Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Sixth ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Author's Pre-Rant -

Got to say a big Domo Arigatougozaimasu to all the people who are reading and reviewing. It is much appreciated. As you may have noticed, some of your comments have precipitated change. Hope it improves the pleasure of reading.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Sixth - The Threat of Shopping?

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

The sun had yet to make it's appearance and a most unusual occurrence was taking place in the EVA Pilot's apartment complex. Asuka Langley Sohryu, designated Second Children and Pilot of Evangelion Unit 02 had decided to wake up early. Her reasons were lost amidst a sea of feelings and emotions that the young woman had decided to work through later. She simply wanted to surprise her Baka Shinji.

With the stealth and grace of a trained gymnast, she slowly made her way to his door. <Baka always gets up early to start breakfast and our lunches. Have to be careful not to wake him.> Grinning, much akin to a predator, she lightly traced a finger tip over the words of the plaque that had become as much a part of their lives as the boy himself.

Asuka carefully slid his door open and made her way inside. The smile fell from her face as she immediately noticed his bed was already made and the boy was nowhere in sight. <How dare he not be here! I go to all the trouble of waking up early and he doesn't even have the common decency to be here.>

Asuka was not normally a paranoid person. At least no more than the next person. But her mind was already constructing scenarios on just where the pervert was. None of them pleased her all that much.

"Wonder girl!" The word was growled. Low and feral.

Discarding the need for secrecy, Asuka slammed the door open and made her way to Rei Ayanami's room. Anger, jealousy and the need to destroy burned brightly within her. Her righteous conviction informing her that what she was about to do was in the best interests of world peace.

Practically ripping the door aside, Asuka was about to unleash her fury at the indecent couple when she noticed something. Rei lay on her bed, beneath her covers in quiet repose.

<She's alone.> Letting a sigh of relief escape her lips, Asuka wondered where he could be.

<No!> Her eyes widened slightly at a rather distasteful thought. <He wouldn't.>

Asuka turned and ran towards her guardians room. <He couldn't> Sliding the door open she quickly glanced inside, expecting the worst. <Who knows what that Tramp would do to him.>

Misato lay sprawled sideways across her futon. Blissfully unaware of the rage building in the young redhead.

"Mmmmm. Shin-chan." Misato moaned in her sleep as she rolled over squeezing her pillow tight.

Asuka sweat dropped. <I really don't want to know what goes on in her mind.>. Shaking her head to hopefully erase the disturbing images, Asuka began her search of the apartment.

Moments Later

"Misato. Wake up. Shinji's missing." Asuka alerted the supposed guardian of the household.

"Asuka, go back to sleep, we're not finished …." Misato woke from her dream to find a visibly upset Asuka in her doorway.

"Misato, I don't want to know just what it was you were hoping to finish but Shinji is missing." Asuka was doing her utmost to restrain the patronizing tone in her voice.

Misato searched through a pile of clothing to drag out her mobile phone. Hitting the auto-dial, she got to her feet and left her room, immediately heading for Shinji's room.

Asuka in turn decided that if she was going to be awake at this ungodly hour of the morning then the First Children was going to share in her discomfort.

"Time to get up Wonder girl. Baka Shinji's missing." Asuka called as she once again entered the blue haired girls room. Expecting to see the First Children either still fast asleep or struggling to get out of bed, Asuka was surprised to see the girl standing calmly inspecting a hand held control unit. "Wonder girl, did you hear me. Shinji's missing. You know, the perverted idiot of the house."

Rei calmly looked over at the fiery Second Children and then returned her attention to the display in her hand. "Pilot Sohryu, Shinji is not missing." With that simple statement, Rei exited her room and walked down the corridor to the apartment front entrance.

"What the hell are you talking about First. He's not in his room, the kitchen, laundry or bathroom. And I know he wasn't with you or Misato, so where is he?" Asuka stated with just a touch of superiority.

