Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion - Second Coming ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Second Coming

Chapter One - Revelation

Many years ago in Germany lived a man who went by the name Keel Lorenz. He had worked long and hard to become a leading member of the organisation known as SEELE. But one day he met a woman who changed his life forever. They fell in love and despite her being his junior by ten years they were married.

But one day the two were driving home from the retirement party for Keel Lorenz's superior. Unknown to either of them as they reached the crest of a hill in the road a driver rapidly shot along in the opposite direction. He was beyond drunk and later would claim to have no idea of what happened. But as the car reached the top the drunk driver also reached the top, and with a sickening roar the two vehicles collided.

The next morning Keel Lorenz woke up to an unfamiliar ceiling. And he couldn't feel the reassuring weight of his wife beside him. Hastily he tried to force himself up but upon trying he found something odd. His spine wouldn't move and neither would any other part of his body. Keel Lorenz found himself paralysed and with the knowledge that there would be nothing he could do.

But only one thought existed inside his mind. How was his wife or had she been hurt as well? And if she was okay why hadn't she been to see him? Tears dripped down his face as the realisation struck him. He'd been on the driver's side but it had been the passenger side that had been hit with the most force. If he got off with being paralysed then what had happened to her.

A doctor came in later on to see him and described how he had been hurt. He had taken irreparable damage to his spine. However his superior had arranged for it to be replaced with a new cybernetic spine and paid for it himself. But on the subject of his wife the doctor hadn't said anything.

The operation had gone fine and Keel Lorenz found himself walking, although with crutches to keep him stable, within less than a month of the accident. But in that time nobody had came to him with any information on the condition of his wife. That was also the day he discovered what would turn out to be the most crippling event in his life.

The day he'd gotten his body back had been the day she lost hers. She'd finally died as the life support machine she'd been attached to finally couldn't do anything to stop the inevitable. She'd passed away peacefully unaware of the attempt to save her. Keel Lorenz had just stood there staring at her serene face and wishing it was him that had died.

He briefly grew furious that SEELE hadn't saved her too but he knew of his own importance. With his superior gone he would be in charge of SEELE Germany. And SEELE would do anything to please him. They would have tried everything in an attempt to save her but it would have all been futile. No matter how much he shouted there was no way for her to come back.

But his anger found its way to its rightful target. It had been Humanity who'd killed his wife in that car crash, not just some drunkard who thought he was sober enough to drive. And it was humanity that failed to save her. And he would have his revenge.

The next day he returned to work upon which all his subordinates began to notice a change in him. He was no longer the kind-hearted Keel Lorenz who would give them the day off to go see their children's plays. He worked them hard and would berate them for not working to an unattainable standard. He soon became the man they learnt to hate Chairman Keel.

Then one day many, many years later he met a young boy who shocked him. He entered his office to find someone sitting at his desk looking at the picture of his wife that he kept in a, locked, drawer. But the boy was the most striking figure he'd ever seen.

He had a very Japanese look to him. But instead of normal hair, like black or brown, he had light grey. And his eyes, although striking, brought fear to Chairman Keel's soul. Only one person had those striking red eyes and she wasn't real. Ayanami was just a puppet, an imitation of the woman that had been Yui Ikari. However the boy was very much real and seemed greatly different to the First Child.

That had been the same day that the Second Impact occurred rocking the world. And it had been the first day of his pact with Tabris, the Angel of Free Will. Ironically it seemed to be what many would call a deal with the devil. And as one gazed upon the boy, who declared that he would rather be called Kaworu Nagisa, one would think this to be true.

Keel Lorenz looked out of the tower that served as his office in the main building of SEELE's German headquarters. His hatred still burnt inside him remembering how humanity had done it again. Humanity had perverted the final Angel. The Angel of Free Will. The one whose will should be for the destruction of mankind.

And it was Ikari who had done it. But not the normal one. He'd seen the smirk of Commander Gendo Ikari as he'd reported the event to the council and he knew that somehow he'd known what would happen. Had that been the reason why it had been his son who was summoned as the Third Child? Had Ikari really known what his son was going to do?

Whether or not Ikari had masterminded it there was no way of escaping the fact that it had happened. Ikari had won that battle but little did he know that the war was not over. Adam and Lillith, although residing under tight security in NERV Japan, still existed.

When Gendo Ikari, or Gendo Rokubungi as he had been before he married that damn woman Yui Ikari, had accepted the position as Commander of NERV they had been sure to give him the necessary material. And this of course contained the unedited Dead Sea Scrolls, of which not many people knew of. But Keel Lorenz hadn't gotten to be the most powerful member of SEELE by being gullible.

Even Gendo Ikari didn't have all the information. There were prophecies hidden even from him. And Ikari seemed to have no idea of what was being made in the other nations,

The Eva series was in full production and it would only be mere months until they were finished. And unlike Gendo they didn't have to falsify a Marduk Report. Keel Lorenz himself had been the man to find it many, many years ago while on an archaeological dig.

