Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Draw Me Close ❯ Beginnings of Feelings ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.

Draw Me Close

Chapter 2: Beginning of Feelings

**A/N: Well, you wanted more, so here it is! Though I don't see this going 1 or 2 more chapters. But we'll see.

** Beta Version, (My regular pre-readers were unavailable so this chapter WILL be corrected. But it's been sitting for two weeks, So I decided to get it to you now.

Let me know if there are any major errors, and I'll fix it.) dennisud

Rei's Thoughts (As she walks with Shinji)

"The end is near, and I don't want to end my journey … now that Ikari-kun is back in my life." The thoughts of the First Child were singularly on this one subject, this one person, this one being, the Third Child.

Since their first meeting under that outstretched hand of Unit-01 sheltering them from falling debris, Rei Ayanami has been thinking of Shinji Ikari many times a day. At first as a fellow Eva-pilot and later as a colleague, then as a friend, her only real friend.

Now he was always in her thoughts. And yet before that fateful meeting with her bleeding and in pain from her wounds, there was Eva, and only Eva. That, and the Commander.

Gendo Ikari, her Guardian, and her maker. At first he was father and mentor, later as she grew till just before her first death he was her reason for living, Yet then she knew her destiny, she knew her purpose, they were the most important things to her anymore. But, in this time, her walking next to the Commander's estranged son, Rei knew her purpose was Her memories of Rei's shared past made Eva a distant second. Shinji was now her singular purpose.

Rei memories carried her back to that first real meeting with the First Child. She had a small quiet smile as she remembered how Shinji held her protectively, and with care. Doing his best not to hurt her. And what was she to him. A strange girl hurt and crying in his arms. Shinji held her even though they had not met each other before. At least that was what she thought.

Later when she cross-synced within Unit-01 she saw herself on his memories. One time, on a deserted street staring at him through his eyes. Another, when she smiled at him after the Fifth Angel. Still another, his gazing at her during the tenth Angel while crawling through the Geo-Front. Then her last secret sync test done by Dr. Akagi just the day before. Rei saw, and seemed to have felt his hurt at the way she reacted to him in the hospital. She knew now how he really cared about her, and Rei was slowly understanding this as well.

As she was deep in her thoughts, she suddenly asked if they could walk to a place Rei wanted to show Shinji something important to her. After a few awkward moments he smiled, nodded and with Rei leading, they headed towards the more devastated area of Tokyo-3.

As they made their way through an area where buildings had fallen and all the people had been evacuated Rei guided Shinji through it with gestures and looks. No vocal communication was used, as both of the Children seemed not to need it.

Then they turned a corner of a collapsed building and saw the broken line of a newly formed lake. One of the lakes made by Rei-II's ultimate sacrifice.

Shinji froze on the spot, not moving and seemingly unaware of his surroundings. Rei seeing this stood beside him, and waited patiently as whatever Shinji was thinking had played out in his mind.

Then after a few minutes Shinji shook his head and looked around to reacquaint himself to where he was. He looked next to him seeing the solemn but curious look Rei had. He smiled nervously and asked what had happened, Rei quietly explained what she had seen him do, and he sighed and nodded.

He then explained;

"I had a flashback of what I saw from the Video Feed in Unit-01's entry plug." He looked down the beginning of tears threatening to come. Rei then quietly took his hand a squeezed lightly to assure Shinji's feelings. He nodded and continued. " I was so sad, and so angry."

He looked at her with hurt and sad eyes. " I had lost my friend without being able to help you Rei." Without a word, both embraced and held each other in the middle of the abandoned street. Rei quietly hugged the now crying Shinji as the night came in all its shades of darkness.

After few more minutes, Rei quietly broke their embrace and led Shinji to the edge of the lake and both sat on what was clearly a wall of a now submerged building. The wall was at a 40-degree angle and Rei had to help a still upset Shinji up to the edge where she finally got him to sit down dangling his feet off the edge. She sat down next to him, took his hand in hers and rubbed his hand to calm him down. Shinji finally stopped sobbing and sat quietly as the Moon rose out from behind the Mountains surrounding the half-destroyed city.

