Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Bond of Trust ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 1
 
 
I wait patiently for my father and his army's arrival. His second in command, my beloved, is with them. Well I hope that he is. Three years ago they left to fight off Zander and his army of demons. I received letters monthly. Most were from my father. I rarely received letters from Trillian. Most of the letters included counts of the war and how many of the men were afraid. He said that it didn't look good on our part, and that Zander is more powerful than we thought.
As I wait my white hooded cloak flutters in the wind. Servants and guards around me bustle about preparing for out three day festival. None of them know my agony.
“My lady” A young servant stands before me and bows. I avert my eyes from the horizon to stare down at her.
“Yes Suri?” I whisper. My eyes flicker back to the horizon. I don't want to miss their arrival by any means necessary.
“Your father's army was spotted crossing the river.” A faint smile plays over my face. My agony slowly fades.
“Thank you Suri, you may continue about your chores.”
Moments later village elders along with women and their children gather to be reunited with husbands and sons. The sound of horses and their riders is like music to my ears. The women cheer as the ride up in front of us.
“Katolane, my child” My father dismounts his black horse and grabs me in a fierce hug.
“Where is Trillian father” My voice full of panic and worry. He leads me towards a black wooden carriage.
“He's alive, but sustained many wounds during the battle.” Without saying anything else,
he leaves my side. I guess he wishes to see my mother. She hasn't been her vivacious self since he left. I watch as the soldiers return to their families as exhaustion takes it toll.
“Trillian?” my voice is weak, cracked from anticipation. I drop to my knees by his side. The only part of his body that's visible is his face and even that is hard to recognize. His left cheek has a deep gash that's surrounded with dried blood; most I can tell isn't his. As I reach up his head turns.
“I love you.” He whispers. I reach for a wet towel and begin to clean his face. I watch in silent horror as the caked on blood falls off giving me a view of how deep his cut really is. The cut extends from his cheek to his neck. As the cut gets long the thinner it seems.
“You need not to speak, rest instead.” My voice gently and calming, like a mother watching over her active young.
“When I'm with you rest is not necessary.” He sits up.
“Lie down Trillian. Your body can't handle too much at once.” He rolls his eyes and run a clawed hand through his silver mane. One hand comes to caress my cheek.
“I've been away to long, I'm finally home and by your side, I waited and nothing can keep me waiting any longer. Besides I`ll heal. I'm a demon remember.” I smile
“You know I'm only attracted to your ego” I stand just as he does. His pants are bloody and scars adorn his chest. “And you need a bath you smell awful.”
“Thanks for pointing out the obvious Kat.” I smile and hug him lightly, but he pulls me flush against his chest, wincing slightly.
 
“That's what I'm here for Trill.” I let go of him and reach to pick up his shirt. Handing it to him I walk out the carriage with him holding my hand. Servants move to our side to clean out the bloody carriage and sheets. I step aside and watch them. If it wasn't for Trill I would still be standing there.
We walk in the throne room and the hall is filled with decorations. My father is sitting with my mother on their thrones talking. I smile at how my mother has returned to her old self. The mother I had to live with for the past three years was rugged, lazy, and down right life-less.
“Ahh Katolane me and your father have wonderful news for you and Trillian.” My mother walks to my side and kisses my cheek. I look around her to my father who has a grin on his smug face.
“Mother what news would that be, I'm sure nothing could be more exciting than to have our army back home.” Trillian looks down at my mother ask she speaks.
“Well yes nothing is more exciting except for your wedding that will take place in three days, that's why the halls are decorated as such. Your father and my self have decided that when he was to return from war that you and Trillian will marry.” I waver a bit, threatening to fall over.
“Mother you can be serious I mean yes Trillian and I are in love, but three days isn't enough to plan a wedding. Besides I don't think I'm ready to marry I mean Trillian just got back can we have some alone time.” I pant as I express myself knowing this might be the only chance to. My father stands and walks to my side. He takes my hand and puts it in Trillians.
“My children, you both have my blessing, and the sooner you two marry that more soldiers we have from our combined armies to fight off Zander.” I frown in disappointment. I hope Trillian isn't approving of my father antics.
“So you're using our marriage as a gain of men for a war!” I shout. Something I haven't done since Trillian announced he was leaving for war. I try not to remember that day. That sudden fear he might not return to me.
“Now Kat, don't be so negative, I'm sure there only looking out for you.” Trillian just signed with them. I can't believe him. He wanted to wait just as badly as I did, and now he's agreeing with them.
“Wait, you're agreeing with them, you wanted to wait, you told me to wait for this war to be over and now your thinking about marrying me in three days.” I snatch my hand away from his. He reaches out to grab it but I step back. “So as this festival starts you're going to announce my engagement to everyone in attendance.”
”That's correct Katolane” my father answers.
“Well you can tell them but I won't be here to agree to it.” I turn and head to my room. Trillian follows but I put a barrier to stop him. He yells but I don't stop.
I reach my room, well mine and Trillian's room and slam the door shut. `I can't believe he would agree with them.' I think. `My own parents plan without consulting me again, it never fails. Trillian and I coming together when we did was fate. Now I have to marry him so soon, I mean honestly he just got back, I don't want to marry him, he goes back to war and I lose him.'
There is a slight knock at my door. Again without my consent it opens. Trillian walks in with a cup of tea in his hand. He walks over to the bed and hands me the cup.
“I thought you would be thirsty or something.” I take the cup and smell it. It smells weird so I sniff it some more. `It's a Submissive potion'. He must think I'm actually going to drink this. I look up at him, his face void of any emotion.
“I'm not drinking this and I can't believe you would try to give me this just to submit my self to my parents!” I shout and throw the tea cup at the wall. Its contents splatter everywhere.
“SILENCE YOU WRENCH!!” he yells. He pushes me on the bed and I cower back in fear. The war changes people and I hope it hasn't affected him. He runs a clawed hand through his hair roughly.
“I'm sorry Trillian, but please don't yell your scaring me.” He head turns to me.
“Good, then you will refrain from yelling at me, I'm trying to do what's best for us and you're making it very difficult.” He sits on the bed and I take his hand in mine.
“I know that but I just don't think now is a good time to think about marrying, besides you'll be returning to war soon and I don't want to marry you then lose you months later.” I stand and walk to pick up the remains of the broken glass but he stops me.
“Leave it servants can clean it, beside I have something to show you.” I stand and walk into his arms he hugs me and I melt against his chest.
“What is it Trill?” I beg.
“You'll see.” He grins
We walk down towards the garden. His hands come to cover my eyes. I squeal in delight. We walk further till voices fill my ear.
“Now take a guess as what your surprise might be.” I ponder that question for a few second.
“Is it another garden?” I guess horribly wrong.
“It's Tecca.” I jump up and down as Trillian lets go of my eyes. I run towards Tecca and we put each other in a death lock hug. Trinadad walks out from the dragon stables and I wave at him.
“Hey Trinadad over here, Tecca's back.” He walks over. The wind picks up and blows his white hair in the wind. Tecca runs up to him and they hug.
“Umm, I'm going to show Tecca the dragon stables Katolane” Tecca blushes and follows behind him like a little baby. `I don't see why they just won't admit they like each other and get it over with.' I think. Trillian takes my hand and leads me back inside.
“Dinner will begin soon so let's prepare our selves for the other lord's arrivals.” I totally forgot about their arrival tonight for the festival that starts tomorrow.
“Yeah lets hurry don't want to be late” I say with fake sarcasm. `He must really think I care, yeah right!' I snort. `Maybe I should stop talking to my self now.' As I ponder this thought Trillian looks down at me and asks am I ok.
“Ok course darling.' I reply
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 2
 
