Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Tenth ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Author's Pre-Rant -

I can now be contacted at the following email address.

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au

Please still review via Fanfiction.net but if you want to drop me a line to discuss stuff in general, please do so.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Tenth - No More Miss Nice Pilot

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

To say that Shinji Ikari was worried was an understatement. Yes, most normal well-adjusted fifteen year old males had some concerns, girls, acne, girls, school, girls….well you get the picture. Unlike most though, Shinji displayed an almost disturbing penchant for self-deprecation. He often wondered how anyone could even bear to be in his presence for any length of time. Strangely enough, his thoughts were not focused on his normal self-loathing this morning. No. Today his thoughts centred on and around one very simple premise. But then Second Impact started out as a group of scientists trying to unravel the secrets of the Super Solenoid Engine. The consequences of that particular escapade ravaged the face of the earth and reduced the planets population by over half. The potential fallout from Shinji's concern, to his mind, could possibly eclipse the blight of Twentieth Century, making it appear mild in comparison.

What was this issue? An issue so staggering that mankind itself was in peril.

To put it simply, Shinji had agreed to go to his school dance with both Rei Ayanami and Asuka Langley Sohryu. This in itself had the boy sweating bullets. Add to this already unstable mixture the catalyst that Misato Katsuragi knew of his disastrous error and you had the makings of an explosive device that made the self destruct of an Evangelion seem like a small fire cracker. Having already witnessed such an event, he had no desire to see a repeat performance.

The night before, Shinji had observed his guardian blissfully make small talk with both Rei and Asuka. Before Dinner. During dinner. After dinner. Both girls had sensed something was amiss. To them, Misato was altogether 'too' happy, even if she was on her fifth Yebisu. It had also not escaped their notice that the only human male of the household was even more subdued than normal.

Shinji had tried to seem upbeat and casual, something he was fairly unfamiliar with, but every time Misato inquired how things were going at school, or initiated a general conversation, he felt Misato's eyes burning holes into him. He knew without a shadow of a doubt that Misato was toying with him. Her subtle coaxing of the conversations was all designed to 'encourage' him to admit to both girls what had happened. But he was caught between a rock and Asuka's fist. (A/N - Thanks go to Slayer for this particular line. Loved it. Kudos mate.)

Somehow Shinji had managed to scrape through the night without incident. But faced with another day, he wondered just how long he could stall having to come clean. In all honesty, while Shinji lacked the ability to lie and deceive to any great degree, he knew that sometimes honesty wasn't the best policy. In fact, sometimes avoidance was the only way to survive. Running from problems was a skill he had an abundance of. His one true survival skill.

"Hmmm. Breakfast was wonderful Shinji. You really outdid yourself." Shinji glanced nervously at Misato as she rested her chin on her palm and grinned lazily at him.

"No problem Misato-san. A pleasure as always." His reply was forced. His wind pipe contracted mercilessly, as if his own body was rebelling against him.

"So Shin-chan, what have you got planned for today?" Misato continued to gaze at the boy. Her eyes sparkled with barely suppressed amusement.

Before Shinji could respond, Asuka interjected. "What's with the 'Happy Families' routine Misato? You were acting all weird last night and again this morning." Asuka's eyes narrowed. "The Baka's been acting weird as well. What are you two up to?" Asuka did not like the way Misato was smiling at Shinji. To Asuka's way of thinking, it spoke of perverted and dirty things. The sort of thing she regularly accused Shinji of.

"That's not for me to say, Asuka." Misato started chuckling. "Why don't you ask Shinji?". This only served to inflame the already disgruntled German.

Asuka quickly turned on the now panic stricken boy. "You!" Asuka began slowly walking around the kitchen table, stalking her prey. "Talk! Now!"

Her prey, as with most creatures aware of its impending demise, allowed the inherent survival instincts to take control. "Gee, is that the time? We're going to be late for school if we don't hurry up." Shinji quickly grabbed his lunch from the table and dashed for the front door, barely managing to slip his shoes on in his haste.

"Run all you want Baka. I know where you live and where you work. I'll have my answers from you, even if it kills one of us." The tone of her voice left no doubt whatsoever as to who would be doing the actual dying.

"Pilot Sohryu." The quiet voice broke Asuka from her thoughts of just how she would extract the truth from the recently departed Shinji Ikari.

