Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Second Coming ❯ Settling In ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven: Settling In
 
There's lots of stuff that you never see in the TV show that goes on behind the scenes. The reason you don't see it, I'm sure, is because 90% or more of it is as boring as hell, and would interrupt the flow of the episode. The debrief and introductions at NERV immediately after our arrival at Tokyo-3 was one such situation.
"Mein Gott," Asuka said facetiously as I pulled out my NERV uniform in the locker room. "It's not a tomboy after all!"
By the way, before I get too far into this scene, for those of you expecting a long and drawn out description of what transpires between Asuka and me in the shower, etc., you are going to be sorely disappointed. That's all I'm going to say about that.
"I told you I wear skirts," I shot back at her. "Just not where what happened to you is going to happen."
"Whoa."
I was bent over about to step into the uniform skirt when Asuka made that comment. As my legs were still aching from the synchronization feedback, I said, "What? Did I bruise?"
"Nein," she said softly. "Sorry, I shouldn't have been so rude.. it's the scars.."
"Oh," I said after a moment's consideration on what she meant. "They're that visible, are they?"
"From this angle, yes.. a little. Not much, though."
I stood up and fastened the skirt, turning around to face her. "It's okay. I don't mind. They're going to be with me for a long time."
"What happened?" Asuka wanted to know.
"Just before I was selected as a pilot," I said, unknowingly repeating the explanation I'd started one time before with her. "My parents and I were in a car crash in my hometown. I was the only survivor."
"It's amazing you can even walk, let alone pilot Eva," Asuka said.
I shrugged, pulling on the turtleneck shirt. "I guess the hospital care I got while I was out was second to none."
"Must have been," Asuka agreed with a nod and a smile. "Sorry for bringing up bad memories."
"Don't worry about it," I said softly. "I try to bypass the bad ones and replace them with the good on-the-fly. Know what I mean?"
It didn't dawn on me until after the words were out of my mouth that of all the people I could have said that to, Asuka was probably the worst choice I could have made.
"I'll have to try it sometime," she said plainly after a moment's pause. "You ready?"
"Almost," I said, relieved she'd taken it so well. I put on the uniform jacket and buttoned it up. "How's that look?"
"Like a good little soldier," Asuka smirked. "How about me?"
I looked her over; the trademark yellow dress was her choice of clothes. "It's a pretty universal look," I said. "Can't go very wrong with it."
"Danke, Fourth!" she said. "Let's go meet the boss."
 
Let's go meet the boss.
Let us deliberately commence personal interaction with our commanding officer.
Allow us to introduce ourselves to none other than the man known as Commander Gendo Ikari.
Yes, let's indeed. Unless there's a hot poker handy with which you'd like to stab me in the eye repeatedly.
To tell the truth, it wasn't as bad as all that. Intimidating? Hell yes. We only ever really got to see one decent angle of that ridiculous office of Gendo's in the anime. Imagine standing within it, with all the symbols and designs imprinted and engraved on the floors and ceilings, in the near-total darkness, with a man seated at a gargantuan desk dozens of feet away, and no doubt in your mind that the lack of anything else in the room means that the only thing being focused on right now is you. Talk about being put on the spot.
Asuka was blissfully unaware of my nervousness upon facing Ikari. She stood proudly, hands clasped behind her back, as she had when first on the bridge of the Navy ship. Trying to look cute again, so I presumed.
"Good afternoon, pilots," the man across the way said in Japanese.
I waited for Asuka to say her hello before I added mine, hopefully not sounding too freaked out.
"I understand you have had an Angel encounter already, upon your arrival in Japan."
"Yes, sir!" Asuka answered for us. "The Angel was defeated well within the five minute limit of Eva Unit 03's battery supply."
"I've read the report," Ikari said flatly. "It was a satisfactory outcome."
I felt Asuka bristle beside me, and hurried to speak before she could respond. "Thank you, sir," I replied. "We welcomed the opportunity to demonstrate our abilities."
"Indeed. Well, Captain Katsuragi will see to your accommodations and such. Dismissed."
I bowed slightly and turned, gently tugging at Asuka's wrist to bring her along. She came with me, thankfully waiting until after we got out of the office to grumble about Gendo's choice of words.
"'Satisfactory'?" she said. "We kicked its butt!"
