Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Pilgrim Story ❯ A Pilgrim Story ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Pilgrim Story
 
Finally, it came. My one, single, fragile, chance to leave this pit they call long to Holland. I had traveled here for freedom in the political turmoil surrounding the English court. Surrounded by the Netherlanders, I feared losing my cultural identity. What if, in that far off time when I had children of my own, they did not accept their English heritage? I am not saying that I am proud of England - far from it. However, I have much to be thankful for.
 
Tomorrow I leave for the New World on the Mayflower. Along with the rest of the group that came together from England. I'm packed and completely ready - it's not as if I have lots of stuff. Being a healer also means that one must be completed devoted to ones work. The work is not physically taxing, but some days, I cry myself to sleep. There are so few of us. When we are gone, who will take our place? Girls like me, who was kidnapped to be trained, only to realize - we weren't kidnapped. We were freed. They taught us what our hearts needed to hear at the time. And they care for us, more than our own parents did. We weren't kidnapped. We were bought.
 
 
A tall, lithe girl walked up the gangplank, her hair swinging behind her, ignoring the ogling eyes of her fellow passengers. They ogled for a good reason - she was beautiful. Tall and slim, she somehow possessed the toned body of a warrior in training. Her long, black, hair was not pinned like a woman's, but hanging free like that of a girl. Yet her body was already showing the curves of a woman. Her black eyes were hooded, hiding all emotion. She carried a wooden frame on her back, to which was secured several variously sized bags. She wore a cloak, and the riding boots of a noble, though it was obvious she was not one. As the crowd stopped talking to stare, she calmly passed through them as one passes through water, and walked up to the captain.
 
After a few minutes of relatively calm dialogue, she walked over to the hatch, bent over, and placed her bags onto the ground. Lifting the solid wood hatch as if it was made of spun feathers - which it most definitely wasn't - she picked up her bags and proceeded down into the hatch.
 
From the inside, she could see rows and rows of bunk beds with very narrow aisles in between. Shrugging, she chose one close to the stairs, for safety, but still near a wall - for comfort. Placing her things on the bottom bunk, she suddenly shook her head and decided that it would be safer to place them on the top bunk. If anyone tried to steal her stuff they were in for a rude awakening. Namely, burning whatever touched her things. She didn't appreciate thieves.
 
A few hours later - after the ebony-haired beauty had finished her inspection of the place - the rest of the pilgrims were permitted down. She watched as they avoided her bed - all but for two children, an eighteen year old boy and a seven year old girl.
 
“Miss,” the little girl ventured, “Could we perhaps stay with you?” Turning around, she raised her eyebrows at the two young children. Mulling it over, she suddenly knelt down so that she was level with the girl and said, “Of course you can…?” The girl nodded her thanks and replied, “Meghan, and this is my brother Ethan.” Leaning in closely and whispering as if it were a great secret, she said, “Ethan's a little shy. He insisted that we could take care of ourselves.” Resuming her normal voice, she asked, “What's your name?” The ebony-haired girl smiled, “Elaine. Elaine of Shallot.” Nodding sagely, the little girl turned to the bunk next to Elaine's.
 
Her brother stepped closer to her. The discussion they had could not be heard by anyone else, but resulted in Meghan climbing onto the top bunk, and her brother setting various sized bundles down on the bottom. Glaring protectively at Elaine, he carefully lifted a few of what seemed to be the softest bundles up to Meghan.
 
 
The girl probably thinks I can protect her. That I can protect them. I guess she has not noticed anything off about me yet. Soon she will. She seems to also not notice my age. I'm only, what, seventeen? Her brother is older than me! Better suited to protecting her too. Seems like someone's I tried not to laugh at her naïveté. After all, I had never been looked to for protection. I stared at the two for a moment.
 
Meghan was normal enough, for a small girl. She had tumbling blonde hair and smiling brown eyes. Her hair was tanned lightly, and she seemed to be strong enough, for a child. Her brother was more of a puzzle. His hair was dark brown, and he had green eyes. He was tall, and had large hands. On first glance, there was naught amiss, just the feeling. I looked again, more carefully, and I noticed a slight bulge at his waist, and noticed that he looked slightly muscular, and more balanced than he had a right to be.
 
I smiled lightly to myself. He was obviously somewhat trained, a Miernak. To think - he tried to hide it from me, a Cassiopeia. How delightful - a boy with spine. I would have fun with him. I briefly considered telling him, now, but changed my mind. I was reasonably sure that Meghan didn't know, and I already liked that girl.
 
