Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Comfort and Kindness ❯ Neo-Instrumentality ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision, andGainax. I only *wish* they were mine. If you have not read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well! Special thanks to Steve (Datexan) James for pre-reading this chapter! **Sorry for the long delay but I've had much happen this summer, and my creative juices has gone to other stories. But, I promise that I will finish this and "Sibling Bonds" soon! Thanks to those who stuck around for the end. dennisud

Of Comfort and Kindness

' ' = Mental Conversation

( ) = Thoughts by characters

" " = Dialogue by characters

Author's comment: Sorry to all for the long delay but real life and many other stories means working on one story at

a time but I hope this brings you up to date! Thanks to all my reviewers' positive and negative and hope to end this on a high note! dennisud

Chapter # 15: Neo-Instrumentality

A new view, to the final act of Evangelion. All the players are ready, but how will it all end ? Only One chapter left!

The Seventeenth angel leads to the Final Battle of Tokyo-3, while Third Impact looms. Will Yui Ikari's plan succeed, or will SEELE's and Gendo Ikari's scenarios come to fruition?

Renewal of Faith

As the door shut behind her Rei filed any negative thoughts of the fifth child away in her mind and scanned the apartment for her love. It didn't take her long to hear the normal noise associated with someone making dinner. She of course knew who would most likely be making said dinner. She slowly and quietly took her shoes off and silently made her way towards the apartment's kitchen.

There she sees the love of her life, Shinji Ikari frying up a vegetable stir-fry dinner for them both. She knew him well enough to know his habits by now. So she quietly observed him as he navigated through various parts of the kitchen. Getting either the raw vegetable he throws into the pan, or a spice or tow to add to it, or a utensil to use to finish the dish, as well as the dish itself to complete the culinary trip.

She then slowly walks up to him and gently wraps her arms around him from behind, startling him. He almost jumps two feet off the ground. He turns his head to see who had scared him so, only to see the angelic face of one Rei Ayanami.

Without hesitation and volition, he twists around in her grasp and takes her in a loving hug as he kisses her passionately, deeply, as tears traced themselves down their cheeks.

They kissed for a time in each other's arms until a burning smell jolted them out of their joy. "Oh damn, I gotta keep an eye on the food, Rei, but I missed you so much." They both smiled at each other, smiles they only give to each other.

"I missed you as well, Shinji-kun, but I think we will need energy for the rest of the night." She blushed. "So, I will help you conclude your dinner preparations."

"Well, since the faster we finish the faster we'll eat, sure". Then he pecked her on her soft cheek, and they both continued to finish preparing their dinner.

As they sat down and dined as Misato was back at Nerv for a late shift. They both ate silently until Rei was about to speak. Shinji gestured to her to keep quiet, and then mouthed out the word, "Microphone." as he pointed to various pats of the room where it seemed he had found said devices.

Rei, knowing the Commander as well as her memories could tell her, knew that if there were listening devices, so would there be video cameras as well. Probably monitored by Section 2 agents, who reported directly to Gendo Ikari. She mouthed back "Video" while covering her mouth. Shinji nodded and they continued a silent dinner for the next twenty minutes.

After they cleaned up, Shinji then whispered something to Rei and she nodded her agreement. They then put their shoes on and made their way out of the apartment, then within a few minutes out of that area of Tokyo-3. It took

them about thirty more minutes to make it back to a place now very special to them both.

The Overlook they had shared was still there but with a now rather disturbing sight before them. What was once Tokyo-3, the epitome of man's ingenuity was now 2/3rds gone.

Where the center and southern end of the city stood, was now an area filled in by rainwater to form a shallow lake. None of the buildings moved and the lights now gracing its structures were few and far between.

The scene was foreboding and sullen as the two children sat down, wrapping their arms around each other to ward off the evening chill, and to warm their thoughts at the sight before them. A devastated city they had sworn to protect. Both felt sad, and guilty at the site, but each also knew that they were pawns in a much bigger and sinister game.

