Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Seventh ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Author's Pre-Rant -

Finally got a review that mentioned my grammar and spelling errors. Much appreciated. I'm trying to clean it up a little but the majority of this is written between 3 - 5 in the morning. (Yes, such ungodly hours do exist). Perhaps I need a proof reader/pre-reader to keep me honest. Let me know what you think.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Seventh - Watching His Father Walk Away

Office of The Supreme Commander of NERV

"Your report Doctor Akagi." Gendou Akagi noted the traces of weariness and fatigue etched into the woman's feature's. He suppressed the desire to smirk. The woman now threw herself into her work. Not to impress or gain his favour. No, not anymore. Simply put, she had nothing else. He had removed the one slim chance she had that he would return her feelings. That he would love her. <The foolish woman is as pathetic as that 'Old Hag' Mother of hers.>

Ritsuko composed herself, fortifying her mental barriers, binding her emotions. She could ill afford to show weakness in front of this man. <So much left unsaid. So much left undone. Is this how you felt in the end Mother? Unfulfilled?> The realisation that she would never eclipse her mother's achievements, never break free of the shadow she lived in, was slowly undermining her sanity. Ritsuko knew enough about human psychology to recognise what was happening to herself. The only brief respite from the pain that ate at her constantly was when she spent time with the ones that appreciated her. Misato, Maya. Even the Children, although she knew that both Rei and Asuka disliked her intensely and Shinji was often wary around her. <Can't say I blame them.>

"Sir, the three units are connected and the new telemetry systems have been tested and installed." Ritsuko's eyes never wavered from the point just to the upper left of Gendou's shoulder. She did not wish to even attempt eye contact, not that his tinted glasses ever revealed much of anything.

"Very well Doctor, you are dismissed." He had already read the report on the instrument upgrades and test results. Having the Doctor report things in person was just another of his many mind games.

"There is one more item I would like to discuss. Modifications to Unit 01's entry plug and Pilot interface module have happened, yet I have no information on what the ramifications of such developments will have." Ritsuko had tried to search the system for any scrap of information on who had instigated the modifications and just what it was they had done. The files had been removed. No attempt had been made to even cover their tracks.

"That is no concern of yours Doctor. All modifications were done at my request." The fail safes installed in the MAGI System had alerted him to the Doctor's snooping. The backdoor she had used was not as secret as she probably hoped.

"Understood Commander." Ritsuko turned and left. <Perhaps I'll head to Misato's for breakfast.> Ritsuko smiled slightly. She enjoyed observing the antics of her best friends household. It was entertainment of the highest order.

In his office, Gendou Ikari flexed his right hand. His eyes narrowed as he focused his full attention on what lay beneath the glove that sheathed it, what it would herald.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

Asuka stepped into the slightly hot water in the bath tub. As he did most morning's, Shinji had risen early, had his own bath, prepared the two bath tubs for both Asuka and Rei and then began preparing breakfast. Normally he would also prepare lunch, but not today. Today they would have to brave the bland fare of NERV's cafeteria.

<Human beings really are creatures of habit.> Asuka mused as she lowered herself slowly into the steaming water. <Every morning we get up at virtually the same time and take a bath. Go to the kitchen and eat breakfast. Why?> She began her standard morning ritual of selecting a range of aromatic bath oils and scented soaps. <Is it because he prepares it for us?> She began the laborious task of rinsing her hair. While most of her hygiene was performed Japanese style, she still enjoyed washing her hair in the bath. Allowing the water to cleanse her spirit some, Asuka smiled as her thoughts turned towards today's activation tests. <Mama, I have so much to tell you.>

***

Rei began disrobing, preparing her for her morning bath. <Today I will be reunited with EVA. Once it was all I had. All I was allowed. Was it my bond? My bond to those around me?> Staring at her reflection in the mirror, she once again looked over her facial features. <I resemble her. I am not her. I am myself.> Reaching up, Rei ran a finger slowly over her reflection's eye's. <Red. The colour I hate.>. Continuing her self inspection, her fingers slowly traced up to her hair. <Blue. Colour of the sky. Yet even that is a result of light filtering through the atmosphere, merely an illusion. Am I as fake as the sky?>

Turning from the mirror Rei began her routine of dishing the hot water from the bath tub and dowsing herself. <No. I am I. I will live for the ones who have gone before me,> Memories of the first and second incarnations of Rei float across her mind's landscape. <for those who were never truly alive,> Images of the Dummy Plug Control room. The tank filled with 'spare parts', replacements of herself. <for myself,> Memories that were her own, not second hand whispers of things she had never done. <and for him.> The last image filled her with a sense of calm. The image of a young man smiling at her.

