Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Twenty-Two - The End ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter Twenty-Two
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
-
 
“The Council? The Council of the Gods? That Council? Seriously?” Sadako's eyes widened in disbelief.
 
“Yes, that Council, Sadako.” Ami turned around to see Keisuke standing behind them. She was about to say something to him, but the Council leader spoke again.
 
“You're probably wondering why we called you here.”
 
“Probably because we got the Chalice and Ami made a wish,” Maeko said, shrugging.
 
“Yes, well…yes. That is the reason. But the reason behind that is…we want to know what you wished for.”
 
“What I wished for?” Ami asked. “Well…I wished that all of the angels and demons would learn about what we did and how we worked together to help people…and that they would learn to put aside their differences, gradually, and work toward peace between species.”
 
“That's what you wished for?”
 
“Yes,” Ami said, frowning. “Why?”
 
“You're positive that that's what you wished for?”
 
“She said that was what she wished for,” Keisuke said. “Are you satisfied now?”
 
“I don't believe it,” the Council leader said. There was a murmur throughout the room.
 
“Well, it's true,” Sadako said. “Ami wouldn't lie about that.”
 
“It's done,” Keisuke said. “You can let Kazuki go, so that he can mix up a cure for the virus, finally.”
 
“The virus wasn't cured?” Maeko whispered to Ami. Ami shook her head.
 
“No. I'm sorry, I meant to tell you, but…”
 
“Why do you need the cure? Unless…” The Council leader narrowed his eyes. “They weren't actually immune to the disease, were they? The disease worked, but Kazuki neutralized it.”
 
“Yes, but you've seen what these girls accomplished. They couldn't have done it if they had died from the disease.”
 
“That is true,” a goddess said quietly.
 
“It doesn't matter. The Council's rules are there for a reason.”
 
“Shut up, Hitomi,” another god said. “There is no rule that says that we can wipe out entire species just because we're worried they might destroy each other one day, without exhausting all other options first.”
 
“All other options were—“
 
“Obviously not, if the god we sent out to exhaust those options managed to find a solution!”
 
The room grew silent.
 
“While this is all true, ultimately, the decision must be put to a vote. All standing members of the Council are to decide. First, all in favor of releasing the prisoner, Kazuki, raise your hands.”
 
About two-thirds of the gods, including Keisuke, raised their hands.
 
“Very well,” the Council leader said. He nodded toward the guards behind him. “Release the prisoner.”
 
Within seconds, Kazuki materialized in front of the Council. He seemed very disoriented.
 
“Our next order of business: All those in favor of allowing Kazuki to mix an antidote to the magical virus, raise your hands.”
 
The same two-thirds raised their hands.
 
“Get on that, then,” the Council leader said. “And our last topic of business: All those in favor of imprisoning Keisuke for breaking the rules of the Council, raise your hands.”
 
Only Hitomi and a few other gods raised their hands.
 
“Then we have decided. Keisuke, you are cleared of all charges. As soon as the antidote is prepared, the angels and demons will be injected with it. This meeting is adjourned.”
 
There was another flash of light, and then it was gone. Ami stood alone in a field in Heaven. She sighed.
 
“Did you think about this when you made that wish?” Ami turned around to face Keisuke, realizing that she wasn't as alone as she thought she was.
 
“I did,” she said, looking around at the field. “But I decided that it was worth it.”
 
“It probably was.” Keisuke's eyes softened as he looked at the girl who was now homeless.
 
“I was going to join the military after graduating, of course. And they would have provided me with shelter…but now…” She sighed. “I guess I can make it on my own. I'm sure a lot of people do it all the time.”
 
“You shouldn't have to do that,” Keisuke said. “We could search Heaven and find your family.”
 
“They don't want me. They dropped me off at the academy when I was four. I don't even remember them.”
 
“The gods have resources to find people.”
 
“If they didn't want me then, they won't want me now. It's not worth it. I'm fine.”
 
“Except that you're not,” Keisuke said. “You will be considered a hero, soon.”
 
“No,” Ami said, shaking her head. “Nobody knows it was us.”
 
“It was part of your wish?”
 
“All they know is that two demons and two angels worked together. They know what happened every step of the way, but they don't know our names. They never will.”
 
“Why didn't you want anyone to know?”
 
Ami shrugged. “I'm used to being invisible.”
 
Keisuke was silent for a moment. “I have a proposal for you.”
 
“A proposal?”
 
Keisuke nodded. “I'm being promoted to rank three.”
 
“When did this happen?” Ami asked.
 