Someone said once that knowledge is power, and through various means both of the Eva pilots knew most if not all that was going on now. Who the players are? Who as manipulating whom, to cause Third Impact to happen. As they both sat there they were thinking of how Yui Ikari's plan would work now, given the current situation. As these thoughts swam through the head of Rei Ayanami, and Shinji Ikari, the both glanced into each other's glistening eyes. Knowing both had felt that twinge of guilt and despair. Then they kissed. More to help each other rid themselves of the pain, and comfort each other from it as well. Then they lay down on their sides, facing each other.

Looking into each other's eyes, ascertaining what each was thinking, knowing they were being watched by

Section-2 - and as such, the Commander.

The nodded and then faced each other so as not to let any one on either side of them see or hopefully hear them whisper to each other as they thought this would be the ideal place to do so.

Rei looked deeply into Shinji's eyes and wondered how they could complete the mission Yui's plan had them to do.

"Shinji-kun, I want to tell you that I'm so sorry for deceiving you like I did. But Ritsu thought it wouldn't have been good if I had come back from the dead and shown my affection to you so openly so as not to alert the Commander of my return."

"Yo, … you mean your soul into this new body, right Rei?" Shinji asked hesitantly while each still had each other in an embrace that allowed them to face each other while lying down. Rei simply nodded, and looked beyond Shinji to see

Section-2 agents observing them from a line of trees and shrubs bordering the overlook.

"We're being watched, Shinji-kun." Rei whispered. Shinji squeezed her arm and smiled acknowledging her warning.

The then snuggled closer to trying to whisper the conversation quietly. Looking in to her eyes again, Shinji said,

"Rei, I missed you so much, I can't wait til, this Kaworu, makes his move. I want all this to end so we could have a normal life together."

"He has already started, by warning me of his intentions, but he seems to care for you as well." Rei's statement took Shinji back.

"Wait, what do you mean, he cares for me?" asked a now puzzled Shinji.

"He seems to want to get to know you. Why, I do not know. But if it is part of his scenario to do this then you will have to let him become closer."

"Wait, but that's-scary, you know being a friend to an angel." Rei sighed

"I could be considered a half-angel Shinji, what does that make me to you now?"

He caught his breath, now knowing he had hurt her feelings. "I'm sorry Rei, I wasn't thinking straight."

"It is all right, Shinji-kun. I forgive your lack of thought, but please say what you feel about me now. I could take comfort in that."

He smiled and then kissed her. "I love you Rei." That was all she needed for now knowing he loved her, and she him.

"I love you, Shinji-kun."

At The Nerv Infirmary, a lone lanky figure sat next to another, red in hair color that was connected to various monitoring items making sure she was alive, though unconscious.

There was much Touji Suzahara didn't know. Why was he was alive after the 13th angel, why did his mother die.

Whether it was night or day as he didn't seem to grasp the passage of time as he stared at the girl who he loved.

Laying there almost a lifelike doll or mannequin, who had lost it's abilities to stand and who was simply a lifeless husk to the inner and tormented soul within. He was also lost, without her. Never in his short life did he feel more helpless, even when his sister was hurt in the battle with the third angel. The despair and loneliness he felt was almost overwhelming. How had he become so intensely caring for the one person he had once called the devils' daughter and the she-devil only a few weeks before? How had he now wanted nothing more than to be with her for the rest of his life?

As he gazed at her inert form with the monitors beeping and pinging in the background, with no idea on how he could reach her. Then he remembered the nights they slept together intertwined, holding each other. "Maybe that might jog her out of this." Touji thought, and he then moved Asuka's lifeless body over, lay down on the bed, and then gathered her up as close to when they normally slept together. Then he started singing the lullaby that she had taught him. Something her mother once had sung to get her to sleep. It was a happier time for the second child.

He remembered her far away wistful look then the darkness had returned to her face until he started singing the lullaby to her a few weeks before trying to ward off the nightmares she was having. She had confided in him of the nightmare from her childhood. Though Touji wasn't told why, he understood though that it was traumatic.

