Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A Reunion of Friends ❯ A Friend's Sacrifice ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc, are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
This story takes place 5 years after Third Impact with flashbacks as well.
Also, I have yet to see if I will continue this with more chapters.
The types of reviews will determine the continuation of this story as long
as they are constructive. Flamers need not apply!
Some characters are a bit OOC as they have matured and grown since Third Impact.
I do need Pre-readers if I continue as well. Hope you enjoy!
• Yes It's after Christmas, but I'm posting it none the less.
**** Special Thanks go to Andre Laval for Pre-reading this story! ****

A Reunion of Friends

Chapter #4: A Friend's Sacrifice

As the train pulled up to the Tokyo-3 train station, Shinji and Rei were looking for their family and friends.
When they spotted each other a dozen hands waved back to the two on the train.
They both noticed two things, first being that Asuka was missing.
Then they spotted Touji on the opposite side of the wildly waving group from Hikari.
They also noticed that right next to Hikari was Kensuke holding a young toddler, who was reaching for ...Hikari!

As the couple made their way towards the entrance, Shinji whispered;
"Remember Hon, don't be rude, especially to Asuka and Touji. I'll be here for you, I'll...."
"I know my love. You're just nervous. Here, hold Yui and we'll be fine."
She kissed him full on the lips. For a few moments, nothing mattered to him,
except the baby in his arms and the woman he was kissing right there and then. All his nervousness left in a heartbeat. After
helping him down the train's stairs, both Shinji and Rei were, for lack of a better term, attacked with hugs, kisses and hearty
handshakes as Misato, Kaji, Hikari, Kensuke, Ritsuko, Maya Ibuki and Makoto were there to greet them.

After the greetings were over with, all headed for their respective cars.
To Shinji's and Rei's surprise Misato headed for a Nissan Mini-van.
"What happen to your Little Blue Renault coupe?" asked Shinji.
Misato smiled at Kaji, then turned her head back to the couple seated now in back of the van.
"I'm pregnant!" (That would explain their change to a van)
Shinji and Rei both launched themselves at Misato hugging and congratulating her.
Kaji got the hug attack next, and all they talked about was the changes a baby can make.
"Mother, I can say for these last 2 months I have never been happier than to have my Shinji and little Yui in my arms.
I hope you and Kaji will have the same experiences as I and Shinji have."
Rei now had some emotion in her voice as she spoke. Not only because she had changed from what she was but because she was
speaking to those she loved. Misato was her mother and Rei now knew that the love of a mother for her child, and now Misato
was going to have another child. This time from the beginning of it's life. Both of them regretted that they couldn't have those yearsback. But now they both can raise their children together, not just as a mother and daughter, but as friends.

Then Shinji asked Misato and Kaji about Asuka's absence and what was going on with Touji and Hikari.
They looked at each other and Kaji spoke as he drove.
"Well, Asuka wanted to greet the two of you at our apartment. She wanted to be here, but insisted on making your welcoming
dinner. Plus, she wanted to talk to you alone after our little get together and she needed some time to... prepare."

They knew Asuka had many problems in her life, more so since the Third Impact.
But both Shinji and Rei had a feeling why she wanted to talk, so they nodded, and Misato then continued the conversation.
"Well, about the time you two left, Hikari and Touji broke up. About 2 months after that Kensuke and her started dating."
Shinji felt bad about the turn of events but knew that Kensuke would have needed a stabilizing force in Hikari.
"But Touji seemed very happy at the station, wouldn't he be a little sad at seeing them together?" asked Shinji.
"Well, you see Touji is married now, so he now considers them his friends. Remember,
Hikari and him broke up before Kensuke started dating her," replied Kaji from the driver's seat.
"Ok, I'd like to find out who Touji married. Man it has to be someone with a lot of patience.
That's why I thought Hikari would have made a perfect wife for him," stated Shinji.
"Aahh, well, you can ask him when we get there, Ok Shinji?" said Misato
"All right mom-in-law," he said with a smile, "or should I say Grandma!" Kaji, Shinji and Rei smiled and laughed at the teasing
of Misato's status. Misato pouted, "I'm too young to be a Grandma." She shook her head as a wail was heard in the back of the
van. "Yui is hungry (A foul smell then joined the baby's crying) and messy," stated Rei.