***

Shinji was putting the finishing touches to his culinary creations as the rest of the household began to appear.

"Morning Shin-chan." Shinji glanced up and smiled as best he could.

"Good morning Misato-san." Misato was already dressed in her standard black dress and red command jacket.

Misato took her time to carefully observe him while his attention was focused on serving the food. Noting that slightly more tense movements had replaced the more fluid motion he had when in the kitchen. <He's still thinking about it. He's trying to hide it. But I know him too well. Just adding another ball of pain to the pile, aren't you Shinji.> Deciding that teasing him would soon lighten his pensive mood, Misato prepared to sneak up behind him and apply herself to the task as only she could.

"Tramp." Misato paused in her 'Shinji-Stalking' and turned slowly to find Asuka, clad in casual attire, watching her with narrowed eyes. "Just what are you doing?"

Misato grinned, the sweat trickling down her face. "Oh nothing Asuka. Just seeing if Shinji needed any help."

Asuka walked to the table and took her usual seat, "I don't think the Baka needs 'that' sort of help Misato."

Blissfully unaware of what had just transpired, Shinji turned back to the kitchen table, "Oh, Good morning Asuka."

"Morning Baka." Asuka immediately began devouring her food.

Shinji knew that her metabolism was high so he always ensured she had enough to get her through, at least until lunch. After all, a hungry Asuka was an irritable Asuka. An irritable Asuka was a definite hazard to Shinji Ikari.

Misato warily took her place when the door chime sounded. "Can someone answer that, I don't want the food to burn."

Misato and Asuka glanced at each other, hoping that the other would act on Shinji's request.

"Do not concern yourself Shinji. I will answer the door." Shinji paused in his cooking to acknowledge Rei's assistance.

"Thank you Rei. Breakfast will be ready soon."

Rei nodded and spared him a brief smile before disappearing around the corner.

"I wonder who'd be here at this time of the day?" Misato continued to observe Shinji, noting his posture and movements. <Kami, How'' he going to handle a full day of tests?>

"Morning Misato. Asuka Shinji-kun."

The trio turned to find Ritsuko Akagi entering the kitchen.

"Morning Rits-chan, What brings you here?" Misato felt slightly ambivalent about her friends sudden appearance.

"Actually, I was hoping you could spare some breakfast. I've found that my stomach disagrees with the cafeteria food these days." Ritsuko immediately lit a cigarette and drew deeply.

"Shin-chan? Can you whip something up for Rits-chan here?" Misato attempted her best pleading voice.

"Sure. Anything in particular Ritsuko-san?" Shinji looked over his shoulder at the woman.

"As long as it's not what Misa-chan's having it should be fine Shinji-kun." Ritsuko replied.

Misato began eating while muttering between bites.

Shinji soon dished up the remaining food for his 'Family' and their guest.

Ritsuko noticed that instead of eating, Shinji simply sipped a mug of tea.

"Shinji-kun. The tests today will take a while and probably be physically draining. You should eat something."

"I don't really feel all that hungry. I don't like being in LCL for most of the day on a full stomach. I always feel queasy." Shinji chuckled slightly, "You'd think I'd be used to it after all this time. For a while there, I was LCL."

The four women present glanced at each other knowingly. Today would be a very long day.

***

NERV Headquarters - EVA Test Area

Misato and Ritsuko watched as the three Pilots left for the change rooms.

"Shinji-kun seemed fairly tense. Almost as tense as you Misato." Ritsuko was concerned. Misato was essentially the Director of Operations, directly in charge of the three most powerful weapons on the planet. Indecision was her greatest threat.

