Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Longinus ❯ Act II - Strike ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: see Act 0

Sachiel's defeat opens the gate to Shamshiel's entry. Loki the Trickster, Loki the God of Destruction. One and the same, all locked within Ikari Shinji's body. Behind the face of a meek, shy boy lies a demon waiting to devour its target. Why has Loki been following the orders of Fate? What will Loki do now that he has a chance of freedom?

And what role do the Angels play?

Longinus

Act II - Strike

What is pain? The antithesis of love. What is love? Death.

She gaped at him, fascination and horror written plainly across her face, stumbling backwards from the shock. He quickly snatched the glasses back and turned around, Misato missed the cringe on his face. "Sorry."

She watched him, that image of his horrible eyes burned into her memory forever. His amber-tinted Prussian blue eyes. Swirling and writhing, coiled with an unknown power. The face of a demon.

"What...what the hell was that!?" she whispered.

He turned to face her, now wearing his sunglasses. She could not see his expression or his eyes, a small blessing. His youthful face had somehow transformed to an exact copy of his father's stony visage. It was the glasses. Definitely the damn glasses, she thought.

"That's...something I've had to live with for awhile now," he answered quietly. "It started happening when my father abandoned me."

"Is...it painful?" she ventured.

"No," he replied. "Just...random."

Misato was speechless. How was she to know that his eyes would invoke such terror and fear within her? Nothing about this was written in his physical evaluation. How had the doctor missed something so fucking obvious?!

"How come it isn't written in your report?" she asked.

"It happens spontaneously," said Shinji. "It only started to happen three months after my Father abandoned me. And it went on for a year, and then stopped."

Dumbstruck and without any clue as to how to deal with this, she stumbled her way to the kitchen and pulled out a can of beer. One can wouldn't do it. Blindly, she groped and grabbed three more cans from the fridge and sat down. "So..."

"Please don't tell anyone," he pleaded softly. "If they find out...I'll be ruined. Please!"

"Ruined?" she echoed.

He looked away, suddenly feeling even more uncomfortable than before. "...I got beaten up a lot because of my eyes."

It hit her immediately. "Oh," she said lamely.

The two of them sat there for a few minutes, Misato guzzling down beer while Shinji sat and wrung his hands together. The throbbing in his eyes had settled down to something more bearable. He quietly stood up. "I think I'll go out for a few minutes. Look around the city."

She nodded. "Take your cell phone. I'll call you later for a sync test."

He mumbled his assent before leaving the apartment. Misato slumped deeper into her seat, the memory of his mesmerizing, demonic eyes haunting her. She opened another can of beer, drinking that down before she made her way to the bathroom.


He watched with amazement as the buildings came to life. They stretched out to the sky, seemingly reaching out towards the Heavens. The setting sun cast a reddish-rust hue around them; a calm feeling swept over him.

"This is the last fortress of Humanity, Shinji-kun."

"It's the fortress that you saved."

To him though, her words were lost. But despite the feeling of awe and inspiration, he still caught the look in his new guardian's eyes. A look that he knew all too well.

The look of fear.

Shinji stood at that same outlook again, the city looked so much different in broad daylight. It seemed as if the city had two faces...a pretentious face of perfection and the other its true form, filled with pain and darkness.

It was no surprise that she would be afraid of him. Who wouldn't be? Having your eyes spontaneously fucking GLOW amber was not a regular person. Unless their genetics had been messed around with. But he was naturally born so that wouldn't do...maybe his father wore glasses for the same reason.

"But he doesn't wear mirrored sunglasses, you stupid fuck," he muttered at himself.

The chances of him predicting when it would do this and how long it would take to settle was like his father suddenly breaking out into a rendition of that ancient musical Grease. It just didn't happen. He turned on his heel, wandering back towards the city called Tokyo-3.

"Pitiful humans," he growled.

Loki's eyes turned towards the sky, where he could sense the invisible force of a great storm to come. No, not a storm in the literal sense...but chaos.

"Shamshiel...you had better not fail," he muttered.

He knew that he shouldn't be doing this too often, that Katsuragi woman was already suspicious enough. Ikari's eyes would be a bright amber by now, with his influence as the stronger consciousness at the present moment. He would have to mask his more...obvious attributes with care.

After all, Ikari was a very special boy.

For harm to befall the troubled youth was to incur the full wrath of the Fates. Since he was death, he would have to destroy the boy. And as much as he hated to admit it, he had grown fond of the young man he had grown with.

His amber eyes, behind the sunglasses spotted the telltale signs of civilization. He snarled. "These...Lillium are pathetic. Why would the Fates want anything to do with them?!"

Just as he stepped into the actual city boundaries, he could immediately sense the danger coming. A group of teenage boys. Pathetic. His eyes behind the sunglasses glinted with malice and bloodthirst as he made the body casually stroll through the streets.

"Hey you, the punk with the sunglasses!" a voice sneered.

Shinji turned around to find five boys walking towards him, sneering and chuckling darkly. He knew immediately that he was in trouble. Dammit! If only he hadn't let...

"You're a new face 'round here..." one said cheerfully. "Why don't we give you a tour around town?"

"Um, no thank you," said Shinji. "I'd rather not."

"Come on," said another. "We insist."