Rei pointed to the front door. "Shinji will be at the front door," she glanced at the display, "in approximately 12 seconds."

Asuka gaped at the girl. <How in the hell?>

"Asuka, Section 2's latest surveillance report has Shinji returning to the apartment." Misato said as she exited Shinji's room, carrying another of his shirts. "Oh, morning Rei. Waiting for Shinji?"

"Yes." Rei responded as the front door slid open, revealing an already dressed Shinji carrying two bags of groceries.

Removing his shoes, Shinji glanced up to find his three room mates watching him. Misato was smiling in her casual manner, Asuka was angry and Rei held a slight trace of amusement. All things normal except the fact that he had never seen them awake this early.

"Good morning. Is there a reason why you're all up?" Shinji knew he had to tread carefully here. Being the only male, he felt slightly intimidated at having all three women staring at him.

"Baka!" Asuka screamed. "Where do you think you've been?"

"I had to get some things for breakfast and lunch, Asuka. The fridge hardly had anything worth mentioning in it." While the excuse was valid, Shinji had learned over time that minor things like the truth rarely held sway with Asuka. "Also I had to pick up a six-pack for Misato. After the party last night there wasn't any left for her and Pen-Pen."

Misato squealed with joy as she leapt at Shinji and kissed him on the cheek. "I knew my Shin-chan wouldn't let me down. He knows how to treat a lady."

Asuka glared at the woman, "Baka."

Shinji looked at Asuka and cringed slightly. <Not good. Her eyebrows twitching.>. "Yes Asuka?"

"Kitchen. Food. Now!" Asuka pointed in the direction of the kitchen as she relayed her orders.

"Yes Ma'am." Shinji sighed. <No. Nothing ever changes.>

Shinji could feel the shivers running the length of his spine as he fell into the swing of food preparation. He could feel the eyes of his three companions watching his every movement. His nervousness was masked by the almost 'Ritual-Habitual' grace of someone who has performed a task nearly all their life. With his body running on autopilot, Shinji took the time to wonder just what was going on. <'Asuka likes her sausage crispy but not burnt.' Why are they awake this early? 'Can't use the same spatula for Rei's spicy tomato omelette'. Why are they watching me like that? 'Misato likes Tabasco sauce in her egg rolls'.> His thoughts were a mixture of searching questions and cooking for three unique people with three very different palates.

Unbeknownst to the young lad, the three women were happy to just watch him perform his task. There were no wasted movements as he prepared their breakfasts and school lunches. A common thread whispering in the minds of each of them.

<This is what it's like to have someone care about you. For who you are. Not what you are or what you can do for them.>

As Shinji began to dish out the food it did not go unnoticed that he did not prepare a specific meal for himself as he did them. Instead, he had a selection from each meal, creating a rather unique concoction. It also did not seem to be enough, especially for a growing teenage boy.

"Shinji, is that all you're having?" Misato asked as she shovelled her food and guzzled her beer.

"Yeah, pretty much." Shinji replied as he began to eat.

"Shinji, you're rail thin. It can't be healthy." Misato declared.

"Says the woman with 80 proof blood." Asuka added

"Actually Katsuragi-san, the calorie content and nutritional value of Shinji's meal is more than adequate for his needs." Rei commented.

"I still don't think it's healthy. He needs more meat on his bones." Misato muttered to herself.

"And have him end up like you?" Asuka remarked with a sly grin.

"Are you saying I'm fat?" Misato demanded.

"Not at all. It's perfectly natural for a woman of your years to begin showing the effects of," Asuka paused thoughtfully, "GRAVITY!" Asuka laughed.

"I am not sagging." Misato was starting to get upset. "Shinji, am I starting to sag?" Misato thrust her breasts forward for emphasis. "You can tell me."

"I uhh." Shinji tried his best to look at anything other than what Misato was thrusting in his direction.

"What about my butt?" Misato was slightly worried about this. While her dietary habits were poor, although Shinji had tempered those to a degree, she prided herself on her physical appearance.