Misato nodded. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes and slipped into her command persona. "I'll have to worry about it later Ritsuko. I've got three Pilots who need to focus today. It wouldn't do if their commanding officer spent all her time fretting. They know the drill."

Ritsuko smiled. <You've always been good at masking your true self Misato. We're too similar for our own good.> "Let's go then Major Katsuragi."

"Right with you Doctor Akagi." This little discussion seemed to clear the air a little as both women chuckled all the way to the Command Bridge.

***

Pilot Change Rooms

Upon entering the female section of the change rooms, Rei began the process of suiting up. Where her previous self would have simply undressed and left the clothes where they fell, Her present self had learned that clothes, while mainly functional, should be treated with some care and attention. Folding the garments, she held the shirt against her cheek. <His shirt. Now it is mine. It still retains his scent.>

Asuka was happy. She ignored the strange antics of the First Children, concentrating on the upcoming activation test. Changing into her Plug suit, she glanced at the dividing curtain between herself and Shinji. <Is he still moping around in there?> "Baka. Are you finished spying on us changing? We have to get moving." Asuka grinned. The inference always provoked a stuttering reply from the easily embarrassed young man.

Silence.

"Hey Baka. If you're there, you better answer me." Asuka paused for his reply. "Shinji?" A slight tremor entered her voice.

"I'm here Asuka. I'll be ready in a minute." Asuka clenched her fist.

"Why didn't you answer straight away. What do you think you're playing at?"

"Sorry. I'll wait outside." Asuka watched his shadow pass by the curtain, followed by the hiss of the door opening and closing.

"He seeks not to worry us. Yet his actions only serve to cause concern." Rei pressed the button on her suits wrist, decompressing the material until it hugged the contours of her body.

Asuka did likewise. "Are you intimating that I am concerned about that pervert?"

Rei walked passed, stopping in front of Asuka. Without turning to face he, Rei spoke, "I am concerned. Major Katsuragi is concerned. Even Doctor Akagi is concerned. Even now, will you hide behind the mask of antipathy. Shinji does not need your false hatred to add to his sorrow."

Asuka watched the girl step outside, <Know it all. How? How am I meant to offer anything else when this is all either of us knows?>

***

Shinji followed in silence as he, Rei and Asuka waited for the lift to arrive.

Asuka glanced at his downcast face, then glanced at the girl beside her. <Wondergirl's always watching him. What am I missing here?> Asuka's thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the lift.

The doors opened to reveal Commander Ikari in conference with Doctor Subaru. Sparing the smallest of glances, Commander Ikari stepped out past the three Pilots, the Doctor following as she tallied a series of biological sequences.

Rei watched the subtlest of interactions unfold. The Commander smiled, almost imperceptibly, as he passed the Third Children, as did the Doctor. In turn, Shinji began rhythmically clenching his fist as he watched his father continue to walk away.

<I'm always left standing watching you leave me behind Father. Will you look at me. See me. At least let me know why you even bothered to have a child you don't seem to want.>

Reaching out, Rei gently took hold of Shinji's wrist, breaking the cycle of his subconscious thought. "Shinji. We must depart for the EVA cages." Her grip tightened slightly as she smiled, reassuring him.

Shinji simply nodded. Allowing Rei to lead him.

Asuka noted that the blue haired girl did not let go of him, until they reached the EVA's.

***

NERV Command Centre

"So that's the new Unit 00. Still resembles the original." Misato ran her eyes over the blue behemoth. "Still a cyclops."

"If you're finished you're professional critique of the long and arduous hours I spent rebuilding it, perhaps you wouldn't mind standing back so the rest of us can finish the system diagnostics check." Ritsuko muttered darkly under her breath as she quickly typed in a string of commands.

"Don't get all out of shape Rits-chan. I'm impressed you were able to rebuild it all. There wasn't much left of it after……" Misato turned to look at a display monitor. Her 'Children' had arrived. "It seems the kids are just as impressed Ritsuko." Misato leaned in close to the woman. "What about the core. You told me they needed a soul. Whose in Unit 00 now."

Ritsuko looked at the screen, quickly memorising the numbers as they flashed by. "I don't know Misato. I wasn't involved in the manufacturing of this core."