So, he kept singing in his low growl of a voice, trying to awaken his heart for she had truly taken it from him the day they first kissed. Touji smiled at the memory of all those stupefied faces staring at them as they both kissed in the center of the school's courtyard. He had looked as they kissed and saw them all gawking and some fainting, mainly girls and a few boys. Then his gaze returned to her so lifeless, as though she was not even within her own body

"Asuka, honey, please come back to me, I need you here with me, please don't leave me." Touji then started to whimper, then cry. He lost it then and wailed while holding her tenderly in his arms. The nurses alerted to what was happening by Touji's wail came in and for a few moments were hesitant to move in to separate him from her. As this was going on Touji fought them yelling Asuka's name at the top of his lungs all the while Asuka was pulled and shoved seemingly without reaction. Then with Touji's yelling her name she abruptly woke up and as she looked around the now crowded room, she saw him with a wet face and an intense look as several male nurses had a hold of him trying to drag him away.

"Take you hands of my Touji, you Bakas!" though not as forceful as was her normal tone, Asuka said that and Touji wiggled out of the nursed grasps and launched himself at the bed where Asuka had sat upright. He landed on her lap and then both hugged each other intensely. Doctor Akagi who had arrived while the male nurses had restrained

Touji, ordered all of them out and then smiled a she saw the young couple in the bed hugging and crying happy to be reunited again.

A good two minutes after the nurses were ordered out of the room, Ritsuko was making her way in when she saw

Asuka in Touji's arms seemingly asleep as he continued the lullaby he had started before She had awakened. To the good Doctor the song and the touch seemed to have calmed the fiery German pilot and would be the first step to her psychological recovery. She then left making sure that the children wouldn't be disturbed as they continued they're reunion.

After Ritsuko left a second time, Asuka opened her eyes again and smiled at her crooning boyfriend. "I think you need some work You know you're tone deaf right?" She said with a tired smile.

Touji stopped and then looked at her with a warm and compassionate expression. "Don't you ever do that again

Asuka, or I will ring your pretty German neck." Though said in the loving tone, Asuka then slugged him in the shoulder rather weakly considering her weak condition.

"I expected as much, now I need you to promise me something right now before we go on from here, Asuka." Touji waited for her to calm down and she finally replied with a humph. "If anything happens to you or me, you need to promise me you will go on with your life." Her face turned ashen as she grabbed a hold of him hugging him so tight it was as if she was trying to climb into him literally.

"But, but Touji I can't bare to see you."

"Do you think it was easy for me seeing what that damned angel did yanking your memories from you and then using them on me, and Shinji? I still don't understand it all, but I know you had something happen with your mother.

" Then the almost forgotten memories flew through Touji's mind his memories, and . "Asuka!"

"Oh, Gods now I know!" He then hugged her even more. He understood, he knew now what she went through." I see now Darlin, I see, but you still need to be strong for me, cause I can't lose you, not like that please promise not to do that again. Please promise me?"

She looked at him with fear, then concern. Fear, as she knew he had seen her memories then concern, of what he was asking her to do. She had acted out of fear of being alone, and of losing her love. Now he was there, holding her and her fear of her past was dissipating. "He knows now, I can talk to him about it, he can help me get through this." She thought as she looked at his deep brown and sincere eyes. "I promise Touji. I also need you to know that

I'm gonna need to talk about this, what happened before, you know. to you. Can you help me?" That was tough for her to say but now she had someone to talk to and that one was the boy that loved her.

Touji seeing her concern then did something that definitely got Asuka's attention. He let her go and got up off the bed, then he knelt down beside the bed on one knee. He then took her hand with one of his, then took the other and held it up.

He then smiled and said, " I Touji Suzahara promise to be your protector, your friend your punching bag when the need arises and your love if you will have me as that. I will be there for you and unless that last angel gets me, I will be there for you until we grow gray and are arguing about denture cleaners." That got a laugh from the German girl.

Then his tone and demeanor turned more serious. "But most of all I will promise you all my love and all my self for as long as you have me." Touji then waited for Asuka to fully digest what he said. He had to do the same as even he had a bit of a hard time following it.

Then she smiled, and answered. "Ok, my Touji, I'll accept your offer on one stipulation." She grabbed his hands and stared intently into his eyes," Don't Leave me!" She looked down then back up at Touji's face, as he was about to speak. "I know you can't guarantee that you or me will live through the next angel attack, nor anything else that could happen in a person's life. All I want is to know that you will never leave me. Do you understand?" He simply nodded in agreement, then they kissed again, this time more tender, and caring than before.