"Uhm I errr." Shinji wondered how bright a human being had to blush before they passed out.

"Yeah Baka. Tell her. Tell Misato about her gravity challenged body." Asuka continued to laugh.

Just as Shinji felt the need to be far far away, Misato lost her temper and directed her own verbal taunt at the German girl.

"Don't laugh too hard Asuka-CHAN!" Misato spat. "I've seen your latest physical data. If anyone's starting to get 'chubby', it's you."

"CHUBBY?!" Asuka slammed her hands on the table.

Shinji, Rei and Pen-Pen opted for a safe retreat as the war of words escalated into an all out food fight.

"Do you think they care that I'm the one who has to clean up?" Shinji wondered aloud. He glanced at the girl beside him and noticed something. "Rei. Is that my shirt?"

"Yes Shinji." Rei touched the shirt, running her fingers over the fabric. "Katsuragi-san, Pilot Sohryu and myself were forced into appropriating parts of your wardrobe during your absence."

"Don't worry about it Baka, you can have them back once you finish all the laundry that built up." Asuka said as she walked into the living room. While not completely covered in food, it was a near thing.

"Misato followed, squeezing excess liquid from her shirt. "I don't know. I kind of like the stuff I pilfered."

Shinji began wondering just how the two women could be at one another's throats one minute and calmly discussing stealing his clothes the next "But I need my clothes. What do you expect me to do, walk around half naked?" Shinji exclaimed.

The pause that followed his words did not instil him with confidence.

"Shopping?" Asuka asked turning to Misato.

"Shopping!" Misato confirmed with a grin.

"Shopping?" Shinji felt slightly ill.

"Shopping." Rei agreed.

"Waark" Pen-Pen offered. (Warm Water Penguin Translation Service - You poor poor bastard. You have my deepest sympathies.)

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

"Here you go Baka." Asuka casually handed her school bag to Shinji.

"Huh. What's this for Asuka?" Shinji stared at the object, yet it offered no clue to it being in his possession.

Asuka rolled her eyes. "Listen. While you were in hospital loafing, Wonder girl and I drew straws for who gets to be the servant to the other two pilots." Asuka mouthed the words 'Just Play Along' to Rei.

"Drew straws? Hang on, I wasn't even here. How come I lost?" Although he had a sneaking suspicion on the how.

"I drew for you in your absence." Asuka beamed.

Shinji looked suspiciously at the girl trying to ascertain the validity of her statement. "Is this true Rei?"

Rei looked at the boy. She still had some difficulties with the concept of humour, but understood the Second's motives. <She seeks to lighten the mood.> "Pilot Sohryu is correct Shinji."

"Really?" Shinji was sure that it was just another of Asuka's games.

"Are you doubting me?" Asuka demanded as she thrust her face scant millimetres from his.

"Of course not Asuka. It's just …" Seeing that his only alternative to conceding defeat was to have Asuka provide him with a lesson in the martial sciences, he opted for his usual method of escape. "I'm sorry."

"Good boy. Now heel." Asuka commanded and began the walk to school.

"Here Rei. Give me your school bag." Shinji asked.

Rei handed him the bag and fell in step with him. "Shinji, you are aware of the deception, yet you comply and allow the charade to continue. Why?"

Shinji smiled, "No, it's okay. I don't really mind."

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Classroom

"Yesss!" Touji and Kensuke high fived each other.

"What!" Asuka shouted. "What do you mean 'Merge the boys PE Class with the girls swimming class. I refuse to allow those perverts anywhere near us in our swimsuits. It's bad enough with them ogling us from the basketball courts." Asuka was pointing at the trio of Touji, Kensuke and Shinji. Touji and Kensuke were already discussing just how such an event could be turned to their benefit while Shinji had gone deathly pale.

"Miss Sohryu. Do you mean to tell me that Oyadama Sensei is not allowed to attend the birth of his first child simply because you do not wish to share the pool with the male half of our class?" The elderly sensei had developed a unique understanding with Asuka. He would provide the direction and guidance as befitted his station as a teacher and she would object.