"Maybe he's a hard man to impress," I said. "Let's just let it go and try to wow him next time. Okay?"
"Whatever," she shrugged. "Let's go find Misato so we can get our apartments arranged."
"Okay," I nodded, falling into step behind her.
 
I wasn't present for the outburst that surely came when Asuka learned she was bunking in with Shinji and Misato. However, I did get a surprise of my own when I made my way to my new address.
The building looked familiar from the outside as I strolled up - my belongings having been transferred by courier/Section Two - taking advantage of the warm weather and the fact my body was fit and trim. I hadn't enjoyed a good brisk walk in ages, besides the exercise I'd been getting since being selected as the Fourth Child.
As the elevator deposited me on the twelfth floor, I found the place to have a large center courtyard or atrium, a natural light shaft running the full height of the building. I sought out room 1211, and as I got nearer to my destination, my suspicions were more and more confirmed.
I found 1211 almost in the corner of the floor, separated from the prime location by one unit. That one unit, if you haven't clued in yet, was labeled "M. KATSURAGI".
Keying my way into 1211, I found it was significantly smaller than what I imagined Misato's place to be. Evidently corner apartments still had some privileges even in post-2I Japan. Mine reminded me more of what Rei's must have been like - minus the dinginess and the mess and all. It was a single room at the end of a short hallway, with a miniscule kitchenette on one wall - little more than a sink, two cupboards, and a place for a hot plate. The room had a bed and a small chest of drawers, and a doorway led into the small washroom, where a toilet, sink, and a shower stall resided. The one luxury was that the 'window' was a larger-than-usual size, actually more of a small sliding glass door, letting one out onto a moderately-sized balcony.
Again, my belongings were already delivered - two cardboard boxes and two suitcases. I would definitely need more things than what I had to my name in order to make my house a home, but that could wait. For the moment, I changed out of my uniform (into a T-shirt and a pair of shorts, if you must know), and went out onto the balcony to take in the view.
I leaned on the railing and looked out over Tokyo-3, its buildings raised up in a traditional cityscape format. For a few moments, I wondered how much of the city was a real functional city, and what was mere storage for my - and the other Eva pilots' - benefit.
"Wark," came a sound from my right. I jumped and spun, finding a penguin at the transparent Lexan divider between my balcony and the neighboring one towards the corner of the complex.
"Shit," I breathed, not ready for the real live Pen2 before me. "Hi."
Pen2 cocked his head slightly, as if a dog curiously gauging my reaction to his bark. I stared, not sure what to do next.
"His name is Pen2," came a familiar voice from within the apartment. Momentarily, Misato stepped out, in her tank top and shorts outfit I'd seen in the anime before.
"Ah," I acknowledged, as if I didn't know already. "Howdy, neighbor," I quipped to her. "Should I assume you had something to do with my lodgings?"
"Guilty as charged," she said, holding up a hand. "To be brutally honest, it makes it easier to keep tabs on the lot of you. It's just that there's no more room in my place."
"It's fine," I shrugged, leaning on the divider. "I'd feel like I was intruding, anyway."
"Never!" Misato insisted. "You're to feel welcome at any time. Understood?"
"Gotcha, boss," I said. Pen2 looked up at my hand, dangling over the divider, and took a tentative nibble.
"Ow!" I yelped, drawing my hand back. Misato laughed.
"No, I don't have any food," I said to him, using the same tone and phrases I used on my dogs back in Jack's life.
"He's just being friendly," Misato told me. "He's actually quite domesticated."
"I'll have to buy some fish tomorrow," I promised. Directing to Misato, I said, "If that's okay."
"That'll be fine," she smiled. "I take it that means you're going to come over and be welcomed to the neighborhood tomorrow?"
"Sure," I said. "Do I need to bring anything?"
"Only an appetite," Misato grinned. "It's Shinji's turn to cook. Be prepared for a fantastic feast."
 
The subsequent day was a Saturday. I started it out by going out for some groceries and stuff, carting back enough to fill my meager cupboards. As promised, some raw fish was among the haul.
Storing it for the afternoon was a task, which I accomplished by buying a Styrofoam cooler and some ice. I didn't have a refrigerator or freezer, if you didn't notice. That was rectified by a trip to an electronics/home furnishings place, where a small fridge with freezer and some other things (various gadgets and junk you never think about until you need it, mainly) were bought. A trip to the local Ikea resulted in a table and chairs (two), plus a couple other accessories - all delivered promptly that afternoon, and assembled/installed by yours truly before dinnertime.