But the most important advantage they had over Commander Ikari was a full version of the prophecies. Not just the version that ends when the seventeenth Angel joined with Adam. He hadn't expected Tabris to fail but he had of course made preparations for either result.

Not even Ikari had been given the true Dead Sea Scrolls. Ikari had no knowledge on what was yet to come. The Heaven's still had a few tricks hiding behind clouds. And with the passing of the last messenger of God something drastic would have to be done. God's message had gone unheeded and now it was time for his war party to come to Earth.

And Ikari would just sit there with his hands held together with that smirk on his face. He was totally unaware of the truth but he would get an education on how to act around someone superior. Gendo Ikari would learn his lesson and Keel Lorenz would take pleasure in teaching him.

Shinji sat there staring out over what remained of Tokyo-3. Beside him he could feel the reassuring body heat of both Kensuke and Touji, whose wheelchair sat beside him. A week had past since Kaworu, and a week since the end of the Angels. People had began funnelling back into the city and rebuilding their lives.

Looking over he saw the smiles on both Kensuke and Touji's faces. Smiles brought about in the knowledge that their friend was safe and the pain was over. But Shinji briefly wondered whether their smiles were like his, a façade put on to reassure him. He couldn't bring himself to tell them of the last angels. He couldn't tell them about Kaworu, but he wanted to desperately.

`I uh have a question?' Shinji looked sheepishly at his two friends who seemed to take an even more focused look at him. Shinji found himself grimacing as he looked at Touji's leg. Or where it had been before Shinji had taken it, although Touji would declare that it wasn't his fault every time it came up in conversation.

`What is it Shinji? You gonna tell us about the last angels?' Touji yelled this shocking the more fragile boy who fell back to the ground. As Shinji looked up at the stars he heard Kensuke berating Touji for what he just did. Shinji desperately suppressed a chuckle at this.

`No I was wondering. How does it feel if someone says their in love with you?' he directed this more at Touji than Kensuke knowing that Touji had his own admirer. He also wondered what they'd think when he told them who had said those words, well not those exact words but it was implied, to him.

`Well it feels kinda good. And even if you don't reciprocate it's good to know that ya loved,' said Touji gruffly as he seemed to go off into a daze thinking about something. Kensuke stared at his friend before sighing exasperatingly.

`Shinji I told him that getting him a dictionary for his birthday wasn't a good idea. But you'd never listen to me. So why'd you ask? Is someone in love with you? Is it Rei, or Misato, or,' Kensuke's face contorted in disgust as he thought of someone. `Please tell me it wasn't HER,' Kensuke rolled onto his back as he rolled around obviously disgusted at the thought.

Shinji didn't have to even ask who Kensuke had been referring to. Touji and Kensuke's dislike of Asuka had been a common gag when they had been at school. And although they didn't really mean it when they declared her to be the "devil" and other colourful things it was evident that they weren't fond of her. And he knew that the opinion went both ways.

`Ah please tell me Kensuke didn't get it right. That's just sick. Please tell me you're not interested in her as well. There ain't no way I'm going to you're marriage,' Shinji frowned at the way Touji overreacted. He also doubted that Touji had remotely heard any other part of the conversation except Kensuke asking whether it had been Asuka who declared her love for him.

Of course that would be a disgusting sight. The idea of little hearts floating around Asuka's head as she threw herself at Shinji while spouting poetry which professed her love for him scared Shinji. And he wasn't at all fond of telling another person what he had just thought of. If Asuka ever found out she'd kill him.

`No it wasn't her. You see it was the seventeenth angel. He appeared as a boy called Kaworu and said he was the fifth child. He told me that he was born to meet me. But he betrayed me and now I don't know what to feel about it,' he cringed waiting to hear Kensuke and Touji mocking him for having a boy fall in love with him. However those words never came.

`What happened?' was all he heard Kensuke say in a more solemn tone than before. Shinji instantly felt afraid of telling them despite knowing that they weren't disgusted at the thought. Maybe it was the expectation of an uproar that surprised him. Maybe he never thought they could understand and feel sorry for him.

`He took over Eva 02 and descended into Terminal Dogma. Eventually I caught up and defeated 02. But he just stood there and seemed to go against the will of the Angels. Adam was there ready to bond with him and destroy the world. But…' he trailed off as he remembered the sound of Kaworu's head popping off and the splash it made as it hit the river of LCL that resided inside Terminal Dogma.

`You had to Shinji. He was an Angel after all. You had no choice,' Kensuke's words indicated that he knew what had happened. Even Touji seemed to understand the implications of Shinji's pause. Kensuke slowly let Shini's head fall into his lap as he comforted the smaller boy. Shinji however knew that words could not heal the wound that formed that day.

