Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Evangelion meets Robotech ❯ Chapter 20

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Robotech: Twenty
 
"What are they doing, Exedore?" Breetai mused, metal gleaming off the giant's faceplate. Together the Zentradi watched as supply ships went back and forth to the SDF-1, even as various images from this planet's broadcasts flickered on various screens.
 
"They appear to be readying to leave," Exedore said calmly, the smaller Zentradi looking up to meet his gaze.
 
"Which is insane," Breetai shook his head, "especially considering what it likely cost them in mecha and troops to get here."
 
Exedore smiled faintly as he reminded his commander, "We are often given orders by the Masters which don't make sense at the time." A faint shrug, "It could be that these micronians have their own version of the masters."
 
"Hmm," Breetai made a non-committal sound from the back of his throat. Tapping his finder restlessly he asked, "Have you made any progress with the broadcasts?"
 
"Some, sir," Exedore conceded, "we've accessed several battle records, a number of which are quite disturbing."
 
Several films came up on various screens, including martial arts pictures, and in most the micronians depicted used energy as casually as a hand weapon. Breetai frowned as he asked, "Is this the effects of Protoculture?"
 
With a grim smile Exedore said, "Unknown, sir. Nor can I say why they have not used such skills in battle."
 
"It would explain that devastating force wave attack they hit us with," Breetai murmured thoughtfully, unknowingly referring to the barrier system overload. With a possibly grimmer look he added, "And what of Khyron?"
 
"Still in custody after his last unauthorized attack on the SDF-1," Exedore replied.
 
"Do they still call him the Backstabber?" Breetai asked bleakly.
 
"Indeed," Exedore nodded. "What would you like to do with him?"
 
"We need to understand this mysterious power of theirs better, Exedore," Breetai mused. With a frown he finally said, "Release Khyron from the brig and restore his troops to full strength. He is leading the next assault."
 
"Is that wise sir?" Exedore dared to ask even as the crew raced to work.
 
"No," Breetai answered, "but it may give us a better gauge of their strength." A pause, "As well as eliminating Khyron, hopefully."
 
"I'll see to it," Exedore bowed.
 
Breetai turned back to the screen, gazing out at Zor's ship to hide any signs of his own confusion. He had battled against this ship for months but he felt no closer to understanding the enigmatic beings who crewed it. The only thing he did know was that they had earned his respect.... that ship and it's valiant captain that he so looked forward to meeting.
 
On the bridge of the SDF-1, Misato sneezed suddenly. "Excuse me," she said, sitting slouched in her captain's chair as usual.
 
"Are you coming down with a cold?" Maya asked, her short, boyishly styled brown hair falling into her eyes.
 
"No," Misato pulled her cap down over black hair.
 
"Then maybe somebody's talking about you," Ritsuko offered, the blonde typing away at one of the bridge stations.
 
"Maybe," Misato grunted.
 
All around them the bridge was busy, young men and women working away. Bridge panels were open as modifications were made, supplies were being tallied and the ongoing preparations for departure continued. Despite the wind outside the ship barely rocked with the waves, internal systems holding it steady as a rock.
 
"Maya, did you enter the pageant yet?" Misato asked.
 
"Yes," Maya sighed, "but I was hoping you'd change your mind."
 
Misato chuckled, "Well, at least you're not the only RDF officer in the pageant."
 
"I was a bit surprised by it being Rei Ayanami," Ritsuko calmly noted, "she just doesn't seem the type, somehow."
 
"My understanding is that the female pilots drew straws to decide,' Makoto said from where the young man was working with a few of the bridge bunnies.
 
"That, I can believe," Maya agreed.
 
Still slouched with her cap concealing her eyes Misato said, "I want two other events factored into the pageant. We'll need to clear it with the shows producers, but I don't see there being any insurmountable problems."
 
"Yes?" Ritsuko asked.
 
With a sigh Misato said, "Right after the pageant is when we make the announcement that we're leaving Earth." She smiled grimly, "I figure that everyone will be in the best mood they're going to get at that point."
 
"Makes sense," Maya nodded thoughtfully, "and what's the other thing, ma'am?"
 
"I'm going to marry you two on live TV," Misato said simply.
 
There was silence for a beat then both Maya and Ritsuko blurted, "What?!"
 
Misato pushed her cap up to reveal faintly amused eyes as she murmured, "I knew you were going to say that."
 
"But why..?" Ritsuko blinked.
 
Misato calmly said, "You two were already planning something big, not to mention how many crew would want to attend."
 
"But not this big," Maya said faintly.
 
Ritsuko steadied her gently, "You all right?"
 
"Just surprised, sempai," Maya murmured.
 
"After I announce that the civilians can't leave they're going to look at the RDF as monsters," Misato sat up, pushing her cap back, "even with Maya and Rei competing. The wedding will at least remind people that we're human beings too, and hopefully prevent anything rash."
 
"Way to lay the guilt on, Captain," Ritsuko put a bitter bite into the final word.
 
"I won't make you do this," Misato said mildly, "I have no right to order you to." Her voice hardened, "But by damned I will do everything in my power to make sure this ship stays a functioning entity until I ca get everyone home."
 
"Again," Makoto added with a sigh.
 
Maya was surprised at the silent appeal in Misato's eyes, then turned to meet Ritsuko's torn gaze. Taking a deep breath she said, "Give us some time to think about it, please. This is a big step up from borrowing the mess hall and getting married there."
 
"Fair enough," Misato nodded. Choosing to change the subject she asked, "Have the volunteer replacement pilots we asked for come aboard?"
 
"I believe the last group should be coming aboard today," Maya said with relief, consulting a schedule on her workstation.
 
"Good," Misato flashed a grin, "I want the new pilots settling down with their wings as quickly as possible. We may need them soon enough."
 
Out on the flight deck a group of officers left the transport, walking into the opening where some of the Evangelion aircraft would launch. Standing out in the crowd was a tall, black haired young man with an oddly serene manner to him. He paused, looking up into the blue sky....
 
"Yo, Kyle!" a fellow pilot called.
 
"Coming," Lynn Kyle, cousin to Lynn Minmei, hurried to rejoin his fellows, following them into the SDF-1 and his new home.
 
To be continued....