I don't want to hear one word about this next part, but I also went and got some more clothes while I was in shopping/purchasing mode. The fact of the matter was, when I bought my first batch of clothes in Vegas, I was still thinking with Jack's brain - in other words, not entirely settled into my new role as Jill. So I'd bought long pants and full long-sleeved shirts and stuff. I hadn't been prepared for the fact that Second Impact had drastically changed the world and its weather - on the day I'm describing now, it was over 35 degrees Celsius in Tokyo-3. To make a long story short, I updated my wardrobe with clothes that suited the climate of the Hakone region. And because I'm a teenaged girl now, I chose to attire myself accordingly. Like I said at the start, don't give me grief or needle me about it. I'm living Jill's life now, and I need to adapt to it.
Having said that, I was in the apartment late in the afternoon, waiting for the fridge and other appliances to arrive, and sitting on the floor, Swedish screw-turning-widget in hand, trying to affix the legs of my new dining table to the top. Wiping sweat off my brow, I grumbled and wrestled the table leg into place again, wishing for another pair of hands or something to help me with the construction work.
The door chime, of course, went off just then. At first, I didn't know what it was, having never heard it before. Once I figured it out, I hurried to the door and pulled it open, expecting delivery men..
..and instead finding Shinji Ikari standing there, in his school uniform, carrying an extra bundle. He looked uneasy or hesitant for a moment, then said, in painstakingly practiced English, "Hello.. Miss Thomson.."
I smiled brightly and said, "Hello, Ikari. Your English is pretty good!"
"Thank you.." he drew out, then looked down at his burden, and held it out to me. "For you.."
No, it wasn't like that, you fools! He had in his hands one of those ubiquitous plastic-wrap clothing bundles. Through the transparent cover, I saw swatches of blue and white.
"Ohh," I said, recognition dawning on me. "School uniform."
"Yes," he nodded. "You will.. expected to.. wear on Monday."
I smiled and thanked him, then called on my ever-growing command of Japanese to add, "We don't have to speak English if you'd rather not. I could use the practice in Japanese."
He blinked, then answered in English, "As could I.. in English." He smiled a little.
I laughed politely, my mind struggling with the concept of Shinji with positive emotions. "Fair enough."
He glanced past me into the apartment, noticing the furniture debris. "What are you doing?"
I looked to see what he was looking at, then smiled back at him. "Oh, I'm trying to put together some things I bought today. It's a bit of a struggle."
"Do you want.. some help?" he asked, the hesitation this time not from having to conjugate on the fly, or so I gathered.
"Sure, if you don't mind," I said, stepping aside. "Come on in."
He stepped inside very deliberately, taking his shoes off and setting down his book bag at the door. I watched him and reminded myself that I'd have to focus on such customs now that I was living in Japan - the last thing I needed was to offend someone by trampling all over their house with my shoes on.
"Oh," he said as he stepped inside fully and recognized the upside-down piece of furniture. "A table."
"Yeah," I said, with a chuckle. "You wouldn't think putting it together was so hard, but sometimes you just need four or five hands to accomplish a task. Know what I mean?"
He nodded. "I guess," he said. "What can I do?"
And so, for the next half-hour or so, the Third Child and the Fourth Child worked at making the latter's place look more like a home than a storage locker. Putting the table and chairs together was fairly easy with, as I mentioned earlier, an extra pair of hands assisting. Right about as we were finishing up and cleaning up the cardboard scraps and such, the appliances arrived. Fridge and microwave and toaster oven were all stacked one atop each other beside the 'kitchenette', and the TV was placed on a small coffee table/end table type thing we'd put together after the dining room table. The rest of the stuff - hand mixer, can opener, etc etc etc., was piled on the countertop for me to sort through later.
"You've been on a spending spree," Shinji observed, turning around once or twice to regard the bed covered in clothes and stuff (and the aforementioned Styrofoam cooler, in case you think I forgot about it), the things we'd put together, and the newly arrived appliances.
"I can't feel comfortable in a new place until I have everything set up the way I want it," I explained. "Thanks very much for your help."
"I.. it was my pleasure," he said, again smiling. "I was happy to be of use."
