Original Stories Fan Fiction / Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Reverie ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Ugh, I’m so hungry” I groaned as I pulled open the fridge.

My parents had left by the time I got up, and had left a note on my desk. The note had said “Alexia, we won’t be home until late tonight. You can heat the remainders of yesterday’s dinner if you get hungry later. Remember to lock all the doors and windows when it gets dark. -Love, Mom & Dad”. Typical parents, always worrying about nothing.

I grabbed a carton of low-fat milk, a box of cereal from the cupboard, and a spoon and a bowl and made my way toward the living room. As I walked out of the kitchen, I noticed the calendar on the wall by the kitchen table; it said ‘Saturday, February 29th’. ‘what a strange day for me to finally notice the date’ I thought.

I sat down on the couch in the living room facing the TV and switched it on, flipping through random channels, finally settling on an old cartoon I used to watch as a child. It was going to be a painfully slow day; I could feel it. I ate my cereal slowly, secretly hoping something would burst out of it, making my life somewhat more exciting.

After I finally finished eating, I continued to stare at the TV, not really watching it. I thought about the first day I moved into my house less than two month ago, dreading every second of the move. I left behind my closest friends and everything I had grown to love throughout my 17 years of life. Sure, my new house was big and roomy, but it felt so different compared to my small and cozy house back at North Carolina. I decided to stop thinking about it, then. My thoughts would cause me to go back into depression, and I knew it would take more than just a few weeks to get out of it if it happened again.

I went back into the kitchen, putting away the milk and cereal and washing the bowl and spoon. As soon as everything was where it was supposed to be, I walked out of the kitchen and made my way toward my room. As I passed through the stairwell, I suddenly felt a chill go down my spine and a wave of panic rushed through me. I stopped dead in my tracks and tried to find out why this suddenly happened. I found nothing out of the ordinary. Deciding that it nothing more than my overactive imagination, I continued walking until I got in front of my bedroom.

The second I opened the door to my room, a disgustingly strong scent of lavender wafted out and made me nauseous. I started to walk into the room, trying to find the source of the smell, when the same feeling of panic from earlier returned, but this time, it was stronger. I nervously continued to walk around the room when I felt something touch my leg. It was a hand. I lost my balance then, crashing my head into the bedpost. I fell on the floor, completely disoriented, groping around to find what had caused me to trip; my head felt like it was going to split open. I thought I felt something touch my calf again, when a bright blue light flashed in my face. After that, I blacked out.