 
I rummage through my dresses to find one to wear for tonight. Trillian is already dressed.
“Found anything yet?”
“Does it look like it?” I say. I keep looking as Trillian steps up behind me. He pulls out a light yellow corset dress that matches the yellow of his haori pants and shirt. I sigh and snatch the dress and quickly change. He smiles and takes my hand. We walk towards the grand stair case and wait. A guard announces our decent. My mother is smiling at me. My father is standing by her side proudly. Everyone claps then continues about their business.
Tecca walks over on Trinadad's arm. She's wearing a light purple dress the flows out in the waist. Trinadad's black haori pants and shirt give a good contrast between the two. Around Tecca's neck is a white crystal hanging on a thick rope.
“So I guess you two have finally realized that you love each other.” I say. They both blush furiously.
“Yes and I have some great news, well since me and Trinadad are together I decided to live here in the realm with him. No sense of leaving and were together now right?”
“I don't think that's a good idea I mean the war is going on. Were constantly under attack watches, I mean do you really want to stay now?” I plead. Trillian squeezes my hand in hopes to hush me. I glance up at him. Tecca looks at me a bit disappointed.
“I thought you would be happy for us, but it seems you aren't.” She storms off towards a table. Trinadad follows behind closely. I look up at Trillian and he shakes his head.
“I didn't mean that I really didn't.” I stammer. Is it so wrong to look out for people you care about? Why is everyone being so difficult? Why can't they just listen to my reasons?
Dinner starts and I take a seat on the right side of my mother with Trillian sitting next to me. I sigh deeply as my mother stands up with my father.
“Everyone we have a grand announcement to make.” My fathers voice bellows through the now quiet dining hall.
“Yes, we do have an announcement. As you know three years ago our daughter Katolane met her intended, Trillian. Now, three years later, they're ready to announce there engagement. They will be wed two days from now in our very own gardens. They will bond two realms under one rule.” Everyone is quiet for a moment before applauses fill the air. Trillian forces me out my chair and we kiss telling everyone that what was just said was true. He looks in my eyes as we pull away and sees how hurt I am.
“I'm sorry Kat.” He apologizes. I turn my head and sit. This goes unnoticed by many demons present. If it was them, they wouldn't refrain from striking me. No one would care besides many would think I deserved it. Tecca walks over and stands behind me putting a friendly hand on my shoulder.
“Congratulations, Katolane! I didn't know you were marrying him yet, what a surprise.” I look up at her tears falling down my face. I look away and back out to everyone dancing around and eating. Many children are playing on the floor while their parents eat.
“Let's dance Kat.” Trillian helps me out my seat and leads me to the center of the floor. Everyone clears and allows us room to dance. We dance for a while and I never look up at him. He lowers his head to mine and hums in my ear.
“Trillian you can stop, your only making it worse” I sigh. He looks back and huffs.
“No, it's worse because you're making it worse, Kat. Just stop trying to change everything and let what happens happen.” He twirls me out and pulls me back in.
“No, it's because my parents are going against me to get what they want.” I sigh deeply. Tecca and Trinadad twirl by, I attempt to apologize. I growl and step away from Trillian and follow them.
I walk up and tap her shoulder. She turns around and looks me in my eyes. A challenge, I call it. Anyway, I must do what is right.
“I'm sorry.” I state quietly and turn to leave.
“Why can't you be happy for me Kat?” she whines. I pout and rub my head harshly.
“It's not that Tecca, I am truly happy for you both I just thought you would want to wait till after the war to move here. I mean what about your parents in the human world? ” She laughs and hugs me closely. I hug back and look to Trinadad. He smiles and rubs my shoulder a little.
A dark smoke fills the room slowly as everyone tries to run from it. A dark figure emerges from the smoke with a sly grin on his face.
“Now tell me why I wasn't invited to dinner.” Zander picks up a glass of red wine and sips from it slowly. Guards start to attack him, but he just freezes them in place. “I'm not here to cause trouble, although I should when you attacked my army for the past three years.”
“You have no right to be in this kingdom Zander, you should leave.” He snickers and walks towards me as I step back.
He turns to my father, “I came for one thing and one thing only, Astral.”
“Well, you're not taking me with you, so forget it.” I hiss.
Without notice he charges at me full force slamming me in to a wall and disappearing from sight with me in tow. I land on a hard cold stony floor with no windows in sight. The smell of flesh and blood fills my nose causing me to gasp for fresh air. A swift boot slams into my stomach knocking me back a few feet. The taste of my bloody lip sends me into a state of shock. Never once have I tasted my own blood and now I crave it.
“You like the taste of your own blood don't you?” He asks. I nod meekly and cast my gaze to the floor. “Good that's all you'll eating in this room till I find out what I want to do with you exactly. I don't think killing you this early in my plan will do any good.”
“And what exactly is your plan?” I spit some of the warm blood onto the floor.
“I'm making you my mate. I'll destroy your realm, make a few kids, and once I'm done with you, I'll kill you.” He stands and I lie back on the stone floor.
“Well, can I at least have a better room?”
“And risk you escaping, I think not, Katolane.” He leaves and walks out the door.
I roll over and grip my stomach. That kick still hurts and I feel like throwing up dinner. The smell of flesh still lingers through the room.
What could he possibly want with me? I think. I really need to get home. I can't take this smell anymore. As I stand I grip the wall for balance. I take slow steps to the door. Once there I reach for the handle and turn it. Surprisingly the door opens and I'm swarmed with light.
“I knew you would try to open the door, so I left it unlocked.” I roll my eyes and step farther into the hall. He takes my arm harshly and half- drags me to his room. I'm thrown on the bed and he sits in a chair in front of me. A servant of his walks in and attends my wounds gently. I look in her eyes and see her fear, like if she messes up, he'll kill her. Which I'm sure he would. She finishes and he yells for her to leave.
“You know, one day your servants are going to revolt against you.” I say mockingly.
“Yeah, and one day your going to find out that Trillian already has a mate. Whoops. Too late, now you know.”
“You speak lies.” He stands up and walks around his room, a frown on his face.
“Listen, wench, I may be iniquitous and cunning, but I am not a liar. Your future mate -- my mortal enemy -- already has a mate. I take it as my job to watch my enemies closely and I followed him into a village. There, he met and fell for a mortal woman. Her name, I cannot remember, so you'll have to ask him.” He sits back in his chair as I lay on the hard, yet comfortable bed.
“What do you expect to accomplish by telling me this? I'm sure you know I won't believe anything you say.” He sighs fairly deeply.
“Listen you want to know the truth? Ask Trinadad, he was with him, while he was buying that crystal his mate now wears. He says Trillian ran off with another woman. To deny that truth when asked is sure death.”
“Well can I go home, please? I need to know that answer.” I roll on my side facing him. He stands and grabs my arm.
“I can do better I can take you to the village where that woman lives.” I shudder and follow behind him as we walk towards the front gates. He summons a fire dragon and throws me over and sits in front of me. “Hold on so you won't fall off.” Without warning he takes off. I scream and clutch his sides in a fierce death grip.
He smiles and shakes his head. We slowly start to descend to the ground. As the dragon lands he pulls me off and again grabs my arm.
“Must you continue to handle me so roughly?” I complain.
“Let's just go Katolane, I have other plans.” I roll my eyes and snort. The village we come to is small no more than fifty people live here. I yet again get pushed around as Zander leads the way. We come to an old tattered brown house and he knocks.
“Who knocks?” He smiles and disguises his voice as Trillians.
“It's me my love, I returned for a visit.” The door swings open and a young woman with long black hair and deep blue eyes stands there smiling. Her smile fades as she realizes who I am and that Zander is also in the village again.
“My lady, pardons for my manners, please come in, you must be weary from travel.” I lean forward and notice two bite marks on her neck.
“Who gave you those wounds, girl?” I walk in the hut taking a closer look.
“Just a cut my lady”
“You do well not to lie to me, now tell me who gave you those mating marks.”
“Lord Trillian my lady, I met him three years ago during the war, he came here for rest and food…I fell for him as he did me. We even have a child together. Her name is Anya. She's two now. I would let you meet her but she is asleep.” I stagger a bit but Zander catches my fall.
“I thought he loved me” The woman steps aside as Zander helps me. He sits in a chair and pulls me in his lap. It's awkward at first, but I melt in his arms anyway.
“I don't understand” she replies.
“Well, you're mated to her intended, the man she loves and whom she thought loved her.” I whimper and tears threaten to fall from my cheeks.
“My lady, I didn't mean to cause pain. He told me he was seeing no one at the time, I didn't know.” She starts to panic, thinking that I will lash out at her. I won't, but I let her fret for a minute.
“Calm down child. It was not your fault. I truly do not blame you. That does not mean that I am not angry, I will just take my anger out on him.” My tears have dried now as my pain turns into anger and shock. I stand up and start to leave, but Zander grabs my arm.
“Let me go. I've seen what I need to see.” He sighs, thanks the girl (I never did find out her name), and we leave. We go over to the dragon, still on the street where we left it. I mount the beast and we head off, I think of how the girl must feel, but soon realize that there is nothing that I can do about it and forget her. I have to think about how to deal with Trillian right now. When we land, I realize that I have my arms wrapped completely around Zander and my head is lying on his back. I hop down quickly, not needing his help. I come down and look around and realize that we are at my castle. He turns to look at me. I see something in his eyes…a sparkle of some sort. I don't have time to depict whether it was hope or pity before it goes away and says, “I told you so.” With a smirk he gets back on the dragon and leaves.
It seems walking in the castle is one of the hardest thing I have done in my life. So many emotions are running through my mind and none of them I can control. My mind drifts back to Zander, the way he held me, even for those brief moments, brought a wave of happiness over me, but loving someone like him is impossible. My father would have my head.
“My love you have returned.” Trillian comes up behind me and kisses the back of my neck. I mentally roll my eyes and step out of his embrace.
“How's Anya? I heard she's two years old.” I smirk mentally as he opens his mouth to tell.
“Well, she's great. I went to see her mother this past year.” Realizing he's caught, he begins to instantly apologize. I cut him off and slap him. Well that's not right I punched him. A cut forms on his lip and bleeds heavily.
“I thought you loved me, but no. You have some mortal woman and child on the side! What kind of idiot do you take me for Trillian; I trusted you and you just screwed things up!”
“I don't know what happened. She came on to me Kat. I told her I was betrothed to you. I even told her your name. She wouldn't listen to me.”
“Really? Well, how did she get those mating marks, how did she end up with a child, and why did she say you visited her happily?” His hand comes at my face, leaving a red hand print. Tears won't fall as I stare into his eyes painfully. He takes a step back from me running a hand through his hair. I grab my cheek where a tingling feeling resides.
“Did you just hit me?” I ask shocked thinking that he would even dare. He looks at me as I walk forward hands clenched in fists at my sides.
“Kat- - -
“It's Katolane to you now, Trillian. You had no right to hit me. I am not some servant you can just push around!”
“Maybe I should leave.”
“Yeah, ya think? You were going to be sent out anyway!” I watch his back turn on me and I slump to the floor. I fight back tears, but they fall anyway. I stand up and retreat to my room. I throw all his belongings out the balcony window. Luckily, the gardeners are burning trash and fire wood. I toss the clothes down and they look up at me in surprise.
“Milady?”
“Burn them. They hold no significance to me any more.” They do as told and I watch.
A small flashback plays in my head. I'm standing in a small meadow outside the castle gates. I'm playing with someone, whose face I cannot see. I must be young, no older than seven.
`Come play with me Katolane' the boy yells in excitement. I smile and run behind him as fast as I my legs will take me.
`I'm coming Zander. You're running to fast for me. Wait up.' He laughs and stops. He waits until I am close enough then he takes off again. A loud thunderous voice halts our steps.
`Zander, just what do you think you are doing playing with this wrench?' I cower back behind him.
`She's not a wrench, Father, she's my friend.' I smile and his father growls.
`As of right now you stay away from her.' Zander turns and faces me.
`I have to go Katolane, I am sorry we didn't get to play for very long, but one day we will see each other again.' Small tears slide from my eyes. Zander leans forward and kisses my cheek. He turns his back and runs to catch up with his dad.
`Wait!' I yell but he never turns around.
I shake my head, clearing it from that memory, one I've suppressed for years and years. I sit on my futon and gaze out the balcony doors. A small shudder passes through my body and I lie back. A familiar smoke appears through my balcony and I don't even bother to flinch.
“I see we share that same memory Katolane.” He whispers. I sit up and look at him.
“Yes I did and for it to show up right now is confusing to me.”
“Yeah well, I didn't mean for it to happen.” His sincerity scares me, but it's not a run in fear type of scare. More like an `I trust you' scare. I stand and walk to my balcony doors closing them. I turn to face him.
“I told him to get out. I'm sure my father will summon him back, but as of right now he's not here.” I walk towards Zander with my head down.
“There's no need to be afraid, Katolane.” I look up at him. I am now an arm's length away and he reaches one hand toward my chin.
“Really, don't fret. It won't solve anything.”
“Then what will?”
“I'm not sure, but maybe this will help.” He tilts my head up and takes the last step toward me. I know what is about to happen and think that maybe I should stop it…but I don't. Our lips meet and we share a breath before I pull away.
“No.”
“No, what?” he says.
“That's not going to help. I think it just made things worse.”
“What do you mean?”
“I can't banish Trillian, betray my father, and start something with you all in the same day.”
“But you just did.”
“I know.” I kick the chair in front of me. There is a long pause as I contemplate what I should do. He simply looks at in anticipation. I finally speak.
“Maybe we should just pretend this never happened.”
“Katolane, I can't do that. I want to be with you.”
“What? Okay, I knew you weren't really evil, but I didn't think you were capable of this after everything we've been through. You know, being enemies for all of these years.”
“We were never enemies. Our fathers were and you know that.” He walks up to me again, cornering me. He places both hands on the side of my face tilting my head to meet his. I shake my head as his lowers.
“No, we can't, I can't, it won't happen right now.” I open the balcony doors and allow a cool breeze to blow through. He walks up behind me and nuzzles his head in my neck as his arms encircle my waist.
“We can try. No one has to know.” His words calm me. I look over my shoulder at him and into his eyes.
“I'm not about to be hurt again, Zander. I loved Trillian enough to let him go and I don't want to do that again. I hate that feeling.”
“You know I'm not like that. Please just give me a chance to love you.” I step out of his arms and stagger towards my bed. He follows but I put up a hand to stop him.
“Please, Zander. Just leave, ok.” He nods and disappears but not before kissing my cheek.
“I'll be back for you, Katolane.”
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
The next day Trillian arrived. I avoided him as much as possible. My father told us to come to his study so we could talk this out. My father still does not know of Trillian's mate and child, but today he's going to find out. We enter my father's office and I sit in a chair across from him. Trillian walks in and leans down to kiss my cheek. I move my head and slide my chair away.
“Katolane, you can't keep ignoring me like this.” I scoff and cross my arms over my chest. My father walks in a stern look on his face.
“I want you two to tell me what's wrong and I want you to tell me now.” He takes his seat in front of us and looks to me for my answer. I grin and lean forward to tell.
“Father, as you may recall, Trillian has been visiting these villages recently since he returned from war.”
“Yes, I am well aware of these visits.”
“I tell him where I go all the time.”
“You weren't asked to speak, Trillian. I am speaking right now. Anyway, Father, have you ever asked him what he does?” I look to Trillian out the corner of my eyes and I notice him tense.
“No I haven't.”
“Well, let me tell you. See when Trillian goes to visit this village he stops by this small hut. There live his mate and their daughter Anya.”
“That is absurd Katolane!!” My father's voice bellows through the room.
“I knew you would say that.” I say, still calm. “So I had a servant summon them to the castle.” I walk to the door and open it. A little girl with long wavy hair runs in and into Trillian's legs.
“Dad!” her small voice yells. Trillian looks to me as his mate walks in she bows and takes Anya from him.
“Trillian is this really your mate and child?” My father questions him. Trillian looks to me and then back to my father.
“Yes, my lord. They are as you say, but it was a mistake. I didn't mean to let it happen.” The woman starts to tear up at his words.
“You said you loved me Trillian. You told me those words only a week ago. You even wrote letters to me. I still have them all. You cannot sit there and deny your love for me.” I walk up to the woman comforting her, why I'm doing this I have no clue. My words of reassurance seem to calm her. Her sobs become mere sniffles moments later. I look up and realize that my father has gone. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want us to leave. I look over to Trillian, then back at the still sniffling woman.
“What is your name?” She takes a shuddering breath and glances to Trillian for permission. He nods.
“Abriela” My father walks in, with a definite purpose, like he has an announcement. As it turns out, he does. It's about time his thinks of something smart.
“After taking this whole thing into perspective, I have decided to stick to my original plan. Katolane, in two days you will marry Trillian. As for this woman and the child, they will reside here. They will be treated as we are. Since it's his child I only see that as the right solution.” The woman bows and takes Anya's hand. Well there goes thinking my father is a brilliant man.
As my father stands I run out of the room and in to the gardens. Tecca is there holding Trinadad's hand. I walk up and punch his shoulder from behind.
“Yes, Katolane?” I stare at him and he looks over my shoulder and sees Trillian with his daughter and mate. “Let me explain, Katolane.”
”No! It's too late to explain, Trinadad. Why didn't you tell me? Was it not obvious?” I turn on my heels and storm back inside.
Once in the safety of my room, I throw clothes in a small bag. I open my balcony door and stand on the railing. I whistle for Moondancer, my dragon. He arrives and I climb onto his back. He takes off and I look down behind me at the servants running to tell. After whispering in Moondancer's ear he makes a sharp left turn. We head towards my hiding spot in the Tundric Mountains. We land I open the stone door allowing Moondancer to go into the cavern first. He sits by the huge fireplace and starts it for me. I'm thankful that I have a servant come to keep this place clean. I walk over to the cabinets to find them stocked with fresh food. I grab a bottle of sake and then I go over to the small closet I keep here. I pull out a night slip and a pair of more comfortable boots. I must admit, the outfit is not very fashionable, but it'll do. After all, I am alone. I slip a dagger into my boot and walk towards the fireplace.
“Well, Moondancer, it's just us tonight.” He snorts and lies down. I shake my head and lie next to him. The warmth of his belly takes the knots out of my back. I close my eyes and replay the events of the day.
Zander won't leave my thoughts. His kiss is one I can't forget. Even though I pulled away, I still felt it stronger than any kiss I've had with Trillian lately. And I know that Zander's more passionate about kissing me. I think for a second about what he is thinking about at the moment, about if the kiss affected him as much as me. Moondancer's loud snores rumble on my back. I open the bottle of sake and take a sip. It's not the traditional kind; instead it has more of a sweet flavor. I continue sipping the sake and thinking for an untold amount of time.
I am startled out of my day dreaming by a knocking sound. Moondancer jumps slightly, waking, and begins to growl. I stand and look around. Moondancer also gets up. The knock comes again and I realize that it is at the door of the cavern. Who else knows about this place? I think. Who ever it is, it can't be good. I draw my dagger from my boot and walk towards the door cautiously.
“Is someone in there?” a voice calls. It sounds incredibly like Zander.
“Who seeks entrance?” I call.
“It's me.” He calls. I am slightly confused.
“Who the heck is `Me'?”
“It's Zander.” I sigh with relief. I crack open the door, just to make sure it is him and the he is alone.
“May I come in?”
“Of course.” He steps and eyes the dragon with caution.
“What is this place?” he says looking around.
“It's my hiding place. This is where I come when I need to be alone, when I need to think, things like that.” I say as I close the door and stand to face him.
“It's nice.” He looks to me and his brow pinches. He then grins
“Oh, my! You'll have to excuse my, um, night clothes. Hey, why didn't you just appear like you always do?”
“I thought it would be rude. I wasn't even sure that it was you in here. I was wandering through the forest, thinking, ironically, and I saw a dragon fly in this direction. Once I got over here, I smelled you. But I wasn't sure what this place was, so I decided to knock. Agony that is.”
“Yes, I'm sure the 30 second wait was just excruciating. So, why did you come here?”
“Well, as I said, I just wanted to know who was over here with a dragon at first. Then I realized it was you and I wanted to talk to you.”
“About what?”
“Us. About today, in your room.”
“I thought we agreed to forget that.” I say as I look down and walk towards the fire.
“No, you decided to forget it. I want it to happen again.” I hear his footsteps toward me. I start to turn around; one had holding the other arm.
“What good wow-“His lips catch mine. I put my hand on his chest to push him away, but he puts both arms around me, releases our kiss, and I bury my head in his chest.
“Oh, Zander. I can't do this anymore.” I feel tears coming to my eyes and start to pull them back.
“It's okay to cry, Katolane.” He takes lifts my chin with on finger and kisses a tear that has fallen on my cheek, then wipes my face with his thumb.
“It's okay.” He says again and holds me tighter. I continue to sob for a while. Then I release him and turn toward the fire.
“I'm sorry you have to see me like this.”
“It's all right, that's kind of why I came. I knew you needed someone to talk to after all of this.”
“Yea, someone to talk to about you. I mean, I can't talk to Tecca because she's always with Trinadad and I am NOT ready to forgive him for keeping that a secret. I certainly can't talk to my parents. By now, I am pacing across the front of the fireplace. I continue.
“I'm sure he would be just thrilled to talk to me right now. I could talk to Moondancer, but he won't talk back. So I need someone to talk to…wow, I guess you're right. But I can't talk to you about you. And what I am supposed to do about us. I mean, that kiss was nice and all it's just that I can't handle being with someone right now. I am already stressed out enough. Maybe that's what I need, though. Someone to talk to, someone to love me so that I feel like maybe I have a reason to live”
“Whoa, Kat, I wouldn't go that far.”
“You know what I mean.”
“Yeah.” I haven't looked up at him once, I am watching my feet.
“Maybe the comfort of your-…I stop and correct myself “of someone's touch will help to clear my head, to make me think straight. And if I did decide to court you, then I wouldn't have to deal with deciding on whether or not to court you. Ya know?”
“Exactly, you finally see. And we can make it work without anyone knowing. We can, meet here at night and have our dragons relay messages. And, as you said before, since I am half of your stress, once you mark me off of your list, you can focus on how to deal with Trillian. And if you get confused about what to do, you can ask me.
This can work, I know it can, we can make it.”
“That's great, I can deal with that. But can you? Can you handle me always talking about Trillian, only seeing me every other night? What will you tell your father?” I stop and face him, a hopeful look on my face. There is a long pause.
“I don't have to tell him anything.” He says, looking at the floor.
“What if he starts to question where you go at night?”
“I'll lie. It's not like I want him to care.”
“But what if he does care?” Is he that thick headed?
“I'll tell him that I found a mate. I don't have to lie about that. Then when he asks who, I'll tell him we don't want to make anything public for a while.”
“Well, how long is a while?” He knows I'm not just talking about what he will tell his father. I mean, how long will it be before we can tell people?
“I don't know. There's really no way to tell. When the time comes, we'll know.”
“Okay.” I walk over to Moondancer and sit next to him. His tail slithers around my waist protectively. I push it away and tell him I'm fine. I look to Zander.
“So what do we do now?” he says and walks over to where I rest on Moondancer. The dragon growls in warning. “Hush! He is safe.” I look back up him and begin to stand.
“We meet here tomorrow.” I look into his eyes. He nods. I take his hand and we walk to the door.
“Tomorrow night.” He says, confirming our meeting. I lean up to kiss him on the cheek and takes my face in his hand and kisses me passionately. I lift onto my toes and into his embrace. His hands move to my waist and he begins to gather my gown up into his hands. He gets to the bottom and reaches under to cup my breast moving his kisses to my neck. My hands slide down to his backside. I moan slightly and then realize what is happening and pull away. My gown falls to cover my figure.
“What is it, Kat?”
“Tomorrow. Night. Tomorrow night, we can finish this.” I kiss him again, give one lap of the tongue, and let go. I reach to open the door at the same time he does. Our hands touch. I giggle slightly. We pull open the door and he steps outside.
“Goodbye, Zander.”
“Goodbye.” I close the door, looking into his eyes as long as possible. Once I am alone, I press my back against the door and slide down. I sigh with relief and then decide to go home soon. Standing, I walk over to Moondancer. After giving him one more bowl of water, I move to the fireplace. I put out the fire with ash and replace the bottle of sake in the cabinet. As I continue preparing to leave I can't help but think about Zander. The way his jet black hair moves when he walks, the way his ice blue eyes pierce in to mine when he looks down at me. I slide open the cave door and allow Moondancer to walk out. I close the door behind me and climb onto his back.
“Let's go home, Moondancer.” He takes off quickly, likes he's in a hurry. I clutch his reigns tightly as he twists and turns through the trees. I see the castle over the hill and I slow Moondancer down. He snorts, but complies. He knows who sneaks him fresh deer every week. Hopping down, I take his reigns and we walk the rest of the way.
After a while, I send Moondancer back to his stables. Going around back I climb up the balcony's vine ladder and into my room. I'm changing my clothes when Trillian walks in.
“We missed you at dinner. Where were you?” He asks. I roll my eyes and walk behind my changing screen to finish changing.
“Where I have been isn't any of your concern.” I walk from behind the screen and over to my bed. The lavender night gown I'm wearing leaves nothing to the imagination. I crawl in the bed and sit there watching him watch me.
“You should at least tell your father where you were.”
“If you must know, I was safer tonight than I have ever been.”
“I doubt that, you were always safe with me.”
“That may be so, but tonight I was in a world where I was put first.”
“Are you implying I never put you first?” I roll my eyes and turn off the lights.
“Goodnight, Trillian.” I feel the bed dip beside me and I roll over to face away from him.
“Night.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
I'm sitting in the parlor as maids pull and tug at the dress I'm wearing. I really don't want to go through with this wedding. I haven't even told Zander about me and Trillian yet. I wish these maids would hurry because I have plans. Tonight Zander and I meet, it might be the last chance we have. After the wedding, I have to stay at the palace and do my mother's job. The chances of me seeing him after the war are slim if he can't convince my father he's not evil.
The dress I'm wearing is white. Plain white. It's sleek and straight and my train is about six feet long behind me. The top is cut just a tad bit low for my taste but when your mother is my mom, nothing is tasteful.
“Katolane, you look beautiful!” My mother walks over to me and touches the hem of my dress.
“Thanks, now can I take it off?” She smiles and nods.
“Yes, but we must talk before you leave this room.” She sends the servants out and I change back into my light green dress.
“Yes, mother?” I take a seat next to her on the small futon. She takes my hand in hers and strokes it gently.
“How long have you been sneaking out to see Zander?” I laugh to cover myself.
“Mother, I do not know what you mean.” I stand up and walk over to the balcony doors. She walks over and touches the small of my back.
“Child, you can not lie to me. When you came home last night I saw you sneaking up the vine ladder under your balcony. I was in the gardens. When I saw the way Moondancer was flying I tapped into his thoughts and he told me everything.”
“I think I love him mother.” I whisper. I look to my mother and she smiles.
“I know, and going through with a wedding with a man who does not love you must be a huge burden.” I lay my head on her shoulder and she brushes the hair out of my face. She kisses the top of my head and rubs my back as I let tears fall on her black dress.
“Mother, what am I going to do? Zander doesn't know that Father it making me marry Trillian and I just can't bring myself to tell him. Tonight will be the only chance I have with him, and tomorrow…I belong to Trillian.” More sobs rack my body and my mother leads me to the futon.
“Listen, I cannot help you with this, when the time is right you and Zander will be together. Just wait.”
“How long will I have to wait? How long before my father tells me its okay to see him? Why can't father just let me choose?” I lie back on the futon and stare at the ceiling.
“I can talk to him, but I cannot make promises.” She stands and walks to the door leaving me alone.
When she leaves, I prepare my self to leave. I walk to the balcony and summon Moondancer. We take flight just as the sun sets. As we near the cave I see Zander's dragon. A broad smile covers my face, but them slowly fades. Moondancer lands and I open the cave door. Zander is in there, shirtless, starting a fire. I watch as he bends over the muscles in his back contract, rippling under his skin. His black hair is loose and hanging over his shoulders. I smile as he turns to face me. Our eyes meet and it seems they share a kiss of their own.
“It's about time you arrived. I thought I would have to send Agora to get you herself.' He teases.
“Agora?” I walk over to him and into his outstretched arms. His lips find there way to mine.
“My dragon.” He takes me over to the makeshift bed. He lies me down and hovers over me on his elbows. I circle my hands around his waist and up the length of his back resting on his shoulders. “Now, to pick up where we left off yesterday.” His head lowers to kiss the nape of my neck. A small growl comes from his throat when I push him off a little.
“We need to talk. I have something to tell you.” I sit up and he leans against the wall. He reaches out and pulls me in his lap. His head comes to rest on my shoulder.
”Okay, what do we need to talk about?” I sit up and look into his eyes.
“My father is making me marry Trillian tomorrow, and before you get angry with me just listen. My mother knows about us. She saw me sneaking in last night. She's going to talk to my father but she can't promise us his good grace.” It's silent for a few minutes before I am flipped on my back.
“Well, then we shall hope for the best.” He looks me in my eyes and kisses the hollow of my shoulder and neck. He takes my hand in his and puts them above my head. He rids me of my clothing and I do the same to him. All that is left is our heated skin in contact with each other. I am sitting on the side of the bed as he sits behind me on his knees and messages my neck. His hands move to my breasts and raises up so that he can reach below my stomach. I lean back into his lap and he begins to kiss my neck.
The rest of the might was a blissful blur. I wake up with his head on my chest and his arm on the inside of my right leg. I try to remember exactly what happened and smile, happy that my first time was with Zander. Then I think about how to hide it from Trillian. Tonight he is going to expect to be my first. I know he won't know physically, but when I know what I am doing, he might wonder. I push thoughts of him away and stroke Zander's black hair. He moans slightly as he wakes up.
“Good morning.” I whisper as he looks up at me.
“Oh, yea.”
“Oh yea, what?” I ask half offended.
“It's morning. That's all.” He sits up and kisses me on the forehead. “When do we have to be back?” He sits all the way up and leans his back on the wall. I grab his hand.
“Let's not worry about that right now.” I straddle him and begin to kiss his neck. I nibble on his ear, then whisper,
“Last night was fantastic.” And begin kissing him again. “You were absolutely amazing.”
“I couldn't have done it alone.” He says and runs his fingers through my hair and down my back.
“Want to do it again?” He asks.
“I was just getting to that.” And so we do it again, this time much more simply, considering we are lacking clothing already and we know all of each others' soft spots from last night. Afterwards, we dress. I get a red dress from my closet and he puts on the same clothes I stripped from him last night.
“That dress looks fabulous on you. Of course, I can't see how anything wouldn't.”
“I could.” I say, with despair in my voice.
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, I'm not going to being worrying about being pretty in that wedding dress if I'm walking up the aisle to him.”
“Oh, come on Katolane. It won't be that bad. Just think about me the whole time.” He gives me a huge grin.
“Don't get all cocky just because of last night.” I walk over to the coals left of the fire.
“It may not happen again any time soon. And it will be really hard to think of you with him on top of me.” I shudder at the thought. He is already behind me and he wraps his arms around my waist as I begin to cry. I turn to face him.
“I don't want to do this, Zander. I can't do this. Not after last night. There's no way. I can't lie to everyone for the rest of my life. And I can't live without you.” I look up at him and he wipes a tear from my cheek, and then kisses it.
“It will be okay, Katolane.” I step away and begin to pace.
“How? How do you expect me to do this? What exactly do you have planned to make this work? Because I don't have anything.” I stop in front of him.
“I don't have much either, but if you keep doubting yourself, if you keep doubting me, this isn't going to work. You have to believe that you can handle it. I know you can. You are strong, Katolane.” He steps forward and wraps his arms around me. My body shakes with sobs in his embrace. Then I think to myself, I can do this. I just have to get through today and it will all be easier from there.
“You're right.” He gives me another egotistical grin.
“I know.”
“Now let's go. We don't want people looking for me.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 5
 