"'Be of use'," I scoffed. "You make it sound like you're a tool or a servant. Don't demean yourself like that. You're a friend helping out a friend. Got it?"
"Uhm.. okay," he said, caught off guard by my reaction.
Truth be told, I don't know why I responded as I did, or if I thought it would have any positive effect. It was just something I felt I had to say at the time.
"Anyway," I said with a smile, "I guess I should let you get home and start cooking. I understand we'll be eating like kings tonight!"
"What?" he said with surprise. As he began to understand my meaning, he answered, "Oh.. I don't know about that.. everyone says I'm good, but it just comes with practice.."
"Well, I look forward to it," I replied. "All I've had today was some McDonald's at noon, and I'm starving!"
Shinji looked uncomfortable at that point, and I realized my joking was being misinterpreted as putting him on the spot. I tried to backpedal and explain myself, but he was shaken enough by my weird attitude already. I just let him go and decided to get showered and cleaned up so I'd be ready when it was time to go meet the neighbors, so to speak.
 
I headed over about an hour later, after spending 15 minutes showering and 45 picking out something appropriate to wear, worrying about my appearance, and all that. (Yes, I did. Deal with it.)
"Come in!" Misato's voice came through the door upon my ringing of the PinPon. I shifted the fish (paper-wrapped, of course) into one hand and slid the door open, remembering to step inside and shed my shoes right away, while I called out, "It's Jill!"
"Welcome," Misato said from the table. "Come on in. We're just sitting down now."
I walked in and held up the fish. "I have a peace offering here," I quipped. "Where does it go?"
"Probably right in his belly," Misato laughed. "Pen2! Thomson-san is here!"
The 'fridge' in the corner opened and out waddled the penguin, coming over quickly and pecking at the paper wrapper. I let out a soft laugh - will you give me grief if I admit it was a giggle? - and opened one end of the wrapping, pushing the fish out head-first like they were hot dogs poking out of a bun.
SLLRPP! In a flash, startling me, they were gone down the waterfowl's gullet, tail, bones and all. Misato laughed, mainly at my reaction, I think.
"I think you have a new friend," the captain teased.
Pen2 pecked at the empty paper for a moment, then waddled off. I shook my head and smiled, then said, "Where can I put this now?"
"Garbage is over there," Misato pointed, using a finger on the hand already holding an open can of beer. I went over to the kitchen counter where she'd indicated, where Shinji was cooking up a storm.
"Hello," I said to him. He looked up and smiled, nodding, turning back to his work. "Smells good," I added.
"Thank you," he told me. "It will be done soon."
As I was dumping the paper in the trash, I heard a facetious gasp of shock behind me. "And she stuns us all once again," a German-accented voice called out. "Human after all."
I turned and smiled. Asuka was speaking of my attire - a newly-bought pinkish button-up short-sleeved shirt, and a white knee-length pleated skirt, with white socks to finish things off. At least I thought it was good enough to wear to a casual function such as this - as you well know, I didn't have much experience in the matter. "Good evening to you too, Second."
"Good evening, Fourth," Asuka said, cracking a grin. "Did I hear you say something about a peace offering?"
"I brought Pen2 some fish," I said, gesturing to the penguin, now sipping beer out of a dish on the floor.
"Oh good," Asuka quipped, sitting down at the table. "Maybe that'll keep the beast off my back for a day or two."
"Should I consider it blood money?" I said, carrying on the joking as I pulled out a chair as well, taking a seat across from Misato and to Asuka's left.
Asuka stifled a laugh - although Misato let out a good guffaw. "Sounds about right," the Second Child decided. She turned her attention to Shinji. "What're you making?"
"Pepper steak stir fry," he declared. "It's almost ready."
"It smells great," I contributed. "I loved it when my mom made it, when I was a kid."
That brought some silence to the room, and after a moment, I realized it could have been because of one of two things - me talking about mothers to two people (and possibly three) who lost theirs tragically, or, me talking about 'when I was a kid' when I was supposed to be 14 myself.
"It's ready," Shinji said, bringing the wok over to the table and setting it in the middle. I had to snatch my hand back twice: Once when I realized I was diving in before anyone else (and before the traditional 'grace'-like declaration), and once again when it was in danger of being speared by several sets of utensils as everyone went after the food at once.
