Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ The First ❯ Session Two: Cut and Thrust ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: THE FIRST


Written by: SaxonBlue



The characters and events in Neon Genesis Evangelion are created and copyrighted by Gainax, Project Eva and ADV Films (amongst others). These are used entirely without permission. Sorry.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The First created and copyrighted by Nigel Read 2000. This work may not be used or distributed without the prior permission of the author. In particular, the character of Dr Hiroshi Takamura remains the intellectual property of the author.


Author's Comments

I have to confess that, when I first started this fanfic, the temptation to substantially rewrite the original storyline from Neon Genesis Evangelion was very strong. Like so many others, I had been bitterly disappointed by the last half-dozen episodes of the series. They were too rushed, and the final two episodes were virtually incomprehensible. Too many questions were left unanswered. Too many sub-plots were left unresolved.

So, when after completing The First: Session One I still had no idea how my own series was going to end, a rewrite of the original storyline still seemed to be on the cards. Whilst writing The First: Session Two, though, I began to perceive an ending to the fanfic which would be suitably dramatic, but would not entail altering the original storyline of the series. After some deliberation, I concluded that this would be a more satisfactory way to proceed.

Of course, I can't tell you what that ending will be. That would be telling ...

So, instead, here's The First: Session Two ...


Session Two: Cut and Thrust

Sunday, 27th September, 2015

He had to admit it, he hadn't expected her to be so damned fast.

Takamura tried another combination of shots, but Rei just leaned backwards and calmly parried them all, as she had been doing for most of the morning. Except for the metallic clanking of their foils, the gymnasium was silent - all the other pairs had stopped to watch this match.

Takamura attempted to bat Rei's sword away a little more forcefully, but she simply slid inside his guard and parried his follow-up thrust easily. There was an audible intake of breath from their audience, and Takamura hurriedly shuffled back and took up a guard position. Beneath his face-guard, his cheeks were burning a deep red. Rei had just been in a position to end the fight; only her lack of aggression had saved him from a humiliating defeat.

The doctor took a deep, calming breath. Despite the lapse of concentration, he was still certain he would win the fight. Fencing was a sport in which experience counted for much more than raw talent. He moved in for another flurry of attacks, taking care this time not to leave himself so open. Then suddenly he stepped backwards, but instead of resuming a guard position he let his foil dip towards the floor. Rei followed him, her own sword dipping slightly to cover his. Takamura simply swayed forward and pinned her on the chest.

There was the briefest moment of silence, then applause filled the gymnasium.

The two combatants took off their face-guards and bowed.

"That was a fine fight, Rei," conceded the doctor. "You're a fast learner."

"Thank you, Takamura-san," replied Rei impassively.

Takamura turned and headed for the showers.

==============================

Takamura splashed water over his face, washing away the sweat.

"That was a good kill."

The doctor looked up into the face of Shohei Imaishi, one of his younger students. "It was a cheap shot ... a trick." His face flushed angrily.

"Well, most of our kills are," replied Imaishi. After a while he added, "You've used the same shot on me quite a few times."

"Not on your first day, I didn't," replied Takamura bitterly.

Imaishi pondered that for a moment. "Actually, I think you did."

There was a brief pause, then both of them burst out laughing.

"She was pretty good, wasn't she?" said Imaishi. "What did you say her name was?"

"Rei. Rei Ayanami. She's ... the daughter ... of a friend." The lie came awkwardly.

"Not a patient?"

"Yes, she's also a patient."

Silence.

"She's very pretty," said Imaishi slyly.

"Don't even think of it!" replied Takamura sharply.

"Yessir!" shouted Imaishi, grinning.

Takamura grabbed the young man by the arm. "Do NOT touch her. Do I make myself clear?"

Imaishi blinked, looking surprised. "Is that a threat?"

The doctor let go of Imaishi with a sigh. "Shohei-kun ... I've no real family in Japan. You are the closest thing I have to family here - you're like a son to me. So, I say this out of genuine concern for your well-being ... you must have nothing to do with Rei."

"Why?"

"I can't tell you. You must simply trust me."

Imaishi paused for a moment. "I will do as you say. I promise." He headed towards the exit. At the last moment he stopped. "You're like a father to me, too, Takamura-san." Then he was gone.

==============================

Saturday, 2nd October, 2015

There was a single, gentle knock on the door.