I watch her enter her castle from a distance. Katolane looks beautiful in the dawn light. I feel Agora hovering beneath me and urge her forward. As I start to turn around to head back to my castle, I see Kat turning back to look at me out of the corner of my eye. I hope that she noticed me hanging back to make sure she made it home. I want her to know how much I care. I quietly wish that I could tell her how I feel, how much I have grown to love her in the short time that we have been together. I begin to wonder if we will ever truly be together. My castle comes into view in a short time. I command Agora to land away from the castle so that Adalia doesn't see me coming in so late…or early.
I am walking up the castle steps after stabling Agora when a servant rushes up to me, half panicked.
“Master, where have you been?” she says.
“Why, what's going on?” She grabs my wrist and leads me inside the castle quickly.
“Adalia woke up with a fever. She's got cold sweats, and bloodshot eyes. Sir, you must hurry.” I am running now, towards my dear daughter's room. I reach her door and burst in. I stop myself abruptly and almost pitch myself forward.
“Shush! The girl's asleep.” One of the main nurses hisses at me.
“Sorry, Gail.” I whisper back. “How is she?”
“Her fever has gone down some and she has just fallen asleep.”
“What did she say about me not being here when she woke?”
“She was panicked, Sir. She ran around the castle wildly looking for you. Then she cried for a while and fell asleep.”
“When did she wake up the first time?”
“About midnight.”
“I'm sorry I wasn't here.”
“Where were you anyway?”
“Just out thinking.” She straightens from changing Adalia's wet cloth and looks at me with a stern eye. She always has been like a mother to me…and to Adalia.
“Don't look at me like that. You remind me too much of Delyth.”
“Well, then tell me where you really were.”
“Fine, but let's go into the parlor, I don't want to wake Adalia.” We walk out together and Gail closes the door as quietly as possible. We walk down the hall in silence. When we reach the parlor, I take my seat near the lone tree that grows in through the center of the room. I sigh. This is the moment I have been dreading: exposing me and Katolane.
“So…?” She asks impatiently.
“I was with…someone.”
“Who? Who is she? Or is it a she? What's her name? What's her species? Where does she live? Wh-”
“Calm down, Gail. It's Kat.” She stares at me, stupefied.
“Come again, boy.”
“You may be like a mother to me but that gives you no right to speak to me as such. I am still your superior.”
“Calm yourself, child! I raised you. I can speak to you how I want.” I roll my eyes knowing she's right. She's been here for centuries and has seen many great kings fall before my time. “Now tell me why you wish to see that wrench.”
“Mind your tongue, woman. She is no wrench, but the love of my life. Since Delyth, I haven't loved anyone. She changed me. In a good way.”
“You know what she did to you, to us.”
She didn't do anything. Her parents are the ones who betrayed us.”
“And that is why we have been enemies ever since. Two kingdoms, once allies, separated by turmoil. Separated forever. You can't break that.”
“I already did.”
“Your father will have your head when he finds out.”
“Please, don't tell him.” I plead. I feel somewhat like a child begging their older sibling not to tell mother that they were the one to break her favorite china.
“You're the only one who knows, so the only way he could find out is if you tell him. And I don't think I could ever forgive you if you did that to me. Besides, this could be the way to end this stupid war.”
“Really? How do you propose to do that?”
“Well, since we are both the heirs to the throne, when we take over, we can stop the war and unite our kingdoms.” I quickly see the problem with that plan, although it is not the same one Gail sees.
“Are you crazy, boy? That will never work. And if it does, the people will never get along the way they used to. They will still be at war even though it is officially over. Besides she's probably just playing you for fool. She is going to marry someone else and finally defeat us, all the while, making you weak.”
“That is NOT true! How dare you say that about her? She would never!” Then I think about it for a second. Gail is quiet. I think she wants me to ponder this. But I refuse.
“No, you will not talk me into believing she could betray me like that.”
“Her parents did.” Her words stop my thoughts dead in their tracks. I realize that she is right. She is her parents' child. And there is also what I was thinking of earlier: she's already going to marry Trillian. So even if she does love me, we won't be able to unite our kingdoms. And he will use their unity to defeat me, even against Katolane's will. This is never going to work out the way I thought (although, I didn't think about it much.). My mind has become a jumbled mess within seconds. I decide that I must speak with Katolane before tomorrow, our next scheduled meeting. My thoughts are interrupted by a squeaky, sweet little voice.
“Daddy?” I turn around to see that Adalia has come out of her room. She is walking towards me and rubbing her little blue eyes.
“Yes, my sweet?”
“Why were you yelling?” Gail answers her for me.
“Oh, honey, we didn't mean to yell. We were just discussing something.”
“Discussing what?”
“Just grown up stuff. Now go back to bed. You need your rest.” I hug the girl and Gail leads her back to her room. While she is gone, I begin to think of what I am going to say to Kat. How can I ask her if she is betraying me without offending her? What will I do if she is? Just then, Gail walks back in.
“Anyhow, there is no way you can keep this up with Kat. She is trouble and you know it.”
“Gail, I'll do as I please.” I walk briskly to my room and sit on the bed. Thoughts of last night enter my mind. She can't be betraying me. It was so real. I think of how fragile she was and how quickly she learned. She is going to be easy to train. I grin slightly. She really is an amazing woman. And I just can't help but consider how beautiful she is; from her innocent green eyes to her long, loose, strawberry blonde hair. I remember running my fingers through it and how soft it was. But she is her parents' child. And it does make sense: distract me while she marries Trillian and their joined armies destroy mine.
I don't do much for the rest of the day. I eat lunch with Adalia and Gail. Adalia is feeling much better, so we play a game of Hide-and-Seek. Chasing her around takes my mind off the inevitable.
“Daddy you're to slow.” I laugh as Adalia runs behind a tree. I catch her and toss her in the air a few times. I put her on my shoulders and we walk towards the meadow.
 