"Are we still playing with things beyond our comprehension?" Misato continued to observe the three Pilots, noting how both girls were standing closer than normal to Shinji.

"We never stopped Misato." Ritsuko moved over to Maya Ibuki's works station to inspect the displayed figures of Unit 00.

***

SynchronisationTests

Once seated in the Entry Plugs, all three Pilots were inserted into their respective EVA's.

"Okay, we've all been through this before, you know what you have to do." Ritsuko's voice sounded through the comm.

All three Children closed their eyes and began focusing their thoughts on the connection with the armored behemoth. Asuka immediately felt the presence of her mother, Kyoko Zeppelin Sohryu, wash across the fringes of her mind. <Mama. I have so much to tell you.>. The soul bound by Unit 02 was no longer dormant. The impression, the echo, all that remained of Kyoko, rejoiced in her daughter's awakening to herself.

Rei, expecting the mental tussle that always accompanied the initial contact with Unit 00, was surprised as, instead of the familiar pain, her senses were gently caressed by the soul bound within the beast. <Who? Something known.>

"Rei, we're recording some abnormal figures from Unit 00's core. Is anything wrong?" Ritsuko watched the figures dance down the screen as Maya continued to monitor the data feed.

"No. The sensation is different. The EVA is waiting for something. No, someone." Rei paused and opened her eyes. "Who resides within Unit 00?"

Ritsuko turned around and looked up at the Commander and Sub-Commander as they oversaw the activation tests.

"Irrelevant Pilot Ayanami. If you are unable to continue as a Pilot, you will be removed and replaced with someone who can." Gendou watched the once impassive young girl start slightly at his words. Rei was well aware of the Commander's version of 'Removal'.

"No Commander. As stated. The sensation is unexpected." Rei once again closed her eyes and continued to focus on the dormant voice within the shell.

"What are the numbers like Ritsuko?" Misato was apprehensive. While Rei and Asuka appeared fine, their psychological state was impaired by the recent actions of their colleague.

"Asuka's up three points. It appears she has managed to overcome her own personal trials to some extent. Rei is stable and is surprisingly high at twelve points higher than her previous maximum. Considering that we had to load her old data into the system it's incredible." Ritsuko paused as she reviewed the last figure.

"What about Shinji?" Misato tried not to fret. His behavior the night before and this morning did not bode well.

"Misato. Come and look at this." Ritsuko stared at the screen, wondering what was wrong.

"What is it Ritsuko?" Misato stared at the graphs and statistics.

"These numbers, they're abnormal. Even for Shinji-kun and Unit 01." Ritsuko opened communications with Unit 01, "Shinji-kun, are you feeling all right?"

Shinji opened his eyes and lifted his gaze to a slightly confused Ritsuko and obviously concerned Misato. "Yes Ritsuko-san. Although …."

"What is it Shinji?" Misato leapt in, unable to hold her voice.

"I feel kind of strange. The tingling sensation is back, like when I woke up. Is anything wrong? Is my synch rate down?" Shinji watched his hand as he flexed it. The sensation only seemed to increase as he continued to focus on it.

"Sempai!" Maya tried to control the alarm in her voice as she pointed at a series of rapidly increasing numbers.

Ritsuko stared at the numbers, "Cathexis, Destrado, fluctuating. Is Yui taking Shinji-kun again? Is the Super Solenoid Engine activating?"

"SHINJI!" Misato's scream tore Ritsuko and the entire bridge crew from their thoughts as communications with Unit 01 and it's Pilot were severed.

"AT Field detected. Pattern Orange." Shigeru Aoba called out over the commotion.

"Cut all power to Unit 01. Sever all connections to the Pilot and issue the eject signal." Ritsuko quickly ordered as she watched the beast begin to struggle.

"Signal rejected. Cannot confirm Pilot Life signs. Retrying." Maya quickly began executing the required commands to shut the EVA down and hopefully recover the Pilot alive.

"AT Field increasing in strength. Structural integrity of test facility at borderline." Makoto Hyouga added as he quickly began sealing bulkheads around the training complex.

"Asuka. Rei. Unit 01 is about to go Berserker. Destabilise and erode the AT Field and manually remove Shinji's entry plug." Misato's command persona quickly took over and began issuing orders to various bridge, security and maintenance staff.

