Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Revelations: The Power of Love ❯ Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2

Friends

Five days later, Misato and Ritsuko are standing outside of the 7th cage, which stores Eva Unit 01.

"Is something bothering you, Misato?" asks Ritsuko.

"It's Shinji and Asuka."

"What happened?"

"I really don't know. All I know is that they haven't left their rooms for five days! They only leave to get something to eat or go to the bathroom. I would try to talk to them, but they just ignore me!"

Misato slumps over on the railing.

"Did anything else happen?"

"Yeah, this whole thing started after they had a fight or something. I'm not sure as to what exactly happened. Neither of them are their usual selves. What should I do, Ritsuko?"

She buries her face in her arms atop of the metal railing. Ritsuko looks at her friend for a moment before answering.

"Well, I would say talk to them, but it appears that that won't work. Have you tried having their friends talk to them?"

Misato stands straight up.

"That's a great idea! I'm sure Toji and Kensuke could get Shinji back to normal and Hikari could get Asuka back! Thank you Ritsu-chan!"

Misato rushes off to make some phone calls.

"What a mother does for her children…"

Ritsuko walks off towards her office.

Later that afternoon, Toji and Kensuke stand in front of Misato's door.

"Wonder what happened to Shinji? I haven't seen him for a while," says Kensuke.

"I don't know, but from how Misato sounded, it was serious."

"Toji! Mr. Aida! What are you doing here?"

Both boys turn around to find Hikari standing behind them.

"Oh, um, hi class rep!" responds Kensuke.

Kensuke glances at his friend before elbowing him.

"So, since when did she start calling you `Toji' and not `Mr. Suzuhara,' huh? Have you finally told her that you...Ow!!"

Kensuke rubs where Toji punched him in the arm.

"Toji! What did you do that for?"

"Well, he, um…."

The door opened, revealing Misato.

"Oh, you're here already! Please, come in!"

"Saved, eh, Toji?" whispers Kensuke.

"After you, class rep."

Hikari walks pass the two boys and into the apartment. Toji follows her.

"He really likes her..."

Kensuke walks into the apartment. The door automatically shuts behind him with a slight hiss of air.

The three students are seated around the table in the living room with Misato.

"You're probably wondering why I called you here."

"Yeah, we are," responds Toji.

"Well, to get down to the point, Shinji and Asuka just aren't acting like their normal selves."

"That happens a lot with Shinji," says Kensuke.

"Yes, but not like this. They haven't left their rooms for the past five days and they won't talk to anyone."

"So, you want us to try to get `em back to normal, right?" asks Toji.

"Basically, yes."

Toji stands up gets Kensuke in a headlock.

"Don't worry! Me and Kensuke here can get ol' Shinji back! We've done it before and we're his best fiends!"

Toji releases his gasping friend. Kensuke lands on the ground, taking deep breaths of air.

"Yeah, what he said," he chokes out.

Kensuke adjusts his glasses as he sits back up.

"Great! Shinji's room is right over there. Um, I would suggest you knock first."

Toji and Kensuke head towards Shinji's room.

Toji knocks on Shinji's door.

"Oi, Shinji! It's us! Toji and Kensuke!"

They wait awhile with no response coming from Shinji.

"Shinji! You in there or what?"

Kensuke presses his ear against the door and hears some shuffling inside.

"What do you want?"

"We're here to talk some sense into ya!"

"I...just wanna be alone. Please leave me alone…"

"There you go with that `alone' attitude of yours! Geez, don't make me come in there and beat some sense into ya!!"

"Just leave me alone..."

"Man, did that red-headed demon do something to ya or what?"

Suddenly, the door opens, revealing Shinji looking down at the floor. Toji smirks at his accomplishment and smiles at his depressed friend.

"Well, welcome back, Shin…"

Toji is cut off by Shinji's right fist connecting with his jaw. It results in Toji falling onto the floor. Kensuke can only stare in shock at Shinji as he closes the door.

"Oi, Toji! You ok?"

"Yeah…."

Toji rubs his jaw.

"What brought that about?"

"I don't know. May be it has to do with you calling Asuka a demon again."

The boys stare at each other, each thinking the exact same thing.

"Toji, do you think…?"

"Him and her? Never."

Kensuke helps Toji up and they head back into the living room.

At about the same moment, Hikari knocks on Asuka's door.

"Asuka? It's me, Hikari."

"Please go away Hikari."

"Come on Asuka! You can talk to me. Or is the best Eva pilot giving up?"

Hikari stares hopefully at the door, hoping that her friend will take the bait and protect her pride.

"Just leave me alone."

"Asuka…"

"Please…"

Hikari stares at the door for a moment before heading back to the living room.

Misato looks up and sees Toji and Kensuke walking back.

"How did it go? Did you mange…Toji! What happened?!"

"Oh, its nothing. Shinji just gave me a right hook. It's not that bad, really."

"What till I get my hands on him…"

"You shouldn't be angry at him, Misato."

"And why not Kensuke?"

"He seems to be going through a difficult time, I suggest you just let him be for a while and let it pass."

"We tried our best Misato. You're right, though. We've never seen Shinji like this before."

"And Asuka."

The group turns to see Hikari walking back.

"She won't even talk to me! She won't even say anything about being the best and…Toji! What happened to you?!"

Kensuke can't help but smile and nudge his tall friend in the side.

"Heh, so nothing's going on between you and the class rep., right?"

"Shut up Kensuke!"

"Well, thanks for trying, you guys. You want something for that Toji?"

"Nah, I'll be fine. It's nothing. Let's go Kensuke."

"Hey, wait for me!" shouts Hikari as she runs after them.

The trio departs the apartment. Misato watches as they leave from the door. She heads back inside and grabs a beer. Penpen walks up to her side.

"Wark?"

Misato looks at the penguin.

"I hope they can get over it too, Penpen. I hope so too…"