"We've got some forks if you want, Jill," Misato offered after everyone had filled their plates.
I looked down with determination at my hand, where I was trying to arrange the chopsticks in the proper way. "No thanks," I said. "I'm gonna learn how to do this or starve trying."
It wasn't too hard once I had a couple of lessons - from the extrovert Asuka, of course. It helped that it was largish strips of meat I was going after and not grains of rice or something - though that was a side dish too. Ultimately, I'd learn how to do it properly - if for no other reason than the food being so good that I was determined to eat it as quickly as possible.
We ate in silence for the most part. As a guest, I was prepared to do whatever the 'family' did in that regard; far be it from me to be the chatty type if the usual procedure is to do the opposite. As I said, anyway, it was good enough that there was little time to stop and talk.
"That was excellent, Shinji," I said. "Thank you very much."
"You're welcome, Thomson-san," came his reply.
I tch'ed and said, "I'll tell you the same thing I told Asuka, even if it fell on deaf ears that time: Call me Jill. Please."
"All right,.. Jill," Shinji said, of course, with a smile. Asuka stuck her tongue out at me playfully, and I did the same in return.
"I'm glad you three are getting along," Misato observed. "It'll make working together a lot easier, I'm sure."
"I'm just glad to have some friends," I responded. "Otherwise I'd feel pretty alone here."
"Did you not have many friends in Canada?" Shinji asked innocently.
Crap, I thought. Painted into a corner. "Well, ..not really. I was kind of shy for a long time."
"You? Shy?" Asuka contributed. "That I can't see."
"People change," I shrugged. I didn't know if it was right of me to be weaving some of my excuses for Jack's childhood into Jill's, but I was doing it anyway. "I was the kind of kid who was always in a book or staring off into space wondering why the clock hands clicked a little bit backwards before moving forward to the next minute, instead of focusing on the same things everyone else did. I guess my brain's wired a little differently. Know what I mean?"
"I think you're all like that, on your own specific levels," Misato posited, in a startlingly lucid moment considering the amount of alcohol she'd consumed already.
"I like to put it more succinctly," Asuka said, half-joking. "The Fourth is weird."
"And proud of it," I smiled, drawing myself up to my full (seated) height.
Shinji just didn't know what to make of any of it, I'm sure.
 
Later in the evening, after dinner's aftermath was cleared away, we were sitting and talking about random things.
"I like your poster," I said to Misato, gesturing to the Alpine Renault hanging over her desk tucked in the corner.
"Thanks," she smiled, after looking back to see what I was pointing to. "I have to confess I'm a bit of a car nut."
"I had that impression," I smiled. "Are you a rally fan too?"
"Sure," she said, in that kind of tone that one would use when they were mostly indifferent but not outright against something. "Motorsports in general are pretty entertaining."
"You're creeping across the borderline into tomboy again," Asuka said through clenched teeth.
"Oh hush, Asuka," I responded playfully. "Let me have my hobbies."
"It's unfortunate that as Eva pilots, you're all on standby day and night," Misato said. "Otherwise, I'd try to see if I couldn't come up with tickets to Rally Japan in the fall."
I brightened, noting with surprise that the world famous championship event was so close within my grasp, and more importantly, still a go in post-Second Impact reality. "Thanks anyway," I said. "I'd be in heaven even if I could see it on TV."
"Now that I think we can arrange," Misato said with a laugh.
"What's the minimum age for a learner's permit here?" I asked. "Is it fourt--"
"Oh, no," Misato said, laughing again. "I don't think so, young lady."
"Come on," I pleaded. "You'll trust us with a 200 foot tall biomech and yet driving a car is out of the question?"
"You have no need for a car," Misato shot back, still smiling. "If you want to get somewhere faster than your own two feet will carry you, get a bicycle."
I looked to Asuka for backup. She shrugged. "I have no interest in cars," she said. "You're on your own, Fourth."
I sighed and smiled at Misato. "You can't blame me for trying."
Shinji came in from cleaning the dishes at that point, confused by my comment, and the story had to be repeated. While we were retelling it, I couldn't help but point out to myself that if things went as I expected them to, would there even be a point? Would I survive to see my sixteenth birthday, or would there be any cars or roads to enjoy in a post-3I world?