Arriving at my home is the second hardest thing I have done today. Leaving Zander tops the list. I send Moondancer to his private garden to rest. I'm sure flying two days in a row, through trees and hills can take its toll. I sigh and walk up the steps and through the main gate. Guards and passing servants bow respectively. I nod and continue about my way. The halls are filled with white and pink flowers.
Trillian isn't the man I love and I think my father now knows that. My mother has accepted my love for Zander now it's my fathers turn. Exile would be a definite option with him, betrayal on my own land. Loving the enemy is death, but killing me would be farthest from his mind. As I turn the corner I run into the man I'm trying to avoid.
“Father!” A hand flies to my chest trying to steady my racing heat beat. “You scared me.”
“Where have you been? Preparations for the wedding had to cease because of your absence.”
“That is none of your concern Father, I'm sure Mother has told you of my whereabouts.” He frowns and takes a step forward. He raises his hand to strike me for my quick tongue.
“Lower your hand honey, she's telling you the truth and it's about time you listened.” My mother walks forward taking my hand in hers. “I told you last night who she was with and why. Making her go through with the wedding is killing her inside. The more we try to keep them apart the more she'll sneak out to be with him.”
“I'm sorry for their trouble, but my decision is final. If any guard catches you leaving, attempting to leave, and if we find Zander in this palace then you will regret it.” He walks off leaving me to my mother reassuring words. I look to my mother who shakes her head.
“I've done all I can do. Your father will come to realize his mistake on his own time.”
“But, Mother, I cannot see Zander. I can't marry Trillian when my heart is with another. I would rather feel Father's wrath then stay here and abide by his commands. I'll leave later today. When it's time for me to dress, I will leave. As soon as they leave me alone, I'll escape. Please, Mother, do not tell him” I hug her once and head to my room. The thought of Zander and what we shared and what we have yet to share is enough to calm me.
I walk in the room with a smile on my face, one I haven't worn in the week that has past. Trillian is lying on my bed playing with Anya. She giggles as he tickles her sides and feet. I avert my eyes and walk to my side of the bed. Taking out a small journal I begin to draw. I'm not sure of the picture till it shows me and Zander together, intimately. The details of the picture bring back steamy memories. How he touched me, how gentle, yet firm he was. How he slowed down when I told him it hurt, and how he guided us both over the edge.
“Nice drawing.” Trillian looks over my shoulder and I quickly shut the journal. Anya sits up and climbs Trillian's back angry that the attention is no longer on her.
“What I draw is none of your concern.”
“It will be when I become your mate.” I close my eyes. The mating process isn't the actual wedding but what happens when the two come together that night. The two mark each other as mates. They mark each other with two small puncture wounds. Forever they belong to the other.
“That's what my father wants, and I might not even make it to the wedding.” I hiss. He stands with Anya in his arms and leaves. He turns back as he reaches the door.
“Katolane, I love you.”
“Will you stop saying that? Do you call love betraying your intended, having a child and a mate without even bothering to tell me? Tell me how that is love? When people are in love they keep nothing from each other. Just like me and Za-” I shut my mouth before I regret it.
“Just like you and who Kat?” I don't answer. “I'm sure whoever he is, he has secrets too.” He leaves the room with Anya. I lie back on the bed wishing for Zander to come rescue me. Just take me away from all this, but even I know my knight in shining armor might not come to my rescue.
I wonder what he is doing. Who he is talking to? Is he thinking about me? Maybe he is on his way to rescue me from my nightmare? I stand and walk to my balcony. Sure enough my father has Moondancer in chains and guards below my balcony. `That man is so over protective, arrogant, and selfish. Why can't he just let me have my life back? Let me stay with Zander. Then it hits me: my father only wants revenge from the betrayal of Zander's family. And uniting Trillian's army with ours is the only way for him to do that.
I go to closet and look at the dress I am supposed to be wearing in only two hours. I can't let my father do this to Zander. I have to see him. I go out to the balcony and start to call Moondancer, and then I remember that he is in chains. I go back into room and close the doors to the balcony. I pace inside my room, thinking of how to get him out of there and send him to Zander. I head down the hall towards the gardens. I reach the back door of the castle and two guards on either side of the door drop their spears.
“Where are you going, Mistress Katolane?”
“I would like to see my dragon, sir.”
“I can't let you do that, Miss.”
“What if you walked with me to see him, that way you can make sure that I don't try to escape. I just want to talk to him.” They both look at me like, “You talk to dragons?”
I can understand how they would be confused. Only royals have dragons and you don't generally talk to animals. Dragons are different, though. They have the mentality of a human with twenty winters when they are full grown.
“Yes, talk to him. Is that so hard to get?”
“No, no it's not Mistress.” They open the doors and allow me to walk outside. I reach Moondancer's gardens and his head lowers in front of me. He gives me a slight push as to tell me to leave.
“I'm sorry, Moondancer. I shouldn't have gotten you into this.” I turn and face the guards, giving them a small growl I tell them to leave.
“Mistress, as much as we would like to, your father gave us orders to stay.”
“Do you dare go against my commands? I have rule over you, also. Do as I say or you will regret it in the morning.” They shudder and hurry through the door. Once they are gone I unchain him and hand him a message for Zander. Of course he relents and doesn't fly off, but after a bit of persuading he takes flight.
I walk back in the castle and a few servants come to my side.
“Mistress Katolane, you mother says it's time to dress. She's in the parlor.” I'm ushered towards the bathing room where I'm washed, dried quickly and dressed in a pale kimono.
“Lady Tsuki, we're here with Mistress Katolane.” The leave the room and my mother hands me my dress.
“Well, put it on.” She insists. I step behind the screen and drape the kimono over the top. I step into the dress and walk back out.
“Mother, this dress is horrid. I can't wear this.” She laughs and takes my hand.
“He will love you in whatever you wear.”
“Mother, I don't love him. Father is only using me.” I walk to the futon and take a seat. In a few moments I'll be marrying a demon for whom I have no love; and I have no idea whether Zander has gotten my note or not. If he has, he should be here to take me away soon. I hope he comes. I miss him.
My father enters the room. A smug smile on his face signaling he has won this battle.
“Shall we head down to the throne room? I'm personally escorting you.” He walks over to me and takes my arm in his.
“Let's just get this over.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 6
 