Takamura glanced up at the clock. It showed 10:00; time for his appointment with Rei. He made a quick note then filed away the report he had been reading, a psychological analysis of another of the Evangelion pilots, currently stationed in Germany. He then went over to the door and slid it open. Rei, once again dressed in her school uniform, stood patiently in the corridor.

"You can come in now, Rei," invited Takamura.

The girl entered the office obediently and took a seat.

"Did you enjoy yourself on Sunday?" asked the doctor as he walked back to his desk.

"It was instructive. I have received little training in hand-to-hand combat."

"That wasn't what I asked," commented Takamura, looking at the young girl oddly. "Never mind. I don't suppose it's important." After a brief pause he added, "By the way, one of my other students expressed an interest in you."

Rei, obviously disinterested in this information, began to scan the bookshelf.

"I see," said Takamura, chuckling to himself. "Poor Shohei. He'll be distraught." The doctor was about to turn on the audio recorder when he realised that Rei was staring at one of half a dozen framed photographs on the bookshelf. He went over to the bookshelf, picked up the photograph, and handed it to the girl.

Rei stared at the photograph. "That is you," she said, pointing at one of the figures in the photograph.

"Yes," replied the doctor, impressed by her perceptiveness. "This photograph was taken while I was at college ... it would have been about ten years ago." His eyes took on a faraway look.

Rei continued to stare at the photograph. "Who is she?" she asked after a while, pointing at another of the figures in the photograph.

Takamura started, obvious surprise showing on his features. "Don't you know who she is?"

Rei simply shook her head. "She seems familiar, but ..." She paused hesitantly.

"You must have seen photographs of her before," said the doctor incredulously.

"I do not believe so."

Takamura frowned. "Surely he has ..." He stopped suddenly. "Her name is ... was ... Yui Ikari."

"Pilot Ikari's mother," stated Rei simply.

The doctor raised an eyebrow at that, and wrote down a lengthy note. After a while he looked up. Rei was still looking at the photograph.

"I could arrange to make a copy for you," he offered.

"That will not be necessary," said Rei, placing the photograph down on the desk.

Takamura picked up the picture and gazed at it. He was suddenly struck by something he had not noticed before.

"You and she were friends," stated Rei suddenly, but without any particular emphasis.

"Yes," said the doctor, interrupted in his musings. "We were friends."

"Did you know Commander Ikari then?"

"Only by reputation," replied Takamura, smiling wryly. "But I did know Professor Fuyutski. Yui and I were in one of his classes. It was he, and not Commander Ikari, who invited me to work for NERV." He placed the photograph back on the bookshelf, and sighed. "We should get started. The commanders don't pay me to reminisce about my past." He switched on the audio recorder, and sat down. He paused briefly, indecisively. "How long have you been an Evangelion pilot, Rei?"

"I do not recall the exact date."

"Roughly, then."

Rei hesitated. "Two months."

Takamura looked at Rei in confusion, then quickly scanned a document lying on his desk. "I think we're talking at cross-purposes. Your service record suggests that you've been with NERV for over two years. Let's see ... two years, three months, fifteen days, to be precise."

"That is correct," said the girl. "But I did not pilot an Evangelion until two months ago, when the activation tests for Unit Zero commenced."

"Ahh," said Takamura, momentarily at a loss. "Thank you for clarifying that." He cleared his throat. "Let's talk about the activation tests, then. Before the first test, were you scared?"

"No."

Takamura remained silent for a moment, as if waiting for Rei to say more. "Okay. Well, not scared, then. Apprehensive?"

"I was not apprehensive."

"Its okay to admit it, you know," said Takamura reassuringly. "It would be only normal for someone your age to be afraid of piloting an Evangelion." He paused briefly, waiting for Rei to comment. "All right, so you weren't scared. Why was that, do you think?"

"I was prepared. And I had faith in Commander Ikari's work."

"Faith in others is a good thing," agreed Takamura cautiously. "I'm told there was a problem in the last of the activation tests. What happened exactly?"

Rei shifted nervously in her chair. "I do not remember," she responded evasively.

"You don't remember any of it?"

"I remember some things," amended Rei, "but not Unit Zero going out of control."

"Interesting," commented the doctor, jotting down a quick note. "So what do you remember?"

"I was in the entry plug. Synchronisation was proceeding as it had in the previous tests. We were approaching the absolute border-line ..." Rei hesitated, unsure.

"What happened next?" prompted Takamura.

"My memory ... fails me. My next memory is of the entry plug being jolted. Then I felt nauseous, as if the entry plug was falling. A few seconds later the entry plug was jolted again. After a while the hatch was opened by Commander Ikari. He asked me if I was all right, but I was too weak and disoriented to reply."