"Of course not." Asuka replied.

"Then your only objection is the fact that Suzuhara-kun, Aida-kun and Ikari-kun are perverts?" The Sensei smirked.

"No. All boys are perverts. They're just the worst ones." Asuka pointed out.

"Do the rest of the young woman feel this way?" Asuka was surprised that the majority of the girls were quite happy to have the boys join them. In fact she was certain she heard whispers regarding Shinji. "I believe the class has spoken Miss Sohryu."

"I still don't have to like it." Asuka muttered as she sat back down. <Even the girls perverted.>

"No one can force you to like something Miss Sohryu. But you will attend the class regardless." The elderly man could not suppress his mirth and satisfaction at the event.

***

NERV Command Centre

"I'm surprised you managed to turn up to work Misato. They way you were going last night, I thought you'd still be in bed." Ritsuko wondered with mock awe.

"I would have but Asuka came looking for Shinji." Misato blushed as soon as she said it.

"Misato. You didn't." Ritsuko said, shock evident on her face.

"No." Misato blush gained in intensity.

Ritsuko narrowed her eyes and stared thoughtfully at her friend. "You're hiding something Misa-chan."

"I did not sleep with Shinji last night." Misato suddenly found the contents of her coffee cup extraordinarily interesting.

"But…" Ritsuko prompted.

"I might have had an interesting dream is all. And Asuka might have overheard me talking in my sleep." Misato mumbled

"Misato, You need help." Ritsuko said as she shook her head. "But on a completely different subject to having an indecent relationship with the Pilot of Unit 01" Ritsuko smirked.

"What, Ms.-I-Used-to-date-the-emotionless-bastard-Akagi. "Misato grumbled.

Ignoring Misato's jibe, Ritsuko continued. "The three EVA Pilots are required for a full battery of Synch Tests tomorrow."

"Huh. Already. Shinji just got out of hospital. It's too early Ritsu-chan." Misato pleaded.

"I have to agree Misato. But the decision came from on high." Ritsuko shrugged wearily.

"The Bastard King himself." Misato said darkly.

Ritsuko only nodded.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Swimming Pool

"Man would you look at her body, she's got it all. What do you think Shinji?" Kensuke, camera attached to his hand, filming the 'Student Body'', not wanting to miss a moment.

"Hey Shinji, you alright man? You look a little out of it." Touji paused in his own observations to spare a glance at his friend.

"Uhh sure. Fine. Couldn't be better. Can you guys excuse me for a moment, I need to talk to the Sensei." Before either lad could comment, Shinji had left, heading in the direction of the female PE Teacher.

"Wonder what's up with him." Touji wondered before his attention was drawn back to the sights before him.

"The usual. Devil. Ayanami." Kensuke responded as he zoomed in on said redhead and albino. "Man, they're personalities suck, but they're bodies are killer."

"Excuse me, Sensei." Shinji interrupted the teacher as she tried valiantly to restore order to her class.

"Yes Ikari-kun. Make it quick, I'm kind of busy here." The swimming instructor managed to say. While in her early thirties, the strenuous regimen of physical activity had toned her body.

"I, uhm, don't know how to swim." Shinji kept his voice low so only the teacher would hear it.

Mrs Megumi Tachibana paused in her lecture, not that any of the students were listening, to stare almost in disbelief at the young man before her. "You don't know how to swim?"

Shinji shook his head, "I never learned how. And with the way things are with….." Shinji paused. While it was common knowledge that he was an EVA Pilot, he wasn't supposed to talk about it. "Well, after I came to Tokyo-3, there never seemed to be the opportunity to learn."

Tachibana Sensei sighed. "Look, in all honesty I don't have the time to teach you here and now. Just sit in the shade somewhere and do some study. Or stare at the girls like the rest of the boys." Dismissing the boy, she returned to her attempts at restoring order in her domain.

