One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Never Leave ❯ I'll Never Leave ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Why did I ever create this machine?

Because it fulfills your every desire.

What a simple concept.


"Good morning Mika!" Shouted Monkey D. Luffy, a scrawny, rubbery-looking young boy with unruly black hair, and the captain of the pirate ship Going Merry Go. He was dressed in his usual outfit of red vest, knee-length cut-off shorts, and his most precious possession, the straw hat that Captain Shanks had given to him just before he finally left Luffy's home village.

"Hi Luffy," Mika replied sleepily as she crawled up on deck from her room below, "What's Sanji makin' for breakfast?" She slumped into a chair at the table that was located in the center of the deck. Her eyes were still blurry from a long night of rest, and she rubbed them to try and wake up a little more.

At that moment, Sanji, the ship's cook, and quite possibly the best cook in the world, burst out of the Going Merry Go's kitchen, carefully balancing ten plates full of the pirate crew's favorite breakfast foods. He was a tall, handsome young man with bright blonde hair who was always dressed to kill in a blue pinstripe shirt worn under a crisp black tuxedo.

Sanji swiftly arranged the plates around the table before shouting, "Breakfast is ready everyone! And I made your favorites my dear Nami!" Mika shuddered at Sanji's last line, but she dug into her food as if Sanji's infatuation with Nami was nothing to her.

Suddenly the whole of Captain Luffy's crew came rushing to the table from various places on the ship. Usopp, the Going Merry Go's sniper, had been working with the ship's cannon. He was dressed in his typical outfit: brown overalls, rolled up to the knees, a white cloth sash tied about his waist, a yellow bandana covering most of his curly black hair and a blue and white arm band on the lower half of his left arm. As usual, he and Luffy began fighting for the same food.

Zoro, the ship's swordsman, whose goal was to become the greatest swordsman in the world, just walked calmly to the table and started scarfing down anything that Luffy and Usopp hadn't touched yet. The navigator, Nami, who detested Sanji's constant attention, sat next to Mika, who was directly across from Sanji. She and Mika were the only ones still dressed in their night clothes, her's being a long night gown with pearls and gold pieces printed on them, and Mika's being a plain pj shirt and pants set colored bright red with shiny silver trim.

"Wake up."

"What?" Mika looked around. Everyone was eating for the most part still, and none of them seemed like they had said anything recently, seeing as how their mouths were either full of food or drink.

"Wake up! You have to go to school today!"

"What?" Mika looked around some more. Then she realized. She set down her fork and mumbled these words, "Set pause Mika. Continue Luffy crew."


I hate waking up every morning. I hate having to go to the gray, dull school in my town every weekday. There's nothing there to do except sit and stare at the teachers as they lecture on uninteresting subjects. I could make a fortune off of that machine if I released it into the public. But, would that really be morally correct? Would that even be safe?

It wouldn't be safe. I can feel it eating away at me at this very moment. I can feel it taking over me. Maybe I should stop using it.

"Hi there Mika"

Hi.

"Want to go out tonight? I really wanna see that new comedy movie! What was it called?"

No, I don't want to go out. I have things to do at home.

"Oh...well, I guess I'll see you around."

There she goes. She was my last friend. Everyone else abandoned me. But then again, I abandoned them for it. For the machine that I created, the machine that takes your brainwaves and turns them into real objects, all to fulfill every desire and dream you might have.

Simple things are really the most dangerous aren't they?

At least I've made it through another day without leaving. The world has just become so lifeless now, so I can't live here. I'll just pass through everyday, and live in my world for the rest of the time.

Set unpause Mika. Continue Luffy Crew.


"Look Mika!" Captain Luffy pointed a rubbery arm towards an island that was perhaps only a couple kilometers from the Going Merry Go.

"What's over there?" Mika asked.

"Keh," scoffed Zoro from his comfortable resting spot on the deck, "As usual, we're just stopping off there on one of Luffy's whims. We're actually several kilometers off of the map's route to the Grand Line."

Mika smiled at that. She liked the way everyone interacted here. Even though they had fights among themselves all the time, they were always friends. They were always HER friends. She could live here forever.

"Woo!" Luffy yelled, and he stretched his rubber arm all the way up to the crow's nest and pulled himself along after it. Then he jumped down, stretching his legs just enough so that they would hit softly first, keeping him from breaking the ship on his landing.

"Calm down Luffy!" Usopp exclaimed, "We don't even know what's out there! What if it's a tribe of evil horse-fish with giant razor teeth and long tails that spout fire out the ends?!"

Luffy's eyes bulged out a little bit, and he became even more excited. He found a pad of paper and a marker and proceeded to draw his version of Usopp's made up horse-fish. He turned it around and showed Usopp, "They look like this, right?"

"Hah, there's nothing in this world that looks like a bunch of scribbles," Zoro chuckled.

"You're too gullible Luffy," Nami said, shaking her head.

"We're here," Mika stated as the boat started to grate its bottom along the sand in the shallow water near the beach. They came to a halt, and everyone piled off onto the island. Luffy immediately began searching the vicinity for any traces of his new interest, the evil horse-fish tribe.

When Luffy found no unusual creatures, he came back and lazily put his hands behind his head as he stated, "So, what should we do while we're here?"

Zoro lost his sanity for a moment, "What?! You're the one who wanted to come here!"

Sanji intervened, "Now now, since we're here, let's just look around. You never know what kind of things you can find on random islands like these. Maybe there are some treasures!" He turned and looked at Nami at his last sentence, knowing that the incentive of finding treasure would excite her.

"Alright then!! Let's go!" Nami started running off into the jungle that came a few meters after the sandy beach that they had landed on.