"Understood//Got it." Both Rei and Asuka replied simultaneously.

Unit 00 and 02 immediately began manifesting their own AT Fields. As fields collided, hexagon patterns flared and sparked, the light of the Unit 01's soul resisting the forced entry of the combined assault.

"Field harmonising." Ritsuko spared her friend a brief, encouraging smile. "They should be able to synchronise with the field and begin to erode it."

Misato began rubbing her cross pendant against her lips as she watched the continued contortions of Unit 01 as it struggled against both Unit's 00 and 02 and whatever internal problem that had resulted in it's berserker activation.

"Sempai. Corrosion of 01's field confirmed." May was unable to fully contain her enthusiasm as her voice rose.

"We've got a problem. Unit 01 is trying to link with 00 and 02. Contamination immanent." Shigeru added to the confusion.

"Asuka. Rei. Are you guys ok?" Misato watched their faces, grimacing with the effort of pulling down Unit 01's AT Field and the possible threat of contamination.

Asuka and Rei suddenly scream, their voices chilling the staff on hand.

"No. It's entering my mind. No. Not again." Asuka began wailing as she writhed in the entry plug.

"It is attempting to …… No." Rei clutched her head, screaming in agony as the unknown force continued to delve into the minds of the two Pilots.

***

Shinji wondered what was going on. He was beginning to feel slightly ill not long after he lost communications with the Bridge. He slowly felt himself losing consciousness. <No. I can't pass out now. Not while I'm in EVA.>

Shinji soon found himself standing amidst a very familiar darkness.

<<My Beloved>> Shinji turned to find a voluptuous dark haired woman approaching him.

<Who are you?> Shinji tried to step back from her advance. He felt his body held tight by the very air around him.

<<Whomever you wish me to be>> She smiled and began to shift between the women he knew. <<I can offer you everything you need, I can make you strong.>>

Shinji's vision was filled by the sight of a man. It looked like his father. Tall and proud. <No, that's not my father ..> The man was younger. He radiated power and strength.

<<This is your future should you choose>> The woman ran her hand along the jaw of the image of Shinji's future self.

Shinji looked into his own eyes. Gone was the fear, the doubt and self loathing. The eyes burned with confidence. They burned with hate and malice. Shinji saw the landscape behind them. People screamed and cried. The very ground was scorched black.

<No. That's not me. It can't be> Shinji closed his eyes and shook his head.

<<Oh but it is. You know it better than anyone. You know what lurks in the depths of your soul. Why you hate yourself more than anything.>> Shinji felt her fingers run along his stomach and over his chest.

<No. No. No. No. No> Shinji wailed as the woman laughed hysterically.

***

Kouzou leaned in and lowered his voice so only Gendou would hear, "Is it wise to attempt this so soon after his synchronisation with Lillith?"

"He was only exposed to a sample. Doctor Subaru's analysis will determine when he will be capable of full transfiguration. Do not overly concern yourself Sensei, I have complete faith in the Third's ability."

***

"Contamination receding. AT Field diminishing. Restoring connections with Unit 01. Pilot Life signs confirmed." Maya glanced across at her mentor and Major Katsuragi. "He's unconscious, Major, but he's alive."

Misato released a sigh of relief as she quickly ordered the retrieval of the three Pilots.

"Doctor Akagi, Major Katsuragi." Both women turned to face Commander Ikari, "All three Pilots are to be quarantined. They will be held overnight for observation to ensure no residual side effects of Contamination, physical or mental, are present."

Everyone present watched, amazed, as Commander Ikari and Sub-Commander Fuyutsuki left the bridge.

"Was that a hint of concern I just heard?" Makoto pinched Shigeru to make sure what he had just witnessed wasn't a dream.

"Ouch. Quit it man. You're not dreaming." Shigeru rubbed his arm where his colleague just pinched him.

"Ladies, Gentleman. If you're finished gawking at the trail left by the Commander. We have Pilots to recover and one hell of a investigation to start." Ritsuko left Misato to the Pilots and began collating the data recorded from the activation tests, hoping to find the thread that would expose the entire weave.