Rei observed Shinji's discussion with the teacher. Shinji's body language and the shock displayed by the teacher were key factors that something important had occurred. <He appears apprehensive. More so than usual. What is wrong Shinji?>

"The world just doesn't seem to change, does it Hikari?" Asuka muttered as she observed both Shinji's impromptu meeting with the teacher and Wonder girl watching Shinji.

"What do you mean Asuka?" Hikari's voice had a distracted tone about it that drew Asuka's attention. Hikari Horaki, Class Representative, was busy watching her boyfriend pose on the diving board at the other end of the pool.

"Gott Hikari. Take a photo or something. Better yet, go to the zoo and take a photo. Plenty of monkey's there to." Asuka spared exactly 0.8 of a second before revulsion kicked in and she had to turn away from the dumb jock's male posturing.

"Sohryu-san. Ayanami-san. Front and centre. It's paired time trials. Long distance" The teacher yelled over the general chaos.

Asuka grinned as she mounted the second starting block while Rei did likewise on the first. "Wonder girl. You are about to witness just how spectacular I truly am." Asuka turned to where she had seen Shinji. "Hey Baka! Are you going to watch my victory over the First or what?"

Shinji looked over to where Asuka was. He also noticed that he was at the centre of attention for his entire class. His head sunk as Asuka signalled her victory with the 'V' sign. Snickering ensued as the class began gossiping about the three Pilots and the relationships they shared. <Things are never easy.> Shinji thought.

The first lap was neck and neck. Twelve laps later and there was still no discernable difference between the two competitors. Asuka would gain a lead only to lose it at the next turn and vice-versa.

"Are you getting this on tape Aida-kun?" Hikari asked the youth as she stood next to Touji.

"Every last bit." He replied as he continued to focus on the race.

"I gotta hand it to Ayanami and the Devil. They can swim." Touji said, trying to control the awe he felt. He prided himself about his athletic ability. But he couldn't help but approve of the display of swimming prowess of the two girls regardless of his personal feelings.

"Hey Shinji, is it some sort of special training they give EVA Pilots?" Kensuke queried.

"Not that I'm aware of." Shinji responded. He was doing his best to keep as much space between himself and the pool edge as possible.

The rest of the class were gathered in groups around the pool, cheering for the two competitors. Even though the two girls racing had not developed friendships with many of them.

"Final Lap." The teacher called out .

Kensuke made sure his focus and zoom were set, the fact that both Asuka and Rei were still neck and neck meant it may come down to a photo finish.

Hikari began cheering wildly for her best friend as they both put on a final burst for the finish line.

"So who won Ken?" Touji slapped his friend on the shoulder.

"Was it Asuka?" Hikari exclaimed as she pressed into Touji. She felt her cheeks burning at just how his broad back felt against her own petite frame.

Kensuke studied the recorders playback of the race..

Even the two swimmers, resting against the pool wall glanced over with some interest.

A series of sweat drops began appearing on the boy as his complexion paled slightly.

Touji nudged his friend. "Who won? We're all waiting."

Smiling wanly, Kensuke turned and noticed the keen interest that was cantered on him. Scratching the back of his head, "The uhm battery gave out. I'll have to see how much of the footage I can restore back in the AV Room."

Touji slapped him across the back of the head.

The onlookers all sighed in disappointment.

Shinji smiled. "But it was a really good race." He began applauding the efforts of the two girls, igniting a round of cheers from the rest of their classmates.

Touji grinned, "Yeah it was. But I think that perhaps you should personally help your girlfriends out of the pool."

Kensuke caught on immediately. "I concur."

Both youths grabbed their friend and in no time whatsoever had his shirt off and had hoisted him in the air by his arms and legs.

"One." They both cried.

"No. Don't." Shinji yelled.

"Two." They swung his light frame back.

"But I….." Shinji struggled.

"Three." On the swing forward Touji and Kensuke released him, hurling him into the water.