If it was not for the devastated cityscape in front of them the moon rising as it was over the now glowing mountains would take your breath away.

It seemed that the two reveled in the silence. The newly discovered feelings brought on by physically touching whether by holding hands, wrapping arms around each other or a full embrace this and the silence was comforting to them so it took a while more until Rei finally broke the silence.

"You must be wondering why I brought you here." Rei stated in a soft tone. Shinji looked at her nodded and waited for Rei explanation.

" I wanted you to see a sight just as wondrous as this." She then pointed to the rising moon. The gray globe seems to brighten as it slowly traces its nightly route across the starry sky. The moon's slow progression allowed the two to have that quiet time they now relished. But Rei knew she had to talk about what was bothering her. She also knew that the subject was sitting right next to her. She held her breath as she gazed on Shinji as he was staring up to the sky transfixed by the sight of the moon and the twinkling stars. Rei waited a few more minutes, then she said," It was not a mirage when you saw me on the street, you did see me." Shinji turned to her surprised and wondering what this was leading to.

As the teenage couple was talking a silent witness stood hidden a few meters away.

That witness had concluded a fateful meeting a few hours earlier, before they had arrived.

He stayed secluded, not moving as he remembered …

A Frank Discussion

An hour earlier Kowaru Nagisa, the Fifth Child, made his way to that same stretch of beach Rei and Shinji were currently occupying. He had a fateful meeting with the SEELE holographic monoliths that through some new technology appeared all around him just as they had previously within the inner sanctum of the Geo-Front and with one Gendo Ikari.

(In script format for this section only!)

SEELE#1: What is your progress in infiltrating Nerv and associating with the 3rd?

Kowaru: I have not as yet spoken to him, but there is a new development.

SEELE#3: Yes, what is this new development?

Kowaru: Well, it seems that the 3rd and 1st Child are now developing a close relationship.

SEELE#7: WHAT? How is that possible? The current 1st Child was just activated. Even our spies have informed us of that. There should be an opposing relationship between the two!

Kowaru: Never the less, it is now fact and the bond between them is growing stronger.

(Throughout this Kowaru is calmly smiling and keeping his tone of voice warm and steady. Even though the rest of the SEELE council have an agitated tone.)

SEELE#11: So what do we do? Do we force them apart by some act or accident, or do we let them stay together?

Kowaru: If I may, I can approach and befriend them both.

SEELE#5: But … won't the 1st sense what and maybe who you really are and be less inclined of your offer of friendship?

Kowaru: I think I can convince them of my sincerity in my being their friend. Plus if I can win over Rei Ayanami, Shinji Ikari will follow.

SEELE#1: But how can that help us fulfill our scenario?

Kowaru: I will simply help steer them in the right direction at least until the time comes.

SEELE#1: Very well, continue on your mission and don't fail us, 5th child, as it would mean failing the one who created you.

Then as quietly as they appeared the transparent monoliths disappeared.

As the leave Kowaru slowly sakes his head, "The Lillum can be so creative, so intelligent … yet even those who have the power within the Lillum world can be so … foolish."

Meanwhile above the beach where the meeting took place a lone figure with binoculars and a directional microphone listened in on the meeting. "So Shinji and Rei are in danger. Hell, not if I can help it!" Then Major Misato Katsuragi quietly made her way to her hidden car and then drove to her apartment, and a meeting with both children. She knows they would eventually arrive there and she wanted to be ready. "No one will lay a finger on my kids!"

Kowaru shook his head as he made his way to his current position after the Monoliths disappeared. He was sitting a few meters away from the two embraced pilots who sat on an upturned piece of a submerged building, dangling their feet out over the water of the lake, admiring the moon over them and quietly talking with each other.

Kowaru smiled a genuine smile as he looked at the pair.