 
Sunday was taken up by more of getting my apartment and new belongings in order, and little worthy of writing about, so we shall skip it. Monday was the first day of school for myself and Asuka. For reasons unknown to me, we were scheduled not to arrive in class until 10am, when the rest started at 9.
There was a banging on my door at 9:30. "Fourth! Are you ready yet or what?!" Asuka called.
I pulled the door open and looked at her helplessly. "How the hell do you tie these things?" I sighed.
Asuka tch'ed and set down her book bag, reaching up to tie the red string tie that was hanging loosely from my collar.
"We didn't have uniforms back home," I tried to explain away my ineptitude.
"And that," Asuka responded, "is what is wrong with schooling in the West."
"Hey, I turned out okay," I shot back.
"Says you, miss I-need-someone-to-tie-a-tie-for-me. Ach! Hold still."
I did as instructed, and in a moment, Asuka declared it as good as it was going to get. I resisted the urge to tug at it and neaten the bow, and instead picked up my book bag to join my friend.
"This is going to be a waste of time, anyway," Asuka said as we walked towards the school.
"Oh?" I asked, playing dumb once again. "Why's that?"
"I already told you, I'm sure," she said, eyeing me. "I did finish college already in Munich."
"Oh right," I said, feeling dumb. She had indeed told me that, and I'd forgotten that it was okay to 'know' it. "What did you major in?"
"Mathematics, electrical engineering, and physics," she beamed.
"Wow. Triple play," I commented.
"You got it! Which is why going to school here in Japan is pointless."
"Maybe they just want us to associate with the other kids our age," I said, shrugging. I, of course, knew the real reason behind the school, but I couldn't share it.
"Whatever. Oh, crap - I just realized something."
"What's that?"
"Those two stooges that Ikari was with on the boat.. they're probably in our class."
"Oh," I said. "Um, yeah. Safe bet."
"We'll have to find a way to make the best of it."
"Deal," I said with a smile.
 
We went into the classroom and things fell silent, except for Toji shrieking and pointing. Maybe that little episode on the carrier deck scarred him deeper than I realized, I mused.
Asuka obediently wrote her name on the chalkboard - who still uses chalk these days? - and introduced herself. I did the same afterwards, and the ancient homeroom teacher assigned us both desks.
You probably shouldn't consider him old and doddering, I realized as I went to sit down. Truth be told, he's probably only Dad's age. Well, Jack's dad's age. Whatever.
Asuka sat down and smirked at Toji and Kensuke, who both busied themselves looking away, Toji blushing fiercely. I took my seat as well, one across and one behind from Asuka, and hung up my book bag, extracting the notebook computer to connect it and prepare for the things I'd be 'learning'.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone I had thought about once or twice in the past few weeks, but not really figured out what I'd say or how I'd approach them.
The blue-haired girl sat in the same row as me, two desks to my left - right up against the windows. Her head was resting on her right hand, the hand which was at that point unbandaged and unslung, unlike the left. Her gaze was directed outside, unflinchingly.
I didn't even know if Rei Ayanami had registered my and Asuka's arrival to class.
 
Sitting at my desk, listening to the old fart (sorry, Dad) drone on about Second Impact, I busied myself with connecting the computer to the school network and adjusting its preferences. Getting on the Internet was ridiculously easy, and I spent part of the morning finding message boards and forums to join and neat sites to visit.
It was only when I had to close my web browser for a moment that I noticed the flashing mail icon. I clicked it and found 19 messages waiting since I'd signed on.
Fourteen were from various classmates, either welcoming me (in the case of the girls and some of the more polite guys) or really 'welcoming' me (in the case of the less polite guys). Two were from Hikari Horaki, a boilerplate 'welcome' message and a seemingly standard package to be delivered to new students, with a PDF of the school layout, the daily schedule, etc. One message was from Kensuke Aida, which I left for later to open, and two were from Asuka. The first from the German girl was complaining of all the 'hits' on her, surely at least as many as I'd received, if not more. The second was a forwarded copy of one of the more.. how do I put it?.. more pathetic ones, along with the answer Asuka proposed to send back. I replied that I agreed with her sentiments, and before I could react, I heard a boy in the back corner of the room sputtering and coughing. Asuka was evidently pretty quick on the send button.