As the young couple maneuvered their child to clean and change it's diaper in the van's middle seat,
Kaji was pulling up to his apartment complex. "We're here!" he said.
As the rest of their friends parked nearby and the men got the luggage from the back of the van,
the women surrounded Rei and the baby as they made their way towards the elevators of the apartment building.
It was the same apartment that 5 years ago Shinji, Misato and Asuka shared.
The group, which was split into 2 took separate elevators, made their way to the front door
as Misato swiped her key card, then opened the door.
"We're here!" Misato yelled out and a second later a red headed blur came into view.
Asuka was in a lovely blue evening dress that came to her knees, while covered with an apron.
"Shinji, Rei," was all she said as she went over to hug her former co-pilots. She was crying and hugging the two fiercely as they
patted her back and they all made their way to the living room.
"I made a mixed dinner for you. Some western, some traditional Japanese," she was telling them before she spotted Yui in
Misato's arms. "Is that Yui? Can I hold her?" she asked excitedly.
"Of course her godmother can hold her." replied Rei as Asuka took hold of the baby. "I'd be very honored to be her godmother
Rei, thanks!" said Asuka. Then everyone noticed two things, the Apron coming off Asuka, showing her bulging stomach and that
Touji was standing beside her with an arm on her shoulder, making faces at little Yui.

"Can someone fill us in here?" asked a now stunned Shinji
"Well, remember I said that Touji is now married," stated Misato. Both Rei and Shinji nodded yes.
"Meet Mrs. Suzahara!" She pointed to Asuka. Shinji face faulted, Rei had a very puzzled look as she stared at the couple playing
with her daughter. After getting up, Shinji pulled Kaji close and whispered, "Did they have to?" pointing to Asuka's stomach.
"No, that was after they got hitched!" answered Kaji.
"Wow, and I thought they'd have a problem because we had chosen Touji as Yui's godfather," said Shinji.
"Well, now you won't have that problem, will you my son-in-law!" replied Kaji, messing Shinji's hair with his hand.

At the news of being godparents to Yui, both Asuka and Touji had smiles and hugs for the parents.
"God, they have changed." thought Shinji, until they gathered for dinner where Touji said, "Asuka, when's the grub ready?"
"It's ready when it's ready Leipshin, so keep your stomach at bay, ok!" she raised the volume as she spoke.
"Well, you better have it soon or I'll have to come in there and help myself!" said a now irritated Touji.
"Step in this kitchen, and the sausage won't be the only weenier cut tonight!"
"Hey, now you leave my favorite dish out of this woman!"
As the shouting escalated Rei asked her mother, "Do they do this all the time?"
"Why do you think I helped them get a house away from this area?" answered Misato.
"Oh," was Rei's simple answer.

As the dinner progressed and everyone enjoyed the food and the conversation.
Rei and Shinji learned that Hikari and Kensuke did get married a month into their dating as much
as for love as for having a child. The toddler was their child, named Hikado.
The 2 year old was on the floor playing near his parents as all continued to talk.
They also learned that Touji had been with Asuka since he broke up with Hikari.
"But that means you two were together when you helped us with Yui," said Rei.
"And you knew about what Asuka did and you were ok with it?" Shinji asked Touji.
"As long as it was ok with Asuka, it's ok with me. Plus I would have been honored to help you guys,
so I'm plenty proud of her too!"
Asuka, unusually quiet was blushing and slapped the back of Touji's head lightly.
"Dumkoph, your embarrassing me in front of everyone!"
"Don't be mad at him Asuka, husbands do say things like that, you just have to forgive them sometimes." Hikari reminded.
"Well, just this once." Then she whispered to Touji, "we'll talk at home, Hun."
Touji shuddered!
To deflect any more problems Shinji asked; "So, when are you due Asuka?"
"In 2 months."
"You look good for being a 7 months pregnant demon." said Kensuke.
"You don't want to talk like that while I have a knife in my hands stooge," replied Asuka.
"Point taken, I'll just shut up now." finished Kensuke who now had a bruised rib from an elbow from Hikari.

