Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Horizon of Eternity ❯ "And so it begins...." ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Horizon of Eternity
by Kurisuchan

Disclaimer: Neon Genesis Evangelion belongs to Gainax and Hideaki Anno. This is simply a piece of fanfiction based on the series. There, I hope I made myself clear about that..

This is my first take at writing fanfiction. Well, a TOTAL OVERHAUL of my first, actually. I decided to rewrite the whole thing because when my hard drive crashed it took all my work with it( not to mention that I virtually left it untouched for nearly a year, and its been about 3 or 4 years since I began writing the fic). Well, I think that's for not making backups. And I suppose that after all that time I could rewrite the story with more fun and sense.

Anyways, on with the fic.

Ja! Hajimemashou!

Prologue: "And so It Begins.."

The land was desolate; the remainder of what used to be a flowing grassland now mile upon mile of cracked, reddish brown earth baking in a desert-harsh sun. Hawks and other birds-of-prey wheeled under an almost ironic, beautiful and bright blue sky, filling the air with lonely hunting cries as they searched for food. Yet at several thousand feet above the Earth, the land was a picture of perfect serenity. The colored earth ran flat and unbroken except for the semi-circle hill formation in the area, as well as the man-made base nestling within its shade.

A brittle stillness that was bound to be shattered.

Within the next few seconds a bright red point of light shone at the heart of the base, brilliant enough to be seen pulsing as far as where the camera was. Within the next few seconds that point grew into a red dome that covered the entire structure. There was one more moment to see that fierce explosion before the reception broke into static noise.

"This was truly a terrible loss." the deep voice came from the darkness as soon as the footage was turned off.

"Indeed. Not only was Unit 04 the prototype for the further development of Unit 05, but we needed to see what the experiment's results were to see if it is worth implementing." another voice drifted from the darkness.

Out of the dark five colored panels suddenly appeared as the men behind them began the discussion for this particular meeting.

"Not only that, but the total cost of creating the Second Branch in America, totalled with the amount spent to create Unit 04 and the cost of the experiment is almost worth the recent extensive repairs on all three Evas that Gendou Ikari has."

Silence descended for a moment as the facts settled in. "Were there no other data or materials that were salvaged from the Second Branch?" another question came from a different man.

"No real loss of data was really incurred. The results of the preliminary testing of Eva 04 is theoretically the same as what we got for Eva 05, and that was the only thing that they were able to do. The real loss is that the experiment did not have the chance to be conducted. The loss of personnel is hardly an issue. All the important persons are either in NERV's main or with us."

"Not to mention that the data of the S2 engine replication system in Germany is already with us. Our engineers are already into it, but what they say is that is still the best model they have seen so far, with the possible exception of the engine that the angels use."

"A scenario we did not anticipate." One of the men mused. "Will this affect the project's schedule?"

"Aside from the possible implemetation of Eva 04's experimental features, there is little by way of effect. As for the rest, we would have to wait and see."

Once again, silence descended as the members of SEELE pondered on the additional facts given. One word was suddenly growled by a member.

"Ikari."

"We have no proof as of yet. However, investigation is currently in progress. Besides this and the aquisition of an S2 engine by Eva 01, as well as the successful return of its pilot, those are the current hindrances he poses to us."

"As well as the aquisition of the remodelled Eva 03." Added another member. "It left for Tokyo 03 just this morning from the Experimental Test Facility in America and is due sometime this afternoon, along with the newly selected Fourth Child."

As if on queue, another screen opened within the dark confines of the meeting place, showing an Evangelion unit very similar to the previous Eva - 03 as it was being readied for airborne transfer.

"It is almost a surprise that the Americans had it ready merely three weeks after the report that the orignal Eva - 03 had been destroyed. Since then they set the former test pilot of the original Evangelion 03 as its official pilot and began pilot training." The man with the thin voice said.

The screen shifted from the Eva to a slim, blonde girl wearing a black plug suit. She was standing behind the railing of some building, apparently gazing at the far away horizon. Her name was flashed under the screen, including a short description.

"Faye Sarra Neumann." One of the members read. "Selected by the Marduk Institution as the new Fourth Child shortly after the original was rendered useless. Besides, given everything, it would have been almost impossible to convince the original Fourth Child to forget everything and pilot an Eva again." The man paused for a moment before continuing. "Apparently, the First Branch in America refused to send her along with the original Eva - 03 because they needed her to test the other Evangelion units America was currently developing. Although for some reason, she was never assigned to test Unit 4." He barked a short laugh. "Now it's no wonder why the Americans were so vehement in blocking the movement for the production of Evangelion 06. They had Eva 03, Eva 04, and the Eva unit scrapped from the previous attempt to create Eva 04 as backup, which was now converted to that Unit."

The screen shifted again from the girl to the Eva.

"Nevertheless, the possession of this Unit won't be much of a problem for us. Unlike the completed Unit 4, this Evangelion was not installed with an S2 engine. Besides, from the data that our informants were able to gather, it seems that the pilot is still below that of those in Tokyo 03. Although she has spent a lot of time as a test pilot, her combat training was not extensive."

"Then she would be useful in helping to delay the angels long enough for us to take a hand." The man with the deep voice said. "How long is our estimate for the project's completion?"

"Three hundred and sixty four days." Answered the thin-voiced member. "Anything else would include unnecessary risk."

"Then it is up to this council to oversee the project so that it would not be so." The deep-voiced man concluded. "This meeting is at an end. If anything else that requires our attention arises, be assured that another meeting will be called."

With that the screen and the five colored panels winked out, leaving behind a darkness that was even more oppresive than before.



**
End of Horizon of Eternity Prologue