Takamura leaned back in his chair and studied his patient. "Your medical records indicate you were badly injured during the incident."

Rei blinked. "You have access to my medical records?"

Takamura was momentarily taken aback. "Of course I do. Is there any reason why I shouldn't have access to them?"

"Of course not, Takamura-san," replied Rei, but she still looked surprised.

"Fine, fine," continued Takamura, unsure whether to pursue the matter, then deciding against it. "So, you were badly injured during the last of the activation tests. How did this affect you during the recent re-activation test?"

"It did not affect me," replied Rei matter-of-factly. "I was completely healed of my injuries by then."

Takamura chuckled, unable to tell whether Rei was really that literal, or whether she was teasing him. "Actually, I'm more interesting in how the accident effected your confidence in the tests."

"I do not believe it had any effect."

"I see." Takamura scratched the back of his scalp, momentarily at a loss. It was going to be a long, long session. He glanced across at the bookshelf for a moment, then pressed on ...

==============================

A few hours later.

Sub-Commander Fuyutski pushed his food around on his plate, unable to eat. He was deeply disturbed by the growing rift between Gendo and Seele, and was contemplating what action needed to be taken. It was enough to put anyone off their food.

A shadow fell across the bench, and he looked up from his meal.

"Konnichiwa, Hiroshi," he said in greeting, and rising.

"Konnichiwa, Fuyutski-sensei," replied Takamura, bowing.

"Oh nonsense," Fuyutski admonished playfully. "I'm not your professor any more. Have a seat. We haven't talked since you arrived at NERV. Have you settled in all right?"

"I have, thank you, sir." Takamura sat down across the table from Fuyutski.

"And your work ... you're finding it sufficiently challenging?"

"To say the least," replied Takamura, smiling. "Although ..." He hesitated.

"Although what?" prompted Fuyutski.

"Well, its Rei," continued Takamura. "I'm having some difficulty with her."

"What kind of difficulty?"

"She is unresponsive," replied Takamura. "Her answers lack ... substance."

"What would you like me to do? Shall I get Gendo to talk to her?"

"No, no," interjected Takamura hastily, "I don't think that would do. No, it wouldn't do at all." He paused briefly to collect his thoughts. "I don't really think there's an awful lot you can do for me. Rei has built many walls ... strong walls ... around her. It may take some time to help her."

"Help her?" queried Fuyutski. "Then you think there's a problem with Rei."

"Without a doubt," replied Takamura. "She exhibits obvious symptoms of severe clinical depression, or possibly even a form of schizophrenia. And she clearly feels isolated from those around her."

"Isolated?"

"She feels no connection to us," explained Takamura patiently. "It is why she shows so little interest in social interaction. Only Commander Ikari and ..." He hesitated.

"And what?"

"Well, I don't suppose it'll do any harm," conceded Takamura. "Shinji."

"What about Shinji?"

"She feels a connection to him. Because ..." Takamura paused. "Well, I haven't quite figured that out yet. Perhaps its because they're both Eva pilots." He sounded unconvinced.

"So what are you suggesting?" Fuyutski asked. "That she no longer pilot the Evas?"

"Of course not," replied Takamura coolly. "It is imperative that she continue. Even I understand that. And also, when it comes down to it, I'm not entirely certain that the Evas are even the source of her problems." He paused briefly. "Did you know her parents?"

For a brief moment alarm ran across Fuyutski's face. Then he smiled, and shrugged. "Her parents? No I didn't know them." He rose from the table, abandoning his lunch. "Well, it seems to me that, despite your reservations, you do seem to be making some progress. I look forward to seeing your report. Well, I must get back to the grindstone. Good day, Hiroshi. I've very much enjoyed meeting you again."

"Good day, Fuyutski-sensei."

Takamura watched his former professor head towards the exit of the refectory.

"Well, that was odd," he said under his breath, then pulled up the commander's uneaten lunch and tucked into it with gusto.


More Author's Comments

At last, Session Two is complete. I believe I commented in Session One about how difficult I found that 'session' to write. Well, its sequel was even more difficult, requiring three entire re-writes. Oh well, its here now, and I suppose that's all that matters. Although I must confess I'm more nervous about releasing Session Two than I was about its predecessor.

I would appreciate any constructive comments on this story. My current email address is nread@transport.wa.gov.au. Look out for Session Three: From the Sidelines.