Asuka turned on the other remaining teenager in the apartment. "What is it First?"

"By utilising this," Rei indicated her hand held 'Shinji Ikari' monitoring unit, "I believe we can track Shinji down, regardless of his attempts to avoid capture. It will also allow us to determine the validity of his answers."

Asuka flashed her patented predatory grin. "You're learning Wonder Girl. Let's locate the Baka and see what he has to say for himself."

"Agreed." Rei grabbed her lunch and school satchel and made to leave the apartment with her hunting companion.

"Girls, don't hurt him too much, okay? It's laundry day." Misato threw the comment out, knowing it would simply incite the pair further.

"Oh we won't hurt your precious Shin-chan, Misato. Trust us." Asuka's smile confirmed that what she was saying and what she intended were at diametrically opposed extremes.

Misato turned to Pen-Pen, who had simply been observing his family interacting much like they always did. "What do you think? Will Shinji survive the day?"

"Waaarrkk. Waarkk?" {Warm Water Penguin Translation Service - I'll miss the Timid Food Provider, I kind of liked him. How soon can we get a new one?}

***

The Streets of Tokyo-3

"Hey Shin-man, where's the fire?" Touji was just exiting the lift when Shinji frantically shoved him back in and rapidly began pressing the button to have the lift return them to the ground floor.

"Must Run Away, Must Run Away, Must Run Away, Must Run Away." Over and over Shinji whispered the phrase as his fist clenched and relaxed at a hectic pace.

"Hey Ken, I think he's lost it. What do you think?" Touji casually leaned back against the metal wall and observed his friends extremely odd behaviour.

"Has to be the Devil. Only reason any man would run from Misato." Kensuke idly rubbed his chin as he considered the possibilities.

"That true Shinji? The Devil do something weird to you?" Resting a hand on Shinji's shoulder, Touji gently shook his friend.

"Huh? Uhm , no, nothing like that. Asuka's just, uhm, a little annoyed about something. Probably in my best interest to avoid her as much as I can until she returns to normal." Scratching the back of his head, Shinji attempted to mollify his friends concerns.

"Normal? Normal in her books is about as abnormal as it gets. Believe me Shinji, you're much better off without her. Stick to human females. You'll at least get to keep your skin." Kensuke offered as he watched the numbers descend.

"Asuka's not that bad, guys." Shinji responded in defence of the fiery young woman.

"Singin' the wrong song to wrong people Shin-man. Doesn't matter what you say. Facts are facts. And the Red Headed Bitch is a Devil. Simple as that." Touji crossed his arms across his chest.

Shinji sighed and joined his friends in exiting the lift. He knew it was a lost cause in convincing them that Asuka wasn't as bad as they thought she was.

"BAKA! You wait right there! I haven't finished with you yet!" All three youths looked up to spot Asuka hanging precariously over the balcony on the floor where they lived.

"Hey Ayanami! I'll give you whatever you want if you give the Devil a push!" Kensuke called back.

"Yeah. You can have Shinji all to yourself!" Touji added as he joined Kensuke in laughing at Asuka's unintelligible response.

Shinji sweat dropped as he watched Asuka's furious expression turn murderous. "Maybe we should hurry up and get to school."

Kensuke and Touji heartily agreed as they continued to laugh.

***

Central Dogma - Evangelion Holding Cages

Technicians working in designated teams continued their never ending maintenance of the three humanoid behemoths that were considered by most as humanities best defence against Heaven's Messengers.

While dutiful in their work, repetition and routine often breeds complacency. Over the months, years for some, the majority of the work crews had come to accept some things as just part and parcel of the job. Unlike most conventional weapons capable of mass destruction, it had become general consensus that occasionally, the EVA's, especially Unit 01, would activate for brief periods of time. These instances had originally frightened many people enough to request reassignment. Those that persevered had eventually come to accept that sometimes it was easier to just leave things as they were. By keeping your head down and your mouth shut, a NERV employee's life expectancy could be expected to triple.

Today heralded another of those instances where the unexplained was ignored by all. It was simply easier that way.