"I CAN'T SWIM!" Shinji screamed as he plunged into the water.

Those three simple words struck Asuka and Rei like a physical blow. The smile fell from Asuka's face and a sweeping sense of dread fell across both girls. <Can't Swim. Can't Swim. Can't Swim. SHINJI!>

Rei's eyes momentarily widened as she watched Shinji disappear beneath the surface. <Something is here. Foreboding. Dark. Familiar.> Pushing herself off the wall, Rei began swimming towards the spot where Shinji had fallen beneath the surface..

Asuka regained her senses and made her way to now submerged figure.

***

Shinji opened his eyes to find himself floating in a grey expansive void. "What the ?"

<<MINE>>

Shinji turned to find a dark cloud churning behind him. The 'Voice' had emanated from within the darkness.

Shinji felt himself moving. It took a moment to realise he was drifting towards the cloud. As he looked down he could almost discern shapes within the darkness. Huge, terrifying shapes. Somehow similar to the Angels, but the sense was far more malignant. Where the Angels purpose was never fully clear, there had been no real sense of hate or animosity. What Shinji felt now was terrifying. Something, no, many something's were directing their dark, murderous thoughts at him. He knew without understanding that these forces wanted his life. They desired his agony. Shinji shuddered.

<<My Love>> the dark oppressive hatred vanished. His eyes beheld a creature of absolute darkness. No light reflected from it's form. Instead it's very presence seemed to devour the light around it. Shinji felt his body freeze. His body no longer obeyed him. The form drifted towards him, he couldn't be sure but it appeared to continually change and shift it's shape as it neared him. <<My poor fractured Messiah>> a tendril caressed his cheek. Even though his body was not his own, he felt his nerves burn from the touch. The bile in his stomach threatened to erupt from his mouth but he could barely breathe.

"Who - are - you?" Shinji managed to spit the words out from between clenched teeth as more of the dark tendrils clamoured over his body.

Laughter was the only response. Laughter that carried no joy, only menace. Shinji felt something sharp knick his face. He felt a slow trickle of blood make it's way down his cheek. <<Will you love me, my darling?>> Shinji felt another cut appear on his chest.

<The voice, it keeps changing> Shinji felt the panic overtake him as he was slowly absorbed by the shifting darkness. As it enveloped him he felt his body suffer numerous wounds, some he knew to be serious.

The darkness poured in through his nose and mouth. His lungs burned as the darkness filled them. He was assaulted by feelings of despair and emptiness. The darkness offered to remove him from the pain. <No, I cannot die. I want …>

<<You will want for nothing. Join with me. I can be your every desire>> Shinji suddenly found himself surrounded by the women he lived with, cared for. They each held their hands out to him, their eyes pleading for him to join with them.

<No. It's not them. You can't offer me something that's not yours to give.> Shinji tried to resist.

<<Maybe I can't give them to you but I can take them away.>> Shinji watched on in horror as one by one his most cherished people were dismembered. Their screams of pure agony ripped through him.

<No …. No ….. NOOOOOOOOOO> Shinji's rage burst from his mind. His blood boiled and ran from his numerous wounds. Not knowing what he was doing he grabbed at the darkness and began to tear and bite at it. His mind, lost to the savage within him, did not hear the cries of pain from the darkness surrounding him.

<<How is this possible? How can he do this? Stop it. Stop it.>> The darkness faltered from the unexpected assault.

Shinji continued his murderous attack. His only thought to inflict hurt on the dark.

As the darkness slowly began to fade, Shinji felt his rage do likewise. Succumbing to the pain from his injuries he began to lose consciousness.

<<Isn't it sweet. The pathetic scared little boy has people who care about him. Too bad that you'll have to watch them die.>> Shinji felt a cold chill pass through him

<Who are you?>

<<Soon>> The voice trailed off into the void.

His vision exploded as arms burst through the void and dragged him from beneath the surface of the water.

