Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A Reunion of Friends ❯ Rememberance and Preparation ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc, are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
This story takes place 5 years after Third Impact with flashbacks as well.
Also, I have yet to see if I will continue this with more chapters.
The types of reviews will determine the continuation of this story as long
as they are constructive. Flamers need not apply!
Some characters are a bit OOC as they have matured and grown since Third Impact.
I do need Pre-readers if I continue as well. Hope you enjoy!
• Yes It's after Christmas, but I'm posting it none the less.
**** Special Thanks go to Andre Laval for Pre-reading this story! ****

A Reunion of Friends

In this chapter, Shinji and Rei go back in time as they visit his mother's grave.
While the rest get the apartment ready for their christmas get together.
Chapter #5: Rememberance and Preparation

It was a normal ride on the Maglev train. Shinji was looking out to the now snow covered city of Tokyo-3.
Both held hands as they quietly sat next to each other sharing some warmth with each other as
the train disembarked people at each stop letting in the cold outside.
Since the Third impact the world Eco-system was slowly recovering.
In many coastal areas, drowned cities were reemerging from fast receding oceans and seas.
Also, the climate was reverting to a pre-second impact mode. Which meant that Tokyo-3,
which was now above both the newly dry Tokyo-1 and Tokyo-2,
became colder and now has become a winter resort area.
Many came here for their christmas vacations and so there were more people than normal on the train.
As they got closer to their stop, Rei hesitantly grabbed Shinji's arm and rested her head on it.
"Do you think anything will happen today Shinji-chan?" asked a newly nervous Rei.
"No, why should there be?" He then saw the concern in Rei's face. "Rei, do you ...sense anything I need to know about?"
asked a now serious Shinji. "I just ...can't shake this feeling of being observed, .... or followed," replied Rei.
"Ok, I'll call Misato, and have her security check us out and see if we're being followed.
Will that calm you, honey?"
"That will make me ... feel better my love," Rei then relaxed her hold on Shinji's arm as he called Misato.

They waited in front of the maglev train station for the car Misato had sent to them.
As he hugged a now shivering Rei, Shinji scanned the area around them.
He trusted his wife's feelings when it came to these types of feelings.
More often than not, she was right, so he continued to look around them until the car they were waiting for arrived.
It took a mere ten minutes as the car made it's way to the memorial cemetery where the markers for those who died after the
Second Impact from the Tokyo area lay. The UN security driver was keeping an eye on the couple as they made their way
towards the area that had Yui Ikari's marker. After the Third Impact, Shinji added another marker for his father.
He did that for two reasons, first even though he did not get along with his father, he knew of his goal of reviving his mother.
But, the ways and means he used kept Shinji from putting the Ikari name on Gendo's marker. It had Rokubungi instead.
The second, was Rei. Even though she now knew why she was created, and Gendo probably had no real affection for her other
than being his tool or puppet, she still respected him as the person who brought her up. Shinji accepted this and so that was the
other reason they both came. Not just to visit Shinji's mother's grave, but his father's as well.

As both knelt down with their own personal thoughts and prayers for the dead, a third person showed up.
Asuka Langely Suzahara was walking up awkwardly towards her former comrades.
She knew from their previous conversations that they would be here. Plus calling Misato didn't hurt.
So, as she finally got to the kneeling couple they stood up with puzzled looks on their faces at their friend's appearing there.
"Asuka, why are you here?"
"Well I came to pay my repects to your mom, ... though not to him." She pointed to Gendo's marker.
"I ..understand you feelings, Asuka," was all Rei said to her friend.
"Thanks Rei, .. for saying that. But, I'm also here to see you two."
Both Ikairi's then turned to the former second child.
"Look, I am happy for both of you and I promise Touji and I will come visit, but don't think I'm leaving this place."
She swept her hands over their view of Tokyo-3.
"We came back, Asuka to thank you for what you did for us, not just to see everybody," said Shinji.
"Yes, I am ... very grateful for your donation of ... your ova's . .. . without them we would not have Yui now," stated a
grateful Rei.

"Well, then are you here to have Dr. Akagi, inseminate another of my frozen eggs for you Rei?" she asked hesitantly.
"Yes, and no," Shinji said. "Huh? Well which is it little brother?" replied Asuka.
"We are getting checked for preparations for another child, but Yui needs to be weaned before Rei gets inseminated."
"Ok, that answers that! So, where are you going to go shopping guys?"
That old Asuka confidence helped get the Ikari's mood to change for the better.
"Let's get our driver to take us to the Tanaka mall. I saw some nice dresses, as well as some nice men's shirts. Are you two
interested?"
Asuka awaited their answer.
"As long as there are some baby clothing stores, I think we all should get most of our shopping done there,"
replied a now excited Shinji.
As the three former Evangelion pilots made their way towards their waiting car, the same mysterious figure that had followed
Shinji and Rei on the train was there dressed in dark clothing and a heavy black overcoat observing their departure.
After a few minutes, the figure made it's way to Yui Ikari's marker.
A few minutes later the mysterious person made it's way out of the cemetary.