Mika and the others followed suit. It wasn't long until they were deep into the jungle, Zoro using one of his three swords to cut away branches and vines that blocked their path. Once, an extremely large, purple and brown spider had landed square on Mika's shoulder and she screamed like nothing else. She ran around in circles brushing her shoulder off, making sure there was nothing on her anymore, until she finally ran and hid behind Sanji, facing the circle of trampled leaves that she had just created. As soon as the rest of the group could assure her that there was nothing to afraid of anymore, they continued on their way.

They didn't get to anywhere special before the night came. They could have continued for a long time, but it was agreed that it would be better to camp for the night, considering they didn't have any clue as to where they were going or what they would meet with.

The night passed uneventfully, and the crew of the Going Merry Go was up with the sun. Sanji had breakfast prepared before anyone else even woke up, so the group was able to get a nice early start on the day. Everyone had already agreed that they had nothing else to do but continue to follow Nami on her search for hidden treasures, so that's what they did.

They had only traveled for perhaps an hour when Nami cried out.

"What is it Nami?" Sanji asked with intense concern, "A snake? A spider? Something dangerous? Are you hurt? Bitten?"

Mika turned her head in disgust from the overreacting Sanji, and Nami just ignored him as she revealed why she had just stopped, "Look over there!" She pointed to a clearing in the jungle. Through the thin foliage everyone could see the tattered remains of another pirate band's flag waving in the cool early morning wind. It was attached to a thin pole that was stuck into the ground where the skeletons of several pirates lay restfully. There was a small cave entrance leading into the side of a small mountain just a couple meters behind the resting place of the dead pirates. The scene they faced was a telltale sign of treasure.

"Yeah! Let's go!" shouted Mika and Luffy simultaneously. They both started to run off towards the edge of the jungle, but Mika suddenly hear something.

"I'm not your maid, you know."

Mika was confused.

"Get up NOW! You have a real life, you can't keep doing this!"

Mika understood, but she didn't want to leave. They were about to go on an exciting adventure! By the time she would get home, it would be over with. They would have found treasure, or a monster, or nothing at all, but no matter what it was, she would miss it.

Then she got an ingenious idea.

"Set pause Mika. Continue Luffy crew."


It's so simple! Why did I never think of this before? Not only will I be happy, but the whole world can live in paradise forever.


"Hi, Mika...um, do you want to do something with us today?"

Sure! Let's go to my house, I made something for all of you guys. I'm sure you'll love them!


Alright, here they are.

"What are these things?"

Well, in theory, everything is made of energy. So I created this machine to take the energy of your brainwaves and change them into real things. Here try it! Just take this and put it on your head...there! Now to start it, just imagine what you want the most. What you want to happen in your life more than anything else...

~*~

"Wow Mika, It feels like you've been here for way longer than usual," stated Nami with a thoughtful look on her face. The adventure that Mika had left was over, and the crew on the Going Merry Go had gotten back on board to continue their main journey through the ocean to the Grand Line.

"Don't be crazy Nami," Mika smiled back, "I'm always here!"

"Yeah, I know. I'm probably just tired, maybe I'll go take a peek at my treasure," Nami replied as she walked off towards her cabin, rubbing her head in tought.

"It's true you know."

Mika jumped at Sanji's voice. He walked up from behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder, smiling.

"What's true?" Mika asked.

"It's not just Miss Nami who feels like you've been here longer than usual. It's all of us! It's the weirdest feeling, almost like you usually leave us but we don't notice." Sanji was still wearing a smile but his tone of voice had a hint of concern with his next statement, "Mika, are you feeling alright? You've haven't really been yourself lately."

"How so?" Mika inquired with as much energy she could muster. She didn't knew it showed so much, the fact that she was feeling weaker during the day and sick at night.

Sanji sighed, "Usually you're so energetic. But now...please, I don't know what it is, but please for my sake and the sake of everyone else, if you need anything don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need a doctor I'm sure we could deviate from the map to find mainland somewhere. We're worried about you Mika, let us help you!"

Mika smiled and placed her hand on Sanji's, "I'm fine. Just feeling a little tired that's all," It was a severe understatement. Mika suddenly felt the deck surging towards her. Just before she hit, Sanji caught her by her arms.

"Mika! Mika!!"

"Sanji," Mika reached up a hand and grabbed Sanji's jacket sleeve. She had tears in her eyes as she looked up into Sanji concerned face, "I never should have made it".

"Don't talk, you need to see a doctor. Save your energy!" Sanji lifted Mika up into his arms and started to carry her to her room. Mika clung closely to him like a child who was afraid of the dark. He could feel how sickly thin she was, and her breathing was terribly shallow.

"Sanji...I'm so hungry..." Then the world became dark.


FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOUND DEAD IN HOME

--,--,20-- Probably the strangest cases of death in our town in over 100 years. A mother, her 17 year-old daughter, and her daughter's three friends, whose names will not be realeased at request of their families, were all found dead last week by the police. The officers who found them had just started on the missing persons cases of the three friends and were at first simply going to their home to conduct a questioning. "We knocked on the door several times, and waited for quite a while. Both of the family cars were in the driveway, and it was unlikely that they had used any other form of transportation to leave. That's when we forced our way in." The five people were found laying down in various rooms in the house. The oddest things were the devices that they had all been wearing when they were found. Four of the devices are being held as evidence in case of murder in the police station, and the last one is being studied at the local university. Appearantly, the devices have never been seen before, but it is speculated that they have something to do with mind manipulation. The official causes of death for all five people were starvation, dehydration, and severe mental exhaustion. As of now, the deaths are not classified. Likely classifications, however, include suicide or murder.