“Immediately after you were sent back here. Or rather, while you were being sent here. There was about an hour between the time that you were sent back and now. You probably don't remember, but you were also injected with the antidote. Anyway, here's my proposal. As a rank four god, I would have the ability to nominate angels and demons to become gods. Now, there haven't been any angels or demons accepted into our ranks for thousands of years, but I think it's time for a change.”
 
“What are you saying?” Ami asked, raising an eyebrow.
 
“I could nominate you. You would start out at rank seven, six if you're lucky. I mean, they might not accept the nomination at all, in which case we'll try something else, but there's a chance they will.”
 
“You…you could really do that?”
 
“I think that the Council could use someone who actually knows something about angel/demon relations, instead of a bunch of gods who think they know what is best for everyone. You could move between Heaven, Hell, and Earth as you please.”
 
“Then…I suppose…I've got nothing to lose.”
 
“That's right. You don't. So you'll do it?”
 
“If they'll accept me,” Ami said.
 
Keisuke smiled. He took Ami's hand. Again, there was a blinding flash, and then they were in the Council Hall again.
 
“What is it, Keisuke?” The Council leader asked.
 
“I have a nomination,” Keisuke said.
 
Several gods grumbled. “Is he serious?” Ami heard one of them ask.
 
“A nomination? We haven't had a new god in thousands of years.”
 
“Then isn't it about time we did?” Keisuke asked.
 
“Let's hear your nomination, then.”
 
“I nominate Ami. I don't think I need to give an explanation why. You all know what she and her friends have done. She is a great choice for a goddess. Most of us have forgotten what it was like to be an angel or a demon. She can remind us, so that we don't make judgments that will destroy innocent lives, like we did before.”
 
“You have presented your argument,” the Council leader said. “We will put it to a vote. As you know, you will need a three-quarters majority in order to make her a goddess.”
 
Ami looked at Keisuke nervously. “Three quarters?” she whispered.
 
Keisuke said nothing.
 
“All in favor?” The Council leader asked.
 
Slowly, gods started raising their hands.
 
“It looks like I'll have to count, this time. It might be close. One, two…” Ami bit her lip as the Council leader counted the gods. “…Seventeen, eighteen, nineteen…” Keisuke held Ami's hand, squeezing it for an instant. “Twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four. Alright. And all opposed?” He began counting again. “One, to, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.” He frowned. “Who abstains?” Three gods raised their hands.
 
“So…we lose?” Ami asked.
 
Keisuke shook his head. “No, when you abstain, it doesn't count for or against the proposition. It's like those gods don't count.”
 
“It looks like, out of those who voted, exactly three-quarters agree with Keisuke's nomination. Therefore, we admit into our ranks the newest goddess, Ami.”
 
Keisuke smiled and hugged Ami, who blushed. He pulled away and looked at the Council leader. Ami did the same.
 
“Normally gods start at level seven, but because we have a recent opening in the fifth rank, I believe you can fit that position.”
 
“But—“ Hitomi tried to speak, but the Council leader silenced her.
 
“Hitomi, you have already been demoted for introducing the plan to create a virus to wipe out two species. Do you want to be demoted further?”
 
“She was demoted?” Ami whispered.
 
Keisuke nodded. “Rank six. I took her spot She'll be below you.”
 
“She went down three ranks?” Ami asked, surprised.
 
“That's what happens when you disobey the laws of the Council,” Keisuke replied.
 
“Ahem,” the Council leader said, clearing his throat. “Because you are already acquainted, Keisuke, you can show Ami her new powers and duties as a god. For now, for the rest of us, the Council is adjourned.”
 
Keisuke and Ami were now alone in the room. Ami sighed, looking at the empty space on her back where her wings had been. “I'm really going to miss my wings,” she said.
 
“I know. Everyone feels that way at first. But now you'll be able to teleport wherever you want to go. And if you still want to fly, you can do that, too, without wings.”
 
“Really? Because for the past week or so, I've been wanting to fly, but someone took that ability away from me.”
 
“Well, I do have to teach you about your new abilities, anyway,” Keisuke said, smiling. “So let's go fly around for a while. Did you want to fly around Heaven, Hell, or Earth?”
 
“How about we just go and see where it takes us?” Ami said. Keisuke nodded and held her hand as they flew off together into the sky.
 
 
 
Author's note: Yes, this is the end. The very end of Angel and Demon Wars. It's been a long journey, but it's finally here. I first got the idea for this story about three years ago, and started it immediately after. And then I got frustrated and erased it. Finally, last year, I restarted it, after planning every detail that would go into it, including the characters, events, and plot. And the ending. I knew exactly how it would end from the very first page. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. It makes me a little bit teary to know that this is the end, but I know that the story continues in my mind, and that is enough to satisfy me. Thank you for reading. And if you liked it, please review. I love you all. Goodbye!