Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Fifth Refrain ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain

Author's Pre-Rant -

The previous chapters have set the scene. Hopefully things will pick up a little now. Not too much though. Just enough to keep the readers interested. You are interested, aren't you? Hello? Anybody there? (Author envisages numerous readers all going to the other stories. You know the ones. The ones that actually compel the reader to continue reading.)

All That I Am

Fifth Refrain - Change of Style

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu Residence

"Morning Shinji, Morning Asuka." The half asleep, half naked form of Misato Katsuragi stumbled across the kitchen floor to her beer fridge to indulge in her first early morning pick-me-up. "WAICHAA! That's the stuff." Closing her eyes, Misato inhaled the fresh aroma of the now empty can. "Nothing says 'Good Morning World' like Yebisu." Sighing wistfully now that one of her daily requirements was met, Misato smiled in satisfaction. "What's for breakfast Shinji-kun?" Not hearing her Shinji's usual response to her state of undress or her continued early morning drinking, Misato opened her eyes. She suddenly realised something was very wrong with the picture in front of her. "Asuka, what did you do with Shinji-kun?" Unable to conceal the panic in her voice, Misato quickly looked around the kitchen for telltale signs of the boy's gruesome demise.

The knuckles of the young girl's hands cracked as she clenched her hands into tight fists. "What I Did!" Asuka enunciated every syllable. "You're the one that decided to leave the little pervert with the doll." Having had little to no sleep all night, Asuka's frustration was at an all time high. "What's for breakfast? And before you say it, leftovers are not an option." Her temper continued to simmer, images of her beloved Kaji flirting with other women flashing annoyingly in the back of her mind interspersed with the occasional image of the Third Children enjoying his time with the First Children.

Pen-Pen managed a feeble wark in agreement as he continued to heave into a basin. The unopened beer can beside him a sure sign that he was very, very ill indeed.

Misato's expression darkened slightly as she thought, not for the first time, just what had convinced her to offer to take the unruly red head in. It all disappeared quickly as she was struck by a bolt of inspiration. Striding over to the cupboards, she pulled out three Styrofoam containers. "Tada. The breakfast of champions." Pleased with her decision she decided to celebrate with another can of amber life.

"You can't be serious." Asuka's growl was complemented by the grating of her teeth, glaring at the lavender haired woman. "I am not eating cup ramen for breakfast."

Misato's eyes narrowed answering the girl's glare with her own. "And what do you suggest Asuka?"

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

The hotel manager blinked nervously at the two women beside him. "This is highly irregular. I don't thi-"

Asuka waved the man's pathetic concerns away with her hand. "Shut up and open the door. Who knows what sort of horrible things Baka Shinji is committing." Her eyebrow twitched slightly, her imagination conjuring all sorts of depraved, unspeakable acts that only further spurred her on. Kaji's betrayal was distressing for the fourteen year old girl to accept. For some inexplicable reason the mere thought of the Third Children and First Children being romantically or even physically involved was only exacerbating the situation. Unwilling and unable to confront the man that for all intents and purposes held her heart, she decided that she would convey her dissatisfaction to the other elements of emotional disturbance.

"Asuka, is this really necessary?" Misato checked her watch, noting the time. "You've got school soon and I've got to get to work." <And track that bastard Kaji down. He's got some explaining to do.>

Barging into the room now that it was unlocked, Asuka flicked her hair back as she stormed purposely onwards. "Of course it is. Your precious Shinji is probably doing all sorts of things with his doll. The sick little hentai."

Sighing in defeat, Misato thanked the shaken manager and followed the highly agitated Second Children. "Morning Shinji-kun." Misato smiled at the boy, assuming his look of fear and shock was something to do with the angry German girl standing in front of him with a scowl on her face. "Oh breakfast." Misato said, looking at the generous portions heaped on the serving tray. "Mind if I join you?"

Misato's words broke the boy from his fear-imposed trance like state. "Good morning Misato-san. Sure, help yourself. Guten Morgen Asuka." He stuttered. "Do you want some to?"

Swiping a sausage from his plate, Asuka looked around the room thoughtfully munching on the spicy morsel. "Morning Baka. Where's Wonde…….."

Having seated herself beside Shinji, Misato began helping herself to the savoury foods heaped on his plate. Her attention was partially distracted by the sudden absence of Asuka's voice. Reluctantly, she looked up to see a slightly damp and very nude First Children wander into the room and finish drying herself. "Rei?"

