Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Genetic Lessons ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The Characters of Evangelion do not belong to me, I'm sorry to say. They belong to Gainax. The rest of the characters, as well as the Global Compact, belong to me. If you want to use them, just make sure to tell me and give credit where it's due.

----------------------------------------------------------

Genetic Lessons: Prologue

By Polar Kodiak

----------------------------------------------------------

The doctor could not believe what she was reading. True, the equipment that she was using was archaic compared to what she was used to. However, as many before her and many in the future would either claim joyously or lament, facts, raw and pure, did not lie.

Despite this, and despite her upbringing to revere the facts as forever unchanging, the doctor still could not accept what was before her. It was a tiny variance; anyone who didn't know exactly what they were searching for would have overlooked it, or dismissed it as a fluke or harmless mutation.

A ghost of a smile found its way onto the doctor's face as that thought came to mind. No, this was no harmless mutation. After all, it could do a great deal of harm if the individual with the Variant fell into the wrong hands. Even worse than that, however, was if the Variant fell into the wrong ideology. That had been learned the hard way.

Glancing once more at the technical readout of the blood sample she had obtained, the woman ripped out the sequence that contained the Variance and dashed out of the office, nearly running over a wheel-chaired man who was wheeling past. After nearly slamming into an orderly who was to give a sponge bath to one of the patients in a nearby room, the frantic doctor found what she had been frantically searching for.

The doorknob was locked. The doctor, too impatient to fumble through the mass of keys in her pocket, kicked open the door with a strength that belied her small frame. The lock tumbled to the floor, broken. Quickly finding a nearby fax machine, she hastily scribbled down the name `Ikari, Shinji' on the paper containing the valuable Variance. She slammed it into the top end of the machine, nearly breaking the communication device. Hastily typing in a phone number, the doctor waited impatiently for the paper to copy the information and send the priceless data to its target at the speed of light.

`Too damn slow,' thought the doctor irritably. `What I wouldn't give for a Space-time Elemental right about now.'

Five seconds after the confirmation that the fax had been sent and received, the doctor's cell phone rang. Whipping it out of her pants pocket, she pressed the `accept' button.

The moment she brought the device to her ear, the man on the other end of the line said simply, "Shinji Ikari?"

"Yes, sir," she replied with military precision and demeanor.

"Variance?"

"Fifth Order, sir."

"Excellent. I will make all the necessary arrangements."

"Thank you, sir."

"Doctor? Do not call me sir."

Before the doctor's response, the line went dead.

"Yes, sir," she mouthed. Just as she did, however, her cell phone rang once more. Puzzled, she brought it back to her ear.

"I told you not to call me sir, Doctor."

There was a soft click as the man on the other line hung up once more. The doctor stared at the phone in amazement. `How does he do that?' the doctor wondered. Exiting the room, the young woman made her way to the maternity ward, deciding not to wait for the elevators filled with chattering doctors and listless patients. Behind her, the door that she had broken down earlier lay on the ground unfixed. The nearby hospital staff stared, baffled.

Checking the list of recent mothers, the doctor glanced over the names until she found the one that she was looking for. `Yui Ikari, room 315.' It didn't take her long to find the room. Politely knocking before entering, the doctor found herself facing two distressed parents.

"What's wrong, Doctor? Why did our nurse send for you? Is there something wrong with Shinji?"

`That must be the husband, Gendo,' the doctor thought, cursing herself for stating the obvious. After she explained to the parents that it was standard procedure that doctors be allowed to check blood samples for mutations, she informed the parents of the Variant that their son was a completely normal and healthy child.

The doctor thought, `At least normal for all that your primitive science can tell you, and that's all that you need to worry about for now. The Compact will soon have one more warrior added to their ranks, and you shall never realize the genetic potential that your son has.'

----------------------------------------------------------

If you would like an appendix/history of the societies, characters, etc. of Legacy of a Traveler (the story that's crossed over with this one) go here and go to the Appendix.