I would catch him alone, later.
 
 
With a slightly devious smile upon her normally expressionless face, she turned to Meghan. “Would you like anything to eat?” Meghan's eyes opened wide. “Really?” Elaine was suddenly confused. She hadn't expected such an enthusiastic response to such a simple question. Ethan scowled, immediately taking on a distinctly defensive manner, “No one was willing to give a… a young boy work. We've been having a few troubles.” Glancing over him, she nodded, been stinting themselves… how sweet. Smiling sweetly at Meghan, she said, “That's okay! I have lots of food, and I'd be happy to share!” Meghan closed her mouth with an almost audible snap.
 
Handing her a large piece of bread and slices of ham and cheese - these would rot soon anyway, if not devoured. Better her than me, when it came to eating piles of food. Beckoning to her brother, I stood and told her, “Ethan and I are going to be right back, okay?” Not pausing from her industrious eating, she nodded. I grabbed his arm and propelled him toward the hatch. As soon as we were out of earshot and I stopped and glanced at him. “Miernak, eh? Never thought they'd send one of you out here.” He paused to stare at me before his lips twitched slightly, “Cassiopeia. What do you want?”
 
My own lips twitched in response. “That just gave it away, dearest. You should have questioned me. I could be lying through my teeth. I could also be a spy. In addition, you gave away your status - rookie. No veteran would ask a Cassiopeia her business.” Ethan winced, “Your right. This is only my second year on active duty. I think they didn't want to waste anyone important.” Elaine smiled at him devilishly, “Now, laddy-me-buck, don't go making me feel bad. I happen to have volunteered.” She smiled dreamily, “Anything to get out of that gods-curst Holland. Honestly - those shoes wreaked havoc on my senses.” Ethan grinned crookedly back. “I'll be going back to my sister, now.” Elaine caught his arm in one of the lightning-fast motions her kind was famous for, “What is she? Does she know what you do?”
 
Ethan snapped back, dark eyes cold as ice. “What she is and what she knows is none of your concern.” He turned, and she let him go. As she stood there, hair swaying slightly, it was as if the crowds were not there. Her own eyes had taken on a cold tint. She whispered quietly to herself, “And do you think a Cassiopeia can let it go at that? I hear things. I will know. And when I know, you had better watch.”
 
Because once I get my teeth into something - I will never let it go.
 
 
My brother doesn't like Elaine. I can tell. I wonder why, though. Elaine is such a nice lady. She even gave me food. He works too hard. My brother, I mean. I don't know why. Always, he protects me. I watch him more than he knows. I can tell. He hasn't been eating. But I can't ask him why - he won't tell me. Or he'll eat a bit, then smile that horrid fake smile and stop. Why won't he tell me? I want to know… I think it has something to do with me - with what I am. But I don't know what I am. He won't tell me.
 
The little blonde girl stared at her brother, who was staring at Elaine (in between glaring at his plate) who seemed to be carefully studying the ground. Meghan was sure she could see Elaine's ears moving ever so slightly, but she wasn't positive. After all, it's not like people can really move their ears. Over the days since they had first boarded the ship, Meghan had noticed Elaine doing several odd things. For example, she kept producing food out of that monstrosity of a bag, which seemed to be bottomless. She always roamed around, but never seemed to be looking for anything. Her ears moved, and her reflexes were too fast. Once, Meghan had dropped a glass, and, without twitching, Elaine's hand had shot out to grab it.
 
Meghan glanced surreptitiously at Elaine, once more. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, other than Elaine herself. She looked like no one she had ever seen before, other than Ethan. Actually, she thought, glancing back and forth between the two, they look more like each other than anyone I've seen before.
 
 
“NO! Not him, anything but him! I'll do anything for you, anything! Just, please, don't kill Koiban!” Narfell laughed, that dark, evil, laughter that held no humor. The laughter I had come to hate more than life and death, more than darkness, and infinitely more than I had hated the guards who tortured me. “Please, Narfell, I'll do anything!” He only laughed, “I already gave you your chance. You threw it away. You should have given it to me - the Shikon no Tama of Japanese legend. I gave you a chance to save your little brother, and you threw it away.” I wail tore itself loose from my throat, “Please, give me another chance! I'll get anything for you, anything you want!” Narfell laughed again, and leveled the sword at my brother's throat. Another wail launched itself through the air, and I tore frantically at the bonds. “Please. I'll do anything - anything!”
 