Gendou Ikari observed the three beasts from an isolated balcony. His eyes were fixated on only Unit 01. Where others saw only the purple and neon green armour, he saw his Yui. Her gentle smile. Her eyes alight with passion as she gazed at him. Fond memories that drove him mercilessly. "One week Yui. After more than a decade without you, we'll be together once again."

Unit 00 and Unit 02 stood silent. Their respective inhabitants existing in quasi-ephemeral states that defied most scientific explanations. Unit 01, activated briefly as its eyes glowed a soft yellow. The consciousness sealed within did not struggle at its self-imposed imprisonment. Yui Ikari had witnessed her son's anguish. Every time he synchronised with the beast she saw his memories, experienced his life, albeit second hand. Her frustration at her husband's callous treatment of their son confused and infuriated her. <Yes Gendou. We shall meet again. And there will be a reckoning.>

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Operation : Make the Baka Squeal

"Okay, listen up Wonder Girl. Baka Shinji and the Tramp are up to something. Misato won't tell so that leaves Shinji." Asuka cracked her knuckles in eager anticipation.

"Forced extraction of the information may not be the most prudent course of action. Under duress, most people will say whatever it is the interrogator wants to hear. Regardless of the information's validity." Rei glanced briefly at the control display monitoring Shinji. <Shinji appeared distressed by the Second Children's advances earlier this morning. Yet the readings have barley fluctuated. Is the equipment faulty?> Rei quickly initiated a self-diagnostic routine to confirm that the control device and tracking band were still operating normally.

"Baka's a terrible liar. He can barely manage the truth let alone a lie. All we need to do is get him on his own and encourage him to spill his guts." While Asuka's words implied spilling in a figurative sense, her mind was contemplating a more literal course of action if the young Pilot defied her.

"That may prove difficult. Shinji has obviously convinced his friends to assist in deterring our efforts." Asuka had to agree with Rei's assessment of the situation. The idiot duo had not left his side all morning.

"I've got a plan. This is what we'll do." Asuka began outlining her scenario to isolate the young Ikari.

***

Shinji wandered amongst the shelves of books looking for the reference literature he needed for his History assignment. Hearing a cough, he glanced at the end of the row to find Asuka leaning casually against the shelves watching him.

Quickly glancing behind him, Shinji suddenly realised he was alone. Touji Suzuhara and Kensuke Aida nowhere in sight.

"If you're wondering where the Dumb Jock and the Geek are, Wonder Girl's making sure that they are otherwise occupied." Asuka slowly began advancing towards Shinji, her eyes sparkling with feral excitement. "Now, about our little conversation this morning. You didn't have the opportunity to tell me what's going on." Asuka was about to launch herself at the boy when a voice interrupted her.

"Excuse me Ikari-sempai?"

Shinji felt the tension slowly release him as he turned to find a young girl standing behind him.

"Yes, uhmm?" Shinji glanced nervously at Asuka, noticing with some relief that she was slightly upset at the younger girl's intrusion.

"Minami. Minami Saeko. I was wondering if you could help me?" The girl's cheeks were flushed red as she fidgeted with the hem of her skirt.

"Sure Saeko-chan. What can I do for you?" Shinji grasped the opportunity to escape and in an uncharacteristic manoeuvre, grabbed Minami's wrist and began leading her off. Much to the younger girls delight.

"We were unsuccessful." Asuka didn't even bother to glance at the owner of the quiet voice behind her.

"The day's still young." Asuka's eye's narrowed as she watched her prey disappear with a deliriously happy young girl in tow.

***

"Shinji, could you please assist me with retrieving the stationary supplies for class?" Rei softly inquired.

Not knowing how to actually refuse the attractive blue haired girl, Shinji nodded and left the class to help.

Unbeknownst to Shinji was the simple fact that his support team had been previously intercepted and diverted. Asuka had simply lodged an anonymous complaint that both Touji and Kensuke had been filming the girls in the change room. Both youths presently awaited their turn to discuss the matter with the Principle, blissfully unaware of their friends' plight.

Shinji strolled slightly uneasily beside Rei. "Rei, has Asuka said anything to you about this morning? I realise Misato's been dropping a lot of innuendo of late, but it's just how Misato is."

"I do not concern myself with Pilot Sohryu's concerns or state of mind Shinji." Rei did not waver from her steady pace or even glance in his direction.