So that left Aida. Okay, let's see this, I sighed to myself, and opened the message. To my shock and disbelief, it wasn't the gushy, sappy, secret-admirer tripe I'd been worrying about and expecting for days now. Instead, he'd typed out a thoughtful, articulate welcome-to-the-class letter, full of sincerity and kindness.
Oh, and he did want (please) any photos, schematics, or other materials on the Eva that I could part with. I smirked as I read that part at the end of his message. Old habits must die hard, I surmised.
 
An hour and a half after arriving at school, it was lunch time. I waited outside the classroom for Asuka.
"Ah!" she said as she nearly walked into me. "What's up?"
"Figured I'd join you, unless you have other plans," I said. "Unless you consider me a hanger-on.."
"Nonsense," Asuka said, taking my wrist and tugging. "Come with. Class rep is going to show us the cafeteria."
I realized Hikari was on Asuka's other side. "Ohayo," I said, dipping my head a little.
"Hello," Hikari smiled back. "Your Japanese is good for a Westerner."
"It's getting better every time I use it," I nodded. "Soon I'll be able to carry on a conversation without sounding like a seven year old."
"You're doing fine," the class rep laughed. "Keep at it."
"Thank you," I said genuinely. "So what does the cafeteria have?"
"Lots," came the answer. "But expensive."
"I did pack something," I said, gesturing towards the shoe lockers, where I'd stashed my 'lunch' - a cup of noodles.
"Nein!" Asuka cut in. "I am buying today, ladies. Put away your money and your food."
 
Soon, Asuka was singing a different tune.
"Pathetic, Fourth," she sighed.
"What's the matter?" Hikari asked, peering around Asuka's shoulder.
I looked down at my lunch tray, with a cheeseburger and fries on the plate, and a chocolate milk for the drink. "What?" I asked the Second.
"You're in Japan," Asuka said bluntly. "You should try some Japanese meals. Delicacies, even."
"I happen to like this particular delicacy," I said mock-snobbishly. "You don't see me demanding you gnaw on a bratwurst."
"Oh shut up," she snapped back at me.
Hikari laughed. "Forgive me, Sohryu-san, but Thomson-san won that argument."
"Jill, please," I said to her. "And Asuka knows I'm kidding. We have this.. weird kind of friendship."
"Doesn't even begin to describe it," Asuka said, counting out money to pay for the three meals.
"Wouldn't have it any other way, dear freund," I replied.
"Shut up and eat your artery-killer-on-a-bun," Asuka shot back, a little smirk on her face.
The three of us sat down at a table, joining others who Hikari apparently had reserved seats with. We were introduced to the other girls, and chatted randomly as we ate, about various things - where we'd come from, what it was like to be Eva pilots, and so on.
At this point, I kept to myself, while eyeing the others about the table, any one of you could be next. It was entirely possible that my insinuation into what I saw as Toji's place would completely upset the whole chain of events. Perhaps Kisara over there would be the Fifth Child. Or maybe no one would. Maybe it would be Kaworu after all.
I put those thoughts out of my head as I continued eating and conversing with my new classmates.
 
Phys ed was the first period after lunch. Changing along with a whole bunch of other girls was not quite a big problem, considering I'd been seen in public in a plugsuit already. Once eyes have gone up and down you in that plastic/fabric thing, I doubted much would faze me any more.
We played dodge ball for the entire period. We were assigned randomly to teams after each match, and more than once, I was on the team opposite Asuka. It was frightening to be on the receiving end of some of her throws - I knew I would have bruises at the end of the day, and even on parts I'd never bruised before. I did end up on her team twice, too, so it all evened out. She was firmly cementing herself as an overachiever, if not the star of the class - an odd thing, considering her disdain for school as confessed on our way in.
It didn't dawn on me until we were returning to the change room at the end of the class that Rei was not among us. Glancing up at the classroom, I saw her still seated in her chair, head down, clearly reading a book quite intently.
I guess she wouldn't have been able to play, anyway, I realized. That is, if her wounds are real.
It seemed like a mean thing to think, but it came to my mind just the same. Something in me made me think that Gendo would send her to school all bandaged up for nothing just to extract some sympathy or something, for reasons unknown.
Showering and changing, we all trudged back into the classroom for more Second Impact droning - I mean, lecture. The curriculum here is off the wall, I remember saying to myself. Why do they spend so much time on this bloody subject?
I'm sure I actually already had the answer, but didn't want to admit it.