Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion - Second Coming ❯ To sign a deal with the Devil ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Second Coming

Chapter Three - To sign a deal with the Devil

Shinji contained his screaming remembering the first thing he'd been told about piloting the Evangelions. It may seem like you're being hurt but in reality it's just the Eva taking damage. Of course all the positive thinking in the world couldn't stop the Eva taking damage. And with the acidic rain pouring down he had to finish off the Angel before it did some serious damage.

`My skin. It's ripping apart my skin. Make it stop, please God make it stop,' came the screams of Eva 03 and the boy contained inside. Kensuke obviously couldn't remember that it was all in his mind. Going into battle like that was dangerous and could result in some serious damage. He had to save Kensuke or else.

`Sixth Child stop it. It's all in your head. Calm down and concentrate on fighting the Angel. Don't make me eject your plug,' Shinji stared in a daze as he realised it wasn't Misato commanding Kensuke to calm down but in fact his father. Gendo was showing compassion for someone, although he did it his own unique way.

`Okay you two you can't fight it if it's still flying. You have to get it on the ground at them fight it. Shoot its wings apart,' came Misato's order as she took over with commanding them what to do. Kensuke's screams stopped and his Eva moved into position. Both brought their rifles to bear hoping they would survive the acid.

`Okay Misato,' replied both boys as they let loose. Shinji's accuracy was much better and soon he'd ripped the left wing apart. Kensuke's however wasn't as good and only managed to hit the right wing a couple of times. However both wings were damaged enough as the Angel plummeted to the floor.

`Shinji where's its core?' asked Kensuke and for the first time Shinji realised the same. Normally the core was located in the front of the Angel however this Angel had no noticeable core anywhere on its body. This was going to be much harder then he had expected when he had started. But at least the rain had stopped and all the little holes had closed up on its body.

`Aida hold it down from the front. Shinji I want you to run round behind it and see if you can find its core. If not just attack it headlong,' came Misato's orders as if she'd have known what Shinji was thinking. Both of the pilots confirmed that they had heard it and Shinji saw his friend tensing up in his cockpit.

Bullets ripped out of Eva 03's rifle streaking towards Af Bri. But the Angel was prepared and threw up an AT field. The bullets all bounced of shooting off away from its intended target. Buildings that still stood up top collapsed up the force of either the AT field or the bullets that hit them.

`Shit. He threw it up. Your both just going to have to attack,' came Misato's voice weakly over the immense static that had formed. And Shinji knew why. The only Angel he had fought whose AT field came anywhere close to that of his current enemy was Kaworu. And even his paled in comparison to that of this new Angel.

`Okay Shini let's do it,' Kensuke pushed forwards and the slightly melted shell of Eva 03 thrust forwards as Shinji forced Unit 01 to catch up with him. Shinji felt his stomach turn as Kensuke failed to raise an AT field of his own and it was only through Shinji extending his own so it stretch to cover his friend. Shinji then drew the progressive knife and ripped into the AT field.

Unit 03 climbed up and both pressed forwards only to stumble as the field failed. But it wasn't because of them. And that's when the holes opened and let loose with streams of acid water. Eva 01 was able to move fast enough to miss the jets but Kensuke wasn't and the acid ripped holes in the Evangelion which went down with a great scream from Kensuke.

The Angel then used what was left of its tattered wings to push forwards using his stubby legs a little as he rushed Eva 01. Shinji used his AT field and as the two AT fields collided he felt the air going out of him. He could faintly feel cracks forming on the armour and knew that even with its stubby legs it was still more powerful than him because of its At field.

The two arms shot out forward and he felt pain in his chest as the six claws embedded themselves in the chest plate. Shinji knew it was over. The first seventeen Angels had been defeated from Adam to Tabris. But know Shinji realised he was going to die this day. He'd fought one battle too many and it would all be over soon.

That's when the Angel suddenly sagged and collapsed in a heap ripping off most of the chest armour with it exposing the flesh that the armour covered. Behind the body of Af Bri stood Eva 03 proudly roaring as it removed its progressive knife from where it had been shoved deep into the core which was situated between the shoulder blades of the bird like creature.

`Oh my god. I did it. I killed a fucking Angel. Oh yeah I did it, I did it. Go Kensuke, Sixth Child,' Shinji didn't have a screen showing Kensuke up but he knew that he was dancing around in the plug. He had a right to since he had as he said defeated the Angel. Slowly he forced his Eva to return to the tunnel he'd appeared up and waited to be taken back down.