"Are you okay with things Rei? You're not upset about anything are you?" Shinji carefully observed Rei's delicate features. While often imperceptible, time and frequent association had afforded him some idea into how the quiet young woman was feeling.

"We are here." Rei opened a classroom door and stood back to allow Shinji passage.

Shinji was about to enter the room when a voice calling his name caught his attention.

"Found you at last Ikari-kun."

Rei frowned slightly as Shinji turned to face the owner of the voice.

"Yes Sempai?" Shinji asked politely of the slightly older girl now in front of him.

"The Principle wants you to go pay him a visit. Something to do with the other two no doubt." The young woman offered a smile in way of condolences.

"Thank you Sempai." Shinji bowed slightly then turned and offered his apologies to Rei before departing in the company of the upper class man.

"Schiesse!" The dark muttering originated from within the classroom.

"We have failed again Pilot Sohryu." Rei continued to watch the receding figure of Shinji Ikari, wondering what would be the next course of action.

Asuka stepped out into the hallway beside her compatriot in crime. "Okay. No more Miss Nice Pilot. If the next one fails, I say we knock him out and drag him off to somewhere nice and secluded."

Rei considered the Second Childrens words. "Agreed."

As he made his way to the Principles office, Shinji Ikari shivered as he felt someone walking over his grave.

***

The peaceful quiet of the class was suddenly interrupted by the annoying ring of a mobile phone. Most schools prohibited it's students from having their mobile phones on during class to avoid this sort of problem. While this still held true for the greater majority of students in Tokyo-3, three particular students were considered the exception to the rule. Saving the world took priority over learning how to solve polynomial equations.

Asuka Langley Sohryu quickly answered her phone, nodding her head to whatever was being asked at the other end of the line. "Okay Misato. I'll tell them." Asuka rose from her seat and grabbed her satchel. "Sensei, we're required at NERV for tests." In a way, that one statement eased the tension that had risen astronomically amongst the students and educator alike. Phone calls to Pilots often inferred a much greater calamity about to happen.

"Understood Sohryu-san. You, Ayanami-san and Ikari-kun are excused from class for the remainder of the day. Class Representative Horaki will arrange for the relevant work sheets to be delivered after school." The elderly Sensei dipped his head as he acknowledged the departing trio.

"Why did Misato-san call you?" Shinji strolled between the two girls as they made their way down the corridor.

"Because you always leave your phone at home and Wonder Girl's is still broken. How else is she meant to contact us? Telepathy?" Asuka replied sarcastically.

Shinji nodded his head. "Sorry."

Asuka rolled her eyes at the young man's continued unnecessary apologies. "Whatever. Misato told me that we should meet the security detail around back. Let's go."

Shinji shrugged his shoulders. While it was unusual for Section 2 to be waiting at the back of the school, it had happened before.

As they continued their way across the school grounds, Shinji suddenly found himself being manhandled by his two companions and bundled into a nearby sports storage building.

Stumbling as he was shoved inside, Shinji heard the sound of the door being closed and subsequently locked.

"Now my dear Baka. Let's start from the beginning shall we?" Shinji turned to face both Rei and Asuka as they slowly backed him into a corner.

"What about the tests at NERV? Isn't Misato-san waiting for us?" He knew he had been lied to. As a result of his own naivety, he was now caught. Shinji wondered if anyone would hear him scream as he noticed the subtle smile on Rei's face and the overly malicious grin on Asuka's.

***

NERV Command Centre

"So what's Shinji-kun going to do?" Ritsuko had just finished regaining her composure after Misato's sordid re-telling of the young Pilot's mistake in agreeing to date both Asuka and Rei.

"Try and keep as much distance between himself and them is my guess. I had him on tender hooks all last night and Asuka finally had enough by breakfast. My guess is she'll get her answers one way or another." Misato began laughing at the thought of just how Asuka and Rei would try and persuade Shinji to reveal the truth.

"Poor Shinji-kun. What sort of guardian are you Misato. Asuka and Rei are bad enough alone, combined they could level cities. He doesn't stand a chance." Despite herself, Ritsuko had to laugh at the mental image of a pair of outraged female Pilots literally trying to tear the remaining male Pilot in half.

