Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Twelve - Phone Calls ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter Eleven
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
 
The sky in Heaven was a dark blue-gray color. It was going to be a bad night. Washi yawned, dangling his feet over the side of his bed. He wondered for a moment what had woken him up; a quick glance at his alarm clock showed that it was 9:00 PM, only two hours since he had fallen asleep. He sighed, knowing that it would be impossible to get back to sleep.
 
A loud thud from next door jarred his thoughts. A woman shouted and something hit the wall separating the rooms. Washi groaned. He walked to his computer and sat down, plugging his headphones into his ears while he typed, playing his music at full blast in order to drown out the noise from next door.
 
He checked his email, as always; he was anticipating the same email he had been expecting for about three days. It wasn't there. He pulled the plugs out of his ears and almost turned off the computer monitor, when something popped up on his screen.
 
“Washi?” It read. Washi's face lit up and he quickly typed back, “Ichigo! Where have you been?”
 
“Long story,” was the reply. “Suffice it to say that I didn't have access to a computer of any type until today.”
 
“I like long stories. Tell me what happened.”
 
“I really can't. I promise, I'll let you know as soon as I can.”
 
“I'm confused.” Washi really was confused. He winced as something hit the wall again. His entire apartment shuddered. “My neighbors are driving me crazy,” he wrote.
 
“Are they throwing things again?” Ichigo asked. “You really should move out.”
 
“I can't,” he replied.
 
“I don't see why not,” she said. “There's no reason for a demon such as yourself to live in a place like that. I'm going to talk to my dad about it as soon as I can.”
 
“Don't,” Washi said. “”It won't do any good.”
 
There was a long pause. Finally, Ichigo wrote back, “You know my father is really important in the government, right?”
 
“Yes,” Washi said, “You've told me that. But he can't help me.”
 
“Why not?” She asked. “He can talk to someone in charge of the housing in Hell, and he can easily get you moved to a better location.”
 
Washi bit his lip. He hated lying to her, but he knew that if he told her who he was; what he was, she'd never speak to him again. Well, he didn't actually know that. She seemed to be an open-minded girl, but he couldn't be sure. Still, not telling her was tearing him apart. “Ichigo, I have to tell you something.”
 
“What is it?” she asked.
 
“I've been lying to you,” he said.
 
There was a pause. “You're an angel?” she asked.
 
Washi stared at the words on the screen, mesmerized. Finally, he responded. “A half-breed.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“For what?”
 
“I'm sorry that I'm not who you thought I was.”
 
“Washi, I like you for who you are, not what you are. The only thing you should apologize for is lying to me, and I forgive you for that.”
 
“You're not going to stop talking to me?” Washi asked. He barely noticed that the shouting from next door had ceased.
 
“Of course not,” Ichigo said. “I love you.”
 
Washi breathed a sigh of relief. “I love you, too,” he said, hoping that his smile could be transmitted over the internet.
 
It was. “I'm glad,” Ichigo said.
 
 
 
 
Yasuo wrapped himself in a towel as he stepped out of the shower, habitually grabbing his cell phone off of the sink as he entered his room. He sat on his bed and tossed his phone aside as he dressed for bed. Just as he was pulling on his pants, however, the phone rang. He nearly fell off the bed, diving for it. “Hello, this is Yasuo,” he said while hanging off of the bed.
 
“Hey, Yasuo.” Yasuo sat up, realizing it was Sadako.
 
“Hey, where have you been? I heard you graduated early, but you haven't been by to visit.”
 
“I'm on a top-secret mission. If I tell you where I am I'll have to kill you.”
 
“Well, that wouldn't be fun. I haven't seen you since the party, though.”
 
“Yeah, we had to leave really quickly.”
 
“'We?' Oh, you mean you and Ami, right?”
 
“Yeah,” Sadako said, “Exactly. We should be home soon.”
 
“How soon?” Yasuo asked. “The parties are no fun without you.”
 
“I've only been gone three days. How many parties have you had?”
 
“Well, the first one was a going-away party for you, which you rudely didn't attend.”
 
“I was already gone.
 
“It's still rude. And we had one last night to distract me from my loneliness.”
 
Sadako scoffed. “Poor baby.”
 
“You really can't tell me where you are?” Yasuo asked. “Or is it really a top-secret government mission?”
 
“I'm not answering that.”
 
“You met a guy, didn't you?”
 
“Technically, yes, I've met a few, but you don't need to worry about them.”
 
“Why not?” Yasuo asked. “I am worried.”
 
“Believe me, you shouldn't be. I'll tell you about it when I can. But for now, I have to go.”
 
“What? Really?”
 
“Yeah, sorry. I have to call my parents.”
 
“Oh, well. If that's the case, then you have to. You'll call tomorrow, though, right?”
 
“Of course,” Sadako said. “Definitely.”
 
“You'd better,” Yasuo said. “Good night, then.”
 
“Good night.”
 
 
 
Suoh untied his long black ponytail and walked out of the school gym. He walked down the long path toward the teachers' dormitory. The sky was dark and thunder rumbled in the distance. He glanced at his cell phone, wondering what time it was, and saw that he was receiving a call. He'd forgotten that he had left it on vibrate. He considered letting it go to voicemail.
 
“It might be Maeko, though,” he thought aloud. He flipped open the phone. “Hello?”
 
“Suoh!” the voice on the other end squealed.
 
Suoh winced, but he could contain his excitement no better than she could. “Maeko!” He caught himself, and looked around. When he was assured that there was nobody else around, he continued, “Are you okay?”
 
“I'm fine,” Maeko said. “I can take care of myself.”
 
“Oh, I know,” Suoh replied. “I still worry, though. I haven't seen you since you left. Are you finished with your…” He fished for the word. “…Mission…yet?”
 
“Not yet,” Maeko said sadly. “Although I was given this…phone…thing…to use to call you and my dad.”
 
“Have you spoken to your father yet?”
 
“No,” Maeko said. “Because I'll have to tell him about us, and he won't be happy.”
 
Suoh frowned. “He has to find out sometime.”
 
“I know, but he'll be angry. He might come after you. He does that.”
 
“Does he, really?”
 
“Well, no. I've never seen him do it.” Maeko laughed. “But he is really protective. And he'd think you were a pervert.”
 
“Not that much of a pervert,” Suoh said. “You graduated.” He smiled. “Besides, I'm not afraid. Why should you be?”
 
“Because you'd be the one in danger,” Maeko said. “I think I should wait to tell him.”
 
“How long?”
 
“Um…until after we're married?” Maeko suggested. She laughed nervously.
 
Suoh sighed. “He's going to know sometime.”
 
“I just don't want ti to be now. Not yet.”
 
“Promise you'll tell him when you get home.”
 
Maeko said nothing.
 
“Promise, Maeko.”
 
“I…promise.” She sighed. “I'll tell him.”
 
“Good.” Suoh reached the dormitory. He looked at the door. “Maeko, I'm going to have to go. I'm home and there will be questions asked if I walk in there talking to you.”
 
“Okay.” She paused. “I love you.”
 
“I love you. Good night.”
 
“Night.”
 
 
 
It wasn't going to be such a bad night, after all.