Coughing and spluttering, Shinji opened his eyes to find Rei and Asuka hauling him to the side of the pool.

"Stop struggling Shinji. Schiesse." Asuka muttered as her grip tightened slightly.

"Shinji, are you okay?" Rei asked.

Shinji offered a small smile to both girls, "Different to LCL." He managed to say before the stunned onlookers began surrounding the trio.

Asuka chuckled and shook her head slightly. "Baka."

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"So let me get this straight." Misato was reclining on the couch next to Shinji while Pen-Pen rested comfortably in her lap. "Shinji's friends,"

"Stooges." Asuka interjected.

"Nearly killed him." Misato's brow furrowed momentarily at the thought. "Leaving you and Rei save him."

"The beautiful damsels come to the rescue of the knight in shining armour." Asuka spared the boy a smirk.

"Shinji, What is the problem? I think I'll put a leash on you and keep you with me. It seems you get into trouble just by leaving the apartment." Misato wasn't angry at the young man, who had sat quietly during the re-telling. Just concerned.

"They didn't know Misato-san. It's not their fault." Shinji had to defend his friends. "They spent the rest of the day at the Principle's office. They nearly got expelled." Only Shinji's plea to the school Principle had saved his friends academic career.

Rei, who had patiently sat in silence, decided to make a suggestion. "To ensure a repeat of today's events does not occur, I believe it is in Shinji's best interests to have swimming lessons."

"I suppose I can lower myself to showing Baka Shinji how to swim." Asuka added with the dramatic flair of a tragic heroine.

"I would not mind instructing Shinji in the correct techniques." Rei countered.

Misato grinned. "So Shin-chan. Who would you like as your 'Sensei'?"

Shinji felt a small bead of sweat begin the arduous journey from the back of neck and down his spine, which had decided to take a vacation. Looking at the expectant visages of the two girls in question only served to heighten the foreboding sense of impending doom.

Asuka began tapping her left foot as the silence continued. Her irritation levels were rapidly rising. Before she could launch into her verbal tirade, she was beaten by the most unusual of sources.

"Do you not want to learn how to swim, Shinji?" Rei asked with a slight frown.

Shinji's eyes widened slightly. "No Rei. It's not that. It's just…." Shinji tried to find the words that would express the inner turmoil he was suffering from. His shoulders slumped in defeat. <I only want them to be happy. Even it means I'm not.>

Misato smiled at the dejected lad. "Well that settles it."

Asuka, Shinji and Rei turned to face the 'Adult' of the 'Family'.

"I'll teach my Shin-chan 'Everything' he needs to know." Misato smirked directly at Asuka and Rei.

Rei's eyes narrowed slightly at the implications of Misato's statement.

Asuka ground her teeth and clenched her fist, making the knuckles crack.

Shinji, having spent enough time with both young women saw the danger signs and offered the only resolution he could.

"Well, how about we make an outing of it. Asuka, you could invite Hikari. Misato-san, you could ask Ritsuko-san and the bridge crew." Shinji carefully omitted the fact he would invite Touji and Kensuke. Asuka was on edge as it was.

Misato pouted, Rei frowned and Asuka grunted.

<At least they won't attack each other.> Shinji thought with some relief.

"Well it won't be tomorrow, that's for sure." Misato commented.

"Duhh. We've got school Misato." Asuka responded sarcastically.

"Nope, not tomorrow." Misato leaned back into the couch. Her eyes took on a glazed, unfocused quality. "The Commander has scheduled a full set of Activation, Harmonics and Synch tests. You'll be busy at NERV most of the day."

Asuka simply raised an eyebrow and quickly glanced at Shinji. <Is he ready for something like that? Schiesse he's shaking!>

Rei watched Shinji's response. The simple mention of the Commander, his Father, caused him to flinch. Further mention of the tests resulted in a slight trembling. <He fears EVA. No, not EVA. He fears hurting others as a result of Piloting EVA.>

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence - Later that night

Misato yawned as she blindly groped her way through the darkened apartment towards the kitchen. She hadn't eaten much at dinner, no one had. The silence and depressed atmosphere had dampened their appetites. But now she felt peckish.