***

NERV Medical Secure Quarantine Facility

The Mindscape of the Second Children

"Mama. Look at me. I'm an EVA Pilot. It's meant to be a secret but I'm telling you. Mama! Mama. Mama?"

<Why am I remembering this? I don't want to have this dream ever again.>

"So they defeated an Angel in Tokyo-3. Who did it. The First Children. I heard she was injured in an Activation Test. The Third Children? Who's that. Son of the Commander. Figures. Nepotism happens in every organisation."

<I just didn't understand at the time. I thought the son of the Commander, the Third Children I had read about in the reports would be just another brutish, stuck up male.>

"So you're the Great Third Children? Not what I was expecting."

<No. And sometimes I still don't know what to expect.>

"Baka! Pervert! Idiot! Jerk! Wimp! Fool! Baka! Pervert! Idiot! Jerk! Wimp! Fool ! Baka! Pervert! Idiot! Jerk! Wimp! Fool! Baka! Pervert! Idiot! Jerk! Wimp! Fool ! Baka! Pervert! Idiot! Jerk!"

<Why did he put up with me? Why does he put up with me now? All I ever did was hurt him. Hurt those around me.>

"400%. How the hell am I meant to beat that? Oh the Invincible Shinji-sama swoops in to save the poor, helpless girl. You're pathetic. I don't need your help. I don't need anyone's help. I can stand on my own."

<But do I have to? If people are there to support me, is it truly weak to let them help me?>

"Death, Suicide, Useless. Why didn't you come to save me. If it had been you, it would have been ok. Now everyone knows just how much of a failure I am because that doll had to save me. I hate you. I hate Everyone."

<But I hated myself most of all. Hated how weak I was.>

"Synch Ratio Zero. I don't deserve to live. Mama. I'm coming."

<I don't want to die. I don't want to die. I don't want to die. Somebody help me. Am I alone? Does no one care? Am I so horrible that you all hate me? Do I deserve to Die?>

"Asuka, I'm glad you're ok"

<Who?>

"I couldn't let her just fall. I had to help her."

<Shinji?>

"Guten Morgen Asuka" "What would you like for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner" "Do you want some help with the Kanji?" "Thank you Asuka"

<Why do you care? After all I've done, all I've said. Why?>

"Does someone need an excuse to help anybody else?"

***

The Mindscape of the First Children

"Your name is Rei. Rei Ayanami. You have a purpose to fulfill. You will bring about the next genesis of the human species. You are the catalyst for complementation. You are the key to instrumentality You will destroy humanity."

<Created with a purpose. Raised to ignore everything else. I existed knowing only what I was told. Told I would end all that was.>

"Ignore the pain Rei. You must synchronise with the module." " If she is unusable, we can always create another."

<Treated as just another part of his scenario. A disposable object.>

"Call her an Old Hag That I have no further use for her. Tell her I said so." "I hate you little girl. Everything you stand for. Everything you remind me of, I'll kill you.."

<Expendable. Cast aside on a whim. But never allowed to die.>

"Rei. Our spare is unusable. You will do it again."

<Replaceable. A fake person living a fake life. A hollow existence. Wishing only for oblivion.>

"EVA is my bond. It is all I have." "I think I am the Third."

<All I had was pain and loneliness. All I was allowed.>

"I'm crying because I'm happy you're okay." "You should try smiling."

<You smiled at me. You cried for me. Why?>

"I cleaned your apartment while we waited. I'm sorry if I touched anything I shouldn't have."

<You treat me as you do others. Why do you value my existence when it has no worth?>

"Good morning Ayanami." "The way you squeezed the wash cloth, reminded me of how a Mother would." "Are you joining us for Dinner?"

<Why do you care? I am a nothing given form. I am a shell with a fabricated soul.>

"You're not replaceable Rei. You never were."

***

Asuka woke to find an all to familiar ceiling waiting to greet her. <Uhg. Not hospital again.> Gathering her thoughts, Asuka quickly surveyed her position and found she was not alone. <Wondergirl? We're both in hospital. What …… That's right. Baka Shinji's EVA decided to play up. Again.>

Deciding to see just what was going on, Asuka moved from the bed to the door. <Locked?> Turning back to her companion, Asuka glared indignantly, "Wondergirl, wake up. We're locked in."