I'm sitting in my study when an excited servant rushes in with a note.
“Whoa! Calm down and tell me what has you in such a rush?”
“Sir, there is a huge purple dragon outside. Agora is trying to fight him off, but she's failing.” She drops to her knees in exhaustion. I run outside and see Adalia calming Agora.
“Back inside, Adalia.” She turn to me tears in her eyes.
“Father, Agora says there's a lady is in distress and she wants you to come and take her away. Is it mommy? Is mommy alive?” I drop to my knees in front of my daughter and hug her.
“No, Adalia, she's not mommy. Now go back inside.” I stand up and usher her back inside. Gail takes her hand and takes her the rest of the way. I walk over to Moondancer and he lowers his head. There attached to his throat is a note. I take it and send him on his way. Getting back to my study I sit at my desk and read her letter.
My Dearest Zander, My love,
Tonight I will marry Trillian. I can't bear the thought of it. All I can think about is having to mate with him tonight.Do you know how hard that will be for me? He's going to know that it is not my first time and he might tell father and who knows what he will do to me then? I try my hardest to only thinkabout our time together and how I don't want it to end. It can't end. Please come rescue me. Take me home with you. We can start a life together. Just us. I love you. I know I've told you that many times,but it's true. And I hope that you love me, too, enough to do this for me. Come take me away. Love me. I need you.Trillian already has family. He doesn't need me.Please, save me…
Your love,
Katolane
 
