 
The images continue to enter her mind- she sees Shinji's entire life flash before her eyes, tears of pain start to stream down her face as she witnesses all of the terrible things that Shinji had gone through in his life, all from his perspective. Asuka places a hand on her forehead and groans aloud. `Damn… this feels likes a really bad headache!'
 
“Asuka! Asuka! What's happening to you?” Shinji cries out, seeing her in very obvious pain.
 
“I... don't... know.”
 
The images flowing into Asuka's head start to trickle off and stop, the last things that she sees are memories of Shinji being happy- memories with his friends, especially her.
 
“It stopped… but I have no idea what just happened.”
 
Shinji puts his hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay?”
 
A shaken Asuka responds a moment later. “I-I'm not sure, Shinji- my head was just flooded with images, I saw Third Impact from countless perspectives... even my own death, and then, for some reason, your whole life.”
 
“My life?” A confused Shinji asks a moment later.
 
“I truly felt what you went through... and I just want to say… sorry for being so pissed off at you before, Shinji.”
 
Shinji nods his head. “That's okay...”
 
All of the sudden, the same stream of light that hit Asuka appears again and hits Shinji. “Oww... Asuka...”
 
Asuka looks over and notices that the same thing is happening to Shinji. “Shinji? What's going on?”
 
Shinji cringes slightly as the images flood his mind. “I think I'm getting hit with images like you are…”
 
“Shinji!”
 
Asuka starts to shake him in an effort to get him out of it… but it has no effect. “Come on, snap out of it!”
 
A spaced out Shinji starts mumbling aloud. “So many images...”
 
Images of Third Impact in Shinji's mind switch to images of Asuka's life, her pain, especially her childhood and her mother. Asuka's mother's death is the one memory that really strikes a blow in Shinji's mind.
 
“Asuka... I had no idea...” Shinji says as tears start to trickle down his face.
 
Asuka is very concerned and curious about what he's seeing. “What are you seeing, Shinji?”
 
Shinji takes a deep breath as the images come to end, ending with happy memories of Asuka finding her self confidence and finding out that her mother was truly with her all along, and memories of time with Shinji.
 
“ I... think it stopped.” Shinji wipes his eyes and stops crying. “I guess I saw what you went through as well, Asuka. Where the hell did that light come from?”
 
Asuka shakes her head. “I don't know… but let's get out of here…”
 
A moment later, out of nowhere, Rei appears. “Go where?”
 
Shinji turns around and is shocked to see Rei standing there. “Huh? Where did you come from, Rei?”
 
Asuka is also scared as well at her sudden appearance. ”You just appeared out of thin air...”
 
Rei nods her head. “You asked me to come back, to be a separate person from Lilith. So here I am. The last thing I was asked to do was give each of you the full memories of the other person, so you could understand one another better. Isn't that what you both wished for in your mind just moments before I restored the planet?”
 
Shinji realizes that he did ask for that. “Y... yeah.”
 
Asuka also responds with a “Yes...”
 
Rei nods her head in acknowledgement. “Good. I also gave both of you the full scope of what happened during Third Impact, so you will never forget what mankind tried to do. I have this knowledge as well. It is up to you to make a real future for yourselves. Now, what do you want to do next? Should we go to the command center and check the status there?”
 
“Sounds good to me. Get up, Shinji!” Asuka says with a smile. “We should get going right away!”
 
“Well, I agree with Rei about going to the command center, but that might take a while...” Shinji points at debris strewn hill between them and the command center.
 
“We have to climb that, you know…”
 
“Oh, come on, Shinji, Rei. Let's go. You guys aren't afraid of a little climbing are you?” Asuka says, trying to get the other two motivated.
 
Shinji summons his courage and responds. “I'm not afraid, let's go!”
 
Asuka, Rei, and Shinji travel across the Geofront, towards NERV headquarters- at least what's left of it. As the they travel, the trio notices the immense hole above the Geofront, as well as the huge crater left by the explosion of the subsequent N2 mines.
 
 
Shinji looks up at the sky in awe as the walk. “I can't believe they dropped so many mines... SEELE must have been truly nuts.”
 
Asuka sighs aloud. “They wanted Third Impact so badly, that they went all out, I guess.”
 
Rei notices something else nearby. “Look, over there.” She points to remains of Eva Unit-02, which were ripped apart and thrown everywhere along with the burning remains of the nine EVA's that SEELE sent over.
 
Asuka nearly throws up upon seeing the condition of her Eva. Blood is everywhere, arms, legs, every part of the EVA was ripped apart. The sight of the gore brings a sickening sensation to Shinji and Rei as well.
 
A thoroughly disgusted Asuka comments on the sight before them. “That's what happened to my Eva, Shinji... and what happened to me...”
 
“That's horrible...” Shinji turns his head away from the sickening sight of Asuka's mangled EVA.
“I hope that we can live in a better place now that those maniacs and their machines are stopped. It looks like the JSSDF is gone, too… I wonder where they disappeared to?”
 