"Yes Major." Without batting an eyelid at the presence of her commanding officer or the Pilot of Unit 02, Rei made her way over to the dresser and selected a matching set of white cotton panties and bra.

Misato swallowed her food before proceeding. "Do you normally parade around naked? Or are we interrupting something special between you and Shinji-kun?""

With her underwear now on, Rei retrieved a school uniform from the wardrobe. "I have just finished my morning hygiene requirements. I am getting dressed now."

Baffled by the girl's casual indifference to her audience, Misato could only nod her head as she savaged a piece of French toast. "Is that so. Oh well, considering I practically do the same thing, Shinji-kun should be used to this sort of thing. Right Shinji-kun?" Misato nudged the boy, hoping for his familiar response to such an interesting display. Much to her dismay the youth was completely immobile. The fork he had been using clattered to his plate as it slipped from his grasp. "Shinji-kun?" He still did not respond as she waved her hand in front of his eyes. "Perhaps not."

Misato considered what to do as a musical voice called from the hallway. "Morning Shinji, mind if I join you for ……. "The smiling face of Megumi Tanaka popped around the corner. "Oh you have guests." The mischievous smile faltered slightly as she quickly examined the newest interlopers, determining the potential nuisance level they were to her plans.

Her voice broke both Shinji and Asuka from their states of shock. "Of Tana………..Megumi-san. Good morning." Shinji blushed, noticing her morning attire was even more inappropriate than Misato's had ever been. Even having become slightly desensitised to Misato's habit of wearing skimpy clothing around the apartment, he was decidedly unprepared for both Rei's nakedness or Megumi's revealing appearance.

His wandering eyes were distracted by Misato's clicking fingers. "Shinji-kun, mind introducing us."

Stuttering with embarrassment at being caught ogling both Rei, as she prepared to eat the contents of her fruit platter, and Megumi. Shinji looked at the floor as he mumbled his reply. "Misato-san, Megumi-san is one of the finalists in the contest. Megumi-san, Misato-san is my guardian and Commanding Officer. Asuka is an EVA Pilot, like myself and Ayanami."

Megumi smiled, moving over to stand in front of Rei. "I remember The little foreign girl was the one all over that guy that Seijiro ended up spending the night with." The wicked smile that Megumi fired in Asuka's general direction was returned by a look Shinji knew only too well. "And you're Shinji's girlfriend." Megumi looked the girl from head to toe and laughed slightly. "My, my but Shinji does have rather ……..unique taste."

Rei raised her eyes to stare at the woman. "As a contestant Tanaka-san, it is improper for you to be in the judge's room. Remove yourself. Or I will be forced to have Hotel Security do so." Having spoken, she returned to finish eating her food.

Megumi smiled at the girl. A smile that held no warmth or compassion. She continued to smile as she turned and walked slowly from the room. "Shinji."

"Yes Megumi-san?"

"I'll catch up with you later. Bye for now." Megumi winked and blew him a kiss before disappearing.

"That was something else. Care to explain Shinji-kun?" Misato's smile provided every indication that she was definitely going to use this little drama to torment the poor boy for the foreseeable future.

"Well ……. You see……..It's …… Uhmmm." Unable to construct a reply that would sound even remotely believable, Shinji hung his head, accepting his fate.

"BAKA SHINJI!" The shout from the now fully enraged Asuka informed him that Misato's teasing was the least of his worries.

***

Tokyo-3 Municipal High School

"I see. Thank you Aida-kun. I'll pass it on to Sensei." Hikari's eye's wandered over to Touji's regular seat. She was unable to hide the concern in her eyes as she tried to contemplate just how hard it was for him to watch over his younger sibling. Masking his own pain in the hopes of cheering up the bed ridden girl.

Not catching the young brunette's meaningful glance, Kensuke turned to take his own seat. "No problem Class Rep."

"How……. How is Suzuhara-kun's little sister doing?" Her question, catching him off guard, brought him to a halt.

"Mari-chan's getting better every day." Kensuke smiled as he thought of how cheerful the little girl was considering how long she had been hospitalised. "Touji just worries about her, that's all." His words prompted a shy smile from the girl. "I don't have any siblings, it's just me and Dad. So I don't really know what Touji's going through, but," Kensuke stared at the empty seat of the boy in question. "he's my friend. Besides, we guys have to stick together."

"He's very caring." Hikari idly fidgeted with the hem of her skirt as she struggled to control the heat burning her cheeks. "It's….. I mean……..He, Suzuhara-kun."