I'm walking towards the alter. My father has a death grip on my arm. The hall is filled with many lords and ladies of other regions. Trillian is standing there, smiling. I close my eyes and take my place in front of him. I await Zander's arrival. I know he's coming for me; all I have to do is wait.
The ceremony goes off without a hitch. Zander hasn't come for me. The fear of him leaving me is evident on my face.
“Katolane, what's the matter?” Tecca walks up behind me and takes my arm in hers. Her and Trinadad's wedding will take place in a few months.
“It's nothing. I just thought my “knight in shining armor” would have come for me by now. I guess he has other plans.” She looks towards Trillian and sees him with his mate and child.
“Do you know who that woman is?” I follow her gaze and scoff.
“That's his family, Tecca. During the war he mated and had a child without me knowing.” She apologizes and excuses herself to her future mate's side. Trillian walks up beside me and puts his hand on my shoulder.
“The night arrives soon.” He whispers in my ear.
“Can't wait.” I reply sarcastically.
That night I'm standing behind my changing screen. Trillian is about to find out that I'm not as innocent as he thinks. Zander didn't rescue me today as I had hoped. I had to kiss Trillian. Just the thought of going any farther gives me chills.
“You know, you could hurry up. I've been waiting for this day forever and I don't want to have to wait any longer.” He walks over and behind the screen and takes my hand. I snatch it away and walk back to the bed wearing a light green dress that's long and covers everything. I hear him snort and follow behind me.
“Look, Trillian, I don't want to do this and I'm nervous. Okay?” I lie, hoping he believes me.
“Well, you have nothing to worry about, just lie there. I'm sure that's what you were going to do anyway.” `For your information, I happen to be very good in bed at this.' I feel like saying. Instead, I just roll my eyes. He removes his shirt and tosses it to the floor. I take a step back as he advances towards me.
“If you didn't have a family, I would at least try to put something in it.” I take another step back and the back of my knees hit the bed causing me to fall back. He pounces on me softly pinning my hands at my sides.
“Don't worry kitten, I'll be gentle.” He breathes in my ear and I shudder. His hands gather the bottom of my dress and start to lift. My breathing becomes erratic and I whimper softly. I know I'm betraying Zander, and it hurts. I feel his hands cup my breast a bit too firmly.
“Please.” I whisper. He looks down at me and grins.
“Please, what?” His lips crash over mine and he forces his tongue in my mouth. I close my eyes as the sound of glass shattering fills my ears. Trillian is dragged from me and thrown into a nearby wall. I'm picked up and my arms wrap around my savior in an intense hug.
“I'm sorry I'm late, Kat. I'm so sorry.” Zander walks towards the balcony with me in tow. Trillian peels himself from the floor and charges at us with a dagger in his hand.
“Drop her or you die.” Zander keeps walking ignoring Trillian's threat. I look into eyes, silently begging him to take me away.
“I will, Kat, just calm down. I'm going to put you on Agora and she's going to take you somewhere safe. I'll be there soon.” He lays me on Agora's back and kisses my cheek.
“No, come with me, please. Don't stay. I can't lose you!” I yell. A few guards below look up and see a dragon perched on my balcony. They turn and run to warn my father. “There going to catch you, please just come with me.” I stick out my hand to help him up.
“Don't you want them to catch me?” He sends Agora a signal and she takes off, leaving me to ponder his words.
I arrive at our cave, safe and sound. I tell Agora to wait outside just in case Moondancer shows up, but she insists on coming inside with me. I enter and, with the help of Agora, start a fire. I send her back outside so I can have some peace and quiet to think. He said that I wanted him to get caught. He must think I'm taking my father's side against him. If I was against him, I never would have fallen in love with him. I would have never given myself to him in the ways that I did. I might be married to Trillian, but that doesn't mean anything to me, “Just to my father.” I say aloud. I walk outside and notice Agora resting on her front paws. She's not asleep; that I can tell. Even though the chance of me escaping is grim, Zander has probably still prepared for it. I walk towards a hidden spring. Of course, Agora is following. As we approach, I hear a slight sneeze followed by and excuse me.
“Who's there?” I call. My dagger appears in my hand out of instinct. A small voice answers back.
“My name is Adalia. Please don't hurt me, miss!” I put my dagger away and walk towards the bush.
“Come on out. There's nothing to fear. I won't hurt you. Just tell me what you are doing in a bush in these parts of the mountains alone.” The little girl emerges from the bushes and I take her hand.
“Well, I was looking for my daddy. I saw him go this way and went to follow him, but I got lost. And now you've found me.” I smile at her courage. It's more than I can say for myself.
“Let's go inside and get you warmed up.” She smiles and takes my hand.
After feeding her and laying her down for the night. I return to the small living area and stand in front of the fire. The little girl reminds me of Zander. They share the same eyes and hair color. Ironic as it seems I push the thought away. `He would have told me if he had a child.' Only a few moments later, a familiar voice fills my ears.
“It's time we had a serious talk, Katolane.” He walks up behind me and takes my hand.
“Yes, it is, Zander.” I sit in front of the fire and stare into the coals. “Why would you accuse me of wanting you to get caught? I wouldn't do that to you. I love you, and for you to accuse me of such a thing hurts.” He sits next to me and takes my hand, kissing it.
“I'm sorry, Kat. It's just...I mean your father is combining two armies to destroy mine by doing this. And I know you don't want that, but that's what happening. And then when Gail brought up the possibility of your father using you to distract me while he moves he moves in to destroy my kingdom, I couldn't help but think that she might be right.” I reach over and turn his face so that I can look into his eyes that are now welling. I can tell he feels like the victim just as much as I do right now.
“Tell me, Zander: Do you remember the other night?” He nods slowly. A single tear rolls down his left cheek.
“How I you touched me and I you? Do you remember the look in my eyes? How you felt?”
“What's your point?” He asks, wiping the tears from his face.
“Well, was that the touch of betrayal? Were those the eyes of a liar? I felt the same way you did that night.” I lean over and lay my head in his lap. “Do you really think that I could do such a volatile thing such what you accuse me of? Do you honestly think that what this Gail person says…is true?” I sit up again, so as to look into his eyes once more.
I reach my hand out and rub his cheek. Fresh stubble resides there.
“You need a shave.” He smiles and puts his hand around the back of my neck.
“You know that I would never think that.” He leans over and kisses me.
“I don't know what came over me. Her story just made so much sense. You know I trust you.” He kisses me again, this time longer than the last. Then he stands up and walks towards the cupboard.
“Who is this Gail person, anyway?” I call across the room. “She's my head servant. She's been there my whole life.” He turns around and walks back towards me.
“Gail practically raised Ada-“ He stops himself.
“Raised who?” I ask as I look over at him. I see the little girl. She is walking around the corner when she sees Zander standing there and runs up to him. “DADDY!!” He hugs her close. He looks at me and my disappointed face over the girl's shoulder.
“I knew she reminded me of you. I just didn't think you would keep this away from me.” I stand and stamp towards the cave door. I wait outside for him, thinking about what I'm going to say. He puts Adalia to bed and walks outside with me.
“Look, I didn't mean to keep this away from you.” He tries to grab my hand, but I pull it away.
“How could you? I mean, A Child? I know now that you had your doubts on trusting me, but that little girl existed waay before your little talk with Gail. You had absolutely NO reason to keep this from me.” I am pacing now.
“Kat, just listen.” I stop in front of him.
“Zander, this makes me question everything. I mean, you think that I was the one betraying you? Now, I have to think about the possibility that you have a mate I don't know about.” I am pacing again. He grabs my arm. I try to pull away, but he has a firm grip. I look up at him with a look that says, “That's probably not the best idea right now.” and he lets me go.
“Just. Listen…Seven years ago, I met and mated a young woman named Delyth. I thought it was love, I knew it was. But after she had Adalia, she disappeared. I fell into a rut and became very cold hearted. I only cared for Adalia and couldn't love anyone else for a long time. Then you came along, as strange as that turned out and after we spent so much time together, I knew I loved you. And I wanted more. I was afraid to let you meet Adalia because I didn't want her to think that you were to become her new mother.”
“Well, maybe I can become her mother. But I can't do anything if you won't let me in. Keeping me out is only making it harder for us. I can't help if you won't tell me what's going on Zander. I have told you everything about me. I'm not hiding anything, and yet you're holding back. I opened my heart to you. I gave you something I can't take back and this is what I get in return.” He looks at me and walks to my side. He pulls me in to a hug and kisses my forehead. I push him away and sit in the grass. I cross my arms over my chest and pout. He laughs and sits behind me.
“I'm sorry, Katolane, but I thought it would be for the better if you didn't know…What can we do? You're married. Mated. Hitched.”
“I think I got it, Zander, but I'm not mated. You saved me, remember? Thank you for that, by the way.”
“No problem.” He says. I look over my shoulder at him and roll my eyes. I wrap my arms around her and put small kisses on her neck and collar bone. She is watching the stars. I'm in the arms of the woman I care about, the woman I love, and yet we're about to enter war together. I can't even begin to imagine what the future holds.
“What are we going to do about this war, Zander? We both know we can't stop it.” She puts her hands over mine and leans against my chest.
“I can talk to my father. You can talk to yours. Maybe we can come to an agreement.” I look sown into her beautiful green eyes with hope. I love how they sparkle in the moonlight. Soon, she is asleep. I carry her inside and we sleep on the floor together for the night.
 
 
Chapter 7
 
 
Two months later and somewhere in a not to far off kingdom a woman no older than twenty- eight is in her room with her new found love.
“Astral, darling when are you going to get rid of your mate and that daughter, Katolane of yours. I already let my Adalia go, now it's your turn.” He stands and kisses his lover on the cheek.
“Delyth, when the time is right. Besides you haven't even tried to get back with Zander. I'm sure if you showed up he would leave Katolane in the dust. Then we will attack and take over, making the surrounding kingdoms ours.” She smiles and walk to the futon.
“I'll get on that tomorrow. Now come to bed, you need your rest for your travel back to your kingdom tomorrow.”
 
“Where is Father? I must talk to him about this war with Zander's kingdom.” I walk over to my mother's side after returning from my cave. She seems to be crying. I walk behind her and take her hand. “Mother, what's wrong?” She says nothing but looks out towards the gates. I follow her gaze and notice father with another woman. They kiss and she takes off. I didn't see her face so I can't tell who it is. Father walks inside and I race down to confront him.
“Katolane, don't speak to me.” He says as he keeps walking.
“I'm not happy here, so I decided to go elsewhere. It's that simple. Your mother will get over it. I do not love her anymore.” He looks me dead in the face and smiles.
“You are so wrong. Do you know how much Mother loves you? But you decide to leave her for another woman. I have lost all respect for you and I hate to call you my father.” His hand raises and knocks me to the floor. A red hand print adorns my face. He hits harder than Trillian, so I'm sure a bruise will be there later.
“You cannot speak on being faithful. You leave here almost every night to see that boy. Trillian is your mate, not Zander.” I rub my cheek and fight the urge to hit him back. “Now, I want you to never mention this to anyone.” I run off leaving my father to watch my retreating back. “Katolane, my child, you will get yours soon, you and your mother.” He walks towards the parlor and down to a secret room of his. In that room sits a life-long partner, Zander's father's brother, Taro. They begin discussing how to they will take over and when to attack.
“Let Delyth handle Zander and Katolane. Once they have broken up and Delyth moves back in we can attack. I'm sure Katolane would join Trinadad in the fight to destroy him.” Taro downs a glass of sake and looks to Astral for approval.
“That's a great plan. Now we just sit back and let Delyth do her work.” They toast and figure out where to get an army. I return to my room to think. `He's with Taro.' All this time I thought that he and Trinidad's father were together. `I have to tell Tecca.'
 