Rei sat up and surveyed the room. "It would appear we are in the Medical Quarantine Facility."

"And you know this because….." Asuka was irritated by her 'Rival's' apparent knowledge and overly calm demeanor.

"I have visited Shinji before when he was recuperating here after his absorption by the Twelfth. The layout is identical." Rei looked at the ceiling. "We are most likely under observation for what occurred during the activation test."

Asuka snorted and lay back down on the bed with her arms crossed behind her head and stared at the ceiling. "Did anything strange happen to you while you were trying to bring down Baka Shinji's AT Field?"

"I am unsure, but I believe I was forced to re-live some of my more …. Unpleasant memories." Rei glanced over at Asuka. "I would not like to endure such an occurrence more than once."

"Yeah, well life isn't all that fair, is it. You don't have to dance around the topic, First Children. What happened was a lot like what I went through before. I didn't like it then and I damn well hated having to replay the whole thing over again." Asuka sat up and grabbed handfuls of the sheets. The muscles in her forearms tensing beneath her skin.

"At the end, just before I passed out. I felt him. I felt Shinji's presence." Rei continued to stare off at a point in space only she could see. "He was lost."

"I wonder where he is? I can't believe they still allow that faulty Unit of his to run. It's a menace to everyone." Asuka decided that she might as well sleep for the moment. She had had her fill of talking with the albino First Children.

"Actually, the young Mister Ikari is in the next room."

Both Asuka and Rei turned to find Doctor Tsukasa Subaru standing in the doorway.

"How long do we have to stay in this place. I have important things to do besides work for NERV." Asuka knew that the statement was an outright lie, but her standard tactics were always to take the offensive.

"Actually Miss Sohryu, from what I can understand you are specifically here to work for NERV. Any social or extracurricular activities you may indulge in a completely superfluous. To put it simply, you are at the beck and call of NERV." Doctor Subaru's smile held more than a trace of just an amusing bed side manner. It spoke of things much darker.

"Sure whatever, we're all slaves to the new God that is NERV. I'll pay at the door on my way out." Asuka's patronising attitude only seemed to please the doctor.

"Doctor Subaru, how long have we been interred her, and how much longer must we remain?" Rei interjected, hoping to mitigate any consequences created by Asuka's sarcasm.

"You've only been here for just over two and a half hours. We're only keeping you in overnight for observation. Just until we're confidant that there are no residual traces of the secondary level contamination you both suffered."

"What about Baka Shinji? Is he awake yet?"

"He certainly is. I've just finished his medical appraisal, he seems fine if not a little tired." Doctor Subaru paused as she began accessing her system control unit. "If you could each spare a few minutes, I'll just perform some quick safety control checks. If you'd like you can visit Mister Ikari when we're done."

"Let's get it over with then. Come on Wondergirl. Time to strip and be prodded and poked." Asuka resigned herself to further ignominy, while Rei quickly removed her gown and waited for the Doctor.

***

"Well, you both seem fine for now. Of course we'll do a more thorough examination tomorrow." Doctor Subaru casually watched the two young women place their hospital gowns back on. "The door to both this room and young Ikari-kun's room are unlocked. All other doors are sealed. At least until we're absolutely sure you are all free of further complications."

"Well Wondergirl, are you ready to go see the Baka?" Asuka tugged at the hem of her gown. "Scheisse these things don't leave too much to the imagination. Baka Shinji will probably faint when he sees us."

Rei paused at the door. "Shinji has already seen me naked before. When he was on top of me at the time he was more startled than on the verge of fainting."

Asuka just smiled. "That's a relief. Don't want him passing ……….." As the seconds ticked by, Asuka slowly dissected Rei's words. "WHAT!!!! What were you and that pervert doing? Why were you naked? He was on top? Why are you smiling Wondergirl?"

***

One of the Many Nightspots in Tokyo-3

"Gimme annudder." Major Misato Katsuragi was drunk. The condition she was aiming for was still at least three hours away. As long as the bar didn't run out of alcohol. "Rits-chan, why aren't youuu and Maya-chan drinkining with me?"