As this couple was reuniting, another was reconfirming their love

Back on the overlook Rei and Shinji were still talking, while the Section-2 agent observed them. Not noticed by them all was the gray haired youth that sat some 20 meters above them observing the whole scene. A smile crept into his face as he saw the children together. He felt better that Shinji was now happy but still at the back of his mind was his purpose, his reason for being. Well, he knew what SEELE had planned for him and that they had a back-up plan, which he had gained knowledge of.

Back in Switzerland, where he had lived previously in an immaculate chateau owned by one Kiel Lorenz, Kaworu was brought up educated and given the privileges of a child of power. He had also been taught science, literature, and technology. With that he as he knew early on who and what he was used the slightest undetectable speck of his power to read minds and to gather information. So by the time he left for Japan, he knew almost as much as Kiel himself. Kaworu had been reading his mind since he was very young. He knew his real worth and use from SEELE's Chairman. So as he pondered his future, he also was pondering the possibilities of what he was slated to do, compared to what he could do.

Then a smile already there expanded even more, then followed by a frown. "It will hurt, but it must be done." Then

Kaworu casually made his way down towards the unsuspecting children, and to an agent who will get the biggest surprise of his life.

________________________________________________________________ ________

A Choice

As Shinji and Rei were talking, Rei suddenly shot up to her legs and stepped beside Shinji. He turned to see the fifth Child, Kaworu Nagisa walking towards him. Behind him they see a now unconscious Section-2 agent. As Shinji stands up and moved next to Rei. Kaworu stops about 5 feet from them and smiles. "I am sorry for the disruption but we need to talk privately." He glanced at the downed agent.

"What do you want?" asked Rei impassively but with a slight hint of aggravation.

Suddenly and swiftly, Kaworu is literally flying through the air and shoves Rei away and then the all too familiar AT

Field is up between the fallen Rei, and Shinji who now is facing the Seventeenth angel, Tabris, also known as Kaworu Nagisa.

As the field closed in, it brought a now frightened Shinji, closer to the still smiling Kaworu. "Don't be frightened of me

Shinji, but what I have to do will not take long and it's for your own good."

"But, but, You're a, … a … an angel!"

"Well yes, but I wouldn't go about bantering it around, especially here." While Kaworu chuckled at his attempt at humor, it only made Shinji more anxious.

"This isn't funny, what do you want with me?" Shinji now angered answered.

"Well, let's say for now we talk and Rei now knows what I can do. Is that all right with you?" Kaworu waited for a response from Shinji or a now angry Rei, standing behind him.

"Why don't you just kill us now, and be able to walk to your goal." Rei stated in her normal tone.

"If I follow my purpose as you have sister, then I would. But I'm not." Kaworu then watched a shocked expression form on Shinji's face while Rei looked concerned and tilted her head a little.

Then the AT Field vanished and all three children were facing each other. "I assume by your silence that we can then sit down and talk?"

Rei and Shinji in turn nodded. They sat down on the grass, with Rei next to Shinji and Kaworu facing them.

"Well, what do you want to say?" asked Shinji as Rei listened on.

"There is more than one way to achieve your purpose. Isn't that right, Rei."

As Shinji turned his gaze to Rei he saw an expression he would never have seen before in her face before. Fear!

"Rei, what's wrong, Can you tell me what's wrong." Shinji's feelings were shown, as was fear for his love on his face.

"I choose to follow my purpose, but I cannot say if it will be achieved." Rei's response now obviously directed to Kaworu's question.

"And I say that our purpose, was given to us by another of a higher calling."

"Wait a minute, what the heck are you two talking about?" says a now frustrated Shinji.

Kaworu then chuckles while Rei sighs. Shinji is simply more bewildered.

"All I'm saying is, there are always, … possibilities." And with that Kaworu got up and walked away from a silent First Child, and a totally out of the loop Third Child.

Then after Kaworu disappears, Rei gets up and offers her hand to help Shinji up. He turns to her, "What was all that about, Rei?"

