Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Revenge of the Descent ❯ Six - A Foreboding Curse ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kai tossed and turned on her makeshift bed, feeling someone else's dreams flow into her own. She opened her eyes to see that she was in the middle of a forest. Startled, she stood up, looking around. Where are the others? she asked herself. Wait…
 
All around her were unfamiliar trees far to the east of where she lived. They were thinner and much taller, with leaves falling all around her. Puzzled, she looked around and saw that same figure that she saw in her previous dream. “Guren?” she whispered.
 
The figure did not answer her, though as she inched closer she could see that he was crying. He looked to be about eight or nine years old, and his black angel wings were hovering over his fragile body in an attempt to hide himself.
 
Saddened by this image, Kai reached out to touch his shoulder, though another figure beat her to it. This time, it was a younger looking Ilias, his hair barely past his shoulders but still in braids. Though he was young, he looked to be in his teenage years.
 
“Why are you crying?” he asked softly, setting his hand on Guren's soft red hair.
 
Sniffling, his wings parted a little so that his face showed. “Who are you?” he asked, wiping at his eyes.
 
Ilias smiled tenderly. “My name is Ilias. I used to live in the Far Eastern Lands, but my father went away to war and my stepmother hates me, so I ran away.” He frowned a little. “But I'm alright. What's your name?”
 
Guren sniffled again, bringing his arm up to wipe his tear-stained cheeks. “I'm Guren.”
 
Ilias nodded, ruffling the boy's hair. “Well, Guren, nice to meet you! Now, why are you crying? It's not good to be sad.”
 
Guren debated whether he should answer Ilias or not, and finally gave in, somewhat thankful for the sympathy. “My father was in the war too, but he died today. And when he died he gave me his power of being an empath…” He trailed off, his tears flowing down again. “And now I can't even hide my own wings!” He sobbed into his hands.
 
Ilias patted the boy's back, sitting down next to him. “Don't worry. I'm an elf, so I can help you figure out how to hide your wings.”
 
Guren wiped his nose with his arm, studying Ilias for a moment. “Really?” Ilias nodded, smiling kindly.
 
“We can start right now if you want,” he added. Guren's eyes lit up with hope as he flung himself onto Ilias.
 
“Thank you!!” Ilias smiled, hugging him back. “You're the bestest friend in the world!”
 
Kai jolted suddenly, being pulled straight out of her dream. Breathing heavily, she brought her hand up and rubbed her eyes. What strange dreams I've been having lately, she thought to herself, sighing as she sat up.
 
After blinking a few times to clear her vision, Kai saw the figure of the girl sitting indian-style and glowing brightly. She heard her muttering something in a dead language that was long forgotten, and she was mere feet from Guren as she was chanting it. “Hold it!” shouted Kai, throwing the blanket off of her legs. “What do you think you're doing?!”
 
The girl ignored her, finishing up her chant as the glow faded away. She calmly opened her eyes, facing Kai with that empty look in her eyes. “I was just putting up a simple barrier spell,” she said, feigning innocence. “Your two sorcerer friends didn't bother to put one up, so I thought I should.”
 
Eyeing her warily, Kai folded her arms. “I don't believe you,” she retorted. “If you can cast spells, why didn't you cast one around here when you got stuck in this place? Why didn't you use an illusion charm?”
 
The girl tilted her head, studying Kai with mysterious interest. “I don't know. I probably should have done that, huh?” She smiled ruefully. “Well, goodnight.”
 
Kai narrowed her eyes at the girl as she lay down on the sheets and pulled the covers over her. Goodnight my ass, she said, wrapping the blanket around her shoulders and sitting against the cold rock wall. Guess I'm on patrol tonight.
 
 
“Kai!” called Candis, vigorously shaking the slumped figure on the wall. “Kai, wake up!”
 
Kai woke herself up and sat straight against the wall, her eyes widening. “Who… what?” she asked, obviously confused. Realizing she had fallen asleep while she was on watch, she shook her head and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. “Oh, sorry. Did I keep you guys?”
 
“Yeah, we've been trying to wake you up for nearly an hour!” exclaimed Eryk with an angry look. “Were you up all night or something?”
 
Kai spared a glance at Midea, muttering under her breath, “No, it was something else.” Eryk and Candis's eyes followed hers quickly, then they turned back and nodded.
 
Kyros walked up to Kai, leaning closely until his lips were only centimeters away from her ear. She had tried to inch away, but the wall was behind her and she couldn't go very far. “Last night I saw a strange glow, but I was still half-asleep when I saw it. Was it her?” he asked quietly.
 