`Kaworu was the first person to show any real care for me. My father never wanted me, Misato may take care of me but it's her job not decision, Asuka hates me and Rei. Well who knows what Rei feels? She was opening up and then after the sixteenth Angel she just goes back to her old ways,' Shinji felt tears forming and Kensuke shifted obviously not comfortable with a boy crying on his lap.

`Hey man me and Kensuke care for ya. Not that way of course. Not that there's anything wrong with that but ya know,' Touji scratched the back of his neck. Shinji felt himself laughing at the sight and soon all three boys were laughing loud as the sounds carried out over the city that was Tokyo-3.

`So I've got to go. I want to see if Asuka's awake yet. She's still in that coma,' once more there was an uncomfortable silence broken only by the sound of sweat dropping off Kensuke's forehead. Shinji felt himself wondering why they hadn't insulted her.

`I want to come with you,' declared Touji standing awkwardly with his one leg and one arm. Kensuke was up in a second helping Touji get into the wheelchair. Shinji meanwhile was staring incredulously at Touji not able to understand why he'd want to go see Asuka, his personal worst enemy.

`Um Touji I have one question, why?' Shinji spluttered this out as Touji stared at him making Shinji feel stupid for asking that. Kensuke meanwhile also seemed quite interested in the answer but hid his confusion better than Shinji.

`Well I know what it's like when an Evangelion is responsible for ya pain. I feel sorry for her,' Touji looked downcast as he struggled to say this. Kensuke and Shinji both found themselves looking at him in a different light. However Touji found himself flustered at admitting concern for that "she-witch".

`Don't worry about it Touji. I think I'll join the two of you. Who's going to protect you from HER if she wakes up,' Kensuke grinned at his friends as he started pushing Touji off towards the nearest bus stop. Shinji turned to look out one more time at Tokyo-3 before he turned and ran after the other two.

`Hey Asuka it's me again. Just my daily visit. Please wake up,' Shinji begged the pale form of Asuka. Both Touji and Kensuke looked over his shoulder feeling twinges of guilt at the frail girl who lay there so peacefully. This was a far cry from the way she'd yell at them and call them perverts. Even Touji couldn't find the heart to insult her looking at the innocent expression on her face.

`She looks so pathetic. This can't be Sohryu. There is no way it could be her,' declared Kensuke unable to believe that she could have fell so far from grace. He could see the machine blinking indicating she had a heart beat. However another machine registered that there wasn't any brain activity.

`It was horrible. The fifteenth angel mentally raped her. And then to her horror it was Rei who saved her. Then when the sixteenth appeared her Evangelion refused to respond. She just lost the will to go on,' said Shinji remorsefully as he stared down at her. She had made being a pilot her life and without any more Angels she had nothing to live for.

`Mentally raped her? That sounds nasty,' commented Touji as he found himself pitying the Second Child ever so much more. He knew that his pain had been extreme but it had been physical. And he wasn't stupid so he knew that when Shinji said mentally raped he meant that the Angel had in fact invaded her mind and fucked about with it.

`I was horrible to hear as well. I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like for her,' Shinji stared at her lifeless body unaware of the slight fluctuation in the brain activity machine. Touji found himself wanting to say something to make them feel better. He wanted to make a joke and have them laugh to relieve the tension of the situation. But not even he could at a moment like this.

`It's a rather familiar feeling. When my sister was hurt I'd come and visit her like this. It was a horrible experience. But at least she was responsive. Asuka doesn't even seem to realise that we're here,' Touji commented as the machine recorded a bit more brain activity.

`Hey Shinji have you told her that the last Angel used her Eva 02 to fight you?' said Kensuke off handedly. In hindsight had Shinji known what effect this would have he would have told her. But as it stood he hadn't told her about Kaworu's use of her most prized possession. And that's when they heard the rapid beeping of the machine as her brain activity shot up and down.

`What?' screamed Asuka shooting up straight startling all three boys. The resulting topple started as Shinji shot backwards from where he was holding her hand. He then knocked into Kensuke who had been standing beside her. And Kensuke shot backwards hitting Touji and his wheelchair knocking Touji down only for Kensuke to land on him.

`Um how are you?' said Shinji nervously as all previous thoughts of what he would say to her if she got better disappeared from his mind. Asuka meanwhile had gotten out of the bed, not knowing it had no back, and was removing all the pads that had been checking her life signs. Also unknown to her was that Shinji had spun around whereas Kensuke and Touji were just staring at her and fighting back nosebleeds.

`Well I'm actually quite hungry. Why don't you send one of the stooges to get me something to eat?' shouted Asuka as she finished off with the pads. She began searching through her drawers. But as she bent down there was a slight gust of wind that blew her gown up at the back giving Kensuke and Touji a great look.

