Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Twenty - Climbing Up and Working Harder ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter Twenty
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
-
 
 
“I'm climbing up the mountain, children,” Sadako sang as the group hiked up the mountain.
 
Despite her concern over the tests Keisuke had mentioned, Ami had to smile at her friend's reference to a song they had sung in choir at the academy. “Gotta reach my heavenly home,” she continued.
 
“Okay, is this an angel thing, or are you two just crazy?” Maeko asked.
 
“It's a human gospel song. They sing it in church or whatever and it's like…praising the gods or something.”
 
“Well, the Creator,” Ami corrected Sadako. “Since they use the word `God' to apply to the Creator.”
 
“Oh, right,” Sadako said.
 
“Humans are very strange,” Maeko said, shaking her head. “But then, we knw that. Like that kid…Haruki, right? He was weird.”
 
“I kind of wondered why his people were off hunting and they left him alone,” Ichigo said.
 
“That is kind of weird. Maybe they left him behind to keep watch or something,” Sadako said.
 
“Or maybe he was lying about there being others,” Maeko said.
 
“Well, there were a lot of little huts. I think there were other people living there,” Ichigo reminded here.
 
“That's true. Maybe he was annoying and they all left him behind, then.”
 
Ami shrugged. “It doesn't really matter now, anyway.”
 
“We were just making conversation,” Maeko said.
 
Ami stopped. She glanced at the map and then at the path in front of her. “Um…Maeko, can you help- me?”
 
Maeko ran forward. “What is it?” She frowned, too. “Oh…”
 
“What's wrong?” Sadako asked. She peered over Maeko's shoulder.
 
“Well, the path goes north from here…”
 
“What's the problem?” Sadako asked.
 
“On the map, it shows the path curving east, right at this spot,” Ami said.
 
“So…the map's wrong?” Sadako said.
 
“Or we're not supposed to follow the path,” Ichigo replied.
 
“But Keisuke said that there was a path that should take us straight there,” Ami said. Her eye twitched involuntarily when she spoke his name.
 
“Maybe he meant the path on the map, though,” Ichigo said.
 
“I think that we should follow the map,” Maeko said. “I'm sure of it.”
 
“I agree,” Ichigo said.
 
“How are you so sure?” Sadako said. “I mean, if Keisuke said to follow the path, and there is a path…”
 
“Don't worry,” Maeko told her. “I'm a demon, remember? I have an innate sense of direction. And my gut tells me that we should go east.”
 
Ami nodded. “You're probably right.”
 
“We need something we can use to call Keisuke when we need him to clarify something. Seriously,” Sadako mumbled.
 
Maeko took my map from Ami. “Okay, so follow me. We should get to the top of the mountain in…um…” She traced her finger along the path the map told her to take. “Two days? Possibly a little less.”
 
“That should leave us with plenty of time!” Sadako said happily. “And we'll all be saved!”
 
“Hopefully,” Ami said gloomily as the group continued up the mountain.
 
 
 
Once again, Keisuke found himself in the Council Hall. This time, it was by invitation. He nervously seated himself among the other fifth-ranked angels and waited for the meeting to begin.
 
“I have gathered you all here today,” a second-ranked god said, “To inform you of a matter that has recently come to my attention.”
 
Keisuke shifted slightly in his seat.
 
“It seems that a god has helped two angels and two demons reach the mountain that contains the Chalice.”
 
All heads turned to Keisuke. He stared straight ahead, watching the second-ranked god.
 
“As you are all aware, if they are able to pass the tests the fairies put before them, they will receive the Chalice, and will be able to drink from it.”
 
A murmur spread throughout the room. Keisuke smiled slightly.
 
“At that point, the angel or demon who drinks from the cup will be granted one wish. You all know why this could be a very dangerous thing for us.”
 
There was another murmur. The god continued, “The issue here is not whether or not it was against Council rules to help angels and demons reach the Chalice. Obviously, it is. The issue is the very real possibility that an angel or demon drinking from the Chalice may cause unknown ruin for us or for the universe.”
 
“How do we know that they'll make a wish that would negatively impact us?” someone asked. Keisuke smiled again.
 
“We don't know for sure. But it is a distinct possibility.”
 
“Keisuke, why would you do something so reckless?” another god asked.
 
The room was silent. The second-ranked god nodded at Keisuke. “You may answer.”
 
“Because it wasn't reckless at all,” Keisuke replied. “I chose those girls for a specific reason. They are good people, and they would never willingly harm an innocent person, whether that person be human, angel, demon, or god.”
 
“How do you know this?”
 
Keisuke shrugged. “I just know.”
 
“There is nothing we can do to stop them from reaching the Chalice,” the second-ranked god said. “For some reason, the magical virus we gave them has not worked. We are bound by our laws not to use any other method of bringing harm to them. Our alchemist, Kazuki, has refused to mix anymore of the virus. He has been imprisoned for his disobedience, but in the meantime, we have no means of recreating the virus within four days' time.”
 
“So there's nothing we can do?” a third-ranked god asked quietly.
 
The second-ranked god shook his head. “No, sadly. We'll just have to wait.” He looked sternly at Keisuke. “For all of our sakes, you had better be right about those girls.”