"She turns to face him, "Tomorrow go with my sister and all will be known." Then she offers her hand for him to take and they walk off towards the partially devastated city that was their home.

________________________________________________________________ ________

Final Decisions

After the Nerv infirmary physicians medically checked out Asuka, Touji and Misato escorted her home. By then Shinji and Rei had returned and were watching some TV and snacking on health chips.

"Well aren't you going to greet the Top Eva pilot . who really needs to go now!

"Go where darlin?" Touji asked rather densely.

She just glared at him and hobbled to the bathroom, muttering shiest and Dumkouph as she went. Shinji smiled at the scene while Asuka shut the bathroom door with a slam. "Touji, you really need to pay attention, cause you just got in trouble again."

"Huh?"

"What Shinji-kun refers to was the hint given by Asuka that she needed to use the bathroom." added Rei.

"Oh, so that's what she… oh I'm dead meat!" Touji covered his face with his hand in disbelief of how dumb he acted.

Then Shinji helped his dull witted friend by getting him to help make the special dinner for the Second Child. As they were in the kitchen, making the meal the girls were in various stages of dress, to make them presentable for dinner. While Asuka, fresh out of the bathroom, was dressing in that yellow dress that she wore the first time she had met Shinji, and Touji, she lent a similar light-green chiffon dress similarly cut almost the same length as Asuka's dress. As they both looked in the mirror in Asuka's room, they stared at themselves and each other.

"You look pretty." Rei said in her soft tone.

"Thanks, you look nice as well." Was Auska's fidgety answer.

"Do you think they will approve?" Rei asked with a hint of hesitance.

"Oh, yeah I know they will." Asuka now gaining some confidence "And I can tell you that they will be very attentive to us tonight."

"How do you know?" Rei asked.

Asuka replied with her now familiar smirk "Because they're boys, and they like us, so they will be very attentive to what we want." Rei nodded in newfound understanding. "Of course being boys and not men, they will make

mistakes, but we as those that care for them, should be more forgiving, … well we should be more forgiving." Asuka paused but Rei asked.

"So will you forgive Touji for his misspoken words?"

"I suppose, but I'll make him squirm first." She has a mischievous smile now on her face.

Rei was confused. "Why would you want to cause discomfort to one you care for?"

Asuka looked at her with frustration. "Because Rei, you want them to remember not to make the same mistake again, plus it makes me feel better that he would feel some of my discomfort he caused me."

"But, isn't one of the concepts of love is to be able to forgive mistakes made by those you love?" Rei stated.

Asuka grumbled, then looked up at the girl causing her more irritation than any caused by Touji's comments. "OK Rei

I won't do that, ok!" She hrumphed and then after checking herself for a final time walked to her bedroom door.

"Well aren't you coming?"

She copied Asuka's movements, and checked herself as well, then Rei made her way through the open door as

Asuka followed her out towards the apartments' dining room.

When the girls made they're way to the dining room where Misato was already seated. Touji was setting the table, while Shinji was bringing the food, which was mostly European food with a good portion of vegetables.

Then there were two sets of gasps, first from the boys at the girl's dresses and features. Both had mouths hanging and eye bulging at the beauty of both Asuka in her yellow sundress, and Rei in her light-green chiffon.

The second set was mainly Asuka while Rei let out an almost silent sigh as they saw the boys in suit and ties. The deduced that they had dressed at the same time as they did while darting back and forth to the kitchen.

Both boys were dressed in the standard black suit, plus the white shirt, and tie. The funny thing to Asuka was that

Touji kept tugging at his to loosen it and that made her smile. Shinji looked very smart and Rei smiled because he looked even more handsome to her than ever.

Misato was sitting quietly observing the four teens and was, herself smiling as she saw the sparks of caring flying though out the room. "Love was definitely in the air," she thought. She finally had to put a stop to the staring admiration society. "Ok, earth to the Eva pilots? Anybody awake? HEY!" Misato's shout broke the stillness.