Ritsuko sighed. She had determined earlier that Misato needed to forget about things, at least for the night. While she had witnessed her friends capacity for alcohol, it had been a number of years since she had witnessed Misato acting like this in public. "Misa-chan. Maya-kun and I are drinking. Unfortunately our liver's haven't been replaced with bionic replacements just yet."

"Is Katsuragi-san usually like this Sempai?" Maya was only on her third drink and already feeling slightly tipsy.

"No. Not usually. But I suppose tonight's a special occasion." Ritsuko slowly sipped her own drink. "Speaking of occasions, Maya-kun, did you tell your special someone yet?"

"What, Maya-chan has a boyfriend? Who is he? Is he a hunk? Come on spill all the juicy stuff." Misato polished off another drink and called for a refill.

"Sempai! I told you. It's complicated. And they're always really busy with so much happening in their life. Besides, they just came off a really bad relationship." Maya blushed and tried to shrink down into her seat under the gaze of the two older woman.

Misato leaned back. "It's best not to rush in if that's the case. You could end up being used in a rebound relationship." Misato leaned forward again and leered at Ritsuko. "What about you Doctor Akagi? Going to try and find someone special?"

"Misato. Most of my free time these days is spent ensuring my best friend doesn't try and initiate an indecent relationship with the Pilot of Unit 01." Ritsuko continued to tease Misato about her lewd antics, while Maya watched on, slightly jealous of the free and easy way the two women could interact.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"Misa-chan. Why is it you can look slim and still manage to weigh so much? I'm positive it contravenes several laws of quantum physics." Ritsuko and her protégé managed to finally drag Misato to her room and get her into her futon.

Ritsuko took a long look at her friend. "Sleep well Misato. You'll be able to see them tomorrow."

"Katsuragi-san really cares about them?" Maya closed the bedroom door and joined Ritsuko in the living room.

"She does. It's strange. Sometimes I think she's more juvenile than the Children, but she cares more than any others ever have about them." Ritsuko watched Pen-Pen waddle back to his fridge, beer in hand. "You're probably the most sane individual in the entire household , right Pen-pen?"

The penguin paused momentarily to inspect the human's in his domain. "Waaarrk." (Warm Water Penguin Translation Service - Only while the beer lasts.)

"Sempai?"

"Hmm. What is it Maya-kun?" Ritsuko lit up another cigarette and turned to face her assistant.

"My special someone. The person I think I'm in love with. It's ….." Maya lowered her gaze, her hair falling to obscure her features slightly.

"Who is it? It is Shinji-kun. I'm right aren't I?" Ritsuko smiled warmly.

"No. It isn't Shinji-kun. It's you Sempai. The person I'm in love with is you." Maya held both her hands in front of her face. <Oh Kami-sama. I said it. I told her.>

Ritsuko Akagi had been witness to many things. She had developed technological marvels that only a very special few on the entire planet would even begin to comprehend. She was not, however, prepared for a love confession from another woman. Least of all from Maya Ibuki. "I don't know what to say Maya-kun."

"I'm sorry Sempai. Please forget I said anything." Maya turned to leave. <Rejected. I should have just kept my mouth shut.>

"Maya-kun. I'm not sure if you know, but I was in a relationship with the Commander." Ritsuko slapped her forehead. "Of course you knew. It seems it was the worst kept secret in NERV. I guess what I want to say is this. Are you sure of your feelings? Your not mistaking professional admiration and respect for something more? I made the same mistake myself. I wanted to see something that wasn't really there. It nearly destroyed me."

"I only know what I feel when I'm with you Sempai. What my heart tells me every time you smile at me." Maya gripped her handbag tight.

Ritsuko stared up at the ceiling, "I won't lie Maya-kun. I don't really," Ritsuko paused to consider her words, "swing that way, I guess. I've never had to think about it."

Ritsuko noticed the pained expression that now washed over her young assistant's face. "Maya-kun." Maya looked up, not knowing what to expect. "Give me some time. That's all I ask. Time to sort out the things going on. Not just in my life, but yours as well."

Maya smiled, perhaps not the carefree smile she often used with her Sempai, but a smile nonetheless.

End Chapter the Seventh

Tbc

Ja Ne