______________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

The shopping went well for the trio of former children, now young adults.
Shinji of course was carrying most if not all of the presents. He staggared to the waiting car
under the load of presents in and around his hands.
The rest of the week was spent shopping and at different homes of the resident friends having communal dinners.
Finally they all had a christmas eve party for all at the Misato apartment. All exchanged presents and drank egg nog and some
things much stronger. Except for Misato, Rei and Asuka, the rest enjoyed an excessive amount of drink.
So it came to pass that on Christmas day, there were people sleeping on almost any place that was available.
Finally the crying of the children woke the sober, and the mostly hungover adults.
"God now I know how I looked like back then," was all Misato said as she Rei, and Asuka observed the other waking up.
"Glad I'm not the one hurting now. Hey, Rei is Shinji blitz too, or is he still snoozing?"
"I have left him in our bed, he was still asleep. Shouldn't we start some breakfast, Asuka?" asked Rei
"Yeah, I'd better get some sobering up drinks too. They'll need it," said Asuka
"I'll get Ritsu's formula, it should get everyone back to normal by lunchtime. Rei, start breakfast, Asuka you and me will get
the others up," was Misato, now in Military mode, organizing her friends to get their guest up and sober enough to gather for a
traditional Christmas day feast.
With a sober Misato, it quickly became apparent that come hell or highwater, everybody was going to be ready,
and sober to have that afternoon meal, whether they liked it or not.
As her management and organizational skills kicked in Misato had that fine feast that day and
all went home sober and happy with the get together.

As the friends had already agreed, they all would stay together until New Years.
So, all kept getting together as the week progressed.
They met at each other's homes again as New Years celebrations loomed.
But, what brought everything to a halt was a sharp sound as a shot was fired at the Katsuragi apartment.
Those in the home that day included Misato, Kaji, Rei, Shinji and Yui.
The shot went through the glass balcony door shattering it spraying broken glass in the living room area.
Misato, Kaji, and Shinji were there. Rei was sleeping with Yui in Shinji's old room.
It took Section 2 five minutes to find the assassin. He was dead, shot in the back of the head.
It seems he was targeted and killed just after he had tried to kill the people in the apartment.
There was a connection between the assassin and a zealot religious group who had threatened
the former Eva pilots lives by e-mail and letter over four months before.
While the authorities gathered up the rest of the group, many of those affected were trying to understand
why they had been targeted, and who was their benefactor. Who had shot the assassin dead,
thereby eliminating the threat against them.

Due to the assassination attempt, it was a somber and quiet New Years celebration
held at the old NERV headquarters for security reasons.
Though eventually all did enjoy themselves, the undercurrent of fear and anxiety existed for all.
Misato, then made a momentous decision. She asked Rei and Shinji to take Asuka and Touji
in at least until the security threat was over, and their child was born.
All four disagreed for various reasons, but even though they were adults now, Misato still had some authority over them.
"It's simple, they will stay with you and a security detail at Kyoto-2, while this blows over, and then you two can come back."
Misato had spoken and even though they protested she made the point that it wouldn't do them any good
if Asuka was shot and their baby died. Though she hated being blunt to them, who she considered her kids, she wanted to
express the severity of the situation. Finally over the next few hours, they were finally convinced to move and arrangements
were made for the apartment next to Shinji and Rei to be vacated and opened to Touji and Asuka. A door was added between
the apartments for security reasons, and five days into the new year the four former Eva pilots
made their way back by train to a few hectic months in Kyoto-2.
As the four people waved goodbye to Misato, Kaji, Kensuke, and Hikari, all had varying ideas as to
what the next few months would bring. While they later slept in adjacent cabins, the lone figure
appeared again as it passed by the cabins now guarded by Section 2 agents.
The figure was satisfied with the arrangments thus far,
but the danger to the Children was great.
He as going to keep an eye on them as well, as he faded into the darkness.

Who is this mysterious benefactor, and how are these four friends going to handle living in close quarters
with a baby there, one coming, Asuka's mood swings, and a new danger that threatens them all.
be there for; Chapter #6: Living Arrangments

Author's notes:
Hi, all I hope this is entertaining you. I will say that the next chapter will have much more dialogue and mainly focused on the
four children. If there is anything you want to say then please reivew.
Thanks for you reading my stories, dennisud

P.S.- Thanks to Andre Laval for pre-reading this!