Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Friendly Faces ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was in the early afternoon when the city appeared on the horizon. Exhausted, she urged Shirren on. She had found the city of the plague healers. At least here, she thought, she could find out what happened to those who got sick. She felt a flutter in her chest. She could find out what Jaser had gotten up to here. She closed her eyes for a moment. She could find out if he was still alive. She slowed Shirren down as she reached the city. She spotted an inn, a large sign outside. Scrawled in old paint was written `Rooms per night, thirty gold coins.' Smiling, she slid off Shirren. Calmly, she walked up to the stables next to the inn. A young boy was raking up fresh straw at the entrance, several horses behind him.
”Excuse me” She smiled.
”I need you to take care of my horse for the night.” Silent, the boy nodded and held out his hand. She grabbed her bag of coins the woman gave her. Taking one, she pressed it into her palm. Still silent the boy smiled and took the reins, walking him into a stable. Cadeyn smiled at him.
”Ah…thank you” She smiled at the silent boy and turned away, heading into the inn. As she reached the door, she heard a familiar voice.
”Cadeyn! What brings you here?” Feeling no resentment in his voice, she turned around.
”I know you” She said slowly. A middle aged man with bruising over his face smiled at her.
”John. I was married to Lauren. In Varshore. Feeling her heart beat a mile, she gasped for a moment.
”The crusade is still here?” She looked around madly, trying to see anyone else she recognised. He shook his head, a bubble within her sinking.
”No. They left quite a while ago now. They should be at least several cities away by now.” She blinked for a second.
”So why didn't you go with them?” He sighed.
”I was poisoned. After we left Varshore, everyone became unfriendly. They argued, they cursed, they muttered. They swore us to secrecy on certain things.” He muttered. “They effectively instilled fear into us, if we left we'd be `punished'. Some of us began to miss our families. The moment someone spoke of missing their family, they mysteriously got a `plague'. Some of us from Varshore spoke up, suspecting foul play. That night, we all were violently ill. The rest didn't dare speak a word. They left us for dead, until the Calenbree healers found us.” He hung his head. “I was the only one that survived.” Cadeyn looked down.
”I am sorry.” She whispered. He sighed.
”Its alright miss. How is it back home?” She let out a sigh.
”They are not doing so well. Kemp was murdered by another village…there is much to worry for.” He stopped her for a moment, raising his hand.
”I'll buy you a drink. We can catch up then.” He smiled softly as she nodded.
”There is much to catch up on” She smiled, walking into the inn.

”And so…that's how I got here…” she sighed. She had explained to him everything, from the village battle, to Saiena, to Shirren. He bowed his head and sighed.
”I plan to return to Varshore. I shall tell them you reached here.” He smiled.
”It'll work out alright, Cadeyn. Don't you worry. I suppose you wanted to know about Jaser.” Her heart fluttered for a moment. She had avoided the subject for now, not wanting to know if something had happened to him. She nodded.
”He's beginning to climb their ranks. He's fine.” He smiled “But I can't say I'm not concerned.” She drew in a sharp breath. “He's not himself. He acts strange around everyone these days. He slaughters…anyone who crosses his path. He's …I'm sorry Cadeyn. He's mad with power.” He looked down. Cadeyn sighed, fiddling with her fingernails. “But,” He said suddenly. “I'm positive he misses you.” She looked up, hopeful. “Every time he sees a couple, he looks up at them. I can see it in his eyes, the way his shoulders slump, the way he always stares into space. The way he clings to your necklace.” She interrupted him for a moment.
”My necklace?” She felt anger start to flow inside of her. She didn't wear necklaces. Did he have someone else?
”The red one. Rubies.” She went to grab her bag. Then it hit her. She had taken her things with her - they were still lost at Orches Crest. She hung her head. There was no way to tell if she lost them or not. There was no way to tell if they belonged to her. It was possible he took one before she left. She hung her head again. She never checked them. She had never checked to see if the necklace that had been exchanged for her life was with the others.
”It was yours.” He smiled. “He's had it since Varshore.” She felt her heart skip a beat. “I think he really misses you. I'm sure of it.” She smiled.
”Thank you. Where are they headed?” He thought for a moment.
”East. They are planning on stopping at every town, city and village on the way. They would stay at every city from here, and send scouts to each village and town. Their final destination is on a peninsula on the east coast. There is a temple of light there.” She smiled
”Thank you so much...” He thought for a moment.
”They have enemies somewhere there. I don't know what they meant, but they kept on saying they must destroy the white army, whoever they are, before they find the white lady.” She frowned.
”Who's the white lady…” He shrugged.
”Wouldn't know. Doesn't sound too threatening anyway.” She sighed, rubbing her eyes.
”While you're looking for them, try heading towards Raderia. It's a gypsy town they planned to visit. You might have a bit of a chance there.” He smiled. “Get some sleep, Cadeyn. You have a long time ahead of you.” She nodded.
”I should…Thank you for your help. Please…tell them what's happened so far?” He smiled.
”I shall.”
 
