One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Mugiwara High School ❯ Opening Night ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

At Mugiwara High School, classes dismiss at 2:55 PM. Almost no one goes home on Fridays. Near the school, a few couches are set by the highway, where nearly everyone from freshmen to seniors, all clad in the MHS Buccaneers colors of Black and Red, were sharing both drinks of alcoholic and non-alcoholic nature (hiding the former from the sight of any passerby driving on the road), grilling hamburgers and hot dogs, and even hooked up a TV and GameStation to the power outlet of a nearly business building. Of course, it was only used for challenges towards a man that can only be considered a god at GameStation Football.
“BEHOLD THE UNSTOPPABLE VIRTUAL FOOTBALL SKILLS OF CAPTAIN USOPP!” Usopp leaned back in one of the beat up couches that the MHS students have used for tailgating for 15 years, holding a notepad with tally marks nearing 50 on it. Throughout his entire high school career, when it started with what was then considered an upset his freshman year, the simple band nerd was undefeated in tailgating challenges in GameStation Football and accepts any and all challenges. The closest matchup he had was late in his junior year when an upperclassmen kept even with him the whole game until Usopp nailed a 58-yard field goal as time expired to win 31-30. Two challenges came, one from a freshman and one from a junior, however the streak continued as Usopp won both games handily, 78-14 and 65-21. He looked at his watch and got up from the couch to start his second tailgating tradition, predicting the Buc game before heading to the music area to get ready for his marching band duties.
“The leaves fall, one by one. The strongest leaf tries to prove himself, however despite being more athletic than his brethren, he will eventually be ripped to shreds by the wind of the Skyriders before causing any major damage. The only thing separating this game from a practice session is that in tomorrow's paper, there will be a change in record. Bucs 42, Leaves 0”
With a bit of applause for his fortune-telling trailing him, Usopp (as well as a trailing Merry and Chopper) made his way back to the school, a smile on his face.
“I might be giving Konoha too much credit, but that Halfback of theirs is the only one that could get a starting job anywhere else in the league. Very acrobatic.”
Merry had a bit of a confused look to his face a bit before asking Usopp about that halfback, “He's prone to injure, though. He nearly ended his career pushing himself too hard last year. Kinda funny how a guy with a first name of Rock can be so fragile.”
“Meh, kinda goes with the mystique on the Leaves' futility. Not to mention their quarterback.”
“Uchiha? His older brother transferred to get away from KHS, ends up going All-State, and gets signed to a top college program. Now little brother wants to do the same with the team his brother abandoned.”
“You're forgetting the fact that he's nothing compared to the amazing player Itachi was, taking Akatsuki to a State Final in his senior year. They'll be lucky to win a game this year. Even the Exorcists see this years game with them as a walk. Akatsuki's got them at home, that'll be an easy win for the Sharks. There's not a game this season for them where they're favored or even expected to lose by single digits.”
“Soon Black Order's Decade of Futility will be far in the past and everyone will see Konoha's program as the worst in the league. The program's been active for sixty years, only reached the semi-finals once and that was when the playoffs were only eight teams.”
Chopper, lollygagging behind, was completely lost in Merry and Usopp's football talk. He was only following them because they knew where all to go, it was Chopper's first year at the school and his first football game. He followed Usopp's advice earlier that week and brought his uniform to school in the morning due to Usopp spending all possible time between end of classes and the band's call time tailgating.
“Hey Chopps,” Usopp looked back at the reindeer, “By the end of the season, you're gonna be just as knowledgeable on this great sport as us.”
“Do I want to?”
“Oh yeah, you'll learn to love it. Although tonight it won't be much of a matchup, tonight it's just going to be an old-fashioned woodshed beating. Although there is one thing Konoha does have. Their female population…b…e…a…utiful! The only way we can lose is if our entire team gets distracted by their cheerleaders. They also have a female principal who is absolutely AMAZING!”
Merry gave Usopp a shifty look, “She's fifty, you know.”
“But she looks 20 and has a D, maybe DD-cup, and when you're fantasizing, that's the important part. Of course, the blonde hair helps a lot.”
Merry just started laughing hysterically, “Figures, you and your blondes. But how does she compare to…you know…”
“Well, if you're comparing their principal to…her…you know that all females bow to…her beauty. You know she's a goddess among regular people.”
“Yeah yeah yeah, and maybe one of these days, you'll actually talk to her instead of ogling her from a distance, Usopp.”
Chopper started jumping up and down to try and get the two's attention again, “Who? Who?”
“Hey now, Chopps,” Usopp placed his hand on the reindeer's hat, “In due time, one must be patient.”
“By Usopp's definition of patient, it'll be a few years before any action is taken.”
Usopp jokingly pushed Merry into the ground as he continued on, passing by where the cheerleaders were stretching.
