Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Shaman Shinji ❯ Encounter ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own both Evangelion and Shaman King.
 
--0--
 
Encounter
 
Train station
 
“Daddy please, don't leave me” a four years old boys cried. “I'll be good, I'll do everything you want, but don't leave me alone”
 
The boy kept on his begging to a tall man wearing a black suit, however that man continued walking away from the kid as if he was deaf. That scene made some of the people of the station feel pity of the boy and some wanted to help the boy, but the sight of several goons clad in black suits and sunglasses made them stop.
 
The sound of the cries called the attention of one special person. Having his parents killed when he was young and living during all his childhood with others orphans, made him very sensitive to any child's sadness. After pinpointing the source of the cries, the person dashed to the kid in distress. What he found was a heartbreaking scene: there was a boy of about four years old, the redness of his eyes indicated that the boy had been crying for a very long time and behind him laid several suitcases and boxes.
 
“Don't go dad, don't go dad” the kid keep repeating himself over and over.
 
There was no need to say that the man in front of the kid was shocked. He was shocked and angry too, he couldn't believe that even in this epoch something like that could happened, maybe some centuries ago but not now. However there was no use to be angry after all, he knew he was unable to help the boy, no matter how hard he tried. Sighing in frustration he closed his eyes and whispered to himself, “Please don't cry”.
 
Suddenly the boy's cries became sobs and the small sniffles; apparently the man's whisper was not silent enough.
 
“Sir...?” a meekly voice broke the silence between the two of them.
 
“Uh?” the man was startled and started to look to his sides and behind him to check if the boy was speaking with someone else. When he found that there wasn't anyone else, the man use his index finger to dumbly point himself that got a nod form the boy.
 
“Can you see me?” asked the man, the boy nodded again. That was surprising there were very few people who could see him and the more surprising was that the boy was to calm about it. He remembered Manta's reaction at the graveyard when Yoh and he first met and the time that Manta needed to get used to be around spirits.
 
“Yes, I can see you. I can see spirits but nobody believes me” the boy finally spoke.
 
The man nodded and smiled warmly to the boy. The man or spirit has long purple hair and wears samurai clothes. “Don't worry I believe you, by the way my name is Amidamaru what is your name kid?”
 
“I'm Shinji Ikari, wow! You are a samurai aren't you? Could you tell me who your lord was? Or de name of you sword, or…” the boy started to ramble gaining a chuckle from Amidamaru.
 
Amidamaru was amused for this kid; moments ago he was crying his heart out and now was pestering him with question about his life as samurai. By the way he had something to ask the boy.
 
“Shinji…is that your name?” Shinji nodded. “I wanted to know, why didn't you freaked out when you saw me?” asked Amidamaru.
 
“Well…my parents were always working and leave there alone.” Amidamaru nodded. “Then during one night I heard some crying, I walked to the balcony and then I found the Sanzenin's.”
 
“The Sanzenin's?” Asked Amidamaru.
 
“Yes, they lived in an old apartment complex. They died during WWII. They have been there since that.”
 
“Didn't they scare you?”
 
“Yes, I screamed and ran to my room. When I told my parents what had happened, my dad told me don't create stories, but mom said It was normal for children to have imaginary friends.”
 
“What did you do?”
 
“Because each night they kept crying, one night I decided to ask why.” Amidamaru nodded in anticipation. “They shared with me their sorrow and frustration for dying that way, and from that day they started to show me during day, and at night they didn't cry anymore. When I asked Why, They told me they needed someone to talk”
 
“So you made friends of them.” The samurai asked. The boy nodded enthusiastic.
 
“They also showed me some other spirits who lived there too. They were nice but some…”
 
“What happened, Shinji?”
 
The sound of wood hitting softly the door interrupted briefly the conversation. The pattern of the sound appeared to be some person's walking and the sound getting louder means someone was walking toward them.
 
“Amidamaru, I finally found you. Come on our train is going to depart soon.” A voice talked to them. It had a calming and carefree tone.
 
“I'm sorry Yoh-dono, I was talking with Shinji. I guess I didn't realize how much time has passed.” Amidamaru responded to the new person, Yoh.
 
“Don't worry Amidamaru; you know how Anna can get so pushy so she sent me to look for you. Besides, care to introduce me your little friend?”
 
“Oh yeah, Yoh-dono this is Shinji Ikari.”
 
