Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Eleven - Secrets ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter Eleven
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
 
Keisuke took a deep breath, trying to think of where to start. Finally, he asked Ami, “What do you know about gods?”
 
She looked at him quizzically. “Not very much,” she replied, looking toward the ocean for answers. “I guess I just know that they have powers beyond those of any demon or angel.”
 
“And that we have pretty much supreme authority, right?” Keisuke suggested.
 
“Yeah, and that.”
 
“I thought so. We don't really tell anyone much about us.” He sighed again. “Would you be surprised if I told you that the gods were not always gods?”
 
“I don't understand,” Ami said. “If you weren't gods, what were you?”
 
“Angels and demons, mostly,” Keisuke said.
 
Ami stared blankly at him. “Angels and demons,” she repeated.
 
“Yes. Angels and demons who are proved to be superior to the rest. It only happens once in about five hundred years or so, but it does happen.”
 
Ami frowned. “So…you were an angel or a demon before you were a god.”
 
“Yes, I was. Exactly five hundred years ago, I was an angel.”
 
“So…if you're all former angels and demons…why are you trying to hurt us?”
 
“I'm not,” Keisuke said. “They are. And it's because, after a while, gods forget their lives as angels and demons. All they remember is the time after they became gods. If you ask some of the gods whether they were angels or demons before they became gods, they won't be able to answer. In fact, most won't be able to answer.”
 
“So, because they can't remember being like us, they can't understand us,” Ami said.
 
“Exactly. Gods like me, who were initiated more recently, have a little more sympathy for you. But most of them still think of you as inferior. Or they treat you like children, as you pointed out earlier. Sorry about that, by the way.”
 
Ami nodded. “So they don't care that they're taking away our free will, because they feel like they're so far above us. They don't really think we have feelings or intelligence at all.”
 
“Right. And that's why they found it so easy to concoct a disease that will kill ninety percent of the demon and angel population within a day.”
 
Ami stared at him in disbelief. “What?”
 
“I'm sorry,” Keisuke said. “But it's true. I injected you with an antidote, but it will only work for a week. Then the disease will return.”
 
“So…you need us to find the Chalice within a week,” Ami said.
 
“Yes.”
 
“What about our friends and family? Do they have the disease? And if we go near them will they catch it?”
 
“It's not contagious. We call it a virus, but it isn't, really. And you won't be in physical contact with anyone in Heaven or Hell right now, anyway.”
 
Ami frowned. “Okay. Well, what else do you need to tell me?”
 
Keisuke paused. “I…uh…nothing else.”
 
“Are you sure?” She narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “It sounds like you wanted to say something.”
 
“Nothing. Everything that needed to be said has been said.”
 
“I just thought of something,” Ami said. “The others have been kind of depressed lately. I think they miss their friends and family…is there any way they can talk to them?”
 
Keisuke took a deep breath and let it out slowly, as if he regretted what he was about to say. “Yes,” he said slowly. “I could help you out with that, but I'll need to make sure they don't mention anything dangerous.”
 
Ami nodded. “Of course. Thank you. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.”
 
“And you will, too, right?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You'll appreciate it, too? I mean, I'm sure that you'll want to contact your friends and family?”
 
Ami's face grew dark. “Um…no, actually.” She turned away. “If we're done here, I'd like to get back to the others,” she said, still facing the other way.
 
Keisuke nodded and pulled her toward him, deciding that it was better not to press her for more answers. There was another flash of white and they were back in the room at the inn.
 
Ami walked over to Maeko, who was starting to wake up. Maeko opened an eye and instinctively swung a fist at Ami. Fortunately, the angel jumped out of the way.
 
“Sorry,” Maeko mumbled, weakly pushing herself up. “What happened?”
 
“We all passed out,” Ami said. “It must be some kind of bug.” There's no sense worrying them, she thought to herself. I can just keep what Keisuke told me a secret. She glanced at Keisuke, who was seated in the chair again. The expression on his face told her that he was thinking the same thing.
 
“Weird,” Maeko said. “Is Ichigo awake yet?”
 
Ami shook her head. “But I think she will be, soon.” As she spoke, Ichigo's eyes fluttered open.
 
“Sis…?” Ichigo asked. Maeko slid toward her, kneeling beside the bed.
 
“Hey,” Maeko said. “You're awake.”
 
Ami left the two sisters alone and walked toward Sadako, who was also starting to stir. She waited for Sadako to open her eyes, making sure not to stand as close to her as she had stood to Maeko.
 
“Ami?” Sadako asked. She sat up. “What just happened?”
 
Ami sighed. “We were sick, and now we're better. We all passed out. But we're okay now. Really. And…um…” She looked at Keisuke. “Weren't you saying something about a way to contact our friends and family?”
 
Keisuke nodded and handed them each a pocket-sized electronic device. “They're sort of like telephones, but also like computers or televisions. Um…meaning you could use it in any of those ways.”
 
Maeko frowned, turning hers around in her hand. “So…how does it work?”
 
“If you want to call them, dial their phone numbers. If you want to chat with them, like you would online, enter their screen names.”
 
The girls nodded, but they still seemed confused. They walked away into separate corners of the room. Ami was the only one who didn't. She tossed the device aside and lay back on her bed.
 
Keisuke noticed her actions but he did not say anything. He was too busy paying attention to what the other three were saying to people. He noticed that Ichigo was chatting with a boy named Washi. He was surprised to realize that he was an angel. He wondered if Ichigo knew, or if he knew that Ichigo was a demon. Maeko was speaking with her teacher, and Keisuke assumed that theirs was more than your typical teacher/student relationship, mostly because he was not technically her teacher anymore. And Sadako was talking with another Angel Academy student, who was apparently named Yasuo. Content that none of the girls were saying anything that would jeopardize the mission, Keisuke turned his attention to Ami, who seemed to be brooding.
 
He walked over to her. “Are you going to tell me why you're acting like this, or are you going to let your friends have fun without you?”
 
Ami glared at him and rolled onto her stomach, burying her face in a pillow. “Go away,” she mumbled.
 
“Do you always act like this?” Keisuke asked.
 
“Act like what?” She asked, looking up from the pillow.
 
“You know…like this. Brooding. Depressed.”
 
“Emo?” Ami suggested. “Well, it's my own fault for suggesting that you give them a way to communicate back home.”
 
“I already tried to ask why you don't want to talk to anyone back home, and you didn't answer.”
 
Ami glared at him and buried her head in the pillow again.
 
“You're going to keep doing this?” he asked.
 
“Yes,” Ami mumbled into the pillow.
 
“Fine, then I'll leave you alone.”
 
“Good,” she said. “Go away.”
 
“I thought you were more mature than this. You really are acting like a child.”
 
“You know nothing about it, or about me, so leave me alone.” She waved her hand at him. He sighed.
 
“Fine. I should really go back to making sure they don't say anything stupid, anyway.”
 
As he walked away Ami wondered why she had been so abrasive. But her family wasn't exactly an easy subject for her. She didn't want to talk to her parents, and she didn't really have any friends other than Sadako. She curled into a ball. Whatever, she thought. It doesn't look like we're going anywhere tonight, and we only have six more days to live, unless we find the Chalice. She sighed. It looks like they'll be talking on those phones for the rest of the day. I'm going to bed. She closed her eyes and pulled up the covers, trying to block out the sounds of her companions' happiness.