Rei flashes a subtle smile at the mention of this, she does know where all of the troops went, but she's not saying, at least at the moment. Shinji had just stood next to Asuka, and in a gesture of support, placed his hand on her shoulder. Rei did not want to interrupt the moment of bonding between the two of them...
 
Asuka looks at Shinji and shrugs her shoulders. “I don't know… but who cares where those idiots went, as long as they aren't still here trying to kill us. Let's keep walking...”
 
The trio continues to walk towards NERV headquarters, climbing over mound after mound of debris and rubble on their trek. The remains of headquarters get closer and closer, and a measure of excitement starts to come over Asuka and Shinji. Rei remains calm, as usual- but is also eager to get back to headquarters.
 
Asuka leads the way, with Shinji behind her and Rei in the back. The terrain gets less forgiving as they inch closer and closer to their final destination.
 
Meanwhile, deep under the earth, in Terminal Dogma, major events transpire that will change this new world. Consciousness returns to other people...
 
 
 
 
As Shinji, Rei, and Asuka are making their way to NERV's central command center, two figures lie unconscious in Terminal Dogma, in the depths below the command center. Inside Terminal Dogma, below the LCL stained red cross, a woman's body lies floating in the LCL pool. The woman slowly awakens, and checks herself for a bullet wound that she knows should be there, but isn't. As she floats in the pool she notices something odd and turns her head turns towards the cross and notices that Lilith is gone.
 
`Where's Lilith? And why am I still alive? I could've sworn that I saw what looked like a ghost Rei... and then I felt a strange sensation, like I was one with others... but I can't remember anything after that... weird. Anyway, I gotta get out of here...'
 
Ritsuko kicks her legs to push her body over to the platform. She takes a deep breath as she grabs onto the platforms hard, cold surface. As she gets out of the pool of LCL, she notices a man lying on the ground and is immediately frightened. An unconscious Gendo Ikari is laying on the platform's edge.
 
A scared Ritsuko starts talking to herself. “Oh my God, he's still alive! I gotta get the hell out of here! If he sees me, I'm a dead woman for sure!”
 
Ritsuko runs for her life, taking a last glance at Gendo and shaking her head in disgust. She quickly heads for the nearest elevator but then realizes that it would be a bad idea to be seen by anybody- questions would be asked and there would be a search for her. A nearby service hatch provides a entryway to the inner workings of the complex. She starts the long, laborious climb up a ladder towards the surface of the Geofront. She reasons to herself... 'If I can make it out of here without being seen, then it'll be no problem to get back into what's left of Tokyo-3 and disappear...'
 
After exiting Terminal Dogma, she makes her way out, using whatever passages she can to keep out of sight. She travels up various service crawlways and vents, and finally arrives at the surface, over an hour later and quickly makes herself "scarce"...
 
About two minutes after Ristuko's swift exit, a very confused Gendo Ikari awakens and is surprised by what he observes.
 
`Huh? What happened? I could have sworn I got chewed up.'
 
Gendo looks at the red cross and notices that nothing is there. `Where the hell is Lilith? Where's Rei?' He then looks at his hand and notices that Adam is still merged with his hand.
 
`Well, at least you're still there. What's going here? I can't remember anything. Did Third Impact happen?'
 
A semi-panicked Gendo pauses for a moment to try and figure out what to do next…
 
`I better get up to the command center and see what's going on.' A thought suddenly occurs to him. `What about her?' After peering down at the LCL below the cross, Gendo realizes something.
 
`No body...? Her body must have sunk into the fluid... I'll look for it later. Can't have any "loose ends"...'
 
Gendo leaves Terminal Dogma and takes an express elevator back up to the Central Command Center. As he travels up the elevator, a thought crosses his mind.
 
`Why are the elevators at full power? It looks like the JSSDF was never here. There is no damage anywhere. This is quite odd. Maybe Fuyutsuki knows what happened...'
 
 
The elevator continues up the shaft towards the command center, where the technicians and Commander Fuyutsuki are regaining consciousness. Confusion is ever present their as the newly awakened assess the current situation...
 
 
 
 
Commander Fuyutsuki stands up and looks around cautiously, and is shocked to see only NERV personnel in sight, no JSSDF troops are anywhere in sight. Aoba Shigeru and Hyuga Makoto wake up as well, Maya Ibuki is the last one to awaken just moments later.
 
Fuyutsuki can't believe his eyes. “What happened? I could've sworn we were being fired at; the Third Impact was about to happen... and then... nothing. Can any of you remember anything?”
 
Maya shakes her head. “Not a thing, sir. My mind feels so clouded.”
 
Hyuga also comments on their surroundings. “Where did all of the troops go?” He peers over the edge of the platform and realizes that there's no one down there…
 
“How could all of those troops just disappear? This is really confusing...” Aoba says as he touches his forehead.
 
“I'm just as confused as you are. Where's Commander Ikari?” Fuyutsuki says, wondering about the Commander's whereabouts.
 