“Hi, Shinji”
 
“H…Hi.” Shinji gave Yoh a shy salute.
 
“So, what are you doing here?” Asked Yoh, after looking at the bags behind Shinji he made a assumption. “Are you waiting for your parents?” Yoh asked innocently.
 
Amidamaru winced, and Shinji bowed his head trembling. Then the pain of being abandon returned to him in full force and started to cry. Yoh stayed dumbfounded at that scene apparently he has messed up, but didn't know why. So he approach Amidamaru and whispered him.
 
“What's wrong Amidamaru?”
 
“I don't the details, but when I found him, he was sobbing something about his father. It seems he abandoned Shinji?”
 
“He…WHAT' Yoh asked shocked. Then he turned to Shinji, he kneed in front of him and gently put his hands on his shoulders.
 
“Shinji, it's ok, calm down, Shinji Please hear me.” Yoh rocked Shinji gently as he tried to calm him. Apparently Yoh's words were having effect as Shinji stop crying and looked up to Yoh's face. Apart for his parents, there weren't any living Shinji could relate. He only had met other people when his parents took him where they worked, but he always was seen with annoyed eyes, that's why he started to withdraw from people, even from his parents and spending more time with the spirits of the complex. But now with Yoh, there was a different feeling, somehow Shinji could feel he could trust Yoh.
 
“Shinji-kun, could you tell me what happened to you?” Shinji nodded and started to tell Yoh his story, from his mother's death and how his father reacted: blaming Shinji, telling him his mother won't come back because of him and leaving him in the train station hours ago. As Shinji was telling his story, a feeling surged in Yoh something he hasn't felt since his first fight with Faust: anger and hatred. However he dismissed those feeling, knowing that anything good could result from them.
 
“I'm a bad boy, that's why both of them left me.”
 
“That's not true, you are a good person.” Surprised Shinji looked up to Yoh. “Why?” The boy asked with hope in his eyes.
 
“My grandfather told me some years ago that only people with good heart were able to see spirits. Did you were able to see Amidamaru?” The boy nodded.
 
“That's the proof, if can see a spirit is because you have a good heart.” Yoh finished giving Shinji a heartily laugh and a toothy smile. That was a lame logic, but Shinji was only four and besides that gave Shinji hope, so Shinji took it and smiled again.
 
“Yoh-san how is that you know Amidamaru?” Shinji asked.
 
“Well, Amidamaru is my companion”
 
“Companion?”
 
“Yes, I'm a shaman and Amidamaru is my main spirit.”
 
“Shaman? What is a Shaman?”
 
“How to explain it. Hmm…Hmm.” Yoh crossed his arms and closed his eyes in concentration. “A shaman is a person…who…is…like me. Hehehe.” Amidamaru sighed at his master behavior.
 
“Shinji a shaman is a person who can communicate with spirits. Even more he can use their powers to do thing that normally are considered impossible, for example they can be used to cure a disease or to predict the future or if the shaman has a strong bond with the nature can make it rain.” Amidamaru said.
 
“Wow a shaman can do all of these things!” Both Yoh and Amidamaru nodded.
 
“And what are you capable to do?” A very enthusiast Shinji asked.
 
“Well my spirit is a warrior so both of us are specialists in fighting.” Yoh answered.
 
Shinji considered all the information giving to him, and stayed still thinking. Suddenly he raised his head to face Amidamaru and Yoh. Locking eye contact with Yoh, Shinji took a deep breath.
 
“PLEASE YOH-SAMA, TRAIN ME I WANT TO BECOME A SHAMAN.” Shinji yelled.
 
“Uh, are you really sure? That can be very tough”
 
“I don't care, I'll do anything. Please let me do it...I got nothing else.” Shinji said the last part in a tiny whisper.
 
Shinji smile warmly at him. Unfortunate for Shinji the last past he said was true: with his mother dead and being abandoned by his father his future looked dark. However there was something amiss, even if his father has left Shinji, he hasn't been alone. Yoh could sense the gaze of three men on him. They has been looking them the entire time, but they were no where to be seen. Yoh knew they were professional, with military training and probably armed. In normal conditions that wouldn't worry him so much, but at the moment he didn't have his medium so he has to be cautious.
 
“Shinji, is that your last word? Do you want to become a shaman?”
 
