Okage Shadow King Fan Fiction ❯ Temporary Insanity ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm not quite sure that I was ever clear on when it happened, or why, but it did. I was also sure that it didn't just happen like that, but every time I found myself taking these so-called orders from him it was all I could do to not stare at him. What was clear though, was the fact that I knew this feeling had been brewing around for quite some time. But... Why?

How could I be in love with my Shadow?

Now to mention, one that was quite sure he was one, or rather the Evil King. It was madness. He had to be completely out of his mind! How the hell did I fall for some guy- a shadow as of yet, which wasn't better- Who was none-the-less using me as a means to regain his status as 'Evil King'? Too bad really that it was too late for me to start doubting that he was who, and what, he said. I was already in too deep for that, unfortunate as it may be, or not. But either way, I had a bigger problem on my hands.

This was going to drive me slowly insane. And my sanity up to this point had already been questioned.

And who was I to think that Stan, the destroyer yet epitome of evil, would or could ever come to love me like I did him? Hell, I wasn't always even sure that he liked me as a person, much less a friend! Besides, with the way Rosalyn was always practically proclaiming her undying love for him with every insult, who was I to even compete? How was I to even be sure that he was gay, damn it? It's not like he was easy to read, exactly. His emotions were as easy to read as a stone. Well, except for when he's mad, of course. Then they resembled more of a hot stone, but a stone none-the-less. And have you ever tried to read a stone?

Oh, and would you just look at that, they were at it. Again. And by 'they' I mean Stan and Rosalyn. She wasn't fooling anybody. Well, at least she wasn't fooling me. But really, who was I to ruin her little masquerade that she struggled so much to keep up with? Ok, maybe I was being selfish. I'd have been happy to ruin it. If only I was sure that the shadow I had grown none-too-grudgingly attatched to didn't feel the same about her. That would also bring us back to the fact that I could read what he felt for her about like I could stand to listen to Linda's howling... Singing. And I couldn't then, and I still can't. But I didn't interfere with their constant bickering yet. I wasn't expected to. No, I never was. Which is why I just stood there, arms crossed, solemn expression playing about on my face as I tune the fighting out. Again.

Hi. I'm Ari. And this is me, playing the part of the helpless pawn as always. Or, at least, for now.