Kensuke's short burst of laughter drew a few stray looks from his fellow students. "Well that's not what the Devil has to say. According to that one, me, Touji and Shinji are just about the lowest forms of life in existence." He occasionally wondered why the red head even bothered to speak to any of them at all. If she hated them as much as she did, surely she'd just ignore them.

Hikari had long since given up trying to heal the rift that existed between her friend and the so-called 'Three Stooges'. It was a waste of time and energy. "Asuka? Asuka just hasn't known him long enough. She can't see his gentle side. How kind he can be."

Shrugging his shoulders, Kensuke turned his eyes to another suspiciously empty seat. "Speaking of Satan's daughter. Where is she? I haven't heard her constant complainng at all this morning." While not quiet, the absence of the outspoken German girl created a noticeable void in the classroom.

"NERV maybe?" Asuka's absence had her worried. Something may have happened. That was usually the case when the Pilot's were absent.

"Nah. Shinji said they didn't have any tests until tonight." Kensuke checked his pocket computer to confirm the Pilot's schedule. "Maybe the top brass finally deported her back to Germany." He smiled, imagining just how good life would be without the red haired Demon ruining life for the general populace of Tokyo-3.

"Aida-kun!" Standing up, Hikari planted both hands on her hips, glaring at the impertinence of his statement.

Holding his hands up, Kensuke pleaded for clemency, sort of. "Yeah, you're right. We couldn't be that fortunate. Evil of that magnitude never goes away that easily. Have to seal her away first. Maybe in concrete"

With an exasperated sigh, Hikari sat back down. "It's no wonder Asuka treats you guys the way she does. You're terrible."

Kensuke' suddenly looked serious as he stared at the Class Representative for 2-A "No. Just honest. We don't particularly like her and she feels the same way about us. Just look at the way she treats Shinji." <It's like she seeks him out just to vent her anger. Then she accuses him of being a boring little boy when he just backs down.>

Hikari had a few thoughts about that particular situation. "You guys don't know anything. You don't understand how a girl's heart works." Her intuition told her that there was something else to Asuka's continual verbal battering of the shy Pilot of Unit 01.

"Class Rep, nothing you can say will ever convince me that one even has a heart."

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

"Jealous?."

Rei took her eyes from the television production shoot that was underway to answer the elderly woman standing beside her. "Not at all. I am learning many things." For a large part of the morning she had stood by and observed the shy Pilot of Unit 01 who was subjected to numerous advances by the contestants as they continued with the filming of the televised event and associated magazine photo shoots.

"I'm Kaede by the way. Kaede Mishima. I'm the clothing coordinator." She watched how the young girl's expression changed from indifferent to almost disapproving every now and then, especially when one of the contestants went a little too far with the young boy. "Well, while we're waiting for your cute little boyfriend to finish up, how about we prepare a little surprise for him." While her face was a mask of wrinkles, her smile and the sparkle in her eyes spoke of youthful exuberance.

"Surprise?" Rei's head tilted slightly to the side, trying to ascertain the woman's intent.

Peering in close to the young girl, the woman eyed her speculatively. "Hmm. With your complexion I'd suggest a little eye shadow to emphasise your eyes. And maybe a light shade of lipstick." Taking a step back, she crossed her arms and ran her eyes over her petite frame "Now what sort of dress. Definitely one with spaghetti straps. Have to show off that figure, you know." Satisfied with her conclusions, she began ushering Rei towards the area set up as a change room for the contestants.

Surveying the vast arrangement of clothes racks and vanity mirrors, Rei tried to fathom the reason for it all. "What purpose will this serve Mishima-san?"

Ignoring the girl's confused question, Kaede began sorting through the clothes, appraising them into potentials, possibles and not a chance. "Purpose? It's just another facet of a woman's combat training."

"Combat? Training? I do not understand." The sound of excited giggling drew her attention back to where Shinji was. A small group of the beauty contestants were presently making a fuss over the young boy, who was changing into his plug suit.

Taking note of the object of fascination that drew the young girls' eyes, Kaede nodded her head. "When a women has her eyes set on a certain someone, she needs to enhance her best qualities. Not all battles are fought with weapons of mass destruction."

Not quite understanding why she found herself observing the predicament of the Third Children, Rei simply nodded her head. "It is confusing. But I will try."

Slapping her on the back, Kaede held up a set of suggestive underwear. "That's the spirit. Now, with this style of dress you'll need to wear a strapless bra and G-string panties. You can leave your clothes here, I'll have them sent up to your room."

"I dislike the colour red." Rei's eyes narrowed in distaste as she stared at the dress.

"What are talking about Wonder Girl, Red's simply the best colour there is."