"What, oh sorry." Shinji said which quickly earned a glare from Asuka. After that exchange the four joined Misato and sat down to eat their special dinner. Asuka was of course joyous with selection of food and was happy with the

Sauerkraut, and Bratwurst. There was food that most Japanese could eat and so everyone including vegetarian, so

Rei enjoyed the meal too.

After dinner, they all moved to the living room to watch a movie with Misato excusing herself as she had an early meeting with the Commanders and Ritsuko. She had allowed Rei to bunk with Asuka and so both couples were cuddled up on either end of the couch. With Shinji and Touji at the ends, while Asuka and Rei were resting their heads on their respective partners chests.

Not much was said, as the children's need to for contact seemed to be the main goal. All knew that soon they would be facing the last angel and hoped that they would be able to have normal lives after that. But Shinji and much more

Rei knew that it might not turn out that way.

As they enjoyed the simple joy of being with the one they cared for, outside that final angel kept a vigil across the way in a mostly vacant building? Kaworu Nagisa was debating his choices, which now included the chance that he was thinking of . He had grown to like Shinji, and respect the rest of the pilots. He also knew the way a higher being felt about them also. Though scripture was to be followed, Kaworu knew there were several ways to that eventual goal. He knew his existence was finite, at least in this corporeal form. But, he wanted a way not just too keep the children alive, but protect them and their future. Then an idea came to him. He looked up and simply smiled, and nodded. "It will be done." And with that the smiling angel departed and headed for entrance to Misato's apartment to fulfill his, and the children's destiny.

________________________________________________________________ _______

Attack

The siren startled all in Misato's apartment some hitting the floor (Mostly male) while other smiled and chuckled. (The females) But within 10 minutes, all five were shoehorned into Misato's Blue Renault. Misato was doing her usual driving, while Touji was holding a complaining Asuka on his lap in the front passenger seat. Rei and Shinji were holding on to each other as they shifted from one side to another in the back seat as Misato was making her way grand prix style, through the Tokyo-3 streets to Nerv HQ.

After she dropped off the pilots at the changing rooms, she made her way to Central Dogma's Command Center.

There she found out to her dismay what, … and then who was the seventeenth angel.

As the pilots filed into the briefing room, they saw the serous look Misato and Ritsuko had and knew it wasn't going to be good, of course Shinji and Rei knew who the angel was. "Ok guy's the angel appeared just outside Tokyo- 3 and hasn't moved since." Misato then took a moment to access the faces of each of her charges. Touji was concerned, while Asuka was a bit perturbed at wanting to get to going. Rei and Shinji looked a bit dejected but seemed to be ok.

She took a breath and continued. "The angel, … Is Kaworu Nagisa!"

Only two gasps were heard from Asuka and Touji. "That white as a sheet, … you mean he's a," Touji was stunned.

"Yes my Jock genius now we need to squash him and get on with our lives. So how do you want to approach this Misato?" Asuka sat there waiting for her answer, while holding an upset Touji's hand under the table.

But, what we haven't understood is why he hasn't made his way to Terminal Dogma?" Added Ritsuko

Then Shinji added. "He's at the lookout where we sit to look over the city at dusk." He then looked at Rei; "Maybe he's simply waiting for us to come to him."

"What do you mean Shinji?" Asked a now curious Ritsuko.

Rei then answered for both of them. "He met us there before and confronted us there. I think he wants to conclude that confrontation now." Rei then visibly took Shinji hand and looked down in thought.

Then we send you and Rei there while Asuka and Touji take places at street level and on the Geofront. Then a second alarm sounds. The monitor in the briefing room comes on to show Unit-02 climbing out of the Geofront and headed towards that lookout where Kaworu is. That swinehunt, taking my precious Unit-02." Asuka was fuming as the red Eva unit made it's way through the city.

"Well this will give us a chance to prove one of my theories.," a smiling Ritsuko said. All looked and waited as she continued. "Touji and Asuka will take Unit-04 to the Geofront co-piloting it."

Both of them looked stunned. They finally came to their senses when Shinji added, "You mean like we did with the sixth angel?"

"I've always wanted to see if we could have gotten that high sync rate with two pilots."

"But why Asuka and Touji" asked a confused Misato.