`Well done Aida. I wasn't expecting you to even be able to control it that well let alone be able to help Shinji take down the Angel,' said Misato as she stood outside the room in which both Shinji and Kensuke were changing back into their clothes. Shinji saw Kensuke pout a bit when she mentioned that he'd helped Shinji.

`Actually Misato I think it was more of his effort in defeating the Angel. So really it was me who helped him take down the Angel,' Shinji felt Kensuke jump for joy at that comment despite his friends lack of movement. But the giant smile on his face indicated that he was very happy about that.

`Yeah and you can call me Kensuke. We are going to be working together,' Kensuke finally pulled the yellow t-shirt he always wore on and then grabbed his bag intending to leave. Shinji however reached out and grabbed him before he could leave hoping to have some words with him.

`Congratulations on that earlier. That was an amazing kill,' said Shinji flashing his friend a thumbs up. Kensuke then started to blush as if it was the greatest compliment he'd ever received. Shinji realised it probably was the greatest compliment he'd received.

`Anyway I'll see you tomorrow. I gonna go find my dad and tell him the good news since he should still be around here somewhere,' with a final goodbye Kensuke set off in search of his father. Shinji smiled as he realised what good this would do for his friend's confidence. He then finished off dressing himself and went home hoping Asuka would have returned by the time he got there.

Unfortunately on arrival he found nobody at home. Asuka was most likely lounging in a NERV jail cell as Section Two guarded her. As for Misato he had no idea where she was. Either she was out drinking or working. Either could be the reason the Operations Director was absent this late in the day.

Touji Suzuhara absently heard the sounds of the door to the cell he'd been trapped in fro the past few hours opening to admit someone. He hoped that whoever it was had came to tell him he'd be going home since he may only have half his limbs but his father was never home at this time and it was up to him to take care of his younger sister on days like these. Speaking of his father Touji wondered if his father knew he was here in NERV.

That's when he noticed who had stepped into the room. A man he'd only seen twice but one who couldn't be forgotten. Kozou Fuyutsuki, Sub-commander of NERV Japan, had been there when he'd been nominated Fourth Child. He'd also come to a parent-teaching meeting one day when Misato had been away. The old man hadn't enjoyed talking to the teacher and Asuka's complaints about not needing to go to school didn't seem to have helped his mood that day.

`Fourth Child I come with an offer,' Fuyutsuki was very direct in stating his reason for being there. Touji wondered why they still wanted him to pilot since the alarms had finished already indicating that whoever had been fighting the Angel had finished it off. Of course he knew that the offer would be more money in exchange for him piloting Eva 03. However his sister was okay now and needed no more treatment and he had no intention of going back in to the giant machine of death.

`I don't want money and I won't pilot Unit 03,' replied Touji staring away hoping that NERV would get bored and leave him alone. However the coughing of Fuyutsuki indicated that there was no way he was leaving without the answer he wanted. But he, unlike the other ones who had been to offer something, didn't seem dissuaded by this.

`I can offer you something much better than money. And we no longer need you to pilot Eva 03 since we have already found another pilot for it. However the First Child is missing and the Second refuses to,' this peaked Touji's information. Neither of the other two children seemed the kind to not fight an Angel. And who was stupid enough to pilot an Eva that had been possessed by an Angel once?

`Okay you can make your offer but I don't think it'll change anything Mr Fuyutsuki,' Touji swivelled around to face the older man. Fuyutsuki sighed and began to speak.

Gendo Ikari walked into his office to find someone sitting behind his desk. Takao Nyoichi sat there leaning back with his feet on the desk. But Gendo was unfazed by this and just calmly sat on the other side. What followed was a typical uncomfortable silence when someone was in Gendo's office.

`So I have a question Commander Ikari. Today when you saw the Angel you named it Af Bri. How did you know that was its name?' asked Mr Nyoichi obviously unable to comprehend what he found to be a very odd situation.

`You told me did you not?' said Gendo smugly. He knew Takao hadn't given him the names just as Takao knew he hadn't. This was another one of the commander's games. And Takao had fallen right into it. He would have to do his best to win it but he knew he'd forfeit first. He always did give up first.

`No, I never gave you the sheet of names. You knew the existence of more Angels didn't you. You knew of them before Shinji came to you. And you knew before I told you. Didn't you Mr Ikari,' Takao hoped he could goad Gendo into getting angry. However Gendo just laughed at him as if he'd just told the greatest joke in the world.

`Yes admittedly Old Man Keel had the Dead Sea Scrolls edited while I was still learning to walk. And that's what he assumed would be his advantage. But Kozou has been alive just as long as him. And in his time he's read a lot of interesting books. Just so happens that he has a copy of the Scrolls that he's had for some time,' Takao was sure he could see a faint smirk on the commander's face but kept his observation to himself.