He just laughed at me, and I could feel the edges of my power fraying at the sound of his laughter. The power that couldn't save me now. What was the use of training if I never got the chance to use my power? Why be able to use a sword, to throw daggers with perfect aim, to lift a boomerang and throw it with perfect accuracy, to be able to use any weapon thrown at me, if I was unable to save the one who mattered most to me?”
 
Elaine's eyes snapped open. This was the reason she hated being near Ethan. He reminded her of Koiban. He had been such a sweet boy, she thought fondly. Even though she knew he had the skills and strength to kill thousands of unsuspecting people, he would never do that. And… she loved him. Curse it, she still does!
 
She stood, wobbling slightly. Unbeknownst to her, Meghan watched with wide eyes, which only grew wider at the list of profanities which spilled from her lips. Stumbling over a few bodies, she neared the hatch, which she shouldered open and clambered through. Creeping silently, she traveled to the prow of the boat and knelt, tucking herself into the niche she had discovered on her first day.
 
It wasn't my fault. The Shikon no Tama was purified, years ago. It no longer exists. I worked myself half dead searching for the jewel. And it still wasn't enough - not enough to save my Kohaku.
 
 
Ethan rolled awake, sweating from a nightmare of his own. I haven't had that one in a long time…
 
His sister stared at him, heartbroken. Narfell stared at his sister vindictively, as she begged for his life. She said she would pay anything. But the only thing he wanted was the one thing she couldn't give - the one thing that can only be given once, and never taken back. Love. What was she to do? He couldn't tell her that - so she was sent for the Shikon no Tama. A useless bauble, having long been purified. He learned all this, and couldn't tell her. What would he give to have his sister back… his Seria. He stared into those eyes, crystalline in their darkness, and wished that he had would die. Instead, he was enslaved, and forced to roam at Narfell's will. But Meghan had freed him. He didn't know how, only what. The truth was, the girl was somehow magical. The one destined to break Narfell. And he couldn't tell her, because he knew it was useless without his sister. His Seria.
 
So he had changed his name. He couldn't stand to have someone call him `Koiban.' It was what his sister called him. No one else had the right to call him that. Never. And Elaine… she reminded him of someone he had lost long ago. His heart told him she was his sister. His mind told him of some long-forgotten beauty trapped forever in the lingering depths of his memories. Of course, he chose to believe his mind - who chooses traitorous emotions over logic?
 
Not noticing the empty bunk to his right, he stumbled toward the hatch, opening it and stumbling toward the stern of the ship, taking a fetal position much like the one Elaine was in, halfway across the ship. In unison, they sighed, imagining the feel of their respective sibling right beside them, and fell asleep.
 
 
Elaine snapped her eyes open, her aura rubbing against all the others almost subconsciously. Smiling fondly, though she knew not why, she paced quietly across the deck, and picked up the sleeping boy. He was heavy, being both taller and more muscular than she was, but she managed well enough. Cradling him in her arms, she paced back to the hatch and nudged it open, then walked with him through the open doorway. She carefully placed him on his bed, then moved to turn away. However, his death grip on her wrist forced her to turn around.
 
As she fought to free her hand from his without hurting him, he suddenly gasped and opened his eyes, wide and unseeing, pupils dilating almost to the point of nonexistence. He gasped out the one word with the power to scare her beyond all others, “Seria.” Elaine stopped and peered at him, then slapped him roughly awake. She stared at his face, then asked him, “Who is Seria to you?” Ethan's eyes shuttered closed, but roughly snapped open again when she shook him and asked, “Who is Koiban to you?”
 
“What do you care?” Elaine snapped, “Tell me what you know first.” Ethan's eyes closed once more, and he said, tightly, “Seria was my sister.” He glared up at Elaine's suddenly tear filled eyes. She whispered, shakily, “I care because Koiban was my brother.” Realization dawned in his eyes, as he replied, “I am Koiban.” She lunged toward him, crashing into him. Elaine nodded into his chest, “I know.” Together, brother and sister faced the new day.
 
 
Two months later
 
“Ethan! Have you seen Meghan anywhere?” Elaine came loping up toward the rise he was plowing. Ethan pointed toward the stump where Meghan was sitting, braiding wild flowers together. Elaine heaved a great sigh of relief. “I was just wondering, since I thought she was right next to me.” She cocked her head at her brother, “She seems to like you more than she likes me.” Ethan scoffed, then demanded to know what she was doing. Smiling an exuberant and gentle smile, she replied, “I'm finished with lunch. Would you like to take a break and sample something new I thought up?”