"Oh they won't hurt too much. Who knows maybe he'll come up with a convincing cover story?" Knowing that both girls felt 'something' for the boy mitigated her concerns slightly.

"Misa-chan, the boy wears his heart on his sleeve. He couldn't lie to save himself." Being an expert in the art of deception allowed Ritsuko to offer the rather blunt assessment of Shinji's capabilities as a liar.

Misato considered the Doctor's analysis and offered a sly grin. "Maybe I'll come up with a believable lie for him."

"Somehow declaring to Rei and Asuka that you're pregnant with Shinji-kun's love child won't convince them. Try for something a little more plausible." The look on the Major's face spoke volumes about just how close Ritsuko was with her prediction.

Misato pouted at being second guessed. "But it'd be so much fun. Shin-chan would probably faint. Either that or Asuka would put him to sleep. I'm not sure how Rei would react."

Ritsuko chuckled softly. "You're actually quite an evil person Misato."

Misato smiled in return at the observation. "Probably why we're still friends. Speaking of friends. What did you tell Maya? Are you guys officially a couple yet?"

Ritsuko shrugged her shoulders as she responded. "We're going to give it a try. Nothing serious, just go out as friends and see what happens. Who knows, Maya may end up despising me for the things I've been responsible for. I'm no Saint."

"Everyone has skeletons in the closet Rits-chan. If you can both accept those things about each other you've got a better chance than most."

"Perhaps." Ritsuko was still unsure about the whole situation. She had finally reconciled herself to the whole 'Same Sex' issue. It wasn't really that big a deal. Japan had fairly relaxed attitudes towards those sorts of relationships. The bulk of her uncertainty stemmed from the fact that they worked together. Not only worked together, she was Maya's supervisor to boot. And as experience had already proven, office relationships can turn very sour.

Despite the look of concern on Ritsuko's face, Misato continued on. "And just because I've given you my blessings doesn't give you the excuse to start hitting on me, okay Rits-chan?"

Ritsuko sighed at her friends' complete lack of tact. "Misato. It's not like I've turned into a flaming lesbian overnight." Ritsuko paused as she considered something. "It might be better for Shinji-kun if I was."

That managed to stop Misato in her tracks. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, Shinji-kun could come live with me. That way he wouldn't have to worry about his guardian hitting on him constantly." Ritsuko knew this little, well-placed dig would definitely hit the mark.

"It's not constantly." Misato pouted. "Only occasionally."

Ritsuko sighed and shook her head. "I've said it before Misato and I'll say it again. You seriously need help."

"Oh go and whinge about it to your girlfriend." Misato followed he retort by pulling her bottom eyelid down and sticking her tongue out.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Operation : Make the Baka Squeal (continued)

<How do I manage to get into situations like this?> Shinji's plight, or at least his most recent, pressing plight, had him tied to a chair while his two interrogators watched him carefully. What really had him concerned was that neither girl looked overly upset at the moment. They looked almost eager.

"Okay Wonder Girl. You monitor him, that way we'll know if he tries to lie." Asuka turned to her 'victim' smiling. "I'll take care of the information extraction."

"Isn't this going too far Asuka? I mean ……" Shinji suddenly found himself unable to continue his last ditch effort to appeal for leniency as Asuka gently but firmly pressed her index finger to his lips.

"Shhhh. It's okay Baka. It won't hurt." Asuka leaned in and whispered softly to the now trembling boy. "You might even like it."

Shinji found himself unable to speak, in fact his name escaped at the moment as Asuka planted herself in his lap and continued to smile softly at him.

"Now Shin-chan. Just what is going on between you and the Tramp?" For added effect, Asuka draped her arms around Shinji's shoulders and lightly pressed herself against him. Shinji found himself hypnotised as Asuka moved her face closer and closer to his own. Her scent overpowering his senses.

"Perhaps it would expedite matters if you were to remove yourself from Shinji. He appears distressed by your close proximity Pilot Sohryu." Rei had felt uncomfortable with just how intimate the couple looked. Even if Shinji was actually being held against his will.

Asuka just glared at her co-conspirator. "Whatever Wonder Girl. Just make sure to keep an eye on the display." <Damn you First Children. Calm down Asuka. It's only Shinji. Nothing to get all flustered about.>

Asuka disentangled herself and took a few moments to straighten her skirt and compose herself, waiting for the burning sensation in her cheeks to subside. Placing her hands on her hips, Asuka stood directly in front of the slightly relieved and disappointed youth. "Speak."