Unfortunately for Shinji it was also when he decided to turn around. Pretty soon all three boys were sporting black eyes and Touji was back up in his chair. Kensuke was moaning about not having a camera which earned him another black eye. Eventually he decided it was probably smarter if he went and got the four of them something to eat.

`Wow I didn't think you'd ever wake up,' Shinji unconsciously threw his arms out to give Asuka a hug. Again thinking first would have helped greatly as he also walked away sporting a nice new black eye. Asuka had however found her clothes and was now fully dressed, although she changed in the toilet much to Touji's distress although there was no way he was telling her.

`So what the hell are you doing stealing someone's wheelchair? And why the hell are you in my hospital room? Are you here to have your way with my unconscious yet magnificent body? You bloody pervert,' she sneered in disgust as Touji gave her the finger. Shinji found himself jumping in before they started a fight since neither was in the right state for a fight.

`Well for your information this is my wheelchair. I don't suppose you bothered finding out why I stopped being a pilot. And the absence of my left leg should speak for itself. And you call me stupid,' Touji gave her the finger again only for her to grab it and pull it back. It was obvious that she didn't have any reservations about hurting disabled people.

`Okay stop it you two. I need to talk to the patient. I want you two boys to go away,' a white coated doctor walked into the room pushing out both Shinji and Touji. Shinji decided to talk to her when she came home.

But she didn't come home that night and Shinji soon found himself getting into his bed after making sure Misato had gone to hers. Why she still had to go to NERV headquarters everyday was a mystery to him. But since Kaworu's death she seemed to be working longer every day. Maybe she was hoping to get overtime pay before they had no more need for her.

On top of that why was he still around. Without any more Angels for him to fight there was no more need for him in Tokyo-3. And why would his father not just send him back to live with his teacher. Something didn't quite add up in this equation. NERV was hiding something once more and Shinji was sure this wouldn't be good for him.

`You seem worried Shinji. But I'm here for you,' said a familiar voice. In the corner he could see a pair of red eyes staring at him. Soon a body attached itself to the eyes. But there was no way that he could be here. Grey hair and red eyes. Kaworu was standing there looking at him intently.

`Kaworu, how? How did you get here? You're dead aren't you?' Shinji jumped out of bed throwing a t-shirt on. Kaworu giggled because he'd seen Shinji with fewer clothes on. Shinji still stood there gesturing wildly at him. Kaworu just smiled happily.

`Don't worry I am dead. But you know how it is. My body may be mortal by my soul is immortal. It will always live on with you,' Kaworu's hand brushed over Shinji and despite Kaworu's hand passing through him he felt warm at the touch and reassured that Kaworu was okay.

`You don't hate me for killing you, do you?' Shinji stared down at the floor sheepishly hoping that the answer was no. But Kaworu just laughed at this statement as if it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. Shinji briefly thought about what Kaworu had first said to him and realised Kaworu couldn't feel hatred for him.

`You know how I feel about you. I love you and that isn't any way I could wish any harm to you or feel any unhappy emotions involving you,' Kaworu just continued smiling as Shinji found himself feeling rather foolish for even saying that. But just why was Kaworu here talking to him?

`Why are you here Kaworu? Not that I'm not happy to see you or anything. I mean I am happy to see you since I've been feeling so bad the past week,' Shinji slowly mumbled off as he realised he was rambling on. Kaworu again just smiled at him laughing lightly at his friend's flustered look and the blush that had crossed his face.

`Well I have a warning for you and NERV. Heed my warning; there are more Angels yet to come. The seventeen of us were just the start. The first will arrive two days from now and I hope you're ready for him,' Kaworu just smiled however this time it was filled with sadness and Shinji knew he was truly sorry for having to bring him this message.

`And is there anything more?' asked Shinji knowing from the look in his eyes that something else was involved in this.

`You know I was sent by SEELE right? Well while I was in Germany with Chairman Keel Lorenz he told me of his plans for more Evangelions. The first was going to be mine because he planned to rule the Earth with me at his side. And he has the true Marduk Report. He already has pilots who rival your synchronisation results. And they outnumber you as it is without the Fourth having no way of piloting and I don't think either the First or Second is willing to pilot,' Shinji was sure he saw tears dripping down Kaworu's cheeks.

`I know what you mean. I'll talk to my father tomorrow. Thank you for telling me this,' Shinji reached out and was happy to find Kaworu's body had become solid for a second. It was a relief to feel his face again and Shinji was sad when he had to remove his hand from Kaworu's face.

`I have to go now but if you ever want to talk to me I'm always here. And one last thing I have to say is look for The Gates of Hell. It will solve many of your questions for you,' Kaworu's form suddenly became more and more transparent until it faded all together leaving Shinji standing there in the dark. His eyes suddenly became heavier and heavier until he had toile down in his bed. Last thing he saw before he went to sleep were a pair of glowing red eyes. But they were accompanied by a head of blue hair.