“Yes”
 
Yoh has to think about it. He wanted to help this boy, but make him a shaman; well he has to convince a lot of people. The first and maybe the most difficult was Anna, after all she always opposes to every Yoh's project, but he knew she has a good heart. His grandfather was very wary with the people who wanted to become a shaman, like he was with Ryu. The rest like his father and grandmother, Yoh knew they won't have any problem with that. His train of thoughts was derailed by a voice of certain someone.
 
“What do you think you are doing Yoh?” Both Yoh and Amidamaru yelped, gaining form Shinji a curious look. “Our train is going to leave and you are here playing with a kid”
 
“Hehe…Anna…you see…we were hehe” when Yoh saw Anna's eyebrow twitching he finally got his wits. “Anna this kid here is Shinji Ikari”
 
“And, what about he?” Anna interrupted.
 
“Well he is able to see spirits.” Apparently that got Anna attention. “And he wanted to become a shaman so I'm going to take him to grandfather to train him”
 
“What do his parents think?” asked Anna unaware of Shinji's condition. Shinji eyes watered again but Amidamaru gentle touch prevented him to cry again.
 
“Anna please, this is complicated. Can we discuss it later.” Yoh told Anna with an unusual stern voice and equally surprising Anna didn't argue against it.
 
“However Yoh, what are you going to do about them?” Anna was referring about the three suspicious dressed in black watching them.
 
“Umm…I don't know, I guess telling them we're going to take Shinji with us.” Anna rolled her eyes for Yoh's easygoing attitude.
 
“Come on everyone we don't have too much time to lose.” With those final words Anna left them.
 
“But Anna.” Yoh was picking Shinji's baggage. “What about…”
 
“Don't worry about them”
 
“Uh?” Yoh moved to the nearest of the men in black. He looked stoic and intimidating, but even with Yoh in front of him, he didn't do anything. Yoh waved his hand and nothing. Then he heard a mumbling. Curious the young shaman closed to him to hear the man.
 
“zzzzzzzz” Was everything the man said. After that a bubble formed from his nose. Yoh chuckled, Anna has used some charm on those men allowing Yoh & co, to make their retreat.
 
-0-0-0-
 
A short young man was guarding a large number of boxes and bags, most of them were souvenirs. The man was checking his watch. “Where are them, we're going to miss the train.”
 
“Oi, manta.” A cheery voice called him. The young man called Manta turned his head to meet his friends.
 
“You won't change, will you, Yoh.” Yoh chuckled, and scratched the back of his head. Seeing that Yoh was carrying some bags, that caught Manta's attention.
 
“Yoh, why are you carring those bags?” asked Manta.
 
“Oh these, these are Shinji's”
 
“Shinji's?”
 
“Yeah, come forward Shinji.” A shy looking boy came from behind Yoh's legs. “Manta this boy is Shinji Ikari, he is going to become a shaman”
 
“Nice to meet you Shinji.” Manta extended his arm to shake his hand with Shinji's. Shinji looked at Amidamaru and Yoh, both of them nodded. Shinji gave his hand too, and both Shinji and Manta shared a handshake.
 
“Good luck with your training.” And coming close to Shinji's ear. “And for your own good: don't let Anna trains you.” Manta whispered to Shinji. Shinji gave Manta a quizzical look.
 
“What are you talking about Manta?” Said girl said.
 
Magically, any color drained from Manta's face. Manta looked at Anna's face which promised to him pain some suffering and more pain.
 
“Anna...” Yoh tried to prevent his friend's doom. “He was telling Shinji about the greatness of your training. Yeah can't you see I'm strong because of you.” Yoh made emphasis in his statement by making a dramatic pose.
 
“Yes Anna, remember I also train with Yoh and because of that I could made an oversoul with Mosuke.” Manta mimicked Yoh's pose.
 
Anna sighed at their pathetic attempt to escape her wrath. Anyways They did have time to lose.
 
“Don't you two have any shame.” Both Yoh and Manta nodded. “Alright we're leaving but I'm not going to pay for Shinji's ticket.”
 
“Don't worry, I'll pay for him.” Manta said. 'After all I'm paying for all of us.' He added mentally. He also gave Shinji a smile, trying to not making feel a burden by Anna's statement.
 
“Ok, everyone let's go!” Yoh said, raising his arm. With that the five of them, went to take their to Izumo. And for Shinji It was the beginning of a new life.
 
End chapter one
 
AN: Well that's all. Let me know you opinions. If you're going to criticize, make them so I can grow as a writer.