Shinji hung his head. <Got to think of something. Something that did happen. That way they'll believe it. But it has to be something serious.> "Okay, okay. I'll tell you. When I got home yesterday evening, I decided to take a bath before preparing dinner. Anyway, I walked into the bathroom and ….." Shinji felt the blush begin to colour his cheeks as he thought of the situation that had actually occurred not to long ago. "Well Misato-san was already in there. We kind of bumped into each other." Shinji cringed and waited for his end. <Maybe this is for the best. Father can finally be rid of me.>

"You saw Misato? Naked?" While Asuka had envisaged quite a few things, some of them even sweet and innocent, this was a little unexpected.

"Only for a couple of seconds. I swear. As soon as I realised what was going on I raced out of there. But you know how Misato-san can be." <It's not a lie. That did really happen. It's just not what they really want to know.> Shinji struggled against his bonds, his actions adding some strength to the conviction of his words.

"So that's it? That's the big secret?" Asuka threw her hands in the air in disbelief. "You really are just a boring little boy." While her words were harsh, her mind was relieved that it was nothing more than unfortunate happenstance.

<Well it did happen more than once. And Misato-san did it to me a few times as well. Although I'm not sure they were as accidental as she claimed.> Shinji just nodded his head to confirm things. He then glanced nervously at Rei. Essentially her say so would make or break him. Literally.

"Shinji is telling the truth Pilot Sohryu. His pulse and respiration rates, while elevated, were within the parameters."

Asuka smiled. "Looks like you get to live another day Baka Shinji."

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"And Shinji actually told you?" Misato was astounded. Not only did Shinji tell them, he was still alive.

"Of course he did Misato. He couldn't help himself." Asuka added nonchalantly as she changed the channel on the TV.

"Why aren't you upset? Just what did you do to him?" Misato was still coming to terms with everything that was wrong with the whole situation.

"It's not that big a deal Misato. Don't get all freaked out about it." Asuka then briefly explained her version of the events and the revelation provided by Shinji.

"I need a drink." Misato clutched her head. Not only had Shinji deceived both Asuka and Rei. He had managed to survive by telling them a truth.

Misato made her way to the kitchen, only to stop mid stride and stare at the scene before her. There, at the kitchen table, Rei Ayanami was sitting comfortably in Shinji's lap with her arms draped around the young boy. Shinji in turn was a deathly pale colour and looked as immobile as a statue.

"Rei, what are you doing?" Misato tried to convince herself that it was just a hallucination.

"Pilot Sohryu employed similar tactics earlier today. It is most agreeable." Rei snuggled herself against Shinji, who appeared on the verge of fainting. "Shinji, I believe I would like you to place your arms around me."

"Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Wonder Girl! Let go of him!"

"Most pleasant."

"Ooh, My turn next."

"Baka Hentai. What do you think you're doing?"

"I didn't do anything."

***

Section 2 Surveillance Station

"Anything unusual to report?" Agent 86 asked his colleague as he took his seat beside her.

"No. Nothing out of the ordinary." Agent 99 replied as she handed him the latest status report. "The First Children appears to have learnt something of the Art of Seduction and is presently employing them on the Third. The Second Children is annoyed by this amongst other things. The Third Children has fallen into a near vegetative state and Major Katsuragi is fanning the flames. In the ensuing confusion the penguin has managed to steal the remote and is watching a baseball game. Earlier reports have him placing a wager on the Giants."

"Just another night I guess." Agent 86 watched the on-screen dramatics continue to unfold.

End Chapter the Tenth

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Apologies for the last little bit of fluff. That's what happens when you channel surf at midnight and catch a rerun of 'Get Smart'.

I realise things probably seem light and warm hearted at the moment (some WAFF is good for the system). Please bear in mind that Evangelion captivated most people because of it's near perfect blend of WAFF/Romance/Angst/Darkness. I'm trying to somehow recreate this, although complete lack of talent is hampering my attempts.

Well hold onto your monitor's people. The Darkness and Angst will soon rear its ugly head. Last time I checked his name was Gendou.

Ja Ne