"They are both troubled," He said to himself," but they have each other and that alone makes them more worth than those who seek Instrumentality." He then nodded and waited for an opportunity to quietly make his way towards them. He knew it would take a few more minutes as he saw the expression on Rei Ayanami's face. So he sat and patiently awaited his and their fateful rendezvous.

A Fateful Rendezvous

"I was injured when you saw me on that street. I was dreaming of the scene you saw … except I saw you looking confused, standing next to that phone booth. Then a moment later the rumbling of the 3rd Angel woke me, and I lost that vision."

Shinji then interrupted Rei. "But, you had told me before that you don't have dreams? At least nothing like what people have…" Shinji mentally kicked himself. He knew he had somehow hurt Rei's feelings. But he looked at her and saw now real reaction to his verbal flub. So, after a few more moments Shinji waited for Rei's response.

"I do not dream as you have stated, I sometimes do have visions whenever I am injured or have been knocked unconscious." Rei stated. Then they stared silently into each other eyes. Rei still keeping her emotionless mask on, while Shinji was growing more concerned.

She only has this happen when she … hurt. Shinji tightened his arm around her.

"Is there anything else you need to tell me, Rei?" He saw right through the mask she had on. The events earlier that day convinced him and he could see Rei was nervous about something.

Rei then looked down at their joined hands and sighed. " I do not wish for this interaction, this contact between us to end."

There was a moment of silence until an giggle then a louder laugh came from a now smiling Shinji. "Oh, there's no doubt of that happening Rei, I like this closeness, I've wanted to get close to someone for a long time, But … I … I just lacked the courage to do it." Then Shinji became nervous as he added, "I also don't handle rejection well, so I haven't really tried to become this close to anyone, even Asuka and Misato."

Then Rei asked, "So, you were fearful of becoming close, yet you have let me become closer to you. Why?"

"Because I've had a gut feeling, a sense here (pointing to his heart)that you won't intentionally hurt me as others have." (His father came to mind then.) "I'm also lonely, I can sense you are too." Rei stared at him then nodded, squeezing his hands with hers, a silent acknowledgement of her feelings for him. Shinji smiled and carefully removed one hand and put it on Rei's shoulders drawing her closer into an awkward embrace. Yet the warmth enveloped them both they closed their eyes enjoying each other's physical, and it seemed spiritual contact. But all good things eventually do come to and end.

"Beautiful night is it not?" Rei and Shinji were startled out of their reveille by that soft warm voice which came from their left. As they opened their eyes, they saw a thin boy dressed in a white shirt and black pants, standard issue School uniform, his hands in his pockets smiling at them. "Hello, I am Kowaru Nagisa, the 5th Child. I hope I wasn't interrupting anything?"

"No …no you just scared us when you called out, I'm Shinji Ikari, and this is Rei Ayanami."

"Ahh, the 1st and 3rd Children, I am honored to make your aqwaitence." He bowed deeply even though he was standing on the edge of an adjacent submerged building.

As the exchange of words took place between Shinji and Kowaru, Rei kept a keen eye on the newcomer. Something was wrong with him, she could feel it in her heart. But, other than the obvious gray hair, light skin and red eyes, which struck her close to home, she knew there was more than that odd about him.

Of course the 1st Child was blunt and up front, "Why are you here, Pilot Nagisa?" Rei asked bluntly Shinji's arm still around her shoulders.

"I am here to admire the view, as I'm sure you are. It was only a lucky chance that I ran into you on this lovely moon filled night." Kowaru smiled back at the couple.

There was a minute or two of silence between them until Kowaru sighed and said,

"I assume you both know about the sync tests tomorrow. So I'll leave you two alone to enjoy the night and I'll see you then. Maybe we can have some lunch afterwards and get to know each other better, since we do have to work together" Kowaru asked with a glint in his eyes and that constant smile on his face.

Rei was not used to having someone whom she did not know try and talk to her. So she did not want Kowaru to join them anytime soon including after the sync test. Rei wanted as much time with Shinji as possible now that she had discovered the enjoyment factor of being close to him. But before she could raise and objection or simply say no, Shinji answered.