"I have to get going," Shinji answered, hoping to get out of the situation without fighting. He knew just how much he loved to fight.

But then again, so did he.

One of the other boys finally lost their patience as he lunged forward with a clumsy punch, something which Shinji sidestepped easily. After being beat up so many times, he learned to do it like an art form.

Suddenly, he was surrounded by the five boys without any means of escape. The boy that looked like the leader lunged forward with yet another punch. However, something changed. Shinji's eyes flashed a brilliant amber behind his sunglasses; everything played fast forward. He already knew how the fight was going to end. With that, Loki lunged.

"You pititful child!"

He stepped into the circle of defence of his enemy, delivering a harrowing uppercut to the boy's stomach. He laughed as the boy fell to his knees, smirking as he whirled around and buried that same fist into another boy's face.

He stepped back, taking a good look at his surroundings. Two were down, three were left. The adrenaline came back with a vengeance and soon, Loki immersed himself in the battle. The thrill, the heady rush, that addictive pain...all of it. It called to him, whispered to him like a seductress. This was what they lived for.

In a matter of minutes, a series of well-timed kicks and palm-strikes had left him free of his attackers. Only one was left standing, armed with a switchblade. The boy ran at him in a desperate, final attempt to hurt him, but Shinji sharply dodged...

...the sunglasses fell off his face...

...and Loki smiled.


Within the city, a distinct snapping noise and a scream of pain echoed.

Followed by soft laughter.


Sometime near the time of the sunset, Shinji returned to the apartment, the sunglasses still sitting on his face. Misato looked up and greeted him. "How was your day?"

A soft, shy smile graced the small boy's lips. "It was fine."

Misato grinned back. "I'm glad. So how do you like the city?"

He contemplated all that he had seen...and done today. Could he answer her? Was there an answer? "It's okay. I'm still getting adjusted."

She laughed. "It takes awhile. I know."

They shared a short banter before they sat down at the table and ate their meals. Misato smiled to herself. He hadn't met their other roommate just yet but she knew, since tomorrow was Thursday that he would encounter her good-natured roommate.

He sighed to himself quietly, she hadn't suspected anything. Shortly after, he retreated to the bathroom to check his reflection. He pulled the sunglasses away from his eyes and...

...saw his own Prussian blue eyes staring back at him.

At the last moments of that fight, he knew that his eyes had blazed a bright amber, having seen his reflection in the metal behind that boy. But now that he had been burned out of his system (for now), he could finally stop wearing the sunglasses. He walked back to his room, bidding his guardian and superior officer good night.

Misato watched him go and then returned her attention back to the reports from Section 2. They had been very thorough in their report, and she shivered. They had been generous enough to include a video footage of Shinji...extracurricular activity today. The sheer menace that the young boy exuded...it sent a shiver down her spine.

Pressing 'REWIND' on the remote control, she watched again as the boy on the screen cowered in fear and absolute horror. His face contorted sharply as his arm and neck were snapped. The boy screamed.

And on the screen, the terrifyingly hypnotic eyes of Ikari Shinji danced with glee and satisfaction as the boy's life was abruptly snuffed out.

SURVELLIANCE REPORT SECTION 2 #03-0869-2015
SUBJECT: Ikari, SHINJI [THIRD CHILD]

LOCATION: OUTSKIRTS OF TOKYO-3, TOGAI DISTRICT

DETAILS: SUBJECT ENTERED CONFRONTATION WITH 5 UNIDENTIFIED TARGETS. PHYSICAL VIOLENCE. TARGETS 1 - 4 UNCONSCIOUS WITH MINOR INJURIES. TARGET 5 DECEASED. BROKEN ARM & NECK. SUBJECT FLED SCENE SHORTLY AFTER, FOUND WALKING THROUGH TOKYO-3 MUNICIPAL PARK. TARGETS HAVE BEEN DEALT WITH.

TIME: 1100 - 1528

ON DUTY AGENT: AGENT NISHIKAWA TAKESHI


And somewhere within the void, a voice that bubbled and warbled like the waters spoke. "I will not fail you, Odin."

As the sun greeted the new day, Shamshiel began to ready himself for his strike.


End Act 2

Author's Notes
I like this too much. All this Norse mythology is great! ^^ Anyways, yes, I've completely made Shinji OOC. :) Don't we all like him better this way? Come on, admit it, you've wanted to see Shinji all twisted and evil and dark like this! ADMIT IT!!! *cough* Okay, sorry. I'll stop antagonizing you.

Anyways, most of the Norse mythology listed in the fic is pretty accurate for the most part. To learn more, I got all of my information from: http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html

Saying something would be nice. If you do say something, thanks! For those who have already said something, thanks! :)

By the way, it might be confusing, but Shinji/Loki are one and the same, but they have 2 consciousness. The dominant consciousness is Shinji, but sometimes, Loki will take control in order to either safeguard Shinji for his "games" or just to beat shit up. ^^ The soul that makes up Shinji is purely Loki, but Shinji has his own consciousness. Does that make sense? So Shinji is Shinji, but Shinji's also Loki. Sort of like, multiple personality disorder, but Loki is Shinji while still being Loki.

I don't think that made any sense...

On to Act III...

e-mail: sherazard_@hotmail.com