Misato's attention was caught by the curtains billowing in the living room. <Why's the balcony door open?> She wondered idly.

Steeping out onto the balcony Misato found Shinji sitting with his back against the wall, looking up at the night sky.

"Whatcha doin Shin-chan?" Misato asked cheerily as she sat down beside him.

"Thinking." His voice sounded hollow, almost empty.

"What about?" The cheery tone slipped a notch.

Shinji's head drooped and he stared at the city lights off in the distance. He drew his knees up to his chest, attempting to almost withdraw himself from his surroundings.

"Shinji." Misato whispered.

Still nothing. No response. Misato reached out and enveloped him in a her arms, holding him tight. <Even now. After all this time. You still shut me out. You still tremble at contact.>

"Shinji. Please don't push me away. I'm here. I….", Misato paused as she struggled to control the riptide of emotions she felt, "You mean a lot to me Shinji. I don't want to lose you."

Shinji grasped Misato's hand and gently squeezed. "I just don't want to kill anyone anymore Misato-san. I don't want to be a murderer anymore." Shinji choked on the last words as tears began flowing.

"Shinji. You're not a murderer. You saved so many people. People who will never know how kind and gentle you really are." Misato wanted to hold him for as long as it took for his psychological wounds to heal..

"I killed him Misato-san. I killed him and…" Shinji was unable to continue.

"He was the enemy Shinji. You had to. He told you. You or him. You did the right thing. The Angels …" Misato was interrupted by the young boy.

"The Angels are gone. Who is the enemy now? I won't fight against other human beings Misato-san. There's no reason for EVA to remain." Shinji whispered.

"What if Jet Alone or the Trident series of Mecha fell into the hands of terrorists Shinji. EVA still has a use. And as one of the few Pilots…."

"You'll order me to fight. Order me to kill. What about Rei. Would you order me to attack Rei? To kill her? Simply because of her background." Shinji struggled desperately to break Misato's hold. His disgust with EVA, NERV and himself fuelling his irrational behaviour.

"No Shinji. I would never ask you to attack Rei. I won't order you to attack or kill anyone." Misato continued to hold him until he settled down once more. "But Shinji, If we're attacked. I'd want you to defend yourself. To protect Asuka and Rei." Misato's voice dropped to a whisper, "To protect me."

The pair stayed like that for some time. Attempting to come to terms with how they felt. Not just about each other, but about where they were in life and what they wanted.

***

Office of The Supreme Commander of NERV

"The modifications to Unit 01's Entry Plug are complete, Sir. The new components are installed and appear operational. Tomorrow's test will determine the level of success." Doctor Subaru informed the stoic individual seated in front of her. "The specimen sample was most intriguing."

"Very well Doctor, you are dismissed." Gendou betrayed no unnecessary movement or emotion as he watched the Doctor exit his office. Care had to be taken if 'His' endgame was to succeed.

Activating his desk display, he observed the final preparations for the tests tomorrow. The faint smile that flashed across his face a portent of things to come.

End Chapter the Sixth

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Concerning Asuka/Misato feuding. I tend to see them as sisters (I have three. Two older, one younger. They can argue at the drop of a hat and stop just like that. Uncanny). They tend to squabble a fair bit over inconsequential things, but when the chips are down they band together (usually against me or any other male). Also, I think Misato realises just how difficult it is for Asuka to open up to others considering her past. Possibly Misato enjoys arguing with Asuka just as much as she enjoys teasing Shinji. Well maybe not that much.

Before you all start assuming this is your standard "No more Angels, Lets use Devils/Demons" It's not. I am only using what Anno instilled into the EVA-verse. The Darkness Shinji encountered is a part of that realm (with my own twist). Let's face it, of the 17 Angels, which ones were left?

Ja Ne