---
“OK, girls,” the only boy on the squad, Captain Monkey D. Luffy, donning his gameday hat atop his black outfit with red lining and the Buccaneer logo on his chest, addressed the rest of the cheerleaders, wearing red uniforms with white lining and *BUCS* written on the chest, “basic warmups and stretches right now. Nami, Vivi, Conis, you three feeling good for the kite stunt tonight?”
“If you are, Luffy,” the orange-haired vice captain stepped up, two other cheerleaders, one blue-haired and the other blonde followed suit, “you're the anchor and the one who came up with this idea.”
“I'm more than ready; I've been working out a lot and besides, only the football team uniforms are lined with seastone to eliminate DF powers,” Luffy reached his arm up and stretched it a couple of feet before retracting it, “OK, leg over head, around neck, and into the person next to you's hand.
“ONLY YOU CAN DO THAT, CAPTAIN!” the entire cheerleading squad yelled in unison.
---
The football team's locker room was resonating through the sounds of many mp3 and CD players going through various players' headphones as they sat in their pads, getting themselves in the mindset. Some players were listening to classic rock, others had gangster rap, some even had some jazz running through their ears. Some players drawing up and memorizing formations, others were reading over the scouting reports once more. Head Coach Cobra also has his own tradition in telling his players to pay attention to him, much to the disapproval of the grounds crew. With a hard kick, the office door flung open and into the wall. The resounding bang never fails to grab the attention of everyone in the room. Donning black athletic pants, a red turtleneck, and aviator sunglasses, Cobra walked over to the chalkboard and began to write some key points in the game. The first couple of strokes were the most definite.
[0-0]
“Konoha is traditionally a bad school,” Cobra started his speech, “However, right now we both have the same record. We both are undefeated and also winless. More upsets per capita happen on the first week than any other time of the season save for playoffs. We are not facing the Leaves team who went winless and lost their only good halfback to an injury in their second game. Lee, that halfback, is back at 100% and starting. Defense, that man can avoid tackles like no other, do not give up on a tackle until you know he is down. Hit hard and constantly put pressure on the quarterback as well. It could be Uchiha, but their second-string might even be better. He's a mental tank by the name of Shikamaru, beware the trick plays which I know he's a master of. I've seen him at camps, some of the stuff he comes up with are ridiculous. Fortunately his two wides, Uzumaki and Inuzuka, are pretty much morons and can't handle the complex plays. Always keep your eyes on them, though, Inuzuka's a speedster to the level of Lee and is a great cutter.
Offense, especially Zoro, Kohza, and the line, watch out for Akimichi. He will tackle and he will tackle HARD. Always give him the worst possible scenario and make him work hard for that tackle. If we can wear him out by halftime would be the best, but if we stick to our normal play, he'll be out of steam by end of the third quarter. Chaka and Pell, the two corners are Hyuuga and Aburame are covering you two. They've got some great skill but bad stamina. If we keep them moving, they'll eventually tire out. Just keep your head in the game and the ball will go our way. Bring it in.”
The players all circled around coach Cobra except for Zoro and Iceburg, each standing on each side the coach. The two raised their right arm and bowed their head, the rest of the players then followed suit. Zoro began to yell, breaking the dead silence.
“A NEW SEASON. A NEW LIFE. A NEW CHANCE AT THE TITLE. OUR JOURNEY BEGINS NOW FOR GLORY. YOU LOOK TO EACH SIDE OF YOU TO SEE A FELLOW BUCCANEER. WHEN WE COME OUT, MORE BUCCANEERS WILL GREET US FROM THE STANDS, THE TRACK, AND THE BAND STANDS. THOSE OF US IN THIS ROOM RIGHT NOW ARE FIGHTING FOR THE GLORY OF EVERYONE. NOW, TELL ME, WHO ARE WARRIORS?”
“WE ARE!” the team responded.
“WHO ARE FIGHTERS?”
“WE ARE!”
“WHO…ARE…BUCCANEERS?”
WE ARE!
Helmets and uniforms on, the team exited the locker room and the school building hand in hand and trekked towards the stadium, Coach Cobra in the lead. Several fans were waiting by the entrance to applaud and cheer them on as they slowly reached the edge of the stadium. The band had formed a large block “M” in the corner of the field, separated at the center of the M to allow room for the team to enter. Luffy, Nami, Vivi, and Conis were currently in the gap holding flags down to the ground, looking at Cobra. Igaram, the band's director, was on a ladder at midfield also looking at coach with his arm pointing up in the air.
Coach Cobra looked upon the cheerleaders and Igaram, smiled, and nodded. At that moment, Igaram thrust his arm down, forming an “M” with his middle three fingers. From the PA system, a foghorn sounded as the cheerleaders ran out of the block “M”, flags flying high, Luffy's having the school logo (A Jolly Roger with a strawhat) on his and the three girls having “M” “H” and “S” on theirs. The team, still headed by Cobra, followed suit running through the block “M” to the mixture of the school fight song and uproarious cheering from the stands. The season had finally begun.