That night she lay in her bed at the Inn. Exhausted as she was, she could barely sleep. Her clothes were worn and ripped. She had bathed that night, but her clothes were so dirty it made little difference. She felt empty. She had only known Saiena for a short amount of time, but she already felt empty. She had found her sister and lost her in the same week. She sighed.
”Saiena…Jaser…now I've lost you both.” She fell asleep slowly, tears falling down her face and onto the pillow.
 
The next morning Cadeyn awoke to a knock on the door.
”Your horse is ready Ma'am.” Sounded a young voice. She looked out the window, the sun was pouring through. “Is your room ready?” She climbed out of bed, slipping her feet into her boots.
”I'll be out in a few moments.” She called out. “Sorry to take your time.” Straightening up, she re-plaited her hair, grabbing her few possessions.
”Thank you miss” The maid said. Cadeyn walked down the stairs, sighing. Her back ached, her knees were swollen and she felt like she could do without riding for another day. She looked back west, towards Varshore. Closing her eyes, she sighed. Her horse was tied up outside the stables, the boy tending to his stall. Thanking him, she climbed on.
”You missed something.” The stableboy uttered from his stall.
”You speak?” She smiled and looked around for what she missed. He didn't say another word and simply pointed to the ground. There was a package with her name on it beside her horse. Climbing back down she picked it up.
Ripping it open, she smiled. Another small bag of coins, a letter and set of clothes were bundled up. She opened the letter, feeling a smile creep over her face.
I know you can save us, Cadeyn. This is just to help. John.
 
She would change after her ride today. Hopefully, it'd fit.
She started towards the east entrance of Calenbree. Hopefully, she'd find her way to Raderia. Hopefully, she'd find them. Soon.
 
 
Later that evening, when the sun was beginning to set, Saiena, exhausted, reached Calenbree. Cold and wet, she shivered. It had been a long walk and she was looking forward to a warm bath at the inn. Amongst her exhaustion, she had a smile upon her face. After escaping, she had visited the area where she had lost Cadeyn. Still there, remained her pack. Soggy, but still there. She swung open the door to the inn, exchanging coins for a key. Climbing upstairs and into her room, she opened Cadeyn's pack. Pulling out something to eat, she chewed on a piece of bread. She pulled out spare arrows, bowstrings, clothing and then a box. Curious, she tried to open it. She shook it, trying to get it open. It wouldn't budge. Frowning, she reached into her ponytail for her lock-pick. Fiddling with the lock for a moment, it popped open. Heirloom jewelry, rings and necklaces in gold shone at her, daunting her. Her mouth dropped open for a second.
”Holy Shalenti” she whispered. “Cadeyn was loaded...”
 