I return home and take Adalia down off of my shoulders. The sun is rising and Adalia watches with Agora. Me and Delyth use to watch it together. We would try to count down before it had completely risen. What I would give to see her again, touch her, kiss her. `I shouldn't be thinking about this. I love Katolane. Don't I?' I shake those thoughts from my head and walk inside. I know Adalia will be safe with Agora. Gail rushes by my side, happy for some reason. She grabs my hand and rushes me to my study. I'm pushed inside and the door closes behind me. Standing there is the woman I was just thinking about.
“Delyth, what are doing here?” I walk over and embrace her in a hug. I take her face in my hands and kiss her. She smile and kisses back.
“I have missed you, my love. I thought of you every day I wasn't with you.” I hug her again never wanting to let go. My mind flickers to Katolane. I pull away from those thoughts and look at Delyth. She's here and that's all I could ask for. But I don't know what I'm going to do. I love Katolane, but I loved Delyth first and she is Adalia's mother.
“You have something on your mind?” she says. I look at her and sigh deeply.
“Yes, I want to take you to my cave.” She tilts her head to the side.
“Your cave?” I smile and take her hand. I call Agora and we fly towards the cave. Her arms are wrapped around my waist and her head on my shoulder, reminding me of the first time I flew with Katolane.
 
Tecca, thanks for holding my hair.” I wipe my mouth and lie on my bed. I feel horrible and fat. I gained weight; the bulge in my bell tells me so. No matter how hard I try I can't stop throwing up.
“No problem. I hope you feel better.”
“What's wrong with me? I feel like a pig.” She sits at my side and rubs my back. She quickly stands and leaves the room. Moments later she returns with a white stick. She hands it to me and I quirk an eyebrow.
“Go tinkle on it.”
“How is that going to help me Tecca? Peeing on a stick won't cure me.” She sighs and drags me off of the bed.
“Just do it.” I grab the stick and walk in to the small bathroom. I have a hard time doing it because it's so small. Finally I finish and walk back out. I hand it to her and she's silent for what seems like forever. She looks up at me and smiles.
“You're pregnant!' I walk over to her and that white stick thing.
“How can you be sure?” She goes in to full detail about how it works and where she found out about it.
“A witch? Seriously?”
“Yeah. So, when did you and Zander…ya know?” I laugh and start packing a few items of clothing. I tell her about our hiding spot, but not where it is. I also tell her how my first time was and how gentle he was. She smiles and throws a pillow at me. I hug her and whistle for Moondancer. I climb on his back, wave bye to Tecca, and he takes off towards the cave. On the way there I remember that I was supposed to tell Tecca about my father's war plans. I got to her room and started vomiting and then I get so excited about the baby that I rushed out. I decide to tell her later.
I get there and notice Agora outside. She bends her head down and I rub it. You could say we're closer than before. She moves aside and I race in.
“Zander, I have the best of news!” I drop my bag by the door and tilt my head to the side. Zander is there with some woman. “Who is this?” He looks up and walks over to me, a small frown on his face. He takes my hand in his and tries to walk me farther in to the cave. I snatch my hand back and stay by the door. Sensing my distress, Moondancer peeks his head in and huffs.
“Katolane, this is Delyth, the woman I mentioned a few nights ago. She's back.”
“Well, I have some great news to tell you.” I ignore the glare she's giving me and turn my attention to Zander.
“What would that be? Nothing could be exciting as the return of Delyth.” I ignore that comment and take him outside.
“What's the matter with you? You act as if you don't talk me. Everything you just said makes me think you want her back.”
“Sorry, I was, just, caught off guard. I don't want her back. I have you.”
“Well, anyhow, I came to tell you that I'm with child. I found out today.” I smile and wait for him to get excited. His eyes widen and he lifts me in the air. He yells to the heavens and I laugh as he twirls me around.
“You're serious. Are you sure? Do you need to sit down? Are you hungry?” I cut him off so he won't worry himself to a pulp.
“I'm fine, Zander. I haven't told my parents, yet. My father and I aren't on good terms. I caught him kissing some woman outside the gates this morning. He claims he doesn't love my mother anymore.” Zander takes my hand and pulls me against his chest. He kisses my forehead and hugs me. Delyth walks out and watches as we hug.
“Zander, can you take me to see Adalia? I miss her.” He looks down at me and kisses my nose.
“I'll be back, Katolane.” He helps her on Agora and they take off. Moondancer walks over and huffs.
“I don't trust her, either, Moondancer. For her to be returning now, during the war, is questionable.” I walk back inside and lie on the bed. As I turn back the sheets there is a note written in familiar writing.
Delyth, Taro and myself have decided that we will attack in the up coming winter months. We both want you to handle killing Katolane. Taro will handle Zander. Once they are out of the way we will attack at dawn of the next day. No one will be prepared for the attack so victory is within our reach.
Your love,
Astral
“That wrench, she's back and with my father. So she was the woman he was kissing.” I put the note in my back pocket and run out the door. I mount Moondancer and ride home. “Faster, Moondancer, faster!” I jump off his back and onto my balcony. I run in and towards Trinadad's room. I barge in and yell for him to wake up. I shake his shoulder and kick his bed a couple of times.
“What are you doing Katolane? I'm trying to sleep here.”
“I can see that, but read this letter I found. Then smell it and tell me who actually wrote it.” He sits up in the bed and the cream sheets fall from him showing off his tribal markings. Tecca is lying at his side asleep in a ball.
“Well, Kat, your father wrote this. Isn't Delyth Zander's mate?” I clear my throat and he corrects himself. “Sorry ex mate.”
“Yeah, but still, why would my father want her. I mean seriously, he wants me dead. He's going to attack in the winter months.” I walk around the room and abruptly stop. “The winter months are only two months away!”
“So what can we do? Your father can't find out we know. If he does, he will rethink his plan and probably move his attack date up.”
“I'm going to have to suck up to him. Make him think I don't know. I want you to talk to Trillian get him on board with you. Have practices with the soldiers again. Get them prepared. I'm going to have to tell Zander this and we're going to go along with their plan. I'm going to let Delyth think she has him. We can take her out first. Once she's out of the way, secretly of course, then Zander and I can prepare his father's army to revolt against Taro. He is already against my father, now we just have to put him up against his own kin.” Trinidad looks at me and smiles.
“Great, now can I get back to sleep? Tecca and I had a lon-”
“I don't want to know.” I walk out of the room and back towards Moondancer. I can't find him. How hard is it to find and huge blue dragon in your own garden? I look towards the trees and I see his tail sticking out behind one. I hear a small giggle and notice Anya calling for him.
“Draggy!” Moondancer comes out and Anya runs after him. I whistle and mount his back. Anya waves and screams goodbye. Were flying through the air and I whisper in his ear.
“Take me to Zander.” He huffs and flies towards the castle.
As we land, Adalia runs out crying. She slams in to my legs almost knocking me over. Large sobs rack her tiny frame. I brush the hair out of her face. She looks up at me, her ice blue eyes are red and filled with tears. Her bottom lip quivering.
“What's the matter Adalia? Why are you crying, sweetie?” She wipes her face but doesn't let go of my leg.
“My mommy got mad at me and she hit me on the face and made it red and it hurts a lot.” I touch her cheek and she flinches.
“Why did she hit you, and where's your father?” My blood begins to boil as I help her onto Moondancer. She lies on his spacious back and wipes her face again.
“Well, Daddy said he was going to go outside to change Agora's food bowls then come back in to play with me. I was in my room playing with the dolly Gail gave me when mommy came in and screamed at me. She said I made her angry and she wanted to kill me. I was really scared so I kicked her and ran out here to find my daddy but I ran into you.” I sigh deeply and pull her into my arms. I hug her and kiss her cheek.
“Well, how about you stay at my house tonight.” She perks up and I take her hand. I walk around back and find Zander wiping his hands. Adalia runs over and attaches herself to his leg. He looks down at her then over at me. I run over and kiss him.
“What are you doing here? I thought you went home.” I hand him the note and fill him in on the plan of action. He is shocked, but agrees to let Delyth come between us and think she's won.
“Well, I think I'm going to take Adalia home with me. I hope that is okay with you.”
“Yeah, go ahead we can meet at the cave tomorrow and have our big fight.” He smiles and walks with me to Moondancer.
“These next few months will be outrageous; between you being pregnant and us having to part. I don't know if I can handle it. I won't be able to see you and we both know the term of carrying a demon baby is unpredictable. Delyth had Adalia in less than three months.”
“Listen, Zander, I can handle myself. I can take care of our baby. I'll put my self on bed rest if it will make you happy.”
“Would you, then, because I was just thinking and-“ I put my finger on his mouth to shush him. He smiles and I kiss him goodbye. Me and Adalia mount Moondancer and I give Zander one final kiss on the cheek before taking off.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 8
 
 
I am woken with a start when I realize that there is a child jumping my bed.
“Adalia, sit down.” She plops down on the bed, giving me an extra jolt. She smiles,
“What's for breakfast?!” I sit up.
“I don't know, honey. Let me get changed and we can go down to the dining hall and see.”
“Okay.”
“Who got you changed?” I ask as I walk to my closet.
“This nice lady in a red kimono. She said she was your mother.” My eyes widen. I didn't even think about anyone else in my palace finding out about the girl. And now that mother knows, the whole kingdom probably knows. I rush to change behind the screen. I start to run out of the door then stop and retrieve the girl from the bed. I run down the hall, child in tow, and bust through my parents' door. No one is visible.
“Mother!” I call. No answer. I run out into the hallway.
“Kati, slow down.” I do as the child asks and slow down, realizing that there really is no rush. Mother is going to tell whoever she is going to tell and there is no stopping her. Besides, everyone will find out eventually; I just wanted them to hear it from me. I pick Adalia up, kiss her on the cheek, and apologize. She wipes the kiss away playfully and I then decide to smother her with kisses. She giggles, wipes her face, and kisses me back. We come to the dining hall door and I put her down so that I can open it. I see my mother and father sitting at either end of the long table. Mother is looking down and at her plate and Father is enjoying his meal as if there is nothing wrong here. I glare ate him as Adalia and I take our seats near Mother's end. Adalia begins a conversation with Mother as I tell the servants to bring out our food. I turn back around to hear this: “So you are the spawn of that-“ I cut her off.
“MOTHER!!!” I cover Adalia's hears. “How dare you even think to say something like that to her, or any child?”
“I'm sorry.” She mumbles. I guess I can understand how she could slip up like that with all of her stress.
We eat and then I take Adalia home. On the way there, I am thinking of what to say to Zander. I know that Delyth will be watching and I have to make it look real. Moondancer lands near the front gate. I lower Adalia to the ground and then hop off. I take her hand and we head inside. Before we go through the doors, I give Moondancer the signal that he may go where he pleases, as long as he can still hear me whistle. We are walking down the main hall towards Zander's room (at least what I hope is towards Zander's room. I'm only going off of simple directions from him, considering I've never been here before.) and I see Delyth come out of one of the many doors.
“Hello, Katolane.” She says, with a smug look on her face. I try my best to act innocent.
“Hi, Delyth. Where is Zander?”
“He's out in the gardens. Why?”
“I need to speak with him, but I also need to let him know that I have brought Adalia home. Actually, is Gail around? Maybe I could just give the child to her.”
“That's alright, I'll take her.” I can tell by the way Adalia is cowering behind me that she does not want to be alone with Delyth again.
“Oh, don't bother. I'll just take her to Gail if you'll tell me where she is.”
“No, it's no trouble at all. I'll just take her.” She starts to reach behind me to take the girl. I swat her hand and take a step back, pushing Adalia back with me. My innocent act is wearing thin.
“Let me rephrase that: I don't think it is such a good an idea to leave you alone with the girl.”
“And why not?”
“Oh, don't play dumb with me. I know exactly what happened yesterday and I also know aaaall about your little-“ I stop myself. I can't let her know that I know. “Your plan to take Adalia with you.” Not a good save, Kat, not good at all.
“What are you talking about?”
“Never mind. Just let me by so that I can find Zander.” She hesitantly steps aside. I walk by her with Adalia on the far side of me. I curse to myself. How could I be so stupid? Well, it could have been worse. I could have just spilled everything to her and ruined the plan. Or I could have just stopped mid sentence and walked off. Then she would've known that I know something. Now she just thinks I'm stupid…which could help in the long run.
We reach the back doors and I walk out to find Zander squatting in a flowerbed. Adalia runs over to him before he sees us. I can see the surprised look on his face as she knocks him down. That look fades as he looks up at me, knowing what must happen next.
“I brought her back first thing, as promised. Um, honey,” I begin my acting. Although, what I'm saying is not entirely untrue.
“Yes, Kat?”
“I really don't like her being here. She gives me the creeps and you know what she did to Adalia.” He stands and walks towards me, glancing up at palace and half searching for Delyth's spying face.
“Yes, I know what she did to Adalia. And I know how you feel about her being here. She and I had a talk about all of that and, come to find out, Adalia deserved it.”
“WHAT!?! Did you seriously just say that? No child, NO Child, deserves to be hit and you know that. Look at what she's doing to you.”
“She's not doing to anything to me.”
“She's brainwashing you. And soon she's going to convince you to leave me.”
“Is that what you're scared of? That I might leave you for her?”
“…Well,”
“Katalone, you know that would never happen. I know I used to love her and I had a child with her, but I love you now and nothing could change that.”
“Fine, but I still want you to meet me at the cave tonight, so that we can discuss this more.”
“What more is there to discuss?”
“Just, meet me there. Okay?”
“Okay.” He steps over the edge of the flower bed to kiss me. As much as I want to just take him in my arms and kiss him with all the fire inside me, I can't. I turn by back and walk away, pretending to still be angry.
 