 
Aoba gets right on the task of finding Commander Ikari and begins to punch in commands into the computer in front of him. “Searching now, sir.”
 
A moment later a beeping is heard as the locator program has located Gendo Ikari. “He's on his way up here, sir. Should be here in a minute or so.”
 
Fuyutsuki has Hyuga proceed to the next phase of checking the base. “Check the status of all personnel in the building. Find out if there are any non-NERV personnel anywhere in the area.”
 
“Roger that.”
 
Hygua immediately begins punching commands into the computer and after a few moments, a beep is heard.
 
“I'm glad to report that there's no JSSDF personnel in or out of NERV headquarters, sir. It's as if they were never here, excepting the damage that's all around us.”
 
Fuyutsuki breathes a sigh of relief. “Find out if they are anywhere in the Tokyo-3 region.”
 
Commander Fuyutsuki notices a puzzled look on Maya's face and asks her “What's wrong, Lt. Ibuki?”
 
Maya shakes her head in astonishment. “Uhh... I don't know how this is possible- I did a check to see how many people we lost in the assault... no one died. I am reading life signs from of all of our personnel. Only one is still unconscious, sir- Major Katsuragi.”
 
“Dispatch a medical team to her location immediately.” Fuyutsuki says with a sense of urgency.
 
Commander Ikari walks into the command center a moment later, acting as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened. He looks around for a moment and then looks at Commander Fuyutsuki.
 
“Status, Commander Fuyutsuki.”
 
“All personnel are... alive. I don't know how that is possible, and the troops are nowhere to be found. We have extensive damage to headquarters, but computers and the Magi are still online. It seems like everyone has memory loss...”
 
“ I have encountered that as well. No one here remembers anything…” He leans in and lowers his voice to a near whisper. “I still have Adam, but Lilith is gone.”
 
A puzzled Fuyutsuki looks at Gendo. “How could that be? This gets more confusing every second. We have sent a medical team to get Major Katsuragi; otherwise, all personnel are at their posts awaiting orders.”
 
“Check the Magi system. See if they have any information about what happened.” Gendo turns his head and glances over at Maya. “Lieutenant. Ibuki, can you locate EVA unit 01?”
 
 
Maya inputs a search command into the computer. “Looking now, sir.” A beep a moment later gives her an answer. “It looks like Unit 01 is lying in the center of the Geofront, right in the center of the blast area. I am reading no power emanations or any other signs of power in it. It appears to be intact, sir. I am also reading nine other major energy readings around Unit 1. I can't say what they are, sir- too much damage to the sensor system.”
 
“Energy readings? Send out a reconnaissance team to see what's going on over there. Recover Unit 1. Send out a team to bring back the remnants of Unit 02, as well.” Gendo says as he thinks about the situation. `This is very puzzling indeed…'
 
Maya sends out the teams and cannot help but think about Unit 02 and Asuka. `Unit 01 is ok, but Unit 02 is still shredded to bits... poor Asuka.'
 
Aoba brings another important development to the Commanders' attention a moment later. “Sir, I can't locate any of the pilots. Our sensors in the Geofront have been severely damaged. I can't get life readings on any of them.”
 
“Repair the circuits and locate the pilots immediately.” Gendo says coldly. “Fuyutsuki, do the Magi have any information on what happened?”
 
Fuyutsuki shakes his head. “It appears that the last readings indicated an Anti-AT field being generated somewhere and then... nothing. No record of what happened to the JSSDF or us. I don't know how that could happen…” He pauses to punch a few more commands into the computer. “There's no evidence of tampering, and no contact from the other NERV computers that were trying to take over.”
 
“Hmm…” Gendo looks up for a moment and then remembers some more of the events that happened just prior to his “blackout”. “What's the status of the other MAGI systems?”
 
Fuyutsuki glances over at the information displayed on the computer in front of him. “It appears that they are inactive. SEELE would never have stopped trying to infiltrate our systems... something's not right here. What happened to the committee?”
 
Gendo shakes his head. “I don't know. Let's hope for our sake that it was something...” Gendo grins. “Something bad… we`re in no shape to repulse another attack.”
 
Aoba walks over to the two Commanders. “Sorry to interrupt, but medical teams have recovered Major Katsuragi and have brought her to the infirmary. She's going to fine, sir.”
 
“Good. Fix our external sensors immediately. I need to know what's out there.” Gendo says with a sense of urgency.
 
 
Orders continue to fly across the command center as Gendo and Kozo try to make sense of what happened and to restore the computer system to full power. In the lower depths of NERV headquarters, in an abandoned tunnel, a crumpled body lies against a wall. The body was thrown there some days ago, discarded to prevent anyone from seeing this man again. There is no smell of decay in the air, however. In fact, it starts to stir... a confused figure wakes up, looks around, and tries to make sense of it all...
 
To be continued in Chapter 3: Recovery
 
Hope you like this newly redone chapter, another new one will be coming soon along with some more rewritten ones.