Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ In the Heart of the Dragon Prince ❯ The Story Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In the Heart of the Dragon Prince
By Kannachan
 
Chapter one
 
She panted, and glanced back as she ran. They were still there; how long would they follow her? They were in a stone tunnel, for crying out loud, and probably couldn't even see!
 
Which brought up the question, how were they following her?
 
She kept running, glancing back as she hastened her pace; they easily matched it.
 
“Stop it- stop following me! I have nothing for you!” Her voice bounced off the stone walls. Once again there was no reply.
 
Her long dress and hair were getting in the way. But there was nothing she could do about it now. This was what she got for trusting him. I must take care to never see him again, she realized. Once I have seen him, and he has told his lies… I will fall again. Because she never learned.
 
She was beautiful; he told her so every time they met. And if he said it then it must be true, right? She could never be distrustful of him. No matter how many lies he told, no matter how much danger he put her in, no matter what the conditions of their relationship- He was still hers, and she his. There was a sacred bond.
 
It was sacred, right? Love was a sacred bond. She knew that she loved him. But there was no real indication that it was mutual. He had never told her, “I love you,” and had never even hinted at it. But his eyes- Oh, his eyes! They seemed to say it all. And they said the eyes never lie.
 
How can you be sure that `they ' are right?
 
This new voice enveloped her; it came occasionally, voiced her deepest fears. She had learned to ignore it. But this time, it startled her. It usually came when she was lying in bed at night, reflecting on her day, becoming part of the black hole that was slowly eating away at her heart; never had it come when she was fully awake.
 
She stumbled, tripping on the front of her dress; a long tear spread across, dangerously high above her knees. But this was no time to be picky. Glancing back yet again, she gauged her lead; not good, they were gaining ground much too quickly. She tore off the bottom of her dress, wincing at the loud noise as the delicate silk ripped. There would be no salvaging of this dress. He would be mad.
 
NO! Stop it! You need to run away, stop thinking… Just RUN!
 
She jumped to her feet and dashed forward- then fell again. “What the-!” Her head knocked against the corner of the steps in front of her that she had not seen, even with her vision. Her vision darkened and swirled. There was no way she was escaping now.
 
Her last thought as she lost consciousness was, What if they kill me? Then I will never finish my duty!
 
***Authors Note***
Please review this! I have not received a single review so far! If you read this, please just give me a simple yes or no if I should continue! And any serious reviews would be greatly appreciated.This first chapter does not introduce it, but this will be a heavily fantastical series.