Kai stared stupidly for a moment, then quickly recuperated. “Yeah,” she murmured, sliding away from the prince to stand up and stretch.
 
Feng eyed Midea with suspicion as the girl neatly folded her blankets. She looked up, catching Feng's eye with a look of malice in her own. Feng's eyes widened briefly, then she looked away. Something isn't right, she thought. “We should hurry,” she said aloud.
 
Chi nodded, getting into an Earth-bending stance. She slowly moved her arms around in a circle, then pushed roughly at the air, causing the rocks to blast backwards. She took her right leg and stomped it forward, making the ground guide the rocks to the outside chamber.
 
“Wow,” murmured Florian, surprised by the young girl's strength. “You've been practicing, haven't you?” He grinned, ruffling the girl's hair like he used to.
 
Chi smiled happily, replying, “You bet! I can't let you guys have all the glory all the time.”
 
Feng chuckled a bit before grabbing her bag and leading the group out towards the larger cavern. Kai, what did you see last night? she asked the water elementalist.
 
Kai shook her head mentally. We should talk about this later. I get the feeling this girl can tap into our thoughts, she replied, glancing back at Midea.
 
Feng cleared her throat, acknowledging Kai's perception. Candis had glimpsed at her momentarily which indicated that she too had overheard their mental conversation.
 
 
The group had safely made their way out of the caves, thankful for the sunshine glowing down upon them. Florian and Eryk had pulled the girls off to the side to tell them that they didn't sense any demonic aura within the caves.
 
“Not even in the other small caves?” asked Chi, looking disappointed.
 
Eryk shook his head. “Nothing at all. That girl's either pretty good at diversions, or it left,” he said. “I, for one, don't think it's the latter.”
 
Florian sighed gravely. “We should probably hurry back to the Ministry to have her questioned there. I'm sure they'll put her in a cell with magical restraints around it,” he said quietly.
 
Kai glanced over to see Guren sitting next to Midea with a blank look on his face. The girl looked like she was talking to him about something or other, and Kai thought it strange how he just took it. Normally he'd be holding his head by now, or ignoring her, she thought. Or maybe… Her stomach clenched at the mere thought of it. But his eyes look more distant… She was snapped back into reality when Florian put a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Kai,” he said softly. “What did you see last night?”
 
Kai sighed and told him about her dream and how she woke up to find Midea chanting a curse in a dead language. Florian took it all in carefully, examining every possibility and narrowing it down to what most likely had happened.
 
“Neither Eryk nor I felt any sort of barrier this morning, and we were up before anyone,” he murmured. “Guren does seem more far away than usual, and he's not reacting at all to our emotions. Perhaps she put a spell on him…?”
 
Kai sighed and looked away. It was just as she feared. That damn… Florian frowned sympathetically, embracing the girl for a brief moment. “Don't worry,” he said, tousling her hair. “We'll figure something out.”
 
Eryk hastily gave instructions to the other three, telling them that they must hurry in order to reach the Ministry before nightfall. Soon the group was dashing through the forest, stopping only once for lunch. It wasn't until nighttime when they had no choice but to camp out that Kai was able to talk to Guren while everyone else slept.
 
Lord Kyros slowly opened an eye, watching Kai as she attempted to talk to Guren. He looks more like himself now, he thought, watching as she muttered something about Midea.
 
“Guren, did Midea… Did you feel anything last night?” she asked tentatively, refusing to meet Guren's eyes.
 
Guren cocked a brow, his eyes looking hollow once more. “No, I felt nothing,” he answered vacantly.
 
Kai's eyes snapped open as she turned to look Guren straight in the eye. “But Guren, last night I woke up and found her placing a spell on you!” she exclaimed, keeping her voice as low as she could. “You're not yourself anymore, are you, Guren?”
 
Guren glared, though there was still no emotion behind his eyes. “What do you mean? Of course I'm myself,” he retorted. “I don't need you to tell me that I am or what I'm not.”
 
Kai gaped, her stomach knotting itself up. Her shoulders slumped as she got up to walk back to her own bed, when Guren suddenly grabbed her wrists. She looked back cautiously.
 
“No, wait…” he muttered, holding his head as his eyebrows knit together in confusion. “I… I'm sorry. I know I'm not myself…” Shaking his head, he dropped her hand and slumped down.
 
“Guren!” she cried, grabbing him before his head hit the ground. “Guren, wake up!” When the man stirred, she sighed with relief, setting him gently down against his pillow. Something definitely isn't right, she thought, staring angrily at the mysterious girl who was surrounded in a bright white light. Oh, no…