"Well, due to they're, …current situation, their emotional involvement should help unit-04 allow Asuka to add her Sync to Touji's, which of course would make the Eva that much more powerful." Ritsuko was even a bit giddy at the

prospect of proving her theory.

"But what happens if The Eva rejects her?" Touji worriedly asked. His concern was for her safety, Asuka could sense this and smiled at him squeezing his hand.

"We'll have enough time while Shinji and Rei keep the angel busy." Misato added.

"Which would give us time for us to do this." Ritsuko finished.

Then as the details were being worked out, Rei reached out and sensed the power emanating from Kaworu "We must hurry." She said and all was silent as everyone got up to go to their posts.

Then as they were leaving Ritsuko said to Shinji, "We'll postpone until tomorrow Shinji, OK?" He simply nodded and followed the other pilots to the Eva cages.

Kaworu was whistling "Ode to Joy" as he saw the red Eva come up the hill towards him. Then in the background, the purple Unit-01 and blue Unit-00 were running up behind it. "Time for the prophecy to be fulfilled." With that Kaworu floated up into the air.

The battle if you could call it that began, with the possessed red Eva Unit- 02 turning and launching itself first at

Rei's unit and knocking it down towards the city, but by then Shinji had gotten a hold of the red Eva who then turned around and bear hugged him. Then the unexpected happened. Kaworu slowly phased into the back of Unit-01 and then Shinji was looking at a floating Kaworu only two feet from him within the Eva. "Now we go to

Adam." Kaworu then in unison, made both Eva's march down towards Tokyo-3, and The Geo-front.

It took them maybe 5 minutes to take a long leap down to the Geofront and then they spotted the silver form of Unit-04. Asuka, sitting on Touji's lap was concentrating on the Evas in front of her, and Touji sitting behind her. He was trying as well and after a rocky start-up as the unit shook violently until the two pilots had kissed. It seemed to have conveyed to the Eva of the pilot's connection and now it had accepted both of them.

As the three Evas were eyeing each other, Shinji was having an argument with the angel once known as Kaworu now within his entry plug. "What right do you have to do this? And why did you betray us, betray me?" Shinji shouted while trying to get control back of Unit-01.

"Shinji-kun, I know that Rei informed you of who I was and am now. So I do not think that this should be any surprise to you," said the still smiling angel now called Tabris.

Shinji sighed but continued. "Then knowing that why didn't you just kill me when you came into my Eva?" Rei's unit too now dropped into the Geo-Front. This time Kaworu sighed. "Because I have to fulfill my destiny."

"And that is, to kill every living thing on this planet even Rei, Misato, Asuka, and me?"

"I am the angel of Free will, I know you have been told that if we were to become one with what is the first angel in

Central Dogma then the human race and every living thing on earth will be destroyed. Am I right?"

"Yes, and by causing Third Impact, you would then be the only beings to survive."

" I can tell you that I have seen the human race with all it's darkness, as well as it's light and hope. I have chosen to die for you, but I need to get to Adam for that to happen."

"How can I believe you? You've taken over two Evas and are now headed to the place and the being we have

fought for you not to unite with. Why should I believe you?" Shinji was exasperated.

"You will just have to trust me." Kaworu still smiling.

"How can I trust someone who has lied to me? Aren't angels not allowed to lie?" Shinji asked.

"I have never lied to you Shinji-kun. I simply did not volunteer the information."

"And that let you have the right to kill us all?"

Throughout this conversation Unit-2 and 4 fought it out on the Geo-Front areas as Unit-01 floated down to Terminal

Dogma and Unit-00 was closing in it .

"Rei, engage Unit-01 and stop it from getting to Terminal Dogma." the Commander said.

"Understood, but sir, If I cannot stop it from entering Terminal Dogma?"

"Then use ,… whatever means necessary."

Rei had to ask for clarification, she received the same answer. Now she knew her loyalty to Commander Gendo Ikari was at an end. "Yes Sir." She said but she did not mean it. There had to be a way to get The Angel out of Unit-01.

So as she dropped towards her battle with a possessed Unit-01, Unit-02 and 04 fought, with a mad German girl almost crying as she and Touji were battling a possessed Unit-02.