Both Rei and Kaede turned to face the source of interruption. "Pilot Sohryu, should you not be at school?"

Asuka walked past both people to watch the event unfold with detached interest. "I just had to see what all the fuss is about." Sneering at the antics, she looked on in disgust. "Schiesse, is it just me or are all these old hags absolutely shameless? Gott, their taste is severely lacking if they can throw themselves at Baka Shinji like that."

Ignoring the feigned attitude of the newest spectator, Kaede began sorting through the remaining outfits for something more suitable for the young blue haired girl. "It's all part of the contest. Don't worry about it. Well, perhaps a dark shade of lavender."

"That colour is acceptable." Rei began removing her clothes in preparation of her fitting.

Smiling at the reserved attitude the girl displayed, she began handing over the new clothes for her to wear. "Then let's give those girls something to worry about."

"Hah! Wonder Girl all 'Dolled' up. This I just have to see."

***

NERV Headquarters - Terminal Dogma

"Are all the preparations for the Compatibility experiment complete?" Gendou had been standing in the one spot for nearly three quarters of an hour. His gaze all but consumed by skeletal structures that filled the gigantic cavern-like room.

Kouzou looked out over the Evangelion graveyard. Humanities failures at reproducing their enemy littered the floor below. "Almost. The respective Pilot's data has been uploaded into the other's Unit's. Doctor Akagi is preparing the test facility for tonight. What of Unit 02 and it's Pilot?" He wondered just how many lives would have been spared had the funding been re-allocated to those impoverished nations. He shook his head. Without the creation of the Evangelions, humanity would not even be here.

Clasping his hands behind his back, Gendou smiled faintly. "The Second Children will participate. She will undergo a standard harmonics and activation test. That should satisfy her ego."

Leaning against the gantry railing, Kouzou allowed himself to chuckle. "My my. Concern for one of the superfluous pawns. How unlike you Ikari." The dry humour seemed very out of place in such a sombre location.

Scoffing at his subordinate's ridiculous statement, he returned his attention to the things that were both a monument to mankind's folly and a testament to their ingenuity. "She may be expendable but we still need her to play her part. It would not do for her to break before her appointed time."

"Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me Ikari." Kouzou shook his head. <I should have known.> "Hopefully if all else fails your own pride will be enough to bring us victory."

"It is her own arrogance that will be her downfall, I only seek to aid the natural process. Her destiny was decided long before her mother decided to participate in Project E." Memories of how the foolish woman had attempted to follow in Yui's footsteps had confounded him. <She didn't realise the intrinsic differences between Adam and Lillith. Kyouko Zeppelin Sohryu's own stupidity condemned not only herself but also her own daughter.>

"And what of your destiny Ikari?" As he asked the question, he was certain what response he would receive.

"I am one who writes his own." Gendou stared at his gloved hands, watching them grip the railing so tight, he expected the soft material to tear.

***

Tokyo-3 International Hotel

"Sooooo, what does the cute boyfriend think?" Kaede grinned at the flustered young boy as he stared in awe at the sight before him.

"Ayanami? Is that really you?" Blinking in amazement at the transformation that a simple change in wardrobe could create, Shinji ran his eyes over Rei, absorbing every last detail. <Is she wearing lipstick? Her hair's been styled to. It looks really nice like that.>

Rei found herself slightly uncomfortable under Shinji's scrutiny. "I am myself Ikari-kun."

Finding himself bereft of rational thought, Shinji uttered the words that he was thinking. "You…..You're beautiful."

Blushing at his open praise of her appearance, Rei nervously shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "Thank you Ikari-kun." The words, still unfamiliar, felt even more appropriate than the first time she had ever used them.

"You think she's beautiful?" Asuka exclaimed. "Just because she finally wears something other than her school uniform? You have got weird taste Third Children." She could barely believe the boy's statement. <He's never called me beautiful before! Jerk!>

Kaede's grin widened. "Well, her boyfriend appreciates it so that's all that really matters." She clapped her hands as she thought of something. "Why don't you keep it for the party Saturday night? There'll be dancing and I think that outfit is perfect for the festivities. The way young Ikari is looking at you he'll like it all the more when it's lying on the bedroom floor." She winked suggestively at the boy, causing his already red features to change to a bright crimson.

"Party? Dancing?" Asuka pushed her way past a shocked Third Children. "I've got to get started. See you two at NERV later."

Finally regaining his senses, Shinji watched the young German girl with a mixture of confusion and wonderment. "Where are you going Asuka?"