`Well that explains it. What's this report about?' Takao swiftly grabbed a piece of paper off the top. Held on by a paperclip was a photo of an Eva's head. It wasn't one of the four that was housed inside NERV Japan. Instead it had a silvery colour all over. Takao recognised it as Unit 04. But that had been destroyed in NERV America hadn't it.

`I see you don't understand. NERV America relocated to its B site Area 12. They then set about remaking Unit 04. They have it finished and it will be shipped over here in two days, hopefully without SEELE's knowledge,' Gendo resumed his staring and Takao found one problem with NERV Japan getting a fifth Evangelion unit. In the last battle they only had two pilots and two spare Evas.

`And who exactly will pilot this Eva. Rei's still missing and Asuka is still refusing. On top of that both their Evas have been fixed from their last battles. And the Fourth, Mr Suzuhara, is a few limbs short is he not?' Takao allowed himself a small smile. Today he would best Gendo Ikari at his favourite game.

`No. We have made him an offer he can't refuse. He has accepted and will pilot Eva 04 after his operation,' Takao wondered what operation would be performed on the Fourth Child and how it would help him pilot again. If Gendo hadn't noticed the boy was still lacking an arm and a leg. Takao however decided to leave it at that.

Rei sighed as she looked at Shinji sleeping peacefully in his bed. She longed to slip in beside him but some part of her told her she couldn't. He knew what she truly was and she knew he would be repulsed by it. But how she yearned to hold him in her arms. She briefly wondered if she should leave a message for Major Katsuragi telling her that her lock didn't seem to work.

`You love him don't you? I see it in your eyes just as I see it in mine,' came the serene voice causing peace to pass over Rei's troubled mind. Standing behind her was the grey haired boy who had been the Fifth and the Seventeenth. He was the one who caused Shinji all that pain but there was nothing she could do to him.

`Yes I am very protective of him. And so are you?' she asked this as a question not sure of what the he felt for Shinji. He laughed and she wondered what she had said that had been funny. Maybe if she could say it to Shinji he would be happy again.

`Ah Ayanami this is why I love you just as I love him. But no I don't feel the same about him as you do. I love him and wish he was mine. But you are different. I do not truly understand your feelings for him but they aren't just love,' he replied cryptically as she looked at the beautiful smile he flashed her. She briefly realised why Shinji had been so sad to see him go. Tabris' mortal form bled charisma.

`I do not understand. How can my love be different than yours?' she couldn't grasp the idea that other forms of love existed. Were there others that went past the romantic version she knew? And how could this Angel know more than her. He hadn't ever existed and Kaworu Nagisa had never been a real person.

`Oh yes there are many. Yours is confusing. It is a lot like that of a mother for a son. However you are not his mother,' Rei felt herself smile as the Angel found himself confused by his own words. She was glad that he would feel as confused as she did and it had wiped that grin off his face.

`I am not. I am too young. I am also not human,' said Rei answering the boy's question. Hearing this caused his smile to come back instantly and Rei found hers fading.

`You are right but you are also wrong. You are his mother but you are also not. I see it now. I see the source of his pain,' Kaworu seemed to have come to a revelation concerning the subject.

`I do not understand you. I can only be one or the other. And I cannot be his mother therefore I am not his mother,' Rei said this confidently but she began to feel some doubt in her words. Why did Commander Ikari feel so much for her? Was she Yui Ikari or was she Rei Ayanami? Did she exist?

`I see you are confused. Honestly I do not understand it myself. But I will try and if I work it out I will tell you. I will tell you because Shinji loves you and so do I now,' Kaworu seemed to be ready to dissipate when Rei stopped him with her AT field. Something had to be said.

`I can't let you hurt him. I know you love him and he loves you. But I will not let you hurt him in any way,' she said this fiercely hoping for the normal reaction when she feared someone would harm Shinji. But Kaworu's was different. He looked at her calmly but seemed to be confused.

`No. I will say that to you because I know the prophecies. You will not harm him while I still exist. And you wouldn't like to see my true form,' Kaworu finally disappeared leaving Rei herself feeling something new. She felt fear at his threat and his mention of the prophecies. Which one said she would harm Ikari?

`You will,' came the silent whisper from somewhere. Rei decided she had to distance herself from Ikari. She didn't want to risk hurting him. Briefly she tried to identify the voice. But it wasn't Kaworu as she had half expected this new voice was silky although definitely male. Whoever it was she felt a chill going through her