After a few more minutes of combat, the innate skill and experience of its pilots versus a pilotless Eva soon became too much and after they stopped the Red Eva they too jumped down the shaft to where another battle was just commencing.

Unit-01 and Unit-00 were facing each other. Rei knew that her unit being the first Prototype would not be as powerful as Unit-01 but she still had to find a way to stop Tabris from joining with the creature he called Adam. But she knew who it really was down there. She hoped that eventually the angel would find out too.

But it didn't take long till Unit-01 had broken several of Unit-00's chest plates and had it simply under that Unit's foot. Rei was of course feeling all of it, Shinji watched helplessly as Kaworu continued to order Unit-01 fight. Then when Kaworu had finally defeated the blue Eva he looked from the entry plug's viewer to find not Adam, but Lillith.

This had confirmed what he dreaded that SEELE wanted the Oneness of Instrumentality and the end to humanity as we knew it. He knew what would happen next but before that happened, he had to help Shinji, though it would not be seen that way. He then turned to him and said, "I do this to help you with your final battle", then he waved his hand diagonally which made a thin and clear cut right down Shinji's chest. Shinji felt nothing as the cut was made, just the fear of the act. Then he was suddenly floating outside the Eva towards the big while creature, hanging above what looked like a pool of LCL. As Asuka and Touji entered the area they saw Kaworu also splitting himself open seemingly without any pain.

"Kaworu what are you doing?" Shinji asked bewildered, while still hanging in mid-air, unable to move and with his chest cracked open. Kaworu faced him in mid air doing the same.

"SHINJI!" Rei screamed as she escaped her Eva's entry plug, leaping off her unit and ran toward the floating pair.

Kaworu knew he only had a few seconds till Unit-04 would grab and crush him. His AT-Field had kept communications off between the Evas and Central Command, so he did in one swift motion, two things. First he transferred his S2 organ into Shinji's chest cavity, then as he was dying, with his fading power he closed his friends chest with that same smile on his face, as his friend now screamed and shook violently.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Shinji screamed as he fell into the LCL pool followed by a diving Rei, while Unit-04 grabbed the dying angel and swiftly crushed what remained of his body.

As Shinji was caught in the LCL by Rei and brought to the surface, Kaworu' remains hit the surface on the other side of the LCL pool.

After Rei had gotten Shinji to the edge she checked him, she saw that he was unconscious and also that his chest wound was healing rapidly. She went over what she had seen and had a revelation. Shinji now had an angel's S2 organ. This would definitely bring some new changes in the plan. But she also knew that if he did posses the organ, she had to be with him 24 hours a day so when he awake he wouldn't inadvertently blow up the Geo-front, as he know had the power of an angel within him.

As Asuka and Touji dismounted their entry plug, they help Rei with Shinji as the medical teams were on their way.

"Asuka, did you see what Kaworu did?" Asked Rei nervously.

"You mean stick his S2 into him yeah, and I thought he was going to rip him apart, till he opened up his own chest."

She shook her head.

"I saw that too, man I though Shinji was angel meat." Touji stared in disbelief.

"Well, I need you two to not tell the Commanders about this. I'll inform my sister and we'll have the Magi cover this for now."

"Why?" They both said

"Because I think I know why Kaworu did this." Rei replied.

"So, Why did the angel boy sacrifice himself?" Touji asked.

Rei sighed, "He was not the final angel."

"WHAT?!?!?" Both said in unison.

"Humanity is the eighteenth angel. That means SEELE will attack Nerv and us soon."

"It had to be man versus man, Yeah it had to be that!" Touji was shaking his head in disgust.

"We'll need to keep and eye on Shinji. There is no telling what will happen when he awakens." Rei stated.

Then before further discussions could happen Ritsu and the medics arrived. As all three pilots accompanied Shinji,

they all shared a knowing shake of the heads, as their plans would have to change. Rei hesitantly laid a hand to her

loves heart and felt the tell tale signs of her own power as the S2 organ was already adapting to it's new host.

________________________________________________________________ ________ The final outcome is here! What and who will be left?

Chapter #16: Finality The title says it all!