"I think that would be a good idea. Rei and I can then show you around. Isn't that right Rei?" Shinji smiled at Rei then looked like the Eva had bitten down on a vital part of his body. The look Rei gave Shinji could have frozen even Gendo Ikari in his famous pose! But, after a pleading look from The Third Child, Rei sighed and simply nodded once. The First Child was growing more concerned at the ease Shinji could make her change her mind. She decided a talk later would clear this up. Plus Rei wanted to research this new pilot, as she still had an uneasy feeling about him. Rei remembered this same feeling …just before each angel attack.

"Well I'll see you two tomorrow and don't stay up too late, it is supposed to rain tonight." Kowaru then waved and made his way off the angled slab he was standing on and walked down a decimated street whistling a certain classical tune.

"Ok, Thanks and see you tomorrow." Shinji then waved back at the other boy's receding form.

"Shinji … we need to start walking to our homes." Rei said as she stood up rather abruptly and started making her way down from the ledge. Shinji seemed to know she was upset. He knew when Asuka was upset as that was obvious, but Rei subtlety was a different and did confuse him a bit at times.

When he made his way down Rei waited for him and simply held out her hand. Shinji carefully took it intertwining their fingers and they headed towards the nearest train station to take a train back towards where the Katsuragi apartment was.

As they left Kowaru observed them from a hidden spot a few meters from the station, " I wonder, will it be worth it?" He then shrugged his shoulders and headed for the Geo-Front.

Twist of Faith

-Misato talks to Shinji & Rei who is now staying at their apartment. They talk about what Misato saw and heard, plus their budding relationship and why Shinji wants Rei to stay with them.

It was almost 9pm at night when the door to Shinji's apartment swished open and the two quiet teens took their shoes off and headed down the hall. They past the kitchen and on to the common room, where they saw Shinji's guardian Misato Katsuragi sitting on the sofa with a beer can in her left hand, and a TV remote in her right seemingly waiting for them.

"So where have you been Shinji dear?" Misato said with a strained look in her eyes.

"Ahh, well Rei and I were out walking around the city, and … we finally did meet the newest Pilot, Kowaru Nagisa, the 5th Child." Shinji said holding the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Yes, what Ikari says is true. We walked the city observing the destruction from the 16th Angel's attack. We did meet Pilot Nagisa." Rei said without prompting.

Misato, sensing something was going on between the two took a minute to gather her thoughts as the two teens stood there awaiting what she would say next.

"Ok you two, sit down and let's have a talk." Her tone, even with the smile on her face was clear, so Rei and Shinji sat down on the love seat next to the sofa, as Misato began their discussion.

"First, What's the 'real' reason you two were out all day?" Shinji started to squirm, while Rei sat next to him with her common emotionless look. Which normally wouldn't have phased Misato except she saw something in Rei's eyes that she never saw before. Rei was angry.

Misato then quickly remembered the tour Ritsuko gave that was to traumatize Shinji, and indirectly affect the Commander. But Ritsuko's plan was flawed in that the Commander didn't care about A Traumatized Shinji, just as log as he could pilot Unit-01.

Misato also remembered that after the tour She saw a change in this Rei compared to her other incarnation that Misato had known. Now Misato understood. This was a different Rei, Not just Physically, but emotionally and spiritually. So, she decided a talk with Ritsuko would be in order, but their strained friendship might not survive if anything more was added to the stress.

Finally Shinji explained in detail his day with Rei, from where they met that morning to where they walked to in the city to their travel back to the apartment. Through the explanation, Misato nodded and sipped her beer while Rei sat passively next to Shinji sometimes looking at him then at the Major. Finally, when he finished Misato had a thoughtful look as she digested the pilots day then she put her now empty can of beer in the nearest trash can and then spoke.

"Shinji, as you know of Rei's origins you also know that although she is an Eva pilot and a trusted member of Nerv, she has as apart of her DNA apart of the of the angel kept down in Terminal Dogma." This reminded Shinji of Ritsuko's recent tour and that Nerv had one of the angels locked up there. Misato then turned to Rei. "Pilot Ayanami, I want to ask you as your Commanding officer what your reasons were to first try to find certain music titles on CD and why did you use Section-2 in locating Shinji?"