“Rican. Explain yourself.” The general stared at him, watching his every expression.
”I do not believe you when you say she simply “got away.” ” He scuffed his feet on the ground for a moment. Rican looked around, biting his lip. “Did you, or did you not, let her get away.” With a red tinge to his cheeks, he exhaled.
”I spoke to her. I let her run. I sent the others on a goose chase.” He shrugged, turning away.
”Why did you do that?” The general asked quietly. He looked at Rican slowly. “Are you still in love with her, Rican?” Rican turned away.
”She didn't kill her mother.” The general remained calm.
”Oh?”
”She told me that Marcus…did…that he killed his wife in Varshore, didn't he?” The general watched him for a moment.
”That, he did.” Rican frowned.
”Then why are you letting him chase her?!” He looked frustrated.
”Because, Rican. Until she can testify against him, he is under the protection of his son.” Looking up, Rican frowned.
”Carahel? What does anything have to do with him?” The general frowned.
”Carahel has authority within the Orches Crest army. He is under his protection, until Saiena can testify otherwise. We would have followed her ourselves if she had done something against us, Rican. We were only keeping him entertained.” The general frowned.
”But you betrayed the law, Rican.” Rican hung his head. “I'm afraid, I have no choice but to set you free.” Rican looked up, confused.
”I cannot allow you to stay with us. You have a few hours to find your things and reallocate yourself else where. The law states you may redeem yourself after two summers. But for now, you must leave, however unsavory the circumstances.” He sighed. “Do you have any questions?” he asked.
Rican thought for a moment “her friend? Where did they bury her?” The general raised an eyebrow.
”She attacked the priest's wife and escaped. But we don't know how. Yet. You can tell Saiena that her sister is probably still alive.” Rican nodded.
”Thanks…I guess.”
 
 
The rain started to pour down heavily upon Rican as he slowed his horse down. He stroked his mane for a moment, the warm sweat slowly being washed away with the rain.
“Sorry to work you so hard…I just need…I'm sorry.” He dismounted, flicking a coin towards the stable boy. He grinned at him as the boy smiled. He had a soft spot for the silent stable hand, after a moment or two, he flicked another coin.
“Give him extra special treatment, okay?” The boy nodded, beaming from one ear to another. He pulled his gear off his stallion, flinging it over his back and heading into the inn. Stopping at the bar for a moment, he waited to be served. It was then he saw her. Sitting in the corner, wine on the table. Her dark hair was down, carefully drawing out another map. The bartender approached him.
“You need a room?” He asked briskly.
“Yes…please.” He handed the coins over. “and two glasses of what that woman is drinking - he motioned towards Saiena.”
Saiena looked up suddenly, her heart pounding. She had heard him, there was no doubt about it. He was back, following her, this time alone. Looking down, she pretended not to notice as he came closer to her table.
“I don't know why you draw maps Saiena, you know the place off by heart.” She refused to respond, tracing the shoreline.
“Saiena? I have news about Cadeyn.” He mentioned it slowly, worried about her reaction.
“Just tell me, was it quick?” Saiena held her breath for a moment, trying to keep calm.
“No. She left Orches unharmed. Bree…she attacked her and left while in the church. They don't know how it happened, but she's gone.” Saiena let her breath out with a sigh of relief. “I didn't know you had a sister. I thought it was just Carahel and you.” Saiena winced, feeling her stomach knot.
“Don't you dare bring him up…that sick, twisted, bastard.”
“I just meant…”
“and don't you think that helping me escape will make me feel any less humiliated, horrified or resentful towards you. I still wish I could see your guts spilling onto the floor.” Rican winced, lowering her glass of wine onto the table.
“I guess I still have some work to do….I just…wanted to know…if you wanted me to help find her. I never did graduate as a thief you know?” Saiena frowned.
“Too busy with the girls?” he winced.
“No…I was accepted into the military. I can protect you…that's what I meant.”
“I can protect myself Rican! Besides, aren't you supposed to be chasing me down!”
“I want to help you. I want to make it up to you! I was kicked out of the military for protecting you” For a moment she looked up, her dark eyes staring into his. He felt his heart jump for a moment, butterflies flickering in his stomach.
“Then you may follow me. I don't know where she is headed if she did escape, like you said. But I'll find her, somehow.”