"I need a new dress for when Kaji-san takes me to the party, idiot." She called from across the auditorium.

"Ikari-kun?" The soft voice behind him recaptured his attention.

"What is it Ayanami?" He turned to gaze once again at the reborn figure of the First Children.

Rei found herself unable to hold Shinji's almost unrelenting gaze. Her chest constricted and the familiar warmth returned even stronger than before. "Am I………..Do you really think ……..I ….am"

Shinji swallowed nervously as he confirmed his earlier statement. "I do. Not just because of the new dress either." His mind wandered back to the many instances where he had found himself thinking about the Pilot of Unit 01. "I've always thought you were very pretty."

"Ooooh, he's quite the charmer, dearie. You'll have to keep an eye on this one."

***

NERV Headquarters - Central Dogma

"So what do you say Katsuragi, want to join me?" Kaji sat down on table where the reluctant object of his affection was doing her best to ignore him.

"Why don't you just go with that floozy you slept with?" Misato snapped as her eyes shot icy daggers at the all too relaxed man.

"So you heard about that?" Ryouji's smile faltered slightly.

Misato's eyes narrowed dangerously as she very slowly nodded her head once. "Asuka managed to convince poor Shinji-kun to tell her everything." Her teeth grated, never once taking her eyes off the now visibly sweating man. "You may want to avoid Asuka for a while Kaji. She was really upset about the whole thing. Who knows what sort of damage a jealous fourteen year old piloting a biomechanical fighting machine could do? I hope your medical insurance is paid up. How would it look if NERV's Special Inspector was squashed flat by Unit 02's boot?"

Recovering from his initial surprise at the woman's acidic words, Kaji trialed his latest 'Lady Killer' smile. "Unforgiving as usual Katsuragi? You really need to work on your compassion."

Ignoring the toothy grin, Misato countered with a devious smile of her own. "Maybe I should start thinking about settling down with someone? Like Shinji-kun for instance?" Crossing her legs, Misato rested her index finger against her cheek. "What would you have to say about that Kaji? Maybe I could show him, how'd you put it? Ah yes, I remember." Her eyes narrowed dangerously. "How wild I am in bed!" She spoke, her voice low and dripping with venom.

Realising his own poor choice of words were now returning to haunt him, Kaji decided he had lost a lot of ground in his battle to win the heart of the lavender haired Major. "I'd have to pass my condolences on to the Commander. Shinji-kun would never survive a relationship with you, Katsuragi. You'd be too much for him I think."

Sensing she now had NERV's Special Inspector against the ropes, Misato lunged in, going for the kill. "You'd be surprised what Shinji-kun is capable of. And we have been living together for a while now. Trust me Kaji, there's more to that young man than meets the eye"

"Misato, you promised you wouldn't seduce Shinji-kun." Both adults jumped slightly at the unexpected interruption.

Misato's face flushed a deep scarlet, realising how unseemly her previous statement must have sounded. "Ritsu-chan? I thought you were down in the EVA Cages."

"Maya-kun is finishing up down there." Smiling evilly at her friend, Ritsuko took a seat beside the flustered Major. "I've got a few things to finalise with the MAGI uplinks before the test later this evening."

Knowing that she was going to be explaining this one for a long time to come, Misato decided to change the topic of conversation to something more relevant. "Just why did the Commander decide this compatibility thing was so important? And why only Shinji and Rei? Shinji's been inside Unit 02 before, remember."

Humouring her friend, Ritsuko let her off the hook for now. "We've analysed the battle that Shinji-kun assisted Asuka with during the Sixth Angel. While they both broke they're average maximum's, the psychograph patterns of each Pilot indicated a significant amount of mental instability." Seeing the somewhat blank look on Misato's face, Ritsuko sighed. "Simply put, Unit 02 is configured specifically for Asuka. We'd have to rebuild the interface program from scratch to run this sort of experiment." Ritsuko paused and directed her none too friendly smirk at her other old college friend. "Oh and before I forget. Kaji-kun, you had a call from some young woman. Something about seeing you later tonight."

Kaji's shoulders dropped under the combined gazes of both women. "Thanks Ritsuko. You have no idea just how opportune that little bit of information is."

"I've told you before Kaji-kun." Her eyebrow arched slightly as her green eyes flashed with wry amusement. "You need to be more discrete."

***

End Fifth Refrain

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Hopefully things are still moving at a reasonable pace.

As always, post your reviews here at FFN (Or where ever you find this).

Any other comments, thoughts etc are welcome at -

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au.

Ja Ne