Shinji turned towards Rei who simply asked, "Is that true? You used Section-2 to track me down? You know you could have called me on my cell phone."

Then Misato and Shinji were treated to a surprise, a slightly blushing Rei answering, " It would not have been a … surprise to you if you knew I was coming." Rei looked down on her hands, which were on her lap. Shinji looked at her in awe, and gave her a sincere smile.

She peeked behind her blue bangs and the blush deepened a bit more.

Misato, who was witnessing this, saw a now very different Rei from the one she knew before the explosion of Unit-00. She also saw that these two teenagers definitely had developed a bond forged between them today, if not even before.

'They sure seem to care for each other.' Misato thought to herself. But she also had to find out what they had discussed with Kowaru Nagisa. Due to what she had witnessed earlier on the beach.

"So, what did you two talk about with Pilot Nagisa?" She said non-chalant manner.

Rei and Shinji look at each other and with a sight nod from Rei Shinji went to the details of their conversation with the 5th Child. From his interrupting their moon gazing to his mentioning the sync tests tomorrow. Misato nods to each point then sighs as if deliberating a weighty issue in her mind.

Finally, She looked at them and explained to them what she had observed. Of how the 5th Child was an agent of SEELE, the power behind Nerv. Of how he was supposed to become friends with them and seemingly guide you to whatever plan they have for us. "And I don't feel in my gut that that plan will be good for our future health."

The children then did something she had not observed before, they took each other's hand and squeezed caringly. Then Rei spoke, "We will keep this in mind Major." Misato nodded and then Shinji requested for Rei to move into their apartment, offering to have her sleep in his room, while he offered to sleep on the couch.

Misato asked "Why?"

Rei then surprisingly answered, "With the threat of SEELE, wouldn't it be prudent for the pilots to be in one spot to have a more concentrated circle of protection."

"Well except for Asuka (Who's comatose at the Nerv Infirmary) that wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'll have to clear it with the Commander." Misato then got up to call the Commander and see if that was possible.

As Misato is on the Phone Shinji asks Rei, "Why did you back me up in requesting you move here?" He was literally surprised and was planning on using a similar argument on both Misato and Rei. Yet Rei was the one who used it.

Rei looked at Shinji and answered, "The argument is a sound one. But I wanted to … be closer to you now." It seemed ludicrous that Rei would have wanted anything, as Shinji remembered Rei's apartment, and it utterly messy appearance said to him Rei didn't care for or need anything … then. But this eye-opening day's events were changing his mind about her now. "It will depend on what father says." Shinji states to her.

Then a very enthusiastic Misato returned. "Hey guess what guys?" Both pilots look expectantly. "He said Yes!" Misato gave them a thumbs up, and then took a six-pack of Yabisi to celebrate.

Though both Rei and Shinji were happy at the turn of events, they sweat-dropped at the sight of now beer guzzling guardian who was whooping it up at the addition of their new room mate.

"Does she do this often?"

"Only when there's something to celebrate."

And as they saw Misato turn her Stereo/kareoke , she started to sing "I will Survive" in an off key voice. They both sighed and quietly left the major alone to get Rei's meager things from her current room in the Geo-Front.

Gendo's Office

"Was that wise to allow the 1st and the 3rd live in the same location?" Fuiyutski asked.

"As we have seen the 5th has already made contact as expected. And since he has talked to both of the pilots, I think he will fulfill his mission with both of them. " The Commander countered.

"But … aren't you taking a chance that Rei will not follow you when needed."

"I have taken … precautions, Rei will do as I say." Gendo Ikari then smirked behind his hands as the scenario was coming to fruition.

Final Chapter: Confrontations

-It's getting more interesting, so much so that my original 3 chapter length may expand.

So keep an eye out for the next update as the action meter is increasing!