 
I take Adalia inside and ask Gail if she will take her for the rest of day.
“I have a lot to deal with today. It would be nice if you would take her.”
“No problem, Zandi-er.”
“Nice save.”
I walk back to my room to change out of my gardening clothes and find Delyth sitting on bed. She smiles at me and I smile back, knowing exactly what she wants and not liking it one bit.
“Come to get out of those clothes?”
“Yes.” She starts to walk toward me.
“Let me help you.” She steps directly in front of me and grabs the bottom of my shirt.
“I don't think that will be necessary.” I walk to my closet and pull out a clean outfit. I step behind my changing screen. As soon as I am striped down my undergarments, Delyth appears on from the side of the screen.
“Are you sure you don't need any help?” I grab my clothes and walk to bathing room.
“No, Delyth.” I shut the door, almost right on her face. I finish dressing and walk out to find Delyth on the bed crying.
“Delyth, what's wrong?”
“It's just that…I'm trying really hard here. And you just keep pushing me away.” More sobs.
“It's not that I'm pushing you away, I'm backing away. You have to understand that I am really torn right now. I don't know if I should take you back or if I should stay with Katalone. And while you're the mother of my child, you still ran out on us and I don't know if I can trust you. But then there's Kat.” I pause for a moment, unintentionally, and the thought of me and Katalone's child enters my head.
“…And she's…everything to me right now. I am having to choose between my past and my present, here. You have to forgive me if I come off too harsh, Delyth.” I sit on the bed next to her and wrap my arm around her.
“It's okay, darling.” I kiss her, doing what I have to to make her believe she's winning. She puts her hand on my chest and tries to push me down on the bed.
“No, Delyth. I have to be somewhere. But maybe when I get back…” I get up and walk towards the door, holding her hand as long as possible. I reach the door and glance back at her.
“Where are you going, anyhow?” My eyes look to the floor, unintentionally.
“You're going to see her, aren't you?” She stands and starts to walk towards me.
“Yes, but like I said before, I have to make a tough decision, here. And this is the only way I know how.” She pushes past me through the door.
“Fine.” I am forced to walk in awkward silence down the hall a few steps behind her. Apparently she is leaving, too. Probably to tell Astral that things aren't going the way she planned, I think. We reach the outer doors. For some reason, I feel obligated to say something to her, to make sure she knows I'm not breaking her heart on purpose, as if she is not betraying me. I shake the thought that she might actually still love me from my head.
“Delyth, wait.” She stops, but she doesn't turn around.
“I need you to understand that I'm not blowing you off for her, but I'm simply trying to give both of you an equal chance…” I realize that what I just said sounds like they're children trying to break a piñata, “…whatever that means.” I mumble. She finally looks at me.
“I know that, Zander. But lately it doesn't seem like that.” Uh-oh, I think, she's putting on the sympathy act.
“I promise, as soon as I get back, I'll spend the rest of the day and tomorrow with you.” I kiss her on the forehead and hope that that was enough to keep her away from Astral for now.
“Okay. Bye.”
“Bye.” I go out to the gardens and call Agora. She lands in front of me with a big thud and I climb onto her back. I tell her where we're going and she takes off. On the way there I realize that she is flying a little faster than usual. It's not like she's the one rushing to see someone. But maybe she does want to see somebody. Maybe Agora is developing a little thing for Moondancer. I decide that I shouldn't question her about it until I am sure. I'll ask Kat what she thinks.
I arrive at the cave before Katalone and start a fire. I decide that this is probably going to be easier with a little sake in me. I go to cupboard and get the sake set. Then I hang the sake pot over the fire to warm it. As soon as I sit down on the bed to think, I hear a thumping sound outside. I walk to the door and open it with caution. I see that it is only Agora's tail. She's is excited and staring up into the sky. I follow her gaze and see Moondancer's big belly coming straight down towards me. I quickly move out of the way of his landing. I stay away until Kat gets down. She gets down and stands there, just a few feet away, and stares at me.
 
 
 
I wait until Zander is out of sight and I walk around to the back gardens and whistle for, Xyler, the dragon that Astral lent me. I fly towards my lover's castle. I tell Xyler to land a little farther away from the castle than usual. I get off, grab the robe that was already attached to dragon's saddle, and head for the back entrance. I take the servants' spiral staircase up to the third floor. I reach the main doors and pull my hood up before pushing through the doors with both hands. I reach Astral's bedroom door and go inside. He is not there. I decide to wait for him. I sit on the bed and brush my hood off. Leaving me no time to look around, I almost immediately hear the door start to creak.
“Astral, darling? I have some news I don't think you are going to like.”
“I'm not Astral.” I hear her say before I see her face. I soon realize my mistake and reach for my dagger. This is his mate's room also. She comes from around the door; her dagger is in her hand as well.
“Who are you?” she says. “And why are you calling my husband darling? You're that woman I saw at the gate” she charged at me, dagger high. I duck and she rolls on the bed and to the other side. She quickly stands. We are either side of the bed now, both ready to make a move. I dive at her and graze her arm.
“You bitch!” She screams as she kicks me in the side, as I am still on the floor. I roll to my side and stand as quickly as possible. Apparently I was not quick enough. She lunges at me and we smash through the doors and onto the balcony. I push back at her, but she is trained well and I know that I have lost. Still, I manage to turn around so that my back is not against the railing.
 
She gets me turned around, but I think she's still underestimating me. Time to show her whose kingdom she's this is. I tackle her midsection, slamming my dagger into her torso. We hit the ground. I am on top of her now, ready to kill her, when I look into her eyes. She is silently pleading for her life. For half of a moment, I feel sorry for her. Then the thought of her and Astral in bed together enters my mind and all sympathy is lost. I raise my dagger and bring it down hard into her chest. I stand and look down at her, deciding to leave her here to die. I throw my dagger over the balcony and wipe my hand on my britches. I walk out of the room, leaving her moaning and dying behind. I take the back servants' staircase. Half way down, I realize that I have just killed someone. I`ve just committed murder. I stop and sit on the stairs and begin to weep.
“Oh, my god.” I say aloud, not worrying about someone hearing me; though I probably should have. A few moments later, a servant carrying a bottle of sake passes me.
“Wait, come back here with that.” They reluctantly turn around and hand me the small cup. I hold it out so that they can pour me a little from the bottle. Then I think, `What the hell?', and grab the bottle from their hand. I take a big chug of the warm drink and hand the bottle back to them. They just stand there in awe.
“Well, go on. Go fetch some more and be on your way.” They scamper past me towards the kitchens. I get up and head the same direction as them, but I am headed for the gardens. I reach the back doors and push through them, leaving them open for someone else to take care of. Taking the path that leads to the pond, I decide to go for a swim.
 
 
He walks over to me and wraps me in a hug. I linger in his embrace. I look up at him.
“Let's do this.” I walk to the door. He grabs it first and opens it to let me in.
“Thank you.” I say half under my breath. Once we're inside, he leans over and whispers in my ear.
“So, do we wait for Delyth or should we just assume that she's already listening.” I, on the other hand, am not afraid to speak aloud.
“Well, she didn't follow you and I haven't seen any other dragons around.”
“Kat, be quiet. Even if neither of us saw her dragon, she could still be here.” He whispers.
“And how do you suppose she got here?” I whisper, taunting him.
“She could have walked.”
“Stop being paranoid. We'll just wait until we hear her coming or you sense her or something.”
“Fine.” He says, returning to normal voice level. “What are we going to do until then?” He smiles at me, hinting towards one last tryst before our three month separation.
“No, Zander.”
“Why not?” He says with a child-like whine.
“Look, I want to just as much as you, but she could be here any minute and it wouldn't look too much like we were breaking up if we're making love.”
“Then what are going to do?”
“I don't know. Let's just enjoy what time we have left together.”
“And what better way to do that than to-“ I cut him off.
“No.” He hughs his complaints and goes to sit by the fire. I go to sit next to him and I lay my head in his lap.
“I love you, Zander.”
“I love you, Katalone.”
We sat there in silence, happy to just be next to each other, for a long while before we realized that Delyth had yet to show up.
“Shouldn't she be here by now, Zander?”
“Who?...Oh, Delyth. Yeah she should. Hmm…”
“Maybe we should just go home.”
“Or we could-“ I quickly put my finger over his lips.
“I was just thinking the same thing.” I stand and take his hand, leading him towards the bed. He pushes me onto the bed and looks deep into my eyes.
“I love you, Kat.”
“I know. Now be quiet and get on with it.” I smile and he laughs.
“Yes, ma'am.”
We made love and then decided to just stay at the cave until dark. We knew it wouldn't take long to fly back down the mountain, so no one would get suspicious; but we didn't want to risk being caught sneaking in while it was still light outside.