As the night ran on, Asuka finally grabbed Shinji and headed for the balcony.
"Good, I finally got you alone Shinji," said Asuka. "Well what did you want to talk about Asuka?" asked Shinji.
"I wanted to know how you and Rei are really doing in Kyoto."
"You know I have never been happier, especially since Yui was born." replied Shinji.
"I just wanted to be sure your both ok, that's all." said Asuka.
"OK big sister!" (Asuka smiled at him) "Now can you tell me why you didn't tell me about you and Touji last year?"
"Well I thought that you two had enough on your mind without a shock from left field to distract you." replied Asuka.
"OK, I agree it would have been distracting, but still, you and Touji?
How did you two get together?" asked a confused Shinji.
Asuka laughed then answered her friend's questions.
"Well at first we did fight all the time. But I remembered what Hikari said that attracted her to Touji.
That he was a kind and gentle soul in a gruff exterior. Since I was still recovering from the experiences."
(Third Impact) "I gravitated to his kindness towards his sister, and then to me."
"What, he was kind to you? How did he know you were hurting?" asked Shinji.
"Hikari went and told him. My best friend gets her ex-love to spend some time with old depressed and exasperating me.
You know I was still a pain in the ass then as before, yet he saw through that and got me to admit my problems."
"So, he became your confidant then?" Shinji stated.
"Yeah, and then some!" replied Asuka.
"So how did you...well..." stuttered Shinji.
"Well we got drunk one day and found ourselves together in bed."
"And... you didn't kill him?" asked Shinji
"No... I just got up dragged my butt out to the kitchen, and made us breakfast.
Then he acted like nothing was wrong. That's when I knew I loved him." She shighed happily.

"He treated all this out of character behavior of mine as nothing unusual and ate the food I made him.
He then kissed me after we finished. Like an old loving couple who have been married for years.
That day we got married by a justice of the peace and that was that."
"So after several years friendship, fighting and talking all through it, you just got drunk, slept with each other,
and then got married that same day? Did I get that right?" asked an exasperated Shinji.
"Yup, you got it!"
Shinji then smirked. "What's the face for Shinji?" replied Asuka.
"I'll answer that in a minute, but first, are you happy... both of you?" asked a concerned Shinji.
"I love him with all my heart." Shinji smirked again. "So what's my Shinji worried about?"
"I just wanted to make sure that my sister and my best friend are happy."
He then took the former pilot of EVA Unit-02 in a big hug. "I love you Asuka, and I'm happy for you and Touji."
She returned the hug. "Well then you'd better be since you and Rei are going to be my kid's godparents. And you better say yes
Baka!" stated Asuka "Yes ma'am. Rei and I would be honored."
As they broke their hug and then headed into the apartment to join the party.

As Asuka informed the rest of her friends that Rei and Shinji were going to be her babies godparents,
all approved and Rei was blushing slightly at the attention given her. Shinji just had a big grin on his face.
"Ok, now that's settled why don't we all hit the hay, cause we need to go shopping for gifts tomorrow," reminded Misato.
"Mom, can you watch Yui in the morning, Shinji and I have to go to visit his mother's grave." asked Rei.
"That's no problem honey, you just get yourselves to bed and I'll keep an eye on my little peanut here," answered Misato.
"Do you need a ride?" asked Kaji
"No, we'll take the maglev and walk from there, plus Rei wants to see her old apartment."
"Shinji, it's gone. Her apartment building is gone. It's a memorial park now." said Kaji
Rei sighed while Shinji looked down for a moment. "That's ok we'll just see how it looks now." said Shinji.
He then said his goodnights and escorted Rei and Yui to his old bedroom.
The others sat and talked into the night.

As he and Rei got comfortable in the now queen sized bed as she fed the baby, Shinji thought of what tomorrow could bring.
Will the memories return? He didn't know but now he knew he could sleep with no help from Saké or anything else.

In the next Chapter Shinji and Rei go back in time as they visit his mother's grave. While the rest get the apartment ready for
their christmas get together. Chapter #5: Rememberance and Preparation

P.S.- Thanks Andre Laval for pre-reading this chapter!